NATION

PASSWORD

Cup of Harmony 88: Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

When the final final whistle sounded and the Sarzonian national football team secured a 3-2 victory over Carpathia and Ruthenia at Bencoolen City Stadium, Caleb Rush knew he'd made the right decision.

There were a couple of decisions that worked out far better than he had a right to hope for, in fact. The first was to chalk up the team's 5-1 loss to Polar Islandstates in the group stage finale to an aberration, a one-off disaster class.

The second was to suspend defender Bill Kelley and forward Spencer Wilson, the former for the entire match and the latter until the 106th minute of play.

"I wasn't going to let what happened in the dressing room after the Terns match go without accountability," Rush said. "After a couple of additional conversations with both men, I came to the conclusion that was the right approach." When asked why he chose the full match for Kelley and not Wilson, Rush said it was an "internal matter."

Wilson notched the eventual match winner with the third of five minutes of stoppage time coming to a close. He began a run just past the Carpathian side of the centre circle and used his speed and fresh legs against a tiring defence to knife his way into position. He fired a blistering rocket that blazed past the glove of goalkeeper Federica Antonini and into the upper right corner of the goal.

The players on the Stars bench leapt to their feet and exulted. Rush began to call out instructions to the defence in anticipation of their foes' desperation to force the penalty round that they seemed assured was arriving. He'd seen enough over the course of his career to know the match wasn't over until he heard three loud blasts of the referee's whistle. After goalkeeper John Wells punched the urgent corner kick out of the box toward defender and team captain Ken Webb and just as he was launching the ball as far as he could send it, those sweet sounds finally came.

It was the third meeting between Sarzonia and Carpathia and Ruthenia in the same World Cup cycle, and it was the second time Sarzonia tasted victory over Carpathia and Ruthenia. As the team applauded the contingent of Sarzonian supporters, Wilson caught a glimpse of a rainbow flag, then tapped the area of his face about one centimetre from his right eye and smiled.

After most of the team gathered in the dressing room after their showers, Rush looked and saw one player missing. The other players were either partly or completely dressed, but one player wasn't in the room.

"Where's Wilson?" Rush asked.

"He's showering," Kelley replied.

"Of course," Rush said, rolling his eyes for a moment. "Make sure you tell him we're playing Valentine Z in Couno in the quarterfinals. Couno Park Stadium."

"I'll let him know," Kelley said.

After the team got back to their hotel rooms, Rush was watching video of Valentine Z's victory over Drawkland. He heard a knock on his door. He walked over and opened it.

"You wanted to see me, Coach?"

"Yes, I do," Rush answered. "Come in, have a seat." He motioned with his right arm extended and his palm pointed to the desk in his hotel room. Wilson walked in slowly and slowly sat down. Rush noted Wilson's looking around and paused for a moment.

He's nervous, Rush thought. I'm rather certain I would be too. He walked over to sit in the chair across from Wilson.

"Spencer, your teammates have noticed that you wait until everyone's out of the shower to take your shower.
"Besides the fact that it causes us to arrive back at the hotel late for dinner, it seems rather inconsiderate to make us wait until you're ready."

"I have my, uh, personal reasons, which I don't feel comfortable talking about," Wilson said. Rush did his best to keep his expression even and non-judgmental, but he caught a glimpse of his reflection and realised he looked annoyed.

"I have a question," Rush said, deciding to push past his impulse to soften his approach to the question he was getting ready to blurt out, fully suspecting he knew the answer. He also realised that answering said question could only be done on an individual's own timetable. But before he could overthink his way into something embarrassing, he asked the question directly.

"Are you gay?"

Wilson closed his eyes breathed in through his nose slowly before he exhaled with a large sigh.

"I, uh," Wilson began, fully expecting his next words to be telling his manager that his personal life was none of his damn business. However, he shocked himself when the next thought, and the one that pulled his next word out of his mouth was fuck it. "Yes," Wilson said after only a few seconds that felt like a freaking eternity.

"I'm not ready to tell my business to the press or my mates," Wilson said quickly.

Rush nodded his head. He knew the players he'd been entrusted to lead. Kelley's use of a slur caught him off guard, but he knew the rest of the team would be accepting. Hell, Kitt Morgan was a transgender man who came out as non-binary. The team accepted them with no problems.

However, Rush also knew coming out was a personal journey. He couldn't force Wilson to stand in front of the team and explain that he didn't feel comfortable showering with attractive male players even though he'd never previously had a problem before.

"It's rather ironic we're leaving the gayest city in Tumbra to go face Valentine Z," Rush finally said after a conversation that soon turned lighter and funny. "Two of the highest scoring nations on the International LGBT+ Rights Index facing each other in the quarterfinals, and it's not in Bencoolen? What were the organisers thinking?"

"Hell if I know," Wilson croaked out before being overcome with laughter.

As for Valentine Z, there wasn't very much history between the two countries in football. In fact, save for a group stage match five Cups of Harmony ago which Valentine Z won 3-2, there would be no history between the countries. The two nations were rivals in basketball to a certain extent, having played each other in the previous two International Basketball Championships and also playing each other in a previous edition. But the history was scant enough where none of the players were entertaining the thought of this quarterfinals tilt being a revenge match.

"I can't speak to their team, but ours is a completely different unit," Ken Webb, the team captain for the Stars said. "We have one player [Wilson] whose older brother [midfielder Clayton Wilson] played on that team. Our goalie coach was a reserve on that team if I remember correctly. This is just a match to determine who's going to guarantee themselves two additional matches in this tournament. That's all it is."
Last edited by Sarzonia on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Saterun
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Saterun » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am

For the first time in their history, the Claws were playing in a Cup of Harmony knockout fixture. They had been drawn against Abanhfleft. The women's team had history with this nation, but it was uncharted territory for the men's team. Abanhfleft had struggled in the group stage, but had performed very well in WCQ and were a team to be feared. It was going to be a big match here in Nantwich, and it was a suitable setting. The architecture of the stadium was imposing, and could detect weakness. Kameron's Claws were going to need all of their strength to win the match and progress.

It started cagey, as many knockout matches tend to do. However, after Saterun started to play some slightly riskier passes, the field seemed to open up. Gradually, Andrei Coiro and Hans-Jürgen Becker found their gear, and it was these two that led to Saterun first goal. Becker switched a cross into the middle, where Coiro had to beat Tatiani Tos on the step to get a bit of space. From here, he began to orchestrate the move that would lead to the goal. He played Ndidi Tamaro through, and provided an option for the outside midfielder to drop the ball back. Picking up his head, Coiro spotted Maksymillian Bates making a run through, and the Saterun playmaker lifted an inch-perfect cross straight to the forward's feet. Bates controlled the ball excellently on the drop, and just barely got under it to lift it over Inocencia Pendergraft to put Saterun up. Bates had struggled during qualifying, but he seemed to have found his stride in the CoH.

However, five minutes from the half, Abanhfleft struck back. Saterun had been doing alright defensively up until this point, but a poorly played pass from Fabian Cruz gifted Lily Natividad the ball, a mere 20 yards from goal. Saterun could only get back a few defenders in time, and they were clearly outnumbered. The Saterun back line switched to a zone coverage, but space opened across the box and Mae Wilbanks got on the end of a Natividad cross. Wilbanks went to shoot, with Demare sliding across to block, but she hesitated for just a second. Demare's momentum carried him past the Fleftic striker, who proceeded to funnel the ball across the goal and into the bottom corner. Once again, Saterun had conceded off of poor transition play. It was something that needed to be rectified, although it might have to wait.

The teams went into the break level. Kameron felt that his side were better, but they needed to rally. He focused his players' attention to the tactics board, and started to teach. "You guys are playing well, really well, but we're losing sight of what makes ganharbola special. We need to focus on closing down space, and on bringing the ball back up quickly. Andrei, I want you to sit deeper for the second half. Play almost as a holding mid. Glenn, I'm gonna bring you off." Kameron saw a slight look of relief on the midfielder's face. He was getting on in years, and a rest would massively help him. "Darius, you're gonna take his place. Push forward, and I need you to become the link between Andrei and our forwards." Darius nodded. "Hans-Jürgen and Ndidi, you need to be mobile up and down the sides. This game will be fought and won in the center of the pitch. Everyone else, stay in it and keep playing as you have been. We can win this thing."

After another one of Kameron's stirring talks, the Claws came out ready. A mere four minutes after the restart, Becker tore down the sidelines after receiving the ball from Coiro. When Hans-Jürgen Becker decided to dribble, he was incredible. He beat one midfielder with a quick stepover, before rolling the ball between the legs of Beth Anderson to continue his rampage. He got all the way to the left edge of the box, where he decided to send a low cross. However, there were lots of moving legs to guide the ball through, and it ended up deflecting off of Margo Kahn. But Saterun got incredibly lucky. The ball bounced to the feet of Thiago Esparza, who took a touch by Kahn before slamming the ball into the roof of the net. A brilliant display of individual skill combined with a healthy dose of luck had pushed the Claws back into the lead.

The game started to slow down after that. For their credit, Abanhfleft were trying to get back in the match, but Saterun held strong. But they weren't docile. After picking the ball up from a weak corner, Ralf Abiatti quickly distributed it to Coiro. He dribbled to the halfway mark, where he sent the ball out wide. It was becoming almost routine at this point, but so far no one had been able to stop it. Becker immediately played it back in the middle, where Darius Hammel just barely beat Whitney Zilahi to the ball. However, Zilahi put in a badly timed tackle, and brought Hammel down 21 yards from goal. A yellow card for sure. As Saterun lined up for the free kick, Kameron could see what Andrei planned on doing. He knew that the midfielder was hungry for a goal. And so, from out of nowhere, Andrei Coiro smashed the ball up and over the wall. Amazingly, however, he put enough downspin and sidespin to curve the ball down and out, just barely evading Pendergraft's reach. The ball neatly clipped the underside of the crossbar to complete a wonderful free kick goal.

However, Saterun weren't out of the woods yet. Two minutes from time, Abanhfleft would strike back. Wilbanks started a mazy dribble down the right flank, and made it all the way to the goal line. Somehow, Hiroko Kellerman, who had stayed quiet the entire game, was left wide open at the far post. It was a simple matter of sliding the ball across the goal to cut down the advantage. But as the Abanhfleft players started to bring the ball back to the center spot, the VAR review screen showed around the stadium. Wilbanks had cut inside before crossing, and if Kellerman had mistimed her run, it could be disallowed. This goal was huge. If it was ruled offside, they might as well end the game here. If, on the other hand, it was onside, Abanhfleft had a ray of hope. Eventually, the VAR committee decided that Kellerman had been kept onside, by the narrow margin of Johnothan Post's right foot. Unfortunately for the Fleftics, however, it proved a consolation goal as Saterun held strong to see off the match.

And that was that. Saterun continued an unprecedented run into the CoH, and now there were only eight teams left. They would be playin Qusmo, and unfamiliar face. However, they had just knocked out BoF winner Kamijiro, one of the strongest newer nations. In no way would this be easy. Kameron hoped he could rely on his player's experience to see them through the match, although they certainly needed some fine-tuning. But now that ganharbola seemed to be in full swing, it might just be possible to make the semifinals. Kameron was already the greatest manager in the Saterun NT's brief history. But every step further he carried them in competition play cemented his legacy even further.
Gold Medals: Big Seven Nine Conference Tourny NSCAA 13|Plava Laguna Open Tour Doubles|Independent Associations Championship 20
Silver Medals: Women's World Cup 14|Jenna Raven Cup 1|Cup of Harmony 88
Bronze Medals: Independent Associations Championship 19|Jenna Raven Cup 4, 5

Я з Україною

Kamijiro
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2023
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kamijiro » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

Going Home.

It's over. And I can't help but feel that it's my fault. I had everything in my grasp... the ball was on my strong foot. The net was just a shot away. It was just a shot away. Just a shot away. But I put it high. I leaned too far back, I skied our last chance. We were losing 0-1 in extra time... just needed one for an equalizer...

I've spent the past few hours in my hotel room crying. I yelled at the ref post-match, but in reality that was me being in denial of what I'd just done. I... I lost it for everybody. I'm the reason why we have to go home. Raiji's already left. He went home ahead of us - he mentioned something about having to meet with the FA as soon as possible.

Haruki's going around and making sure we're all ready to go for the plane ride home tomorrow. Nobody's checked my room, but I heard her in Soji's room, making sure he was packed and ready to go. She's really good at this personnel management stuff, despite being 19 with no experience in it. I think everybody's giving me space right now - that's the only explanation I have as to why I've been left alone with my thoughts since we got back from the match. I think even the hotel staff know. They didn't even try to say hi when I walked in.

I just feel so dejected. This is the first time in my life where I've failed to come through in a clutch situation and it's breaking my heart. I... I dunno. I almost want to quit. I want to fall into a hole. Every time I close my eyes, I see the ball going up. And up. And up. And away. But... I dunno. I think I can learn from this.

Note: from this point forward, the story is live-action told from the point of view of Katsu, as opposed to being written in a journal. I want to wrap up the story since I'm out of the tournament.

I'm in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I hear a light knocking on the door, but I don't want to answer. I don't want to move. Or think. The knocking is getting louder. I hear her voice from outside the room. Haruki. The last person I want to see right now. Not that she isn't great. But because I don't want her to see me like this. Broken. Defeated. I roll over and hope she'll just go away. But I hear the door handle turning. She must've gotten a master key from the hotel staff. The door opens, and in she strides.

"Katsu?"
"Please, not right now, Haruki. I don't want you to see me like this."
"Katsu. Are you afraid of showing your emotions to me?"

Her question catches me off guard. Out of all the things she could've asked... she wants to know about my emotions? I stumble over my words.

"Yea- no... yeah, maybe a little bit."
"You do know that I'd much rather you be open with your feelings? I'd rather you be vulnerable with me. I... I want you to trust me."

I sit up in the bed.

"Why? I don't get why. We just met."
"Because... because I see a lot of things we have in common. And I want to be there for you."
"Things we have in common...?"
"You and I are both not as close with our teams, or in my case, my family, as others would expect. We're both introverted, even if we try to hide it."
"Your family? You mean Raiji?"
"Yes. I mean Raiji. He's been absent for most of my life. Even if he's been home, he's never been emotionally available. Not even to my mother."
"I see. So you want me to be vulnerable... because you're not used to male figures being open to you?"
"Well, that's a very blunt way of putting it." She chuckles slightly. "But yeah, sure, in a way. But don't get me wrong, this isn't coming from a place of daddy issues. This is coming from a place of wanting to be there for somebody I consider a friend. Even if we've just met."

Her words linger in the air, and I'm not sure how to respond. Before I can get a response out, she continues.

"Anyway, the rest of the team is in their rooms for the night. But, I'd like to go see Clark before we have to go home tomorrow. Would you like to come with me?"
"Sure. But, you do know we'll both have to get dressed up, right? Clark's very high class."
"I know. Anyway, get up."

I roll to the end of the bed and sit up. As I do, she suddenly embraces me.

"And by the way. I know you've been crying. Your cheeks are puffy. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, let me know."

After the hug, she excused herself to go get changed for a walk around Clark. I got dressed up in a nice suit, combed my hair, put some gel in it and left my room to meet her in the lobby. I arrive in the lobby. She's already waiting for me, wearing a very nice white dress and an off-the-shoulder shawl.

"You look... amazing." The words fall from my mouth before I even realize what I'm saying.
"Thanks! You look pretty good yourself. Not bad for a Miraisaki boy, anyway."
"I can't tell if that was supposed to be backhanded or not. But I'll take it."

We leave the hotel and enter the streets of Clark. Unlike Cuono, the streets are much quieter. The lone sound we hear for the first few minutes are the fountain in front of the resort. We headed north from the resort, over to the beach. As we walked, we took in the architecture, almost all of which predated the Japanese founding of Kamijiro. We passed by the University and it's dorms and joke about how we could be stuck up in some dorms right now if it weren't for football. She and I banter each other for a bit before arriving at the beach. Despite her being in heels and myself being in dress shoes, we decide to walk on the sand for a bit. We found some chairs at some point, and sat close to the water as it lapped onto the sand.

We starting talking about a lot. Football, her family, my family, what made her decide to come out to Tumbra despite not being invited by Raiji and whether or not she was going to try out for the next international roster. The moon gives her features an ethereal glow, her skin glistening as the sea breeze blows her black hair.

Eventually, we decide to head back to the resort. It was getting on for nearly one in the morning. As we head back south, we pass by a dance hall. We take one look inside and ask the doorperson whether or not they were letting people in still. He looked like he was about to say no, but Haruki pulled up my Wikikami page and showed him. He nodded and let us through.

I've never been in a dance hall before, so I have no clue what I'm doing. We go to the dance floor, which is packed with Tumbrans. I take her by the arm and lead her into the crowd. Before I can even think, she says: "May I have this dance?" I nod. For a while, we dance. Well, sway. Neither of us are 100% sure what we're doing, so we just try to copy what the Tumbrans are doing.

Around half past two, we leave for the resort. My heart's fluttering.

"So... was that a date...?" I feel my heart somehow going even faster, begging her to say yes.
"It could be. Would you like it to be?"
"Yes! I mean, yeah." I kick myself for getting that excited. She giggles at my obvious nerves before saying,
"Then yeah, it was a date."

We walk back to the resort, arm in arm. When we get there, I give her a small kiss on the forehead before we go to our separate rooms. The next morning, the team got up groggily, still dejected. But I was smiling again. We go to the airport, and say goodbye to the Cup of Harmony. But even though we may have lost as a team, I still feel more than ready to fight for the team once more once the duty calls. 勝つ out for the final time from the Cup of Harmony.

[OOC]: Thank you to Tumbra for being a great host. And thank you all for being such great RPers. The Lightning will be back!
Winners of Baptism of Fire 81
Quarterfinalists - Di Bradini Cup 55
Round of 16 - Cup of Harmony 88

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

John Wells woke up a little late on the eve of Sarzonia's quarterfinals matchup against Valentine Z. When he saw the time on his mobile phone and saw that there were a couple of text messages and a missed phone call from manager Caleb Rush, he bolted up in his bed.

"Took you long enough," defender and team captain Ken Webb said. "Rise and shine, John. We're supposed to hit up that brunch place up the street. Rough night?" Webb asked with a smirk.

Wells gave him a quick scowl as he pulled the covers off and stood up to go to the bathroom for his shower. This was the "emergency shower" for Wells, limiting himself to the absolute essential body parts. He figured he'd get the shower after the day's training session to make up for the short shower he was taking this morning. He quickly got dressed and waited impatiently as a couple who seemed to be in their seventies got on the elevator and pushed the third floor. Instead of a direct shot from the seventh floor down to the main lobby, the elevator was going to take the "scenic route," stopping on every floor whilst Wells was already running late.

Finally, he looked and saw his teammates, including Spencer Wilson standing in the lobby waiting for him to arrive. When he got there, Rush gave him a glare.

"Sweet dreams?" Rush asked.

"I'm sorry, Coach, it won't happen again."

"You're damn right it won't," Rush said before he broke out a smile.

"Look, folks, I know you're tired. "Cup organisers didn't give us any time between the end of the group stage and the start of the knockout rounds to travel from Nantwich to Bencoolen for the knockouts, and then to come here to Couno for the quarterfinals? We're all tired, managerial staff included.

"That's why I'm canceling the full practice for the match against Val Z. We're doing a walkthrough instead." Rush looked at his watch, which he wore on training days because it carried a timer on it.

"The bus should be puling up any minute. We're going to the brunch spot first."

The team gathered in a private room at the restaurant and the servers brought out pancakes, waffles, all manner of eggs, bacon, sausage, Quebecois toast*, and a variety of drinks both hot and cold. The players, as many hard-driving athletes do when surrounded by food, ate impressive amounts of food. During one round, Wilson suddenly decided he was ready to get something off his chest that had been bothering him for a while. He still wasn't the type of guy to put his business out for public consumption, but he also was tired of hearing whispers about the reason he always waited to shower. "He's too good to shower with rabble," came one comment. "He's shy." Plus one or two thoughts that were a bit more, err, off colour, none of which were true, or the real reason.

"Folks," he said. "I have an announcement. Most of you have been wondering why I wait to take showers until the rest of the team is done. I'm finally admitting the real reason."

Webb turned his head and rolled his eyes. Kelley raised an eyebrow. Other players looked like they were either wrapped up in other conversations or staring at their phones.

"The real reason is," Wilson said, "I'm gay."

"That's it?" midfielder Layton George asked. "That's the reason you wait 'til we're done before you shower?"

"Yeah.

George stood up. "That doesn't seem like much of a reason to me. You sure there's not anything else?"

Wilson's eyebrow furrowed for a moment.

"I'm positive that's it."

"Dude, I've been in showers with guys I knew were gay like half my career. Did you think we'd run away? Did you think we'd shun you? Are you afraid you...>" George stopped when he saw Webb's hand shoot up in a "stop!" motion.

Webb stood up.

"What Layton's trying to say is, none of us give a rip if you're gay. If you're afraid we're going to mistreat you or be afraid of you, we're not. We're your mates. We're here to support all our mates on this team."

Rush stood up, saying, "Next time we're in the showers, everyone has to be out in 20 minutes. And we're not taking an extra 15 for Spencer.

"Now, let's talk about how we're going to defence Valentine Z," Rush said. "You know they play an extremely attack-minded brand of football. We're going to have to play defence the way we did the first two group stage matches, but we can't sit back offensively or we'll get killed like Polar Islandstates did to us. We've got to get possession, control the offensive third, get shots on goal, score, and then prevent them from getting their offence going. It's going to take a lot, but this team is more than capable of doing it. We wouldn't end up with the most combined standings points of any of the teams in the Cup of Harmony if we weren't sound defensively." To wit: Sarzonia's 32 points combined in World Cup qualifying Group 18 and six points in Cup of Harmony Group C were two more than any other team that advanced to the Round of 16.

Nothing was gonna come easy for Sarzonia, but they did get one thing accomplished. For the first time since he joined the team, Spencer Wilson did not wait until everyone else showered before he did.

*OOC: Sarzonia's name for RL French toast

Tero al Disco
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 01, 2024
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tero al Disco » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

AN AVERAGE MATCH UNFOLDS INTO AN EPIC EXTRA TIME DEFINITION: 2-1 VS. BAKER PARK

Redacted by Nicolás Moritz.

April 26th, 2024

To put it short, Tero al Disco have made it into the top 8 of the Cup of Harmony, in their first ever Cup of Harmony, in their first ever cycle of international football. This match was the first ever in the national team's history that they've played into the 120th minute, and it was their first ever extra-time win. Naturally, I guess, that first extra-time win had to come in a very, very dramatic match ending, to not say that it was one of the most dramatic I've personally seen. Tero al Disco started off with a lucky first goal. Though Baker Park, as they were expected to control the game, controlled the game, equalised, but never got another one in. The next 30 minutes devolved into a mess. A beautiful mess. But as with all epic extra times, it just always seems to turn into some amorphous blob not resembling football, it's like a rule there is. The Terense public at large are starting to pay more and more attention to this "Losers' World Cup", and we're now onto the quarter finals against Pasarga, the most unfortunate (I'm trying not to say disappointing here just to not receive the karma if we lose) team in this competition, if you ask the world rankings.

Alfredo Félix had to thank God that he didn't have any more injured players in the group stage, outside of Esteban Hirsch, and then there was Miguel Napoliello, who had reached the booking limit. That situation forced him to reshuffle the midfield. Luckily, Gildo Durand can play almost everywhere in the left, to put it humorously, and Lucas Figueredo had to drop down from his regural right-midfielder position. Aside from those two not having much problems playing at those positions throughout the match, they had, though, to find a way to work around lacking Hirsch and Napoliello, arguably the best chance creators. Félix could use Figueredo as a right-side crosser, as how Lucas often plays as, but his role was to stay down. From time to time he could mingle with our attacking midfielders, but staying at the back was what he had to do. Therefore, taking his place was Leonardi, who is much better finishing a chance, than crossing the ball (though as you'll see later, reader, crossing for a header wouldn't be the main priority). Leguizamón sometimes mingled in himself as a striker, in what would be Biaggi's planned spot, and Lucero seemed to fit well to be a left-winger, in this triple L attacking midfielder line of Lucero-Leguizamón-Leonardi.

So in Fontwell, Tumbra, in the city's Stokers' Park, the game would eventually start. The Bees, as they're called, were definitely concentrated. Thanks to their hard pressing, they could be able to inflict some frights into the Teros. For example, in the 5th minute, Carly Logan disposessed Máximo Manet of the ball, and our defenders were badly possitioned, enough to make Carly do an easy, long pass to her side, towards Ben Moorman. Striker Quinton Harris received a flawless pass, but an easy shot went wide. Fortunately, after getting the ball cleared out to him in the goal kick, Leonardi made an excellent solo run, sprinting past three of their players, before a pass into space to Lucero, who shot, but it was deflected into the corner. He took the corner kick, it was headed out by Marga Kucera, but Gildo Durand came in, dived violently near the small area to head the ball, and the keeper couldn't reach it, as it went in the bottom-left corner of the goal.

Despite the celebrations of the Teros and the Bee defense getting caught offguard, the goal only served as a warning to the latter. But just a warning, that they should be more alert with chances like that. Because they would eventually begin to overpower us until the end of the first half. Fast passing, and again, hard and tough pressing made our opponents control the match at pleasure. Sometimes, the Tero forwards were able to have some chances due to them sprinting forward like if they were a professional sprinter doing a 100 metre race in the Olympics, and also because of the bad positioning the Baker Park players sometimes had when they were getting counter-attacked on. Despite that, those were only a handful of chances, and they were eventually stopped or the finishing wasn't precise when the time had come. Baker Park had a lot more of them (the chances).

Including one in the 26th minute, where after a counter-attack started by Baker Park, Elena Diaz ran from the halfway line into the area, with the Tero al Disco defense making plenty of errors in the process, including not marking Quinton Harris. Diaz passed it to Harris, and he pushed it in, from the 6-yard area, to equalise it for the Bees.

The remainder of the first half was Tero al Disco trying to either break away and attempt to score a second, or stay put at the back, and try to guide the match towards extra time. From the first half already they were doing that. Baker Park had several more chances, of varying success, but none could go in.

The second half was more of the same, but with the game very gradually to an end, the Teros started to focus more on wasting time and making it finish in a draw, over what I said about making it 2-1. Baker Park didn't get themselves any closer to Tero al Disco's goal, because the second 45 minutes were already almost always occurring in the Teros' penalty area, even from before them. On another note, the last thirty minutes would be a foreshadowing of the...poopshow that extra time would be.

No one instructed them to do as such, but in Terense football, you're spiritually forced to this against a bigger opponent, like Baker Park. It was raining (lightly) in Fontwell. Olivia Ryan had received the ball from a throw-in. Ben Moorman rids himself of a mark, runs to his right, and gets the ball. Then, Ben tries to run forward, with some space between him and the other defenders. At this moment, Kuchler, trying to do a tough center-back thing, decided to forget the difference between the minimally wet grass, and a slip-and-slide mat, going into a slide tackle, and swinging his right foot like a scythe on poor Ben's ankle. The referee ruled (and later confirmed after a VAR check) that Kuchler touched the ball first, a classic, so play went on. When an altercation started to form between Kuchler, some other Terense players, and some other Baker Park players, Figueredo gave the ball a good smack into the fans' seats. Moorman was pulled out of the pitch, but by the time that stand-off (VAR check included) ended, his ankle was OK for the footballing. Figueredo got booked, Kuchler got nothing, saving himself from a send-off.

The twenty or so minutes remaining definitely weren't that moment. The air was definitely tense. The football was (for the length of the first 90 minutes)...average, decent. There were no problems with that. The pace of the game was definitely slowing down, with Tero al Disco, as we already said, trying to grind the game down to a halt, and Baker Park falling into the Teros' trap, with constant bickering from the two sides.

Seven minutes were given of injury time, and as the match approached 97, we just got a case of last-minute nerves. After an unnecessary free kick given out by Isidro Savich, some 5 meters out from the penalty area. Peter Obulundi, a prolific goalscorer for the team, would step up for the chance to make the Bees get into the quarter-finals. Kytler Peninsulae-Pasarga was 1-1; that match in particular would be also going to extra time in Millsburgh. Anyway, he walked the steps back, then ran up, struck the ball. It was just about to go in, into Castillo's right post, but he made a last-minute save punching the ball to his right. However, it was still alive. Diaz beat Riese in the run. She hit the cross, towards Olubundi, who headed it. Cuevas appeared in the goal, and headed it out, and- why the fuck does he leave it there, to Quentin Harris??? Could Quentin score a brace? He hit the volley and...in a nail-biting ending, Castillo got it.

It doesn't end there.

We still have to go through, the next, and last, 30 minutes.

Those started alright, as you'd expect normally. Two minutes gone by, when Cuevas and Tedesco decided to do some double trouble by sliding into Carlton Morgan. As said before, it was all ball, and after another VAR check, that was confirmed. It was Félix's plan, learned from the match against Audioslavia at home, or as it's known here, "how to play as the goddamn underdog".

Then, Clotieri commited a foul, to set up a crossing free kick some metres out of the penalty area. Morgan took it, with the cross being headed out by Kuchler. However, the ball was left to Freddie Altman, who unleashed a first-time bullet of a shot. It deviated a little bit to his left, the zone of the goal Castillo wasn't covering. Could it go in? The moment Baker Park fans were waiting for could last only a fraction of a second, because it hit the post, but rolled along the goal line, dangerously along the goal line, where it hit a dived Castillo's knee. Unfortunately for Bee fans, Andrés had enough reflexes to catch the ball very quickly. It was still 1-1.

Yet again, Baker Park looked like they could end the match for us at any second, but the ball went rolling out for a goal kick in the 102nd minute of play. Castillo made a short pass to Clotieri, looking to make it stay there (at least what I thought he was thinking). But Clotieri was apparently looking for something else. He punted the ball to Savich, and Savich was also thinking the same as Clotieri. Savich was tired, despite coming on as a substitute. He ran forward anyway, managing to beat a midfielder. He threw his foot around, resembling a pass towards Cervantes. Cervantes managed to beat a defender, and suddenly he was on the run. He was one on one with the keeper. With that enthusiasm, he was able to run faster, like a new man. He went in. He closed in on the area. He was progressively closer to Callaway. In some seconds he was definitely in the penalty box, and he decided to fire...it bounced on the goalkeeper's hands, but he left a rebound. A rebound that was flying high. Biaggi united all the energy he had into the struggle to reach the ball first, ahead of Magda Kucera. And...he did it. He had the ball. He couldn't give it to Cervantes, because one of the Baker Park defenders reached him, very quickly. His only option was to shoot at Rod Callaway. Callaway ran back towards the goal line. Biaggi and Callaway. Biaggi shot...aaaand 2-1 it was!

With all the celebrations and whatever, it was too late for play to restart; the referee had blown for the end of the first extra half. In the second half, Tero al Disco now struggled with shutting the game down until it was full time. Fouls, dives, crying, and complaints to the referee dominated the atmosphere. The Terense players were tired, really tired, and they all just wanted to catch their breaths. Sometimes there were Baker Park leaks, but the defenders responded with more, more more challenging slide-tackles. Just to stop the pace of it. It was just the team wanting to end the damn match, get into the quarter-finals. It would be a very respectable performance to finish where they were in the Cup of Harmony, but if this slipped from their hands, our fans wouldn't be very happy.

Tedesco was disposessed of the ball by Karrie Price. With all the experience the team had, plus the fact that she had come in as the extra-time substitute, made her run like if she had just started the match. She had replaced Quinton Harris, so the Teros didn't have to be concerned about him, but the striker duo was now Price-Obulundi. There were six players from Baker Park running into the area, with almost the entire Tero al Disco side defending there. She couldn't get inmediately into there, so she tried sorting it out. First, she tapped it left, to Olivia Ryan, in a bid to cross it in. Olivia ran past Savich. She crossed it. She connected with Obulundi...Obulundi headed it.

It fit nicely into Castillo's hands.

The players, and the Terense public went wild, and soon, with Castillo hoofing it out far just to not get a second yellow for time-wasting, the referee...

the referee would blow for full-time

BAKER PARK 1-2 TERO AL DISCO (AET)
  • Lineup (4-2-3-1): A. Castillo | I. Kunz, D. Cuevas, M. Kuchler, M. Manet; G. Durand, L. Figueredo; H. Lucero, J. Leguizamón, J.J. Leonardi; A. Biaggi
  • Goals: G. Durand Image 7', A. Biaggi Image 103'
  • Subs: I. Kunz and L. Figueredo -> C. Riese and I. Savich 68' | J. Leguizamón and G. Durand -> A. Cornelli and P. Tedesco 76' | M. Manet -> L. Clotieri 90+1' | M. Kuchler -> D. Falcone 105'
  • Cards: L. Figueredo Image 64', M. Kuchler Image 83', A. Castillo Image 90+1', I. Savich Image 90+5', L. Clotieri Image 100', J.J. Leonardi Image 115'
  • Venue: Stokers' Park, Fontwell

Lineups for the quarter finals match, against Pasarga.
Roster for reference
Notes:
  • Andrés Castillo has reached the yellow card; it's time for Rico to shine once again.
  • Hernando Lucero has been injured "somewhere". The point is he'll be out for the Pasarga match.
  • Gildo Durand was reported to be "tired", therefore he will start in the bench.
  • Esteban Hirsch's injury treatment has gone well, and won't start, but he may have a chance to appear as a substitute.
  • Unbelievably, no one else has to be sidelined.
Last edited by Tero al Disco on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
country whose sporting culture isn't totally ripped off of argentina, i promise (though there might be some additional details)

BOF 83 third place
domestic sports newswire

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 am

Part 4 – Seeing Stars.

Head Diplomat Charlene Jeannie Natalia Adeline Marceline “완벽한 협상가” Celestie Christine Irelle Dv. Arianna Rees Edith Novena Annie Ciara Whitney Esther Iris Bethany Myong Suh-Hyung here, reporting in! Well, so that was definitely a match of the season for us! To be clear, it was not so much that I did not have faith in the Valentian Kittens, so no offense to them, of course! It was more of the fact that, well, Drawkland’s Kick Corps was absolutely a formidable team! And yet, against all the odds and predictions, we did it! It was a hard-earned victory too, so neither of us were steamrolled in the process! Around the 63:31 mark, the score was tied to a 2-2, and it was that time that the Valentian Kittens decided to go even more on the offensives. 2-2 is fine, but with this being the Round of Sixteen playoffs, it would extend until someone broke the tie. It was, however, a few minutes later whereby Holly, once again, managed to score a goal against Kick Corps, with my capturing the moment where McKenna Reed tried her absolute best to get the ball off the goalpost, but her efforts were futile. The cheers of the audience and the fans came in later with a low but very loud roar, and then back to normal speed – the Valentians cheered on the field with Holly being piled on by a couple of the Kittens as they did the post-goal celebration. Of course, it was not over yet. With 10 more minutes to go, the Kittens would need to go for two options – either go balls out with the offensive, or try their best to do defensives once again, even though that is not something they are very good at.

For a nation that emphasis on defensives and turtling strategies – from their military doctrine to diplomacy to everything else along the way, it was not something for the Valentians to play defensively – both on the football field and in the basketball court. Perhaps it was due to their heights – while they can do a lot of the blocking, the Valentians realised that they are able to get goals and score hoops better than staying passive. And thus, the strategy of offensiveness comes into play. The only thing that they do not (and are not allowed to do) is to shove more players until there are more Kittens / Angels on the football field / basketball court. Well, a reference of the day from me!

Anyway, the match over, the Kittens once again offered their handshakes and hugs to the Kick Corps ladies, wishing them well for the future seasons and that even if they have played against each other constantly, the Kittens would treat them as honourable matches, victory or otherwise. This also extended to our next opponent – Sarzonia! The Sarzonian Stars have played against Gwen’s Angels in IBC before, so that is not a surprise to them. On the field of football, however, I believe this is once again the first match (I really need to look up that data, I do apologise for the readers and viewers at home!) against each other. They have a balanced play style, but with a large field of midfielders and defenders (4 of each), it would be difficult to cut through the crowd before we get a goal. They could get defensive, while we could get a bit more aggressive than usual. Of course, it helps to NOT let our guard down, because while the Kittens are not complacent, an errant kick could spell an end to a promising future in a season. It is a bit of a shame that their Holly Chambers is not going to play on the field unless she got subbed in. It might make for an entertaining show – to see Holly Chambers go up against Holly Annemiek Gerrieke Van De Hoogte. It might be the season and month of Holly because really, you also have Holly Starlight from NSSCRA 15 also getting her very first win, so… maybe having foresight in the flowers can help a lot for these ladies! Holly Annemiek Gerrieke Van De Hoogte remarked, “This is getting exciting! I do hope that we will be able to get through the QF!”

A strat that, while worked for the Gothic army, cannot (and is not allowed to) work for the Valentians. Source.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am

Another city, another hotel.

Another hotel, another hotel bar.

This time, it was Marray. After a long day of travelling by both coach and train after having squeezed in a quick training session during the morning, the Terns had arrived and were settling in. Once again, Federico had given them the evening off to relax and unwind. They’d be playing Cabo Azure the day after tomorrow, so there was going to be one valuable day of preparation to both clear the travel legs and get the team tactically prepared.

It didn’t feel like much time, admittedly, but that was tournament football for you, and the plan they’d managed to formulate last time had worked like a dream against Baggieland, however long they’d had to make it. Jalmari and Sebastian were apparently beginning to enjoy themselves down that left flank, with the opposition unable to cope with their seemingly magic ability to always have an overlap available. Said overlap was usually Einar or Nic, of course, popping up from nowhere to leave a gap that nobody noticed because they were too busy trying to keep tabs on Sebastian – a task that was more easily said than done, and led directly to the first goal when his knock down was drilled home by Dmitry.

The second had been almost a carbon copy, but this time through the right hand side, with Oscar growing into the game and becoming as dominant and influential as he had been against Sarzonia. This time, it was Johannes who was accelerating past him, and as Einar pulled right to draw a defender out, it was Emmanuele who was able to call for the ball at the right time and knock in a second goal which put the Terns in a strong position.

The real magic was applied deep into second half stoppage time, as after more or less comfortably taking care of the Baggieland attacks, it was a move started by Odbjorn that ended up with Youssef holding off the advances of two defenders to turn them inside out with a single swivel, before laying the ball through for Emmanuele to score his second of the game.

Afterwards, Federico had enjoyed the praise that was sent his way, glowing from the inside out as it was pointed out to him that the team had just progressed in the knockout stages of a tournament for the first time in decades. And with a clean sheet, no less. Not that a man from East Külmsaar was ever likely to set much stall by the idea of a clean sheet, but it was nice for those who cared about such things.

And now, sitting in yet another hotel bar, Federico and Einar – the other Einar – were going through the plan for the game against Cabo Azure. As a top twenty team in the Multiverse, it was slightly surprising to some when they didn’t qualify for the World Cup proper, and so they were undoubtedly one of the favourites left in the Cup of Harmony. Certainly, they would be favourites for the quarter-final. It was probably Federico’s biggest challenge as a manager so far, but he felt like he would be up for the challenge. At least, he would be, after a good night’s sleep.

Tiredness attacked him suddenly; sweeping down like a blade from above and sending his faculties scuttling for cover. Apologising to Einar, he indicated that he should probably call it a night, and thanked the bar staff for accommodating them this late. The arranged training facility would be ready for them first thing tomorrow morning, and he would need to be ready for an early coach – a fact he reminded what players were still there of as sternly as he thought he could get away with whilst blinking that tiredly, and then headed up.

He looked at the scrap of paper he had been making notes on as he waited for his lift to reach his floor.

‘Seb and Jalmari – More verticality? Bypass the midfield
Dmitry and Emmanuele – leave them be, whatever it is is working
Nic – stronger in the tackle, maybe sit more in second phase attacks
Aapo – hang left in deadball situations
Oscar – what’s up with his energy levels?’

This last point in particular was a bit of a sore spot for Federico at the moment. His captain was so influential in the right moments. But, increasingly they were more and more polarised. He’d start slowly and tail off quickly, but that period in the middle of the game was absolute dynamite. It was as if he’d found a way to concentrate all of his playing talent into one fifty-minute period. The trick was going to be to either get him to spread it back out again, or maintain that level for a whole ninety. Because if he could manage that, then you might as well put the Terns in the next round right now.

The lift jalted to a halt, and Federico walked out towards his room down the unfamiliar corridor, checking he was going the right way.

And then, as he approached his door, he stopped dead. Someone had pinned some front covers from The New Truth to his front door. The one about the five-one win over Sarzonia he’d already seen, but the one from the Baggieland win was new to him.

It was the same old nonsense – praising the Secretary General’s ability to spot talent for putting Federico in charge of the Terns, which had led to the situation they were in now. It was the kind of thing that Federico had gotten well used to during his time with the Terns, or, well, his time just being alive in the Federation, to be honest. But it wasn’t the subject matter that bothered him.

He knew he was always going to be the second most important decision maker as far as those fanatics were concerned. That was water off a duck’s back. The more concerning thing was that someone had put them there, deliberately for him to see them.

It had to be someone who knew which room he was staying in, and who had access to Polarian newspapers whilst in Tumbra. Which pretty much meant a member of the squad, support staff, or the hotel staff. None of which were very settling options to consider.

Did they think he’d be put off by this? Or encouraged? Was it meant to be a nice thing; “oh hey look how well you’re coming across back home with our dear leader”? Or a nasty thing; “oh hey look you’ll never be in charge”? Or even as a joke from someone who was on ‘his side’, as it were; “oh hey look how much the idiots back home are clinging to Lund being responsible for everything good”?

He looked up and down the corridor. Nobody was watching him.

He pulled the papers off and scrunched them up as he entered the room.

There was a fourth option, of course: The OO. He raised his eyebrows to himself as he sat on his bed. It had been a while since they’d been in touch, perhaps this was just their way of letting him know that they were still around. But then, in that case, why not be more specific? Clarity and direct messaging had never been a problem of theirs in the past.

He made a resolution to try and find out which of the players were still getting the papers. If it was one of them, he didn’t know what he’d do. It would take a lot of delicate diplomacy to manoeuvre around.

But, not right now. The weight of travel was sitting on his shoulders. It was time for bed.

Besides which, there was a hell of a racket going on in Oscar’s room down the corridor, by the sounds of it. As captain, he was the only one of the twenty-three in the squad was allowed to room on his own, but it sounded like there was some kind of zoo being squeezed in. It wasn’t Federico’s style to go and knock on his door now but, he made another mental note to enquire later on.

Again. A problem for tomorrow.

Federico flicked the switch on his light, and he was asleep in seconds. He dreamt of Bjarnarey, Cabo Azure, and East Külmsaar; or the OO, endings, and beginnings; of Orion Lund, Alexsandr van Sorensen, and Oscar Pallasmaa.

It its own way, his brain was trying to prepare him for what was to come...
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Qusmo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qusmo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

The Mathletic
Informed analysis.

Cup of Harmony 88 quarterfinals preview
Is Tlanxball dead? Is the real final at Oceanside Stadium? Can Qusmo beat Saterun in Straton on Saturday?

Qusmo ended World Cup 96 Qualifying on a hopeful note, winning each of their final four fixtures to take at least a chance of World Cup qualification all the way to the final matchday. It has been much more difficult going at the Cup of Harmony, as the tournament has begun with just one ninety-minute win in their first four matches. That record means nothing, however, when sized up against what truly does matter: Qusmo have advanced past the group stage, won a knockout round fixture, & are through to the quarterfinals of the Cup of Harmony.

Looking back

Qusmo has made the Cup of Harmony knockout rounds for the third time in three appearances. After playing thirteen such fixtures, they have yet to suffer a ninety-minute loss in the Cup of Harmony before the semifinal stage, having taken third in Cup of Harmony 73 the cycle after being eliminated on penalties in the Cup of Harmony 72 round of sixteen. Qusmo has now picked up its fourth-ever win in the knockout stage of any competition, including its first win in a match that lasted beyond ninety minutes & its first match in the post-KMSQ & Tlanx-Nulzk Hal eras. However, Qusmo’s victory was decidedly unlike Tlanx-Nulzk.

Kamijiro

Tlanx-Nulzk surprised the Multiverse in Clark with their tactics in their first-ever knockout fixture in charge of their home national team. Their entire career & reputation rested on principles of play called Tlanxball, an up-tempo, aggressive tactical setup that they stuck to devotedly. In this match, however, Tlanxball looked like Karela by comparison. Tlanx-Nulzk commented after the match that they knew that Kamijiro’s strengths — in soaking up pressure & punishing their opponents on a rapid counter — would have perfectly overlapped with Qusmo’s weaknesses, particularly given how the team’s back line has struggled with exactly that sort of attack at this tournament. On the other hand, Kamijiro could not soak up pressure & attack on the break if Qusmo stayed behind the ball & refused to allow Kamijiro any space in which to break.

Moreover, Tlanx-Nulzk also noted that certain players on their opponent’s team had a tendency to get overly emotional on the pitch, with Sandro Becker notably picking up red cards in both World Cup Qualifying matches against Baggieland. If Qusmo could get in their opponents’ heads, maybe they could force an error that could lead to a winner. After all, all that matters in knockout football is surviving to the next round. Tlanx-Nulzk themself sacrificed Tlanxball on the altar of tournament progression.

As a result of Tlanx-Nulzk’s single-day love affair with post-football, the quality of the action on the pitch could have inspired a new Audio versus Ko-oren album. Qusmo’s newfound discovery of physical challenges, crunching tackles, & frequent backpasses led to Kamijiroan players becoming visibly frustrated, losing discipline, & committing rash fouls. As the match ticked on past the final whistle with no goals, & in truth precious few real chances of any quality for either side, the bookings began to accumulate, & Tlanx-Nulzk’s counterpart Raiji Kagawa could not take out every player who was beginning to lose focus, because there were too many such players to choose from.

This proved to be their undoing, as Thomas Beal brought down Qusma striker Sevet-Matez Fox in a dangerous area in the ninety-seventh minute, despite Sevet-Matez holding up the ball with their back to goal & no support nearby. A minute later, Raxat-Avarn Zev curled the resultant free kick beyond the outstretched fingertips of Frank Brouwer & found themselves at the bottom of a celebratory pile, with the Qusmi’y knowing that a single goal would very likely be enough to put them through to the next round on the evidence of how the match had progressed to that point. & although Kamijiro began to take more uncharacteristic chances, as Qusmo similarly assumed an uncharacteristically defensive shell, there was no equalizer in store. Katsu Fujiwara sent the Lightning’s only truly great chance over the bar, & Qusmo broke the hearts of a nation, & one twenty-year-old in particular. Still, Qusmo knew one of the teams on that pitch would be going home thoroughly disappointed, & they were proud it wasn’t them.

Looking forward

The quarterfinals are where dreams begin to feel real. Having played a majority of a possible seven matches, & having advanced past both a group stage & a knockout fixture, paths & possibilities become clearer, & it can be hard not to imagine one’s hands on the trophy. Of course, however, there are seven other quarterfinalists at this Cup of Harmony, & each of them are three matches away from being able to truly celebrate anything. One team will either add another trophy to their cabinet or start its collection. Which one will it be?

Qusmo–Saterun

Of course, the quarterfinal with by far the most relevance to Qusma fans will be their home nation’s clash with Saterun at Straton. Saterun certainly have the pedigree to be at this point, as the reigning champions of the Independent Associations Championship. After taking third in IAC-19, Saterun won the IAC-20 final by beating no less than Delte. For context, Delte was then ranked third, is now ranked second, & may soon be ranked first, according to current live projections of the WCC rankings. Even more impressively, Delte had previously been on a twenty-two-match competitive unbeaten streak — including winning a win in the World Cup 95 final.

Clearly, Saterun can play with the best of them. There is no team Saterun cannot beat, up to & including reigning World Cup champions. Qusmo, then, is certainly up for a tough test. Between Independent Associations Championship 20 & Cup of Harmony 88, Saterun has won more knockout round fixtures just this cycle than Qusmo has managed in its entire sporting history. Meanwhile, Qusmo has an aging roster & has just had to play an extra half hour, which the Claws did not have to survive on account of being able to win in ninety minutes. Not only will Qusmo be playing a favored team & reigning regional champion on a three-match winning run, but that opposition will also benefit from fresher legs.

However, there is still hope for Qusmo. Although both teams records recorded exactly twenty-four goals scored & nineteen against in World Cup 96 Qualifying, Qusmo actually managed to convert those goals into points & wins much more frequently than did Saterun, with double the wins & nine more points. Further, although Qusmo’s defence has been shaky, both teams conceded seven goals in the group stage, & Qusmo even managed to score one more goal in its group stage than did Saterun. Moreover, Qusmo has the potential for individual brilliance from its star players, & Tlanx-Nulzk has proven once again at this very tournament their tactical nous can elevate a team & result in a knockout win. Qusmo won’t be favored, but perhaps they can do it one more time.

Tero al Disco–Pasarga

Of course, whoever wins this quarterfinal will have two more matches to play: a semifinal & either the third-place match or a final. Qusmo’s or Saterun’s opponent for the first of those two fixtures will be the winner of the Nantwich quarterfinal between Tero al Disco & Pasarga. As much as Qusmo’s next fixture is likely to be end-to-end, Tero al Disco–Pasarga will be a fascinating chess match for those who are enamored with matches like Qusmo’s latest fixture. Tero al Disco conceded only two goals in its group stage campaign, while Pasarga conceded only once, before each gave up one goal in the round of sixteen en route to extra time. Not only will this quarterfinal pit the two best defences of the tournament’s group stage together, but the number of goals these two teams have conceded in their group stages, combined, would equal the tournament’s next-best defensive record.

If Tero al Disco wins, it could set up a rematch with Saterun in the semifinals. In fact, not only would this be a group stage rematch, but it would be these teams’ fourth meeting over the course of the cycle. The two teams traded one-nil away wins in Qualifying before Tero al Disco beat Saterun three-one in the Cup of Harmony group stage. Meanwhile, if Pasarga wins, it could lead to an all-Rushmori semifinal between Qusmo & Pasarga. Given that the region is already guaranteed one semifinalist via the Polar Islandstates–Cabo Azure winner, it would undoubtedly be a best-case scenario for the region. It would also be a display of Rushmore’s incredible depth, particularly if Polar Islandstates were to advance, because of Rushmore’s four Cup of Harmony 88 quarterfinalists, only Cabo Azure even made it past the Copa Rushmori XLV group stage. If Rushmore has so many great teams that even Cup of Harmony quarterfinalists would struggle to get into a Copa Rushmori round of sixteen, it speaks highly to the quality of every match on display in the Multiverse’s most goose-friendly region.

However, such a potential fixture would be imbued with even more resonance from a Qusma perspective. Pasarga eliminated Qusmo in the quarterfinals of Copa Rushmori XXXII: the only regional tournament at which Qusmo managed to earn a knockout win, the only major tournament to date Qusmo has hosted, & what proved to be the last major tournament Qusmo competed in fully before the Collapse. That Copa Rushmori run was a symbol of Qusmo’s infinitely hopeful future, not only for Qusma football but for all Qusmi’y. Pasarga snuffed out the light for Qusmo’s national team, & the hope of the whole Qusma nation was snuffed out not long thereafter. What will happen if, all these years on, with Drolx-Dalox Aka still in power, Qusmo gets a rematch with the Wanderers with a spot in its first-ever final on the line?

Valentine Z–Sarzonia

On the other side of the knockout bracket, Valentine Z & Sarzonia will contest a fascinating fixture between old & new. Every player on Sarzonia’s roster is in their teens or twenties, while every player on Valentine Z’s is in their thirties or forties. Sarzonia’s oldest player is two years younger than Valentine Z’s youngest. The average age of a Sarzonian player is over fifteen years younger than the average Kitten. The greatest potential age gap between two players on the pitch.

Still, these two teams & their wildly divergent philosophies on roster composition have achieved remarkably similar results to this point. As it stands now, both Valentine Z & Sarzonia find themselves in the forties of the live projected WCC rankings. They both took highly successful World Cup Qualifying campaigns, featuring a majority of wins & only two losses, to the playoffs. Valentine Z had the joint-best Qualifying goal difference of any team at the Cup of Harmony, with Sarzonia just a goal behind. Sarzonia had the joint-best points total of any team at the Cup of Harmony, with Valentine Z trailing that figure by just two points.

It has admittedly been a bit tougher in this tournament, but one of them will still find themselves in a semifinal, if not better. In the Cup of Harmony, they weathered a loss in the group stage to advance to the knockout rounds, despite a negative goal difference after scoring three goals & conceding five. Finally, they have just triumphed in a tough round of sixteen fixture by a three-two margin. These two teams are so different, yet predicting this result is more of a Rohrsach test than anything else. Which will triumph: youth or experience? Either way, it seems very possible they won’t triumph in ninety minutes.

Polar Islandstates–Cabo Azure

Finally, Polar Islandstates & Cabo Azure will contest a bumper fixture that could easily be a Copa Rushmori quarterfinal instead, or alternatively this tournament’s final. There will be fireworks, as Polar Islandstates take the tournament’s best attack thus far to Ridgewell, where they will be met by the tournament’s second-best attack. Both sides are a single group stage goal from being able to claim the distinction of this tournament’s only team with a perfect four-win record thus far, both teams are group winners, & both teams recorded plus-six goal differences, better than any other team in this tournament.

Furthermore, the teams’ dominance in Tumbra has translated into the knockout rounds as well. While half of this Cup of Harmony’s knockout fixtures thus far have only been resolved in extra time or even penalties, & the other two quarterfinalists only won their fixtures by precarious three-two scorelines, Polar Islandstates & Cabo Azure come into the quarterfinals having won their previous knockout ties by three-nil & two-nil margins, respectively.

Whichever team survives this match will surely be heavy favorites to reach the final, too, as they would face Valentine Z or Sarzonia: teams that Cabo Azure & Polar Islandstates have seen & dispatched at this tournament already. Cabo Azure demolished Valentine Z three-nil, accounting for a majority of the goals the Kittens conceded in its group stage. Meanwhile, Polar Islandstates obliterated Sarzonia five-one, recording every goal Sarzonia conceded during its group stage. In that one match, the Polarians scored more goals than thirteen teams at this tournament managed in the entire group stage, including half of this tournament’s quarterfinalists — including, of course, both Valentine Z & Sarzonia. These two Rushmori giants will expect nothing less to reach the Cup of Harmony final, & ultimately to win it, but the cruelty of the draw means that only one can make it out of the quarterfinals.

Overall

Cup of Harmony 88 has already delivered incredibly exciting fixtures & a remarkable amount of parity. Every team recorded at least one point in the group stage. Only one team picked up the maximum nine points, & they were dispatched in their first knockout round match. As a matter of fact, a majority of group winners lost their round of sixteen fixtures. Now, the tournament presents us with a quartet of fixtures which each look incredibly difficult to predict. All we can know for sure is that we’re bound to see even more incredibly exciting football.

Rank. Avg. WCQ CoH CoH88 Knockout Rounds World Cup 96 Qualifying Cup of Harmony 88 Group CoH KOs
PQ Pr Age G-P G-P Nation W D L GF GA GD Pts W D L GF GA GD Pts R16

54 42 37.3 2-2 D-2 Valentine Z 7 3 2 31 16 +15 24 1 1 1 3 5 -2 4 3-2
60 46 21.8 18-2 C-2 Sarzonia 8 2 2 26 12 +14 26 2 0 1 3 5 -2 6 3-2a
95 69 26.7 16-6 C-1 Polar Islandstates 3 2 7 23 36 -13 11 2 1 0 11 5 +6 7 3-0
20 30 26.6 19-3 D-1 Cabo Azure 6 3 3 26 18 +8 21 2 1 0 9 3 +6 7 2-0
91 71 30.0 16-3 H-2 Qusmo 8 0 4 24 19 +5 24 1 2 0 9 7 +2 5 1-0a
65 52 xx.x 19-5 F-1 Saterun 4 3 5 24 19 +5 15 2 0 1 8 7 +1 6 3-2
86 63 27.3 19-4 F-2 Tero al Disco 6 2 4 10 7 +3 20 1 2 0 4 2 +2 5 2-1a
18 28 28.2 9-2 E-2 Pasarga 6 3 3 16 11 +5 21 1 1 1 2 1 +1 4 1-1p

Notes:
PQ refers to post-Qualifier WCC rankings
Pr refers to projected post-World Cup WCC rankings, found here

Head-to-head results between CoH quarterfinalists in all major tournaments this cycle

Comp. Result

CoH88 Polar Islandstates 5–1 Sarzonia

CoH88 Valentine Z 0–3 Cabo Azure

WC96Q Saterun 0–1 Tero al Disco
WC96Q Tero al Disco 0–1 Saterun
CoH88 Saterun 1–3 Tero al Disco

WC96Q Polar Islandstates 0-2 Qusmo
WC96Q Qusmo 3-1 Polar Islandstates

WC96Q Saterun 2–2 Cabo Azure
WC96Q Cabo Azure 5–4 Saterun

WC96Q Cabo Azure 2–1 Tero al Disco
WC96Q Tero al Disco 1–0 Cabo Azure

CR-45 Polar Islandstates 1–4 Pasarga
Hello! It's nice to see you again.
Qusma projects include: uni·q · Free Qusmo · Original Qusma newswire
Puppets: Sanford · Space Laser Dinosaur Robot Pirate Land · Xuois · The Heraion · UNI-Q
Feel free to newgen Qusmi'y for your leagues with this Qusma name generator, which generates fifty new Qusma names upon each page refresh.
Support: Good things
Against: Bad things
Neutral: Other things
"what the fuck qusmo"

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

Quarter-Finals Cutoff
Scores will be edited into this post.

Valentine Z 3–3 Sarzonia (3–4 AET)
Polar Islandstates 0–1 Cabo Azure

Qusmo 0–0 Saterun (0–1 AET)
Tero al Disco 1–0 Pasarga

Semi-Finals

Sarzonia v Cabo Azure
@ Lakewood City Arena, Lakewood

Saterun v Tero al Disco
@ Fletcher Park, Kingsbury

edit: cleaning up formatting
Last edited by Tumbra on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 pm

One group stage loss five Cups of Harmony ago does not a rivalry make. With no active players on the Sarzonian national football team from their group stage defeat to Valentine Z in the 83rd Cup of Harmony, revenge wasn't even a blip on the team's radar.

After the quarterfinals match between the teams in.the 88th Cup of Harmony, Valentine Z might have more reason to flash more emotion when pondering Sarzonia. Despite a contest played at the breakneck pace the Kitties prefer, the Stars prevailed 4-3 as Holly Chambers scored with a well-placed header in the 118th minute.

The match saw Sarzonia alone score more goals than the other six quarterfinalists combined in a back-and-forth affair which saw nobody lead by more than one goal. The vaunted experience of the Kittens against the youthful Stars might have been fun for 90 minutes or even the first 15-minute extra time period, but in the waning minutes of the second, Valentine Z appeared to wear down.

"These players are in great shape," manager Caleb Rush said. "Considering all the traveling we've been doing throughout Tumbra, they have to be." He also cited the support staff for the team's success thus far, pointing out that the team have carried equipment and changes of clothes for multiple climates.

"We've had to pack warm clothes for the north and light clothing for the south," goalkeeper John Wells said. "The group stage was a little bit easier because we stayed in Nantwich the whole time, but we've been to Bencoolen and Couno since then. Now we're heading to Lakeland."

Defender Bill Kelley agreed. He said he had to remind himself which suitcase to unpack when the team reached their hotel in Lakeland.

"I keep the fall and winter clothes in the hard shell suitcase," he said. "And the soft shell suitcase has the summer clothes. At least I think that's how I did it.

"I wish we didn't have to travel so far between cities with so little lead time," he added. "When Sarzonia won its first World Lacrosse Championship [in the third edition in Secristan], they didn't even have to leave Amherst. The rate we're going, we'll know more about Tumbra than Sarzonia."

The latest destination, Lakeland will allow Sarzonian players the chance to explore the Museum of Immigration. Defender Ken Webb believes he has an uncle who might have come through the processing centre there before his family moved to Portland.

"That should be interesting," he said.

As for Sarzonia's next opponents, they will face Cabo Azure, who are the highest ranked team still in the tournament at No. 20 following World Cup qualifying. Cabo Azure won Group D with a 2-1-0 record, finishing areas of runners up Valentine Z. It will be the first meeting between the teams.

Ranks don't seem to concern the Stars, as midfielder Layton George pointed out Sarzonia have played to strong form throughout this World Cup 96 cycle.

"Our lone clunker in the entire cycle was the group stage finale against Polar Islandstates," he said. "We let up against the Terns. We won't do that now. We can't afford to."

Rush said he hadn't looked at scouting videos of Cabo Azure yet, but he was aware of how aggressive they are on the attack. He added that he wasn't happy with having to play the match against Valentine at their tempo.

"We've got to do a better job of dictating to other teams," he said. "I know we played several teams that love to attack, and we know Tero al Disco are the most defensive-minded team still playing in the tournament, but we have to grab the initiative. We can't get into a shootout or sit back on our haunches."

Spencer Wilson, who scored the equalising goal in the 86th minute as Rush considered playing a four-forward lineup in hopes of drawing level, said his focus would be on doing his part to hopefully get the Stars to play in the final against either Saterun or Tero al Disco.

"We're not here on holiday," he said. "This is a business trip." He said the Pre-Cup of Harmony friendly against Tero al Disco wouldn't necessarily help the side's scouting efforts in the event the Stars played them in either the Third Place Playoff or the Final.

"We weren't playing our usual starting 11 the way we normally would," Wilson said. "We were giving our depth players experience. Playing for a podium spot is a different matter entirely."

After the reporters left the dressing room, he looked at his mobile phone and tapped the "confirm" button. After Sarzonia's last match in the tournament, he was going to stay a few more days in Tumbra actually going on holiday. And that final trip would be the city he would admit privately was his favourite of the ones he and his team had experienced thus far.

"Bencoolen here I come," he whispered.

Saterun
Chargé d'Affaires

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Saterun » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 pm

The Eagles Club was booming. Every single one of those 88,000 seats were full. The largest stadium in Tumbra was ready for a game that would have all the drama in the world, despite the admittedly low scoreline. It was Saterun against Qusmo. The Claws versus the Qusmi'y. And, on a level above most of the supporters and players, Kameron Boyd against Tlanx-Nulzk Hal. Saterun had played a lot of difficult matches this cycle. They had faced Delaclava, Audioslavia, Cabo Azure, and most of all Delte. But even before the match started, Kameron could tell that this would be their toughest match yet.

The crowd roared as Thiago Esparza kicked off and got the match rolling. Both teams played slightly more attacking, and that was evident right from the beginning. Just 45 seconds in, having retained the ball since kickoff, Saterun brought it down the left side. Hans-Jürgen Becker skipped past Ilinx-Winad Bel to free up some space, and played Glenn Lundquist into the opening. Lundquist seemed to hesitate for a moment, and Jerat-Forzu Mal stabbed with his right foot to try to take the ball. However, the Tsear FC midfielder was waiting for such a move, and rolled the ball back to put Jerat-Forzu off balance. He saw Becker making another run, and slid the ball out wide again. Becker hit it first time to send the ball spinning into the box, where it just barely glanced off of Maksymillian Bates's head. It landed kindly for Esparza, who slammed the ball, right through the laces. Alas, it careened off of the crossbar and was quickly cleared. But Saterun had come inches from gaining a lead.

The next chance would fall to Qusmo. After the initial Saterun strike, they seemed to get in gear defensively and were soon using their outside-backs to funnel the ball down the center, where the forwards would make runs through. It was very taxing on the Saterun back line to watch those runs, although the discipline Kameron had imbued in them throughout last cycle and this one allowed them to catch the Qusmo forwards in an offside trap a few times. However, a perfectly timed run from Belaj-Rilan Dar and a lapse of focus from Fabian Cruz gave the Qusmi'y a breakthrough, and all of a sudden Belaj-Rilan had acres of space to run into. Cipraino Dalca and Johnothan Post are very good defenders, but like most centerbacks they are not especially fast. And so it was Avishai Demare who ended up covering the most ground to meet Belaj-Rilan just inside the box. In a move which demonstrated his fantastic spatial awareness, Demare lunged in to tackle Belaj-Rilan. Predictably, the Qusmi winger beat him, but the added step gave Dalca just enough time to poke the ball away. Cruz picked the ball back up and cleared it out.

But the Qusma attack wasn't done yet. Helek-Pertz Zev was masterminding almost all of the attacks down the middle, and he managed to go on a marauding run straight through Saterun's center. He waited just before Post stepped up to meet him before playing the ball out wide to Ilinx-Winad Bel, who moved it on to his left foot. He unleashed a screamer from outside the box, only for it to knock back into the box via the corner of the goal frame. Ralf Abiatti had already committed himself to the dive, but one thing that made him the starting Saterun keeper was his agility. He bounced back up to stop a shot from Xilit-Oxolt Mal, but the parry landed right at the feet of Helek-Pertz. It was chaos at the back from Saterun. However, Avishai Demare once again managed to step up for the Claws, as his diving tackle managed to just barely deflect the ball over goal.

Right before the half, it seemed that one team had finally broken the deadlock. Lundquist had played a lazy pass near the center of the pitch, and Helek-Pertz pounced to put Qusmo on the attack. He carried the ball about halfway into the Saterun side, and then sent a stinging ball directly between Post and Dalca to set up a run for Xilit-Oxolt. Out on the left side, Demare was calling for an offside, but the referee didn't seem to see him. Xilit-Oxolt managed to bring the ball all the way to the penalty semicircle, where Abiatti had charged out to meet him. Xilit-Oxolt calmly slotted the ball past the Saterun goalkeeper, seemingly putting Qusmo in the lead. However, as soon as the ball crossed the line, the Saterun players swarmed the referee, calling for a VAR review. Eventually, the official caved and jogged over to check the replay. And to the joy of Saterun and dismay of Qusmo, Xilit-Oxolt had been just barely offside. The goal was repealed and the teams went into the break 0-0.

Kameron decided to keep it short and sweet this time. "We're playing well out there. I need you guys to keep it tighter in the middle, and play sensible passes. Our offside trap has been working, but be ready to sprint back if it doesn't work. Everybody who was on before the break stays on. That's all from me." It was very tense in that dressing room. The last time Saterun were in a quarterfinal, they had been up against Poafmersia. They had emerged victorious, but it had been a close game. Now, they still had at least 45 minutes to decide this match. It would need to be a careful balance between pushing the attack and covering the defensive spaces. But if anyone could mastermind such a tactic, it was Kameron Boyd.

Both teams played more conservatively after the break, especially Saterun. The Claws had been shaken by the almost goal, and played to keep possession of the ball and not allow it into dangerous positions. The opposition was a little less careful, and this was shown in the 55th minute. Helek-Pertz slipped while trying to control a pass, and Coiro was quick to pick his pocket. Using his unsurpassed vision, he managed to spot a gap in the Qusmo back line and, crucially, was able to see a path through. He knocked it with the outside of his foot to curve the ball inwards, allowing Maksymillian Bates to use his speed to beat Nexev-Pilta Val and break free. It looked as through he would have an easy shot on goal, but his foot barely got under the ball at all and it stayed firmly on the ground. It was still a decent shot, curling towards the corner, but Yamaj-Zorno Mal had no trouble collecting it.

Arguably the best chance of the entire game would come to Saterun in the 75th. They had been building their way towards goal, and Lundquist spotted a run by Becker. He slid the ball across the box, and as Becker started to run with it, Nexev-Pilta collided with him. The Saterun bench shot up in protest, and the referee had no second thoughts. He pointed to the penalty spot. Saterun hadn't been given many penalties in its history, but Becker was the captain and a very competent finisher, so he usually took them. As he stepped up, he could feel the pressure bearing down on him. On the whole, this match had been very reserved, but a goal here could blow it right open. He started his runup. All eyes were on him. He chose a spot, kicked it, and... it was saved. Yamaj-Zorno had read him like a book and was able to parry the ball wide. The rest of the players scrambled to get back possession of the ball, but Becker just stood there. He couldn't believe that he had just missed.

And so normal time came and went. Kameron stood in the locker room, trying to decide when and how to use his extra sub. They were going into crunch time, and needed fresher legs. Finally, he decided to give Jeffery Copeland his first international appearance. Glenn came off, and that was the only change to be made. Kameron did believe that they had been the stronger side towards the end of 90 minutes, and he wanted to stay with what had worked so far. After the short break, the players went back out, ready for the next grueling 30 minutes. In that 30 minutes, however, the first breakthrough would come.

Saterun definitely had come out stronger, the team free of the caution they had seen after the disallowed goal. They were ready to chase this game, and chase it they did. They pushed and pushed, but unfortunately nothing stuck. They were the better side again going into the extra time half time break, and Kameron made no changes. He knew something was coming. And, finally, in the 114th minute, he was rewarded. The Claws had lined up to take a free kick, and they had shifted to a more possession-based setup. Andrei gave it a good shot, but it was blocked by the wall. It fell to Becker, who did a very uncharacteristic thing. Maybe it was the prospect of penalties. The usually calm and composed midfielder, who usually chose his passes so well, decided to just send it through any opening he saw. In the sheerest amount of luck, Copeland was on the other end of that opening, and just barely managed to poke it past a charging Yamaj-Zorno. Finally, after 114 minutes of play, the opening goal had been scored.

Despite numerous attacks by the Qusmi, the Claws held strong. They managed to see off several close calls, and closed down shop in the final minutes. When the whistle blew, Kameron had never been more relieved. He had been right. This had been their toughest game of the cycle. But they were through. As he hugged his players, he was reminded of how good it felt to manage the national squad. And each step further they took was making history. However, in the semifinals, they were playing another team that was making history: Tero al Disco. Their cycle rivals. It would surely be a quality grudge match, with both teams looking to book their ticket to the final. It would be hard. It would be scary. It could eliminate them, after getting so close. But Kameron wouldn't miss it for the world.
Gold Medals: Big Seven Nine Conference Tourny NSCAA 13|Plava Laguna Open Tour Doubles|Independent Associations Championship 20

Я з Україною

Tero al Disco
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 01, 2024
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tero al Disco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:59 am

TERO AL DISCO SHOCKS A SHAKY PASARGA WITH AN EARLY GOAL, AND WE'RE OFF TO THE COH SEMIFINALS

Redacted by Nicolás Moritz.

April 28th, 2024

After that epic showdown in the city of Fontwell, against Baker Park, it was time for the Teros to travel to the city of Lakewood, since they would be playing Pasarga at Trenton Park in said city. We've already seen, heard and said a million times before that Pasarga were one of the favourites for this Cup of Harmony. A top-20 team in the world, as we've said before, coming off losing in the play-offs of the World Cup qualifiers against another top-20 side, Zwangzug, would be the team that Tero al Disco would play next. International pundits wrote that it would be a showdown of defenses. After the round of 16 match, the two sides had the two best defenses, with Tero al Disco conceding three goals, and Pasarga conceding just two, despite originally playing a more attacking style of football than Tero al Disco.

However, there was one factor that was also noted, which was that Pasarga had a bad group stage for a team of that caliber. The Wanderers only qualified after defeating Srednjaci 2-0, and after qualification chasers Oberour ar Moro were stopped by Kamijiro, who ended group E as the only team with 9 points at the end of the group stage. Kamijiro would later be stopped by Qusmo (who could also play the winner of Tero al Disco's quarter-final if they beat Saterun) in extra time, while Pasarga would eliminate the Kytler Peninsulae only in penalties. Therefore, Wanderers manager Ingþór Auðbjörnsson could've thought that a win of Tero al Disco would mean a face wash for his team after that very bumpy ride.

Meanwhile, Tero al Disco had to deal with problems of their own, particularly the players. First, an a-bit-out-of-shape Braian Rico, after Andrés Castillo reached the yellow card limit due to his incessant time-wasting, would have to go from having zero minutes played in this Cup of Harmony, to being between the posts in the quarterfinals. Hernando Lucero was also reported to have a muscular injury, which meant he wouldn't be able to play. Gildo Durand would break his streak of consecutive caps, and Esteban Hirsch would be able to be substituted into the pitch, but in the best case, it'd be either an 80th-minute sub "just to finish off the match" or he'd have to enter in extra-time. Meanwhile, Pasarga would field their best squad, with no-one injured or suspended.

With all that being said and done, Martín Kuchler won the toss, and he chose to make the Tricolor kick-off. JJ Leonardi passed it to Sergio Cervantes, I think a minute later. There was one problem for the Pasargan defense, which was that they had started the match relaxed, against a Tero al Disco attack that was bloodthirsty. As an example, in the 4th minute, an innacurate header forwards from Francisco Martini landed on Mislav Ivančić's right foot without touching the ground. However, insted of passing it, or trying to run forwards with the ball, he decided to clear it out. It was a very high, and not far enough clearance, which travelled to the left and landed on Napoliello, who passed it to Biaggi with another forward header. Biaggi ran past Annamária Sághi, hit the ball, but goalkeeper Tomáš Přibyl threw himself to the left and caught it. It was a great shot from Alvaro. Could this be his match?

The first dangerous free kick would arrive in just 8 minutes. It could finish being like the Baker Park match, in which it all started with a very early goal. Again, it was an error from Ivancic, who tripped Sergio Cervantes, with no need to do so. Miguel Napoliello would take the free kick. He was some 35 metres away from the goal, it was going to be a cross from the left into the area. The Pasargan players would do the offside trap, and you could feel. If you ask me, they could've been doing the starting position for a race, not playing football. However, the defense committed another error. Daniel Falcone and Juan José Leonardi were left onside, as the ball bounced on the grass, and then Leonardi tried to chip it over the goalkeeper. For the joy of every Terense, it went over the keeper, but it was going wide. That's where Daniel Falcone came in. He ran towards the post, got in the invisible line of trajectory where the ball was going to, and tapped it in. Přibyl and Sághi ran back, trying to either reach his foot by a miracle. Maybe even to take the ball away for him with a slide tackle, for a miracle + if it was Friday 13th, the stars aligned blahblahblah, there was a blue moon in the sky, and both players' grandfathers had won the lottery and got struck by lightning on the way home from receiving the prize. But it was in, nonetheless. Tero al Disco was exploding with joy. 1-0.

Understandably, with the momentum given to the Teros by the goal could've made anyone say that Tero al Disco started to dominate. I guess it would be the first time that they "dominate" a match like that, against a side like Pasarga, and not advance/win because of luck and being professional assholes. However, the Pasargan attackers just weren't having that. The Wanderers started to play more aggresively, but players like Földessi, Laszlo or Bazzi were playing for their lives. It was yielding good results up there, because they did have a dangerous chance every once in a while. In the 17th minute, for example, while the Pasargan defenders were struggling to pass the ball, Bazzi made a thunderous run into the Terense penalty area, before hitting a powerful strike which bounced off the crossbar. Him and company would not be taking a loss against a newbie team, not in a million years.

With the football in display going back and forth, it definitely wouldn't be a "defensive chess match" like one journalist from Qusmo had written be, at least not the first half. However, as the first 45 minutes were ending, the shots were starting to get less solid, and it turned into a bit of a mess. The match turned into just being back and forth, and back and forth. And that's how the first half would end. With both teams having to calm down, relax, and rethink their strategies and tactics for the second half.

Coming into the second half, Pasarga (predictably) looked much better, especially their defense. Ivancic was subbed off for the side's replacement right-back, Veronika Fábián, and she defended much better. Veronika decided to take the role of a playmaker, with some plays being started with good passes from her. Aside from that, the entire team played better, and they seemed to very slowly start pushing towards an equaliser.

A chance in the 60th minute would show cracks starting to form in the Tero defense. It was Földessi, running forward, looking to get a pass into space to Bazzi. She succeeded in doing so, and Bazzi ran forward into the area. Falcone, marking him, didn't have to run really fast to reach him, but he lost the mark nonetheless. Bazzi found Bogdan Laszlo, almost alone, with Kuchler marking him badly. Laszlo got the ball and shot from the small box, but it was an easy save for Rico, who...left a rebound, but he dived forward and caught the ball. However, when he threw himself forward, it looked like if he had also touched Bazzi's foot milimetrically and made him fall. Though, after a VAR review, the referee ruled in favour of Rico.

After Rico's error and nearly-almost-sorta-kinda-maybe-I-don't-know penalty and other chances before that, Tero al Disco woke up, just like the Wanderer strikers did after Falcone's goal. The Teros were back for more. It was first shown in the 65th minute, when after a weak pass from Irena Horvat which intercepted by Biaggi, he magically set up a classy volley for himself. However, that shot went a little bit too high for his liking. Přibyl flew up to push the ball upwards with his hand, and off to a corner kick, but if it had gone lower and had gone in the goal, oh, it would be the goal of the Cup of Harmony.

It seemed Auðbjörnsson had gotten a little bit more impatient, because he made his Pasarga team play much more offensively, which would mean sacrificing the already shaky defense to get a goal, or maybe two at all costs. With the onslaught of attacks that Tero had, Ingþór may have thought that it would be OK to leave the defense as they were, with the only change being that they had to hoof the ball downfield to the strikers on tapping it and see what would happen. I guess the disorganisation that the first half had would be coming back for the last 15-20 minutes.

And you could say that it worked, because from the 75th minute onwards, the game went back to concentrating in Tero al Disco's half of the field. That scenario resulted in dangerous chances to defend for the Teros. With Kunz being subbed in for Cuevas, and Falcone going out for Manet earlier, both Isaac and Máximo were attentive enough, and being both of them fresh legs for the defense also made an impact, being able to clear the ball out well, or being able to slide on the Pasargan players where the moment came. That's how the match was, until the clock reached 90 minutes.

Because there was minimal timewasting involved, somehow, it would be four minutes of added time. Both teams got a case of last-minute nerves. Now Pasarga would allow, in the 91st minute, a build-up, which started with Martín Kuchler passing the ball to Isaac Kunz. It was a deliberately slow build-up, despite Pasargan efforts to press like it was life or death, but Tero al Disco somehow managed to get the ball as far as the area. Joaquín Leguizamón had it now, he was about to take the cross, marked by Fábián, as well as Moore Lafontaine and Irena Horvat. Therefore, he decided to do the most rational thing possible, and smack the ball as strong as possible to get it deflected on someone and get a corner kick or a throw-in. It bounced on Fábián's rib and went to the corner. Obviously, Fábián fell to the ground, but the teammates hurried and she manager to get up soon. However, Napoliello and Leguizamón were wasting time with the corner kick, a yellow card was given to both. However, the corner kick was taken, eventually, and it was headed out by Leonardi. It was the 95th minute. Goal kick for Pasarga. Tomáš Přibyl would take it. He cleared it out...

and the referee blew the final whistle, despite claims from the Pasargan players about the time-wasting and all that crap. Tero al Disco were on to the semifinals.

Qusmo-Saterun would finish 1-0 after extra time...for Saterun??? We're gonna play Saterun for the fourth time this cycle??? For a chance at the final? Fuck me...
country whose sporting culture isn't totally ripped off of argentina, i promise (though there might be some additional details)

BOF 83 third place
domestic sports newswire

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 am

Semi-Finals Cutoff
Scores will be edited into this post.

Sarzonia 4–1 Cabo Azure

Saterun 2–1 Tero al Disco

Final/Third-Placed Play-Off

Third-Placed Play-off
Cabo Azure v Tero al Disco

@ Serrapince Park, Serrapince

Cup of Harmony 88 Final
Sarzonia v Saterun
@ Eagles' Club, Straton
Last edited by Tumbra on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 pm

In the early days of Caleb Rush's tenure as manager of the Sarzonian national football team, his charges played five knockout round or playoff matches. Each one has either gone to extra time or has finished with a one-goal margin.

During the current 88th Cup of Harmony, Sarzonia won two knockout round matches leading up to their semifinal contest against Cabo Azure, both of which required an additional 30 minutes to decide. Cabo Azure entered the Cup of Harmony ranked 20th in the football multiverse, the highest ranked side still playing. That fact didn't deter a Sarzonia unit that have played well above their rank for the overwhelming majority of the World Cup 96 cycle.

Sarzonia would earn their most convincing result of the entire cycle with a 4-1 rout of Cabo Azure at Lakewood
City Arena in Lakewood that propelled the Stars to the Cup of Harmony final for the first time since they won the trophy in the 10th edition. Sarzonia built a 4-0 lead just 34 minutes into the contest and Rush was content to send on defensive substitutions and weather a storm that scarcely came.

The Stars (13-2-4 overall record) dominated possession, winning that battle with 68.8 percent to 31.2 percent for the 26th ranked Maçaricas. AJ Zanetti's charges could only account for eight total shot attempts and just three on goalkeeper John Wells. The only goal Wells conceded resulted from a misplay of a rebound off an.Anselmo Santos shot in the 74th minute.

"Yeah I would've loved the clean sheet, but I'm thrilled with the result," Wells said. "I'm thrilled with how well we controlled the tempo from the opening kickoff to the final whistle against a quality side."

That seems to be the prevailing theme for Sarzonia in the current cycle, as the team ascended dramatically from being ranked 112th at the start of qualifying to its position as the 42nd ranked team entering the Cup of Harmony semifinal. Sarzonia's momentum this cycle began in earnest with their signature victory over Ko-oren at Dave Wilson Stadium in Woodstock. It since resulted in Sarzonia winning both legs against then-44th ranked Ochre Islands, a 1-0 victory over 29th ranked Elmyia, and culminated in a rout of a top 25 side.

"I'm glad we're guaranteed a medal after all the hard work we've done," Rush said. "There's been a lot of hard work involved in training, preparation and travel throughout Tumbra."

Now that travel includes one final stop: Straton, the Tumbran national capital and Eagles' Club, where the Stars will face Saterun in the final after the Claws defeated Tero al Disco 2-1 at Fletcher Park in Kingsbury. Rush rolled his when asked if he thought about the staff having to make hotel and travel reservations when he pondered the hard work on behalf of Sarzonia.

His smile afterward, however made clear that annoyance he flashed was mock irritation.

"Yeah, we're rather familiar with eastern Tumbra at this point," Rush said, adding a chuckle. "Hey, if any of our players or staff need extra income, they can work as travel agents for any of our citizens who want to book a holiday here."

Rush was asked if he'd done any scouting of Saterun since this would be the first meeting between Sarzonia and Saterun outside the women's national football teams in the Jenna Raven Cup.

"I've already watched three matches of theirs," he said. "C'mon now." After a brief pause, he said, "I know they play a slightly attacking style of football. Nothing like the team's we've played against in this competition, but they entered this Cup of Harmony near us in rank so we know not to take them lightly."

Another reporter asked if this match between predominantly male teams would be possible revenge for Jenna Raven Cup results for either team. Rush paused again.

"This team and our Women's World Cup team are both different sides with different management and mostly different players," he said. The women's team have a history with Saterun, and not all that successful of one [1-0-2 with Sarzonia's only victory coming in the semifinals of the most recent fifth edition], but we don't."

After the players showered and dressed, Rush saw one of the support staff engaged in conversation with Spencer Wilson, whose 16th minute goal opened the scoring and the floodgates against the Azureans. He heard Wilson say, "Sure!" before he caught Rush approach.

"We're boarding the bus to the airport," Rush said. "We're landing in Straton tonight, then we'll have a day to check out some of the museums and the other sites."

"What about training?" Wilson asked.

"We'll have a walk-through and mental reps tomorrow," he said. "Plus some light drills. I figure the Claws are a difficult enough foe without also facing our own fatigue." Rush looked at both men and saw Wilson still had a little bit of fear akin to a lady with his hand in the biscuit jar. Rush smiled.

"We're inviting family, significant others and guests of choice to a dinner the night before the final. "He's welcome if you want to bring him." Rush didn't know with certainty if the young staff member was Wilson's boyfriend, but in the event he was, Rush wanted Wilson to know he'd not only be welcome, but wanted along with wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends or other guests. .

Soon, the Sarzonian jet would taxi down the runway and take flight to the home of the Eagles' Club and toward Sarzonia's final Cup of Harmony destiny.

Saterun
Chargé d'Affaires

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Saterun » Wed May 01, 2024 3:34 pm

For the final time this cycle, the Saterun and Tero al Disco teams took to the pitch. No matter how this went, this would be the last that they would see of each other. At least for now. Their numerous battles throughout this cycle were the possible beginnings of a great rivalry, but for the time being, they would see it off here. And Fletcher Park was the perfect setting. Kingsbury was alive and roaring around them, and both sets of supporters were eager to see one more match between these teams. For los Teros, it was about cementing their place as the better team and booking their ticket to a CoH final on their first attempt. For the Claws, it was about revenge. They had suffered losses to this team twice before, the most recent coming in the group stage of this CoH. But they had also beaten them in WCQ. Kameron knew his team was capable of winning. But it would be a real test of his tactics and their resilience.

As the national anthems played, Kameron reflected on how surreal it all was. Up until this cycle, the NT had only experienced moderate success in WCQ. This time around, they had won the Independent Associations Championship, and could nearly touch the Cup of Harmony final. They were so close, but they had to go through their cycle rivals. As los Teros got things started off, Kameron settled down for the mind games. He had made some tactical revisions leading up to this game, and could only trust in the lads that they would pay off. He was hoping to catch the opposition by surprise, but it did make it harder for his boys to remember their assignments.

All was quiet for almost 20 minutes, before los Teros got the first chance. Saterun had been doing a good job of moving the ball, but pressure from the opponents forced Glenn Lundquist to play a hasty pass. It wasn't the worst possible option, but Esteban Hirsch surprised Andrei Coiro to pick his pocket and start down the middle. The positioning of both Lundquist and Coiro was way off, leaving the center gaping open and just begging for a run through. Hirsch happily obliged, bringing the ball to the edge of the penalty box. Here, when faced with both Johnothan Post and Cipriano Dalca, he was forced to make a pass out wide. Luckily for him, Álvaro Biaggi was waiting. The young winger took the ball in step with his run, and put on a burst of speed to get a half second of an opening. It was enough for him to slide a cross past the goal, where Juan José Leonardi was sliding in. By an incredible twist of luck, however, the ball glanced off of the edge of Leonardi's boot and bounced against the post. Abiatti was quick to scoop it up, and Saterun survived. Barely.

But they couldn't hold on forever. Eventually, the pressure from Tero al Disco proved too much for the Saterun defense to withstand. In the 31st minute, Dalca was trying to play a ball out wide that he had intercepted from the opposing team. However, Biaggi stepped in at the last minute, deflecting the ball down the center. Due to their relatively high press, los Teros won it first. Miguel Napoliello received the ball, and instantly saw an opening. Hernando Lucero was making a run, and Napoliello played an inch-perfect pass to slice open the defense and send Lucero through. Abiatti came out to meet his man, and although he did get a touch on the shot, it was just enough to carry it into the top of the goal. Saterun had been carved open, and made the defensive shape clearly faulty. Something was going to have to change.

Although Saterun couldn't find a goal in the remaining minutes of the half, they did manage to hold on defensively, and went into the break down a goal. Kameron knew that now was the time to act. He had to rally his team. "Lads, I'm going to be honest. We've played this team three times before this, and you still can't seem to understand their tactics. They play a higher press, and are a more defensive team. We need to balance that out. This is the plan: we're going to go more attacking. I want our passes to be direct. They need a positive target. We also need to distribute quickly from the back. I know that it is asking a lot for high quality forward passes to be taken quickly, but we're gonna need it if we want to win this match. It's only 1-0, and we are absolutely still in this game." The players nodded. "I hope you all understand me very clearly. Be direct. We simply have no other option." Although there might have been some fatigue creeping in, he wanted to keep the more experienced players on in order to efficiently adjust to the new tactics. It would be an uphill battle. But everything was to play for, and Kameron believed in his boys.

And that belief would pay off. With a renewed sense of purpose and drive, the Saterun attack was looking more lethal by the minute. Maybe it was the possibility of elimination. Maybe it was the team finally finding the right gear. Whatever it was, it was working well. All they needed was to equalize. And they would get that chance in the 57th minute. A quick switch from Avishai Demare gave Ndidi Tamaro room to run, and he used his fantastic close control to beat Gildo Durand. Tero al Disco's 5-2-3 formation gave Tamaro a little more time to breathe, and he used it well. He picked up his head, and spotted Maksymillian Bates making a charging run into the box. Tamaro lifted the ball just as Martín Kuchler came in, and it soared high in the air. However, it had just the right amount of downspin to drop it perfectly in front of Maksymillian Bates, who wasted no time. He came in powerfully, striking the ball clean with his forehead. He pushed it ever so slightly downwards, which was just the right ingredient to beat Andrés Castillo. Saterun had drawn level.

However, Tero al Disco so nearly managed to sneak back into the league right after Saterun's equalizer. The chance was mostly the work of Leonardi, whose mazy run allowed the final shot. He had received the ball from Hirsch out wide, and, seeing no other options, decided to carry it down the length of the field. He quickly cut in to beat Fabian Cruz (who was having a rough game) before continuing through the middle. By this point he was into the penalty box. This switch of position heavily confused the Saterun defenders, who left yards of space in the middle of the box. After a Lucero run pulled Post away to open up a gap, Leonardi took his chance. But in arguably his best save of the tournament, Ralf Abiatti managed to get across goal and parry the ball into the crossbar. By the smallest of margins, it hit the outside of the bar and was pushed over. Saterun held the draw for now.

Fabian Cruz looked ragged out on the pitch, and so Kameron decided to bring on Leandro Alfienk. The Futsworth United rightback was doing the business in the A. Liga, and had impressed in the most recent IAC. This substitution proved incredibly influential in the 88th minute, as Saterun went downfield on the attack. They kept the ball moving quickly, counteracting the defensive style of los Teros. However, Becker took a bad touch near the center, and was forced to send a blind ball across the field. In all likelihood, it was going to bounce out. But likelihood didn't account for Alfienk. He tore down the field, burning Gildo Durand and having plenty of space to run in to. His push had freed space for Tamaro to cut inside, and Alfienk had the vision to make that pass. All of a sudden, Ndidi Tamaro was wide open, just outside the area. His choice was never in doubt. Tamaro hadn't been on the NT for long, with old captain Kaka Sarabola usually occupying the right mid spot, but in this moment he made it count. He perfectly finessed the shot, sending it swinging in towards the far post. Castillo went full stretch, but it wasn't enough. The ball calmly caressed the netting just below the corner of the frame to put Saterun ahead.

Kameron had never been as nervous as in those final few minutes. He went against his usual style and told his team to lock the game up, and it finally worked. Gareth Schwarzer's whistle, in the 5th minute of added time, to send them to the Cup of Harmony final, was the sweetest sound Kameron had ever heard. Apart, perhaps, from the final whistle in the IAC final. This cycle had just been a rollercoaster ride. There had been the ups of the IAC, the downs of WCQ, and now it seemed that they were back on the up again. Only one game remained in this cycle, and it was the most important that Kameron had yet to face. He had already become legendary with his IAC triumph, but to win the CoH? That would top off Saterun's best cycle yet.

[Kameron Boyd]: Thank you all for coming. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, so lets get right into it.

[Soloman Carlisle, STV]: How were you able to overcome Tero al Disco this time, when they had previously beaten your team?

[KB]: We definitely changed things up this time, and especially in the second half. We were more purposeful and direct with our play, and it payed off. I want to thank the lads for not giving up after the first goal and having the determination to go and win the game.

[Anna Quijada, Saterun Sport News]: You face Sarzonia in the final. What can we expect from your team?

[KB]: I can't go around revealing all of my secrets, now can I? I can tell you that we'll play as though our lives depend on it. I'm already incredibly proud of the squad for the cycle we've been able to achieve, and I think they have one more quality game of football left in them.

[Ahmand Kiallo, Anasb Tribune]: Congratulations on the cycle, Mr. Boyd. What are your plans for after this game?

[KB]: Thank you, Mr. Kiallo. I haven't fully decided, but I'm happy at Futsworth and I'm happy at Saterun. I find both of these jobs fulfilling and with plenty of potential. I think we have so much to build off of from both teams, and I can't wait for the next challenge.

[Jefferson Recife, Tsear Times]: What are your final thoughts headed into this final?

[KB]: To be honest, there are a lot of things swirling around my head right now. First and foremost, planning for the match. We have achieved something incredible by even making it this far, but I think we can go one step further. Of course, we'll be playing a very difficult team in Sarzonia, but I believe in the lads. Thank you all, that's it for tonight.

The night before the match, Kameron lay awake in his hotel suite. The next day, two teams would give it their all to emerge Cup of Harmony champions. He thought back to the night before the IAC final. Now, it was all a blur. But he did remember the feeling of calm before that final. Strangely, he also felt it here. Kameron trusted in his tactics and, even more so, in his players. He personally knew some of them from Futsworth, and had gotten to know the others through his time on the NT. Whatever happened tomorrow, he would finally get a little bit of a break. This time round, it felt as though the fixtures had come thick and fast, and he was ready for a little downtime. But he couldn't think of that now. The next day, they had one final match to play. One final chance this cycle to achieve glory. To make history. It was going to be a hell of a battle, but Kameron was already gearing up for the match of his life.

Я з Україною

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am

Third-Placed Play-Off Cutoff
Score will be edited into this post.

Cabo Azure 4–2 Tero al Disco

Final Cutoff
Score will be edited into this post.

Sarzonia 20 Saterun
Last edited by Tumbra on Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 am

The moment felt surreal. The Tumbran referee blew his whistle with three loud blasts to signify the Cup of Harmony final was over. Sarzonia prevailed 2-0 over a dogged Saterun side that gave it their all.

As soon as the third blast had gone silent, the depth players and subbed for starters sprinted onto the pitch to begin the dogpile in celebration of the first major title for the Sarzonian national football team since their long ago World Cup 22 trophy. Whether one considered that time marked by centuries or decades, or merely a span approaching two score years ago, the one thing that wasn't in dispute was that it was a long time since Sarzonia came out atop the gold medal platform.

Caleb Rush faced questions from naysayers in Sarzonian media over being assigned as manager of this side, a group of players dismissed as scabs when World Cup 96 qualifying began with Sarzonia ranked 112th in the football multiverse.

Now? His charges had gold medals dangling from their necks after a World Cup cycle that couldn't have gone much better except for a second World Cup championship. The team vaulted 52 spots in the rankings after just missing the World Cup proper in a one-match playoff on penalties. The Stars were left to rue a single away draw against 259th ranked Rea San Vegas that prevented them from outright winning Group 18 over Ko-oren.

As for consolidation prizes, a Cup of Harmony wasn't a bad one. A number of strong teams that just fell short of qualifying for the World Cup proper were playing for a less gaudy, but hardly unwelcome trophy. This Sarzonia group made its name by shrugging off rankings and playing more like a Pot 2 side instead of one consigned to Pot 5.

Sarzonia's shock 1-0 victory over then-No. 8 Ko-oren did more than just upset the apple cart. It showed the way the Stars team would operate. They would win both matches against No. 44 Ochre Islands, carrying a quiet confidence that they had the form advantage against their Pot 2 foes. They would win two of three matches against Carpathia and Ruthenia, a team that also rose slightly in the rankings this cycle. They would win a must-win match against Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove, ranked 61st where qualifying began.

During the Cup of Harmony, they knocked off and knocked out No. 29 Elmyia during the group stage. They would later demolish No. 20 Cabo Azure 4-1 to face Saterun in the final. And now, as he watched his players celebrate at the centre of the pitch, Rush could finally allow himself to feel joy.

"Couldn't be more proud of this team," he said, wiping a tear from his eye in time to speak to a reporter after the final whistle. "The players showed a lot of character bouncing back from adversity all cycle. They faced teams they were expected to lose to and they didn't care. I'm proud to be their manager."

It was a cathartic moment for Rush as much as it was for the players, including Spencer Wilson, who scored the opening goal in the 38th minute and Holly Chambers, who tapped in the clincher in the 89th. John Wells also shined in the final, making eight saves and commanding the box like a man 10 years his senior.

For Rush, he had earned more than just another opportunity to guide Sarzonia back to the World Cup itself. He'd earned the respect of the Incorporated Football Federation which hired a little known manager with zero international experience. Rush was going to be able to renegotiate his contract and drastically upgrade his paycheque as much as he'd drastically upgraded his team's position in the KPB rankings.

Rush now had an international record of 16-3-6 including the inaugural Arrosian Regional Championship, and 14-2-4 in this World Cup cycle. Any questions about his suitability as manager were emphatically answered. Including his own.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Thu May 02, 2024 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports