NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Secular Education Reform Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Alsace and Lorraine United
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Secular Education Reform Act

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 am

Secular Education Reform Act

A resolution to promote ensure citizens right to education uninfluenced by religion

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage
Proposed by: Alsace and Lorraine United

Description:

NOTING that education is imperative to create a functional and civil society

AWARE that religion influences much of religious societies,

RECOGNIZING that education the operates outside of religious influences removes pressure of non-religious peoples to convert for comfort

SUGGESTING that creating opportunities for secular Education will result in a more advanced society and a more tolerant society

HEREBY

REQUESTS that nations provide opportunities to its citizens to partake in education of which is separated from religious institutions as well as ensures the secular institutions are not influenced by religious practices,

ESTABLISHES The Public Education Integrity Committee (PEIC),

TASKS the PEIC with ensuring that nations provide their citizens with secular Education opportunities as well as ensuring that the education received in secular school is of quality and effectiveness

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations allow citizens to decide how Secular Education institutions are established and funded through voting and referendum,

SUGGESTS that nations create “Educational Boards” made up of individuals who are voted into the position and are beholden to the voter as

CLARIFIES that this bill in no way removes or bans non-secular education. Only seeks to provide a nation's citizens with options
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 am

"Ambassador, what would you consider to be religious influence in secular schools, and why do you think this is such a pervasive problem as to require the involvement of the World Assembly?"
Last edited by Bruke on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:55 am

Bruke wrote:"Ambassador, what would you consider to be religious influence in secular schools, and why do you think this is such a pervasive problem as to require the involvement of the World Assembly?"

“Religious influence would include any attempt to convert or force beliefs onto citizens under the protection of education. As to why it is seen as pervasive, in some situations it could be completely harmless, in others however it could be very harmful. In either situation it is more about providing options and competition to further nations education systems. Thank you for your cordial reply”

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 am

“With all due respect, ambassador, I fail to see how this is of international importance.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 am

The First German Order wrote:“With all due respect, ambassador, I fail to see how this is of international importance.”

“If nations are meant to provide opportunities or freedom to people on their own peacefully do you fully expect them to do it on their own accord, with respect my fellow ambassador, Education affects everyone, the protection of citizens from possible opression by nations is precisely what the WA works against “
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:15 am

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“With all due respect, ambassador, I fail to see how this is of international importance.”

“If nations are meant to provide opportunities or freedom to people on their own peacefully do you fully expect them to do it on their own accord, with respect my fellow ambassador, Education affects everyone, the protection of citizens from possible opression by nations is precisely what the WA works against “

“I get that, but education is a national problem, not an international problem. I fail to see how forcing citizens to learn a nation’s religion in school is oppression. You don’t, and most likely won’t, have our delegation’s support on this proposal, ambassador.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

The First German Order wrote:

“I get that, but education is a national problem, not an international problem. I fail to see how forcing citizens to learn a nation’s religion in school is oppression. You don’t, and most likely won’t, have our delegation’s support on this proposal, ambassador.”

“With respect, perhaps this is an issue you have not been confronted with, your nation, ambassador, has outlawed religion in all forms, if you see no threat of religious oppression, it may be for this reason. I mean no disrespect and I’m sorry to hear that I cannot rely on your support, but competition makes for progress so perhaps you could support it on that alone, either way I thank you for your consideration“
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:38 am

“Against,” says Inan. “In Essu Beti, the village or town church essentially is the school. We simply do not have the resources- educational supplies, trained teachers, the ability to pay said teachers- to do otherwise.”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 am

"The noting clause is lacking finishing punctuation."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 am

If this somehow gets to vote, in light of rifts on this matter between D-A Smith and Assistant Williamson, Tinhampton will abstain.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am

The First German Order wrote:“I get that, but education is a national problem, not an international problem. I fail to see how forcing citizens to learn a nation’s religion in school is oppression. You don’t, and most likely won’t, have our delegation’s support on this proposal, ambassador.”

“With respect, perhaps this is an issue you have not been confronted with, your nation, ambassador, has outlawed religion in all forms, if you see no threat of religious oppression, it may be for this reason. I mean no disrespect and I’m sorry to hear that I cannot rely on your support, but competition makes for progress so perhaps you could support it on that alone, either way I thank you for your consideration“

“This has nothing to do with our nation’s stance on religion. This doesn’t change the fact that having religion taught in schools is not religion nor is it an issue of international concern.”

Greater Hellenic Byzantium
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Hellenic Byzantium » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am

“Ambassador, it seems that your proposal fails to account for nations that prefer to let their citizens choose education for their own children, rather than the state. It seems the legislation woruld force all WA conpliant nations to adopt public education systems and it establishes an international committee to pressure more nations into public education. As it stands right now, the legislation at hand severely threatens school choice policy throughout the world”

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 am

“This has nothing to do with our nation’s stance on religion. This doesn’t change the fact that having religion taught in schools is not religion nor is it an issue of international concern.”

"We wish to draw all delegates' attention to GA80. We are not sure what this proposal does that exceeds the mandates of the prior resolution. We also draw attention to clause 1, bulletin 7 which states:

GA 80 wrote:1. Declares that all citizens have the right to be educated, and thus be provided with the following capabilities through some sort of variation of edification:
• A fair and impartial familiarity to common cultural customs, beliefs and ideologies in their nation of residence and abroad;

We are of the opinion that this is effectively an affirmative requirement that educational institutions provide instruction in the majority religion, its customs, practices, rituals, etc. of a nation, and at least some of those things as they are in other nations. We are unsure of how a policy affirmatively requiring instruction in the Pantheon, the exploits of Iove, Aeneas, and Heracles, and the rights and observances of festivals such as Saturnalia could be accorded to an institution that is not influenced by those practices.

Greater Hellenic Byzantium wrote:“Ambassador, it seems that your proposal fails to account for nations that prefer to let their citizens choose education for their own children, rather than the state. It seems the legislation woruld force all WA conpliant nations to adopt public education systems and it establishes an international committee to pressure more nations into public education. As it stands right now, the legislation at hand severely threatens school choice policy throughout the world”

Ambassador, that has already come to pass. GA80 already requires that nations provide their citizens with an education encompassing a variety of fields. While you may not choose to have state run schools provide it, your nation is paying for it, making it a de facto public education system, regardless.
Last edited by Desmosthenes and Burke on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am

The bill is not about religion be taught in school, it is about religious institutions being the only option in some states

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“This has nothing to do with our nation’s stance on religion. This doesn’t change the fact that having religion taught in schools is not religion nor is it an issue of international concern.”

"We wish to draw all delegates' attention to GA80. We are not sure what this proposal does that exceeds the mandates of the prior resolution. We also draw attention to clause 1, bulletin 7 which states:

GA 80 wrote:1. Declares that all citizens have the right to be educated, and thus be provided with the following capabilities through some sort of variation of edification:
• A fair and impartial familiarity to common cultural customs, beliefs and ideologies in their nation of residence and abroad;

We are of the opinion that this is effectively an affirmative requirement that educational institutions provide instruction in the majority religion, its customs, practices, rituals, etc. of a nation, and at least some of those things as they are in other nations. We are unsure of how a policy affirmatively requiring instruction in the Pantheon, the exploits of Iove, Aeneas, and Heracles, and the rights and observances of festivals such as Saturnalia could be accorded to an institution that is not influenced by those practices.

Greater Hellenic Byzantium wrote:“Ambassador, it seems that your proposal fails to account for nations that prefer to let their citizens choose education for their own children, rather than the state. It seems the legislation woruld force all WA conpliant nations to adopt public education systems and it establishes an international committee to pressure more nations into public education. As it stands right now, the legislation at hand severely threatens school choice policy throughout the world”

Ambassador, that has already come to pass. GA80 already requires that nations provide their citizens with an education encompassing a variety of fields. While you may not choose to have state run schools provide it, your nation is paying for it, making it a de facto public education system, regardless.

This does not include options for education the bill is not concerned with religion being taught in schools, it is to ensure tjat there are options other than religious institutions for education

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:22 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“This has nothing to do with our nation’s stance on religion. This doesn’t change the fact that having religion taught in schools is not religion nor is it an issue of international concern.”

Also as to what this proposal does that exceeds GA 80, 80 only guarantees education, but it does not allow the choice of what education received and only says that an education must be provided thus freedom is restricted, making citizens beholden to one schools program
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Hellenic Byzantium
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Hellenic Byzantium » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:28 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote: Ambassador, that has already come to pass. GA80 already requires that nations provide their citizens with an education encompassing a variety of fields. While you may not choose to have state run schools provide it, your nation is paying for it, making it a de facto public education system, regardless.

With all due respect Ambassador, a government paying for private education is by no means a public education system. If a nation lets the free market provide schooling, the government is not in charge of these schools. The nation’s government can regulate the industry (especially in accordance with GA80) but that is not establishing state-run schools either.

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:38 am

The bill is not about religion be taught in school, it is about religious institutions being the only option in some states

“If a nation wants its religious institutions to play the role of public education as well, it should be able to. That is not oppressive in any way.”
Last edited by The First German Order on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:01 am

“If a nation wants its public education system to be its educational system as well, it should be able to. That is not oppressive in any way.”

It seems I cannot persuade you

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am

"And what of nations that are theocracies, where religious worship is mandatory?" asks Ambassador Julius Saturnia. "While we bear no love for these zealots, this bill as written would lose much of its power, in addition to violating their sovereignty to no small degree.
Further, it seems that the PEIC has too much leeway with respect to how it functions, and considering that the formation of the PEIC is the only thing that this bill actually does, that is a serious problem."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 am

"There are also spaces that are too big before and after the “Hereby” line."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:ESTABLISHES The Public Education Integrity Committee (PEIC),

TASKS the PEIC with ensuring that nations provide their citizens with secular Education opportunities as well as ensuring that the education received in secular school is of quality and effectiveness

It seems that these are your only active clauses. Under the new committee rule this isn't illegal, but this proposal is very skin and bones and I fail to see the importance of creating a whole new committee just for this purpose.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm

"The last clause is lacking finishing punctuation."
My pronouns are he/him.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm

1. Religious education does not automatically equal "Bad"
2. Secular education does not automatically equal "good"

This despite your trying to paint it as such. You rail against "religious education" and their insidious methods of forcing viewpoints and religion, all while trying to mandate an institutional indoctrination program against religion. Would you like to explain how one is different from the other?

There is no way I could ever support this in pretty much any form.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Religious education does not automatically equal "Bad"

OOC:
Yes it does.

Grays Harbor wrote:Secular education does not automatically equal "good"

Oh, we're on the same page there then.

Grays Harbor wrote:This despite your trying to paint it as such. You rail against "religious education" and their insidious methods of forcing viewpoints and religion, all while trying to mandate an institutional indoctrination program against religion.

As written, it's bad legislation, but I don't see how it does anything of the sort.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly