NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, Version IV)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:17 am

Blouman Empire wrote:So I just made a post, and I have the bye next match day. Does that post count towards MD4 or MD5? Can I put in another post after MD4 is posted and both posts are added to my cumulative score or only one?

Posts are counted for the matchday you post it in; whether or not you have a match is irrelevant. Current post counts towards MD4; if you post again between MD4 and 5 it will count for MD5.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

The Jovannic
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Jovannic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 am

There are cumulative RP scores yes?
ALL HAIL THE JOVANNIC!!!

Sporting Achievements:
1st:
2nd:
3rd: 3rd Jenna Raven Cup, Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy
4th: NS World Cup of Masters I
Semi-finals: IFC1
Honourable Mentions: Olympic Sliver Medal in Football (XIV Olympiad)

Charging forward to return to glory! (II)
Cricket ranking: ??
Football Ranking: 202

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 am

Krytenia wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:So I just made a post, and I have the bye next match day. Does that post count towards MD4 or MD5? Can I put in another post after MD4 is posted and both posts are added to my cumulative score or only one?

Posts are counted for the matchday you post it in; whether or not you have a match is irrelevant. Current post counts towards MD4; if you post again between MD4 and 5 it will count for MD5.

And if you RP on both MDs, you will have 2 additional RP bonuses on MD5 because the bonus is cumulative.

(It is kind of important to state this explicitly because saying that it counts towards MD4 could be mis-interpreted as "it won't count because you RPed on a day when you didn't have a match")
Last edited by Free Republics on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:16 pm

It has come to my particular attention that a user has chosen to godmod without my permission:

My RP permissions wrote:Godmod Other Events: Y (Please TG or contact me on Discord in advance. I'll be able to answer any of your inquiries in earliest due time possible!)

This implies that I expect anybody to contact me on either TG or Discord before committing to anything particular. Apparently this wasn't the case:

Sylestone wrote:With the scores equal, the Stove managed to use his bulk and heat to scare the Independent Athlete's defenders away from him., giving him a clear shot at goal.

This is both godmodding and clear violation of my RP permissions, especially as I did not agree to the aforementioned. It is not helped by the fact that the very user of concern chose not to contact me via TG or Discord when one could have taken more careful approach to the matter, especially as I was online at various points during the past 24 hours on both accounts. Even if this were to be suggested as a part of goalscoring event, the use of fire and heat by a sentient stove, which intend or possibly indicate particular harm on others (hence 'scaring the defenders away'), is not something that would be naturally agreed upon and should be viewed as a scoring event but rather other event. It'd be like having a player slash a knife at others and use that to score a goal.

Thus, I suggest that Sylestone omit unnecessary godmodding involving my players.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:It has come to my particular attention that a user has chosen to godmod without my permission:

My RP permissions wrote:Godmod Other Events: Y (Please TG or contact me on Discord in advance. I'll be able to answer any of your inquiries in earliest due time possible!)

This implies that I expect anybody to contact me on either TG or Discord before committing to anything particular. Apparently this wasn't the case:

Sylestone wrote:With the scores equal, the Stove managed to use his bulk and heat to scare the Independent Athlete's defenders away from him., giving him a clear shot at goal.

This is both godmodding and clear violation of my RP permissions, especially as I did not agree to the aforementioned. It is not helped by the fact that the very user of concern chose not to contact me via TG or Discord when one could have taken more careful approach to the matter, especially as I was online at various points during the past 24 hours on both accounts. Even if this were to be suggested as a part of goalscoring event, the use of fire and heat by a sentient stove, which intend or possibly indicate particular harm on others (hence 'scaring the defenders away'), is not something that would be naturally agreed upon and should be viewed as a scoring event but rather other event. It'd be like having a player slash a knife at others and use that to score a goal.

Thus, I suggest that Sylestone omit unnecessary godmodding involving my players.

ah sorry, I apologise for that. I will change it right away.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Sylestone wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:It has come to my particular attention that a user has chosen to godmod without my permission:

ah sorry, I apologise for that. I will change it right away.

Thank you! Just make sure to be careful in future :)

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Sylestone wrote:ah sorry, I apologise for that. I will change it right away.

Thank you! Just make sure to be careful in future :)

I will. I just forgot this time, thanks for bringing it up and I will be more careful.
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Sylestone wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Thank you! Just make sure to be careful in future :)

I will. I just forgot this time, thanks for bringing it up and I will be more careful.

Yeah. We all forget sometimes - my apologies for making it sound particularly aggressive.

Happy 420 Friends!

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:20 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Sylestone wrote:I will. I just forgot this time, thanks for bringing it up and I will be more careful.

Yeah. We all forget sometimes - my apologies for making it sound particularly aggressive.

That’s fine, I deserved it. (Any more on this conversation should be discussed via TG, I believe. Correct me if I’m wrong.)

Squornshelan Remnant States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Squornshelan Remnant States » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:21 pm

So, as you might have guessed if you've been keeping up with the CoH, the SRS is about to be looking for it's fourth manager since the start of cycle 84.

Any brave volunteers?
The Confederacy of Squornshelan Remnant States
Successor State to the Imperium of Squornshelous
World Cup 31 Champions
AOCAF Cup 69 Champions
ARC 1 Champions
World Cup:
2nd: 15, 38
3rd: 20, 25
SF: 18, 27
QF: 5, 11, 12, 22, 30, 32, 33, 34, 40
Ro16: 6, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23, 24, 28, 36, 37, 39, 90, 93
Group Stage: 8, 10, 13, 17, 19, 26, 29, 35, 41, 88, 91, 92, 94
DNQ: 14, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 95
Cup of Harmony:
QF: 6, 73, 75, 81
Ro16: 74
Ro32: 79
Group Stage: 76, 77, 87
Regional:
2nd: AOCAF65
3rd: IAC8, AOCAF67, AOCAF68
QF: IAC10, IAC13, AOCAF66, AOCAF70
2nd Round: IAC6, IAC7, IAC12
1st Round: IAC9, IAC11
Other:
BoF68 QF

Squorn is an unknowable entity -Mriin

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Squornshelan Remnant States wrote:So, as you might have guessed if you've been keeping up with the CoH, the SRS is about to be looking for it's fourth manager since the start of cycle 84.

Any brave volunteers?

What do you mean by a “fourth manager”?
(Sorry, I’m new)

Independent Athletes from Quebec
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Independent Athletes from Quebec » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Well, so that's a super-long collaborative series done.

I would like to thank the following: Equestrian States, Zwangzug and Mriin for their patience with reading my RPs for this IBC and WCQ, Banija and Valladares for always coming up with important suggestions and feedbacks, and finally anybody else who have read through this series at various points, during the past two months.

And of course. All the round of applause should go to Cassadaiuga, whose support, comments and endless hours of discussion over Discord, made our collaborative RP series possible. Thank you!

See below for the full list of episodes for the Coronation and the Royal Wedding series. For more, please consult Cassadaigua's RP series on Getting to know the Royal Family. They are available both on WC85 RP thread and also her factbook!

The List of Episodes - Coronation and Royal Wedding
1. Part 1, Caspian (Cassadaigua)
2. Part 2, Caspian (Cassadaigua)
3. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Intro
4. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Highway
5. Part 3, Caspian (Cassadaigua)
6. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Castle
7. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Cafe
8. The Veritable Annals of Jacques IX
9. The Wick Castle
10. Prime Minister's Speech
11. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Royal Train
12. Lying-In-State
13. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Committee
14. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Home
15. Sir. Alexandre Kim : Airport
16. Part 4, Caspian (Cassadaigua)
17. Parts 1 and 2, Coronation - Flashback, and Modern-Time
18. Part 3, Coronation - The Investiture
19. Part 4, Coronation - Queen Cassie (Cassadaigua)
19. Part 5, Coronation - The Form and Order
20. Part 1, The Night Before
21. Part 2, The Night Before (Cassadaigua)
22. The End
Last edited by Independent Athletes from Quebec on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

Krytenia
Senator

Postby Krytenia » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Sylestone wrote:
Squornshelan Remnant States wrote:So, as you might have guessed if you've been keeping up with the CoH, the SRS is about to be looking for it's fourth manager since the start of cycle 84.

Any brave volunteers?

What do you mean by a “fourth manager”?
(Sorry, I’m new)

SRS has sacked three since the start of World Cup 84.
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Krytenia wrote:
Sylestone wrote:What do you mean by a “fourth manager”?
(Sorry, I’m new)

SRS has sacked three since the start of World Cup 84.

so what does he mean by looking for volunteers? do they want someone to send them a manager?

Krytenia
Senator

Postby Krytenia » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Sylestone wrote:
Krytenia wrote:SRS has sacked three since the start of World Cup 84.

so what does he mean by looking for volunteers? do they want someone to send them a manager?

Basically, yes. He's looking for IC applicants for the manager's job.

Squornshelan Remnant States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Squornshelan Remnant States » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks for translating my frustration, Kry.

Yes, I've fired multiple managers since the start of WC84 qualifying and am looking for IC candidates who fancy trying to get this team over the hump and into the world cup.
Last edited by Squornshelan Remnant States on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederacy of Squornshelan Remnant States
Successor State to the Imperium of Squornshelous
World Cup 31 Champions
AOCAF Cup 69 Champions
ARC 1 Champions
World Cup:
2nd: 15, 38
3rd: 20, 25
SF: 18, 27
QF: 5, 11, 12, 22, 30, 32, 33, 34, 40
Ro16: 6, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23, 24, 28, 36, 37, 39, 90, 93
Group Stage: 8, 10, 13, 17, 19, 26, 29, 35, 41, 88, 91, 92, 94
DNQ: 14, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 95
Cup of Harmony:
QF: 6, 73, 75, 81
Ro16: 74
Ro32: 79
Group Stage: 76, 77, 87
Regional:
2nd: AOCAF65
3rd: IAC8, AOCAF67, AOCAF68
QF: IAC10, IAC13, AOCAF66, AOCAF70
2nd Round: IAC6, IAC7, IAC12
1st Round: IAC9, IAC11
Other:
BoF68 QF

Squorn is an unknowable entity -Mriin

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Squornshelan Remnant States wrote:Thanks for translating my frustration, Kry.

Yes, I've fired multiple managers since the start of WC84 qualifying and am looking for IC candidates who fancy trying to get this team over the hump and into the world cup.

So this is just someone sending you a manager?
If that’s the case, I’d be more than happy to do it. Would you accept a sentient kitchen object?
(That’s not a joke)

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:40 am

A couple thoughts about godmodding. I didn't weigh in on the previous discussion because it seemed to have been an issue between two players that got worked out on its own; part of the culture of NS is that we have some teams that are very "realistic," some that are very "unrealistic," and some in-between. For instance, I might be tempted to RP a match against Equestria as "the referee got distracted and went for a ride on pony #8, leading to several terrible offsides goals that were never called." I'm not sure I would consider that a godmod, because the team is already ridiculous. But EQS might have a different POV on "hey, please don't do that with my characters," and if he asked me about it, we would talk it out and come to a more agreeable conclusion. Just because the "Godmod events?" is a standard question in RP permissions doesn't mean two people will always agree on what is meant. When in doubt, communicate, and I'm really glad to see that that was able to happen here. :)

Most discussions of godmodding occur when there's a discrepancy between one opponent and the other. However, sometimes, there can be issues involving a participant and a host nation. For instance, Farfadillis mentioned that a large portion of his stadium was on fire. If I had RPed my match with HUElavia as "our captain had a bad game on defense, because she was distracted by the burning flames," I think everyone would have been fine with that. If I had RPed it as "dozens of local fans were killed due to smoke inhalation," that might not have violated any of HUE's RP permissions, but I would consider it tacky and bad form to do without asking Farf. (Especially given the tone of his other RPs this cycle; if his take on "we got hit by five nuclear weapons" is "actually this is a great rebuilding opportunity," I shouldn't dictate what else happens to his characters.)

This is more of a codified precedent in events like the Olympics, where there's a huge burden on a single host or two, and the pressure to respond to godmodded events in their country can be even more immense. Events like the WC proper and the CoH are much smaller in scale, and I'm not about to pretend that my responsibilities are anything near that of an Olympic cohost. That being said, I would say RPing "godmod" style events in a third-party country without clearing it with that user is tacky and in bad taste. Especially if it could be perceived to be done for the purposes of making an ideological point. So I would consider it justified to respond with ignore cannons in such a case.
Last edited by Zwangzug on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

The Plough Islands
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 02, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Plough Islands » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am

Zwangzug wrote:[...] sometimes, there can be issues involving a participant and a host nation. For instance, Farfadillis mentioned that a large portion of his stadium was on fire. If I had RPed my match with HUElavia as "our captain had a bad game on defense, because she was distracted by the burning flames," I think everyone would have been fine with that. If I had RPed it as "dozens of local fans were killed due to smoke inhalation," that might not have violated any of HUE's RP permissions, but I would consider it tacky and bad form to do without asking Farf. (Especially given the tone of his other RPs this cycle; if his take on "we got hit by five nuclear weapons" is "actually this is a great rebuilding opportunity," I shouldn't dictate what else happens to his characters.)

This is more of a codified precedent in events like the Olympics, where there's a huge burden on a single host or two, and the pressure to respond to godmodded events in their country can be even more immense. Events like the WC proper and the CoH are much smaller in scale, and I'm not about to pretend that my responsibilities are anything near that of an Olympic cohost. That being said, I would say RPing "godmod" style events in a third-party country without clearing it with that user is tacky and in bad taste. Especially if it could be perceived to be done for the purposes of making an ideological point. So I would consider it justified to respond with ignore cannons in such a case.

Might a potential way of avoiding this be for the *hosts* to state outwardly what their roleplay permissions are, in terms of what events they will and will not allow to happen on their soil, (or ocean, cloud, rock, or fever dream)? I've seen this stated a few times but mainly in the context of said very large, overly burdening events - Free Republics notably including prohibitions to a greater or lesser extent in the Olympics he host or bid for - and perhaps having it in black and white in an easily visible box will deter some people who might otherwise do as they please.

That said, most events of godmodding impacting the host nation (as well as the hypothetical Zwang has described) tend to be so far over the line as to be unambiguously wrong and trigger repercussions, just in most cases until now it's been by precedent and convention alone.
National team
Test rank: 6th
ODI rank: 1st
Commonwealth of the Plough IslandsPopulation: 139,550Golden age, revealed today
ANAIA NATION
Because not all those
who wander are lost
he/they

See also: overview factbook

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020

Postby Squidroidia » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Some dumbass in this thread is going to say "CaN wE bAn XaNnErIa FrOm ThE wOrLd CuP", and I am saying maybe yes, maybe no. It has to be decided by the WC Committee, and if I were a part of it, I would say yes for at least 1 edition, or at most 2 editions to reflect the punishment English clubs received after Heysel. This is morally wrong and done without permission, and it should be taken as seriously as Kelssek said in the CoH thread. Xanneria, I hope you have learned your lesson, because I didn't make this mistake and neither did anyone else aside from you. Apologize or forever be banned in Liverpool like the S*n.

Of course this can't happen, but still Xanneria should appologize.
Last edited by Squidroidia on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mriin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 17, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mriin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm

Squidroidia wrote:Some dumbass in this thread is going to say "CaN wE bAn XaNnErIa FrOm ThE wOrLd CuP", and I am saying maybe yes, maybe no. It has to be decided by the WC Committee, and if I were a part of it, I would say yes for at least 1 edition, or at most 2 editions to reflect the punishment English clubs received after Heysel. This is morally wrong and done without permission, and it should be taken as seriously as Kelssek said in the CoH thread. Xanneria, I hope you have learned your lesson, because I didn't make this mistake and neither did anyone else aside from you. Apologize or forever be banned in Liverpool like the S*n.

This has been alluded to in Discord, but I wanted to mention it here that this isn't really a ban-worthy offense. I don't think anyone has been banned from entering a World Cup ever, even. The only ban I can think of was Qazox being barred from the WCC for puppet fraud.
<Yuezhou> I am willfully ignoring the existence of boats

Independent Athletes from Quebec
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Independent Athletes from Quebec » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Just few pleasant reminders about RPing any act of human tragedy:

1. Make sure to consult the cohosts and all possible parties about the matter of concern, as Zwangzug has already pointed out earlier. In this case, I am very disappointed there was little consideration given to the proper psyche of the players and whatnot- not only was I not consulted about the very tragic act, there were little to no consideration given about how the Quebecois would have reacted to it. Had I been consulted about it (I was occupied with other things so I was unable to exactly check the content 'til this morning), I'd have been able to at least respond that the Grim Reapers and their supporters group, The Bubonic Plague, made specific statement and commemorative acts.

2. Kelssek and Zwangzug had already covered this, but please think about the IC state of the nation your NT will be playing and talk to the cohost whom you'll be playing in either BoF, WC proper or CoH. Not only will you avoid having to deal with many possible nightmares along the way, they should also be able to help you out with possible RP ideas. I've had many situations where the tournament (co-)hosts had helped me out on this and can say the same to others as well.

3. It is possible to RP acts of human tragedy without completing it in the classless fashion. In past, many users have completed their RPs in diligent, humanely manners when it comes to such comparable cases. As for such examples, please see the RPs that Cosumar wrote on Ramusok Capital University going through a tragic event : Here, There and finally Voila. In this case, Cosumar and I had already discussed this well in advance, especially as Ramusok Capital faced St. Croix for the NSCF 16 final, and I gave him full nod to the idea. Heck, I encouraged Cosumar to dedicate the trophy to the victims if he wins - He did, and I was very glad about that. But if you are to do something like this - please think ahead and carefully, given the weight of what you have to handle.
Last edited by Independent Athletes from Quebec on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

The Plough Islands wrote:
Zwangzug wrote:[...] sometimes, there can be issues involving a participant and a host nation. For instance, Farfadillis mentioned that a large portion of his stadium was on fire. If I had RPed my match with HUElavia as "our captain had a bad game on defense, because she was distracted by the burning flames," I think everyone would have been fine with that. If I had RPed it as "dozens of local fans were killed due to smoke inhalation," that might not have violated any of HUE's RP permissions, but I would consider it tacky and bad form to do without asking Farf. (Especially given the tone of his other RPs this cycle; if his take on "we got hit by five nuclear weapons" is "actually this is a great rebuilding opportunity," I shouldn't dictate what else happens to his characters.)

Might a potential way of avoiding this be for the *hosts* to state outwardly what their roleplay permissions are, in terms of what events they will and will not allow to happen on their soil, (or ocean, cloud, rock, or fever dream)? I've seen this stated a few times but mainly in the context of said very large, overly burdening events - Free Republics notably including prohibitions to a greater or lesser extent in the Olympics he host or bid for - and perhaps having it in black and white in an easily visible box will deter some people who might otherwise do as they please.

That said, most events of godmodding impacting the host nation (as well as the hypothetical Zwang has described) tend to be so far over the line as to be unambiguously wrong and trigger repercussions, just in most cases until now it's been by precedent and convention alone.

I think this suggestion from Plough is actually a decent idea. FFR is a good example of having established some sort of Godmodding permissions box within the Olympiad, and LIventia and I, if we win our bid to co-host the upcoming Summer Olympics, will have some sort of RP permissions as well in terms of what can and can't be done in host nation without the explicit consent of the said host nation.

It's generally something that isn't done outside of the Olympics in my experience. At least, I can never remember a host giving out some sort of permissions of what can/can't happen in their nation, in terms of Godmods. I've never done it myself. I've never thought of the need of doing it, but after something like this, It may be a good idea to make it some sort of a tradition for host nations to maybe give RP permissions for events that happen within their own nations.

Zwangzug is particularly correct in saying that communication solves all problems- sending a host nation a TG if there's anything pretty extra curricular occuring in their nation, regardless of what their RP permissions state, should be done at least as a matter of courtesy. For the example that she used, the referee taking a ride on the pony, she said she wouldn't necessarily consider that a Godmod. I, personally, would consider that a massive Godmod(because it's outside of the normal realm of what happens in a soccer match). Neither of us are wrong, necessarily- simply difference of opinion. But those things can happen. If I ever wanted to do that, communication would be best. Even as somebody who just RP'd a series about nuking the WC co-hosts, I made sure beforehand to thoroughly communicate with all IC effected nations- and to make sure it wouldn't end with foreign troops landing on Banijan shores, which even if that would be believeable, it would have been unacceptable to me from an OOC POV, and it didn't happen.

I guess it gets into the definition of what is a Godmod, right? I'd personally define it as something that'd be considered an extraordinary event within the context of the match. It's a Godmod if you make somebody else's player perform a Zidane-esque headbutt on another player, for example. In terms of things that happen outside the match, just think of how they effect the host nation. The relevant guide Kelssek posted in the thread to international incidents contains great advice regarding the subject.

I think in this scenario it's simply an honest mistake, but yea- learning opportunity for everybody. I would also like to add that what Quebec posted regarding advice with human tragedies is a good idea. NS Sports is an escape, but sometimes we like to RP things that are emotionally heavy. It is OK to do so- but if you take that challenge on, know that your bar is higher and, once again, communication with all effected parties is the way to go.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Hampton Island
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hampton Island » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm

It was a joy to participate in the World Cup with everyone especially with the old guys overachieving. Good luck to those remaining.
Campionato Esportiva 28 Champions
Two-time World Cup Qualifier (85, 86)
NSSCRA Also-rans

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Mriin wrote:
Squidroidia wrote:Some dumbass in this thread is going to say "CaN wE bAn XaNnErIa FrOm ThE wOrLd CuP", and I am saying maybe yes, maybe no. It has to be decided by the WC Committee, and if I were a part of it, I would say yes for at least 1 edition, or at most 2 editions to reflect the punishment English clubs received after Heysel. This is morally wrong and done without permission, and it should be taken as seriously as Kelssek said in the CoH thread. Xanneria, I hope you have learned your lesson, because I didn't make this mistake and neither did anyone else aside from you. Apologize or forever be banned in Liverpool like the S*n.

This has been alluded to in Discord, but I wanted to mention it here that this isn't really a ban-worthy offense. I don't think anyone has been banned from entering a World Cup ever, even. The only ban I can think of was Qazox being barred from the WCC for puppet fraud.

just adding to this that as Mriin said, I don’t see it as a ban worthy offence. I believe that if Xanneria simply acknowledges what’s been happening and changes his RP, then it should be fine.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports