NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal GA #600

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

[PASSED] Repeal GA #600

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 02, 2023 3:35 pm

(Ooc: I've been sitting on this draft for a while, here it is.)

Convinced that a resolution being written as "humorous" does not justify serious flaws in the text, as said flaws will still bind member nations regardless of the intent,

Asserting that for many poorer or less-developed member nations, mandating the domestic distribution of pillows forms a rather blatant waste of government funds, reducing the budget available for more vital projects such as healthcare, welfare, or humanitarian aid,

Shocked that the resolution also requires pillows and "functioning sleep medications and sleeping devices" to be "all widely accessible and affordable in their member state", potentially requiring member nations to make even luxurious or expensive pillows and sleeping devices widely affordable alongside cheaper ones,

Emphasising that this burden on member nations is compounded by the target's lack of any form of assistance whatsoever to member nations in complying with its potentially expensive madates, the World Assembly

Strikes out the "Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol".
Last edited by The Ice States on Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Millenhaal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Millenhaal » Tue May 02, 2023 3:36 pm

OOC: Hands off our pillers!
WV105: 24th
WV106: 17th
MILLENHAAL: Chief Ambassador to the WA: Felix Kopperdoun, Vice-Ambassador: Eupraxie Sankt-Felip
Statsminister of Balder
I USE THEY/THEM PRONOUNS, PLEASE RESPECT THAT
My favorite color is purple. What's yours?
OH OH OH MY GOD, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME? WALKING DOWN MONTANA, OH OH OH!

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Tue May 02, 2023 3:45 pm

"Support. Ideally, sleep materiél would be glossed over as part of a minimum standard of living, not emphasised and mishandled in the way that GA#600 does."
- Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

El Lazaro
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Tue May 02, 2023 3:53 pm

Support. Not only is this resolution big government tyranny, but the definition of pillow is so vague as to describe anything an individual could rest their head in while sleeping. It’s a clear cut case of corruption and corporate lobbying designed to funnel money into the hands of pillow sector bigwigs at the expense of hammock manufacturers.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue May 02, 2023 5:16 pm

The Ice States wrote:Shocked that the resolution also requires pillows and "functioning sleep medications and sleeping devices" to be "all widely accessible and affordable in their member state", potentially requiring member nations to make even unnecessarily luxurious or expensive pillows widely affordable alongside cheaper ones

Opposed. Everybody deserves the right to a decent pillow.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading Possession by A.S. Byatt

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 02, 2023 5:31 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
The Ice States wrote:Shocked that the resolution also requires pillows and "functioning sleep medications and sleeping devices" to be "all widely accessible and affordable in their member state", potentially requiring member nations to make even unnecessarily luxurious or expensive pillows widely affordable alongside cheaper ones

Opposed. Everybody deserves the right to a decent pillow.

Access to "widely accessible and affordable" silk pillows is not a human right.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue May 02, 2023 6:41 pm

The Ice States wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Opposed. Everybody deserves the right to a decent pillow.

Access to "widely accessible and affordable" silk pillows is not a human right.

Then nor should be access to affordable haphazardly clumped-together piles of feather :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading Possession by A.S. Byatt

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 02, 2023 6:50 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
The Ice States wrote:Access to "widely accessible and affordable" silk pillows is not a human right.

Then nor should be access to affordable haphazardly clumped-together piles of feather :P

Exactly. So you should support this repeal.
Last edited by The Ice States on Tue May 02, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Fri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Bump.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Fri May 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Ambassador Tappe: “Our office supports any well written repeal of GA #600, and this certainly qualifies. Best of luck ambassador.”
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri May 05, 2023 1:53 pm

As the first clause makes unsubstantiated references to the motivations of General Assembly member states in casting their votes, we will not even consider supporting this draft proposal unless it is removed. We still believe -- admittedly, sometimes in the face of contradictory evidence -- that most ambassadors take their responsibilities seriously.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Fri May 05, 2023 3:38 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:As the first clause makes unsubstantiated references to the motivations of General Assembly member states in casting their votes, we will not even consider supporting this draft proposal unless it is removed. We still believe -- admittedly, sometimes in the face of contradictory evidence -- that most ambassadors take their responsibilities seriously.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador

"We have amended the clause to address only the intent of the writing, rather than of voters -- despite our belief that a subtantial portion of the votes in favour of the proposal absolutely arose out of finding it humourous."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon May 08, 2023 1:59 pm

Bumping for any new comments.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue May 16, 2023 7:25 pm

Any more comments?
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed May 17, 2023 1:40 pm

Neville: 'Whilst we have no problems with the text of this repeal, we must ask that the paper on which the text is written is made comfortable enough for one to rest their head upon.'
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Wed May 17, 2023 1:47 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Neville: 'Whilst we have no problems with the text of this repeal, we must ask that the paper on which the text is written is made comfortable enough for one to rest their head upon.'

"A fine idea, ambassador. Pillowcases will be produced en masse shortly containing the text of this repeal; although we make no guarantee that new pillowcases will be produced promptly as new drafts are made. You will have to bring your own luxurious silk-filled pillows while you still have them."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri May 19, 2023 8:12 pm

Support.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 23, 2023 4:05 pm

Submitting this next, once the queue is more clear.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Tue May 23, 2023 4:22 pm

OOC: I much prefer Comfed's version over this one, but I'll support just about any repeal of #600. I think treating #600 as a wholly serious resolution misses the mark though. Coming up with some funny or unique angle would be very much appreciated in this instance.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 23, 2023 4:32 pm

Heidgaudr wrote:OOC: I much prefer Comfed's version over this one, but I'll support just about any repeal of #600. I think treating #600 as a wholly serious resolution misses the mark though. Coming up with some funny or unique angle would be very much appreciated in this instance.

I think the joke has largely run its course enough that it need not be explicitly referenced in the repeal; although the very first clause does address the fact that the target is meant to be humorous. People are free to RP or mention it in this thread (as some already have).

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sat May 27, 2023 9:56 pm

Bump.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 pm

Bumping for final comments before I submit over the next few days. I know I have been proposing a string of controversial legislation lately, but I believe repeal of this resolution to be necessary.

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:07 pm

The Ice States wrote:Bumping for final comments before I submit over the next few days. I know I have been proposing a string of controversial legislation lately, but I believe repeal of this resolution to be necessary.

Necessary how? All of the concerns raised in the repeal are mostly trivial.

The shocked clause is surely an exaggeration. Does a pillow count as a 'sleep medication' or 'sleeping device'?
Sonnel is the place.

7x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:22 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:
The Ice States wrote:Bumping for final comments before I submit over the next few days. I know I have been proposing a string of controversial legislation lately, but I believe repeal of this resolution to be necessary.

Necessary how? All of the concerns raised in the repeal are mostly trivial.

The shocked clause is surely an exaggeration. Does a pillow count as a 'sleep medication' or 'sleeping device'?

Pillows certainly do count as "pillows". Section 2a of the target makes this clear.

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:52 pm

The Ice States wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:Necessary how? All of the concerns raised in the repeal are mostly trivial.

Pillows certainly do count as "pillows". Section 2a of the target makes this clear.

I don't see the point of including the part on medications then. Pillows alone would be fine.

In any case, I still believe it's an exaggeration. Making cancer healthcare affordable does not mean premiere 5-star suites and hospices must also be affordable. I don't believe a reasonable nation would interpret it as requiring fluffy silk 500 quid luxury pillows to be affordable as well.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

7x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives