NATION

PASSWORD

VI Winter Olympic Games - RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cabric
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabric » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 pm

TH: "Welcome to Cabric Television's Olympic Recap, I'm Teresa Hanna and i'm joined by David Cobb. After last night's wonderful Opening Ceremony, the athletes began their quests to earn medals in earnest. Up first, Figure Skating – Men's Individual – Short Program. Cabric's best chance for a medal in this event is Brian Tovokufsi. He earned a 70.46 and qualified for the long program! DAvid, break down his performance for us."

DC: "Brian did well here at the start, completing the double-triple; but with most of the other skaters landing quads Brian will have to land at least one in his free skate to medal. He did attempt a quad in the short program, but just missed the landing. He was lucky that the rest of his routine was impressive enough to finish in the top 30."

TH: "The other 2 men who competed in the short program today were David Eurasmus and Uriah Cavell; both men didn't qualify after muliple falls. We do wish them the best as they are saying in Krytenia to cheer on the other skaters."

DC: "Men's Luge started today with the first two of 4 runs. After the 2nd run, Thomas Neuman sits in 7th place with a combined time of 1:43.405, just .324 seconds out of the top spot. Neuman ran both of his runs rather late in each session, and will do so again tommorrow. With a bit of luck Neuman could medal. As for the other 2 Lugers, Robert Stevens and Issac Stith; niether man had a good run, though Stith (79th overall) did postthe first sub 53 second run of his carrer today. Stevens (89th overall) and Stith at best can help Neuman through the track's idiosynchracies tommorrow."

TH: "That's all from Ashton, Krytenia today. Tommorrow we'll have live coverage of Thomas Neuman's luge runs, as well as Women's Hockey and curling. Until then, for David Cobb, i'm Theresa Hanna; good night Cabric."

Emperor Cabric turned off the TV and called for his minister of media. After waitng for a few minutes, the minister entered the Emperor's chambers.

"I want more coverage of Women's figure skating. Show the practices, etc." The Emperor demanded.

"Sir, we're only allowed to show up to 6 hours of coverage from Krytenia, it was part of the agreement we signed with their media productions. And we have little choice, otehr than coverage of our athletes as to show." the minister stammered out.

"Any chance that personally I can get a DVD of the practices?" the Emperor asked.

"Yes, sir, but why would you need a DVD of women's figure skating practice?' the minister humbly asked.

"I don't have to explain myself to you, Minister. Just get me the DVD, soon." With tht the Emperor waved the minister out of his chamber.

<Over in Asthon, Krytenia:>
"Good job today Brian, you made it to the free skate!" Pandir Qadiche said as she hugged Brian Tovokufsi minutes after his scores were posted.

He hugged her back, and said "Yeah, but dammit i fucked up on the quad. I'm lucky they didn't penalise me further."

"So, you made it. That means you'll have a chance for a medal!" she bubbily replied. "At least your stomach's butterflies are probably gone now."

"Yeah right. They're the size of hawks now." Brian chuckled. "So have a good day of practice today?"

"Yeah, I got the triple-doubles down and the double-triples; but I'm just missing the triple Lutz-double Axel combos at the end of my routine." Pandir replied.

"Well tommorrow's an off day for both of us. I can help you, if you want." Brian replied. "Or we could just hump like rabbits back in the village."

"Well, why can't we do both?" she replied with a smirk. "After all, it's not every day that my boyfriend and I are at the Olympics."

With that they left the skating venue arm-in-arm and stealing a kiss that the cameras just happened to catch...
Last edited by Cabric on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please attempt NOT to spell my name: CARBIC, CARBON, CRABIC or CARBRICK; and I will attempt to spell your name correctly. Wikipage

Spitfyred1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spitfyred1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:05 pm

The Spitfyred1 Mens Skeletons has been practicing horribly. Stu Pide, Cra Zee, and Cras Shhh are all in the running for the gold medal. Sadly, there only experience with skeleton has been on the Wii. The men have crashed every practice run, and are bruised all over. They still like the recognition of being a national team member. They get free food, and don't have to work. While training, they have seen worldwide sports superstars, and managed to secure some autographs. The main goal of the team is to not finish last. They recently gave an interview.

S1TV- So guys, why did you try skeleton.
SP- Well duh, bones is cool. I like pirates and want to be a skeleton.
CZ- Well the adrenaline is radical dude. I can go ninja quick and like get some sweet air when I crash.
CS - Ouch! Ooof! Yeaoww! It burns!!!!

S1TV- Do you think your families are watching you.
SP - Uh whaat? They aren't here *looks around* They like me. My wife is nice. L for love baby.
CZ- Yeah man. They are like huge fans. My wife is like a pro-biker-model. We get wasted to this stuff. *smokes* Ahhhh.
CS- Ow! Oh lord! oof! &@#$!

Mantwenic
Envoy

Founded: May 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mantwenic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Virabia wrote:From VOHC President John Hendrix:
To: Whom it Concerns

I'd just like to take a quick moment to express my support of the actions the Mantwenic Delegation took at the opening ceremony. We think it's brave what they did and we like to see others follow in our footsteps of protesting the taxes. I'd also like to open up the invitation for them to talk with us. So we could perhaps give them a few pointers on opposing the taxes, something we have experience in.

Dear Mr. Hendrix,

Thank you for your support, Timothy Jackson's actions in the opening ceremony, though a bit harsh,were much needed. As far as the chat, I wold be pleased to talk with you about protesting the intolerable taxes of Cafundeu.

Thanks again,

Patrick Harding, President of Mantwenic Winter Olympic Operations

Day 2 Update

Alpine Skiing Men's Giant Slalom
Timothy Jackson Total: 2:52.83
Liam Larsen DNF
Michael Harris DNF
Nathaniel Ackerman DNF
Men's Figure Skating - Individual Short Program
Joshua Harrison 65.70
Peter Grammer 53.22
Nathan Baker 43.59
Ice Hockey - Mens
Mantwenic 6
Izarius 2
Luge Men's Individual Runs 1 and 2
Christian Frasier Total: 1:43.559
Martin DeGado Total: 1:45.120
Jacob Smith Total 1:45.514
Last edited by Mantwenic on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mantwenic National Anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOumHihLQSU

Member of Olympic Council
Accomplishments:
Qualified for WC 54
Qualified for WC 55

Mantwenic Broadcasting Service website: http://mbsnews24-7.blogspot.com/

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm

"Welcome to Shofercia's Olympic Headquarters, bringing you Olympic News 24/7. After the first day of performance, Shofercia's was ok. Ski Voinova delivered the first silver medal for Team Shofercia in the Olympic Games, losing out for the gold by only .02 seconds. We still love you Ski - you rock girl! In the two other sports, Team Shofercia was without medals, and Shofercians qualified in a few others. We now go directly to the specific channels, responsible for their sports, bringing you more specific details."

"Welcome to the Alpine Skiing Channel! As you may have just heard - Ski Voinova won the Silver Medal! Nicely done Ski. We go to the footage of that victory!"

Ski took a deep breath, and put her goggles on. This was her first event at the Olympics. Her equipment fit perfectly. Yet she was nervous. It was hard to battle the nerves, yet Ski is a strong girl. She did it. And she was off. The snow was passing her by at what seemed like the speed of light. She loved the thrill of the win, of going downhill so fast, but there was no time to enjoy it. She had to focus. To keep her balance. To make sharp turns. She was running practically on automatic. Her mind just focusing on the necessary speeds, balance, control, snow terrain, adjusting to avoid errors. The human brain is truly amazing, but Ski wasn't thinking about that, she was just concentrating on the speed. A bump! Over a billion Shofercians watching the Olympics held their breath. Ski managed it perfectly, using it to regain her speed. Faster, faster, faster - towards the finish line. It is visible. Ski finishes! She looks at the clock:

VICTORY IS SWEET! She just beat out Ribey by .06 of a second, and was first.

"Although she would later get silver - Ski did an amazing job. Ski's partner, Alexandra Shashluyk took 43rd, while the male skiiers didn't finish."

"Welcome to the Cross-country channel. In today's qualifiers - Lauren Tyler qualified, while Jamie Chernuysheva did not. Lauren then finished at the top of her group - thus making it to the semi-finals. Good luck in the Semis Lauren - we know you can do it!"

"Welcome to the Ice Skating Channel. In terms of the men's skating program, Alexei MeGood, Roman Casey and Bashar Kasey all had spectacular falls. Guys this is figure skating, not figure falling! MeGood and Petrova also failed to qualify for the pairs' skating. Alexei needs to get it together - as his performance is unimpressive thus far.

On the other hand, Costy/Newbie qualified, and are currently fifth after the short program. Hopefully they can win!

"Welcome to the Ice Hockey Channel. Although Shofercia did not play today, both of Shofercia's key rivals, Mantwenic and Civil Citizenry won their games. The group looks to be a great three way contest. We firmly believe that Team Shofercia can knock one of them out and move on!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:04 pm

In the Alpine Skiing thread, Dolores Ribey already has given, and Jim Cross-Mann has already received, advice on who is allowed to talk and when.

These trends are continuing.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm

The Cosumarite Courier
Cosumar's #1 Sports News Source

Mediocre showing for Cosumar on Day 1 in Ashton!

ASHTON, KRYTENIA - For the first time in history, The Vast Realm of Cosumar has sent a delegation to the Winter Olympics. This year's events are being held in beautiful Ashton, Krytenia. Cosumar has sent a sizable number of athletes, hoping to expand upon their success in the recent Summer Olympics at Outineau - in which Cosumar was a gold medalist. The opening ceremony was a proud moment for Cosumar, as Glorious and Majestic was played and the national flag was waved for thousands to see by Cosumar's flag bearer - snowboarder Eli Buckles. The ceremony, which took place at the Rutian Grounds was a marvelous show and culminated with the lighting of the cauldron by the well-known former Krytenian hockey player Percy Matthews.

While the Opening Ceremony was amazing, Cosumar's performance yesterday on Day 1 was a bit less than amazing, although there were some great moments. The first event with Cosumarite representation was Cross-Country Skiing: Women's Individual Sprint. Two of Cosumar's three entrants in this event advanced past the qualifying stage. Skye Myrtile was impressive, easily qualifying by finishing in the top 10. Denise Aplington also qualified, but was more in the middle of the pack. Kelly Pearl disappointed, missing qualifying by over 3 seconds after she stumbled at the beginning of the race. In the qaurterfinals, Myrtile had another amazing time (2:15:7) which sends her to the semi-finals. Denise Aplington failed to advance past quarterfinals. Skye Myrtile was the most successful Cosumarite of Day 1 and she will go for the gold in the event tonight along with 11 other women who have made it this far.

"I'm been working my butt off for this for years and to finally have it pay off is incredible. I'm in semi-finals but I don't intend to stop there. I want to bring Cosumar's its first Winter Olympics gold medal!" said Myrtile.

In most of the other events Day 1 had to offer, Cosumar was far less successful. Neither of Cosumar's two entries in Pairs Figue Skating were able to even qualify. Taylor Bennett and Camelia Gabbett, who had been expected to contend for a medal in the event lost all hope of advancing when Taylor Bennett dropped Camelia Gabbett at the end of the performance and also failed his vital spin move at the beginning.

Despite the sport of hockey's popularity in Cosumar, the hockey team was just about as successful as the figure skating teams. The Cosumarite squad got demolished 3-0 in their first game against Albertasby, although not without good reason. Many of the team's key players, including Zakk Klyde and Thomas Hair are still in Qazox for the World Cup of Hockey. The Olympic team was forced to start reserve players at many positions. Albertasby's star wingman Mark Gray tore the Cosumar defense up, scoring all 3 goals for a hat trick.

Cosumar's WCoH team is expected to be eliminated tonight and should be able to arrive in Ashton for Day 3 of the Olympics. Also in Cosumar's group 2 is Babbage Islands, hosts Krytenia, Albertasby, and Iglesian Archipelago. This is a ridiculously challenging group, so don't expect Cosumar to win much even after the majority of the team arrives.

"We are missing almost are entire 1st and 2nd line at this point, so we have been forced to start our reserves. We want our team-mates to be successful at the World Cup of Hockey, but by the same token, we need them here as well. Until then, we'll just keep doing our best and hope it's enough" said

In the men's Individual Luge, Bruce Altimirano of Cosumar was able to achieve a decent time on Runs 1 and 3, finishing in the top third of competitors and only 1.3 seconds behind the 1st place finisher, Andrew Jones of Sorthern Northland. Darren Jones and Horace Davenport of Cosumar were less than stellar, however, finishing in the bottom third competitors. The Women's Team Large Hill Ski Jumping team followed suit, finishing last out of 23 with a humiliating score of 247.5. The Bergnovianaian squad won the gold in this event.

In the final event of Day 1, Cosumar was finally able to find some success reminiscent of Skye Myrtile's at the beginning of the day. Flag-bearer and snowboarder Eli Buckles as well as Nathan Rogers and Benjamin Presidad competed in the Men's Parallel Giant Slalom. Of the three only Buckles and Rogers advanced past qualifying and only Buckles advanced past Round of 64 and into the knockout rounds: which will be held tonight. Buckles was impressive, easily advancing past the first two rounds in the top 10 each time. Buckles, similar to Myrtile, will be in a good position to bring Cosumar a medal.

"This has just been the greatest week ever for me man. Being the flag-bearer for Cosumar was such a huge honor and I feel like I've really done well so far in the Giant Slalom. I really want a medal and I intend to get one, for the glory of the Vast Realm" said Buckles.

Although there haven't been many medals handed out so far, a few nations have already won one, getting a head start on the rest of the world. Ad'ihan, Bergnovinaia, and Sorthern Northland hold the top 3 spots, each with 1 gold medal.

For Cosumar, Day 2 consists of events in Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Cross-Country Skiing, Figure Skating, Hockey, Luge, Ski Jumping, and Snowboarding. It will be an exciting day of games, don't miss it! But if you do, you can read all about it tomorrow's edition of The Cosumarite Courier.

Thanks for reading,

Robert Mikhaels
Staff Writer

Photo of the Day: Cosuamrite cross-country skiier Skye Myrtile was impressive in day 1 at Ashton, advancing to the semifinals of the Women's individual Sprint.
Last edited by Cosumar on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Alrighty peeps, this is your Day Two cutoff.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Spitfyred1
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Spitfyred1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Slo Bloke is training hard for his upcoming race. The pressure of being the first athlete from his nation to compete is getting to his head.
"I...I...I am deathy afraid that I will screw up. I... I... I just don't want to crash. The... The... The training has been rigourous up til now and I want to make a good impression. I... I... I love you mom"
The man will be participating in the 15km Freestyle tommorow. To all the fans out there, wish him luck!
Last edited by Spitfyred1 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:42 pm

OOC: Due to time constraints, I am unable to complete the Day 2 schedule this evening. The remaining events in today's schedule will be scorinated tomorrow evening in lieu of the scheduled Day 3 events, with RP counted from the Day 2 cutoff. Day 3 will be scorinated on Tuesday night, with Day 4 being scorinated Wednesday afternoon. Because of these changes, RPs between now and the Day 4 cutoff will count double in way of apology.

This includes the RP posted above.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Virabia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Virabia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Economic Left/Right: -9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.00
OCCUPY ALL STREETS, EVERYWHERE (Occupy Ithaca)

I have made the following progression in my beliefs
American Liberal -> Social Democrat -> Right Libertarian -> Democratic Socialist -> Trotskyist -> Eco-Socialist -> Eco-Communist -> Cooperativist

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Bergnovinaian Sports News

"Your best online source for the latest sports news"

Bergnovinaian Olympic Preview and the First Days in Ashton

February 13th, 2011

Ashton, Krytenia--The first days of competition have begun in the games of the VI Olympiad and already, Bergnovinaian Olympiads have performed better than the last winter Olympics. In the previous winter Olympics in Kelssek, Bergnovinaia took home a singles medal, a bronze in men's figure skating. However, some major changes have been mading to the Olympic training program by the Bergnovinaian Olympic Delegation Committee and this year, several new, world-class teams are ready to perform in competition, and many are believed to bring Bergnovinaia home many medals.

Here are some of the major changes the Olympic Committee made in selecting athletes to compete at this Olympics:

--In men's and women's curling and ice hockey, tryouts were held in which only the best athletes from Bergnovinaia in each sport were chosen to be on the team. (At the previous Olympics, there was no organization to how players were selected since Bergnovinaia's Olympic committee had only been recently formed.)
--In figure skating, national competitions were held to select the best ice skaters from Bergnovinaia... the best competitors who show good composure, good trick consistancy, and of course, good scoring records.
--Bergnovinaia is sending a group of competitors to the ski-jumping competition that is professionally trained by former pro-ski jumper, Micheal Hass. (At the previous Olympics, any competitor was welcomed to represent Bergnovinaia at this competition, and several severe wipeouts occured.) Initally, upwards of 3,000 people signed up to train with Hass and hopefully go for gold in Ashton, but out of 3,000, only 12 were chosen, 6 men and 6 women.

Already, the Olympic Committee's rigourous standards for applications for competing in the Olmypics have paid off with a gold medal performance in Ski Jumping – Women's Team Large Hill, with the team of C Shearin/M Benbow/M Desousa/G Westerlund taking gold at competition in the second half of day one. Although the team was initally in second place after the qualifying round, trailing the team for Kelssek by several points, two consistant and high point-earning performances allowed the Bergnovinaian team to surpass Kelssek and earn a gold medal. The gold medal is Bergnovinaia's first ever at a winter Olympic games, and Hass is getting the praise of the Olympic delegation which released a statement calling Hass an "excellent trainer" that ran "one of the hardest ski jumping training facilities in the world" that "surely allowed the women's team to win their competition in day one." Additional medals are expected in this field of competion for Bergnovinaia, and the delegation, and Hass, are looking for gold--no less.

Bergnovinaia is currently tied for second place in the medal count, but this is sure to change as the steep competition continues in Ashton.

*A side note for all readers... due to extremely horrendous weather in Ashton following day two, the events of day three have been postponed to day four in order to allow for the storm to clear out of the area. The Krytenian delegation has not yet issued a formal apology for any viewing inconveniance, but we know that they are deeply sorry about the storm and, of course, can't do anything to change it. Bergnovinaian coverage of the Olympics will continue in a few days, when the events start up again.*
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:26 pm

ROBINSON TAKES DOWNHILL GOLD AS LACROIX FALTERS
by: Michél Tombère
Monday, 14 February 2011

That Jean-Luc Lacroix would be the top Kelssekian skier at the Olympic downhill in Ashton would not be out of the ordinary, but that he was tied for 32nd place certainly would be disappointing. Virabia's Mark Robinson took the gold instead, edging out Qazox's Mark Massey.

Having drawn a bib number placing him near the end of the session, Lacroix came out of the game with the snow warming up and softening, and knowing the time he had to beat. The pressure perhaps seemed to affect his skiing.

"Well, maybe it was pressure and trying to beat Mark [Robinson]. He had a very good run. I think I was pushing too hard, and trying too hard, and being too stiff and not letting the skis do the work. For the downhill, it's very important to let your skis run and not over-control and over-turn. At least, my coach told me that. Now I must focus on my other events and then back to trying to win the World Cup."

Despite being leading the overall men's individual World Cup standings, Lacroix has yet to win a downhill race all season with his best placing being seventh in Asanthul. With even stiffer competition at the Olympics, medal expectations were perhaps always inflated. Consistency will be the key to a successful season, however, and he is still confident he can do well in the super G and the super combined, two disciplines the Saint-Rémy native is also tipped to do well in.

"It is just one race and one run, a lot of things can happen. I was going for the gold, I was not going to hold back, and so it didn't go as well as I hoped but that's life. My focus now is on what's coming next."

AS for his less famous teammates, Shane Tanksley was not far behind in 35th, with the Olympic rookie showing some good promise. Andy O'Sullivan was 66th and Josh Hanes 83rd, doing well to recover from a couple of poor jumps.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Day Two has begun, and Qazox has earned their first medal at these games:

Alpine Skiing:
Men's Downhill:
    Mark Massey: 1:39.18 SILVER MEDAL
    Chris Davis: 1:40.82 (t32nd)
    Oliver Clothesov: 1:41.32 (63rd)
    Thomas Jensen: DNF
It took sweating out 18 other skiiers, but Mark Massey took home Silver in the men's downhill. Mark Robinson of Virabia edged out Massey by 3/100ths of a second to take home the gold. Thomas Jensen had a horrific looking crash early in the day; but the QOC doctors have cleared him to finish his skiing efforts, as he came away with just a sprained elbow and a bruised rib.

More events are scheduled for this afternoon and evening, we will of course update you once those results come in.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Vulshain Comes Close and is Still Going Strong

While Vulshain has yet to earn any medals, it has come very close in several events. Day 1 of the VI Winter Olympics saw Viviane Modeste placed third in the Qualification rounds of the Women's Individual Sprint portion of the Cross-Country Skiing event. However, she and Floretta Frieda, who had barely qualified, were knocked out of the Quarterfinals. "This was my first time competing with people with other countries before, and while I would have liked to have succeeded in the Quarterfinals, I had a lot of fun doing what I loved: skiing!" This was what Viviane told VCNMN when asked after losing in the Quarterfinals.

Day 2 saw Vulshain come close in the Alpine Skiing Men's Downhill event where Faddei Varnava missed getting the bronze medal by a mere 50 seconds. "I nearly lost my balance a fourth away to the end, and struggling to keep from falling cost me those 50 seconds," a disappointed Faddei. "Maybe next year, I'll get a bronze medal." When asked why not a silver or even a gold, he laughed and answered, "I would love to win the gold, but I'm a modest and humble guy here now. I'm no bragging fool!"

Kathon Demyain qualified in the Men's Giant Parallel Slalom Snowboarding event. "Yahoo!" This was all Kathon had to say as he added, "Mom and Dad! Look, your son's at the Olympics!"

Figure Skaters Win Love

However, the biggest shock was that Vulshain is falling behind in Figure Skating, an event that many assumed the nation would excel in. "I don't know what we did wrong," Ehjy Kopeniac said. He and Ankya Agnina competed in the Free Skating portion of the Figure Skating event, earning 12th place. "Well, it wasn't a total lost," he told Ankya. When asked why, he got down on one knee and proposed to her.

Ehjy Kopeniac's marriage propsal was viewed live not only in Vulshain, but around the world, as Ankya joyfully said, "YES!" It seems that even if the two of them failed to earn a medal, they did win something even greater than a gold medal: love.

This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN's Vulshainian Olympic News.
Last edited by Vulshain on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virabia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Virabia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:07 pm

((OOC: Will replace with an RP later. No longer canon))
Last edited by Virabia on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.00
OCCUPY ALL STREETS, EVERYWHERE (Occupy Ithaca)

I have made the following progression in my beliefs
American Liberal -> Social Democrat -> Right Libertarian -> Democratic Socialist -> Trotskyist -> Eco-Socialist -> Eco-Communist -> Cooperativist

Phillippanoa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phillippanoa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:13 am

Phillippanoa Sport Courier

Report of first day

Our first ever winter olympics are going surprisingly well for the Phillippanoan athletes. Though no medals have yet been won by our brave countrymen and -women, the Phillippanoan hockey has won its first match against Kelssek and several athletes were qualified in the first round, though Dina Eckbo then missed qualifying for the next round by 0:00.3 in the quarterfinals, second round, of cross-country skiing. So far all the other skiiers have missed out on medals, though Liv Skari came in 9th in Women's Super G and Maria and Grigor Melova made 7th in figure skating.

Skaldr Reggarson, director of Olympic Federation on the subject: "I am pleased with the results so far, though no medals have yet been won; I think that our athletes have a good chance of surpassing our greatest expectations. With the win in hockey and the qualifcation in cross-country skiing, the extra funding for winter sports these last two years seems to have paid off. With our best yet to compete, we can hope for at least a medal or two. To our athletes I say: congratulations and good luck for the rest of the games."

The results of the first day:

Men's Giant Slalom:

Georgios Akidis: 29th with a total time of 2:47.24
Anton Costa: 41st with a total time of 2:56.22
Tom Kjus: 75th with a time of 1:46.60 in the first run and DNF for the second

Women's Super G:

Liv Skari: 9th with a total time of 1:31.15
Penelope Hilas: 66th with a total time of 1:35.43
Rita Christou: 80th with a total time of 1:37.50
Marina Kazan: 83rd with a total time of 1:38.09

Women's individual sprint - cross-country skiing:

Dina Eckbo: 23rd with a total time of 2:18.83, qualifying for the next round, quarter finals where she timed 2:17.2 finishing 3rd in her group.

Men's figure skating - short program:

Grigor Melova: 77th with a score of 56.32, failing to qualify for next round
Ivan Melova: 82nd with a score of 54.49

Figure skating pairs - short program:

Grigor Melova/Maria Melova: 7th with a score of 66.50, qualifying for next round

Men's Ice Hockey:

Group B
Kelssek 0 - 6 Phillippanoa

Men's Luge:

Anaxithenes Pera: 51st with a total time of 1:45.116

For complete results of the games, please see our website.

Report of second day

After the rather promising, but medal-free first day, the Phillippanoan athletes have surpassed even the most optimistic expectations by being awarded 2 medals: a gold medal in figure skating pairs (Maria and Grigor Melova) and a bronze medal in men's downhill alpine skiing (Roald Evensen). After hearing the news, the director of the Phillippanoan Olympic Federation boarded the next plane for Ashton. These medals place our country at the top of the medal table with all the competing teams scoring at most one medal. Though the director of the POF is unavailable for comment, the vice-director was able to say that though the Phillippanoan athletes were on top now, he did not expect that to last very long, but even so, the director was extremely pleased with the result. After reaching 7th place in the qualifying round, and with Grigor reaching only 77th place in singles, no one really expected Maria and Grigor Melova to win the gold medal. Roald Evensen was, however nearly sure to make it to the top ten in downhill, he was after all five time gold medalist of the Continental Winter Games and and seven time gold medalist of the Winter Cup in alpine skiing, slalom and snowboarding. As "captain" of the Phillippanoan delegation, Evensen was asked to tell us his expectations for the following days:

"I do not think that people should get their expectations up too high, these two medals were from our best athletes, if I may say so. We might win another medal or two, but I doubt that we will make it to the top of the medal table at the end of the Olympics. But regardless, we have won two medals at our very first olympics and we have had some good results in the other disciplines. I would be very happy if we did better but to me have already surpassed ourselves, no one expected us to do so well."

the results of the second day

Men's downhill alpine skiing:

Roald Evensen: 3rd place with a time of 1:39.46 winning a bronze medal
Leif Githmark: 53rd place with a time of 1:41.15
Ieroklis Serandis: 81st place with a time of 1:41.90
Nikos Pyrgos: 111st place with a time of 1:45.54

Men's biathlon - 10 km sprint:

Bjorn Linneus: 33rd with a time of 28:46.9

For complete results of the games, please see our website.

Medals Table

TLD  TEAM                    G   S   B   T
PHP Phillippanoa 1 0 1 2
ADN Ad'ihan 1 0 0 1
BER Bergnovinaia 1 0 0 1
COM Capitalizt SLANI 1 0 0 1
QOD Quintessence of Dust 1 0 0 1
SNO Sorthern Northland 1 0 0 1
VRB Virabia 1 0 0 1
AKB Akbarabad 0 1 0 1
CRG Carasatoga 0 1 0 1
IZA Izarius 0 1 0 1
JSY Jasiyun 0 1 0 1
KPZ Kagdazka & Pazhujebu 0 1 0 1
QZX Qazox 0 1 0 1
SHF Shofercia 0 1 0 1
BRS Bears Armed 0 0 1 1
COS Cosumar 0 0 1 1
DAS Dorian and Sonya 0 0 1 1
KSK Kelssek 0 0 1 1
MAI Maineiacs 0 0 1 1
ZWZ Zwangzug 0 0 1 1
Last edited by Phillippanoa on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 am

"Damn! Third penalty lap!" Manny Timmerman tried to regain focus. This race was not going well. He was falling into the same old trap. Make one mistake, it throws off your rhythm, and you never regain it. He knew there was no way his time would be anywhere near medal contention, and his personal best had slipped away, too. "What is it they always say?" he thought. "'It's a priviledge just to compete'? Maybe, but it would have been a bigger priviledge to be up on the podium." Almost done now. Just one more target to shoot at. He fired. Hit! A second hit. Three! Four! He lined up his fifth and final shot. "DAMN IT!" he thought as the ammo nicked the edge of the target without knocking it out. Wearily, he got up to take his fourth penalty lap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry Harper was too relieved to have made it to the bottom of the hill to look at the time board at first. He knew there had been mistakes in his run; he took too much air in the last jump, his feet tried more than once to slide out from under him, causing him to take several turn too widely, This wasn't his best run, not by a long shot, but right now he didn't care. His leg held out, and he finished the race that had almost cost him that leg. For now, that was vindication enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From MSPN--

Day 2 here at the Ashton Olympics are in the books, and Maineiacs athletes faced disappointment once again. Here is a look at the day's results.

ALPINE SKIING

Toby Miller failed to get his second medal of these games, finishing 21st in the Men's Downhill. Harry Harper was 71st in another Alpine event that featured a very crowded field.

BIATHLON

Manny Timmerman incurred several penalties, coming in 71st in the Men's 10k Sprint.

CURLING

Our Women's Curling team won their first match today, easily defating Arridia 10-5.

Stay tuned to MSPN for all your Olympic coverage.
Last edited by Maineiacs on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Adihan
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Adihan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:42 am

Uproar as Liventian-born golden boy Plane fails to sing anthem at ceremony

Ashton, KRYTENIA and CITY OF AD'IHAN-- An uproar has broken out in Ad'ihan after the Liventian-born naturalised alpine skiing star Andy Plane, who took a shock gold in the opening event of the Olympics, failed to sing the Ode to Peace, Ad'ihan's national anthem, at the medal ceremony.

Plane, who skied his way to gold in the giant slalom for Ad'ihan barely seven months after receiving his Ad'ihani passport, was filmed not singing the anthem during the flag raising. He later told journalists that he knew the words, having lived in Ad'ihan since before the anthem was adopted, but said he did not feel any emotional attachment to the lyrics and thus chose not to sing.

Many netizens have been quick to slam Plane for being unpatriotic, with some going as far as to suggest Plane - who still holds a Liventian passport - was participating at the Games merely for the money and fame and that he was secretly harbouring intentions of returning to compete for Liventa now that his stock has been boosted.

However, some fans have jumped to the skiier's defence, agreeing that the current anthem - written with the then-recently-concluded insurgency against Liventia in mind - is too militaristic, aggressive, and fails to elicit emotional attachment to the country.

COIA officials have been quick to play down the incident, insisting that it remains up to the individual athlete whether or not he or she chooses to sing the anthem. The delegation flagbearer at the opening ceremony, biathlon star Jérôme Taric, hs also come to Plane's defence, noting that he does not sing the anthem himself because there is no French version set to the current tune of Beethoven's 9th.

Taric took part in the biathlon sprint today as the defendin gold medallist but failed to finish in a medal position after a number of missed shots.

Akbarabad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Akbarabad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 am

Alpine skiers disappoint in slow start for Akbarabad.

(Akbarabad Press, AP): Unlike last time in Cafundéu, Akbarabadi skiers have not been able begin with a gold medal in the first event. After a poor opening event, Jawad Karim did manage to improve to 6th place in the Men's Downhill, but of course anything less then a medal hardly counts. In terms of medals though, there has been nothing much to shout about for Akbarabad.

Our only medal so far is a solitary silver, won by Ski Jumping Women's Team. Other than them only snowboarder Imran Khurshed is still in serious contention for a podium finish having negotiated the second round of the Men's Parallel Giant Slalom. There have been no other real stand out performers so far, but it is earl days yet. Only one country has won more than one medal, and there are plenty of events and opportunities left. Hopefully our athletes, and especially our alpine skiers will wake up soon.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

2200-02-13 · AEROPAG · 0.1 g Au

Olympics: Fifty-eight gunmen set to chase Paripanan duo
ASHTON—Manuel Simón and Gim Sûn-suŋ will lead the men’s biathlon pursuit on Tuesday, after winning gold and silver respectively in today’s sprint event.

Simón, one of the least-known competitors on the Capitalizt SLANI biathlon roster, shot twenty-for-twenty to make his Olympic début a memorable one, while venerable eight-time Paripanan champion Gim Sûn-suŋ’s single penalty put him on the second step of the podium and will cost him 0:22 in the pursuit. Aranmon Isilibrinseer won the bronze medal but will start 0:53 behind, while Willy Hackner (0:58) finished a surprising fourth. Bud Ransone was a close fifth, and will have just over a minute to make up if he is to defend his São Jorge gold in the pursuit.

“I saw [Gim Sûn-suŋ] going into the penalty loop after I finished the last bout and thought, ‘I can beat him!’” Simón told AT Sports after the race. “I don’t think I’ve ever beaten him when he led like that for so long. He’s a giant, but I beat him.”

Gim Sûn-suŋ, who for two decades has been the public face of Keto Baiæsĭllon Kĭllub, was markedly calmer than his rival. “I’m still in the running for the pursuit, I’ve got another Olympic medal and four more chances. The color’s a little bland, but at the end of the day, an oversized coin is an oversized coin.”

Other top-ten finishers in the sprint included the multitalented Jérôme Taric, winner of the sprint event in São Jorge but only eighth in today’s competition, and Uwe Hertzog, the pre-race favorite in the Capitalizt SLANI camp who ended up ninth overall and third out of his own delegation. Of the eighty competitors, three quarters will move on to the pursuit, including all eight Paripanan entrants; Sorthern Northland representative Marco Schmitz will bring up the rear with a 3:57 delay.

Asked how he rated winning Olympic gold compared to races on the Paripanan circut, Simón replied, “When they say ‘médaillé d’or et champion olympique,’ it doesn’t just mean you won a race. It means you’re the best biathlete in the world. If you remember that they’re talking about you, that’s just a little different, that’s just incredible.”

Albertasby
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertasby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 am

OOC: Sorry I haven't been active in a while, real life stuff... Anyway, I want to catch up so I'll RP all of the action so far from Albertasby's eyes... Sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause!

Olympic Update...
DAY ONE

Alpine Skiing; Women's Super G
The Women's Super G was the second event of the games, being the first Olympic event for Albertasby, making their debut at these games. We all sat and watched as our two competitors; Aqua Jetta and Windana Cloud flew the flag for Albertasby.

Windana Cloud was the first out of the two of them, scoring a respectable time of 1 minute and 33.01seconds, but it wasn't enough for a medal chance so all of our hopes were pinned on Aqua. She shot down the course with an amazing time of 1 minute and 31.98 seconds, her personal best.

As more and more athletes flew down the course, it was clear that we wouldn't be gaining a medal from this event. In the end, Aqua finished 31st; being 1.3 seconds behind first place. Windana finished in 42nd place.

Cross Country Skiing; Women's Individual Sprint. Qualification
As the attention moved towards the cross country skiing, the women took their place on the centre stage of the olympic games. The qualifiers for the individual sprint were underway with three competitors representing us; Victoria Teece, Abigail Shepherd and Lilly Newcombe.

Victoria Teece was the only of our three athletes to qualify for the quarter finals; with Abigail Shepherd missing the quarter finals by a mere 8 places. Unfortunately, Lilly Newcombe was well and truly out, gaining 4 time penalties.

As the day drew on, the quarter finals began and Albertasbians everywhere looked on at Victoria, the hopes of a nation pinned on such a young girl. She was drawn into quarter final 5, the last of the heats but was beaten by everyone in her heat apart from Paige Rickardsen, whom she only just beat.

Figure Skating: Men's Individual; Short Programme
This was the third event for Albertasby and looked quite promising for one man in particular; Adam Levick. We were represented by Adam Levick, Oli James Booty and Adam Goodridge. As we sat and watched, we saw Adam Goodridge score a very disappointing 49 points, putting him 8th from last.

Afterwards, Oli James Booty took to the rink with a performance to Mad World, made famous by Gary Joules. The haunting routine was fairly impressive but, in comparison to other competitors wouldn't rank highly. He did score a respectable 66.08 points, but it was not enough to net him a qualification spot.

So, our hopes were pinned on Adam Levick and we weren't disappointed. Never before has anyone ice skated to Amazing Grace by Rebecca Ferguson, and this is just what we did. His impressive routine and clean lines led him to score a healthy 73.65, comfortably within the qualified skaters.

Figure Skating; Pairs; Short Programme
After the qualifying performance of Adam Levick in the men's, him and his partner Sophie Yale moved on to their routine in the pairs. He hoped that his fortune would pass on to this event. Oli James Booty and Tiegan Taylor-Helm also competed, but weren't expecting much after Oli injured his ankle during his performance in the singles.

Oli James and Tiegan took to the rink first. After a strong start, Oli misjudged his throw, catapulting Tiegan across the ice. Despite this, the two went on to finish their routine. When they had finally finished, they were heavily penalized for their slip; scoring a disappointing 46.11

After Oli James and Tiegan crashed out of the competition, Adam and Sophie took to the rink. Although it wasn't as good as his first performance, Adam once again qualified as him and Sophie delivered a fun and upbeat performance scoring 62.76 points. A respectable score that saw that they had qualified.

Ice Hockey; Mens
The mens hockey team took to the rink with a positive mentality, the success of Adam Levick had inspired the team to think and go out there, raring to win. The team, led by captain Ranjid Singh, smashed in three goals consecutively, whilst goalkeeper Ben Flobb managed to secure a clean sheet. Man of the match was James Dunn, scoring two of the three goals against Consumar.

Luge; Men's Individual Runs 1 and 2
Josh McGowan was our representative in Luge, an event in which Albertasby has had variable success in the past. During his first run, he scored an impressive time of 51.954 seconds; one of the fastest of the day. His second run was fractionally slower, timing in at 52.270 seconds. This led to Josh generating a complete time of 1:44.224, leaving him middle of the table with the other competitors.

DAY TWO
Curling; Womens
As the sun rose over the snow covered mountains, the second day of the competition began and the woman's curling team were the first Albertasbians to compete on the second day. The four ladies; Eleanor Holden, Daisy Chain, Lilly Newcombe and Elizabeth Puddick did a good job in delivering the stones, beating Taeshan in 4 - 9 thriller. The stones seemed to be flying to all the right places for Albertasby; beating Taeshan easily.

Ice Skating; Pairs; Free Programme
For the second time, Adam Levick and Sophie Yale took to the ice to perform their free programme, hoping for a good points tally. The free programme wasn't as good as their short programme, however they did score an impressive 60.41 points, giving them a combined total of 123.17 points. This left the pair in 7th place, an impressive feat for an Albertasbian, and the celebrations still haven't stopped after such an impressive finishing place. We still await for the other performances from both Sophie and Adam.
Last edited by Albertasby on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Alby // I'm a She

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Carasatoga's First Ever Medal is Silver

Last night in the Cross-Country Women's Individual Sprint, Brittany Seals won not only her first medal, but the first ever medal for Carasatoga in the winter games. She missed out on gold by two tenths of a second but silver never looked better than when it was around her neck.

"I just can't believe it! Omigod!" Brittany was saying through her overwhelming smile, and then someone told her that was actually Carasatoga's first ever medal which she had not realized at which time she broke down into tears and started screaming along with the Carasatogan fans, "Car-asa-toga, car-asa-toga!" Later when she had calmed down some she made a statement, "I am so blessed to be here with my friends and family and just to have the chance to come to Krytenia and prove myself to the world and to Carasatogans that... like, anything is possible, like, if you dream it... do it."

In honor of Brittany's accomplishment the Carasatogan National Olympic Council has announced that Brittany will be inducted into the NOC Hall of Fame with the first class. Plans for the NOCHOF began last year when it was decided that the nation would compete in its first ever games in Krytenia and Brittany's is the first name to be added to the inductees list making her not only the first ever medal winner in Carasatogan history, but the first female winner, and not only the first woman inducted into the NOC Hall of Fame, but the first person period. Brittany has become an overnight hero, a title that is entirely befitting.
The Carasatoga Authority Republic
Demonym: Carasatogan || Population: 32,526,307 || Trigramme: CRG || Located: Rushmore

Champions: U-18 IBC 1, Women's Soccer World Cup I
Runners-Up: Volleyball World Expo I, II & VI, West Guiana Softball Invite II
3rd Place: World Softball Classic, Saugeais Baseball Tournament, Volleyball World Expo III & IV, Beaver Cup, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos
Hosted: IBC IX, Volleyball World Expo I, II, III & VI, World Indoor Soccer Championship 1, U-18 IBC 1, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos

Rankings:
Football: NR Basketball: 26 Baseball: 50 Beach Soccer: 54 Ice Hockey: NR
Indoor Soccer: 10 Lacrosse: 46 Soccer: NR Softball: 3 Volleyball: 3

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:08 pm

The Thomasburg Post
Special Winter Olympic Coverage

Pressure's On, Hockey

Women's curling lost (an nobody seemed to care much), and Willy Hackner, one of the nation's foremost hopes for winning a medal outside of a team sport, fell just barely short of medalling in the biathalon 10km sprint. Hackner's brother Charlie and Franz Darnes both fell much shorter than that in alpine skiing. Waaltur Surrik qualified in the men's individual short-program gymnastic (figure) skating, but was the last to qualify, meaning there is, realistically, not a whole lot of medal hope for him.

Hackner expressed frustration at his fourth place finish.

"It's really frustrating when this happens. I motored it the whole way through, did some good shooting, and it wasn't enough. I finished less than five seconds after the bronze medaller, Aranmon Isilibrinseer, from Dorian and Sonya. Fast bugger. But I did the best I could. He just did better; in that, I have no regrets about it."

The curling team also expressed frustration.

"I mean, damn!" exclaimed captain and (skip?) Lily Sharpe. "I didn't realize we were playing all wrong! But they go asking anyone on the street in the Federation if they actually know how curling is played, and you say yes and they offer you a job for a couple of weeks doing this! I'm not even sure how we stayed in the game, since Allamunnic street curling is apparently completely different from the sort everyone else is doing!"

We would explain what happened, but to be honest, most of our reporters were too busy laughing at the game to actually understand what was going on.

All this adds up, of course, to the pressure being on a few select athletes.

"Well, yeah, it's there," Artie Weiss said. "But anytime the pressure gets to be too much, I just punch one of the other team's players."

We asked if that was in the Olympic spirit.

"What? Of brotherhood and all that garbage? If they were trying to encourage that, they wouldn't have included ice hockey. That's a great idea: 'let's give all these big guys sticks and make them chase a little rubber bugger around the ice, and see what happens!' And then you're surprised people start flattening each other? It's sort of inevitable."

In any event, pressure there is a-plenty for both hockey teams; the women's hockey team will play tonight.

Also under pressure? Arguably the two most promising gymnastic skaters in the States; Amy Junghans and Ariadne De Paul will be going for qualifiers soon. They may have become the best hope for medalling outside of a team sport.

Good luck to all of our athletes in Ashton!
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Vekaiyu Prepares for Winter Olympics
Reporting for V3 News Services, Isii Yemisalu

ASTON - The Vekaiyun team has yet to win a medal in the 2011 Winter Games, but has shown signs of promise thus far.

On day one, Frankjo Bokalvre put together a figure skating routine that was strong enough to qualify to the second round. He would have scored higher, but a triple axle near the end of his routine wasn't landed properly. Still, it is anticipated he can make a strong recovery and possibly earn a medal for the vulpine nation. The combined team of Vanse Kikalvo and Ankya Ribiskesku did well in pairs competition, earning a qualifying spot, but the celebration was short-lived as the next day's routine was not good medal-level. Surprisingly, however, all competing Vekaiyuns qualified for the Men's Parallel Giant Slalom.

"The course has very good snow, and reminds me of the courses near the Ta'lavero Mountains back home," Vinsent Iversi said after his second run. "It's the right kind of weather too - not terribly sunny out so there's a lot of glare, but also without precipitation."

The Vekaiyuns look to gain medals in the following matches, and hope to bring honor to their people back home.

(c) 2011 V3 News Services
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Meguroko
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meguroko » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

MBC NEWS
Sports

Women's Curling Team Wins

Meguroko's National Women's Curling Team won their first game today, beating Capitalizt SLANI 8-7. This is the roster.

Hana Alinot, lead
Amy Devich, second
Jamie Uinov, third
Laura Volnov, skip

After 4 ends, the game was tied 5-5. Jamie Uinov threw a perfect rock to take out the Slani guard, and got the next shot in to give us the lead, 6-5. Laura Volnov got 2 more rocks, and Capitalizt SLANI pressed harder, almost tieing the game, but they still came up short.

Commemorative Coins to First Medal Winner, Commemorative Medals to All Competitors

MOC, together with RMM in Snowhill, has announced commemorative coins of the first medal winner, with the coin being worth 5 megus, made of Gold and Silver. Also, all Megurokan Competitors will get a medal saying "(Name) competed in Meguroko's first Olympic Entry at the VI Winter Olympiad in Ashton, Krytenia in the (Sport) competition". So, who will get the coin? The medal favourite for Meguroko is Lars Devich, who currently is in position for Gold in the Men's Figure Skating Singles, and will finish the competition on Day 3. It is expected to be Meguroko's first medal, and some are speculating first Gold.
-Kirl Lovis, MBC News Sports, Ashton, Krytenia
Hosted 4th Commonwealth Cup, 1st World Bobsleigh Championships
Host Bid World Baseball Classic 17 [Failed],4th Commonwealth Cup [host]
First 4th Commonwealth Cup
Second 3rd Commonwealth Cup
Third 2nd Commonwealth Cup, Al Mumtaz Boxing Championships,James Grobovnich
Entered International Swimming Competition, Davis Chechnabov, 1st Paralympic Games , World Cup 54
Meguruko Merugoko Megurokoian Megoko Megokuru
Sorry, I've never been that interested in baseball, but I'm sure it was all the goalie's fault.-Olthar
Gold:0
Silver: 2
Bronze:1
The Republic of Meguroko recognizes the Libyan National Council as the legitimate government of Libya. Add this to your sig, substituting your nation's name.
April 1, 2011: Mod for a day!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports