NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High (old OOC, search for new one)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Korvos
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

This open to new students?Stupid Question

Name: Alexander Cornel
Nationality: American
Height: 6'
Weight: 176 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Hazel
Costume (if any): None
Abilities: Powerful Telepathy, Burst Telekinesis (Basically, he's like the Mind Melter OCC from Rifts)
Alignment: Hero
Brief Bio: In the works.
Last edited by Korvos on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Korvos wrote:This open to new students?

I would assume so. Especially since we kind of need more student players right now.

Mighty Asgard wrote:Apps for new teacher, and also Jenkins.

Name: Michael Eriksson
Nationality: Swedish
Height: 198 cm (6'4")
Weight: 90 kg (198 lbs)
Hair: blond
Eyes: blue
Costume (if any): during his superhero days he wore the uniform of a carolean soldier. Nowadays he usually wears a suit.
Abilities: Superhuman strength and durability, superior reflexes.
Subject: Mainly the school psychologist, but also teacher of Power Ethics and squad leader for missions.
Brief Bio: Michael grew up in Stockholm, and discovered his superhuman powers during puberty. He decided to use them to fight crime, like he'd seen on TV, and so bought himself a costume and set out to right wrongs in his neighborhood. At first he mostly limited himself to taking down vandals and other petty criminals, but as he grew older his ambitions grew bolder. Even though his powers were relatively weak he began taking on armed robbers in his late teens, and only moved up from there. After going through the usual year of mandatory military service he enrolled in a psychology course at the university, managing to pull through with decent grades despite his second career. As he grew older he put on the costume less and less, knowing fully that it was just a matter of time before he either died or was permanently crippled and that he could help people better in a different way.

During the war Sweden was mostly ignored, the small size of their armed forces and reputation as a neutral nation leading to few vampires being dispatched to attack them, but Michael put himself in harm's way and nearly died during the fighting. For a time he was unable to walk, his spine shattered from a stray bullet, but his reputation helped him. He came into contact with a group who offered to help him if he put his skills to work on helping them in turn, and soon he was fully recovered and headed for a new job at the Academy for the Empowered.

Name: Richard Jenkins
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 400 lbs
Hair: black, receding
Eyes: brown
Costume (if any): usually wears either the uniform of the Academy guards, or a black suit if he's feeling formal.
Abilities: He is not superhuman. Excellent marksman, martial arts expert, and former special operations soldier.
Position: Chief of Security
Brief Bio: Jenkins was born and raised in Portland, having a rather uneventful childhood. At the age of eighteen he joined the army, quickly proving himself a model soldier. By his twentieth birthday he was accepted for officer training. By the age of twenty-five he was accepted for training as a Green Beret, passing with flying colors. After an injury during combat three years later he was awarded the Purple Heart and given an honorable discharge. No official records exist about him after this point.

Cool:)
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:Mainly the school psychologist, but also teacher of Power Ethics and squad leader for missions.

My descriptive detail sense is tingling. What are his psychological perspectives (most psychologists use one or two) and specialty?

Just in case, let me summarize them here:

Behavioral psychology "behaviorism" is concerned with the study of behavior because behavior is observable and measurable and, therefore, objective and scientific. Behaviorism also emphasizes that behavior is determined primarily by factors in the environment. Major contributions include classical conditioning and operant conditioning. Notable contributors are John Watson (also the founder) and B.F. Skinner. This is considered one of the harder sciences (and an actual science compared to some of the others) because if its strict adherence to the scientific method, often conflicting and actually forming in response to psychoanalysis.

Psychoanalysis maintains that human mental life is like an iceberg. The smallest, visible part of the iceberg represents the concious mental experience of the individual. Underwater, hiddin from view, floats a vast store of unconcious impulses, wishes, and desires. Founder of the school Sigmund Freud insisted thatindividuals do not concsiously control their thoughts, feelings, and behavior; these are instead determined by unconcious forces. A frequent criticism of this field is that science traditionally converges toward answers, but psychoanalysts drift farther apart as time goes on as Carl Jung , Alfred Adler, and Karen Horney show. Freud did not help matters by thinking that his work was science because nobody could disprove it largely in contradiction to science's ideas that he was somehow exempt from the scientific method. The easiest idea to take seriously and test is the theory of the collective unconcious proposed by Carl Gustave Jung. For obvious reasons, many other psychologists try to get a stricter definition of psychology made so that psychoanalysts can play with Freudian symbolic objects.

Humanistic psychology was founded in response to both of the previous ideas by Carl Rogers. According to psychoanalysis and behaviorist lines of thought, Carl Rogers should have been a train-wreck due to his horribly abusive and traumatic childhood, instead becoming a respected and mentally stable psychologist. He pointed out that Freud made observations of humanity from his patients, arguing that this was not useful for insight into regular people for reason of them being mental patients. Humanism focuses on the uniqueness of human beings and their capacity for choice, growth, and psychological health. They emphasize a positive view of human nature, and argue that people are innately good and drift away from this, arguing that people are capable of making concious, rational choices that lead to personal growth and psychological health. A major contributaion was client-centered therapy, which focuses on letting patients directs conversations on their own problems rather than having a psychiatrist probe them in addition to popularizing group therapy. In spite of such people as Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow largely operating without scientific basis, data is starting to support them in a move that shows the universe is a horrible person to have them successfully come in with a conclusion and then have other people find data and somehow have the majority of data support that.

Cognitive psychology was formed as a coutnerpoint to behaviorism's refusal to focus on the mind. This school came about in the 1970s as new and advanced ways to study the brain became available. Since using the scientific method to work-on their ideas would most likely require crimes against humanity, they have to gather their data largely from observation and people who suffer brain injuries to gather their data (the human brain is a horrible thing for not making itself easy to study without committing felonies). One of their major contributions is information-processing theory, which is a large analogy that thinks that the mind is like a computer, moving from there to explain the mind. Programmers, please put down your ninja discs; I am not necissarily supporting it, as it is ultimately just an analogy that is helpful when you need to explain to the layman what the hippocampus (the "thing under the bedroom" in Latin).

Evolutionary psychology is very simple. It is the observation of human behavior and our evolution to study behavior, especially universals (traits that exist in everyone). This focuses largely on how evolution has created not just vestigal organs, but vestigal behaviors and behaviors that are universal among humans. To provide an example, the gag-reflex is thought to be a remnant of our days under the sea with such friendly things as the nautilus. In addition to vestigal behaviors, it also studies how we aquired behaviors and other areas that combine cognitive psychology and evolutionary biology. Why a psychologist outside of an institute or college would need this, I do not know beyond cool party trivia that will somehow get you a supermodel (insert prefered sex here __________ and gender here __________) friend someday at one of those nerd-fantasy parties I hear happens all the time where you are not looking.

Biological (physiological) psychology is focused on the biological aspects of human behavior. For an example, they would study homeostasis (I apologize if you read that as "homeopathy") and human behavior's connections. They would study the effects of hormones on behavior. To give a less vague answer, they have explained why it is that, when you wake up in the middle of the night and throw-up, turning the light on quickly before doing so, you do not develop an aversion to the light, instead what you most recently ate. They would also study heredity's effects on human behavior and the effects psychological disorders and diseases effect behavior. If there is a biology behind it, they will study it.

Sociocultural psychology views that social and cultural influences have an important on on human behavior and stress the importance of understanding those influences when it comes to behavior. To give an example of what they would do, they would take a look at how differences in Eastern and Western philosophy on child-rearing has influenced development (it says nothing good about both the 18th century Prussian and Confucian models for the record, so both sides are POed that their models from before psychology was even founded may not hold up to the scientific method; who would have guessed that a multi-century old model that makes people assume that the only way to go is down and a millenia-old model that assumes you can adequately gauge how successful a person will be at age thirteen would not be well-made). Another example would be the study of how frequent war has effected Vietnamese people's behavior. This science focuses on a perspective of systems. This largely follows the idea that multiple factors and their combined, interactive unfluences are greater than the sum of the indivudal factors that make-up the system.

To give a brief summary, I gathered some psychologists, zombified a few, put them in a room, and asked what they would assume to be the most-likely reason why a student failed an exam.

"The student has not been reinforced for getting good grades in the past," said behaviorist B.F. Skinner, arguing that the student needs more positive reinforcement for improvement and success.

"An unresolved early childhood emotional trauma is distracting the student form his academic work," said psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, arguing that he needs to see him and rename him 'Little Hanz'.

"Studying for exams does not fit into this student's definition of a meaningful life," said humanist Abraham Maslow, arguing that you need to convince him that studying would be worthwhile to his life.

"The student does not use effective learning strategies," said cognitive psychologist Richard Shiffrin, suggesting that the student should start using the SQ3R method (1.surveying, 2.questioning, 3.reading, 4.reciting, and 5.reviewing, maintaining that order) for studying and take advantage of long-term memories favorability to elaborative rehearsal.

"The student believes that studying is unimportant because potential mates are more interested in physical appearence and capacity for social dominance than they are grades, resulting in him body-building at the expense of studying," said evolutionary psychologists George Wald, suggesting that they should create an environment where studying would be necessary to interact with said people after he has done sufficiently well on an exam.

"The student does not want to be percieved as a 'nerd', so he purposefully avoids success to avoid the negative connotations," said sociocultural psychologists Gerald Patterson, suggesting that the school should actively discourage and minimize the connotations of 'success' as being specifically the realm of geeks, much to the complaints of Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.

"No, the student, uh, I have nothing. Would please fill out this introspection form so we can find your basic elements of conciousness while testing," said structuralist Wilhelm Wundt wearing an outdated pioneering outfit, standing out amid the suits and labcoats of the rest.

"You fool, how dare you think so rigidly classify the structure of mental processes," said functionalist William James in a another pioneering outfit outfit. Percieving the begin of a fist-fight or a grotesque oversimplification of their viewpoints, the remaining psychologists left while the two pioneering, discredited psychologists argued over whether humans are rigid or fluid in their experiences.

Now that what seemed to be the punchline to a terrible joke is over, it is time for the specialty portion.

Clinical psychologists specialize in the diagnosis and teratment of mental and behavioral disorders, such as anxiety, phobias, and schizophrenia. Some also conduct research in these areas.

Please do not confuse the following two.

School spychologists are clinical psychologists who specialize in diagnosis and treatment of learning and behavioral problems that interfere with learning.

Educational psychologists specialize in the study of teaching and learing (of neurotypical people).

Counseling psychologists help people who have adjustment problems that are generally less severe than the work of a clinical psychologist.

Physiological psychologists study the relationship between physiological processes and behavior.

Experimental psychologists conduct experiments in most areas of psychologists, whether it is learning, sensation, emotion, or whatever else you can think-of that is capable of being studied.

Developmental psychologists study how people grow, develop, and change throughout the life span.

Social psychologists investigate how the individual feels, thinks, and behaves ina social setting---in the presence of others.

Industrial/organizational psychologists study the relationship between people and their work environments.

In other words, is he a clinical psychologist, educational psychologist, or school psychologist and what one or two schools of psychology does he use in it.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Corrian wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:Not all people with high self-esteem are jerks who enjoy beating people down :unsure:

Yeah, I know. I know there's a little of both sides. I know some people who have low self-esteem and it makes them feel better about themselves to act that way. I didn't mean to make it sound one-sided. I just know people with low self-esteem are good targets, because they are easily offended or believe what they are saying about them.

I have horrifically low self esteem. Mainly due to my situation at the moment (unemployed, unable to find a job, can't go back to study, etc). NS, video games and really good friends are my current emotional crutches.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Korvos wrote:Powerful Telepathy

This is as opposed to normal telepathy, correct?
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 am

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Korvos wrote:Powerful Telepathy

The thing is, he can't really do many of the traditional telepathic tricks (mind reading, suggestion) because he can't control how much of his psychic strength he uses. Basically, if he tries to read someone's mind, he'll get a few chunks of info before the target falls unconscious.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:26 am

Korvos wrote:

The thing is, he can't really do many of the traditional telepathic tricks (mind reading, suggestion) because he can't control how much of his psychic strength he uses. Basically, if he tries to read someone's mind, he'll get a few chunks of info before the target falls unconscious.

Should I call it? Anyone else want to? No?

That's OP.

At least, that's OP if that's where his abilities currently stand. If that's a level he ends up working towards, it probably wouldn't be considered OP (depends on the time frame). But for a student? Totally OP.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 am

Korvos wrote:

If Bramwell fails to find the datum he wanted, he fails to find the datum he wanted.

If Alexander fails to find the datum he wanted, the other person is knocked-out.

I think there may be something wrong with that. I think I may have misused "datum".
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 am

Korvos wrote:The thing is, he can't really do many of the traditional telepathic tricks (mind reading, suggestion) because he can't control how much of his psychic strength he uses. Basically, if he tries to read someone's mind, he'll get a few chunks of info before the target falls unconscious.

If Bramwell fails to find the datum he wanted, he fails to find the datum he wanted.

If Alexander fails to find the datum he wanted, the other person is knocked-out.

I think there may be something wrong with that. I think I may have misused "datum".

He doesn't do it on purpose, and he certainly isn't aware if he gets what he wants or not. He cannot control the amount of power he uses. And because of this, he never uses his telepathy for delicate tasks like that.

After a few minutes of contemplating this, just fuck it. I'll make a new character.
Last edited by Korvos on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 am

Name: Gregor (Greg) Michaels
Weight: 175 lbs
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Green
Costume (if any): N/A
Abilities: Plasma Generation and Control. However, he can only generate plasma in a roughly 2.5 foot area around him, and can only retain control within a 6 foot area, and control becomes shakier the closer it comes to the edge of the control area.
Brief Bio: Coming Soon.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 am

Korvos wrote:Name: Gregor (Greg) Michaels
Abilities: Plasma Generation and Control. However, he can only generate plasma in a roughly 2.5 foot area around him, and can only retain control within a 6 foot area, and control becomes shakier the closer it comes to the edge of the control area.

Need to know more about exactly what his powers entail. What sort of properties does this plasma have, because the vast majority of people have a very different idea of what plasma is, versus what it actually is. Can he throw this plasma outside of a six-foot radius? Roughly how much plasma is he able to generate?

Best get these questions out of the way now, because they will be asked. Also, of course, we need a bio.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:28 am

Camicon wrote:
Korvos wrote:Name: Gregor (Greg) Michaels

Need to know more about exactly what his powers entail. What sort of properties does this plasma have, because the vast majority of people have a very different idea of what plasma is, versus what it actually is. Can he throw this plasma outside of a six-foot radius? Roughly how much plasma is he able to generate?

Best get these questions out of the way now, because they will be asked. Also, of course, we need a bio.

Basically, he generates plasma as it exists in real life (gas ionized to the point to separate positive and negative charges), by creating pockets of extreme heat and electrical charge near his body. This takes little more than a second, and should only momentarily interfere with electronic devices inside the 2-3 foot area around him where he is capable of creating plasma. He can't throw plasma outside of the ~6 door area as it will quickly revert back to normal gas, albeit still quite hot. The plasma created also works like it does IRL, meaning it can be contained with magnetic fields (although his natural talents can override weak magnetic fields, but powerful magnets will override his control) is highly electrically conductive, etc.
And I'll work on my Bio when I get home.

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

My descriptive detail sense is tingling. What are his psychological perspectives (most psychologists use one or two) and specialty?

Just in case, let me summarize them here:

Behavioral psychology "behaviorism" is concerned with the study of behavior because behavior is observable and measurable and, therefore, objective and scientific. Behaviorism also emphasizes that behavior is determined primarily by factors in the environment. Major contributions include classical conditioning and operant conditioning. Notable contributors are John Watson (also the founder) and B.F. Skinner. This is considered one of the harder sciences (and an actual science compared to some of the others) because if its strict adherence to the scientific method, often conflicting and actually forming in response to psychoanalysis.

Psychoanalysis maintains that human mental life is like an iceberg. The smallest, visible part of the iceberg represents the concious mental experience of the individual. Underwater, hiddin from view, floats a vast store of unconcious impulses, wishes, and desires. Founder of the school Sigmund Freud insisted thatindividuals do not concsiously control their thoughts, feelings, and behavior; these are instead determined by unconcious forces. A frequent criticism of this field is that science traditionally converges toward answers, but psychoanalysts drift farther apart as time goes on as Carl Jung , Alfred Adler, and Karen Horney show. Freud did not help matters by thinking that his work was science because nobody could disprove it largely in contradiction to science's ideas that he was somehow exempt from the scientific method. The easiest idea to take seriously and test is the theory of the collective unconcious proposed by Carl Gustave Jung. For obvious reasons, many other psychologists try to get a stricter definition of psychology made so that psychoanalysts can play with Freudian symbolic objects.

Humanistic psychology was founded in response to both of the previous ideas by Carl Rogers. According to psychoanalysis and behaviorist lines of thought, Carl Rogers should have been a train-wreck due to his horribly abusive and traumatic childhood, instead becoming a respected and mentally stable psychologist. He pointed out that Freud made observations of humanity from his patients, arguing that this was not useful for insight into regular people for reason of them being mental patients. Humanism focuses on the uniqueness of human beings and their capacity for choice, growth, and psychological health. They emphasize a positive view of human nature, and argue that people are innately good and drift away from this, arguing that people are capable of making concious, rational choices that lead to personal growth and psychological health. A major contributaion was client-centered therapy, which focuses on letting patients directs conversations on their own problems rather than having a psychiatrist probe them in addition to popularizing group therapy. In spite of such people as Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow largely operating without scientific basis, data is starting to support them in a move that shows the universe is a horrible person to have them successfully come in with a conclusion and then have other people find data and somehow have the majority of data support that.

Cognitive psychology was formed as a coutnerpoint to behaviorism's refusal to focus on the mind. This school came about in the 1970s as new and advanced ways to study the brain became available. Since using the scientific method to work-on their ideas would most likely require crimes against humanity, they have to gather their data largely from observation and people who suffer brain injuries to gather their data (the human brain is a horrible thing for not making itself easy to study without committing felonies). One of their major contributions is information-processing theory, which is a large analogy that thinks that the mind is like a computer, moving from there to explain the mind. Programmers, please put down your ninja discs; I am not necissarily supporting it, as it is ultimately just an analogy that is helpful when you need to explain to the layman what the hippocampus (the "thing under the bedroom" in Latin).

Evolutionary psychology is very simple. It is the observation of human behavior and our evolution to study behavior, especially universals (traits that exist in everyone). This focuses largely on how evolution has created not just vestigal organs, but vestigal behaviors and behaviors that are universal among humans. To provide an example, the gag-reflex is thought to be a remnant of our days under the sea with such friendly things as the nautilus. In addition to vestigal behaviors, it also studies how we aquired behaviors and other areas that combine cognitive psychology and evolutionary biology. Why a psychologist outside of an institute or college would need this, I do not know beyond cool party trivia that will somehow get you a supermodel (insert prefered sex here __________ and gender here __________) friend someday at one of those nerd-fantasy parties I hear happens all the time where you are not looking.

Biological (physiological) psychology is focused on the biological aspects of human behavior. For an example, they would study homeopathy and human behavior's connections. They would study the effects of hormones on behavior. To give a less vague answer, they have explained why it is that, when you wake up in the middle of the night and throw-up, turning the light on quickly before doing so, you do not develop an aversion to the light, instead what you most recently ate. They would also study heredity's effects on human behavior and the effects psychological disorders and diseases effect behavior. If there is a biology behind it, they will study it.

Sociocultural psychology views that social and cultural influences have an important on on human behavior and stress the importance of understanding those influences when it comes to behavior. To give an example of what they would do, they would take a look at how differences in Eastern and Western philosophy on child-rearing has influenced development (it says nothing good about both the 18th century Prussian and Confucian models for the record, so both sides are POed that their models from before psychology was even founded may not hold up to the scientific method; who would have guessed that a multi-century old model that makes people assume that the only way to go is down and a millenia-old model that assumes you can adequately gauge how successful a person will be at age thirteen would not be well-made). Another example would be the study of how frequent war has effected Vietnamese people's behavior. This science focuses on a perspective of systems. This largely follows the idea that multiple factors and their combined, interactive unfluences are greater than the sum of the indivudal factors that make-up the system.

To give a brief summary, I gathered some psychologists, zombified a few, put them in a room, and asked what they would assume to be the most-likely reason why a student failed an exam.

"The student has not been reinforced for getting good grades in the past," said behaviorist B.F. Skinner, arguing that the student needs more positive reinforcement for improvement and success.

"An unresolved early childhood emotional trauma is distracting the student form his academic work," said psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, arguing that he needs to see him and rename him 'Little Hanz'.

"Studying for exams does not fit into this student's definition of a meaningful life," said humanist Abraham Maslow, arguing that you need to convince him that studying would be worthwhile to his life.

"The student does not use effective learning strategies," said cognitive psychologist Richard Shiffrin, suggesting that the student should start using the SQ3R method (1.surveying, 2.questioning, 3.reading, 4.reciting, and 5.reviewing, maintaining that order) for studying and take advantage of long-term memories favorability to elaborative rehearsal.

"The student believes that studying is unimportant because potential mates are more interested in physical appearence and capacity for social dominance than they are grades, resulting in him body-building at the expense of studying," said evolutionary psychologists George Wald, suggesting that they should create an environment where studying would be necessary to interact with said people after he has done sufficiently well on an exam.

"The student does not want to be percieved as a 'nerd', so he purposefully avoids success to avoid the negative connotations," said sociocultural psychologists Gerald Patterson, suggesting that the school should actively discourage and minimize the connotations of 'success' as being specifically the realm of geeks, much to the complaints of Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.

"No, the student, uh, I have nothing. Would please fill out this introspection form so we can find your basic elements of conciousness while testing," said structuralist Wilhelm Wundt wearing an outdated pioneering outfit, standing out amid the suits and labcoats of the rest.

"You fool, how dare you think so rigidly classify the structure of mental processes," said functionalist William James in a another pioneering outfit outfit. Percieving the begin of a fist-fight or a grotesque oversimplification of their viewpoints, the remaining psychologists left while the two pioneering, discredited psychologists argued over whether humans are rigid or fluid in their experiences.

Now that what seemed to be the punchline to a terrible joke is over, it is time for the specialty portion.

Clinical psychologists specialize in the diagnosis and teratment of mental and behavioral disorders, such as anxiety, phobias, and schizophrenia. Some also conduct research in these areas.

Please do not confuse the following two.

School spychologists are clinical psychologists who specialize in diagnosis and treatment of learning and behavioral problems that interfere with learning.

Educational psychologists specialize in the study of teaching and learing (of neurotypical people).

Counseling psychologists help people who have adjustment problems that are generally less severe than the work of a clinical psychologist.

Physiological psychologists study the relationship between physiological processes and behavior.

Experimental psychologists conduct experiments in most areas of psychologists, whether it is learning, sensation, emotion, or whatever else you can think-of that is capable of being studied.

Developmental psychologists study how people grow, develop, and change throughout the life span.

Social psychologists investigate how the individual feels, thinks, and behaves ina social setting---in the presence of others.

Industrial/organizational psychologists study the relationship between people and their work environments.

In other words, is he a clinical psychologist, educational psychologist, or school psychologist and what one or two schools of psychology does he use in it.

He's a fictional psychologist, meaning that I don't know enough psychology to actually apply any real psychological techniques when writing him.

Korvos wrote:
Basically, he generates plasma as it exists in real life (gas ionized to the point to separate positive and negative charges), by creating pockets of extreme heat and electrical charge near his body. This takes little more than a second, and should only momentarily interfere with electronic devices inside the 2-3 foot area around him where he is capable of creating plasma. He can't throw plasma outside of the ~6 door area as it will quickly revert back to normal gas, albeit still quite hot. The plasma created also works like it does IRL, meaning it can be contained with magnetic fields (although his natural talents can override weak magnetic fields, but powerful magnets will override his control) is highly electrically conductive, etc.
And I'll work on my Bio when I get home.

I don't see any problems with that power. I'll wait to approve him until you've finished writing the bio though.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:52 pm

What the... But I wrote... the summaries to... help that matter... The simplifications... the catagorization between fields... the insults at Freud... the short descriptions of fields... the time... I thought it would be easy to understand.

... Nevermind.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:What the... But I wrote... the summaries to... help that matter... The simplifications... the catagorization between fields... the insults at Freud... the short descriptions of fields... the time... I thought it would be easy to understand.

... Nevermind.

AP, no offence, but that was almost 1,700 words. It was long, rambling, completely muddled, and packed so full of jargon that anyone without a basic understanding of the subject would have been lost by the end of the first paragraph.
Last edited by Camicon on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Camicon wrote:
Altruistic Paladins wrote:What the... But I wrote... the summaries to... help that matter... The simplifications... the catagorization between fields... the insults at Freud... the short descriptions of fields... the time... I thought it would be easy to understand.

... Nevermind.

AP, no offence, but that was almost 1,700 words. It was long, rambling, completely muddled, and packed so full of jargon that anyone without a basic understanding of the subject would have been lost by the end of the first paragraph.

If I am going to make a point or help, I generally like to give it my best effort. "My best effort" just has a problem in that it involves verbosity, especially when the problem of, "I feel as though I need to get something out quickly" comes into effect. Even I could tell that I had made something obtuse. I even put a warning sign on the spoiler. Both of my previous posts were of poor quality, especially because I thought that overdoing the space between lines would be a nice in-joke, one that completely fails in its purpose because nobody here would get that specific in-joke. The line "short description of fields" was a little signifier that I was less than happy with the final result. If I was actually clever, I probably would have mentioned the mispellings of the type that I would detest if I came across them ("hiddin", what the hell was I thinking doing anything without spell-check). On the positive side, I seemed to maintain syntax and grammar.

I hate "The Catcher in the Rye", but I typed that post in stream of conciousness, the exact thing I detested about that book. I did not know that "He Who Fights Monsters" also refers to critique. The personal inflection is something I particularly detest about the post, as it is a horrible way to convey such things as the oddity that is setting out with a conclusion first and then having other scientists confirm that.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 am

Bah, I'll post in the morning. Been hanging out with my brother for the last few days. Tomorrow I will be back to the normal routine here: Not really doing a whole lot.
My Last.FM and RYM

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 am

Camicon wrote:AP, no offence, but that was almost 1,700 words. It was long, rambling, completely muddled, and packed so full of jargon that anyone without a basic understanding of the subject would have been lost by the end of the first paragraph.

If I am going to make a point or help, I generally like to give it my best effort. "My best effort" just has a problem in that it involves verbosity, especially when the problem of, "I feel as though I need to get something out quickly" comes into effect. Even I could tell that I had made something obtuse. I even put a warning sign on the spoiler. Both of my previous posts were of poor quality, especially because I thought that overdoing the space between lines would be a nice in-joke, one that completely fails in its purpose because nobody here would get that specific in-joke. The line "short description of fields" was a little signifier that I was less than happy with the final result. If I was actually clever, I probably would have mentioned the mispellings of the type that I would detest if I came across them ("hiddin", what the hell was I thinking doing anything without spell-check"). On the positive side, I seemed to maintain syntax and grammar.

I hate "The Catcher in the Rye", but I typed that post in stream of conciousness, the exact thing I detested about that book. I did not know that "He Who Fights Monsters" also refers to critique. The personal inflection is something I particularly detest about the post, as it is a horrible way to convey such things as the oddity that is setting out with a conclusion first and then having other scientists confirm that.
So then...maybe you could parse it back for people that want to respond to it next time? Maybe?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Korvos wrote:Name: Gregory (Greg) Michaels
Weight: 182 lbs

Bio: Greg was a fairly normal child of a fairly normal active duty military family, and if it wasn't for his aptitude for football, he would be written off as average. However, one day during practice, Greg felt somewhat strange, like someone had stuffed a bag full of cotton balls in his head. Fuzzy. He couldn't really put his finger on it, and he was playing fairly well, so he ignored it. A few minutes later, an orange-red ball of what felt like pure heat suddenly materialized in front of him, and he couldn't get out of it's way before he ran right into it. His jersey was incinerated and his some of his upper body pads fused and blackened, but he only felt as if he stepped into a warm shower. His coach immediately called practice off and brought a medic onto the field. The strange ball had already dissipated by the time the medic and the coach were examining Greg. To both of their surprise, Greg was completely fine. No burns, blisters, nothing to show that he ran through something that burnt his jersey to cinders and melted his some of his protective gear to a dense clump.
Over the next month after this incident, which the school chalked up to "ball lightning", Greg's ability to control his power grew steadily. He managed to keep his new ability secret from his parents and from the rest of the school, dreading what would happen if someone found out. However, one day, Greg's father came home surprisingly early from work, with two well dressed men following him inside. They said that Greg's new ability meant that his, and other's, safety would be in jeopardy if he remained here. He was given a week to pack and prepare to go to Super Hero High.

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Zomg I posted. THE HORROR.

Also, yes, Abigale got her knifes back. A Wizard Did It.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Orinon wrote:Zomg I posted. THE HORROR.

You're a Wizard Harry.
My Last.FM and RYM

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 am

Corrian wrote:

You're a Wizard Harry.

You're the Harreocentric center of the unniverse.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am

Korvos wrote:
Korvos wrote:Name: Gregory (Greg) Michaels
Weight: 182 lbs

Bio: Greg was a fairly normal child of a fairly normal active duty military family, and if it wasn't for his aptitude for football, he would be written off as average. However, one day during practice, Greg felt somewhat strange, like someone had stuffed a bag full of cotton balls in his head. Fuzzy. He couldn't really put his finger on it, and he was playing fairly well, so he ignored it. A few minutes later, an orange-red ball of what felt like pure heat suddenly materialized in front of him, and he couldn't get out of it's way before he ran right into it. His jersey was incinerated and his some of his upper body pads fused and blackened, but he only felt as if he stepped into a warm shower. His coach immediately called practice off and brought a medic onto the field. The strange ball had already dissipated by the time the medic and the coach were examining Greg. To both of their surprise, Greg was completely fine. No burns, blisters, nothing to show that he ran through something that burnt his jersey to cinders and melted his some of his protective gear to a dense clump.
Over the next month after this incident, which the school chalked up to "ball lightning", Greg's ability to control his power grew steadily. He managed to keep his new ability secret from his parents and from the rest of the school, dreading what would happen if someone found out. However, one day, Greg's father came home surprisingly early from work, with two well dressed men following him inside. They said that Greg's new ability meant that his, and other's, safety would be in jeopardy if he remained here. He was given a week to pack and prepare to go to Super Hero High.

Accepted

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

Teachers are allowed to carry certain weapons, knives and small arms for instance.

Also, Kara would be installed into the open network, the system used for schedules and reports and all that other regular school stuff. She wouldn't be able to access the security systems to track people as those are a part of the vital closed network that controls security and life support and all that stuff, physically separate from the open network and without any wireless connections. Anderson is a rather paranoid person and he wouldn't hand over control over anything truly important to someone he's known for a few days.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 am

Mighty Asgard wrote:Anderson is a rather paranoid person and he wouldn't hand over control over anything truly important to someone he's known for a few days.

I think he's rightfully paranoid, because there's a bunch of superheroes that could gang up together, villains especially, and try and take down the facility he runs....so I think his paranoia is justified.
My Last.FM and RYM

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse