NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Charter of the World Assembly

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:08 pm

Edlichbury wrote:On the current vote, let's note the line "Concerned that the target resolution prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, precluding the World Assembly from addressing violations of human rights or threats to international peace and security,"
You know what is included in the proposed replacement?
"The World Assembly shall not directly intervene in the internal and external affairs of non-member states."
You know what that does? It "prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, precluding the World Assembly from addressing violations of human rights or threats to international peace and security," occurring in over 100,000 nations!

The hypocrisy is strong, to say the least.

That's not true. Last I checked, "non-member states" did not mean "all states".
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sovreignry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Auralia wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:On the current vote, let's note the line "Concerned that the target resolution prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, precluding the World Assembly from addressing violations of human rights or threats to international peace and security,"
"The World Assembly shall not directly intervene in the internal and external affairs of non-member states."
You know what that does? It "prevents the World Assembly from taking or supporting any military action whatsoever, precluding the World Assembly from addressing violations of human rights or threats to international peace and security," occurring in over 100,000 nations!

Didn't you quit?
From the desk of
William Chocox Ambassador from The Unitary Kingdom of Sovreignry
Office 50, fifth floor, farthest from the elevator
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Why yes, we are better looking: UDL

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Once the repeal of GAR #2 passes, I will immediately propose a proposal a la GAR #1 to wipe clean the slate of international law.

It is time for revolution, and liberty will reign.
Adept Aramaki, Lord Ambassador of Most Holy Terra
“In the Name of the God-Emperor: Burn the Heretic, Kill the Mutant, Purge the Unclean”

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:Once the repeal of GAR #2 passes, I will immediately propose a proposal a la GAR #1 to wipe clean the slate of international law.

It is time for revolution, and liberty will reign.

"GAR#1 is unrepealable."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm not repealing GAR #1. I'm using the precedent it established to wipe clean the slate of international law. Without GAR #2, such an action should be legal.
“In the Name of the God-Emperor: Burn the Heretic, Kill the Mutant, Purge the Unclean”

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:I'm not repealing GAR #1. I'm using the precedent it established to wipe clean the slate of international law. Without GAR #2, such an action should be legal.

"Which you can't do. One resolution, one repeal."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:I'm not repealing GAR #1. I'm using the precedent it established to wipe clean the slate of international law. Without GAR #2, such an action should be legal.

OOC: Rights & Duties being repealed or not has no impact on the incredible illegality of such an action. Only the game admin is capable of "wiping clean the slate", and they have confirmed that they are not going to do that again.

<@MaxBarry> I would never do another reset like that
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Fine then, we shall embark on a Great Crusade to ensure that anarchy reigns.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:Fine then, we shall embark on a Great Crusade to ensure that anarchy reigns.

OOC: Instead of inflicting anarchy on the rest of us, why not resign and have as much anarchy as you want? No need to spoil the game for everyone else.

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Most Holy Terra wrote:Fine then, we shall embark on a Great Crusade to ensure that anarchy reigns.

OOC: Instead of inflicting anarchy on the rest of us, why not resign and have as much anarchy as you want? No need to spoil the game for everyone else.

OOC: but that is the fun of the game.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:

OOC: Uprooting the hard work of other players because you enjoy being able to claim "anarchy"? That's not fun, thats drifting into the gray area around trolling.

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:

OOC: Uprooting the hard work of other players because you enjoy being able to claim "anarchy"? That's not fun, thats drifting into the gray area around trolling.

OOC: I resent being accused of trolling. Besides, would not the Great Crusade be hard work?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Most Holy Terra wrote:

OOC: I resent being accused of trolling. Besides, would not the Great Crusade be hard work?

OOC: I didn't accuse you of trolling, I stated that you'd be drifting into the gray area surrounding trolling. This is starting to drift into a threadjacking. Feel free to take it to TG or create a thread for it.

Most Holy Terra
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Most Holy Terra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 pm

"Nevertheless, Most Holy Terra and the Imperium of Mankind strongly oppose this proposal, and any such like it. It is not our intent at this time to detail our exact proposal, but would hope this body would entertain, if only for a moment, passing no replacement to GAR #2, assuming the repeal effort is successful"

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm not sure a strength of Mild is quite accurate. This document is to be the foundation on which member nations base the fundamentals of their whole foreign policy. I can see that it seems relatively mild in comparison to what it wants to replace; but since it'll be gone due to the repeal requirement, this changes the largely hands-off attitude of the possibly imminent post-repeal WA by quite a lot. Thus I can't see how "Mild" possibly fits this.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Auralia wrote:

Apparently you missed the underlined, which still is a massive concern.

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Sovreignry wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Didn't you quit?

No dear sir, he was forced out due to his complete lack of ethics leading to rule violations.
Do not colour me shocked that he has continued on to attempt to repeal GA 2 and put in its place a nearly identical piece of legislation with the same flaw he felt necessitated a repeal of the former.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Edlichbury wrote:
Sovreignry wrote:
Didn't you quit?

No dear sir, he was forced out due to his complete lack of ethics leading to rule violations.
Do not colour me shocked that he has continued on to attempt to repeal GA 2 and put in its place a nearly identical piece of legislation with the same flaw he felt necessitated a repeal of the former.

Auralia-the-nation was expelled from this Assembly for violations of ethics rules. Following this, Auralia-the-player claimed he was retiring from the game. This retirement, however, did not last long enough to even count as a hiatus.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:No dear sir, he was forced out due to his complete lack of ethics leading to rule violations.

Auralia-the-nation was expelled from this Assembly for violations of ethics rules. Following this, Auralia-the-player claimed he was retiring from the game. This retirement, however, did not last long enough to even count as a hiatus.

I stated that I would probably retire.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Auralia wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Auralia-the-nation was expelled from this Assembly for violations of ethics rules. Following this, Auralia-the-player claimed he was retiring from the game. This retirement, however, did not last long enough to even count as a hiatus.

Will you probably submit this assuming your repeal passes or will you actually?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:
Will you probably submit this assuming your repeal passes or will you actually?

I am willing to bet this will not be submitted, if the repeal passes. The whole idea behind the repeal of #2 was so compliance would not be an issue, which backfired marvellously.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote: Will you probably submit this assuming your repeal passes or will you actually?

I am willing to bet this will not be submitted, if the repeal passes. The whole idea behind the repeal of #2 was so compliance would not be an issue, which backfired marvellously.

I figured that out. Why do you think I've a tentative Resolution Adherence Act out?

Some people always work in bad faith.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Laeriland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Laeriland » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 am

And they wonder why people don't trust them..

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:56 am

World Assembly Charter Working Group wrote:
Charter of the World Assembly
Category: Political Stability | Strength: Mild

We, the assembled member states of the World Assembly, in order to maintain international peace and security, to promote respect for fundamental rights and freedoms, and to further cooperation between all states in addressing social, economic, cultural, environmental and humanitarian problems, hereby establish the following World Assembly charter:

Article I: National Sovereignty

Section 1. All member states of the World Assembly are equal sovereign states and possess all of the rights and duties of governance, including the right to choose their own form of government and to exercise jurisdiction over their territory and everything therein, without interference from any other member state, in accordance with World Assembly law.

Section 2. All member states shall refrain from unjustified intervention in the internal and external affairs of other states, in accordance with World Assembly law.

Article II: Principles of the World Assembly

Section 1. All member states shall endeavour to maintain international peace and security, to promote respect for fundamental rights and freedoms, to cooperate with all other states in addressing social, economic, cultural, environmental and humanitarian problems, and to promote the utilization of the World Assembly as a centre of cooperation to achieve those common goals.

Section 2. All member states shall fulfill in good faith all obligations arising from World Assembly law and refrain from imposing any law or practice in violation thereof.

Section 3. All member states shall interpret World Assembly law in accordance with the ordinary meaning given to the terms of each law, in the context in which they are used, in light of the object and purpose of each law and without prejudice to any special meaning given to a term as defined in each law.

Section 4. All member states have the right to equality under the law with all other member states. The World Assembly shall not engage in unjust discrimination between member states.

Section 5. World Assembly membership is optional. All states that are not members of the World Assembly are not subject to its jurisdiction. The World Assembly shall not directly intervene in the internal and external affairs of non-member states.

Article III: International Peace and Security

Section 1. All member states have the right to individual and collective self-defence against armed attack. Member states are encouraged to establish collective security agreements with other states in order to preserve international peace and security.

Section 2. All member states shall first exercise all available peaceful and diplomatic means to resolve a dispute with another state.

Section 3. All member states shall refrain from the unjustified threat or use of force against other states, in accordance with World Assembly law. No member state shall engage in a war of aggression with another state, and member states shall not recognize any territorial acquisitions thereof.

Section 4. All member states shall not use the excuse of sovereignty to engage in acts of violence against their people. All member states have the duty to individually and collectively address violations of human rights and threats to international peace and security, including through the use of force if and when necessary, in accordance with World Assembly law.

First of all, this is not something I would agree too.
Second, you would have to repeal almost every single law put in place
Three, this is a bad idea, and you should feel bad. Sorry, not sorry.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Marlanta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Marlanta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 am

This charter is awful. It restricts the powers vested in Marlanta too far and our beautiful illustrious leader unanimously opposes the repeal of GAR #2 and the new Charter

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly