NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Polluted Slavery
Civilian

Founded: Sep 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Polluted Slavery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Another new one. Issue #326. Apologies for not putting the variable markers in.

Knitters In A Knot Over Police Stitch Up

The Issue

After a peaceful public knitting class was dispersed by riot police, the citizenry are up in arms at what they perceive as unnecessary police brutality.

The Debate

"With all due respect, Leader, you weren't there, so you don't know the full story", your police chief states candidly. "These thugs were loitering in Rat Park brandishing weapons! They were up to something - mark my words! Besides, if it wasn't for our brave police officers, who knows what kind of damage they could have caused. We've got to come down hard on thugs like these and ban groups comprising of three or more people. That'll stop any troublemaking, I'm sure of it!"

"Weapons? WEAPONS? They were knitting needles you imbecile!" shouts Ariel Malik, the elderly President of the Polluted Slavery Knitting League, brandishing a pair of pins in the direction of the police chief. "The only thugs in Rat Park that day were the riot police - protectors of public safety my royal rump! They fired rubber bullets at us without any warning. Rubber bullets! And I only out of the hospital after getting my hip replacement. You MUST do something about these trigger-happy hooligans. Clearly if they can't tell the difference between criminals and geriatrics they need retraining!"

"Retraining the entire police force would cost far too much", your financial advisor says quietly, appearing from behind your chair. "That being said, the crazy lady with the woolly hat is right, we do have to do something about this situation. We can't have the police force appear brutal and unruly. What we should do is ban all sorts of dangerous weapons. That way the police force won't have to worry about dangerous thugs with guns, and the public can rest easy knowing the police force won't be able to brutally attack them either. And we can get rid of the riot police too as they clearly won't be needed, which saves us money! Everybody wins!"
Last edited by Polluted Slavery on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Issue #328: Bugged by Lack of Intelligence

A naval frigate from @@NAME@@ was recently ambushed by a rival navy in the international waters of @@REGION@@. Security analysts have admitted that faulty intelligence was to blame and are now insisting that something be done to prevent a situation like this happening again.

The Debate

"The best way to gain accurate intelligence is when it's in transit," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a communications technician from the DSA, while hunched over a computer. "Think of the information the @@NAME@@ Security Agency could get from telephone calls, emails, radio chatter, even internet browsing history! All we would need are satellites, servers, algorithms, and quality mathematicians to intercept them. It might be costly, but you don't want another embarrassing incident, do you?"

"We don't need to spend so much money on technology when we can rely on manpower," says Director @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of the @@NAME@@ Intelligence Agency, while putting on a pair of black shades. "Can a computer gain a leader's trust? Can a telephone stop a terrorist? We need inside men around every foreign diplomat, general and guerrilla this side of @@REGION@@!"

"Speaking of inside men…" says an unnamed secret service agent, stepping out of the shadows, "How do we know they haven't infiltrated our intelligence services? Think about it, how else would they know our plans and convoy routes? Spies and insurgents -- now they are the real problem; a problem I can get rid of if you let me launch a secret investigation with, eh, secret results.

"I know of a cheaper option," says your intern, lifelessly scrolling through whistleblowing site KwikiLeaks. "Why bother spending so much on the intelligence services here, when whistleblowers from others are posting all their information online? You could just set up some 'game rooms' for bored, tech-savvy kids. Make a game out of finding useful electronic intelligence and reward them with pizza or something."
Last edited by Individuality-ness on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Polluted Slavery wrote:Issue #326: Knitters In A Knot Over Police Stitch Up
Tsaraine; ed: Sanctaria

Imperium Magnum wrote:Issue #327: No Rest For The Weary @@ANIMAL@@
Black and Brindle; ed: Sedgistan

Individuality-ness wrote:Issue #328: Bugged by Lack of Intelligence
Mediterreania; ed: Sanctaria
Last edited by Luna Amore on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 am

Individuality-ness wrote:"The best way to gain accurate intelligence is when it's in transit," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a communications technician from the DSA, while hunched over a computer. "Think of the information the @@NAME@@ Security Agency could get from telephone calls, emails, radio chatter, even internet browsing history! All we would need are satellites, servers, algorithms, and quality mathematicians to intercept them. It might be costly, but you don't want another embarrassing incident, do you?"

This isn't the text, btw, that's something that will change from nation-to-nation. If your nation name is @@NATION@@, then this would be @@N@@SA.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm

All added in.

Point of clarification:
Sanctaria wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:"The best way to gain accurate intelligence is when it's in transit," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a communications technician from the DSA, while hunched over a computer. "Think of the information the @@NAME@@ Security Agency could get from telephone calls, emails, radio chatter, even internet browsing history! All we would need are satellites, servers, algorithms, and quality mathematicians to intercept them. It might be costly, but you don't want another embarrassing incident, do you?"

This isn't the text, btw, that's something that will change from nation-to-nation. If your nation name is @@NATION@@, then this would be @@N@@SA.

I've entered this as @@NAMEINITIALS@@SA - is this accurate?
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Andacantra wrote:I've entered this as @@NAMEINITIALS@@SA - is this accurate?

No, but it'll do for a public standard. It won't automatically become the correct macro in issue creation, but it's close enough that we'll recognize the effort.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Andacantra wrote:I've entered this as @@NAMEINITIALS@@SA - is this accurate?

No, but it'll do for a public standard. It won't automatically become the correct macro in issue creation, but it's close enough that we'll recognize the effort.

Awesome. :)
Abbey

The Dictatorship POD
Minister

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dictatorship POD » Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

Why not have "Oil Drilling" as a major industry?
Defensive Condition
Current Def-con level: Def-Con 0
Apply for embassies here
EFEC member.
Allies

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

The dictatorship POD wrote:Why not have "Oil Drilling" as a major industry?

Not the correct place for such a suggestion, and no, we're not going to add any industries. If you want to discuss it further (even after I've told you it's pointless), start a thread in Technical.

The Dictatorship POD
Minister

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dictatorship POD » Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The dictatorship POD wrote:Why not have "Oil Drilling" as a major industry?

Not the correct place for such a suggestion, and no, we're not going to add any industries. If you want to discuss it further (even after I've told you it's pointless), start a thread in Technical.

Okay, sorry about that. :palm:
Defensive Condition
Current Def-con level: Def-Con 0
Apply for embassies here
EFEC member.
Allies

THE UNION OF FREE STATES OF AMERICA
Envoy

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNION OF FREE STATES OF AMERICA » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

In an issue, if an opinion has already been selected and followed for "legislation", can another/different opinion be selected afterwards?
If yes, how.
If no, is there anything that can be done about it.
Last edited by THE UNION OF FREE STATES OF AMERICA on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSGA
RESISTANCE TO THE STATE IS OBEDIENCE TO GOD
-National Motto
-"The state is the greatest fictitious entity through which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else."
-"Government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the problem".
-"There is no such thing as good government."
-"Government is an unnecessary evil."
-"End welfare, period."
-Anti-statism
-Anarcho-Capitalism
-Individualism
-Anarcho-Individualism
-Emersonian Individualism
-Libertarianism
-Voluntaryism
-Panarchism
-Frugalism
-Austrian Economics
-Laissez-Faire Economics
-Catholicism

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Wait for the issue to come up another time and select a different option.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

The Republic of Mattlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Mattlandia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:53 pm

#138 is the best issue of all time ^_^
My country is augmented.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm

The Republic of Mattlandia wrote:#138 is the best issue of all time ^_^

No, #134 is. Obviously.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 am

We have a new issue! Woopwoop!

#329: Military Uniforms Under Scrutiny [Crimsonrayne; ed:Sedgistan] added
Last edited by Andacantra on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abbey

Burgera
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Burgera » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 am

#330 - Supermarkets Gobbling Up All The Customers?

The Issue

The recent boom in the nationwide supermarket Humongo-Mart has brought representatives from local mom and pop stores to your office demanding action be taken.

The Debate

1. "Humongo-Mart is destroying our livelihoods!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, the owner of a small butchery, while waving a bloody cleaver. "These chains are over-saturating our cities with ridiculously low prices. I simply can't compete. You need to put a stop to this. We need more regulations dictating where these supermarkets can be."

2. "You've got to be kidding me," scoffs business columnist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "You want to punish businesses if they become too successful? They started small just like everyone else. If you regulate or – heaven forbid – ban big business, can you imagine the fallout? Without corporations to compete with, these small shops could gouge their prices. Never mind what capping industry growth would do to the economy. If anything we need less government meddling."

3. "This raises an interesting question," begins amateur philosopher @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why should we leave an essential commodity such as food up to the whims of profits and greed? The government needs to step in and take control of the food production in this country. You could ensure that every citizen is provided with a well-balanced, healthy meal instead of this overpriced slop. People shouldn't have their health and basic needs held hostage by greedy corporations!"

Still almost no new issues in the last time. I wonder if there are really that few people working on editing them.
Last edited by Burgera on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guns and burgers!

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 am

Burgera wrote:Still almost no new issues in the last time. I wonder if there are really that few people working on editing them.

I've been waiting for them to put out a new issue of mine that they accepted for the past two years. Perhaps now they are starting to catch up.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 am

Burgera wrote:#330 - Supermarkets Gobbling Up All The Customers?

The Issue

The recent boom in the nationwide supermarket Humongo-Mart has brought representatives from local mom and pop stores to your office demanding action be taken.

The Debate

1. "Humongo-Mart is destroying our livelihoods!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, the owner of a small butchery, while waving a bloody cleaver. "These chains are over-saturating our cities with ridiculously low prices. I simply can't compete. You need to put a stop to this. We need more regulations dictating where these supermarkets can be."

2. "You've got to be kidding me," scoffs business columnist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "You want to punish businesses if they become too successful? They started small just like everyone else. If you regulate or – heaven forbid – ban big business, can you imagine the fallout? Without corporations to compete with, these small shops could gouge their prices. Never mind what capping industry growth would do to the economy. If anything we need less government meddling."

3. "This raises an interesting question," begins amateur philosopher @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why should we leave an essential commodity such as food up to the whims of profits and greed? The government needs to step in and take control of the food production in this country. You could ensure that every citizen is provided with a well-balanced, healthy meal instead of this overpriced slop. People shouldn't have their health and basic needs held hostage by greedy corporations!"

Still almost no new issues in the last time. I wonder if there are really that few people working on editing them.

Awesome, thank you! It shall be added in a moment. Would appear that none of my nations got that one yesterday. And yeah, it's definitely a slow process but hey, 2 new issues anyway! :D

EDIT: Oh - who's the author/editor? (bottom right hand side)
Last edited by Andacantra on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abbey

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am

Andacantra wrote:
Burgera wrote:#330 - Supermarkets Gobbling Up All The Customers?

The Issue

The Debate

Awesome, thank you! It shall be added in a moment. Would appear that none of my nations got that one yesterday. And yeah, it's definitely a slow process but hey, 2 new issues anyway! :D

[Fayd; ed: Luna Amore]

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:34 am

Frenequesta wrote:
Burgera wrote:Still almost no new issues in the last time. I wonder if there are really that few people working on editing them.

I've been waiting for them to put out a new issue of mine that they accepted for the past two years. Perhaps now they are starting to catch up.

We had a massive flood of issues in 2012 - around 55 of them were added that year. However, the issues editing process is extremely laborious, and while the Issues Editors do a lot of the work, it requires game mods to sign off on the stats before they're added. Fris and myself both suffered "burn-out" from the process (combined with a reduced amount of free time), which meant that issues editing stalled over the last year. We're getting going on them again - hence the couple added recently, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see a fairly regular flow of issues from now onwards.

However, issues editing is never a quick process, so there will always be a backlog of player-submitted issues awaiting review.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Andacantra wrote:Awesome, thank you! It shall be added in a moment. Would appear that none of my nations got that one yesterday. And yeah, it's definitely a slow process but hey, 2 new issues anyway! :D

[Fayd; ed: Luna Amore]

Thank yous, and added :)

Also, by the by, is the gap at #134 not being filled?
Abbey

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Andacantra wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:[Fayd; ed: Luna Amore]

Thank yous, and added :)

Also, by the by, is the gap at #134 not being filled?

It probably will be next time an issue has to be manually input rather than via the Issue Editor.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm

#331: Swept Away

Unusually heavy rainfall this week burst riverbanks and caused flash flooding in @@NATION@@'s low-lying areas. This has sparked much debate on how the state should deal with flood damage.

1. "We need help to recover from this horrible flood!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a resident of the flooded zone, trying to stop his hands from shaking. "I've lost everything: my house, cars, yacht. There was no time to recover anything before it was swept away. The government should compensate us for our losses. It wasn't our idea to can the dam project, after all, and if I get no help I'll be without a roof to live under.

2. "At the end of the day, they chose to live in a flood plain. Why should the government pay anything at all to these half-brained idiots?" rants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prominent campaigner for lower government spending. "If they want money when there's a flood, they should get insurance and hang the expense. Make them bear the costs of their own lunacy. You don't see ME whining about the whippersnappers that broke one of my windows last fall. Why? Because I paid for insurance!"

3. "These floods should never have happened in the first place," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a noted architect, with an excited glint in her eye. "They've caused widespread destruction and damage; the repairs will cost millions of checks, and this doesn't count the millions more people are asking in compensation. What I propose is that the government invest heavily in massive flood defenses. Dams! Levees! Floodways! Dikes! Dams! Gates! Wall off the seas and lakes! Put flood gates on every river! No, dam them all up! Then build more dams! We'll have no more floods in @@NATION@@!"

4. "You know what? Why don't we use the cheap, easy solution to stop this problem?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, floating past on a makeshift raft. "Just stop people from building on flood plains. If you're not in a floodable area, you can't get flooded. Who's going to complain? A bunch of real-estate developers? Please! Even the environmentalists will be happy, because the land will become some kind of nature reserve."

Issue by: Mostly armless
Editor: Dustistan
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Benjamin Mark
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2012

Postby Benjamin Mark » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 am

I believe this is a new issue, correct me if I'm wrong
Title: No Sacrifice, No Sacrifice At All #333 (Emunia ed. Sanctaria)

The Issue
After a recent exposé of controversial religious rituals practised by some immigrants from distant, less well-developed countries, @@NATION@@ premier conservative think tank, the Coffee Cabal, has called on the government to regulate these religions and their worship.
The Debate
1. "These acts are an attack on @@NATION@@'s moral fiber!" stresses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the investigative reporter responsible for the exposé. "There are just some things that freedom of religion shouldn't cover, and that includes ritual sacrifice, the harming of children or animals, or hell, even really bad choral singing. The government must enact restrictions on religious practices that offend public decency."
2. "Dancing blindfolded around cucumbers while carrying wailing children on our heads is a custom that dates back millennia in our culture", explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, a High Priest of one of the under-fire religions. "The freedom to practice our religion played a large part in our relocation to @@NATION@@. The government must preserve our right to our culture and religion, even if the majority of people find them disturbing. Haven't you heard of tyranny by the majority? A religious exemption should be made for all the laws of @@NATION@@ to ensure our freedom."
3. "This is a dangerous discussion," writes @@RANDOMNAME@@ in her popular online journal, 'Religious Watchblog'. "If we allow a religious exemption to any law, offences like religiously motivated terrorism would be permitted. It's insane. I could live with allowing religious schools to decide whether or not to teach evolution, but allowing people of faith to exist outside the law is ludicrous. The government should create a ministry that considers whether or not religious practices are compatible with the nation's ethos."
4. "Once again, only I have the guts to call a problem by its real name," says right-wing radio host @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Everyone else is too afraid to point out the real problem here, and it's very simple; these immigrants and their brutish religions are antithetical to the basic, founding principles of @@NATION@@. They don't belong here, pure and simple. From now on, people who don't belong to a major religion should not be allowed in this country."
5. "The real problem isn't immigration, it's religion," announces prominent far-left politician @RANDOMNAME@@ "Yes, the practices outlined in those articles are horrifying, but they're no more horrifying than the religious practices the people of Benjamin Mark have been undertaking since time immemorial. It's time we recognized that, as a forward-thinking people, we can no longer afford to allow the practice of any religion."
Last edited by Benjamin Mark on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Campbell Nation
Envoy

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Campbell Nation » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm

I think this is new. New to me at least. It's got a big number and it doesn't seem to be on the list.
#332 Summit Security Spending Stirs Strife
The Issue

After The Campbell Nation agreed to host the annual Organization of Really Dominant Economic Regimes (ORDER) summit, opposition parties have slammed the government for planning to spend over a billion Imperial Credits on security alone. They are demanding an explanation.

The Debate

Your press secretary speaks on your behalf at a press conference. "In times of terror and uncertainty, it's imperative we take all necessary precautions. After all, The Campbell Nation is playing host to the world and has an obligation to provide top-notch security. A small tax hike to keep us and our allies safe is absolutely worth it. After all, these summits always bring out dangerous anarchists. If we don't arm the police for the worst, a world leader could get shot!"

"A billion Imperial Credits on security? Outrageous!" exclaims seasoned and radical protester Johann Woolf, while recovering from the effects of pepper spray. "No previous host spent nearly that much. This is a summit about strengthening the economy. How does blowing a billion Imperial Credits on this improve the economy? It doesn't! That's money better spent on us, the people! Our tax money should be going to teaching our children better math skills, not buying another taser!

Issue by: The Free Secular Federation of Nation of Quebec
Editor: Lenyo

This issue was clearly written for me. I wish I could pick both options. No doubt I will eventually.
Yes, my name is Campbell. Type 1 Diabetic restorative-class Cyborg.
Pro: Healthcare, education reform, social-democracy, Nordic model, "Creative Capitalism", Corporate-Social Responsibility, egalitarianism, vaccination
Against: Fascism, Stalinism, nativism, (US) Libertarianism, Laissez-Faire
On the Fence: Hate-Speech laws, Capital Punishment, Abortion, euthanasia, Involuntary quarantine
Socialist/Technocratic Parliamentary Federation. Very militaristic and scientific with a culture of persecution complex. Usually defensive, but won't hesitate to intervene for a worthy cause. Represented in the WA by North Campbell Nation

Long Live the Campbell Nation! Long live Neosituationism!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?