NATION

PASSWORD

Scorinators (OOC Discussion)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Melki
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Melki » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:11 am

One tip, Babbage: Can you make Miscellenator an app (ar at least a javascript .JAR) instead of OpenOffice and excel? It could support a playoff mode. That could be a vast improvement.

The proud creator of Bowlinator. Current version: 1.2

Host of The Nations' Cup 1, 2, and the Rugby Champions' League 1.
Played in the BoF 39.
I am a Post-MT nation. I will use nuclear weapons, if needed.
It is currently 2019 in Melki.
DEFCON 5 REDCON 2
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Personally, I think we should just learn to photosynthesise.

North Wiedna wrote:Sorry, my laptop won't let me search for anything with Bieber in it.

Add 449 Posts. Founded March 8, 2010. Formerly 'The St Timothy Isles'.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:33 am

Cassadaigua wrote:The best proof that NSFS 3.0 is easy is that even I figured out, and on my first try to boot! I screamed in jubilation when it did! The old NSFS gave me headache as soon as I wanted to try.

Good work, though you seemed to handle that WLC rather smoothly. Was that an Excel-based scorinator?
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Nethertopia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Nethertopia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:39 am

Sarzonia wrote:
Cassadaigua wrote:The best proof that NSFS 3.0 is easy is that even I figured out, and on my first try to boot! I screamed in jubilation when it did! The old NSFS gave me headache as soon as I wanted to try.

Good work, though you seemed to handle that WLC rather smoothly. Was that an Excel-based scorinator?

Voodoo dice, definitely :P
Sporting achievements:
Third in WC51. That's about it. I think we once won the inaugural Table Tennis World Cup as well?

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 am

Sarzonia wrote:

Yes! Excel I can get, all the XML that NSFS 2.7 had was beyond me. I tried a couple times and gave up. 3.0 is very straightforward. Love it!
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 am

Melki wrote:One tip, Babbage: Can you make Miscellenator an app (ar at least a javascript .JAR) instead of OpenOffice and excel? It could support a playoff mode. That could be a vast improvement.

If I ever get round to learning Java I might. I took my last programming class in 1978. :)
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 am

The Babbage Islands wrote:
Melki wrote:One tip, Babbage: Can you make Miscellenator an app (ar at least a javascript .JAR) instead of OpenOffice and excel? It could support a playoff mode. That could be a vast improvement.

If I ever get round to learning Java I might. I took my last programming class in 1978. :)

Dude, I started kindergarten in 1978. :blink:

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Sarzonia wrote:

Yipes! I learned to walk in 1978... :eek:
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Novikov
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Novikov » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Qazox wrote:
Sarzonia wrote:

Yipes! I learned to walk in 1978... :eek:

:shock: I wouldn't be born for another nine years in 1978...
NSWiki (needs editing), Embassy Exchange, You know you are...
A member of the United Kingdom of Oceania and Nova
Host of the First International Chess Tournament.
Economic: 8.25 Left
Social: 3.03 Libertarian
CoP I (3rd), CoH XLIII (3rd) & XLVI (2nd), WCQ LI-LV

Gardez-vous d’écouter cet imposteur; vous ětes perdus, si vous oubliez que les fruits sont à tous, et que la terre n’est à personne.

Toiletdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Toiletdonia » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:56 am

I at the minute am working on an excel soccer scoreinator. But I am struggling to come up with a code for scores. Before you say "OMG that is so easy!" I can't do it so high rank doesn't smash it to bits and raise the scores to like a trillion or something. I have tried using ZWCOS codes and I have tried using another code that I was going to use for the first senior cup. But still no joy. Can anyone help?
Trust member in Taltos industry!
10th December 2009-10th December 2010!
I do weddings! And I'm probably official as well!
I'm English and not very proud of it!
Writer Emeritus of F7's most Godawful play. Thanks for the title Nana.
Astronaut
Finance manager
Hallucinater
Trust member in Taltos industry
Priest
Jalanat wrote:Or like that time I misheard something my mom said about the rain and I thought that rain was made of dirty goats for 5 months.

Jalanat wrote:I hope you weren't trying to call me a reindeer, we mooselike are a hundred times better than the reindeerlike. Stupid reindeers. Oh, look at me, I am a reindeer, look at my not so big antlers which look ugly compared to mooses, oooh look at me, I am a reindeer, I am flying in the sky pulling a fat man in red clothes in a sled.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 am

Sarzonia wrote:I've been trying to run demonstration rounds of the MSMT to get myself into the habit of scorinating using NSFS 3.0.

There's one problem I continually have. I can scorinate the first round without a problem, I go and save and whatnot. However, when I try to resume the Cup with the next round, my file says "Semifinals" but doesn't have scoring outputs and teams.

What could I be doing wrong?

I've just tried this, and the same thing is happening to me. When I hit 'Continue Cup in Progress' (this is because the Cup I saved is in .nsfskp format, which 'Load Saved Cup' doesn't want to load, a the window that opens up contains the teams I put in, and the Round, but the window title is 'Create League System'. Then, with almost no options, I hit 'Scorinate' and get a blank results window.

Am I being thick or is something wrong there?
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:58 am

For single elimination cups such as the Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy, it's not that big a deal. But I'd think that handling a bigger cup (such as the DBC or Nethers' cup) would cause quite a few problems.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 am

Sarzonia wrote:For single elimination cups such as the Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy, it's not that big a deal. But I'd think that handling a bigger cup (such as the DBC or Nethers' cup) would cause quite a few problems.

For knockouts which are a Round of 16, Quarter, Semi and Finals, it shouldn't be too much trouble at all (no more than 16 teams need entering at any one time in these anyway, which is no real problem), but I just get the feeling either me or NSFS is DOIN IT RONG!
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 am

Starblaydia wrote:
Sarzonia wrote:For single elimination cups such as the Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy, it's not that big a deal. But I'd think that handling a bigger cup (such as the DBC or Nethers' cup) would cause quite a few problems.

For knockouts which are a Round of 16, Quarter, Semi and Finals, it shouldn't be too much trouble at all (no more than 16 teams need entering at any one time in these anyway, which is no real problem), but I just get the feeling either me or NSFS is DOIN IT RONG!

I too had this problem with the knockout rounds of the Copa Rushmori; even so, manually setting it up each time is easier than setting up an xml file in the previous NSFS.

<Beddgelert> if that were true, i'd never have woken up with pockets full of ketchup
<Nth|Tableinating> Oi, my slow semen have nothing to do with this conversation!

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:06 am

Well, I was worried that it might somehow be me, but if you're having the same problem I am, it's obvious that something else is at work.

Melki
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Melki » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 am

How about a Soccer mode on Miscellanator 1.09? That would be great.

Played in the BoF 39.
DEFCON 5 REDCON 2
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Personally, I think we should just learn to photosynthesise.

North Wiedna wrote:Sorry, my laptop won't let me search for anything with Bieber in it.

Elemanu
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemanu » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 am

Religion. Because Atheism Has No Proof.

Football: QF BoF XXIX
Lacrosse: 3rd WLC VIII
Rugby League: Ro16 RLWC VII
NSFBM Hurling Scorinator

Tarrentum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarrentum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:24 am

Can I just say that, once again, this should be stickied with the utmost haste?
Atlantian Oceania - Islands for Everyone, even Crazy Carl!

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:30 am

I honestly don't see any such need.
Слава Україні!

Tarrentum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarrentum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 am

It's more for a fact that this is a great resource for anyone new to NS Sports to understand what a scorinator is. Sure the stickies there now talk about them but this goes in-depth on how to handle situations and the mechanics of the major scorinators. Plus, it's a great way to get your question answered promptly becuase it's not buried in the main sticky at the top.
Atlantian Oceania - Islands for Everyone, even Crazy Carl!

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:13 am

I don't see why this thread should be stickied over anything else, though. The general questions thread works fine, from there newbies can be directed here.
Слава Україні!

Melki
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Melki » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:14 am

Melki wrote:How about a Soccer mode on Miscellanator 1.09? That would be great.

Played in the BoF 39.
DEFCON 5 REDCON 2

Sorthern Northland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorthern Northland » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Melki, why? There's at least two other scorinators readily available that do association football. As far as I understand the intention behind miscellanator is to provide a scorinator for more niche sports.
Sorthern Football League, 2058 season MDs 1-9 MDs 10-19 MDs 20-29 MDs 30-38
Sorthern Northland wiki

World Paint Drying Champions!

<Mytannion> CC, I've watched the ESPN college thingy
<Mytannion> can't remember which college they follow but it is still interesting
<CC> what are you babbling about?

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007

Postby The Fanboyists » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Because TBI has other things that need attending to, I was wondering if someone would be up for working on a jousting scorinator for Microsoft Excel with me, so that I might try it out for an upcoming tournament I intend on attempting. Naturally, a solution I'd prefer is a modification for Miscellenator, but right now the intention would be for a stop-gap scorinator.

The basics would be under what I'll call the "Romanid Code of Tourney", or the basic (IC) Allamunnic rules for the joust.

The main values and rules are as follows, insofar as I can think of what would be relevant to scorinating rather than straight-up RP.

1) Each club/team will have three entrants on it. Each team is referred to as a side.

2) Each entrant will be assigned a position in the side (lead, second, and third), and they will meet with their opposite number on the opposing side.

3) Each match-up of entrants will receive six lances to take running passes at one another. Points are assigned for the following:

- 7 Points for the unhorsing of an opponent (least likely). Being unhorsed also immediately ends the match-up.
- 2 points for a shattered lance.
- 1 point for a broken lance. (most likely)

4) Each match-up will recieve their six passes at one another, except if one is unhorsed, in which case they are immediately replaced by their second, then by the third.

5) When one or both sides run out of entrants, the team with the most points over-all is the winner.

6) Skill modifiers, as I would think of now, would be by entrant (so three to a team) averaging to 3 (think on the method used for Olympic skill modifiers) for the over all side, so, for instance, with a modifier set of 1, 3, and 5. The higher the skill modifier, the more likely the higher point-value events would be (to modify existing odds for them, with the lowest liklihood being for unhorsing, with a significantly higher chance of shattered lance, and the highest liklihood of a broken lance.

This is something that I've wanted to do since I came onto NS Sports, and now that TBI has encouraged me with the user-friendliness of Miscellenator and (Veph?) with NSFS 3.0, this is something I'd like to try as soon as possible, or at least test it out.

So, anyone up for it? And please let me know if there's any other relevant information here that would help with creating such a scorinator.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Toiletdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Toiletdonia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:32 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:Because TBI has other things that need attending to, I was wondering if someone would be up for working on a jousting scorinator for Microsoft Excel with me, so that I might try it out for an upcoming tournament I intend on attempting. Naturally, a solution I'd prefer is a modification for Miscellenator, but right now the intention would be for a stop-gap scorinator.

The basics would be under what I'll call the "Romanid Code of Tourney", or the basic (IC) Allamunnic rules for the joust.

The main values and rules are as follows, insofar as I can think of what would be relevant to scorinating rather than straight-up RP.

1) Each club/team will have three entrants on it. Each team is referred to as a side.

2) Each entrant will be assigned a position in the side (lead, second, and third), and they will meet with their opposite number on the opposing side.

3) Each match-up of entrants will receive six lances to take running passes at one another. Points are assigned for the following:

- 7 Points for the unhorsing of an opponent (least likely). Being unhorsed also immediately ends the match-up.
- 2 points for a shattered lance.
- 1 point for a broken lance. (most likely)

4) Each match-up will recieve their six passes at one another, except if one is unhorsed, in which case they are immediately replaced by their second, then by the third.

5) When one or both sides run out of entrants, the team with the most points over-all is the winner.

6) Skill modifiers, as I would think of now, would be by entrant (so three to a team) averaging to 3 (think on the method used for Olympic skill modifiers) for the over all side, so, for instance, with a modifier set of 1, 3, and 5. The higher the skill modifier, the more likely the higher point-value events would be (to modify existing odds for them, with the lowest liklihood being for unhorsing, with a significantly higher chance of shattered lance, and the highest liklihood of a broken lance.

This is something that I've wanted to do since I came onto NS Sports, and now that TBI has encouraged me with the user-friendliness of Miscellenator and (Veph?) with NSFS 3.0, this is something I'd like to try as soon as possible, or at least test it out.

So, anyone up for it? And please let me know if there's any other relevant information here that would help with creating such a scorinator.

I would give you hand in developing this.
Trust member in Taltos industry!
10th December 2009-10th December 2010!
I do weddings! And I'm probably official as well!
I'm English and not very proud of it!
Writer Emeritus of F7's most Godawful play. Thanks for the title Nana.
Astronaut
Finance manager
Hallucinater
Trust member in Taltos industry
Priest
Jalanat wrote:Or like that time I misheard something my mom said about the rain and I thought that rain was made of dirty goats for 5 months.

Jalanat wrote:I hope you weren't trying to call me a reindeer, we mooselike are a hundred times better than the reindeerlike. Stupid reindeers. Oh, look at me, I am a reindeer, look at my not so big antlers which look ugly compared to mooses, oooh look at me, I am a reindeer, I am flying in the sky pulling a fat man in red clothes in a sled.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 am

It would be a pleasure, TD, but I do have a question:

Are you any good at generating Random-Number Generators for Excel, or will we need a third person? That's my main concern; I'm not good with formulas and such, personality.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports