NATION

PASSWORD

If you could give advice to a new player...

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

If you could give advice to a new player...

Postby Euroslavia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 pm

What would it be?

Let's keep it serious and on-topic. Joke/off-topic responses will be removed. Repeated offenses will result in warnings.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

The Baltic Alliance
Envoy

Founded: Oct 19, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Baltic Alliance » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:29 pm

What advice would I give...

Capitalize words that need it. Do not have run on sentences. I would like more people to post more than one line or even more than just a sentence. Go more in depth. Those kinds of things bother me the most. Ah...last but not least, use correct spelling.
Nordic Lands
To those that flee comes neither power nor glory. (Homer)
"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, 4 june 1918 .

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm

1.) The writing, its got to be the writing. try for more than one-liners. It makes it much more interesting to read by others, and its more interesting to write as well.

2.) Don't take a brand new nation and unilaterally decide you have the biggest baddest army in existance. It only gets you laughed at and generally disregarded as a wanker/godmodder. Nations grow, yours will too, eventually. But a 5 million nation, in about 99% of all cases, will not be capable of sustaining a military of 1+ million, at least not without completely trashing your economy.

3.) Look at it as "fun" and don't take criticism and/or suggestions too over-seriously or personally. We are not trying to steal your lollipop. Honest. Most crtiques by more experienced players, (except those by other players who like to use 50 LMAO smilies, but thats another story), generally are offered with good intentions, even if some of us don't excel in the diplomatic area of communications.

4.) Don't try and start 6 wars your first day as a nation. Especially not with nations about 500 times your size. And "I Hate [Commies/Fascists/Nazis/whatever] and I declare War" as the sole item in the post doesn't count for anything besides loss of credibility. All new nations start with 0 "credibility points". You can go up or down from there, its up to you.

5.) Do try and make at least a basic factbook if you plan on RPing. Link it in your sig, even. It makes a good point of reference for both you and other players. It also helps you to not forget things. (something I myself do unless I leave myself 100 notes and put it in my factbook). Plus, there are lots of us who just like reading what other folk think and write about their nations.

6.) DO NOT use "text talk" when writing your posts. That never says good things about you or your ability to RP.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Essentially what Grays harbour just said, but with one more thing added on...

READ THE DAMN STICKIES!!!
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Malikov wrote:Essentially what Grays harbour just said, but with one more thing added on...

READ THE DAMN STICKIES!!!

*snicker*

yeah, what he said.

:p

(clarification: I was agreeing with Malikov, and was laughing that I had forgotten something as bloody obvious as "the stickies" in my own post)
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

New Mysteria
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Mysteria » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Any chance of making this a stickie later on? A lot of this stuff would have been a great read on my first day in the forums...and possibly would still be now. :blush:
Integral Parts of the Realm: West Mysteria, Capital District, South Mysteria, North Mysteria, Gaeltacht, Tear Island, State of Question
Foreign Territories: Geogranian Airbase (joint ops with Geogrania), New Georgia, Alexarii
Defcon Level: 4
Major Corporations: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Holdings
Alliances: Four Point Alliance

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:10 pm

One of the biggest things I'd like to say is...

STOP USING :twisted: AND :evil: TO TRY AND LOOK INTIMIDATING. SRSLY.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:11 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:One of the biggest things I'd like to say is...

And Stop trying to copy this guy. ^^^

It's really annoying me how people think they are badass cause they do shit like GWO.

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Well...GWO just said it. :/

Brewdomia wrote:

It's really annoying me how people think they are badass cause they do shit like GWO.

The only person who can do shit like GWO and look/be badass is GWO. End of story.
Last edited by Techno-Soviet on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:18 pm

tbqh, i think you should read and follow a few things in national incidents that interest you, but don't post there until you know you won't look like a dumbass.

and forum 7 is a good place to go, relive all your retarded posting tensions there
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Amazonian Beasts
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazonian Beasts » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Techno-Soviet wrote:Well...GWO just said it. :/

Brewdomia wrote:

The only person who can do shit like GWO and look/be badass is GWO. End of story.

Oh, you young people.
http://wearesanctum.wordpress.com/ - Follow New Azura, Storm Gard, and myself amongst others as we talk about random stuff, from sports to comedy.

Hurricanes/Trojans/Wildcats; Jaguars/Spurs/Dodgers/Avalanche/Ravens

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Techno-Soviet wrote:Well...GWO just said it. :/

Brewdomia wrote:

That is so true it isn't even funny. No one can act more badass then GWO.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Vlack Sturm
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vlack Sturm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Uhhhh, Vlack Sturm stop bloody flameing. Yes, I talk to myself.Yes I have friends in my neighborhood. Is that ok, Euroslavia.
Last edited by Vlack Sturm on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Federation of Burzia
Pardes

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Participate in some good-looking RPs, get some experience, and then join one of the major regions. Though I'm sure there is quality RP outside of them, the fact of the matter is that it's much, much easier to meet good RPers if you're a member of one.
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Build up fame by RPing, then move to General, if you like. Or be like me and grind through and start in General straight away. Be polite and thought-out. Don't overload with smilies, and don't just post to try and elicit a response from other players.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Tiurabo
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiurabo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Quote everything above. Then add please. A lot of them.

Also, try and do something other than super fascist or super communist nations. And if you have to do one of these, and decide to have a revolution, for the love of the Gods and the king, don't have the rebels be the other type. People don't have to be fascist to rebel against communists, and vice versa. This one might be just me, but I seem to see it a helluva lot.

By all means, be an incredibly uber-controlling police state with anarchists, or a libertarian government with liberals. Anything but the above, because honestly, it's overdone.

Next, try to find a group to hang with. A region, a faction, an alliance, a super-state, a coalition of nations against furries, it can be anything like this. It really, really helps.

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:10 pm

BE ORIGINAL. Stop following the "flavor of the month' and posting the exact same things as everyone else. Go against the grain and don't follow the trends because that's what will make you stand out.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm

In NSG, try to make as many lulz as you can. (Except for places such as International Incidents). Forum 7 posts don't count, and the churches there are mainly for fun, so there won't be any forced conversion or anything like that, because the chruches aren't taken that seriously. Make your posts long and detailed when RPing, and don't fill it with spam. Don't use too much smilies when posting, and don't picspam.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Slaytesics
Minister

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaytesics » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Do not control the other player's army, and be as helpful as possible, it will pay off later.
My favorite quotes.

Ballotonia wrote:Total BS.
Wanna meet girls? Go play Farmville.
Ballotonia

Timurid Empire wrote:I do not understand people like this. How can you fear any human being or interaction with them? We are all Human, and we all bleed the same. Unless their a Hemophiliac.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:(Image)

Ranbo wrote:Heey! I'm not perv!

You name it, you claim it. You were the one that thought of it in the first place. :p

Slaytesics
Minister

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaytesics » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Automagfreek wrote:BE ORIGINAL. Stop following the "flavor of the month' and posting the exact same things as everyone else. Go against the grain and don't follow the trends because that's what will make you stand out.

Doubled, just to express how important this is.
My favorite quotes.

Ballotonia wrote:Total BS.
Wanna meet girls? Go play Farmville.
Ballotonia

Timurid Empire wrote:I do not understand people like this. How can you fear any human being or interaction with them? We are all Human, and we all bleed the same. Unless their a Hemophiliac.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:(Image)

Ranbo wrote:Heey! I'm not perv!

You name it, you claim it. You were the one that thought of it in the first place. :p

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

1. Read RPs before you even think of posting anything. It helps you get an idea of what is considered a good RP and is what I contribute to starting off on a relatively good basis.

2. Read the goddamn stickies.

3. I know a lot of people have said "Don't be like GWO/AMF/Stok" or whatever, but if that is really what you want your nation to be, go for it. I hate seeing a newbie imitate GWO simply to try and be cool and they usually fail in an epic manner. But if it is genuinely what you want from your nation shoot for it.

4. Have a basic outline of what you want your nation to be centred upon in your head. A proud military nation, a diplomatic nation of tree planting hippies, whatever. Even if it's just a point of view take it and mould your nation around it.

5. This is my own personal experience, and might not work for everyone, but start with your final vision as a distant target. Rethan is, it is my hope, going to be a very kind of nihilistic country (I'll not get into the messy details of my exact vision now). But right now, it's quite far from that. I find it cements my nation more if I start a distance from my target and work towards it, evolving through RPs, as over time it gets more fleshed out in ways I could never have thought of before starting.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Kagetora
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagetora » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:48 am

GRAMMAR GRAMMAR GRAMMAR!

If you can't be bothered to notice mistakes yourself, download a spellchecker. If English isn't a language you speak well, this isn't the site for you. An occasional typo is ok, everyone does it.

Do not start off wars against ideas, don't use smileys in IC posts, grammar, write longer than like 2 sentences unless it's dialogue, don't start off with war/creating nukes, genocide is bad, don't go to polar extremes just because it's cool.

And, don't do a civil war for no reason. If you're going to do one, make it well thought out and seriously consider that it might not turn out how you want it to.

Which brings me to my last point, be prepared to lose.
If you want help with something, simply send me a telegram. I'll do my best to respond intelligently, and if I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.
Caladan Imperium||Montgomery Broadcasting [EII]

Mirnect
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirnect » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:13 am

Don't be afraid to join in threads or sign-up threads. We don't bite.
The Stratocracy of Mirnect
A virgin phoenix from her ashes risen.
The Ashes of War: Summit on the Venturer
Permanently unavaible from Thursday 19th August until Tuesday 24th August.
Activity limited until September 1st-3rd.

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 am

I'd advise that - for me at least - the most important thing is believability (not the same thing as realism, although realism is nice too).

This means - for me at least - making your characters and general population of your nation act like actual people. Before you click the submit post button, ask 'would anybody in the entire world put in this position ever say or do this'.

If the answer is 'probably not' consider clicking the back button.

That's not to say you couldn't have a character (like your leader) who is just completely ridiculous and does/says ludicrous things, but your other characters should react to him as the crackpot he is rather than an infaillable heroic father of the nation. Unless, of course, they have good reasons to think he's the heroic father of the nation.

BrightonBurg
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby BrightonBurg » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:31 am

Be yourself..

Me personally,I am not a big spell and grammer Nazi,just get there and their right,and I am content,also don't do the CAPS thing so much,other than that,welcome to NS..
"The great questions of the day will be decided not by speeches or majority votes ...but by blood and iron." - Prince Otto Von Bismarck.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents