NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Crimes Against Peace

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Crimes Against Peace

Postby Auralia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Crimes Against Peace
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Strong

Committed to the pursuit of international peace and security among all World Assembly member states,

Seeking to establish criteria for just wars and to prohibit crimes against peace,

The General Assembly,

1. Defines a "initiation of armed conflict", for the purposes of this resolution, as any of the following:
    1. a declaration of war against a state, or
    2. a blockade, invasion, or attack, whether by military or paramilitary forces, that breaches an existing peace, whether formal or informal, and that is targeted against another state or a violent non-state actor operating in another state;
  2. Recognizes as a crime against peace any initiation of armed conflict that:
    1. is not taken for the primary purpose of:
      1. individual or collective self-defense against the target state or against a non-state actor operating in the target state, including preemptive action in the face of imminent attack or severe threats to national security,
      2. halting widespread and repeated violations of international human rights law that are being committed by the target state or a non-state actor operating in the target state, or
      3. another just cause,
    2. violates international law or a treaty to which the member state is a party,
    3. is taken by a non-state actor,
    4. has no reasonable prospect of achieving its defined objectives,
    5. is taken prior to exhausting all reasonable alternatives to conflict, or
    6. has expected benefits that are grossly disproportionately smaller than the expected harms,
    as well as attempting to, conspiring to, actively participating in, or inciting others to engage in such initiation of armed conflict;

3. Declares that territorial acquisition or subjugation of foreign populations do not constitute a just cause for an initiation of armed conflict;

4. Prohibits member states from committing crimes against peace;

5. Requires member states to duly prosecute government officials and other individuals subject to their jurisdiction who bear responsibility for a state or non-state actor committing crimes against peace;

6. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution should be interpreted as recognizing the following as crimes against peace, without prejudice to the right of the World Assembly to do so in future:
    1. purely domestic initiations of armed conflict, and
    2. initiations of armed conflict against a violent non-state actor with the consent of the state where the conflict occurs.
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Blockades are sometimes needed, just for my opinion. If we look back to the Cuba nuclear crisis, it was a blockade that stalled the Russians from giving nuclear weapons to Cuba. While we can roughly argue civil war as a military conflict, without self-defense. While Section 2 may of covered this, if it also covered the ability for the state to defend itself from civil unrest. Which as seen, can create a chaotic war zone with various factions vying for power. While Sections 4 through 6, overly extend the WA's power for National Sovereignty. While it is a good, draft. It is arguable, to support.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 pm

"We tentatively support this, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:55 pm

"Seeking the abolition of all war as an ultimate vision for the world, United Massachusetts offers strong support for this resolution."

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Believing that war is not a legitimate tool of international relations and may not be undertaken for reasons other than... the cessation of human rights violations,

"Unfortunate ambiguity is unfortunate.
I also object to the blanket statement that military actions by non-state actors are crimes against peace. There are times when civilians must take up arms to prevent crimes against humanity." [Consider,as a real life example, the Polish resistance groups that fought the Nazi and Soviet occupations of Poland and saved thousands of Jewish children from death camps]
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

"The Royal Republic will support your proposal, since it clearly allows for defensive and humanitarian wars. But we would suggest replacing the term "non-state actor" with more narrow terms such as terrorist organization, criminal enterprises, etc. That way the resolution does not forbid actions by, for example, resistance groups who are opposing a dictator."
Last edited by Bruke on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 am

"I would tighten up some of the definition to make it clear that wars against terrorist organisations and drug cartels are permitted but, other than that, full support."
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Oresland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oresland » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:18 am

"Fellow ambassador, we are glad to announce that we will be approving and voting for this proposal. What Kenmoria said should be taken into account."
Supreme Leader - Joseph Andropov
Prime Minister - Madelyn Lancer
WA Ambassador - Michael Richards
Ask our leaders questions here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=422727
I don't use NS stats
  • Conservative: 124
  • Liberal: 25
  • Independent (caucases as a liberal): 1

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:37 am

“We will support at the moment. No objections... yet.”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 am

Principality of the Raix wrote:Blockades are sometimes needed, just for my opinion. If we look back to the Cuba nuclear crisis, it was a blockade that stalled the Russians from giving nuclear weapons to Cuba.

If a blockade cannot be justified as "individual or collective self-defense against the target state or against a violent non-state actor in the target state, including preemptive action in the face of imminent attack or severe threats to national security," then I do not think the blockade should be permitted.

Principality of the Raix wrote:While we can roughly argue civil war as a military conflict, without self-defense. While Section 2 may of covered this, if it also covered the ability for the state to defend itself from civil unrest. Which as seen, can create a chaotic war zone with various factions vying for power.

Domestic military actions are now explicitly exempted from the scope of this proposal by its final clause. I think a separate proposal should govern these.

Aclion wrote:
Believing that war is not a legitimate tool of international relations and may not be undertaken for reasons other than... the cessation of human rights violations,

"Unfortunate ambiguity is unfortunate.

I agree the wording is awkward -- it is now fixed.

Aclion wrote:I also object to the blanket statement that military actions by non-state actors are crimes against peace. There are times when civilians must take up arms to prevent crimes against humanity." [Consider,as a real life example, the Polish resistance groups that fought the Nazi and Soviet occupations of Poland and saved thousands of Jewish children from death camps]

((OOC: Said resistance groups were acting on behalf of the Polish government-in-exile and therefore were not really "non-state actors". However, I have now exempted domestic military actions from this proposal.))

Bruke wrote:"The Royal Republic will support your proposal, since it clearly allows for defensive and humanitarian wars. But we would suggest replacing the term "non-state actor" with more narrow terms such as terrorist organization, criminal enterprises, etc. That way the resolution does not forbid actions by, for example, resistance groups who are opposing a dictator."

Kenmoria wrote:"I would tighten up some of the definition to make it clear that wars against terrorist organisations and drug cartels are permitted but, other than that, full support."

The proposal now exempts domestic military actions, as well as military actions taken where the state consents to the intervention.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 am

We are in full support of this. Peace is the primary objective that we uphold. Do we still get to keep our troops, though? We don't openly invade others, but surely we need it for defense. You'll never know who wants to invade us, or plan a coup.

- Chief Senator Shannon Gwendolyn Annette Tammie Elizabeth Jennifier Wanda

OOC: I can comment as a non-WA nation, right? Because my WA puppet is Victoriaans Nederlands, but that is technically under Valentine Z.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Slavonia and Srijem
Attaché

Founded: Nov 02, 2016

Postby Slavonia and Srijem » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 am

"This criminalizes war, Wars start by one nation suddenly attacking another".

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 am

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:"This criminalizes war, Wars start by one nation suddenly attacking another".
OOC: It may already be in certain cases, not sure.
“It criminalizes some wars. What is your problem with that? If you have a problem, we will use your beliefs to justify invasion.”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 am

Teran Saber: "Would a military response to a World Assembly proposal or resolution that threatens the existence, economy or general welfare of one or more member states be considered self-defense under this proposal? There have been quite a few proposals that have popped up that have been potentially detrimental to some nations, and in a large percentage of these cases their authors were unwilling to address the concerns of the affected nations, or worse, would respond with hostility."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Oresland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oresland » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Valentine Z wrote:OOC: I can comment as a non-WA nation, right? Because my WA puppet is Victoriaans Nederlands, but that is technically under Valentine Z.

OOC: Yes, look at Kenmoria, they have a puppet that's in the WA, yet they're using their main nation to debate.
Last edited by Oresland on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme Leader - Joseph Andropov
Prime Minister - Madelyn Lancer
WA Ambassador - Michael Richards
Ask our leaders questions here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=422727
I don't use NS stats
  • Conservative: 124
  • Liberal: 25
  • Independent (caucases as a liberal): 1

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Slavonia and Srijem wrote:"This criminalizes war, Wars start by one nation suddenly attacking another".
“It criminalizes some wars. What is your problem with that? If you have a problem, we will use your beliefs to justify invasion.”

You may wish to retract this threat, Ambassador. Our opinion is much the same, and if you wish to use that as a pretext for invasion, to invade those whose opinion in the WA differs from yours, ... well, the results may be a bit disastrous for you.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:07 pm

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:Teran Saber: "Would a military response to a World Assembly proposal or resolution that threatens the existence, economy or general welfare of one or more member states be considered self-defense under this proposal? There have been quite a few proposals that have popped up that have been potentially detrimental to some nations, and in a large percentage of these cases their authors were unwilling to address the concerns of the affected nations, or worse, would respond with hostility."

What exactly would a military response to a World Assembly proposal or resolution consist of? A World Assembly proposal or resolution is not an entity that one can go to war with.

Martin Russell

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Auralia wrote:
The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:Teran Saber: "Would a military response to a World Assembly proposal or resolution that threatens the existence, economy or general welfare of one or more member states be considered self-defense under this proposal? There have been quite a few proposals that have popped up that have been potentially detrimental to some nations, and in a large percentage of these cases their authors were unwilling to address the concerns of the affected nations, or worse, would respond with hostility."

What exactly would a military response to a World Assembly proposal or resolution consist of? A World Assembly proposal or resolution is not an entity that one can go to war with.

Martin Russell

Teran Saber: "I'm not talking about declaring war on the proposal. I'm talking about declaring war on the nation making the proposal. In such a situation where a proposal would directly dismantle a nation's government, economy or infrastructure, and the author of the proposal is not willing to discuss the issue, at that point the author's nation is threatening the existence of the nation that would be negatively affected by the proposal."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Fauxia wrote: OOC: It may already be in certain cases, not sure.

You may wish to retract this threat, Ambassador. Our opinion is much the same, and if you wish to use that as a pretext for invasion, to invade those whose opinion in the WA differs from yours, ... well, the results may be a bit disastrous for you.
“Excuse the mis-speak. We did not mean it as a threat, only as a hypothetical. We are not imperialist, however, many nations are.”

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm

I see no issues with the proposal as written, Ambassador. The Alliance fully supports.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Slavonia and Srijem
Attaché

Postby Slavonia and Srijem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 am

Fauxia wrote:

ooc: wars are never fair to either side, look at our IRL, for example Syria.

Skymoot
Attaché

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Skymoot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

Xascaster Flisk: "The Environmental Drakeocracy of Skymoot fully supports this resolution. We eagerly await its arrival on the voting floor. Well done ambassador."
Skymoot News Center: Towns welcome fireless steam engine future as railway lines bring jobs, tourists, and angry commuters | Hoogeloon City first in country to offer Skymoot Dragon Taming classes in universities | Grungy Glampers? National park rangers troubled by rising waste from new 'glamping' trend.| The "TWP Dragon" & the "Dragon Dragoon" brigade to be awarded for curing 130+ nations during Z-Day 2017. |||

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 am

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:
Fauxia wrote: OOC: It may already be in certain cases, not sure.

ooc: wars are never fair to either side, look at our IRL, for example Syria.

OOC: That isn't why international communities regulate war. It isn't a question of fairness, it's about reducing collateral damage and stabilizing relations.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Slavonia and Srijem
Attaché

Postby Slavonia and Srijem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Slavonia and Srijem wrote:ooc: wars are never fair to either side, look at our IRL, for example Syria.

OOC: That isn't why international communities regulate war. It isn't a question of fairness, it's about reducing collateral damage and stabilizing relations.

They are doing a poor job in regulating war then.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: That isn't why international communities regulate war. It isn't a question of fairness, it's about reducing collateral damage and stabilizing relations.

They are doing a poor job in regulating war then.

OOC: Mostly because they aren't regulating war itself.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly