NATION

PASSWORD

[CLOSED] Repeal GA #179 Clean Prostitute Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Alsace and Lorraine United
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[CLOSED] Repeal GA #179 Clean Prostitute Act

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:10 pm

[list=][/list]Repeal GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act”

Affirming that the attempt to return the ability to legislate on prostitution back to the nations is a noble one.

Expecting that by allowing member nations to regulate the prostitution industry, the world wide incarceration rate of non-violent offenders will decrease as some nations decriminalize prostitution. Decreasing spending in turn and lifting the burden off of the taxpaying citizens.

Considering that nations within the World Assembly share diverse cultures and practices. Thus, by allowing member nations to regulate prostitution, cultural and religious practices are protected rather than infringed upon whether it be for or against prostitution.

Deeply concerned that the WA regulating in any one way will always find conflict with certain nations traditions and laws, whether that be religious institutions or laws in nations that completely out law sexual intercourse in all forms.

Observing that while not completely invalidating GA #179, the contradiction made by the bill makes it unnecessary. As the bill concerns itself with taking regulation power on the topic away from the WA, but later providing a way that the WA could further regulate.

Hereby,

Repeals GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act” and thus returning legislative powers back to the member nations wholly

Repeal GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act”

Acknowledging that the attempt to return the ability to legislate on prostitution back to the nations is a noble one.

Observing that the original documents endeavor to allow nations to legislate on prostitution will allow free trade to flourish in nations of which choose to allow it while still allowing nations who find it morally reprehensible to enact legislation upon it.

Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act and provides a means by which the freedom of this trade may be stunted by the WA, while the rest of the document calls to distance the WA from the issue.

Noting that by allowing the nations to legislate on prostitution without restrictions by the WA, economic benefits as well as cultural benefits can be achieved rather than one or the other based on the choice whether to or not to ban prostitution.

Hereby,

Repeals GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act” and thus returning legislative powers back to the member nations wholly.
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm

"Place a comma after “Hereby”. You also don't have very many reasons for a repeal."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"Place a comma after “Hereby”. You also don't have very many reasons for a repeal."

the reason being that the only point of the original document was to return the legislating power to nations but it then strips it from them at the end and fixed

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:28 pm

If this is your entire proposal, it's one of those actual NatSov repeals that people keep saying will plague the Assembly. And I don't think it'll be supported at large. Saying nations should have the power isn't an argument. An argument would justify why nations should have the power and why the WA regulations are bad.

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:

Acknowledging that the attempt to return the ability to legislate on prostitution back to the nations is a noble one.

Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act.

Hereby,

Repeals GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act” and thus returning legislative powers back to the member nations wholly.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:If this is your entire proposal, it's one of those actual NatSov repeals that people keep saying will plague the Assembly. And I don't think it'll be supported at large. Saying nations should have the power isn't an argument. An argument would justify why nations should have the power and why the WA regulations are bad.

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:

Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act.

Hereby,

Did you read the original document, the point of the repeal is to accomplish what the document says it is supposed to accomplish but than fails to follow through on

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Your proposal says that the target claims NatSov principles but infringes on them at the end. And you want to repeal it for having provisions which intrude on national sovereignty. Your argument is utterly disconnected from the implicit ethical claim that this matter should be dealt with at the national level and that nations should be free to make legislation on the matter. You should justify why nations should ethically be able to do those things. The lack of an internal link, to me, prevents these assertions from being weighed and provides no justification for their truth. Arguments include three things: a claim, a warrant, and an impact. This statement lacks the latter two. On balance, it is not an argument.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Your proposal says that the target claims NatSov principles but infringes on them at the end. And you want to repeal it for having provisions which intrude on national sovereignty. Your argument is utterly disconnected from the implicit ethical claim that this matter should be dealt with at the national level and that nations should be free to make legislation on the matter. You should justify why nations should ethically be able to do those things. The lack of an internal link, to me, prevents these assertions from being weighed and provides no justification for their truth. Arguments include three things: a claim, a warrant, and an impact. This statement lacks the latter two. On balance, it is not an argument.

Edited

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 pm

"In the observing clause, I would explain my reasoning more closely. Most nation's delegations won't have a copy of the resolution to hand and won't know how it does this or contradicts itself."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:22 am

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act and provides a means by which the freedom of this trade may be stunted by the WA, while the rest of the document calls to distance the WA from the issue.
"Yes, requiring health screenings of workers who have a high risk of being iinfected by, and transmitting infections to, their clients and domestic partners, sure is a huge restriction on basic freedoms." :roll:

Noting that by allowing the nations to legislate on prostitution without restrictions by the WA, economic benefits as well as cultural benefits can be achieved rather than one or the other based on the choice whether to or not to ban prostitution.
"What benefits are those, Ambassador? I can't think of any 'benefits' that aren't outweighed by the increased public health risk; and the burden placed on states in which sex work is legal is so very minimal here. Basically no different from requiring radiation monitoring of workers who are in proximity to nuclear materials and power systems, which for some reason the WA hasn't seen fit to do. This repeal is a solution in search of a problem. Opposed."

OOC: As alluded to by others, this draft is currently illegal as a NatSov-only repeal (that is, literally the only argument you've made is that 'Hey, nations should be in charge of this instead of the WA!'). If you want this to be legal as well as have any hope of passing, you'll need to come up with actual reasons why the current law serves member nations badly, doesn't accomplish its own goals, or has terrible side-effects that can only be countered by repealing and possibly replacing the law.

Good luck!
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:03 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act and provides a means by which the freedom of this trade may be stunted by the WA, while the rest of the document calls to distance the WA from the issue.
"Yes, requiring health screenings of workers who have a high risk of being iinfected by, and transmitting infections to, their clients and domestic partners, sure is a huge restriction on basic freedoms." :roll:

"What benefits are those, Ambassador? I can't think of any 'benefits' that aren't outweighed by the increased public health risk; and the burden placed on states in which sex work is legal is so very minimal here. Basically no different from requiring radiation monitoring of workers who are in proximity to nuclear materials and power systems, which for some reason the WA hasn't seen fit to do. This repeal is a solution in search of a problem. Opposed."

OOC: As alluded to by others, this draft is currently illegal as a NatSov-only repeal (that is, literally the only argument you've made is that 'Hey, nations should be in charge of this instead of the WA!'). If you want this to be legal as well as have any hope of passing, you'll need to come up with actual reasons why the current law serves member nations badly, doesn't accomplish its own goals, or has terrible side-effects that can only be countered by repealing and possibly replacing the law.

Good luck!

It isn’t that health screenings are bad it is only that the whole point of the original document was to deregulate the industry but in turn ended up placing more restrictions also I will do my best to better elaborate
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 am

"I would not put such a big gap before the Hereby line."
My pronouns are he/him.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 am

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:Repeal GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act”

Affirming that the attempt to return the ability to legislate on prostitution back to the nations is a noble one.

Expecting that by allowing member nations to regulate the prostitution industry, the world wide incarceration rate of non-violent offenders will decrease as some nations decriminalize prostitution. Decreasing spending in turn and lifting the burden off of the taxpaying citizens.

Considering that nations within the World Assembly share diverse cultures and practices. Thus, by allowing member nations to regulate prostitution, cultural and religious practices are protected rather than infringed upon whether it be for or against prostitution.

Deeply concerned that the WA regulating in any one way will always find conflict with certain nations traditions and laws, whether that be religious institutions or laws in nations that completely out law sexual intercourse in all forms.

Observing that while not completely invalidating GA #179, the contradiction made by the bill makes it unnecessary. As the bill concerns itself with taking regulation power on the topic away from the WA, but later providing a way that the WA could further regulate.

Hereby,

Repeals GA #179 “Clean Prostitute Act” and thus returning legislative powers back to the member nations wholly

Observing that the original documents endeavor to allow nations to legislate on prostitution will allow free trade to flourish in nations of which choose to allow it while still allowing nations who find it morally reprehensible to enact legislation upon it.

Observing that the last clause of GA 179 contradicts the efforts made by the rest of the act and provides a means by which the freedom of this trade may be stunted by the WA, while the rest of the document calls to distance the WA from the issue.

Hereby,

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 am

We really do not see the author's point. We see no contradiction in the prior resolution, nor do we agree that its purpose was in any way deregulatory. We see absolutely no issues in the prior resolution that we would want resolved, and thus no reason to repeal it. Would the proponent of the repeal care to elaborate on what they would replace "The Clean Prostitute Act" with and explain why it is preferable to a resolution that retains power to the member states of the WA?
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:We really do not see the author's point. We see no contradiction in the prior resolution, nor do we agree that its purpose was in any way deregulatory. We see absolutely no issues in the prior resolution that we would want resolved, and thus no reason to repeal it. Would the proponent of the repeal care to elaborate on what they would replace "The Clean Prostitute Act" with and explain why it is preferable to a resolution that retains power to the member states of the WA?

Fair points all around however there would be no replacement in the wa, it would be left solely to the nations

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am

"I must ask if the author intends to submit a repeal. I would strongly recommend that there is one drafted, as leaving it to the member nation seems rather foolish for such a controversial and potentially dangerous business. One cannot trust WA countries to apply the appropriate amount of regulation for this."
My pronouns are he/him.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am

Kenmoria wrote:"I must ask if the author intends to submit a repeal. I would strongly recommend that there is one drafted, as leaving it to the member nation seems rather foolish for such a controversial and potentially dangerous business. One cannot trust WA countries to apply the appropriate amount of regulation for this."

This proposal is being abandoned

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly