NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] Protection of Nuclear Armaments

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

[Legality Challenge] Protection of Nuclear Armaments

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Protection of Nuclear Armaments

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild

Affirming the right for member nations to possess nuclear armaments;

Understanding that some nations may intend to promote violence with such armaments;

Acknowledging the interest of some nations in peacefully exchanging nuclear armaments;

this august Assembly hereby,

Requires that member nations with nuclear armaments take every precaution within the restriction of existing legislation to protect these armaments from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments;

Further requires that no member nation engage in the distribution of nuclear armaments with any nation known to incite conflict on a large scale or use its military assets ambiguously.

Link to drafting thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=398798

Rule broken: Duplication.

The things the proposal wants to do are already done by GAR #10:
NAPA wrote:3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Any nation that would use nukes to break WA laws or which isn't "engaged in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments", easily falls into the category "wrong hands".

Furthermore, GAR #330 already directs member nations to secure at least the explodey bits of nukes as per this clause:
Nuclear Testing Protocol wrote:7. Further demands that member nations classify all information and materials related to nuclear testing as state secrets and prevent this information or material with anyone not authorized to have access to this information,

The "materials related to nuclear testing" would definitely include the materials needed to make an exploding nuclear device, thus the same stuff needed to make an exploding nuclear weapon.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 pm

GenSec is reviewing your challenge. Do you have any thoughts regarding the Contradiction Rule or the Amendments Rule?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Araraukar wrote:Rule broken: Duplication.

The things the proposal wants to do are already done by GAR #10:
NAPA wrote:3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Any nation that would use nukes to break WA laws or which isn't "engaged in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments", easily falls into the category "wrong hands".

Except the ambiguity of "the wrong hands" inherently makes nothing "easily" fall into it. Member nations can, even within the scope of a good faith interpretation, manipulate "the wrong hands" to be one of many things, regardless of how much of an actual threat these "wrong hands" are. "Protection of Nuclear Armaments" does not duplicate GAR#10, since "the wrong hands" is far too vague for the more specific requirements of this soon-to-be resolution to contradict it.
Furthermore, GAR #330 already directs member nations to secure at least the explodey bits of nukes as per this clause:
Nuclear Testing Protocol wrote:7. Further demands that member nations classify all information and materials related to nuclear testing as state secrets and prevent this information or material with anyone not authorized to have access to this information,

The "materials related to nuclear testing" would definitely include the materials needed to make an exploding nuclear device, thus the same stuff needed to make an exploding nuclear weapon.

Neither the firing of a nuclear weapon in warfare nor the transaction of a nuclear weapon with another nation qualify as nuclear testing. The only materials and information GAR#330 concerns are those of a weapon that's actually being tested. Therefore, GAR#330 lacks any legislative power regarding the use of nuclear weapons in warfare or the use of them in diplomatic transactions. "Protection of Nuclear Armaments" does not duplicate GAR#330, as they have dramatically different scopes of legislation.
Our country is the world--our countrymen are mankind.
WA Delegate for Liberationists (Ambassador Oscar Mondelez).

For: good things
Against: bad things

Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Want to make the WA more democratic? Show your support here.
The Greatest GA Resolution Author Ever wrote:Due to more of the Econmy using computers instead of Paper The Manufactoring for paper prducts shpuld decrease because were wasting rescources on paper ad more paper is being thrown in the trash

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:GenSec is reviewing your challenge. Do you have any thoughts regarding the Contradiction Rule or the Amendments Rule?

CD,

I apologise if this is incorrect, the Secretariat was created whilst I was absent, so if I need to start a new thread to voice my own grievance let me know and I will.

I have already stated it in the original thread so don't mind reiterating it here. I would be of the opinion that the proposed legislation is at its core and amendment. The proposal accomplishes very little in my eye than adding additional stipulations to pre-acknowledging resolutions. I feel on reading it that should any "existing legislation" to paraphrase what I believe is used in the Proposal text not exist, this proposal would on it's own merits have very little to nothing to stand on.

My opinion and position to the Secretariat is that although it has never been stated by the author this could and should be viewed as an attempt to make additions to NAPA as an amendment piece.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:GenSec is reviewing your challenge. Do you have any thoughts regarding the Contradiction Rule or the Amendments Rule?

CD,

I apologise if this is incorrect, the Secretariat was created whilst I was absent, so if I need to start a new thread to voice my own grievance let me know and I will.

I have already stated it in the original thread so don't mind reiterating it here. I would be of the opinion that the proposed legislation is at its core and amendment. The proposal accomplishes very little in my eye than adding additional stipulations to pre-acknowledging resolutions. I feel on reading it that should any "existing legislation" to paraphrase what I believe is used in the Proposal text not exist, this proposal would on it's own merits have very little to nothing to stand on.

My opinion and position to the Secretariat is that although it has never been stated by the author this could and should be viewed as an attempt to make additions to NAPA as an amendment piece.

If we go by the existing rule regarding Amendments:
Amendments: A supplementary set of clauses that either enhance or modify an active proposal's text. Proposals cannot amend existing resolutions because the game's coding does not allow for it. To introduce new legislation, the active resolution must be repealed. This applies to appeals as well.

The proposal does not make any attempt to affect the text of GAR#10, so it inherently isn't an amendment.
If we were to treat this as a House-of-Cards scenario, we'd have to consider illegal every resolution with the phrase
AFFIRMING the right for member nations to possess nuclear weapons

or something along those lines.

The Greatest GA Resolution Author Ever wrote:Due to more of the Econmy using computers instead of Paper The Manufactoring for paper prducts shpuld decrease because were wasting rescources on paper ad more paper is being thrown in the trash

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 am

I forgot about the Amendments Rule entirely... :oops:

Yes, it reads as an amendment to NAPA, and I guess if you were very literal about #330, it might be contradiction, but currently Duplication and Amendment seem the most apt.

Oh, and Nilla, I won't argue about this challenge with you, because I don't believe that's how the council should work. We talked about this on your drafting thread and couldn't agree there (hence the challenge in the first place), so I can't foresee us agreeing here either. That doesn't mean I was ignoring you.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am

Araraukar wrote:Oh, and Nilla, I won't argue about this challenge with you, because I don't believe that's how the council should work. We talked about this on your drafting thread and couldn't agree there (hence the challenge in the first place), so I can't foresee us agreeing here either. That doesn't mean I was ignoring you.

Understood. I just wanted to say my piece regarding each possible challenge, since CD telegrammed me about this thread. I'll let the Secretariat decide from here.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 am

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Understood. I just wanted to say my piece regarding each possible challenge, since CD telegrammed me about this thread. I'll let the Secretariat decide from here.

Oh, of course, you have every right to respond to the challenge. :) And I usually post on the thread when I make one of these, but forgot this time. (Teaches me to post challenge threads when very tired...)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm not really seeing it, Ara. It doesn't really look to amend NAPA, it looks to add additional requirements, a la Reproductive Freedoms. That isn't changing the wrong hands doctrine of NAPA, but narrowing it with stand-alone legislation. Poorly, but legally.

I'm not sure anything less than trying to alter extant legislation directly as counting as an Amendment. Could you elaborate a bit more on Duplication? To me it looks like it falls in the category of acceptable duplication to clarify a topic.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:I'm not sure anything less than trying to alter extant legislation directly as counting as an Amendment. Could you elaborate a bit more on Duplication? To me it looks like it falls in the category of acceptable duplication to clarify a topic.

It does nothing but duplicate NAPA's 3rd clause and expand on its "wrong hands".

I get it that since it's at vote you guys are going to let it go, but you shouldn't; it sets the dangerous precedent that simply reclarifying a wording used in an existing resolution doesn't count as amendment.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:I'm not sure anything less than trying to alter extant legislation directly as counting as an Amendment. Could you elaborate a bit more on Duplication? To me it looks like it falls in the category of acceptable duplication to clarify a topic.

It does nothing but duplicate NAPA's 3rd clause and expand on its "wrong hands".

I get it that since it's at vote you guys are going to let it go, but you shouldn't; it sets the dangerous precedent that simply reclarifying a wording used in an existing resolution doesn't count as amendment.

"Entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments" is more specific than "wrong hands". It doesn't sufficiently duplicate NAPA, though, and it doesn't try to alter NAPA. It functions as a ratchet by expanding WA authority in the only direction NAPA allows, not unlike Reproductive Freedoms did with the material from On Abortion. There's a discernible distinction between the two of them that hasn't been explicitly barred or implicitly blocked on a topic that has been dealt with only broadly. This kind of interpretation would mean we couldn't prevent future resolutions dealing with discrimination in any fashion because of CoCR, which would close huge swathes of possible legislation and harm the game.

I don't speak for anybody but me, but I'm struggling to see it.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Abacathea wrote:

CD,

This is the right place. Once one player opens a challenge thread, all other legality concerns should be posted there as well.

Welcome back! :)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Araraukar wrote:I get it that since it's at vote you guys are going to let it go,

At Vote isn't the deadline. Mods have the capability to nullify it anytime in the next 3 days, 18 hours, and 14 minutes. If the secretariat rules that it's illegal before that deadline, they can ask us to nullify. If it's defeated, it's moot. Once it's voted in, it's law.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:I get it that since it's at vote you guys are going to let it go,

At Vote isn't the deadline. Mods have the capability to nullify it anytime in the next 3 days, 18 hours, and 14 minutes. If the secretariat rules that it's illegal before that deadline, they can ask us to nullify.

I thought it was called discarding? And in any case, various people (mods, councilors and others) have said that discarding/nullifying something that would otherwise pass, has - or at least should have - a much higher treshold than a not-at-vote challenge.

And I understand it's horrible (to the council peeps) having to make hurried decisions (and probably not very nice to the mods either for having to discard resolutions due to the inevitable backlash), but it seems that these things have to be submitted before the council will consider them at all and even then have to have some sort of realistic chance at passing, so I don't really know what else they can expect to happen... :(

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Araraukar wrote:I thought it was called discarding?

It is. I forgot the term.

Araraukar wrote: has - or at least should have - a much higher treshold

I'll admit that I missed a lot of that debate, but circumstances have made me the most active GA mod at the moment. At this point I'm just a button pusher for the Secretariat.

Araraukar wrote:it's horrible (to the council peeps) having to make hurried decisions (and probably not very nice to the mods either for having to discard resolutions due to the inevitable backlash),

I'm ever so happy to defer such backlash to another group for a change. It's never been easy, and now the Secretariat are discovering just how much fun it can be.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'll admit that I missed a lot of that debate, but circumstances have made me the most active GA mod at the moment. At this point I'm just a button pusher for the Secretariat.

I'm ever so happy to defer such backlash to another group for a change. It's never been easy, and now the Secretariat are discovering just how much fun it can be.

Schadenfreude tastes sweet, doesn't it? :lol:

Anyway, button pusher or not, I'm sure I'm not the only GA regular who's happy we've got at least one mod patient enough to deal with GA while Real Life's being mean to Wrapper (and probably others). Thank you for that. :hug:

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 am

Araraukar wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:At Vote isn't the deadline. Mods have the capability to nullify it anytime in the next 3 days, 18 hours, and 14 minutes. If the secretariat rules that it's illegal before that deadline, they can ask us to nullify.

I thought it was called discarding? And in any case, various people (mods, councilors and others) have said that discarding/nullifying something that would otherwise pass, has - or at least should have - a much higher treshold than a not-at-vote challenge.

And I understand it's horrible (to the council peeps) having to make hurried decisions (and probably not very nice to the mods either for having to discard resolutions due to the inevitable backlash), but it seems that these things have to be submitted before the council will consider them at all and even then have to have some sort of realistic chance at passing, so I don't really know what else they can expect to happen... :(

They don't have to be submitted for us to hear them, we just don't want to hear challenges on proposals unlikely to go anywhere. Its subjective.

Why should the threshold for legality be any different between the two? Illegal is Illegal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:20 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Why should the threshold for legality be any different between the two? Illegal is Illegal.

For the record, that's how I see it too...

If PNA fails to pass, will you guys still rule on this?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Why should the threshold for legality be any different between the two? Illegal is Illegal.

For the record, that's how I see it too...

If PNA fails to pass, will you guys still rule on this?

Yup. Perhaps not as fast, but yup.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Some of you like updates; some of you dislike them. I'll go ahead and give one anyway.

2 councilors think this proposal is legal
1 councilor is leaning legal
1 councilor is leaning illegal
1 councilor thinks this proposal is illegal

Four illegal votes seem unlikely at this point. It's improbable that a discard will occur.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Some of you like updates; some of you dislike them. I'll go ahead and give one anyway.

2 councilors think this proposal is legal
1 councilor is leaning legal
1 councilor is leaning illegal
1 councilor thinks this proposal is illegal

Four illegal votes seem unlikely at this point. It's improbable that a discard will occur.

It looks like it's failing the vote anyway, but as that list only counts 5/6 councilors, why would 4 votes be necessary? 3 out of 5 would be a majority.

And yes I dislike these uncertain updates. :P

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Please tell me we'll get the ruling before the vote ends this time?
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Wallenburg wrote:Please tell me we'll get the ruling before the vote ends this time?

We do the best we can. Not everybody has weighed in.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:34 pm

If the GenSec can't do its job, maybe it should consider dissolving. At least with the mods in charge we actually got rulings before voting ended.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Where there's a serious chance that we'll rule the proposal illegal, we have been pretty good about getting that ruling done in a timely fashion. Here there was little chance of it being found illegal (AFAICT only one of us really thinks it breaks any rules), so I don't really see any cause for concern about GenSec performance.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly