NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Defense of Critical Services

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:In a minefield, probably. *crickets*

I still think the category is wrong, but I know that's probably an unpopular opinion among people trying to cram things into IntSec (everyone, since the beginning). What edits did you make today to the OP?

OOC: precedent suggests the category works.
Also, I deleted the last line that you and SL criticized.

I'm aware of the precedent, and I think the precedent is wrong :p

Gotcha, I couldn't remember exactly what the clause was but I figured it was either removed or heavily edited.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:45 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: precedent suggests the category works.
Also, I deleted the last line that you and SL criticized.

I'm aware of the precedent, and I think the precedent is wrong :p

Then the precedent is almost certainly correct.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 am

OOC:This proposal seems to limit the usage of weaponry; can someone tell me why this is not Global Disarmament instead of International Security? It might create a paper trail(during wartime), but it also removes the necessity to defend critical services from other member nations in times of war(and costly attacks aimed at those).
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:58 am

Old Hope wrote:OOC:This proposal seems to limit the usage of weaponry; can someone tell me why this is not Global Disarmament instead of International Security? It might create a paper trail(during wartime), but it also removes the necessity to defend critical services from other member nations in times of war(and costly attacks aimed at those).

Ooc: it doesnt.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

New Periapsis
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Periapsis » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am

The nation of New Periapsis gives this proposal our full support.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 pm

OOC: Bump. Added some clarifications because of the litigious nature of the GA.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon May 27, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue May 28, 2019 12:38 am

"So what happens if a civilian guerrilla group decides to, let's say blow up a major dam, without any approval from their government, to deny the power generation and water resources to the invaders?"
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 am

Araraukar wrote:"So what happens if a civilian guerrilla group decides to, let's say blow up a major dam, without any approval from their government, to deny the power generation and water resources to the invaders?"

"I imagine that, were they successful, there would be a big flood, followed by power and water scarcity."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Araraukar wrote:"So what happens if a civilian guerrilla group decides to, let's say blow up a major dam, without any approval from their government, to deny the power generation and water resources to the invaders?"

"I imagine that, were they successful, there would be a big flood, followed by power and water scarcity."

"I meant, is it a war crime? Given that they are acting without any directions or approval of the state or indeed any kind of higher authority. Are they terrorists? They're only acting to deny the invaders the use of the infrastructure, during a war."
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"I imagine that, were they successful, there would be a big flood, followed by power and water scarcity."

"I meant, is it a war crime? Given that they are acting without any directions or approval of the state or indeed any kind of higher authority. Are they terrorists? They're only acting to deny the invaders the use of the infrastructure, during a war."

"If they aren't operating as part of the government, then they are not engaged in war crimes. They are certainly engaged in terrorism, but not war crimes. This isn't really an issue, since the threat of punishment from a war crime is meant to deter people from engaging in certain bad acts. Terrorists are already engaged in illegal, bad acts. They aren't deterred. I suppose I could change wording to "belligerent," but I gotta wonder at what point I'm getting diminishing returns on deterrence by slapping war crime charges on top of terrorism charges."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:26 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:They are certainly engaged in terrorism, but not war crimes.

"One man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist. But if they do not count as war crimes, then that is the answer I was looking for. Thank you."

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:19 am

"We support the current draft, however, this

The World Assembly:

"Critical services" are all infrastructure, systems, or devices...

does not make grammatical sense. We suggest an edit to this."

The World Assembly declares that:

"Critical services" are all infrastructure, systems, or devices...
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Bump

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 am

Ooc: the only issue raised here has been the category, which I belive recent rulings have satisfied. Absent additional feedback, I will likely submit this with PRiW.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:38 am

Ooc: PRiW had an issue so I held off. This will likely be submitted after PRiW is at vote and not in need of a campaign, one way or another. Comments are welcome and encouraged. Please point out issues prior to submission.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:54 pm

"Will this be submitted as ‘Defence’ or ‘Defense’?"
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:36 am

Honeydewistania wrote:"Will this be submitted as ‘Defence’ or ‘Defense’?"

"The text of the law prevails over errors in the title line. Defense."

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:55 am

OOC: Clause 6: who's -> whose

IC: "Sir, I question the utility of your benefit of the doubt in Clauses Five and Six. Military units which do not strike nuclear power reactors negligently, but on purpose are not required to render assistance to contain radioactive materials. You can say 'why would they anyway' but why minimize the number of possible war crime charges? And having the requirement across the board might be more likely to lead to the forcible relief of a war criminal by subordinates or superiors. I think 'accidentally or negligently' can simply be dropped."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Clause 6: who's -> whose

IC: "Sir, I question the utility of your benefit of the doubt in Clauses Five and Six. Military units which do not strike nuclear power reactors negligently, but on purpose are not required to render assistance to contain radioactive materials. You can say 'why would they anyway' but why minimize the number of possible war crime charges? And having the requirement across the board might be more likely to lead to the forcible relief of a war criminal by subordinates or superiors. I think 'accidentally or negligently' can simply be dropped."

"But the previous clause bans intentionally doing so. The accident or negligence angle is simply to cover all the bases."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:21 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Clause 6: who's -> whose

" This is a fair point. I excluded intentional strikes because I did not expect any credible entity to do so and then actually render aid, but if a member state so happily violates the law, I see no reason to spare them a few extra charges when the bell tolls for them."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:53 pm

Ooc: I honestly was sick of drafting proposals since...2017? 2018? Anyway you miserable bunch of rules lawyers, let's try again.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:01 pm

Article 7 is inconsistent with statute style, you inconsistently end clauses with semicolons and full stops, and "who's" in Article 6 should say "whose." Otherwise, support. I assume the bump was motivated by the Ukraine dam bombing ~24hrs ago.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Article 7 is inconsistent with statute style, you inconsistently end clauses with semicolons and full stops, and "who's" in Article 6 should say "whose." Otherwise, support. I assume the bump was motivated by the Ukraine dam bombing ~24hrs ago.

Ooc: Nah, IA asked about it.

Southwest Zumarik
Civilian

Founded: Jun 05, 2023
Civil Rights Lovefest

Draft

Postby Southwest Zumarik » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Article 7 is inconsistent with statute style, you inconsistently end clauses with semicolons and full stops, and "who's" in Article 6 should say "whose." Otherwise, support. I assume the bump was motivated by the Ukraine dam bombing ~24hrs ago.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly