NATION

PASSWORD

[WITHDRAWN] Resource Extraction from Uninhabited Bodies Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

[WITHDRAWN] Resource Extraction from Uninhabited Bodies Act

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:43 pm

Resource Extraction from Uninhabited Bodies Act
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Significant

NOTING the abundance of natural resources found in uninhabited bodies across the multiverse.

OBSERVING the lack of damage caused by extracting from said uninhabited bodies as compared to habitable and inhabited bodies.

RECOGNIZING that extracting resources from uninhabited bodies shall have no environmental consequences, due to the lack of a biosphere on said bodies.

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY HEREBY,

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabited bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life or unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process.

PROTECTS the rights of member nations and private entities within member nations to freely extract resources from unclaimed or claimed but unenforced uninhabited bodies unless prohibited by a treaty.

STRONGLY ENCOURAGES member nations and private entities within member nations to extract resources from uninhabited bodies over inhabited bodies.

ALLOWS member nations to reasonably claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources unless prohibited by a treaty or extant General Assembly legislation.

Resource Extraction from Uninhabited Bodies Act
Category: Advancement of Industry
Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation

NOTING the abundance of natural resources found in uninhabited bodies across the multiverse.

OBSERVING the lack of damage caused by extracting from said uninhabited bodies as compared to habitable and inhabited bodies.

RECOGNIZING that extracting resources from uninhabited bodies shall have no environmental consequences, due to the lack of a biosphere on said bodies.

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabited bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life or unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process.

PROTECTS the rights of member nations and private entities within member nations to freely extract resources from unclaimed or claimed but unenforced uninhabited bodies unless prohibited by a treaty.

STRONGLY ENCOURAGES member nations and private entities within member nations to extract resources from uninhabited bodies over inhabited bodies.

ALLOWS member nations to reasonably claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources unless prohibited by a treaty or extant General Assembly legislation.

Resource Extraction from Uninhabitable Bodies Act

NOTING the abundance of natural resources found in uninhabitable bodies across the multiverse.

OBSERVING the lack of damage caused by extracting on said uninhabitable bodies as compared to habitable and inhabited bodies.

RECOGNIZING that extracting resources from uninhabitable bodies shall have no environmental consequences, due to the lack of a biosphere on said bodies.

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabitable bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life or unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process.

NOTING the abundance of natural resources found in uninhabitable bodies across the multiverse.

OBSERVING the lack of damage caused by extracting on said uninhabitable bodies as compared to habitable and inhabited bodies.

RECOGNIZING that extracting resources from uninhabitable bodies shall have no environmental consequences, due to the lack of a biosphere on said bodies.

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabitable bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life or unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process.

ALLOWS member nations to claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources unless prohibited by a treaty.

PROTECTS the rights of member nations and private entities within member nations to freely extract resources from unclaimed uninhabited bodies unless prohibited by a treaty.

ALLOWS member nations to claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources unless prohibited by a treaty.

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabitable bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life.

PROTECTS the rights of member nations and private entities within member nations to freely extract resources from uninhabited bodies

STRONGLY ENCOURAGES member nations and private entities within member nations to extract resources from uninhabited bodies over inhabited bodies

ALLOWS member nations to claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources
Last edited by Aureumterra on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:52 pm

OOC: Should perhaps be "unclaimed uninhabited bodies" that you're allowed to freely strip-mine for resources, to avoid conflicts between nations that have control over one or more solar systems? And also something about "unless prohibited by a treaty" or something, in case there's a pre-existing RP version of the Outer Space Treaty or similar.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm

It doesn't appear that this creates a rivalrous resource claim over such uninhabitable (probably uninhabited is a better word) bodies. Is that intentional?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 pm

"We suggest the addition of something like 'unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process' to the definition of 'uninhabitable' - just because you can't go suitless on Mars today doesn't mean you have the right to leave toxic waste dumps lying around everywhere for when your great-great-grandchildren want to walk barefoot along the southern shore of Elysium Isla. But, like, Ganymede is fair game."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Should perhaps be "unclaimed uninhabited bodies" that you're allowed to freely strip-mine for resources, to avoid conflicts between nations that have control over one or more solar systems? And also something about "unless prohibited by a treaty" or something, in case there's a pre-existing RP version of the Outer Space Treaty or similar.

OOC: Yes, definitely, I’ll edit the first part, the latter is not something the WA is part of, if it’s a treaty between member nations, so they can decide which law carries more weight

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It doesn't appear that this creates a rivalrous resource claim over such uninhabitable (probably uninhabited is a better word) bodies. Is that intentional?

“Pardon me ambassador, I couldn’t quite understand your question. Are you asking about the outcome of conflicting resource claims?”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Aureumterra wrote:the latter is not something the WA is part of, if it’s a treaty between member nations, so they can decide which law carries more weight

OOC: They can't decide that, because WA law overrides all national law. But I'm talking about RL-esque situation, which in WA multiverse would likely include non-WA nations.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 pm

OOC: Somehow, the title made me think of extracting resources from dead people.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 pm

“How do the ‘protects’ and ‘allows’ clauses work together? The latter clause appears to just duplicate part of the former, with no additional content, just listing a different method that may be employed.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am

Raw resource extraction is always a rivalrous practice. This doesn't create a specific claim for a specific beneficiary, but rather, seemingly permits the exploitation of such resources wherever they are located. Is that intentional?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:the latter is not something the WA is part of, if it’s a treaty between member nations, so they can decide which law carries more weight

OOC: They can't decide that, because WA law overrides all national law. But I'm talking about RL-esque situation, which in WA multiverse would likely include non-WA nations.

OOC: True, adding that to draft two

Kenmoria wrote:“How do the ‘protects’ and ‘allows’ clauses work together? The latter clause appears to just duplicate part of the former, with no additional content, just listing a different method that may be employed.”

"By ensuring in print that WA members do indeed have the right to claim uninhabitable bodies under their sovereign territory, and to not leave the former clause open to interpretation”

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"We suggest the addition of something like 'unsusceptible to any likely terraforming process' to the definition of 'uninhabitable' - just because you can't go suitless on Mars today doesn't mean you have the right to leave toxic waste dumps lying around everywhere for when your great-great-grandchildren want to walk barefoot along the southern shore of Elysium Isla. But, like, Ganymede is fair game."

“It’s a good suggestion ambassador, I’ll add that to my second draft”

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Raw resource extraction is always a rivalrous practice. This doesn't create a specific claim for a specific beneficiary, but rather, seemingly permits the exploitation of such resources wherever they are located. Is that intentional?

“Yes ambassador, that is the interpretation I intended with the clause”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 pm

OOC: Made 2nd draft
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Rarstotzka
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rarstotzka » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:10 pm

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, uninhabitable bodies as any planets, asteroids, comets, planetesimals, or moons with the lack of a biosphere and not permanently inhabited by any life.

PROTECTS the rights of member nations and private entities within member nations to freely extract resources from uninhabited bodies

STRONGLY ENCOURAGES member nations and private entities within member nations to extract resources from uninhabited bodies over inhabited bodies

ALLOWS member nations to claim uninhabited bodies under their sovereign territory in order to extract resources

This treaty doesn't protect against damage caused to other environments due to the resource extraction process. E.G. A comet being mined enough to significantly alter it's orbital trajectory causing it to fall into an inhabited biosphere or crash into an inhabited/uninhabited satellite. Potentially allowing for the weaponisation of comets and other smaller celestial bodies under the pretences of mining.

Also this could imply directly above an inhabited body, perhaps instead/in lieu/in place of or in preference to, would be better wording?
Last edited by Rarstotzka on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/?nation=rarstotzka

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Rarstotzka wrote:

This treaty doesn't protect against damage caused to other environments due to the resource extraction process. E.G. A comet being mined enough to significantly alter it's orbital trajectory causing it to fall into an inhabited biosphere or crash into an inhabited/uninhabited satellite. Potentially allowing for the weaponisation of comets and other smaller celestial bodies under the pretences of mining.

“This is not a treaty ambassador, this is a GA proposal. As for your concern, there is no way to prevent the weaponization of a celestial body in this proposal, that, we trust, is for member states to decide. This proposal simply protects the right to extract resources from uninhabited bodies, and encourages doing so over inhabited bodies. If you are so concerned about weaponization of celestial bodies, you may want to draft your own proposal regarding that”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Rarstotzka
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rarstotzka » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
“This is not a treaty ambassador, this is a GA proposal. As for your concern, there is no way to prevent the weaponization of a celestial body in this proposal, that, we trust, is for member states to decide. This proposal simply protects the right to extract resources from uninhabited bodies, and encourages doing so over inhabited bodies. If you are so concerned about weaponization of celestial bodies, you may want to draft your own proposal regarding that”

So if a private entity were to engage in mining processes above an inhabited planet under the pretences of this treaty (knowingly) causing it (a smaller celestial body) to enter the biosphere in a potentially extinction level event that would be fine by the proposed treaty?
Last edited by Rarstotzka on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Rarstotzka wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:

So if a private entity were to engage in mining processes above an inhabited planet under the pretences of this treaty (knowingly) causing it to enter the biosphere in a potentially extinction level event that would be fine by the proposed treaty?

“Again ambassador, it is not the job of this proposal to prevent warfare with celestial bodies, but to protect the rights of member states and private entities within this Assembly to mine on uninhabited bodies. I restate, if you are as concerned about this, you may want to draft your own proposal. Adding a clause preventing this will make the proposal go completely off the rails” ambassador Wyse said wiping his brow.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Rarstotzka
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rarstotzka » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Aureumterra wrote:“Again ambassador, it is not the job of this proposal to prevent warfare with celestial bodies, but to protect the rights of member states and private entities within this Assembly to mine on uninhabited bodies. I restate, if you are as concerned about this, you may want to draft your own proposal. Adding a clause preventing this will make the proposal go completely off the rails” ambassador Wyse said wiping his brow.

I am simply saying that negligent behaviour from NGO's and States should be legislated against, no? Disregarding weaponisation.
Last edited by Rarstotzka on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Rarstotzka wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:“Again ambassador, it is not the job of this proposal to prevent warfare with celestial bodies, but to protect the rights of member states and private entities within this Assembly to mine on uninhabited bodies. I restate, if you are as concerned about this, you may want to draft your own proposal. Adding a clause preventing this will make the proposal go completely off the rails” ambassador Wyse said wiping his brow.

I am simply saying that negligent behaviour from NGO's and States should be legislated against, no? Disregarding weaponisation.

"I trust nations to have laws within themselves to avoid negligent behavior, ambassador. These should be handled on a case by case basis, therefore, generalization in international law will create many more problems."
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Rarstotzka
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rarstotzka » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Rarstotzka wrote:

"I trust nations to have laws within themselves to avoid negligent behavior, ambassador. These should be handled on a case by case basis, therefore, generalization in international law will create many more problems."

"Apologies ambassador Wyse, we were unaware you were suffering from such severe economic and judicial myopia. Perhaps a state-provided optometrists appointment is required?"

OOC: A provision stating that if resource extraction in the uninhabited environment would pose significant threat to life in another biosphere is (at least in my opinion) fairly reasonable. Other then that though I like the sound of your proposal! :) P.S. Sorry for RP beefing, I love it and sometimes forget that others don't hahaha.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:48 pm

OOC: Mining a body such as a comet or asteroid cannot appreciably alter its orbital trajectory. Orbital pathing is determined by the masses of the relevant objects; and for any pair of objects with characteristics such that one is a clear and obvious primary, the mass of the smaller object is basically negligible in determining its path. I don't believe the concern about cometary/asteroid mining somehow threatening a planetary impact is necessary to consider here unless the author has room to spare and nothing better to do with it. Certainly not essential.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Rarstotzka wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:"I trust nations to have laws within themselves to avoid negligent behavior, ambassador. These should be handled on a case by case basis, therefore, generalization in international law will create many more problems."

"Apologies ambassador Wyse, we were unaware you were suffering from such severe economic and judicial myopia. Perhaps a state-provided optometrists appointment is required?"

OOC: A provision stating that if resource extraction in the uninhabited environment would pose significant threat to life in another biosphere is (at least in my opinion) fairly reasonable. Other then that though I like the sound of your proposal! :) P.S. Sorry for RP beefing, I love it and sometimes forget that others don't hahaha.

“Again, like what the ambassador from Sierra Lyricalia said, it is not necessary to consider this possibility in this proposal, which should ideally be on-point”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Mining a body such as a comet or asteroid cannot appreciably alter its orbital trajectory. Orbital pathing is determined by the masses of the relevant objects; and for any pair of objects with characteristics such that one is a clear and obvious primary, the mass of the smaller object is basically negligible in determining its path. I don't believe the concern about cometary/asteroid mining somehow threatening a planetary impact is necessary to consider here unless the author has room to spare and nothing better to do with it. Certainly not essential.

It can be an issue if the mining causes outgassing, evaporation of trapped materials. The escaping gas can act as a propellant, altering the comet or asteroid's trajectory. This is something we saw in our flyby comet Oumuamua
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 pm

“There is one concern I have,” says Ambassador Olsh. “If there are people living on a planet orbited by a moon large enough to be visible from its surface, then it is theoretically possible that intensive mining or other resource extraction could alter its appearance. This could cause distress to the inhabitants, especially if they are not being benefited by the mining and therefore only see that a nation or company is destroying their natural view with no compensation to them. This could cause...problems, internationally.”
The Ambassador of the Confederacy of Allied Sapients is Lirn Jenht Olsh, who is definitely an alien of some sort.

A Tier 8, Type 8.5-ish civilization by this ranking. Has routine contact with a Tier 10, Type 7 civilization and may or may not be piggybacking on some of their tech.

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 am

Allied Sapients wrote:“There is one concern I have,” says Ambassador Olsh. “If there are people living on a planet orbited by a moon large enough to be visible from its surface, then it is theoretically possible that intensive mining or other resource extraction could alter its appearance. This could cause distress to the inhabitants, especially if they are not being benefited by the mining and therefore only see that a nation or company is destroying their natural view with no compensation to them. This could cause...problems, internationally.”

“That is a valid concern, Ambassador. However, I do not feel this needs to be addressed in this proposal, such an incident should be handled on a case by case basis, said people should try to negotiate with the mining entities if they are as distressed about the situation. Unfortunately, the scenarios are so varied, it would be inconvenient to add a clause that generalizes every such scenario. As I said, the distressed people should ideally negotiate with mining entities and find a compromise or solution to the problem without hostility.”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:50 am

Aureumterra wrote:“That is a valid concern, Ambassador. However, I do not feel this needs to be addressed in this proposal, such an incident should be handled on a case by case basis, said people should try to negotiate with the mining entities if they are as distressed about the situation. Unfortunately, the scenarios are so varied, it would be inconvenient to add a clause that generalizes every such scenario. As I said, the distressed people should ideally negotiate with mining entities and find a compromise or solution to the problem without hostility.”

“I suggest adding a clause excluding celestial bodies with features visible to the naked eye, with a possible exception allowing the mining of the far side of one that is tidally locked. There will be no negotiation to be had between a small, impoverished nation and an international mining company- the company will do whatever it wishes and the nation will not be able to afford to do a single thing about it.”
The Ambassador of the Confederacy of Allied Sapients is Lirn Jenht Olsh, who is definitely an alien of some sort.

A Tier 8, Type 8.5-ish civilization by this ranking. Has routine contact with a Tier 10, Type 7 civilization and may or may not be piggybacking on some of their tech.

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 am

Allied Sapients wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:“That is a valid concern, Ambassador. However, I do not feel this needs to be addressed in this proposal, such an incident should be handled on a case by case basis, said people should try to negotiate with the mining entities if they are as distressed about the situation. Unfortunately, the scenarios are so varied, it would be inconvenient to add a clause that generalizes every such scenario. As I said, the distressed people should ideally negotiate with mining entities and find a compromise or solution to the problem without hostility.”

“I suggest adding a clause excluding celestial bodies with features visible to the naked eye, with a possible exception allowing the mining of the far side of one that is tidally locked. There will be no negotiation to be had between a small, impoverished nation and an international mining company- the company will do whatever it wishes and the nation will not be able to afford to do a single thing about it.”

“Said clause would defeat the purpose of the resolution, as it would open up too many loopholes regarding which bodies are “visible” and which are not. If said small impoverished nation happens to be a member state, it can reach out for help. It is unsafe to assume anything, ambassador”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly