NATION

PASSWORD

IIWiki - Premier Encyclopedia for the Roleplaying Forums

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Valipac wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:We strongly prefer people do not manually import templates from Wikipedia given that some templates are exceptionally dependent on transclusions or adjoined templates, which can sometimes lead to issues when they are manually imported without the templates they depend upon also being imported, in turn leading to more maintenance on our end. This is why we have given out administrative citations for players that have repeatedly done this in the past - combined with the fact it is explicitly prohibited by Standard Six.

If you have a template you would like to have imported, please contact an administrator directly so it can be imported using the tools we have at our disposal to do so (allowing us to import all of the templates a given template might, in turn, rely upon).

No one reads the standards! Anyways, I pulled over the Template:Infobox bicycle race, Template:Motorsport venue, and Template:motorsport championship in the past few days.

They all work independently but you might check them out. Sorry if this causes you inconvenience, wasn't aware there was protocol to follow and I'm not OOC friends with you guys like I was with the admins in the wikistates days (which made it a lot easier to get temps ported) so I figured I'd just transfer them over myself.

Wasn't trying to stir up trouble.

Reading the actual Standards and Conventions of the website tends to help prevent these sort of things, given it outlines the rules and expectations each player agrees to by utilizing the wiki. :P

Regardless, I'll look over them; I haven't heard about any particular issue arising from the manual imports yet, so I doubt there has been any noticeable issue, much less a cascade.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Valipac wrote:
No one reads the standards! Anyways, I pulled over the Template:Infobox bicycle race, Template:Motorsport venue, and Template:motorsport championship in the past few days.

They all work independently but you might check them out. Sorry if this causes you inconvenience, wasn't aware there was protocol to follow and I'm not OOC friends with you guys like I was with the admins in the wikistates days (which made it a lot easier to get temps ported) so I figured I'd just transfer them over myself.

Wasn't trying to stir up trouble.

Reading the actual Standards and Conventions of the website tends to help prevent these sort of things, given it outlines the rules and expectations each player agrees to by utilizing the wiki. :P

Regardless, I'll look over them; I haven't heard about any particular issue arising from the manual imports yet, so I doubt there has been any noticeable issue, much less a cascade.

Everyone knows you just click "agree" to whatever T&C a website requires and then proceed to ignore the actual contract! ;)

I'll drop by iiwiki's IRC chan if I need a template ported in the future though, thanks for being understanding.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Fellas, question.

How do I make a page searchable by the acronym of its name? Like when you look up FBI on Wikipedia and you get their page.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:Fellas, question.

How do I make a page searchable by the acronym of its name? Like when you look up FBI on Wikipedia and you get their page.

That is accomplished with a redirect page. If it's an exceptionally common acronym or initialism, I would advise against it, since it's likely the redirect will be edited to redirect to a disambiguation page of various things that acronym could represent.
[KYRU]

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:Fellas, question.

That is accomplished with a redirect page. If it's an exceptionally common acronym or initialism, I would advise against it, since it's likely the redirect will be edited to redirect to a disambiguation page of various things that acronym could represent.

Alrighty, thank you mister.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Layarteb wrote:Question on the bullet points in the infoboxes. This one below is from the ship one as found on this page.

(Image)

If you notice the ones highlighted first are large and blue and indented whereas the ones below it and downward are black and smaller. I don't know of anything I did differently on the way the text was entered as to why these should be different. Is this something hard coded to the infobox itself?

^ hey still curious about this one if anyone has any insight.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am

Totally not a bump

Cos it's a tag
Last edited by Celibrae on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 am

Celibrae wrote:Totally not a bump

Cos it's a tag

Well that's a real shame, 'cause tags are spam in a way that bumps aren't.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Chkalovsk
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chkalovsk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:55 am

Will individual nations get their own II page upon request/automatically?

Like how regions do

O.O
Union State of Chkalovsk―Союзное государство Чкаловске―Soyuznoye Gosudarstvo Chkalovske
This nation does not reflect my political views

Call me Chally
I'm Female
I'm 16 years old
I'm Russian (I have other traces of East/South Slav in me)
I live in London
Kik/Snapchat: RussianInfidel
Capitalism > Communism
Right Wing > Left Wing
Inequality > Social Justice
Laeuwen wrote:*pours bleach in eyes, lights a match, and puts said match in both eyeballs, subsequently burning my eyes out*

Communist Xomaniax wrote:I believe Merkel has expressed interest in Syria taking Britain's place.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Chkalovsk wrote:Will individual nations get their own II page upon request/automatically?

Like how regions do

O.O

Neither regions nor nations get IIwiki articles automatically. It's easiest just to make them yourself.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm

I have a quick question regarding edits.

It would appear that someone took a relatively generic category page (In this case Category: Armored Fighting Vehicles), and has made something specific to their nation, I was wondering if it would be possible to make it a more generic page without incurring the wrath of the staff.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Chkalovsk
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Chkalovsk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Chkalovsk wrote:Will individual nations get their own II page upon request/automatically?

Like how regions do

O.O

Neither regions nor nations get IIwiki articles automatically. It's easiest just to make them yourself.

What?

http://www.nationstates.net/region=azeria
http://nswiki.org/index.php?title=Region/Azeria

I didnt make that o.o
Union State of Chkalovsk―Союзное государство Чкаловске―Soyuznoye Gosudarstvo Chkalovske

Call me Chally
I'm Female
I'm 16 years old
I live in London
Capitalism > Communism
Right Wing > Left Wing
Laeuwen wrote:*pours bleach in eyes, lights a match, and puts said match in both eyeballs, subsequently burning my eyes out*

Communist Xomaniax wrote:I believe Merkel has expressed interest in Syria taking Britain's place.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Chkalovsk wrote:
Maltropia wrote:Neither regions nor nations get IIwiki articles automatically. It's easiest just to make them yourself.

What?

I didnt make that o.o

That's not IIWiki. That's NSWiki.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Post War America wrote:I have a quick question regarding edits.

It would appear that someone took a relatively generic category page (In this case Category: Armored Fighting Vehicles), and has made something specific to their nation, I was wondering if it would be possible to make it a more generic page without incurring the wrath of the staff.

While that page probably shouldn't be categorized the way it is, that's really not "making it specific to their nation." Yes, you can remove the category if you don't feel it's appropriate. You can also add categories as you see fit.

Chkalovsk wrote:
Maltropia wrote:Neither regions nor nations get IIwiki articles automatically. It's easiest just to make them yourself.

What?

I didnt make that o.o

NSwiki is a separate website.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Chkalovsk
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Chkalovsk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:

That's not IIWiki. That's NSWiki.

OHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you for clarifying.

Call me Chally
I'm Female
I'm 16 years old
I live in London
Capitalism > Communism
Right Wing > Left Wing

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Santheres wrote:
Post War America wrote:I have a quick question regarding edits.

While that page probably shouldn't be categorized the way it is, that's really not "making it specific to their nation." Yes, you can remove the category if you don't feel it's appropriate. You can also add categories as you see fit.

I've been wondering if there was any interest in trying to improve the use of tags in the wiki, as it continues to expand. I've noticed a lot of articles that don't have tags or only a few nation-specific ones, and some are wrongly tagged. I'm not advocating that tags be added to pages against the author's wishes, but perhaps a way to make the list of major available category tags more visible so people know they're available. It would also reduce the number of potential duplicate categories of similar wording. The AFV tag mentioned for instance is not even close to an exhaustive list of AFVs on IIWiki (and I didn't even know it existed when I wrote mine).

And perhaps on a separate note, defining what should be in some of the more ambiguous tags, like "Category:Military," which currently has armed forces pages, vehicles, and even weapons. I admit to being one of those who's dumped a lot of pages into that category.

It's probably come up before in IRC or something, but it's been something that's been nagging at me for a while.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Celibrae wrote:Totally not a bump

Cos it's a tag

Well that's a real shame, 'cause tags are spam in a way that bumps aren't.

It isn't spam if I was under the influence.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:02 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Santheres wrote:

I've been wondering if there was any interest in trying to improve the use of tags in the wiki, as it continues to expand. I've noticed a lot of articles that don't have tags or only a few nation-specific ones, and some are wrongly tagged. I'm not advocating that tags be added to pages against the author's wishes, but perhaps a way to make the list of major available category tags more visible so people know they're available. It would also reduce the number of potential duplicate categories of similar wording. The AFV tag mentioned for instance is not even close to an exhaustive list of AFVs on IIWiki (and I didn't even know it existed when I wrote mine).

And perhaps on a separate note, defining what should be in some of the more ambiguous tags, like "Category:Military," which currently has armed forces pages, vehicles, and even weapons. I admit to being one of those who's dumped a lot of pages into that category.

It's probably come up before in IRC or something, but it's been something that's been nagging at me for a while.

Indeed. I would like to see some more generic tags (I do have something of an obsession with adding as many tags as possible to my pages for the sake of organization), but because I'm not staff I cannot move the AFV thing to something more generic without violating the rules.

Edit: Come to think of it a lot of tags are trapped under the Category: Equipment of Doomingsland that would be better served if it were released to the whole wiki.

http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Category:Equipme ... omingsland
Last edited by Post War America on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

The United Dominion
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Dominion » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Post War America wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Indeed. I would like to see some more generic tags (I do have something of an obsession with adding as many tags as possible to my pages for the sake of organization), but because I'm not staff I cannot move the AFV thing to something more generic without violating the rules.

Edit: Come to think of it a lot of tags are trapped under the Category: Equipment of Doomingsland that would be better served if it were released to the whole wiki.

Where in the rules does it say you can't fix improper categorization as a normal user?
:: The Local Cluster :: Join Today! ::
:: "The Best Region for NSFT"™ ::
:: NSFT Community Discord Server ::

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:17 am

The United Dominion wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Where in the rules does it say you can't fix improper categorization as a normal user?

I believe it falls under don't edit somebody else's page without permission.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 am

I'm no admin, but the Standards and Conventions seem to have this covered -
No editing of another user's article(s) without permission, except to correct an error (such as a typographical error, improper categorization, or Standards violation), or as a part of a sanctioned anti-violation/anti-vandalism unit.

Emphasis mine. I would think that a generic category should not be monopolised by one nation. Just because Maltropia has a road, doesn't mean the Category:Roads should fall entirely within Category:Transport in Maltropia. My preferred solution would be a Category:Roads in Maltropia, as a subset of both the aforementioned categories - that is to say, making a category for X in Nation_Y or Xs of Nation_Y.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 am

Maltropia wrote:I'm no admin, but the Standards and Conventions seem to have this covered -
No editing of another user's article(s) without permission, except to correct an error (such as a typographical error, improper categorization, or Standards violation), or as a part of a sanctioned anti-violation/anti-vandalism unit.

Emphasis mine. I would think that a generic category should not be monopolised by one nation. Just because Maltropia has a road, doesn't mean the Category:Roads should fall entirely within Category:Transport in Maltropia. My preferred solution would be a Category:Roads in Maltropia, as a subset of both the aforementioned categories - that is to say, making a category for X in Nation_Y or Xs of Nation_Y.

So what you are saying is that it shouldn't be a problem if one denationalized they category? Would that also include category description or not?
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:48 am

Post War America wrote:
Maltropia wrote:I'm no admin, but the Standards and Conventions seem to have this covered -

So what you are saying is that it shouldn't be a problem if one denationalized they category? Would that also include category description or not?

Yes. We frown on nations appropriating generic terms to nation-specific purpose. If someone created a page titled, "Military," that was solely about their own nation's military, we would move that appropriately or create a disambiguation page. Likewise, generic categories that are categorized to a nation-specific page can be removed. Now, it would be nice if someone recategorized the Equipment of Doomingsland page for him so they were both generically tagged and nation-specific tagged (i.e. http://iiwiki.com/wiki/D1L95 stays as a generic AFV, but also added to a new category, "Doomingsland AFVs"), or at least sent him a TG to let him know so he can do it himself.

If people want to start an effort to better standardize, categorize, and make accessible the categories, then I would be happy to create and prominently display a "tag cloud" of sorts will all the top-level categories.

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:18 am

Solm wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Yes. We frown on nations appropriating generic terms to nation-specific purpose. If someone created a page titled, "Military," that was solely about their own nation's military, we would move that appropriately or create a disambiguation page. Likewise, generic categories that are categorized to a nation-specific page can be removed. Now, it would be nice if someone recategorized the Equipment of Doomingsland page for him so they were both generically tagged and nation-specific tagged (i.e. http://iiwiki.com/wiki/D1L95 stays as a generic AFV, but also added to a new category, "Doomingsland AFVs"), or at least sent him a TG to let him know so he can do it himself.

If people want to start an effort to better standardize, categorize, and make accessible the categories, then I would be happy to create and prominently display a "tag cloud" of sorts will all the top-level categories.

I would be more than happy to denationalize the categories on the Equipment of Doomingsland page, and inform him that he can add his own national tags. It would also be lovely if you did make that tag cloud, though I would understand if that's just too much work.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 pm

This is correct.

Any user is, broadly speaking, permitted to correct errors, even on another user's page; the litmus has generally been that players only run afoul of this when they change the actual content of another user's page. As an example, changing the phrase, "The Empire of Examplestan is on The Continent of Examplarctica," to, "The Empire of Examplestan is on the continent of Examplarctica," (emphasis added) would be accepted; changing it to, "The Empire of Examplestan is on the continent of Ihaetexamplestan," however, would not be. In certain cases, this falls to a judgment call; in those instances, unless it directly decreases the site's readability or egregiously violates the S&C, we will generally side with the original syntax and context of the article more often than not.

In the case of an over-specified category (and categories in general): categories are, strictly speaking, mechanical "articles," and not generally treated as the intellectual property of any one player or group of players; in the past, we have forced differences in categorization to conform to standards similar to Wikipedia's, but we cannot be everywhere at once. This is why, ideally, we rely on a level of willingness to correct minor errors when they are found (such as mis-categorizing, typographical errors, syntax errors, etc.).

In the event a player sees something and isn't sure whether it should be corrected, they are advised to report it directly to an administrator's talk page on IIwiki, where it is more likely to get responded to quickly, rather than here.
[KYRU]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents