NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] The World Assembly Art Library

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Covenstone wrote:
I know I might be missing something, but how is everything fixed? Clause 5 would still permit my nation to remove any piece of art from the exhibition, whether we donated it not, and Clause 6 would still require the reanimation of dead artists to give their consent for their works of art to be donated. Neither of these are what I would consider to be reasonable positions.

Deedee meanders in at this, and replies, "Really, those seem like pretty reasonable positions to me. Who wouldn't want to have dead artists brought back to life? Unrelated to those points however, I must oppose. I see no logical reason that this proposal fills, that could not be better served by mandating funding to museums."

"Who wouldn't want to have dead artists brought back to life?"

Anyone who has watched any zombie movie ever??? Seriously - did you learn nothing from Dawn of The Dead? Nothing from Life after Beth? Nothing from Reanimator? Nothing from Anne of Green Gables II - Matthew's Return? (Spoiler alert - it does not end well!!).

But seriously - Clauses 5 and 6 are still problematic.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

The New European Order
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 am

Covenstone wrote:
The New European Order wrote:Greene: I fixed everything, guys! Sorry for the inconvenience...

I know I might be missing something, but how is everything fixed? Clause 5 would still permit my nation to remove any piece of art from the exhibition, whether we donated it not, and Clause 6 would still require the reanimation of dead artists to give their consent for their works of art to be donated. Neither of these are what I would consider to be reasonable positions.

Greene: I apologize, I did not read your comment above. I was referring to the other two. Give me a minute, and I'll fix your statements.
From the office of: Jack Smith
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
The New European Order
Office 26-D, Paris Parliament Building, 1743 Rue de Valet, Paris
smith.jack.tneo@Gmail.com
Active Assistant: None: Help Wanted

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 am

Covenstone wrote:
The New European Order wrote:Greene: I fixed everything, guys! Sorry for the inconvenience...

Greene: I fixed both clauses. Clause five now states that it has to be YOUR art for you to remove it, and clause six now states that in case of the death of an artist, the government gets custody over the art, and they get to decide if it goes in or not. Does that suit your concerns?
The New European Order

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 am

The New European Order wrote:
Covenstone wrote:

Greene: I fixed both clauses. Clause five now states that it has to be YOUR art for you to remove it, and clause six now states that in case of the death of an artist, the government gets custody over the art, and they get to decide if it goes in or not. Does that suit your concerns?

I know this is going to sound picky, but that's not exactly what I meant.

Sometimes the government has taken custody of the art, but sometimes the artist's estate has taken custody of it. My original comment (way back when) was meant to relate to who needs to grant permission for it to be displayed.

How about (something like) this:- "In the case of a deceased artist's work, permission is required from the current custodian of the piece"? Just in case it is not the government that has permission, but someone else?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

The New European Order wrote:
Covenstone wrote:

"Art is not the plaything of the artist's government. In the event of the death of an artist, her property, including works of art, must be disposed of in accordance with her last will and testament and the ordinary laws of the land, as with any other deceased person. Central control over every last sphere of life is possible for the World Assembly, and for member governments... but it's a terrible idea. Try to moderate your ambitions, Ambassador - it's not the WA's job to suddenly create the world's premier art museum overnight."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"In the event of the death of an artist, her property, including works of art, must be disposed of in accordance with her last will and testament and the ordinary laws of the land, as with any other deceased person."

Even if the artist sold the piece of art when they were alive? Steph, what have you been smoking?

OOC: Janis is officially back from hunting down Wallenburg's runaway paperwork monster and torching it to ashes. :lol:

Frisbeeteria wrote:This really seems like too small an idea for the World Assembly. Creating a single gallery (which is all that is implied) for the entire WA membership seems kinda paltry. WA proposals ought to be broader and have implications for all member nations. In this case, each member nation could FedEx one or two packages to this Art Library and fully meet the expectations of the resolution. The resolution will have an effect on the nation's statistics far in excess of what the text demands.

OOC: You're still just making a gallery, TNEO.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:NORTH: When a piece of art is sold, the rights to that art transfer from the owner or creator to the person to which it is sold. An artist does not have eternal property rights to artistic creations. If an author wants to retain those rights, then they ought not have sold the creation. We object to clause six on that basis.

NORTH: This is still an issue.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:NORTH: When a piece of art is sold, the rights to that art transfer from the owner or creator to the person to which it is sold. An artist does not have eternal property rights to artistic creations. If an author wants to retain those rights, then they ought not have sold the creation. We object to clause six on that basis.

NORTH: This is still an issue.

Greene: I may misunderstand. Can you explain a little more?
The New European Order

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"In the event of the death of an artist, her property, including works of art, must be disposed of in accordance with her last will and testament and the ordinary laws of the land, as with any other deceased person."

Even if the artist sold the piece of art when they were alive? Steph, what have you been smoking?

Steph takes the cigarette case out of her inside coat pocket, opens it up, and takes a quick sniff.

"Nothing! Not since Sonnday,* at least. Anyway, there's really not that much cannabis in 'em. You want one?"

She stretches over far enough to lay the case and her lighter on the desk between herself and Janis, then straightens up and continues.

"Seldom as I agree with Lord North's pronouncements, he's got the right of it here. If the artist sold the work, it's no longer her property, is it? The way I read the clause at first, it seemed like the government would have 'custody' no matter what. That would be a bad precedent for the WA to set. I would suggest the author clarify that that clause is conditional, dependent on the work actually being willed to or lawfully seized by the government, rather than a wholesale sudden lurch into property and estate law."

Steph takes a sip of water. "My main point stands, I think. This proposal is focused too much on running a WA art museum and not enough on actually advancing the arts."

* OOC: Pronounced "Sunday," of course.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 am

OOC: Soon to be reworked, I have a lot going on right now, I'll do something about this later.
The New European Order

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly