NATION

PASSWORD

Games of the VI Olympiad - RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

You win some. You lose some. You get your name spelled right in some places, and wrong in others.

It's another day in the life of a sporty Bigtopian-Zwangzugian. Not just another day, granted--for June McKiegges, it more than likely represented the entirety of her competitive Olympic experience. Yet, it had been a full day, all things considered. She'd beaten Laura Hosea and Georgia Liggins, before going out to Veronica Hamilton. At least the crowd had been appreciative...

Upon being reassured that, in fact, a majority of the competitors in the fourth round would not have first names ending in A (the first half of the draw had scared her a little), June went back to the Olympic village. "Hey," sighed Rachel Pald, a Department of Transportation fellow. "Nice work."

"Thanks. You're here already? When do you start?"

"Not for a while, but it's the Opening Ceremony, you know?"

As it was not the opening ceremony, and June truthfully did not know, she shrugged.

"Anyway, is it true your last match took ten minutes, ninety-three seconds?"

June shrugged again. "Yeah. I...guess?"

"No, I mean, how long did it feel like it took?"

"I...you must know how it is. Just lose track of time, of everything, just get into things when I'm competing. But, I mean we had to walk around and switch sides a lot...eleven minutes?"

"Yeah."

June shrugged again.

Rachel tried not to roll her eyes too much. "Okay. Well, listen, people treat us like we know what we're doing, as far as the time dilation is concerned. But--"

"Does it matter? Because once I'm playing, I don't really care."

"Well, maybe you should. Haven't you noticed how tense everybody is? The government people, I mean, they really don't like being linked up to this."

"Give them the guide to time dilation or whatever," June sighed. "Rach, I'm tired, I want to sleep."

"There isn't an official guide."

"Whaddaya call this?" said June, ambling over to a computer and loading an e-mail document.

"What...?" Rachel trailed off.

There were bulletpoints everywhere. Places to visit in Lasft, some of the less scrutable TLAs and topics to probably avoid discussing with their representatives, "everything you need to know about time dilation" (page and a half. no square roots), and even extracts from the eccentric biologist Archibald Noonan's work on convergent evolution and the diversity of the human family.

"Who sent you this? Why haven't I got one?" said Rachel.

"Dunno, and dunno."

It was better than a shrug. Rachel took it. "Is this something the government would put together?"

"They're so, like, out of it."

"I know," Rachel said slowly. "But we only have six returning athletes..."
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Armorgames
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Armorgames » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 pm

ARMORGAMES NEWS

Archery - Men's Team first rounds
Basketball - Men's Matchday 1
Table Tennis - Men's/Women's Individual initial rounds

Wadomia
Armorgames
El Minan
Stachland
Mantwenic

Archery - Bob Windstrom, Ben Reckser, Don Janas
Basketball - See roster
Table Tennis - Mens - George Binca, Bryan Brunswick, Alex Lynche
Table Tennis - Womens - Erika Gurule, Laura Witham, Kay Flournoy

Hello, I am Malcom Harrison.

Lets start out day two of the Olympics with Archery.

Today was the Men's Team Rounds, and it started off pretty good for AG. In the first round, Armorgames beat North Chicanan 209-212. Everybody played really well and they looked like they knew what they were doing, even though these guys just picked up the sport a couple moths ago. All three men got multiple perfect shots and seemed very happy with their performance.

In the second round AG was matched up with Cyborg Holland. Unfortunate, AG lost by only one point. The score was 212-211. Bob Windstrom was the last Gamer to take his shot and he just missed a ten to tie up Cyborg Holland. This was a crushing defeat for these guys, but it is okay, they have time to rebound.

The basketball team did not play today, and I have no idea why. Since there is five teams in their group, AG got the off day which is good since they are still in the U-18 IBC. I hope the team didn't fly out here and then have to fly back. But, AG is 10-0 in the IBC thing and they are the number one seed in the payoffs.

I also forgot to talk about swimming yesterday. I apologize for that and I will talk about it right now.

In the Men's 400m Freestyle heats Neil Piket came in 49th with a time off 3:48.23. Alex Briggot came in 78th with a time off 3:50.77. The cutoff for the finals was 3:43.51.

Next up the Men's 400m Medley heats. David Stocks got 45th with 4:17.32 for his time. Alex Briggot got 52nd and a time off 4:19.15. The cutoff time was 4:10.66.

Alrighty now the Women's 400m Medley heats. Sonya Crenshaw came in 64th with a time off 4:53.25. Christine Risley got 74th and her time was 4:58.17. Cutoff for finals was 4:35.23. So, neither of them came even close to making it.

Now back to stuff that happened today.

Lets now go to table tennis. The children of AG have always liked table tennis, so that is why there is 6 participants in it. First, lets talk about the men. The men participating are George Binca, Bryan Brunswick, and Alex Lynche. George Binca beat Rick Young in straight sets 11-5 11-1 11-5 11-9. George is a very good table tennis player and a lot is expected from him. Next up is
Bryan Brunswick. He is also a pretty good player, but he lost. Bryan won one set against Gaf Urbo. The scores went like this, 9-11 5-11 11-5 6-11 3-11. And last up, Alex Lynche. Alex beat Dou-Meen Sin in the first round in five sets. His scores were 15-13 9-11 12-10 11-7 13-11.

Next for the second round. Lets start with the bad news first. George Binca lost to Wiston Wahia 11-4 4-11 11-8 6-11 8-11 9-11. Well, there goes George. He didn't really stand a chance. But now for the good news which is always better then the bad news. Alex Lynche beat Yury Sokolovski 10-12 8-11 10-12 11-6 11-6 11-7 13-11.

Now, onto the third round. Alex Lynche won again, this time beating Gim In-won 15-17 12-10 14-12 11-5 5-11 13-15 12-10. Alex has played really well and it is really fun to watch him play. It would be awesome to see him win a medal.

Now for the women. Erika Gurule got the bye in the first round. Laura Witham beat Dipad Uhol 6-11 14-12 11-8 11-8 11-7. Laura played surprisingly well. I don't think anybody expected a win for her. Kay Flournoy also won, beating Debbie Brown 10-12 11-8 5-11 13-11 14-12 11-9.. So that means all of the AG girls are into the second round.

Now on to the second round, were everybody played very good. Erika Gurule beat Natalie Perry 11-9 8-11 2-11 11-6 11-7 11-6. This is another surprising win. Kay Flournoy also won beating Alexandria Dame 11-9 11-6 11-6 6-11 11-8. I still can't believe she has won twice. And last up is Laura Witham who also won. She beat Allegra Croce 8-11 11-7 10-12 11-8 11-6 12-10. So that mean that all of the girls have moved onto the third round!

But those three women could not all win in the third round. First off, Laura Witham lost to Gloria Duke 8-11 11-7 9-11 6-11 7-11. So that is the end to her run. Next up is Erika Gurule. She lost to Kia Macias 3-11 4-11 8-11 12-10 11-5 5-11. So that is two out of the three gone. And the last player is Kay Flournoy. She is the only good news to come out of this round with her win over Gina Yuko. She won 9-11 11-4 11-7 11-2 11-9. So she is on to the next round.

That is all we have from here! See you tomorrow!
Last edited by Armorgames on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd place in 12th World Lacrosse Championships
2nd in the inaugural U-18 IBC.

Ma wiki

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Vekaiyu Earns First Medal in Swimming
Reporting for V3 News Services, Rin Slakori

CAFUNDEU - Despite the disappointments from Day One's swimming results, a medal made possible by newcomer Yeri Mikislavi. Mikislavi took bronze in the mens 100m breaststroke event. His time of 59.31 seconds narrowly beat Philip Ments, but was a full half second behind Prudenzio De Angelis from , who seemed to be on his game today.

"I'm grateful I was able to honor my country," Mikislavi beamed. "Hopefully it's the sign of more success to come."

Unfortunately, Salvatoro Supare missed the finals event by two hundredths of a second. He could not be reached for comment.

Vekaiyu's mens gymnastics team sent four athletes to the final rounds. Kaslo Nuveru and Yiisu Besatera will be featured on all events round, while 2010 silver medalist Stapen Skilusi will be on the rings. Kaslo Nuveru will also be on the rings and the horizontal bar, where he will be joined by Enlil Vosteru. Stapen Skilusi will also be on the pommelhorse. The Vekaiyun team showed excellent strength during their routines, particularly the veteran Kaslo Nuveru whose routine on the rings was near flawless.

"[I'm] definitely happy about my routine," Nuveru said after his performance, "but I will continue to work on it. My dismount was slightly off, but I'll be concentrating on my entire routine."

Other happenings across the Olympic Gaming Area included wins by the women's beach volleyball and indoor volleyball teams. The Vekaiyun womens indoor volleyball team defeated the paltry Akbarabad team in three sets to go undefeated in the early goings of the tournament, while
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Bolling: Good Evening Darmen, I'm Mat Bolling here in Cafundeu at the games of the Sixth Olympiad. Alongside me is Brooks McBriar.

McBriar: Hello, and thank you for tuning into DBSC(Darmen Broadcasting Sports Chanel). Tonight we'll take a look at the first two days of the Sixth Olympiad, which are taking place here, in Lafst, Cafundeu.

Bolling: Lets begin our coverage with the Individual Ranking Round of the Mens Archery Competion.

McBriar: The Darmeni Archers didn't fare to well in the first event of the Sixth Olympiad. Beattie Canadeo finished 110th out of 162 competitors. He was the highest finishing Darmeni Archer. Herm Llewellyn and Ben McCay finished 115th and 121st respectively.

Bolling: The next event of the day that included Darmeni athletes was the First Round of the Mens Individual Badminton Competition. Thommie Voeckler was defeated by Sebas Farasi of Euskirribakondara, 22-20, 20-22, 12-21. Despite the loss, Voeckler advanced to the Second Round. Charles Greganson lost to Marlin Donchex of Bergnovinaia, 21-11, 12-21, 14-15. Phillip Hushovd was the only Darmeni athlete to win in the First Round, defeating Dan Howard of Shofercia, 21-10, 21-16.

McBriar: In the Second Round, Thommie Voeckler lost to Ralph Smith of Wadomia, 16-21, 17-21. Phillip Hushovd defeated Joe Drainer of Kosovoe, 21-15, 19-21, 21-12.

Bolling: In the Third Round, Hushovd lost to Deon Goss, of Krytenia, 21-23, 17-21.

McBriar: In the next event that included a Darmeni Athlete, the Mens Soccer competition, Darmen defeated Hakkland 4-0. It is looking like Darmen might be able to fly past the rest of the group and get itself a medal in this competition. Zach Preston scored two goals, while Dan Baker and Tor Tong Lee each added one. Troy Osborne was spectacular in goal.

Bolling: In Womens soccer, Darmen drew with Khabarovsk Krai, 1-1. The womens team has shown quite an improvement over their poor play in the WSWC.

McBriar: And now we turn to the Mens Tennis Competition. In the First Round, John Hoogliand was defeated by Stanley Charles of Bergnovinaia, 6-2, 6-4. Elliot Sprecher, Darmen's best Tennis player, went up against Cris Mortpont of Cosumar. Sprecher won, 7-6, 6-7, 6-4.

Bolling: In the Second Round, Sprecher defeated Anthony Zelers of Armorgames, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.

McBriar: In the Third Round, Sprecher dominated Reginald Maxwell of Chenkorya, we think, 6-1, 6-2. It looked as though Sprecher would be unstopable in the next round.

Bolling: Unfourtunatly though, Sprecher was defeated by Samuel Mekwebe of from Mesoland, 7-5, 4-6, 8-10, in a marathon match. Sprecher said afterwards that he was very disapointed in the loss, but he also said that he probably would have lost in the next round anyway, since he was exauhsted.

McBriar: Now lets take a look at the Second Days results.

Bolling: The first event of the day for Darmen was a Demonstration event, Baseball. Darmen would be going up against Sibirsky. Darmen's offense wasn't present, and Sibirsky won easily, 4-0.

McBriar: The next event for Darmen, was the Team Archery Event. In the First Round, Darmen defeated Greenjungle, 213-210. In the Second Round, Darmen was defeated by Jasiyun, 223-214.

Bolling: In the Mens Basketball Competition, Darmen defeated Sibirsky, 93-74. Point Guard Scott Perry said that they played the game in honor of the baseball team.

McBriar: Now lets take a look at the Mens Doubles Badminton Competition. Phillip Hushovd and Charles Greganson combined to form Darmens's only Doubles team, and they did quite well, exceding their expectations.

Bolling: In the First Round they faced Brad Smith and Shaun Harlem from Unitopolis, and the Darmeni's won, 20-22, 21-8, 21-15.

McBriar: In the Second Round they faced Andy Rosch and Randy Peta from Michael VII, and were defeated 19-21, 14-21.

Bolling: And now we turn to the Mens Road Race and Darmens first Medal. Darmen really suprised others from around the world, as Lukas Vogler took second and the Silver Medal with a time of 6 hours, 23 minutes, and 55 seconds. Scott Perry finished in fifth, just narrowly missing out on a medal of his own. Perry finished with a time of 6:24.01. Thats only six seconds that seperated him from Vogler.

McBriar: Brady Pittenger, Sterling Jones, and Tim Prince also competed for Darmen in the event. Pittenger finished 29th, Jones 42nd, and Prince 76th.

Bolling: And now joining us is the man himself via Skype, Mr. Vogler.

Vogler: Thanks for having me guys.

McBriar: What was it like being Darmen's first medal winner?

Vogler: Very exciting. I felt so proud to represent my country, and this medal only adds to my excitment.

Bolling: Would you rather have a Gold medal than the Silver?

Vogler: Of course, everyone would. To hear the Darmeni National Anthem get played would be great. But Silver's good too, I can take it.

Bolling: Well Mr. Vogler, it's been great to have a little chat with you.

Vogler: Thanks again for having me on.

McBriar: In Mens Handball, Darmen was defeated by New Montreal States, 32-22. In the last event of the day, the Darmeni Mens Volleyball team was defeated by Astograth, 25-23, 11-25, 25-17, 21-25, 10-15.

Bolling: Until tomorrow folks, I'm Mat Bolling...

McBriar: And I'm Brooks McBriar...

Both: Saying 'Good Night' from the Games of the Sixth Olympiad in Lafst, Cafundeu.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:14 pm

"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm

OOC: I love that, and you mentioned me :lol:

North Chicanan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North Chicanan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm

North Chicanan Daily Rabbler
We're In The Olympics?

Going Well? Medal Threat in Men's Gymnastics, Everything Else is Iffy.
Hayden Pierre, St. John's

Finn Hewett scored an impressive 95 in Mens Qualifying for Gymnastics, but the boys as a whole weren't as lucky.

It pretty much summed up the second day at the summer Olympics in Cafundéu, where the team is not expected to medal much (although getting more than a single Bronze is the NOCs stated goal). A few good points, a lot of badness, and altogether makes it a bland experience for the folks back home.

In Men's Gymnastics Hewett was the only Northern to make the Finals in any event, scoring both an all-around slot as well as one spot in the Vault Finals - his specialty. The team however missed out on a slot for a team medal, due in a small part to Quenten Hightower's fall on rings, giving him only a 5 and change for points and diluting a decent effort by the team. Hewett finished second overall and with a bit of luck could score a medal on the 22nd.

Other bright spots for the Northern squad were in Volleyball and Equestrian. The Mens Volleyball team scored a quick three-setter victory over Cosumar while beach side team of Jack Finnegan and Carlo Lombardi won their first match of group play. The womens beach teams unfortunately dropped both their opening matches, as did national champions Jacob Prince and Vince Fjil. The Dressage team meanwhile starts in a respectable 8th place in the team side, while national champion Katie Price sits in 11th after Day 1 of Dressage. price, who is also working with the Eventing and Jumping teams, is hoping for a strong finish to propel the Northerners towards their first medals in the event. However, with the team as a whole 12 points behind third place due to a poor finish by Callie Aidensen may hurt the team's prospects.

However, our inexperience internationally showed in Handball as we lost in the group opener. The Mens Road Race went badly with one DNF and one 125th place finish - a poor result for a team hoping to steal the spotlight. The Archery Team was also ousted quickly following the very poor showing in the individual competition, losing by three to Armorgames in the opening round.

A surprise bright spot was the Northern Softball team scoring a 6-2 victory over Sibirsky, giving some hopes for the ladies of advancing from the group stage - their own stated goal for the mostly-amateur side. The Baseball team was not as lucky, losing 10-1to Michael VII in opening day play.

Day 3 of the Olympics will see the Hoops try to rebound from their random loss to Carpathia and Ruthenia, the Womens Gymnastics team try to make the finals, the Northern Ponies hope to make up ground in Equestrian and two slim medal chances in 10m Mens Synchro Diving and the Womens Road Race. Channel 2 is broadcasting the games in HD, with 2.0 and 2.1 covering Womens Gymnastics, the Hoops's second footy match and Swimming. 2Kids will become Equestrian and Weightlifting today, while 2Sports will hope for an Olympic bump by showing football and tennis. Ch.2's local branches (2.5 on the dial) will cover cycling, canoe, fencing and the archery finals. 2Report will not be covering sports at the time, although there is talk as the calendar gets more crowded the news channel would be used to show events. Ch.2 is also in talks with Telesport and start-up Versus to help coverage. The NOC is expected to answer questions in the Assembly about why the television calendar was not set in advance, with Tele24/24English and CityTV both wanting to gain the rights to the next Winter and Summer Games.

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Euskirribakondara wins BRONZE!!!!

Postby Euskirribakondara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Euskirribakondara is celebrating... all the kids are playing, all women are singing... everyone is happy!

We won our first-ever medal at the Olympics!!!!!

The honours are for Joan Kargarestela at Men's 62Kg Weightlifting. 7 Points behind the winner, and 6 Points behind the silver; this Euskirribakondarian managed to get a medal for the country.
Euskirribakondara: Prosperity In Diversity
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO)

WHF and WorldVision, Entries and Results
32nd World Hit Festival Winner

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Ceremony of the Olympic Games

Postby Euskirribakondara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Broadcast from EUSK1, the main TV channel of Euskirribakondara
During the twenty minutes delay, the EUSK1 TV channel had to show videos of the venues used in the Olympics; and advertisements. Nevertheless, the filled "Obelisco Monumental" played host to one of the best opening ceremonies, the Euskal have ever seen.

The surprise of the night was the strange tribe from an unknown country.... it appeared out of nowhere! Dances were shown, and it was really great. Erik Stock Market, a Cafundelense artist, (80 years old) was enjoyed by the audience. Alana Borghi, was also present (She's already known in Euskirribakondara for various memorable photos of her).

As in the Winter Olympics organized in Cafundéu, a stand-up comedian was brought to the stage. Its portuguese-speaking show was understood by all Euskirribakondarians, thanks to the knowledge of that language (40% of population); and the excellent translation given by Janete OCAMPO. The improvised track in which a motorcycle expert performed impressive moves, also came out of nowhere.

When the delegations came in, Kelssek came first. Chenkorya entered 20th (there's a lot of Chenkoryans in Euskirribakondara, that's why we mention the country); whilst Euskirribakondara entered in the 32th position, with one of the largest delegations. A lot of Euskal where at Obelisco Monumental, and they made a mini-Carnival when the delegation came in... also Cafundelenses gave them a warm welcome. Landau Institute entered 55th, and it was not so well received (our commentators even heard booing) due to the Cafundelense rivalry with them. No nation from our region was present at these games. (One thing to note is that the name of Euskirribakondara was spelled in the correct way by almost all commentators).

The most impressive gest was the one of the Cafundelense fans, when they lifted money notes and waved them in the direction of their delegation, the last one to enter.

According to the programme, Emperor Raúl I, was going to open the Games... but the Games were officially opened by Marcos Mentor, President of the Cafundelense Olympic Committee.

The Olympic Torch was lit, and according to rumours, the big fire that the audience could see, was not controlled at all :palm:. There was risk of a fire. Our commentators were congratulated by other commentators, for spelling correctly the name of the 103 delegations present.

PARABÉNS CAFUNDÉU!!!!! A CEREMÔNIA FOI MARAVILHOSA!

After this broadcast, the normal programming of EUSK1 started.

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Euskirribakondara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Broadcast from EUSK1, the main TV channel of Euskirribakondara
Armán VONOK and Ulía NESTEGARRIDIA welcome to the third broadcast of the program that shows what's going on with the Euskirribakondarian Olympic Team. It is broadcasted in english, so it can appeal to a broader audience. The set is all lightened up... and it is highly decorated; because the first bronze medal was won.

ARMÁN = (Dancing) We did it! We did it! We did it! We did it!
ULÍA = Oh... yes we did. Yes we did!!!! Welcome Euskirribakondarians. We're celebrating our first bronze medal.
ARMÁN = Yes... you saw it. It was GREAT!!!!
ULÍA = By special order of the king, all channels had to broadcast that Weightlifting event, when it was clear that Joan Kargarestela had the chance to win a medal.
ARMÁN = Exactly!!! All the country was paying attention carefully. When Robert Laquerre (LEN) stopped at 305 points.... The heart of all Euskirribakondarians was beating at unison. There where just 4 players left.
ULÍA = Nick Chass (CYB) stopped at 308... And then, it was our turn... Joan managed to get to 316. We had won a medal!!!!
ARMÁN = Celebration started throughout the country, we had our first medal!. (Except for Chenkoryan immigrants, their country athletes haven't received a single medal)
ULÍA = Yes!! (Dancing again) We did it! We did it! We did it!
ARMÁN = We may haven't won the silver or the gold, which went to Michael Nairn, from the Kytler Peninsulae and Mr. Lopez, from Franklim; respectively. They had 322 and 323 points.
ULÍA = That medal is the first one for Franklim in these games; and the third medal for KYP, which already managed to get a silver and a gold.
ARMÁN = My respects to Joan Kargarestela. :bow:
ULÍA = Mine too... And the king has announced that he will be given money-prizes, royalties, properties, order-of-honour medals; for winning this medal. And that will happen too with all the medallists from Euskirribakondara.
ARMÁN = If that's for Bronze... I wonder what will happen when we win a gold.
ULÍA = I think the whole country will be upside down.
ARMÁN = Well, we could've also made another bronze medal.... damn you three seconds!!!
ULÍA = Exactly! Benhamín Kersigaldea got the 4th place (out of 157) at the Cycling Men's Road Race.
ARMÁN = Just for three seconds. That's though.
ULÍA = Yes... if they gave medals to 4th places, we'd be a lot happier (if that's possible ;) )
ARMÁN = In the race we had five Euskal athletes. Hacinto Guaxatá always lead with Benhamín. But Hacinto finished 31st.

ULÍA = Our other athletes in this event were Usaín Goja, who finished 10°. Maorí Corkoa finished 74° and the ethnic-russian Petr Kuxalin finished 116°.
ARMÁN = Well, we had a lot of sports today as well.
ULÍA = Yes... and the good things to point our are Gymnastics, where our team had scores over 90.000. And where we qualified to Floor and Pommel (Hoan Paulo Tertzoperrau and Kamo Tarrastabiloa).
ARMÁN = Handball men, where we lost.
ULÍA = That's not good... we're pointing out the good things!
ARMÁN = Well.. anyway I had to mention it.
ULÍA = And Álbaro Basilias advanced to the final stages of Table Tennis after winning the first, second and third round. Yay!
ARMÁN = Our other athletes in this sport were Dou-Meen Sin and Manfre Nielesakeuska... they were both eliminated in the first round.
ULÍA = In Women's Table Tennis Laura Muyskagoanu was eliminated in the first round; and Ainhoa and Vera Bakataloa were eliminated in the second round.
ARMÁN = That's wrong... Ainhoa advanced to the third round, and THERE she was eliminated.
ULÍA = Oh yes... sorry. Oopsy!
ARMÁN = In weightlifting our girls finished 19° and 20°, Rikela Agaresta and Danda Xanbeldakura.
ULÍA = The Men's Indoor Volleyball games started today. However, our group didn't played today. So there's no result there.
ARMÁN = On Badminton, our duets were eliminated in the second round. That's Sebas Farasi and Aleksander Harrikesola; and Lisa Andreasola and Gida Coa.
ULÍA = On Men's Basketball we won over Capitalizt SLANI. 85 - 78. Points for us. Yay!
ARMÁN = What else?.. Hmmmm... On Archery, our men's team was eliminated in the second round by Perahikia.
ULÍA = Oh... here's something good! On Beach Volleyball both male duets won (Santiago Ramkaldea and Luís Santakruseka); but both female duets lost (Daniele Gafora, Xaka Xerubastea and Alehai Sanbutsen, Mone Kauldelkarrea).
ARMÁN = Well, you win sometimes.. you lose sometimes.
ULÍA =Anyway, there's something else to point out. We are one of the 28 nations (out of 103) that have a medal... yay!!!
ARMÁN = And also, on every venue we see our flag.... yay!!!
ULÍA = Yes... that's something good too. :)
ARMÁN = Today demonstration sports kicked off as well.
ULÍA = The Estádio Municipal Fundopozo, Urubu Landfill, Juízo Sisters' School were the venues used for these events.
ARMÁN = Yes. Rugby Sevens, Baseball, Softball and Gaelic Football were today's sports.
ULÍA = We won over Chetkosk (28-19) on Rugby Sevens. (Which puts us 2°in the group)
ARMÁN = We didn't played today on Baseball.
ULÍA = We won 6-7 over Iglesian Archipelago (Which puts us 2° in the group)
ARMÁN = Nevertheless, on Gaelic Football we were miserably defeated
ULÍA = What else would you expect? We didn't know Gaelic Football existed, at all? :palm:
ARMÁN = We just found out when we read the events list of these games. :rofl:
ULÍA = I know!... Men were defeated by An Blascaod Mor
ARMÁN = That sound very Gaelic. It may be their national sport.
ULÍA = Actually, I think it is.
ARMÁN = Damn it!
ULÍA = And Women were defeated by Wolfmanne.
ARMÁN = That sounds savage!
ULÍA = Please, stop the comments against other nations.
ARMÁN = Ok.
ULÍA = Tomorrow, six medals will be given.
ARMÁN = One in Road Cycling, One in Diving, Two in Swimming, and Two in Weightlifting.
ULÍA = We've already been eliminated in the heats of those swimming events (400m Medley), and on Diving our team is not that good.
ARMÁN = Our team is Marko Kaspel and Adrian Thomson. They should be good.
ULÍA = Yes, but they are not so good in 10m Platform.
ARMÁN = So, our medal chances are just in Cycling and Weightlifting.
ULÍA = Exactly. On Men's 69Kg, Sargis Beldegarrian has a skill of 0.92.... So he may bring either a Silver or a Bronze.
ARMÁN = And on women's 63Kg, Bizi Tronkoso is a world-class athlete. With her we may even win a GOLD!!!!!!!!
ULÍA = And we have Cycling too. It's the road race for women.
ARMÁN = There we have five athletes... two ethnic azeri cyclists (sisters Demorzade)... and three euskal cyclists.
ULÍA = Yes, those three euskal are Dina Txomeahauregi, Karolina Txabes and Binda Txabes.
ARMÁN = And in that order is our chance to win medal, from least to most.
ULÍA = Which means, that the medal may be on the neck of one of the two Txabes girls.
ARMÁN = Let's hope it is our girls.
ULÍA = Well, I want to enjoy Lasft nightlife... so I'm taking off.
ARMÁN = Just as me. Goodbye audience!
ULÍA = Let's keep celebrating for our medal!
ARMÁN = Just like Emperor Raúl I did before the opening ceremony?
ULÍA = Yeah... let's get as drunk as him.
ARMÁN = Hahahaha.... Just kidding!
ULÍA = Bye!
ARMÁN = Bye!

Camwood
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Camwood » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

PBC Sports

Olympics

After Two Days of Play

Camwood has started out with somewhat of a bang doing good in some competions, but only ok in others.

Curtis Quan, an archer, came in seventy third, htting his way to six hundred fifty two points. Other Archers such as Dennis Cawthon and joesphCulpepper are in the top one hundred and ten. Camwood's men's football team beated Bucknia three to zero showing everyone that the Camian National football team is for real. However the Women's team lost two nothing to Carastoga. Camwood's Tennis player Trevor Arnold made it all the way to the Round of Sixteen before being beat in the Men's Singles. Gary Wines riding his Bike in the Men's Road Race placed in sventy first out of one hundred fifty seven positons. (there were ast least twent DNF's that all finshed with a tie in 157th) The Camian Men's Indoor volleyball team won in matchday one against Sargossa. The Camwood Men's Basketball team suffered a loss to Civil Citizenry. And that is the results of the first two days of play in the sixth olympiad.
The Republic of Camwood
Demonym: Camian | Trigramme: CMW | Population: 80 Million
Air Camwood
cbcsport.cmw
Champions of:
Keisler Cup - U13 Baseball Tournament
Fourth
WLC 12
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Vulshainian Olympic News

Vulshain Still Plagued by Bad Luck: Day 2 Just as Bad as Day 1

Hello everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN's Vulshainian Olympic News where the 2011 VI Summer Olympics are being hosted in Lasft, Cafundeu.

Despite everyone's high hopes, including some of our competitors, Vulshain is still struggling. Con Persakis was the only member of Vulshain's men's gymnastics team to qualify. "I was surprised that many of my comrades didn't qualify. I'm not sure how I made it and they didn't to be honest."

In archery, Vulshain's male archers were beaten by the team from Vekaiyu, who later went on to be defeated by Jasĭyun's archers. Hopefully, the women's archery team will do much better. I hope!

In beach volleyball, things don't look good for either the men's and the women's teams, as they both are struggling. The equestrian team is also struggling, with only Latasha Alejandra having the highest spot, tying with Henry Edwards of Liventia for twenty-first place in the Dressage event.

Despite his best efforts, Adelbert Helfried placed seventh in the Men's 400m Freestyle. "I guess I overexerted myself out there," he told us barely able to talk from being out of breath. Many of our weightlifters didn't win either.

Many of our athletes are feeling depressed and disheartened by this bad luck. Con Persakis' display seemed to lift morale as his spirited somersault and reverse-flip in mid-air seemed to wow the judges. "That's the only thing I can think of that allowed me to qualify." Sadly, his teammates' flawless and perfectly executed moves and acrobatic displays weren't enough to excit the judges. "I don't know what I did wrong! I thought my stunts were perfect!" A saddened Leon Frey wasn't the only one confused. Coaches and staff are also puzzled. "I don't know what to make of it. Vulshain's athletes are giving well over 150%, and they're still struggling. These athletes have practiced and practiced, until they can do their moves in their sleep, and still they can't win. I just wish I knew what we're doing wrong," one of the gymnastics coaches commented to VCNMN.

Tomorrow, we have the Men's Synchronized 10m Platform, as well as the women's artistic gymnastics qualification matches. We also have several swimming events taking place. Many, especially me, are counting on the our female gymnastics and swimmers, especially Canxami Nokastre in her swimming matches. "I know everyone is saddened by the bad luck we've been having. I hope to break that curse over us." Canxami Nokastre has been training day and night, practicing every spare minute she has to prepare herself for her big day tomorrow. Rebekka and Alania Reinhilde have been training non-stop, too, and were thus too busy to talk to as they are also determined to break this bad luck curse that hangs over the Vulshainian delegation. Coline Konstancja, Prince Erik Rainard's girlfriend, has been practicing as well.

"We came here to win, not have our hopes and dreams crushed. I'm not going to lie down and be defeated." The other female gymnasts are also practicing hard for tomorrow, determined to qualify. Even the divers and weightlifters are pushing themselves to the limit in order to prepare themselves. They were too busy to talk with us as they were dead set on training to win tomorrow.

Many are hoping that tomorrow will be much better.

This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN reporting live from Lasft, Cafundeu, and wishing all of Vulshain's athletes who are competing tomorrow good luck.
Last edited by Vulshain on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferkas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Disappointment in Day 2

Cycling Fails To Deliver

Despite the high hopes coming off of Hillary Dax's suprise gold medal performance on day one, day to of the Sixth Olympiad saw no major Ferkian finishes, culminating in what has been described as a "terribly sub-par" showing in the Mens Cycling Mass Start event.

In the Judo competition Max Durfield lost in his first round of the 60kg weight class, surprising no one. Next to lose was Natalie Ezelbe in the first round of the Womens Judo competiton, 48kg class. She then proceeded to lose in the Repechage round, which as far as can be told means she is out of the competition. None of the entrants in the shooting events advanced out of the first round, for both men and women.

Breaking the pattern was James Limp, who won his first round in the tennis competition, reminding most Ferkians that we actually have tennis players. Continuing that theme was Reginald Maxwell, who not only won his match, but did so by dominating just two sets, and David Jusa also won his first round game. However, Jusa lost in his round two match, as did Limp. Amazingly enough, Maxwell won his second round match. That streak would not last though, as Maxwell was finally crushed in his third round match, forever reinforcing the idea that Ferkian's should stick to the oval. The Mens Badminton pair lost their first round match also.

The final event of the day with major Ferkian participation was the Mens Cycling Mass Start event, with several entrants who were billed as possible medal contenders, or at least riders with a chance of making an impact. As such it was shown live on several major channels, allowing the public an excellent opportunity to watch our athletes fall well short of glory. Marvin Peton and Nathaniel Harper were considered to be the best shots at a strong performance, however the two finished in the less than stellar 47th and in the case of Harper, did not finish at all. After Peton the next finisher was Brandon Urdot in 101st place. The final finisher was Charles Marquet in 144th place.

Both Harper and Matthew Millerton, who was ranked only slightly behind Harper and Peton, failed to finish after being involved in what seems to have been a severe crash just past the 10km mark. In fact, the two became entangled with each other when Harper tried to move around Millerton, who hit a bump in the road and swerved in front of Harper. The two then crashed out, by the time they had recovered they pack was far gone. Harper was lead off the course by medical personnel, and Millerton tried to continue on. He made it roughly two more kilometers before crashing off the course and into a tree. He then forced himself back onto the course, ignoring the pleas of medical personnel, making it only a few more meters before falling off his bike and onto the road. At that point he was forcibly lead off the course by medical personnel as the last of the other racers went past him. It is believed that he suffered a concussion in the first accident, but tried to continue on anyway.

After the event was over a member of the Olympic Team staff commented saying that, "Millerton displayed an excellent amount of determination today. However, following his second crash and third crashes the decision was made by personnel from Cafundeu to remove him from the field. He is currently in stable condition."
Political Compass: -7.88 Economic, -4.41 Social

Natatnat Island
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Natatnat Island » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Still no success

Success still seems to be avoiding the Natatnat Island Olympic team, and poor performances in both Equestrianism, Cycling have weakened the team further, there is a feeling of nervousness among the athletes as we wonder whether luck will arrive.
Last edited by Natatnat Island on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The States of Natatnat Island

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:59 pm

"Hello, and welcome to the News Channel of the Shofercian Special Forces, giving you rough and unbiased Olympic coverage. ATTENTION! HUT!"
"Why do you do this to our viewers? Do you like to be watched with the viewers standing Don? AT EASE!"
"Well I always wanted to be a General, Rachel. Walk around, looking all important, bossing around men who saw more combat than I ever did, and general being hailed. What's wrong with that?"
"Your inability to stay on topic. Let's discuss the team's performance, shall we?"
"What's there to discuss? It's been rather disappointing. In the Paralympics, despite sending teams to compete in only two categories out of five, we took eighth place, and tied for second in Biathlon. At the Sixth Winter Olympics we took seventh place. Our team is ranked 6th in hockey. We're not used to losing. What place are we in Rachel?"
"Erm, tied for 24th. We're in the top half, which is rather pathetic for Shofercia."
"We'll have experts on in a bit, to try to explain why we're doing so poorly. Now, let's take a look at the results, and hope that not all is as gloomy as it seems."

"In the Archery Ranking Round, Rob Hoodin got 11th, while the rest of the team failed. The women's team fared much worse."
"In Men's Badminton, Jimmy Shot passed the first three rounds, he's got a shot! In Women's Badminton, Sammi Shot and Kelly Clark passed the first three rounds. Way to go girls, Badminton is the sport to watch!"
"In Women's Basketball, Team Shofercia lost to Carpathia and Ruthenia by 1 point. Way to NOT go girls!"
"Don, I love your optimism. It's perfect for women's fencing summary, where - we lost."
"In swimming, Danny Ivanov qualified for the Men's 400 meter freestyle. Go Danny!"
"Valerie Staker also qualified for the 100 meter butterfly. Go Valerie!"
"In weightlifting - bah! Who weightlifts when you can shoot?"

"In Men's Football, our team delivered a surprising victory, over Jimmy Fredette."
"Racher, why does our football team winning surprise you?"
"No reason Don :P"
"In Women's Football, the Shofercian Eagles fought hard against Mangolona, and ended up winning 3-2. If the girls work hard, they can get it done! Not to mention that sweaty girls are hot!"
"While men usually have only one thing on their mind, Peter Selski actually thought about his competition, and went on to deliver the first Bronze Medal for Team Shofercia in Judo! Go Peter!"
"And if our athletes win a medal, they're automatically guaranteed to participate in the next Olympic Games. Meanwhile Patricia Pudding was defeated in women's Judo, but came very close to winning the bronze."
"Then came Shooting, with Andrei Metkiy failing to qualify. What was that Don?"
"Well, men have their moments too :P"
"Andrei Udaloy qualified, but wasn't as accurate as necessary to win a medal. *sighs* Men. I should note that most of the Gold Medals, in the previous Olympics, were won by women!"
"Yes, thank you for that reminder, Rachel. Shall I note that in Women's Air Rifle, the women didn't even qualify? I guess Caitlin Damage's rating of invincibility took some damage, eh?"
"We're going to go on a commercial break now, and when we come back, Donny boy might be in the hospital. Stay tuned!"

"Ok, so we can legally advertise this on this channel?"
"Yes! Oh, and by the way - you're on the air!"
"Shit! I mean, erm, run the damn commercial!"

"Is your country run by an evil dictator, who buys a yacht from Ebenezer Scrooge, instead of funding education? Or an ethnically racist madman? The Shofercian Special Forces can help. We have over- err liberated numerous corrupt regimes, where the people are much better off. Just visit http://www.liberateme.edu to get educated about how YOU can help YOUR country!"

"And we're back. Only to tell you that in Tennis - we didn't so well. By the way Rachel - those moves you were showing me were awesome!"
"Glad you liked them Don. Beach Volleyball, the men lost while the women won - and we know that women typically do the work in Shofercia."
*cough* "Peter Selski" *cough*

"Let's take a look at Day 2, shall we Don?"
"The Men's Archery team lost."
"Unfortunately, so did Men's Basketball, but they have more games to play. The Archers don't."
"In Men's Doubles, Keller Clark and Jimmy Shot showed considerable skill in making it through the first three rounds. Kelly Clark and Sammy Shot also made it, after a considerable battle in the second round!"
"In Cycling our performance was equally embarrassing. Did the cyclists get flat tires or something?"
"Our Equestrians fared no better. Did they feed the horses?"
"Rod Remiasz was the only Shofercian to qualify for Gymanstics. Go Rod!"
"Meanwhile, in Swimming, Danny Ivanov lost by .14 of a second. Come on - nobody deserves to lose by that much!"
"No they don't Don, no they don't. That was just wrong, on so many levels! And Valerie Staker also failed the next qualification round. By 0.04 of a second! What is it with these swimmers?"
"Men's Table Tennis players also failed to qualify. What is going on?"
"As did the female tennis players. Cho Proishodit?"

"In indoor volleyball, the MEN earned a victory over Kellsek! Go Eagles!"
"And then there was weightlifting. All in all, not a cool performance."
"Let's check it with our expert, maybe he has an explanation for this!"

"Hello Don and Rachel. How fare ye?"
"We're doing well, our Olympics Team, not so much. Can you tell us what's going on?"
"Well let's take a look at the first fifteen medals. Five were for weightlifting, where our athletes stood no chance, as weightlifting isn't a popular sport in Shofercia. I think our athletes did the best they could. We can either promote it as a sport, or forget about it, and keep on losing in that category in the Olympics. But it's not our sport today."
"What about the remaining ten medals?"
"We got one out of six medals in Judo, so that wasn't bad. In shooting - yeah we should have done much better. No argument here. Same for cycling. In Fencing, it's just one event, out of eight. So we still have hope. As for Swimming, we came close. Yes we should've done better, and we'll be addressing that. But I should note that most of OUR events haven't come up yet. I know that it's frustrating, being tied with five other people for 24th place in the standings, but it will get better. If it doesn't, a lot of people are going to be fired."
"Well as long as they're fired, not fired at, we should be ok."
"Haha. I doubt that'll ever happen in Shofercia."

"So what are your predictions for tomorrow?"
"We'll probably miss out on the weightlifting medals. We didn't qualify for Medleys, so we won't get those. And our chances for the other two medals are also slim."
"Thanks, you're a beacon of optimism Eddie!"
"However, we should do well in the qualifiers, which should set us up for medals the next day. If we don't get a gold medal by the end of the fifth day of the Olympics - then heads are going to start rolling! Figuratively speaking of course."
"Thank you Eddie!"

"Do you think heads are going to roll?"
"I don't know, but rumor has it that the King might arrive on the fifth day. And the King doesn't like losing."
"Hopefully that'll inspire our athletes, like it inspired us during that classified combat mission - whoopsie!"
"And we'll be taking a commercial break now!"

Do you like what you see? Then come to Shofercia, a nation that is ranked in the top five percent for most compassionate citizens, most eco-friendly governments, most beautiful environments, happiest citizens, healthiest citizens, highest average tax rates, longest average lifespans, nicest citizens and best weather. These qualifications make Shofercia an ideal place to spend a vacation. Shofercia's Tourism Industry is privately owned, and we offer free public services, pleasing both capitalists and communists. We have numerous islands devoted solely to Tourism. In all of our years of operation, we have yet to have a disgruntled customer. *knock on wood* Shofercian Tourism - a place where dreams come true!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Delaclava
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Delaclava » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Amelia Donncroft entered her apartment, threw down her bag on a chair, and greeted her three cats, Mikey, Jamie, and Bazitis. She had come back from a long day at work; she was a sound engineer at Amazon Studios in Manchester, the country's most rapidly growing city. It was normally very enjoyable, as Amelia got to work with many great recording artists such as alternative rock band The Weed Brothers, pop singer Karina Michael, and punk band Bottlenose. However, on this particular day, and many previous days, the day had culminated in heated arguments between the members of Bottlenose, about everything from creative directions to clubbing behavior and relationships and to money and touring sites. And no one seemed to always agree with another person, just constant fighting; Amelia was rather saddened to know that she may be seeing the downfall of her favorite band.

However, after showering and getting ready for bed, she figured that she would check her email one last time. She found an email from her best friend, Lindsay Dai, with the subject "Fun new game!!!!! :)". She opened it up and found the message: "Hey Mia, found this really fun new game that you might like! It's called CountryStates, it's a fun nation simulation game where you can do basically whatever you want! And it seems like a great way to meet guys too!!! ;) It's at countrystates.net if you're interested! Need to hang out soon! Lindsey <3"

Intrigued, Amelia clicked on the link Lindsey provided and soon found herself creating her nation of Donicrovia, a civil rights lovefest with extensive personal and political freedoms. She decided that she wanted to meet some of the other players and went to the forums. She started with the sports forum, being an avid Manchester FC fan (and having a major celebrity crush on their star player Duval Peterson) and clicked on some of the threads. Apparently the 19th World Cup had just concluded, and Mestalostan had just picked up their eighth title. She laughed at some of his bragging comments. Sure, this person seemed to take the game seriously, but he did have a good sense of humor. Amelia clicked on his name and sent him a message: "Hey there! ;) I'm new to this, any tips on what to do? And I really like some of your roleplay posts, they're funny. :P" She sent the message, and decided that she would explore more tomorrow.
Sports Honor Roll
Football: 2x WORLD BOWL CHAMPIONS (13 & 15), 1x Runner-up (11), 4x Third Place (41-44), 1x Regional Champions
Hockey: World Cup 16 Third Place, 2x World Juniors Champion (18 & 22), 3x World Junior Runners-up (16, 17, 19), 1x Regional Silver
Basketball: 2x IBC Runners-up (31 and 36), 4x Regional Medal (1 Silver, 3 Bronze)
Lacrosse: 2x Worlds Runners-up (16 and 41) 1x Regional Silver
Soccer: Olympic Gold (V), 3rd at IAC 18 3rd at Di Bradini Cup 15, 4th at Baptism of Fire 34
Host of WC 55; CoH 44, 46, 84, and 87; BoF 72; World Bowl 11, 15, 39, and 43; IBC 7 and 31; AOCAF 31; WJHC 16 and 18; etc. Founder of Scott Cup and World Team Tennis Championship.

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Shaw makes gymnastics all-around, floor finals

Lasft, CAFUNDÉU— Ryan Shaw, Liventia's big gymnastics hope, has qualified for both the individual all-around and floor finals at the Olympics in Lasft.

Shaw, 19, widely considered to be the only one of Liventia's six-strong men's team to be able to compete at a high enough level with international gymnasts despite this being Liventia's first major international meet, put any doubts beyond reach with a strong floor routine, earning a score of 16.150 from the judges (adjusted for difficulty). With the exception of the high bar, where Herbert Wallace received a score two tenths of a point higher, Shaw outdid his teammates—Andrew Ransom, Davide Recchi, Fred Poms, Wallace, and Paul Adamson—in every single apparatus.

Shaw's overall score of 93.075, a personal best, was enough to put him into the 23-man individual all-around final, where he is likely to be an outside shot for bronze. "I think I've got a shot at a medal," Shaw told SportSat by phone from Cafundéu after the qualifying event. "There are lots of talented gymnasts in the final and I'm learning a lot here, so even if I don't make the podium it will have been a very rewarding experience," said the teenager.

Shaw's bright performance on Day Two follows two medals on Day One. A silver medal from shooting superstar Pearline Jones in the women's air rifle event, adding to her gold and bronze from Outineau, was preceded by judoka Anna Green—Outineau bronze medallist—winning Liventia's first gold medal of the Games in her under-48 kg weight category.

The wins on Day One took some of the disappointment at missing out on medals in weightlifting, which provided three golds for the Independent Athletes in Outineau. Women's sub-48kg Olympic record holder and defending champion, flagbearer Clementine Plante, could only finish fourth in her event, falling four kilograms short of bronze, while men's 56kg defending champion Isaac Audy had to withdraw from his event after the snatch phase due to an injury.

On Day Two, Liventia's weightlifters continued to disappoint, with Robert Laquerre finishing fifth in the men's 62 kg category. Laquerre, who returned from Outineau with a bronze medal, was well out of the medals, lifting 11 kg less than the bronze medallist. The men's cycling road race was similarly disappointing; the best-placed Liventian finisher was Jérôme Alexandre down in 33rd—a fact made all the more disappointing by the fact that Alexandre is the oldest and is supposed to be the slowest of the team.

There was however some brighter news from the equestrian, where Liventia's eventing team sit second in the team standings after the first day of dressage. The team, led by Minnie Lewis—also the best-placed Liventian in the individual rankings after the first day, won a silver in Outineau and are hoping to better that result in Lasft.
Слава Україні!

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Qazox at the 6th Summer Games

Lafst, Cafundeu--

Day Two:

Men's Basketball:

Berg.  35 39  74
Qazox 31 27 58

It was close in the first half, but a 17-0 run midway through the 2nd half spurred Bergnovinaia to the blow-out of the IBC runners-up.

Men's Artistic Gymnastics:
For Qazox' first ever internation foray into Gymnastics, it wasn't that bad of a day as Nathan Tanner qualified for not only the Vault final, but the overall final as well. His brother, Greg, just missed out on the overall final by 0.015 points.

Athlete                             Floor   Vault   Pommel  P.Bars  H.Bar   Rings  

Charles Erade (QZX) 14.250 14.400 12.450 14.025 2.525 13.825 71.475
Dannis Sehola (QZX) 14.425 12.925 14.250 4.700 15.200 14.075 75.575
Eric Levy (QZX) 13.950 13.575 14.525 14.150 14.750 13.775 84.725
Greg Tanner (QZX) 16.050 14.850 15.100 13.575 15.725 15.800 91.100
Nathan Tannner (QZX) 15.525 16.125Q 14.700 15.650 15.475 15.675 93.150 Q
Victor Hanochar (QZX) 14.225 13.825 14.100 13.975 13.475 13.175 82.775

Men's Handball: Kosove 28- Qazox 28.
Trailing 28-26 with under a minute left, Mark Jobs scored twice in the span of 16 seconds and Thomas Genna made a diving save at the buzzer to preserve the tie. The tie was Qazox' first points in Men's handball in over 30 years.

Men's Tennis:
Round of 16: After yesterday's marathon sessions, Bradley Guiterrez started all over again with the Round of 16 matches today, but alas his medal dreams ended in straight sets in the quarterfinals. But winning 5 matches in the span of 35 hours? Mr. Guiterrez will be receiving a hero's welcome when he comes back to Qazox.

R16: Def. Luke Cubrick 6-2, 7-5.
Qtrs: Lost to Hugh Jebwe 1-6, 2-6.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Wadomia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wadomia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Day Two Of the Games of the VI Olympiad Report Part One

Hello! I'm Brian Wallace, and I will giving commentary on the results on the second day of the NationStates Olympic Games. First I will covering Men's and Women's Archery.

Beach Volleyball
Men's
Gregory Thomas/Joseph Bochy (MAN)                 21  23
James Trudel/Edward Ciccone (WAD) 16 21

Wadomia's Beach Volleyball Men's Team didn't have what it takes to beat Mantwenic. Wadomia's team consisted of James Trudel and Edward Ciccone. The Duo played their hardest, but wasn't enough to win. They will hope to have better luck in the future.

"I wish we would've executed our gameplay a little bit more. They were certainly a strong opponent. Hard to beat them," said James Trudel.

Here are the group standings:

1 Geoff Burton/Wayne Richards                      1   1  0    2   0  +2    2
Gregory Thomas/Joseph Bochy 1 1 0 2 0 +2 2
3 James Trudel/Edward Ciccone 1 0 1 0 2 −2 1
Yurij Salvan/Danny Walker 1 0 1 0 2 −2 1
*Nikodem Zinoviy/Leo Benedikt (VUL)

Women's
Melissa Perry/Vania Loperra (DEL)                  19   6
Cathy Farmer/Jennifer Henderson (WAD) 21 21

The Women's Team certainly had more luck today, as they were able to outplay the team of Melissa Perry/Vania Loperra of Delaclava.

"First match was pretty lucky, the second match was dominance, and that's what we're looking for," says Cathy Farmer.

Pld   W  L   PF  PA  PD  Pts 
1 Cathy Farmer/Jennifer Henderson 1 1 0 2 0 +2 2
Isii Sevare/Leina Kulesiste 1 1 0 2 0 +2 2
Rylie Lond/Sarah Porter 1 1 0 2 0 +2 2
4 Alehai Sanbutsen/Mone Kauldelkarrea 1 0 1 0 2 −2 1
Emily Garnett/Erin Paine 1 0 1 0 2 −2 1
Melissa Perry/Vania Loperra 1 0 1 0 2 −2 1

Archery
The Men Archers from Wadomia competed in the Mens Team Initial Round. The team faced off against Osarius. Osarius barely nudged a win against Wadomia with by two points.

Wadomia 220-222 Osarius

"I can't believe it. Two points! That's not what we wanted!" said Jason Daniels to reporters.

Basketball (Men's)
Stachland 64–85 Mantwenic
Wadomia 92–81 El Minan

The Men's Basketball Team played their first game today for the NS Olympic Games. The team was able to triumph over the El Minan Basketball team. Thomas Rawson scored a total of 36 point, leading the team.

Pld   W  L   PF  PA  PD 
1 Mantwenic 1 1 0 85 64 +21
2 Wadomia 1 1 0 92 81 +11
3 El Minan 1 0 1 81 92 −11
4 Stachland 1 0 1 64 85 −21

Badminton
Men's
The Double's Team of Ralph Smith and Henry Sale began the doubles round of the competition. First Round was a success as they beat Johnathan Lance/Kyle Petrew (TAE)

Round One
Ralph Smith/Henry Sale (WAD) 21 21
Johnathan Lance/Kyle Petrew (TAE) 6 12

Next Round was also a success for the duo. Sale and Smith outplayed Nicostrato Aquino and Nándor Nave of Carpathia and Ruthenia. Sale and Smith look to be a great duo. We'll see how they do later on.

Round Two
Nicostrato Aquino/Nándor Nave (CAR) 21 18 19
Ralph Smith/Henry Sale (WAD) 19 21 21

Third Round. Sale and Smith couldn't pull of a victory in the third round. They were defeated by Prof. Kevin Stronbol and Prof. Gennaro Koster from Landau Institute. Seems as though Wadomia competitors can't ever make it past the first three rounds. Suspicious.

Women's
The women also competed in doubles. Jeanette Ingram and Selma Daniels represented Wadomia. They were successful in winning in the second round, but couldn't win in the third round.

Cycling
Men's Road Race
Not much to say, only that all of Wadomia's bikers couldn't finish the race. Ya, disappointing :(

Handball
Men's
The Men's National Handball Team competed in their first game of the Olympics. Not so luck for the first game. Wadomia lost to Iglesian Archipelago by the score of 29-21. Here are the group standings:

Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Iglesian Archipelago 1 1 0 0 29 21 +8 2
2 Delaclava 1 1 0 0 29 22 +7 2
3 Greenjungle 1 1 0 0 32 27 +5 2
4 The Babbage Islands 1 0 0 1 27 32 −5 0
5 Wolfmanne 1 0 0 1 22 29 −7 0
6 Wadomia 1 0 0 1 21 29 −8 0

Swimming
Men's 100m Breaststroke
Probably the biggest accomplishment Wadomia has had in the Olympics yet. Parker Atkinson was able to swim his way into the finals. He placed 5th in the semi-finals, and then placed 8th in the finals. Atkinson was not expected to barely even come close to the finals.

"I'm happy I was able to amaze people in how well i can swim. I know I kept it secret, but that's how I can make a name for myself," says Atkinson.

And thats all I'll be covering today. Good Luck to Wadomia in the NS Olympics!
National Factbook
Embassy
Hosted: Wadomia Athletics Invitational, World Kickball Championships
Champions: Wadomia Athletics Invitational 1 & 2 (Men's Track), Market Cup 3, Gregory Cup (Lockey)
Runner Ups: Nation's Cup 2, Birthday Cup 1
3rd Place: Nation's Cup
4th Place:
Quarter-Finals Brotherhood Cup I, World Kickball Championships, World Indoor Soccer Championships 2, Mcleod Cup IV (Babbage Football)
Qualified Beyond Group Stage: World Bowl XV
Rankings: Indoor Vollyball - 23rd, Rugby Union - 68th, Lockey - 1st, Babbage Football - 25th
Wadomia American Football League
Game of the IV Olympiad -RP Thread's 1000th Viewer :)
Highlight --------> Your Mom

Stuffed Taxidermists
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stuffed Taxidermists » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 am

The ST Sports Informer

Day 2 Results Good
Day 2 of the olympics was today, and there were some good results for teams from Stuffed Taxidermists. First up, the Stuffed Taxidermists got a suprise win against Kelssek 79-76. The basketballers were happy with the result and if they can keep it up they could go on to the next round. Next, the National Handball team got a much needed victory, beating Shofercia 29-27. Table Tennis came next, and Stuffed Taxidermists Mark Kave fought out a tough match against Luc Blissful. He had a bad start but steadied and managed to hold on for a victory. Kave was unfortunately knockd out in the next round though, and the nations dreams of a medal were shattered. Another close victory occured for a Stuffed Taxidermists sporting team occured in Indoor Volleyball when Stuffed Taxidermists Men defeated Kernansquillec in a tight affair. That was it in a relatively quiet day for our athletes. Poseidon Socrates, who represents our olympic delegation to the press, was finally available for comment.

Reporter: Mr.Socrates, how do you rate Day 2 for our athletes?

Socrates: Really good. All our teams played some really tight matches and I enjoyed watching them, and table tennis was good with Mark Kave. It was a good effort by him and I look forward to Day 3.

Reporter: How was tennis for you?

Socrates: It was a good experience. There is nothing quite like playing in the olympics and even though I was knocked out, it was great winning in straight sets.

Reporter: How do you rate our chances of a medal?

Socrates: Look, I think we have still got a chance but I just think we don't have enough athletes. But we do still have a chance.
Last edited by Stuffed Taxidermists on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cartfartium wrote:Winwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwcakewinwinwinwinwinwin.

Lyndiana wrote:No! NO!! BAD Vanilla Ice! You spit that thing out RIGHT NOW!
Clicky
Slavbada (Leader):N/A
Vichy Slavbada: N/A
Wiki
National Factbook
Embassy Program
Defcon: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
RP Population: 950,000,000

Chenkorya
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chenkorya » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:11 am

Day 2 - A bad day, and again, no medals

ChenkorSport, your favourite sports magazine, gives you fresh and nice coverage of the Sixth Summer Olympics in Lasft, Cafundéu.

LASFT, CAFUNDÉU - The second day of the Olympics have passed and there is still no medal for the Chenkoryan delegation. It was no good day: there were almost no top 10 places for Chenkoryan athletes.
The day started with beach volleyball, where Jaya Hoedemakers and Eurwen Doubek were participating. We weren't expecting much from Hoedemakers and Doubek and we were right: the girls lost the match against Gërenebrob and Peraness, that are now leading the group and brought Hoedemakers and Doubek to the sixth place, the last place. Jaya Hoedemaker's reply was not happy, but she expected it, against big names from Civil Citizenry. "We did not make any chance, of course. It's what I expected. I hope we can do better then the sixth place next time."

The men's basketball team played their first match today, but we can not compare this results to the results of the women's team. The team of Fülöp Tillens was defeated by Taeshan with 67-83. Despite some beautiful points made by Corey Carbone, the defeat against Taeshan brought Chenkorya to the last place in the poule, sixth again. Taeshan is now no. 1 in group 1. But don't forget about our women's basketball team: currently number one in their poule. Men trainer Alexander Duchambre: "You are not counting on a so big defeat, so this was quite a shock for the team. But we will get up again and next match we will give everything."

Let's get back on badminton then, yesterday our Sasa Rao reached the round of 16 (winning the unlucky drawed match against our own Rivka Vencel), today it was the doubles turn. At the first event, the men, we had two couples participating for Chenkorya, van Oorschot together with Caivano, and Zappa with Marchesi. Zappa and Marchesi were not strong enough together to defeat Aoias and Roas, but van Oorschot and his partner Caivano succeeded in defeating Trembley and Yost from Altimarus. But in the second round it was also over for van Oorschot and Caivano: Goodman and Marshall from Carasatoga defeated them. In the changing rooms there was found one broken badminton racket and it was probably Caivano's, cause we saw him returning to the Village without racket. van Oorschot was disappointed but not angry. "I thought we would do better, but I am not angry on Goodman and Marshall. They want the same as us: that medal! Well, they can continue living in that dream, and we can't. It was the Will of God." At the women's doubles we also had participants. Kagiso Bosque and Estee Lindgren lost their match in the second round against Clontz and Erler from ABK. Saša Rao and her sister Milena Rao reached the second round with two sets winning against Howard and Shot, from the little nation of Shofercia. Žana Pasternack/Emilija Pasternack reached the third round too cause of their victory against Dubet and Lerheri from Taeshan. The weird thing was: in the third round the two Rao's and the two Pasternack's get drawed against each other, again! The Cafundeulense organisation says it was just accidentally, but Milena Rao does not believe that. "This can't be accidentally. It never happens with other countries, but now "accidentally" with Chenkorya, not one time, but two. That can't be possible." At the end the Pasternack's came out as the winners, so they past to the next round.

Cycling was the next part of the Games. Cycling is not really Chenkorya's thing, what we could see today at the Men's Road Race.The highest placing was just 32th, by Girisha Koizol. The highest placing after Koizol was Severianus Venczel's 142th place. That were also the only two placings, cause more than 50 not finished cyclists, and there were also two Chenkoryans in that group. As'ad Adringa and Nikica Hoedemaekers (we expected much more from him) did not finished. Andringa blamed the pebbles on the road, but Koizol told us there were not pebbles at all. "There were a lot of runners, some leafs and there were even skunks on the road, but no pebbles."

We hade some better results at the equestrian, what is by the way always mixed. Our own Kadriya Vandale with her horse Tatuceau finished fourth at the dressage! That is our best result till now at the Olympics, but Vandale promised us she will end up in the top three at the next day of the dressage. "I know I can do it now, and I will do it for the Chenkoryans. So they can be proud on me, Tatuceau and their medal.". Estela Ostrowski with her horse Kat did much less good. She finished at place 125, not really a place to be proud of. "That's right" was the only thing a surly Ostrowski wanted to say about her dressage today. Our only male equestrian athlete finished almost last. Fiedrich Levendig with his horse Arash finished 130 out of 133.

Today was also the Men's Artistics Qualification. That was one big failure. Dubanowski, Stankic and the three Busci's all had not enough points to qualify at the individual, but also at the team event they came not through the first round. Stankic, that had the best score of our athletes, was disappointed and blamed the Busci's. "They were just not serious enough. They were looking at the other boys, they are all gay, and were brought out of their concentration if only someone in the crowd was talking. Next time no Busci at the Olympics anymore."

Then we continue with swimming: today were some semi's and finals. The first swimming event was the 100m Breaststroke semifinal. Iuppiter Sniders and Gustavo Li from Chenkorya were both in it! In the semi's Sniders qualified for the final, he was 8th, with a time 1:00.02 but Gustavo Li (in fact our best one) finished 13th out of 16 with 1:00.35. But Sniders was not good enough to win the final, he finished 7th with 59.48. At the women's 400m Butterfly we had Darija de Sauveterre in the semi's who finished second there with a time of 57.07. We were all hoping for a medal then, she could do it, but it was false hope. Darija finished 6th in the final with 57.36. "Well, I have swom a personal record. But if you are in that final, you really want to win. You were so close and then, ooh, you don't make a good start and your out. Over and out."

Table Tennis, a popular sport in Chenkorya, was played today too. In the first round we already lost Rick Roberts, he was defeated by Petro Deco. But Gavriil Victors could make it to the second round, winning an exiting game against Dr. Fabio Saci from the Landau Institute. Pánfilo Nakamura reached the second round too, winning an even more exiting game against Charlie Kennedy. But Victors lost his second round match against a player from Kazerjan, but Nakamura defeated a player from Kazerjan! But in the third round it was over for Nakamura, he lost a match against Henry. "Disappointing, it is. Really. I wanted more. This is not enough. It is over now and now I have to train for a year to do it again." In the women's competition Dejana Murtas won her first round match against Finola Uí Chorra from Sorthern Northland. Jordana Heath was not strong enough for Vanessa Filesto from Krytenia, she lost her match. "The biggest defeat I ever had. I don't want to play a match like this again." Erica Alluni, our biggest table tennis talent, won her place in the second round with an insanely easy match. "That girl was like Barbapapa. Just like she had no bones." Alluni said about Lisa Saari. The next two rounds were easy for the Alluni too. "That were Barbamama and Barbabelle." Alluni is now standing in the round of 16 and is hoping for a medal. Dejana Murtas could not survive the second round.

That was your favourite coverage for today. Tomorrow there is more Olympics, hopefully with a medal for Chenkorya and not for the nations like Euskillikilli.

Kagdazka and Pazhujebu
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagdazka and Pazhujebu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:58 am

"Like" - a poem by Peregrina Thašighi

Like,
On day three,
We don't play,
No girls' football,
So I took a day to go to the mall.

Like,
Poetry's cool,
I'm thinking,
While I chew gum,
And while I'm drinking slushies (I know, dumb).

Like,
Big match on,
Girls' tennis,
Quarters over,
That chick's a menace: Raskolnikova.

Like,
Basketball,
Boys played there,
But yesterday,
They lost by a hair to Khabarovsk Krai.

Like,
Men's football,
Big match, you see,
What's in store,
We grab victory from An Blascaod Mor?

Like,
Fušia,
I guess hates me,
But I don't know,
Should I let her see how my feelings grow?

Like,
My feet hurt,
Fuck the mall,
Back to Village,
"Miss Purple Hair's" wallet I shall pillage.
Last edited by Kagdazka and Pazhujebu on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Federation of Kagdazka and Pazhujebu

Baptism of Fire 25 Champions (The Pazhujeb Islands), Baptism of Fire 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka), AOCAF 33 Runners-Up (Kagdazka and Pazhujebu), Baptism of Fire 43 Co-Hosts, Baptism of Fire 45 Co-Hosts

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 am

BEACH VOLLEYBALL, MALE GYMNASTICS HIGHLIGHT PERFECTLY AVERAGE DAY

Moran, Moise admit "long road ahead" after unconvincing 3-set win

:ugeek: :geek: :meh: :geek:

ABOVE: Hipsters watch the archery team make an early-round exit against Mantwenic

LASFT, Cafundéu - It was a fairly disappointing day across the board for the NMS delegation in Lasft, as the national medal total remained frozen at two after some teams failed to live up to their expectations.

Beach volleyball was a bright spot for the States, but the tandem of Chet Manly and Archer Sterling collapsed in two sets against Salvatoro Ilaroshi and Mateu Pilamorivistre. Possibly the most athletically gifted of the NMS tandems, their coach, Frank Perron, quit two months before the Olympics, claiming that neither man was "remotely serious" about training and that they were "both major-league assholes." Before leaving, controversy broke out over a $20,000 tab Manly had run up at the House of Poon, a brothel near the beach-volleyball training camp in the spa town of Le-Bon-Gros-Mont, which nearly caused Manly to be denied a visa as a flight risk - only to realize that the legal consequences of prostitution in our gracious host nation are probably even worse than back home, where the "not paying" part is the only thing gone wrong so far.

Dan Moise, who's already denounced his now coachless fellow duo for being "a pair of circus clowns," wasn't having a perfect day either. Missing dives and a botched spike led to him and Patrice Moise to split their first set before coming back strong with a 15-7 blowout.

"That's the kind of form we need to find from the first serve. We're going to work with our coach to improve and try and not dig ourselves a hole from the get-go," said Moise, bringing a dose of the passive-aggressive tone that earned him the title of "worst potential roommate" in Useless Pop Trivia's double-blind super-secret Official Useless Information Poll of 461 Olympic Athletes.

Both women's tandems also won their group matches shortly before we went to press. Neither of them could be reached for comment before press time.

ARCHERY TEAM MISSES APPLE, SLAYS CHILD

Medal hopes vanish after shocking first-round loss against Mantwenic

LASFT, Cafundéu - One of the States' best medal hopes came crashing to a halt in the second day of competition.

The Archery Team event, whose members were considered to be at the pinnacle of their craft, and who had a very good first day in the individual rounds, went under to Mantwenic in the first round of the team event. The loss eliminated the team until the VII Games.

FIVE MEDAL CHANCES FOR MALE GYMNASTS

Side earns shot at prestigious overall medal

LASFT, Cafundéu - After a long day of qualifying heats, the NMS Male Artistic Gymnasts now know where their medal hopes lie. Better yet, the whole squad will have a shot at the overall championship.

The team was among the 8 best overall scores in the heats, and all six members will perform at least one more time.

"Individual accomplishments are a great thing, but the team overall was our number one goal," said Clyde St-Jean-Baptiste, whose superlative 16.375 on the high bar was the best individual score of any NMS gymnast, and spearheaded his scintillating 93.450 overall score. "We know what we need to improve on, and we've all got second chances to go back and get it right this time, which is a great blessing in the Olympics. There are at least a hundred people out there, probably more, who would love to go back and try their routines again, try to nail down details they missed, or to have one ill-timed jump back."

St-Jean-Baptiste is familiar with individual achievement, qualifying for the final rounds in both the high bar and overall routine."I'd be lying if I said I didn't want three golds," said St-Jean-Baptiste. "But to achieve that, I'll need to take things one routine at a time."

He will be joined in the overall competition by Guy Latendresse and in the High Bar by Roger Finnigan, the member of the team with the least international experience.

"Roger just came out of nowhere with that routine," said Latendresse. "He rose to the occasion today, and frankly he ought to be in the overall finals with myself and Clyde."

ERRATA

Suzanne Harding finished 4th in the woman's foils, losing in the bronze medal match to Lauren Gardner. Beth Dimonville was eliminated in the quarterfinals...the demonstration baseball team was forced to withdraw after an injury sustained by Moncton Sands Longshoremen 3B Darcy MacIntyre led to eight other franchises revoking their player's permission to participate...the Men's Handball team beat Darmen 32-22 in the first match of group play...Aribeth Reese set the pace in the woman's 100m butterfly semifinal that would have been good for a silver medal, but faltered and did not earn a medal in the finals...Russell Hedgeford advanced further in the table-tennis competition than anyone thought he would...for all-too-complete coverage of the Lasft Olympics, visit our [fictional] website at presse-journal-devoir.com, with up-to-the-thirty-seconds-or-so results, analysis, commentary, interviews and more!
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Akbarabad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Akbarabad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31 am

First gold medal fails to dampen Fencing disappointment.

(Akbarabad Press, AP): Day two of the Games began with a bad start for Akbarabad with both Rumana Parveen and Mehnaz Alam crashing out in the Round of 16 for the Women's Foil event. Considering that the two contested the final of the event last around, this comes as a big blow for the entire delegation. Lets hope that the men's team have better luck in the Men's Sabre first rounds tomorrow, an event where they experienced no success at all last time.

Swimming was a much brighter spot for Akbarabad with Farah Hamid becoming the first Akbarabadi women to win a gold medal in swimming as well as the Nation's first gold of the Games, with a win in the Women's 100m Butterfly. The men also had some near misses in their events. Ali Hossain topped the Men's 100m Breaststroke semifinal but was unable to lift his performance in the final, where he finished 5th while Ruhul Amin finished 6th in the Men's 400m Freestyle.

Not a lot else happened for Akbarabad. M.R.Matin crashed out of the Men's Table Tennis competition, but of course the team event is where we are aiming for gold, so it is not a big loss. Similarly, not a lot was expected from the other Akbarabadi athletes of the day, so their failures hardly count for anything really. Tomorrow we will see Sultan Zakir and Khaled Ibadullah attempt to defend their gold medal in the Men's synchronised 10 m platform and failure on their part will be a cause for concern. If they do fail then, critics might begin to wonder whether it would not have been better to send out all new fresh athletes for the games instead of relying on the aging performers.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 am

Top Five Stories of the Day

1. Terrance Ritchie wins the gold medal in men's 10 m air pistol. Ritchie, 27, hails from Inverness, North Island. The married father of two started shooting competitively in high school and was a four-time I-4A champion in this event at Thomas Aquinas. After qualifying Ritchie's 588/600 stood fourth in the field of 61, just one point off the lead. In the ten-shot shootoff round, where scores are measured electronically to the tenth of a point, he posted an outstanding 102.4 and captured the event by 1.6 points.

2. Seventeen-year-old Antoinette Hennicke of Charleston places sixth in women's 10 m air rifle. After a 399/400 in qualifying, her 101.9 shootoff dropped her to 2.6 points behind gold medalist Dulce Castaños of Sargossa. Hennicke has recently been accepted to Ensign Peak Military Academy, presenting her the opportunity to train further with Olympic shooting coach Rick Watson.

3. After the dressage portion of the three-day eventing contest in equestrian, two-time Olympic medalist Elisabeth Macleod Tormey sits in eighth place in the individual standing. The Babbage team lie seventh, having also received noteworthy performances from Trinity Cannon and Klaus Habich in 34th and 35th overall. Tormey seeks to become the first Babbage athlete to medal in three different sports in three Games, having previously won a gold in modern pentathlon and an individual bronze in epee.

4. Brigid Gow, fencing in women's foil for the Ruadha Olympic delegation, won three rounds before succumbing to eventual silver medalist Ana Paula Delgado of Cafundeu in the round of sixteen. A multidimensional athlete, Gow is a Ruadha national champion at gateball and a pitcher for the Redhead side that made an impressive debut in the last World Baseball Classic.

5. Striker Jennifer Stevens had a brace and midfielder Fang Wuying added an insurance goal as the women's football team opened play with a 3-1 win over Thatius.
Last edited by The Babbage Islands on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports