NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] A Resolution to Abolish Debtor’s Prisons

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Archipelago Territory
Ambassador

Founded: May 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Any ideas how to improve this?

Postby The Archipelago Territory » Sun May 19, 2019 5:51 am

WHEREAS, those who are accused of failing to pay debts may, in some Nationstates, be sent to a debtor’s prison; and

WHEREAS, in Nationstates with poor economies, those who do not earn a large amount of money are unable to pay debts; and

WHEREAS, those who are unable to pay their debts and are sent to debtor’s prison are unable work, therefore unable to pay back the debts that sent them there in the first place; and

NOTING that if taxes imposed by Nationstates are not paid, then the global economy will fail, not paying taxes will still be punishable by law; and

WHEREAS, Debtors prisons are a large problem, and now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, debtors prisons are hereby abolished; and be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, that the failure to pay taxes is not considered a “debt,” and therefore is still a punishable offense.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!
I am a Progressive Libertarian Capitalist
YANG GANG 2020

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 am

OOC: Alright, you've got a draft on an open topic. Now you need to pick a category and strength/area of effect into which your idea fits, and you'll need a title as well. Have a glance through the GA links in my signature below to help you make those decisions, and put your proposed title in the thread title. Then be prepared to keep gradually improving and working on this draft over a period of days at least, preferably weeks, to make it as strong and useful as possible. People will make suggestions, in character snark, and other comments and if you take it all in stride you'll have a good chance to pass this after a while. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bitely
Envoy

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bitely » Sun May 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Yeah, ditch it and start all over.
Resisting the World Assembly elite since July, 2015 |
Loyal Singular Party member since 2019

Ambassador Thomas Branson III son of our late Ambassador Thomas Branson II.
Reigning Prince Gregory Artaxerxes Bitely

The Archipelago Territory
Ambassador

Founded: May 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Draft] A Resolution to Abolish Debtor’s Prisons

Postby The Archipelago Territory » Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm

| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!
I am a Progressive Libertarian Capitalist
YANG GANG 2020

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 pm

The archipelago territory wrote:https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=the_archipelago_territory_1558293668

(OOC: Why did you submit this? You were informed in the other thread of the need to draft for several weeks, if not months, before submission. Although the proposal isn’t the worst that’s ever been seen, it does need quite a lot of work before it has a good chance of passing and staying on the books. I encourage you to withdraw your proposal and draft it. Also, there’s no need for a separate thread, one will do.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Bitely wrote:Yeah, ditch it and start all over.

(OOC: This is not the avenue I suggest taking. Although almost all, if not all, of the legislative text will need to be reworked, there needs to be a starting point for people to critique, and the topic itself isn’t unworkable, so there is some good law here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Kenmoria wrote:You were informed in the other thread of the need to draft for several weeks,

Merged. One thread is all you get for all discussion of any given proposal by any given author. Stop creating new topics for every variant, please. Just make relevant edits to the opening post, including title.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly