NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Proscription on WA Military Force

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Proscription on WA Military Force

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:10 am

"To address concerns until the rest of Rights and Duties can be replaced:"

Proscription on WA Military Force
Category: Global Disarmament || Strength: Mild || Proposed by: Excidium Planetis

Description:

The Assembly of Worlds,

Believing that a WA military force is unnecessary to enforce WA legislation and that such legislation may be effectively carried out indirectly under the jurisdiction of WA member states,

Maintaining that the prohibition of this Assembly from establishing such a force is a moral necessity, so as to prevent the World Assembly from directly intervening in the affairs of member states,

Affirming this Assembly's commitment from its member nations to protect diplomats, humanitarian operations, international trade and other peaceful endeavors from the unlawful interference of rogue states and piracy operations,

Taking a stance against the use of military force, which undermines the sovereignty of member nations and would subject them to tyranny by this Assembly,

Hereby enacts as follows:

1. The World Assembly shall not form any military force, nor form any armed force under any other term such as peacekeeping forces or security forces, nor shall the World Assembly engage in armed conflict with any state.

2. The World Assembly may make exception to Section 1 for the formation and operation of police forces operating exclusively on World Assembly property, as allowed by WA law.

3. WA member states shall:
  • Refrain from engaging in armed conflict on WA property.
  • Prioritize peaceful solutions to international conflicts over the use of military force.

Category: Global Disarmament || Strength: Mild || Proposed by: Excidium Planetis

Description:

1. The World Assembly shall not form any military force, nor form any armed force under any other term such as peacekeeping forces or security forces, nor shall the World Assembly engage in armed conflict with any state.

2. The World Assembly may make exception to Section 1 for the formation of police forces operating exclusively on World Assembly property, as allowed by WA law.

3. WA member states shall:
  • Refrain from engaging in armed conflict on WA property.
  • Prioritize peaceful solutions to international conflicts over the use of military force.

Description:

2. The World Assembly may make exception to Section 1 for the formation of police forces operating exclusively on World Assembly property, as allowed by WA law.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

The Fantasy tech Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fantasy tech Caliphate » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:13 am

I think they should also be allowed to establish detective forces for war crimes ant other violations of WA law.
News
-Marina Zovic announced as head of gendarmerie (inshallah)
- Vizier Khan establishes Space Force from sections of Air Force, centralises Gendarmerie.
- War with Norway over.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:13 am

OOC: Isn’t this a blocker only resolution?

Ambassador Tappe: “Strongly opposed. There may come a time in the future when the WA decides a peacekeeping force of some kind would be a good idea.”
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am

The Fantasy tech Caliphate wrote:I think they should also be allowed to establish detective forces for war crimes ant other violations of WA law.

"I believe that's unnecessary, as we already have the Compliance Commission to investigate violations of WA law." Adelia replies.

Astrobolt wrote:OOC: Isn’t this a blocker only resolution?

Ambassador Tappe: “Strongly opposed. There may come a time in the future when the WA decides a peacekeeping force of some kind would be a good idea.”

"So then, w-when that time comes, the World Assembly can repeal this Resolution. As of now, the WA has not decided that such a force is necessary."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Astrobolt wrote:Ambassador Tappe: “Strongly opposed. There may come a time in the future when the WA decides a peacekeeping force of some kind would be a good idea.”

"In such a time in the future the World Assembly would be wrong."

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:58 pm

"It is important to state that the World Assembly may not hire mercenary firms for the purposes of circumventing article 1. Furthermore, it is important to impose a non-blocker mandate, such as requiring member states to allow the WA to police its own facilities." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Watermelon
Envoy

Founded: May 26, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Watermelon » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"To address concerns until the rest of Rights and Duties can be replaced:"

Description:

1. The World Assembly shall not form any military force, not form any armed force under any other term such as peacekeeping forces or security forces, nor shall the World Assembly engage in armed conflict with any state.

Badge hunter.
The Watermelon Republic"Free and Brave"Established 7/30/1947
Once colonized and abused, the nation of three islands now seeks revenge.
Founded: May 26, 1812|Residence: YisraelFactbook

WIP
BREAKING: New skyscraper built in Aguarodea opens, second tallest in country|Watermelon to change "drastically"

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:47 am

Watermelon wrote:Badge hunter.

I've hunted more badges in my life than you ever will.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:42 am

Comfed wrote:
Astrobolt wrote:Ambassador Tappe: “Strongly opposed. There may come a time in the future when the WA decides a peacekeeping force of some kind would be a good idea.”

"In such a time in the future the World Assembly would be wrong."

“Au contraire, in such a time in the future the World Assembly would have realised that international peace needs to be spread by and means necessary, including violence.”

Lewitt pauses. There was perhaps better wording available. “Regardless, I do not necessarily oppose this proposal. As has been stated, this prevents the GA from enacting military measures lightly, but this can be repealed if necessary.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:44 am

Watermelon wrote:Badge hunter.

Ooc: EP already has seven badges.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Yxnadalsoxl
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Yxnadalsoxl » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:50 am

OOC: Sorry for barging, but I can't help myself. I wasn't able to find a list of GA resolutions sorted by number of characters. What is the smallest GA Res ever?
/ˈɪksne͡ɪdˌɔːlso͡ʊksə͡l/
/nəglui ŏglŏnɑfθə k̆θulu ɹliɘ wɑgnɑʔdo θdɑʔxɛn/

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:57 am

Yxnadalsoxl wrote:OOC: Sorry for barging, but I can't help myself. I wasn't able to find a list of GA resolutions sorted by number of characters. What is the smallest GA Res ever?

(OOC: This is GA #454: “The World Assembly hereby bars member nations from invoking a person's debts as reason to deprive that person of the right to vote”. That is the entire resolution. There’s a reason that it was instantly repealed. This proposal is not so short that it cannot do its job properly; it seems fine in that regard.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Yxnadalsoxl
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Yxnadalsoxl » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:58 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Yxnadalsoxl wrote:OOC: Sorry for barging, but I can't help myself. I wasn't able to find a list of GA resolutions sorted by number of characters. What is the smallest GA Res ever?

(OOC: This is GA #454: “The World Assembly hereby bars member nations from invoking a person's debts as reason to deprive that person of the right to vote”. That is the entire resolution. There’s a reason that it was instantly repealed. This proposal is not so short that it cannot do its job properly; it seems fine in that regard.)

Amazing. And the still active shortest one?
/ˈɪksne͡ɪdˌɔːlso͡ʊksə͡l/
/nəglui ŏglŏnɑfθə k̆θulu ɹliɘ wɑgnɑʔdo θdɑʔxɛn/

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 pm

Remove article 2. Defence of property is not by definition a military or police function in all circumstances and it would not be colourable to argue that only a WA military can do this for the WA's personal shit.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:41 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Remove article 2. Defence of property is not by definition a military or police function in all circumstances and it would not be colourable to argue that only a WA military can do this for the WA's personal shit.

Would something like this be better?
The World Assembly Hereby:
1. Grants itself the right to handle securing and policing its facilities and property, and to hire contractors to fulfill the same.

2. Prohibits itself from conducting any military or peacekeeping actions.

3. Prohibits itself from forming or hiring an armed force with the intent of violating article 2.

3. Forbids military or peacekeeping action under the World Assembly banner.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:54 pm

"We remain opposed to anything blocking the creation of peacekeeping forces."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:18 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Remove article 2. Defence of property is not by definition a military or police function in all circumstances and it would not be colourable to argue that only a WA military can do this for the WA's personal shit.

Police forces operating on WA territory could certainly be argued to be "armed forces", I do believe the WA should at least be allowed to create some form of armed security forces for their own property. Hence the exception.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:18 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:

Police forces operating on WA territory could certainly be argued to be "armed forces", I do believe the WA should at least be allowed to create some form of armed security forces for their own property. Hence the exception.

I concur.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Jedinsto wrote:"We remain opposed to anything blocking the creation of peacekeeping forces."

"You see, the World Assembly might create an army to invade nations run by unbelievers in the one true deity. Imagine how badly that would violate the so-called right to religious freedom!"

"Oh, in case it wasn't obvious, we will be voting against this on principle. We support a restriction, but not an outright ban, on World Assembly military force."

~Spencer Hemming,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Empire of The Ice States
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:40 pm

OOC:
To avoid some potential rules violations, I have added what I believe to be a sufficiently mild set of requirements on member nations.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:07 am

OOC: bump

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:56 pm

"Support."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"Support."

"We concur."
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:51 pm

ARI: Unequivocal support. Although, armed conflict is always quite amusing in the Strangers' Bar, once the weapons nullifiers kick in.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Why the hell not. The Palentine would support this.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly