NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Rights and Duties..."

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 am

Aclion wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“So... Natsov? The moral and economic weight of member states means nothing to autarkies without any moral considerations. Sometimes, only military action can properly force the actions of a government. If your nation really can’t consider sending soldiers to fight for sapient rights, then I question why it is in a body dedicated to these rights in the first place.”

"If a nation has chosen isolationism and autotarky to maintain it's noncompliance then it's hard to imagine that it has not also chosen to have sufficient weapons of mass destruction to make military intervention a nonstarter. A WA army is a solution a century out of it's place."

“I acknowledge that military action is not always practical. However, the General Assembly should at least be given the choice to pursue an armed resolution if it deems this pragmatic.”

Bananaistan wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“So... Natsov? The moral and economic weight of member states means nothing to autarkies without any moral considerations. Sometimes, only military action can properly force the actions of a government. If your nation really can’t consider sending soldiers to fight for sapient rights, then I question why it is in a body dedicated to these rights in the first place.”

"Pacifism =/= NatSov.

"Think about how a potential military action might play out. The WA threatens military action against a non-compliant member state. All the member state need do is leave the WA and it's safe. A WA army could only be used against WA member states (OOC: remember the metagaming rule and that the WA cannot force compliance on non-WA nations). So the offending member state resigns and the WA army must immediately leave the territory had it already invaded. The whole idea is pointless.

"Indeed the concept actually raises a further appalling vista. Innocent bystanders, citizens of a WA member state, getting killed in the cross fire when the WA army goes off half cocked to capture a war criminal in some hell hole that just happens to be a WA member state."

“If the offending member nation leaves, that works fine by me. Ceasing noncompliance could be a very primary aim, and a non-member cannot be noncompliant by default. As for the question of innocent bystanders, this is a matter that is true of any military force. Therefore, the same principle applies: the number of collateral losses should be minimised as far as possible while still carrying out the engagement’s objective.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:59 am

"Perhaps, Ambassador, because you have presented a blatantly false dilemma of such magnitude that we can only assume they made such in a fit of temporary amnesia. In no way does a dedication the promotion of sapient rights imply a dedication to global military adventurism at the behest of a politically unaccountable, popularity contest driven bureaucracy. Perhaps the ambassador should consider that we may well find it possible, and desirable, to engage with fellow states through the other, virtually limitless, avenues that are available.

One might further consider that we find it beneficial, or at least necessary, to allow other considerations and principles into the calculus of foreign policy. Surely the ambassador is acquainted with the idea that some states may see military force's legitimate role as being defensive in nature, instead of a club to be brandished wantonly across the globe against anyone sufficiently "non-compliant" with whatever the cause du jour is? We similarly assume that the ambassador is at least passingly aware of the concept of political accountability and civilian control of the military? Is it really that hard to fathom that we might value that at least equally?

Nevermind the practical concerns."

OOC: Or short version, my IC ambassador has no interest in giving the WA the power to compel participation in the inevitable Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Serbia, etc. that results from this sort of global police nonsense.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:59 am

Kenmoria wrote:“If the offending member nation leaves, that works fine by me. Ceasing noncompliance could be a very primary aim, and a non-member cannot be noncompliant by default. As for the question of innocent bystanders, this is a matter that is true of any military force. Therefore, the same principle applies: the number of collateral losses should be minimised as far as possible while still carrying out the engagement’s objective.”

"If the offending member nation leaves, the primary pillar on which this repeal is built falls, that is WA forces apprehending various ne'er do wells.

"Your cold and heartless attitude to what you call "collateral losses" is typical of the many chest thumping ambassadors representing various chauvinist regimes we find in this assembly. I hope you enjoy that company.

"These "collateral losses" would be far better off if the WA didn't decide to march an army through their neighbourhood. Life under a regime which would harbour war criminals is far better than no life at all.

"We agree with our colleague representing Desmosthenes and Burke. The WA has far better tools at its disposal already to encourage compliance."
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Don't vote those bad things into existence? I'm incredulous as to why regulars seem to believe that repeal of this resolution so to give teeth to say, humanitarian transport operations, would lead to the WA invading its own states without the passage of legislation to that effect.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Don't vote those bad things into existence? I'm incredulous as to why regulars seem to believe that repeal of this resolution so to give teeth to say, humanitarian transport operations, would lead to the WA invading its own states without the passage of legislation to that effect.

OOC: Better safe than sorry
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Don't vote those bad things into existence? I'm incredulous as to why regulars seem to believe that repeal of this resolution so to give teeth to say, humanitarian transport operations, would lead to the WA invading its own states without the passage of legislation to that effect.

OOC: I'm incredulous that you're incredulous tbh. It's hardly all that surprising that we're ICly discussing the potential for future WA forces when it's one of the key arguments in the repeal.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

Lol Banana, where are the secret invisible clauses saying that I'm repealing this because it'd be awesome to invade member nations?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 pm

"You decry the WA's inability to use force, whinge about its inability to enforce its diktats without force, and endorse a replacement that calls for "presumed consent to intervention" even in the face of non-consent to intervention in sovereign states and wonder why there is concern about what this repeal will lead to. With respect ambassador, perhaps your age is beginning to affect your mental acuity."
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 am

I would have imagined that someone present here so long as yourself would have discovered the distinction between IC and OOC statements. But perhaps I was overly optimistic. Substantively, it requires little more than me to say: Don't vote legislation authorising the WA to invade its members into effect.

If you'd like to debate the proposal at hand, perhaps you could justify inaction and impotence in the face of attacks on humanitarian vessels, aid workers, and hospital ships. Or how war is consensual. Or how when a population is being systematically murdered, we should take none of the actions that would actually directly effect their survival.

Otherwise, I'm prepared to promise, to assuage the anti-democratic element of this Assembly, that I won't given repeal of GA 2, support a proposal which would permit the WA to invade member nations merely because it wants to.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 am

Probably because we have no faith in the GA voting-base, and why would we? The vast majority of voting power rests with people who don't even participate in the forums. Even the advisors to major delegates are often profoundly ignorant of the content of the proposals they advise on, though this would be more relevant if they were actually listened to. I can absolutely imagine us voting to authorize the invasion of countries because the title was something suitably attractive.

Hell the fact that this resolution has survived as long as it has is a testament to the incompetence of the WA.
Last edited by Aclion on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Puzzled by the target resolution defining war as consensual

Rights and Duties came into existence at a time when the RP community and the GA community were a bit better connected. Defining war as a consensual acts between two nations served to recognize a brute fact about this role-playing game: that ultimately it took two nations agreeing to play together and have a "war." That provision of R&D reflects the prevailing norm that a nation cannot be forced to role play a war in which it was involved, and that no one should be allowed to role play a war involving a nation if that nation did not want to be a part of that.

Put differently, R&D simply recognizes that, as a matter of fact, I cannot run to the II forum right now and start a "war" between Losthaven and Imperium Anglorum. The participation of your nation in such a game requires your consent. It takes two to tango or, in this case, war.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Noting that article 10 of GA 2 prohibits the World Assembly from 'organising ... police actions ... under the WA banner',

Believing that the World Assembly cannot effectively enforce legislation against genocide, state terrorism, and mass murder, without its being able to directly and credibly arrest perpetrators of such heinous crimes and render them to its direct jurisdiction,

Finding it manifestly immoral that the Assembly be prohibited from establishing a police force so to render to its direct jurisdiction mass murderers and terrorists to be tried and convicted for their crimes, thereby deterring others from committing similar crimes of similar magnitude,

The heavy use of ellipses misleadingly characterizes what R&D says and how it works. It confuses a military "police action" under a WA banner with the ability of member nations law enforcement to make arrests. I'm not sure how this will be viewed by Gen Sec given their inconsistent and convenient application of the Honest Mistake Rule.

The whole provision of Art 10 says: "Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner." Suffice to say, R&D probably does not prevent the WA from taking measures to "directly and credibly arrest perpetrators of such heinous crimes." A law requiring individual member nations to act in their own individual capacity to bring war criminals to justice, for example, is certainly consistent with R&D.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Objecting to the further inability provided by this article against WA 'ratification' of defensive measures (such measures being military activities) meaning that it is unable to protect humanitarian aid supplies and diplomatic envoys from foreign or non-member state interdiction,

This is confusing. How does a prohibition on ratification (a process of giving formal consent) of "armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities" lead to the conclusion that the WA cannot protect humanitarian aid supplies or diplomatic envoys?

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Flabbergasted by the inability of the World Assembly to take a stance against manifestly immoral wars of pure aggression which seek to undermine the peace and subject the populations of member nations to despotism, and

Given the existence of the Security Counsel, it's simply not true that the WA has no ability to "take a stance" against immoral wars of aggression. Nations perpetrating such acts can be formally condemned.

I am ambivalent about a repeal of R&D. On the one hand, it would create new and exciting areas of legislation. On that other hand, those same areas are fraught with danger for abuse. Long ago I accepted the role of the WA as being a community of nations acting collectively. Conceptually, I believe it's an apropriate restraint on the power of the WA to limit its possession of a military. R&D explicitly allows member nations to bind together in collective self-defense against armed attack; I think that's the appropriate place for military power to remain.

Going beyond that to a world where the WA is a military power of its own accord, independent of the member states, is a chilling prospect. Frankenstein's monster comes to mind. We ought to beware the creation of such a powerful force when we simply cannot know what ends it might ultimately go to.
Last edited by Losthaven on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Losthaven wrote:Rights and Duties came into existence at a time when the RP community and the GA community were a bit better connected. Defining war as a consensual acts between two nations served to recognize a brute fact about this role-playing game: that ultimately it took two nations agreeing to play together and have a "war." That provision of R&D reflects the prevailing norm that a nation cannot be forced to role play a war in which it was involved, and that no one should be allowed to role play a war involving a nation if that nation did not want to be a part of that.

Put differently, R&D simply recognizes that, as a matter of fact, I cannot run to the II forum right now and start a "war" between Losthaven and Imperium Anglorum. The participation of your nation in such a game requires your consent. It takes two to tango or, in this case, war.

I'm aware of the provenance of the definition. That doesn't change the fact that war is very rarely 'consensual'.

Losthaven wrote:The heavy use of ellipses misleadingly characterizes what R&D says and how it works. It confuses a military "police action" under a WA banner with the ability of member nations law enforcement to make arrests. I'm not sure how this will be viewed by Gen Sec given their inconsistent and convenient application of the Honest Mistake Rule.

The whole provision of Art 10 says: "Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner." Suffice to say, R&D probably does not prevent the WA from taking measures to "directly and credibly arrest perpetrators of such heinous crimes." A law requiring individual member nations to act in their own individual capacity to bring war criminals to justice, for example, is certainly consistent with R&D.

I'm under the impression that Rights and Duties prohibits the WA from establishing a WA police force, which is what is reflected in the text. If you think it doesn't in fact do that, that would an interesting development.

Losthaven wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Objecting to the further inability provided by this article against WA 'ratification' of defensive measures (such measures being military activities) meaning that it is unable to protect humanitarian aid supplies and diplomatic envoys from foreign or non-member state interdiction,

This is confusing. How does a prohibition on ratification (a process of giving formal consent) of "armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities" lead to the conclusion that the WA cannot protect humanitarian aid supplies or diplomatic envoys?

I've changed the word here to 'organising', as upon reflection, you make a reasonable claim as to the use of the word ratification (although if that is in fact the case, the clause has no meaning given the historical scope of the meta gaming rule, as there are no matters which could be ratified).

Losthaven wrote:
Given the existence of the Security Counsel, it's simply not true that the WA has no ability to "take a stance" against immoral wars of aggression. Nations perpetrating such acts can be formally condemned.

As per [2016] GAS 1, the SC doesn't exist.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Losthaven wrote:The heavy use of ellipses misleadingly characterizes what R&D says and how it works. It confuses a military "police action" under a WA banner with the ability of member nations law enforcement to make arrests. I'm not sure how this will be viewed by Gen Sec given their inconsistent and convenient application of the Honest Mistake Rule.

I'm under the impression that Rights and Duties prohibits the WA from establishing a WA police force, which is what is reflected in the text. If you think it doesn't in fact do that, that would an interesting development.

Article 2 § Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law.

Article 3 § Every WA Member State has the duty to refrain from unrequested intervention in the internal or external economic, political, religious, and social affairs of any other NationState, subject to the immunities recognized by international law.

Have you noticed the word immunities in Articles 2 and 3? Remove the immunities and the WA can do pretty much anything it likes.

As for a police force?
Article 10 § Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner.

Would depend on the definition of a police action. In my opinion, that is what is referenced in the resolution. There is nothing in Rights and Duties that prevents the formation of a WA Police Force, so long as it refrains from engaging in military action.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 pm

Wayneactia wrote:As for a police force?
Article 10 § Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner.

Would depend on the definition of a police action. In my opinion, that is what is referenced in the resolution. There is nothing in Rights and Duties that prevents the formation of a WA Police Force, so long as it refrains from engaging in military action.

(OOC; That interpretation very much differs from precedent, which has previously been far more broad and prohibited the WA from engaging with any police or military action in the ways described.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:31 am

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC; That interpretation very much differs from precedent, which has previously been far more broad and prohibited the WA from engaging with any police or military action in the ways described.)

According to mod precedent. I can't seem to find any rulings where GenSec has given us their interpretation.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:29 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC; That interpretation very much differs from precedent, which has previously been far more broad and prohibited the WA from engaging with any police or military action in the ways described.)

According to mod precedent. I can't seem to find any rulings where GenSec has given us their interpretation.

Ooc: that's how we've been enforcing it on the control panel. It's not precedent but it's a good predictor.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

Ooc: that's how we've been enforcing it on the control panel. It's not precedent but it's a good predictor.

Hmmm. You guys seem to be enforcing a very broad interpretation, of a very narrow clause. It clearly states "Article 10 § Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner." Once again, police actions, not police force.

Would this not be one of those instances where you guys should bang your heads together and gives us an official once and for all ruling on this?

wait

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 am

OOC Post

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

I agree with Losthaven here, but the last time this came up in a GenSec discussion I was outvoted 5-1.

Kenmoria wrote:

Much if not all of the old Modly precedent comes from the time when "No WA Military or Police" was actually a basic rule, rather than just dependent on R&D.

Wayneactia wrote:According to mod precedent. I can't seem to find any rulings where GenSec has given us their interpretation.

viewtopic.php?p=30501792#p30501792
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:17 am

Everyone keeps saying R&D and I keep thinking raiders and defenders.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:24 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Everyone keeps saying R&D and I keep thinking raiders and defenders.

Same here.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:34 am

Ninja'd: Bears's link to opinions is worth reading the full discussion: the thread begins here and as stated (including explicitly in my concurring opinion), we've been assuming that GAR 2/Art. 10 was the IC articulation of the No WA Police/No WA Army rule, and that "police actions" means "actions of the police" as well as its imperialistic peacekeeping definition. As far as I know that is also the general understanding of the community at large. We could change that interpretation immediately, but I wouldn't want to do so without community input.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 am

Re supra—

From SL's opinion which was the plurality:

GAR #2, Article 10 refers to "police actions;" is this the RL international studies definition - military action undertaken without a formal declaration of war? This interpretation would ignore the entire history of GAR 2: not only a WA military, but WA police were forbidden. The entire point of that article was to rule out both military and police actions, the latter clearly meaning simply "actions taken by the police." If the phrase were solely used for the military sense, that would mean that a WA police force has actually been legal for most of a decade. I reject that absurd result and use the mundane "police action" = "actions of police."

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:09 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Everyone keeps saying R&D and I keep thinking raiders and defenders.

OOC: This applies to me
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Re supra—

GAR #2, Article 10 refers to "police actions;" is this the RL international studies definition - military action undertaken without a formal declaration of war? This interpretation would ignore the entire history of GAR 2: not only a WA military, but WA police were forbidden. The entire point of that article was to rule out both military and police actions, the latter clearly meaning simply "actions taken by the police." If the phrase were solely used for the military sense, that would mean that a WA police force has actually been legal for most of a decade. I reject that absurd result and use the mundane "police action" = "actions of police."

OOC
Have you forgotten? The creation of a WA Police was actually illegal under the basic proposal-writing rules until the last major re-write.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Re supra—

OOC
Have you forgotten? The creation of a WA Police was actually illegal under the basic proposal-writing rules until the last major re-write.

OOC: Are you talking to me, or to IA? The point of the quoted language was that GAR #2 was the IC application of game rules, and Article 10 specifically of the No Police / No Army rule. I relied on that to mean that we should reject a proposed WA "peacekeeping" force that would have been functionally little more than WA police, after the revocation of the no army / no police rule. As I stated in that thread, if "police action" means exclusively military action, the entire case was decided wrongly and the proposal should have been legal.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly