NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Rights of Surrendering Parties

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Rights of Surrendering Parties

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 pm

SUBMITTED. Delegates, if you would be so kind...

Rights of Surrendering Parties
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Cowardly Pacifists

The World Assembly:

RECALLING the commitment of Member Nations to see peace prevail and avoid military conflict whenever possible;

AWARE that belligerents may wish to surrender in an attempt to end a war or avoid pointless bloodshed;

OBSERVING that there are those who would take unjust advantage of an opponent's intent or desire to end hostilities;

CONCERNED that such tactics undermine the willingness of parties to negotiate the end of hostilities - prolonging war and increasing the terrible costs associated with armed conflict;

DETERMINED to protect those who would ultimately become prisoners of war;

Hereby:

1. PROHIBITS the killing, injuring, or targeting for attack of persons who have clearly expressed a genuine desire to negotiate surrender, unless and until those persons take some action to rejoin the fighting;

2. DEFINES "perfidy" as "any act of leading a military opponent to believe that they are entitled to (or obliged to afford) some protection, safety, or right under a World Assembly resolution or the international law of war, with the intent to betray the opponent's belief to secure an advantage." Acts that constitute perfidy include, but are not limited to: (1) feigning an offer to surrender, (2) falsely promising a truce or cease-fire, and (3) impersonating a civilian, doctor, international aid worker, or any other neutral party.

3. FORBIDS the use of perfidy as a military tactic, and outlaws harming an adversary by resorting to acts of perfidy;

4. AFFIRMS that those who engage in acts of perfidy against a Member Nation may be treated as active enemy combatants.

On Military Surrender
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Cowardly Pacifists

The World Assembly:

BELIEVING that military conflict should be avoided whenever possible;

AWARE that belligerent nations, armies, and soldiers may wish to surrender in an attempt to end a war or avoid pointless bloodshed;

CONVINCED that giving combatants an opportunity to surrender will drastically reduce the terrible costs associated with armed conflict;

1. DEFINES "surrender" as "the voluntary ceasing of military and belligerent actions, either by capitulation or giving oneself up as a prisoner of war."

2. OBLIGES Member Nations to offer terms under which opposing combatants may surrender if doing so can be accomplished safely;

3. MANDATES that if opposing combatants make a genuine offer to surrender unconditionally, Member Nations must accept their surrender;

4. URGES Member Nations to accept a genuine offer of conditional surrender made by opposing combatants if the offered terms would satisfactorily fulfill military objectives;

5. REQUIRES that once terms of surrender are agreed to, all parties to those terms must immediately cease hostilities;

6. CLARIFIES that when negotiating and following through on terms of surrender, Member Nations may take all necessary precautions to safeguard their citizens, troops, and national interests from deceit or abuse.

On Military Surrender
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Cowardly Pacifists

The World Assembly:

BELIEVING that military conflict should be avoided whenever possible;

AWARE that belligerent nations, armies, and soldiers may wish to surrender in an attempt to end a war or avoid pointless bloodshed;

CONVINCED that giving willing combatants an opportunity to surrender will drastically lessen the terrible costs associated with armed conflict;

HEREBY

1. DEFINES "surrender" as "the voluntary ceasing of military and belligerent actions, either by capitulation or give oneself up as a prisoner of war."

2. OBLIGES Member Nations to accept an offer of unconditional surrender made by opposing combatants.

3. FURTHER OBLIGES Member Nations to accept an offer of conditional surrender made by opposing combatants if the offered terms would satisfactorily fulfill military objectives.

4. FURTHER OBLIGES Member Nations to offer terms of surrender to opposing combatants if doing so can be accomplished safely.

5. CLARIFIES that Member Nations - when negotiating and following through on terms of surrender - may take all necessary precautions to safeguard their citizens, troops, and national interests from deceit or abuse.

The time has come for another cowardly Global Disarmament proposal. While I'm really more interested in my Contracts proposal I figured I'd throw this out there and see what kind of looks I get.

Hopefully mostly :) 's, though I'm expected a few >:( 's and :mad: 's, and maybe even a few :evil: 's.

Then again, maybe I'll get a few :D 's.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 20 times in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:41 pm

-How does this reduce military spending?

-What about nations/troops that have a history of using false flag surrenders or false surrenders as a military ploy? Military doctrine must deal with such occasions.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 pm

We will review the content of the proposal more thoroughly when you have put commas in those places where they have been inappropriately misplaced by full stops. :p
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Stalltopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Stalltopia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Stalltopia is considering supporting this proposal. However, we would like to point out that this will never pass as is because many will simply vote no when they read that this proposes forced cuts in military spending.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Stalltopia wrote:Stalltopia is considering supporting this proposal. However, we would like to point out that this will never pass as is because many will simply vote no when they read that this proposes forced cuts in military spending.

You're totally right. A Global Disarmament proposal has never passed at vote.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Kel-Elysia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kel-Elysia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Aha...ahahaha...AHAHAHA!!!

Want to make the world a more peaceful place? Allow people to make war so mindbogglingly horrible, and maybe people will consider talking things out for once. If you make war a less costly, horrible and unpleasant affair, you're only inviting people to try to enjoy it.
Last edited by Kel-Elysia on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|Factbook|Embassy Program|FT Military Factbook|Q&A
I am a character-oriented RP'er. You have been warned.

Don't take anything I say in an RP into an OOC context. Seriously, please don't.
My Religious and Political Guns: Apatheticism and Voter Apathy Party, every time.
US Marine.
One of NS's resident Korean-Americans.
Proud Anime, Blizzard, Bethesda and Bungie nerd.
Just because I listen to Soviet and North Korean patriotic music doesn't mean I'm a communist. It's not my fault that we capitalist dogs don't spend money on a decent choir.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Knootoss wrote:What about nations/troops that have a history of using false flag surrenders or false surrenders as a military ploy? Military doctrine must deal with such occasions.

This.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Knootoss wrote:What about nations/troops that have a history of using false flag surrenders or false surrenders as a military ploy? Military doctrine must deal with such occasions.

The proper action would be to assume good faith and react accordingly when there's enough contradictory evidence, acting with great caution throughout the situation. At least, that's the standard operating procedure in Glen-Rhodes. The proposal should definitely exclude perfidy.

- Dr. B. Castro

OOC: Relevant real-life customary humanitarian law on this issue. Unfortunately there's not much mention of what's allowed when you've discovered perfidy. I'm assuming the person just becomes a normal combatant, or that this sentence would apply:
The Lieber Code provides that “the common law of war allows even capital punishment for clandestine or treacherous attempts to injure an enemy, because they are so dangerous, and it is difficult to guard against them”.

Pollepao
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollepao » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 am

Pollepao is in favour of this resolution so far, but the delegate has qualms about the following passage:

4. FURTHER OBLIGES Member Nations to offer terms of surrender to opposing combatants if doing so can be accomplished safely.

We do not believe that a nation should be oglibged to offer surrend by any World Assembly resolution, but instead be able to choose if it should or should not do so out of its own free will.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

-Benjamin Franklin

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:43 am

Quite honestly, do we really require "The laymans Guide to Surrendering" as a WA proposal?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:41 am

"Opposed!" Marshal Enta barks

Coming to his feet he continues. "The decisions of the soldiers in the field are not now nor should they ever be the purview of this body."
The Marshal pauses for a moment to adjust his eye patch. "Ainocra is a military society, we accept our orders from the Supreme Marshal, not from this body."
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:48 am

Knootoss wrote:-How does this reduce military spending?

I suppose if a conflict were to end sooner / scale down due to surrender (either collective or individual) then one would not be spending quite as much to continue the conflict?

Deputy Ambassador Saunders
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:49 am

I have a bit of a general question that may or may not pertain to the legality of this. I'm not 100% sure on this, so just throwing it out there.

Under this, the World Assembly is demanding that should surrender be offered, the other side must take it. Now generally the acceptance of surrender is a command issued on the battlefield by the side being surrendered to.

Now considering that Rights and Duties forbids the World Assembly from commanding, or otherwise participating, in an armed conflict, would the aforementioned demand be considered a military order?
Last edited by Sanctaria on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 am

I believe it would.
Alcon Enta

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 am

Sanctaria wrote:Now considering that Rights and Duties forbids the World Assembly from commanding, or otherwise participating, in an armed conflict, would the aforementioned demand be considered a military order?

Er, no. No more than any other resolution dealing with the laws of war is or would be. :\

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Now considering that Rights and Duties forbids the World Assembly from commanding, or otherwise participating, in an armed conflict, would the aforementioned demand be considered a military order?

Er, no. No more than any other resolution dealing with the laws of war is or would be. :\

Well this proposal is telling nations that should an opposing arm surrender, you must order your army to accept it.

That sounds like getting involved with an armed conflict to me.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Er, no. No more than any other resolution dealing with the laws of war is or would be. :\

Well this proposal is telling nations that should an opposing arm surrender, you must order your army to accept it.

"We do already tell nations how to deal with enemy troops hwhose surrender they have accepted..."
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:15 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Well this proposal is telling nations that should an opposing arm surrender, you must order your army to accept it.

"We do already tell nations how to deal with enemy troops hwhose surrender they have accepted..."

This is true.

Like I said, it was just a general comment. Surrendering is a military action in wartime/armed conflict, I was just curious as to whether or not ordering the acceptance of a surrender constituted getting involved in it.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:18 am

Okay lets see what kind of looks we've gotten so far.

First we have one of these: :eyebrow: :

-What about nations/troops that have a history of using false flag surrenders or false surrenders as a military ploy? Military doctrine must deal with such occasions.

1. It reduces military spending the same way Warzone Codger's Medical Facilities Protection did. I rely on that proposal for the theory that avoiding the need to drop bombs, use munitions, and clean up afterwards satisfies the "reduce military spending" prong of Global Disarmament.

2. I'm also concerned about this, which is why I included clause 5. If that's not enough, I'm open to additional suggestions on how to safeguard nations from folks who are not really surrendering but just playing around. Perhaps including some "surrender must be genuine" language in the definition?

Next we have a :geek: :
Ossitania wrote:We will review the content of the proposal more thoroughly when you have put commas in those places where they have been inappropriately misplaced by full stops.

Then a :p :
Stalltopia wrote:Stalltopia is considering supporting this proposal. However, we would like to point out that this will never pass as is because many will simply vote no when they read that this proposes forced cuts in military spending.

Sanctaria wrote:You're totally right. A Global Disarmament proposal has never passed at vote.

Back on track with a :twisted: :
Kel-Elysia wrote:...

Aha...ahahaha...AHAHAHA!!!

Want to make the world a more peaceful place? Allow people to make war so mindbogglingly horrible, and maybe people will consider talking things out for once. If you make war a less costly, horrible and unpleasant affair, you're only inviting people to try to enjoy it.

Lemme get this straight. Your argument is that the only way to make war less horrible is to make it more horrible? Does your brain hurt after making that kind of statement? While we're at it, lets solve world hunger by starving people to death - fewer hungry people right?

Maybe you're right. International rules on warfare have never been very useful or effective, so I guess it's pointless to try. Then again, maybe you're crazy.

One of these :arrow: :
Auralia wrote:

This.

I already tried to address this concern in the Act with Clause 5. As I said in my response to Knootoss, I'm willing to consider additional language to make it clear that nations do not need to fall victim to a Trojan horse.

One of these :idea: :
Glen-Rhodes wrote:

The proper action would be to assume good faith and react accordingly when there's enough contradictory evidence, acting with great caution throughout the situation. At least, that's the standard operating procedure in Glen-Rhodes. The proposal should definitely exclude perfidy.

I tried to address the threat of false surrender in Clause 5, and I'm open to additional suggestions to strengthen it up.

On to one of these :unsure: :
Pollepao wrote:Pollepao is in favour of this resolution so far, but the delegate has qualms about the following passage:

We do not believe that a nation should be oglibged to offer surrend by any World Assembly resolution, but instead be able to choose if it should or should not do so out of its own free will.

I obliged nations to offer terms of surrender because I'm convinced there's always a less costly alternative to fighting. Nations could still decide what terms they want to offer, and they would not be obliged to offer terms if they could not do so safely. That said, I'm willing to soften the language in relevant ways if others agree that this provision goes too far. Frankly, this is the provision I expect to be the most contentious in the long run, so I'm sure it'll be modified before this thing ever gets close to submission.

Another :roll: :
Grays Harbor wrote:Quite honestly, do we really require "The laymans Guide to Surrendering" as a WA proposal?

Not quite sure whether this is a criticism of the whole Act or just the definition of "surrender" I included. Assuming the former, the Act adds a substantial component to the WA law of war. We have a few resolutions describing the effects of being a "surrendered" combatant, but no clear direction on when or how one becomes a surrendered combatant. This proposal not only lends some clarity to that, but also prescribes wartime conduct in relevant and beneficial ways.

In my opinion, simple rules for international conduct during times of conflict is exactly what international governing bodies should spend most of their time on.

We got one :mad: :
Ainocra wrote:"Opposed!" Marshal Enta barks

Coming to his feet he continues. "The decisions of the soldiers in the field are not now nor should they ever be the purview of this body."
The Marshal pauses for a moment to adjust his eye patch. "Ainocra is a military society, we accept our orders from the Supreme Marshal, not from this body."

I got nothing. This is one of those issues where the military Star Empire of Ainocra and the Please Don't Attack Us of Cowardly Pacifists are just on irreconcilably opposite sides. I do feel that restricting wartime conduct in relevant ways is a legitimate and appropriate use of international power. I'd be more that willing to consider Ainocran concerns and incorporate Ainocran principles into the draft, but I don't accept "hands off" criticism - at least not in this field.

Another :idea: :
Paper Flowers wrote:

I suppose if a conflict were to end sooner / scale down due to surrender (either collective or individual) then one would not be spending quite as much to continue the conflict?

This is exactly the argument I believe justifies putting this proposal in the Global Disarmament category.

Finally, a question (ran out of smilies):
Sanctaria wrote:I have a bit of a general question that may or may not pertain to the legality of this. I'm not 100% sure on this, so just throwing it out there.

Under this, the World Assembly is demanding that should surrender be offered, the other side must take it. Now generally the acceptance of surrender is a command issued on the battlefield by the side being surrendered to.

Now considering that Rights and Duties forbids the World Assembly from commanding, or otherwise participating, in an armed conflict, would the aforementioned demand be considered a military order?

Ainocra wrote:I believe it would.

My interpretation of Rights and Duties is that direct WA involvement in particular military struggles is right out, but prescribing wartime conduct in certain ways that does not involve the WA getting its hands dirty is permissible. After all, we've got resolutions on what nations can do with prisoners of war, and rules requiring nations to take action against those perpetrating genocide and to refrain from it themselves. We once had a resolution telling nations that they could not possess or use biological weapons in war (though it was lawfully repealed). We even had a resolution that explicitly told nations they couldn't go to war or conduct military actions in certain other nations (also lawfully repealed).

We also have several resolutions currently on the books that directly tell nations what they can, cannot, and must do in military conflicts. Medical Facilities Protection "PROHIBITS the deliberate targeting of medical facilities," the Convention On Wartime Deceased "PROHIBITS the needless dismembering of deceased combatants on the field of battle," Protect War Correspondents prohibits militants "from interacting with war correspondents with the intent of stymieing their actions," and Medical Provisions in Blockade "PROHIBITS the blocking of any transport that is conveying medical supplies" (and even goes so far as to send a WA agency into blockaded nations to assure the safe transportation of medical supplies and professional medical personnel).

In short, I think there's plenty of WA precedent for what I'm trying to do with this Act. The WA has - from time to time - put certain rules in place regarding wartime conduct. This proposal is simply another in that line. So long as the WA does not get involved in particular military struggles "under a WA banner," passing legislation on wartime conduct is and has been perfectly permissible.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:24 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:My interpretation of Rights and Duties is that direct WA involvement in particular military struggles is right out, but prescribing wartime conduct in certain ways that does not involve the WA getting its hands dirty is permissible. After all, we've got resolutions on what nations can do with prisoners of war, and rules requiring nations to take action against those perpetrating genocide and to refrain from it themselves. We once had a resolution telling nations that they could not possess or use biological weapons in war (though it was lawfully repealed). We even had a resolution that explicitly told nations they couldn't go to war or conduct military actions in certain other nations (also lawfully repealed).

We also have several resolutions currently on the books that directly tell nations what they can, cannot, and must do in military conflicts. Medical Facilities Protection "PROHIBITS the deliberate targeting of medical facilities," the Convention On Wartime Deceased "PROHIBITS the needless dismembering of deceased combatants on the field of battle," Protect War Correspondents prohibits militants "from interacting with war correspondents with the intent of stymieing their actions," and Medical Provisions in Blockade "PROHIBITS the blocking of any transport that is conveying medical supplies" (and even goes so far as to send a WA agency into blockaded nations to assure the safe transportation of medical supplies and professional medical personnel).

In short, I think there's plenty of WA precedent for what I'm trying to do with this Act. The WA has - from time to time - put certain rules in place regarding wartime conduct. This proposal is simply another in that line. So long as the WA does not get involved in particular military struggles "under a WA banner," passing legislation on wartime conduct is and has been perfectly permissible.[/spoiler]

That's fair enough. I've always considered the question of surrendering to be a part of military strategy, as it were; a move on a chessboard, if you will. Whether or not you accepted the surrender or on what conditions would be part of the battle itself.

Like I said, it wasn't a serious legality question, it was more of a musing than an accusation.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:28 am

Sanctaria wrote:That's fair enough. I've always considered the question of surrendering to be a part of military strategy, as it were; a move on a chessboard, if you will. Whether or not you accepted the surrender or on what conditions would be part of the battle itself.

Like I said, it wasn't a serious legality question, it was more of a musing than an accusation.

I thought it was a legitimate question. There's certainly a line out there between permissible WA legislation on warfare and breaking Article 10 of Rights and Duties. It's good to make sure we're not crossing it.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 am

It is extremely certain that a member country will only accept a surrender if the country that offers to will cease all hostilities.

I suggest this clause:
All participants of the conflict will immediately end hostilities between them, once an unconditional surrender is in effect.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I got nothing. This is one of those issues where the military Star Empire of Ainocra and the Please Don't Attack Us of Cowardly Pacifists are just on irreconcilably opposite sides. I do feel that restricting wartime conduct in relevant ways is a legitimate and appropriate use of international power. I'd be more that willing to consider Ainocran concerns and incorporate Ainocran principles into the draft, but I don't accept "hands off" criticism - at least not in this field.

Unfortunately Hands off is all you will receive.

Our military by law and oath takes orders from the Supreme Marshal, any outside attempt to interfere in our chain of command would be seen as an act of war.

In the interest of peace Ambassador I implore you to drop this foolishness.
Alcon Enta

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:It is extremely certain that a member country will only accept a surrender if the country that offers to will cease all hostilities.

I suggest this clause:
All participants of the conflict will immediately end hostilities between them, once an unconditional surrender is in effect.

Good point. I'll work some kind of end of hostilities mandate into the next draft.

Ainocra wrote:Unfortunately Hands off is all you will receive.

Our military by law and oath takes orders from the Supreme Marshal, any outside attempt to interfere in our chain of command would be seen as an act of war.

In the interest of peace Ambassador I implore you to drop this foolishness.

My nation might be full of cowardly pacifists, but we still don't respond well to threats.

Ainocra is already bound by numerous WA restrictions on what they can and cannot do in war. No matter how bad the Supreme Marshal might want to bomb a hospital or place a bunch of landmines around his backyard, WA law "interferes" quite intrusively with his ability to give those orders.

But I get it: Ainocra probably declared war against Warzone Codger and Quintessence of Dust for proposing those resolutions just as they're threatening to do over this one. If that's Ainocra's stance then that's just less work for me - one less ambassador to try to accommodate.

Best Regards.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Okay, new draft up. I played with the language a bit to address the "what if they're lying" concerns, added an "effect of surrender" clause per Charlotte Ryberg, and tweaked certain aspects of the proposal to make it more acceptable to everyone (I hope). Feedback is appreciated.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly