NATION

PASSWORD

World Baseball Classic Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:Has it been six weeks yet?

I'd say we should open sign-ups halfway through qualifying so we can start when the world cup is in its final stages.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Frenline Delpha wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:Has it been six weeks yet?

I'd say we should open sign-ups halfway through qualifying so we can start when the world cup is in its final stages.

I think it'd be ideal to try to have signups open during the RL WBC next month.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Free Republics wrote:
Frenline Delpha wrote:I'd say we should open sign-ups halfway through qualifying so we can start when the world cup is in its final stages.

That's next month? Sweet. I'll have to see if I get any of the games.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Oh, we are doing this again? Yay!

Schiltzberg
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 am

Free Republics wrote:
Frenline Delpha wrote:I'd say we should open sign-ups halfway through qualifying so we can start when the world cup is in its final stages.

That would be cool. The RL WBC starts on March 6, so if we also want to start on that day, I should probably still wait a couple weeks to open sign-ups, right? Sign-ups are generally open for about two weeks or so, as I recall.
Fan of: Baseball, Impractical Jokers, U2, Luxembourg, Chicago Cubs, Bob Dylan
Former President of the World Baseball Classic
Winners of World Baseball Classics 33, 35, 36, and 37
Proud Author of the World Baseball Classic History Factbook
Author of Poems, Poems II, and Poems III
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA
Fan of NationStates and Jennifer Government
SEND ME A TELEGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The people in my songs are all me."

-- Bob Dylan

Officially NationStates' #1 Dylan Fan

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Hold on... are we starting signups the first day of the tournament, or the tournament itself starts then? The latter would obviously be at the host's discretion when exactly to start, but to achieve that we'd need to open signups about a month before for time for bids, signups, Vote, and everything thread. If signups will be open during the tournament, I'd start them a few days before just to build anticipation.

Though it might be better to start signups a week before the RL tournament starts or so, to hopefully preempt some n00b from saying "Haha I had this totally original idea to have a World Baseball Classic since the real one starts in a few days, pls join guys!!!!!"
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Hold on... are we starting signups the first day of the tournament, or the tournament itself starts then? The latter would obviously be at the host's discretion when exactly to start, but to achieve that we'd need to open signups about a month before for time for bids, signups, Vote, and everything thread. If signups will be open during the tournament, I'd start them a few days before just to build anticipation.

Though it might be better to start signups a week before the RL tournament starts or so, to hopefully preempt some n00b from saying "Haha I had this totally original idea to have a World Baseball Classic since the real one starts in a few days, pls join guys!!!!!"

I was thinking of having it start about the time of the tournament, but maybe that is too soon.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Hold on... are we starting signups the first day of the tournament, or the tournament itself starts then? The latter would obviously be at the host's discretion when exactly to start, but to achieve that we'd need to open signups about a month before for time for bids, signups, Vote, and everything thread. If signups will be open during the tournament, I'd start them a few days before just to build anticipation.

I agree with this: start them up a little bit before.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:

I agree with this: start them up a little bit before.

That sounds good.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote: hopefully preempt some n00b from saying "Haha I had this totally original idea to have a World Baseball Classic since the real one starts in a few days, pls join guys!!!!!"

That'll happen anyway, and it will happen even with the signup thread being on the top of the first page. ;)
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:09 am

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1864 ... ra-innings

Interesting. So, how would everyone feel if I implemented this into my bid? I think it could lead to some interesting RPs.

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:02 am

Frenline Delpha wrote:http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18648532/mlb-test-rule-change-minor-leagues-focusing-extra-innings

Interesting. So, how would everyone feel if I implemented this into my bid? I think it could lead to some interesting RPs.

ICly, the Rockets would love this. The way our roster is constructed with a small bullpen and more bench players, it would take away an area in which our nation was most vulnerable, or seriously reduce our vulnerability. RP-wise, it would really play into our nation's hands. Also, with our free-wheeling nature a la Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson, don't be surprised if that soon becomes an automatic runner who just stole third. :p

OOCly, it would not influence my vote one way or the other on anyone's host bid.

Using the practice in real life baseball? Not a fan.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 am

Frenline Delpha wrote:http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18648532/mlb-test-rule-change-minor-leagues-focusing-extra-innings

I wouldn't mind, consdering a similar rule is used in the RL WBC, provided you adjusted the scorinator to reflect it. But I don't even know if it's technically feasible to have different scoring probabilities in extra innings versus regulation. If you're using the standard scorinator, that wouldn't make sense with the rule change.

OOC-ly, I can't stand the rule. But I also think penalty kicks are a terrible way to decide a soccer match, and you don't see me calling for unlimited overtimes in the NSWC. That's the rule, whether I like it or not.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm

It won't affect my vote because I have no idea what that article is on about :P
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:

I wouldn't mind, consdering a similar rule is used in the RL WBC, provided you adjusted the scorinator to reflect it. But I don't even know if it's technically feasible to have different scoring probabilities in extra innings versus regulation. If you're using the standard scorinator, that wouldn't make sense with the rule change.

OOC-ly, I can't stand the rule. But I also think penalty kicks are a terrible way to decide a soccer match, and you don't see me calling for unlimited overtimes in the NSWC. That's the rule, whether I like it or not.

I share Greg's view of that particular rule (IIRC, it was introduced at the Beijing Olympics because whatever irrelevant organization is supposedly the "international governing body" for baseball was trying to convince the IOC not to kick baseball and softball out of the Olympics), though it probably wouldn't affect my vote one way or the other (except, possibly, as a tiebreaker of last resort).

As for adjusting the scorinator to reflect it, that would likely require a completely new scorinator. That's a project that I'm going to tackle eventually (I think my views regarding the flaws of the various baseball scorinators are well-known), but probably not until I actually decide to bid for another WBC. I can definitely include separate constants for scoring probability in regulation VS extra innings.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:38 am

Ah, that made me cringe when I read that article. I wouldn't mind it if we used it here, but in MLB? No, no, no.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:42 am

I am firmly against this both OOCly and ICly. "Texas tiebreaker" or whatever is gimmicky and I think the last time I saw it in an actual baseball game was Little League. It doesn't actually cut down on the length of games, because it makes it easier to score, so the game can continue on and on in extra innings. I wouldn't like to see this in international play or in MLB, because I think it's a transparent play for attention that compromises the way the game is played.

Now, as to whether or not we should use this in NS, I would oppose it, but if it were the judgment of the Council that we should incorporate this into future bids, then I would accept that outcome. I also agree with others that have expressed the opinion that should we implement it, a new scorinator would be required.

Sorry if I come off a little strong here. I hold no personal animus against anyone who supports this or wants to use it in their bid. It's a bit like the DH. I really don't like it, but am willing to accept it if a governing body decides so.

EDIT: It also wouldn't affect my vote unless it was literally the only difference. Other formatting, the host(s), etc. would play far more into my decision than using this rule.
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 am

Nova Anglicana wrote:

I am firmly against this both OOCly and ICly. "Texas tiebreaker" or whatever is gimmicky and I think the last time I saw it in an actual baseball game was Little League. It doesn't actually cut down on the length of games, because it makes it easier to score, so the game can continue on and on in extra innings. I wouldn't like to see this in international play or in MLB, because I think it's a transparent play for attention that compromises the way the game is played.

Now, as to whether or not we should use this in NS, I would oppose it, but if it were the judgment of the Council that we should incorporate this into future bids, then I would accept that outcome. I also agree with others that have expressed the opinion that should we implement it, a new scorinator would be required.

Sorry if I come off a little strong here. I hold no personal animus against anyone who supports this or wants to use it in their bid. It's a bit like the DH. I really don't like it, but am willing to accept it if a governing body decides so.

EDIT: It also wouldn't affect my vote unless it was literally the only difference. Other formatting, the host(s), etc. would play far more into my decision than using this rule.

I thought Texas tiebreaker was football. Anyway, I don't necessarily think we should be saying "Oh, it's a terrible rule, so we shouldn't use it even though it's the rule." I think penalty shootouts are trrrible and they should play unlimited sudden death overtime until someone scores, but unless FIFA actually listens to me, I would never vote for a bid that used that rule because it's not actually the rule.

Now, in a case where international and domestic have different rules, I think we can use either, similar to hockey, where bids have variously used the NHL postseason rules (play until someone scores) and the international rules with shootouts. I've supported both, and could support either one here as well provided we had a scorinator that reflected it. But if there's not an accurate scorinator, as I said, I wouldn't support I'm doing it anyway.

I'd also question why we were using an experimental minor league rule (runner on second) instead of the international rule (first and second) since if we want to use international rules, that's what we should do. Not some rule that's used in two low-minor league leagues.

Edit: They're apparently using this rule in the WBC as well instead of the international one. Never mind the last part.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Okay, this shows just how pathetic the real WBC is. Only one (yes, just one) of the players on the Israeli team is actually from Israel (Shlomo Lipetz). All of the other players on the roster are from the United States and happen to be Jewish, so they were allowed to identify themselves as Israeli to join the WBC. This is kind of laughable actually. There is also one coach who is actually from Israel, but all of the other coaches are American too.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm

The RL WBC is so terrible in so many ways. Here is what I can think of just off the top of my head.

1. One-game series. This is baseball! Games shouldn't be decided by one-game series. Even the championship is decided by one game! Infidels!
2. Designated hitter rule is imposed. What is this nonsense? I guess maybe they want to protect the pitchers so that they don't get injured in games that don't really mean anything, but then again, that shows just how insignificant the tournament is.
3. There are only sixteen teams. There really aren't enough countries into baseball to make the WBC anywhere near as successful as the World Cup for example.
4. Teams are not made up of people actually from the country that they represent. As stated with the Israel thing, this just shows how much of a joke the tournament is. About half of the teams have a U.S. born majority on their active roster.
5. Twenty-eight man roster. What the fuck?
6. The United States doesn't win. I'm sorry, but it has to be pointed out. There have been three WBCs and the United States' best place was fourth? What? I understand that they won't win every time, but when it comes to baseball, that is an American sport. It makes sense that Japan and DR would do well also, but for the US to just bomb every time makes no sense.
7. It is DURING THE MLB SEASON. What the hell? You have the tournament for all of the best baseball players when the most highly esteemed baseball league in the world is in its Spring Training? That is just bad planning.
8. Nobody watches. It is a big joke.

I will say that it did inspire the NS WBC, and in the NS world, the WBC is awesome, so that is good.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:The RL WBC is so terrible in so many ways. Here is what I can think of just off the top of my head.

1. One-game series. This is baseball! Games shouldn't be decided by one-game series. Even the championship is decided by one game! Infidels!
2. Designated hitter rule is imposed. What is this nonsense? I guess maybe they want to protect the pitchers so that they don't get injured in games that don't really mean anything, but then again, that shows just how insignificant the tournament is.
3. There are only sixteen teams. There really aren't enough countries into baseball to make the WBC anywhere near as successful as the World Cup for example.
4. Teams are not made up of people actually from the country that they represent. As stated with the Israel thing, this just shows how much of a joke the tournament is. About half of the teams have a U.S. born majority on their active roster.
6. The United States doesn't win. I'm sorry, but it has to be pointed out. There have been three WBCs and the United States' best place was fourth? What? I understand that they won't win every time, but when it comes to baseball, that is an American sport. It makes sense that Japan and DR would do well also, but for the US to just bomb every time makes no sense.
7. It is DURING THE MLB SEASON. What the hell? You have the tournament for all of the best baseball players when the most highly esteemed baseball league in the world is in its Spring Training? That is just bad planning.

I will say that it did inspire the NS WBC, and in the NS world, the WBC is awesome, so that is good.

I read some of these criticisms as being very American-centric. This isn't an indictment of you in any way, but I do want to make sure the RL WBC isn't unfairly maligned.

2: I hate the DH as much as any self-respecting NL fan, but it's the norm elsewhere.
3: The point of the WBC is to crown a champion, sure, but really it's also meant to be a vehicle for the sport to enter new grounds. The target of competition isn't the US, or the DR, or Japan, per se, but it's countries like Australia, which has a burgeoning Little League program but little professional talent, who are the real targets. Having the tournament be 16 teams is vital for getting all of those countries in.
4. Israel is kind of a special exception, because of their laws regarding Israeli status for the Jewish diaspora. Also, consider this in the context of other international sports: rules are pretty damn lax for declaring oneself to be a representative of another country's sports teams. If you take more general issue with that, go ahead, but it's unfair to applies that solely to the WBC.
6. It's a damned good thing that the USA doesn't win every time. The US doesn't make a point of actually getting its best players out there, only some of them choose to join. This is a much bigger deal in other countries, and I also refer back to point 3: part of the mission of this tournament is to expand the game.
7. Eh, spring training isn't the season. There's a big difference, I imagine. Also, this affects a lot of people, absolutely, but for the preponderance teams without many players in the MLB, it's no inconvenience.
8. I think the real concern with viewership is in the emerging markets, not the established markets, unless the WBC is grasping for money and needs even more American or Japanese TV revenue (which I don't think it does).
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:The RL WBC is so terrible in so many ways. Here is what I can think of just off the top of my head.

I read some of these criticisms as being very American-centric. This isn't an indictment of you in any way, but I do want to make sure the RL WBC isn't unfairly maligned.

2: I hate the DH as much as any self-respecting NL fan, but it's the norm elsewhere.
3: The point of the WBC is to crown a champion, sure, but really it's also meant to be a vehicle for the sport to enter new grounds. The target of competition isn't the US, or the DR, or Japan, per se, but it's countries like Australia, which has a burgeoning Little League program but little professional talent, who are the real targets. Having the tournament be 16 teams is vital for getting all of those countries in.
4. Israel is kind of a special exception, because of their laws regarding Israeli status for the Jewish diaspora. Also, consider this in the context of other international sports: rules are pretty damn lax for declaring oneself to be a representative of another country's sports teams. If you take more general issue with that, go ahead, but it's unfair to applies that solely to the WBC.
6. It's a damned good thing that the USA doesn't win every time. The US doesn't make a point of actually getting its best players out there, only some of them choose to join. This is a much bigger deal in other countries, and I also refer back to point 3: part of the mission of this tournament is to expand the game.
7. Eh, spring training isn't the season. There's a big difference, I imagine. Also, this affects a lot of people, absolutely, but for the preponderance teams without many players in the MLB, it's no inconvenience.
8. I think the real concern with viewership is in the emerging markets, not the established markets, unless the WBC is grasping for money and needs even more American or Japanese TV revenue (which I don't think it does).

I do not think that it accurately shows how baseball is meant to be played is what I am trying to say. Maybe that sounds very American-centric, but that is because it is, because baseball is the most American-centric sport in the world. While it is true that it exists in other countries, and it is unfair to overlook that, it is definitely not as evenly spread on a worldwide scale as a sport like soccer, and because of this, it seems like whenever international baseball happens, it is a flop, whether it be the WBC or the Olympics. International baseball simply does not work in real life.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Drawkland » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:Maybe that sounds very American-centric, but that is because it is, because baseball is the most American-centric sport in the world.

I have a pigskin that disagrees with you.

:p
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Drawkland wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:Maybe that sounds very American-centric, but that is because it is, because baseball is the most American-centric sport in the world.

I have a pigskin that disagrees with you.

:p

Well, there is that, but baseball is the national pastime, even if that statement is kind of outdated. The point being that baseball is a very American sport -- American as in the American continents. Baseball is very popular in the US and also Latinamerica, but the dream of all Latinamerican players is to play in the US for a professional team, so the sport is centered around the United States. It is also moderately popular in East Asia, but mostly in the Americas.
Last edited by Schiltzberg on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:I read some of these criticisms as being very American-centric. This isn't an indictment of you in any way, but I do want to make sure the RL WBC isn't unfairly maligned.

I do not think that it accurately shows how baseball is meant to be played is what I am trying to say. Maybe that sounds very American-centric, but that is because it is, because baseball is the most American-centric sport in the world.

And I see that there is room from improvement, for baseball to grow and expand beyond the Americas. Our norms may be not be suitable for other cultures and people who want to play the game, and because I want to encourage that growth, I take issue with denigrating those standards and ways of playing the game.
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports