NATION

PASSWORD

[Challenge] Involuntary Admin of Drugs

A repository for discussions of the General Assembly Secretariat.
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

[Challenge] Involuntary Admin of Drugs

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=480309

Well...that gives us little time.

Off the top of my head, that strikes me as a fair argument. I say its illegal.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:47 am

+1
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:52 am

I would have to agree. Contradiction, illegal.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:28 am

That's going to be a soft majority if we (likely) have one member not around in the next 18 hours, so we can probably safely pull the plug on it.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am

Illegal
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 am

How did I miss that before?

Agreed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am

Thats that.

I have to tap out on drafting the opinion and notice in the thread. I have a stack of cases up to my waist that I need to hit before I travel this weekend.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Bears Armed wrote:How did I miss that before?

Agreed.

I was wondering the same thing, how all of us could miss that. Oops.

Not Ta'veren

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:How did I miss that before?

Agreed.

I was wondering the same thing, how all of us could miss that. Oops.

PRA generally isn't invoked all that often. I'll hazard a guess that IA only saw it because of a very recent Discord discussion between me, UMass, and Tinfect in which PRA is alleged to have a large effect on the application of another resolution (which one, I will leave as an exercise for the reader :p )
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Thought this would be quicker and easier. I see three points of contradiction.

1) The difference between next-of-kin and legal guardian in respect of adults referred to in PRA (VIII).
2) Children and adults referred to in PRA (VIII) where they are not incapacitated - the proposal would prevent their legal guardian from granting consent.
3) PRA (I) - emergency treatments and where the patient cannot grant consent (EG unconscious after an automobile collision perhaps). Doctors can do what's needed regardless of the patient's, the guardian's or the next-of-kin's consent.

The proposal “Ban On The Involuntary Administration Of Drugs” was challenged on the basis of contradiction with GAR#29 Patients’ Rights Act (PRA). The challenged proposal in Article 2, clause 2 states “Prohibits the intentional sedation of any individual, except with the express consent of the individual who is being sedated, or, where incapacitated, their legal next-of-kin.” PRA states in Clause (VIII) “For the purposes of this legislation, "patient" may also refer to a legal guardian if the patient is under the age of majority, or is an adult unable to understand their rights under this Act.”

The challenged proposal would ban intentional sedation in all cases, including during medical procedures covered by PRA, where 1) the express consent of the individual has not been obtained or 2) where the individual is incapacitated, their legal next-of-kin's consent has not been obtained. Under PRA, only a legal guardian can grant consent for medical procedures, if the individual undergoing the procedure is an individual under the age of majority or an adult unable to understand their rights under PRA.

We find that these provisions are contradictory. Regarding adults both unable to understand their rights under PRA and who are incapacitated, the challenged proposal would allow a legal next-of-kin to grant consent on their behalf. PRA restricts this to only the legal guardian of such individuals.

A related but separate point of contradiction is in respect of both children and adults referred to in Clause (VIII) undergoing sedation as or as part of a medical procedure, and where they are not incapacitated. The challenged proposal would allow these individuals to withhold consent for sedation regardless of the wishes of their legal guardians.

Finally, we find a further point of contradiction. PRA clause (I) allows physicians and qualified caregivers to provide treatment without an individual’s consent in an emergency and does not refer to requiring the consent of any next-of-kin or guardian. The requirement in the challenged proposal for the consent of an incapacitated individual’s legal next-of-kin contradicts this.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:17 am

Bananaistan wrote:Thought this would be quicker and easier. I see three points of contradiction.

1) The difference between next-of-kin and legal guardian in respect of adults referred to in PRA (VIII).
2) Children and adults referred to in PRA (VIII) where they are not incapacitated - the proposal would prevent their legal guardian from granting consent.
3) PRA (I) - emergency treatments and where the patient cannot grant consent (EG unconscious after an automobile collision perhaps). Doctors can do what's needed regardless of the patient's, the guardian's or the next-of-kin's consent.

The proposal “Ban On The Involuntary Administration Of Drugs” was challenged on the basis of contradiction with GAR#29 Patients’ Rights Act (PRA). The challenged proposal in Article 2, clause 2 states “Prohibits the intentional sedation of any individual, except with the express consent of the individual who is being sedated, or, where incapacitated, their legal next-of-kin.” PRA states in Clause (VIII) “For the purposes of this legislation, "patient" may also refer to a legal guardian if the patient is under the age of majority, or is an adult unable to understand their rights under this Act.”

The challenged proposal would ban intentional sedation in all cases, including during medical procedures covered by PRA, where 1) the express consent of the individual has not been obtained or 2) where the individual is incapacitated, their legal next-of-kin's consent has not been obtained. Under PRA, only a legal guardian can grant consent for medical procedures, if the individual undergoing the procedure is an individual under the age of majority or an adult unable to understand their rights under PRA.

We find that these provisions are contradictory. Regarding adults both unable to understand their rights under PRA and who are incapacitated, the challenged proposal would allow a legal next-of-kin to grant consent on their behalf. PRA restricts this to only the legal guardian of such individuals.

A related but separate point of contradiction is in respect of both children and adults referred to in Clause (VIII) undergoing sedation as or as part of a medical procedure, and where they are not incapacitated. The challenged proposal would allow these individuals to withhold consent for sedation regardless of the wishes of their legal guardians.

Finally, we find a further point of contradiction. PRA clause (I) allows physicians and qualified caregivers to provide treatment without an individual’s consent in an emergency and does not refer to requiring the consent of any next-of-kin or guardian. The requirement in the challenged proposal for the consent of an incapacitated individual’s legal next-of-kin contradicts this.

Signs on to this.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:21 pm

I sign this as well.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:13 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I sign this as well.

Likewise.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:47 pm

@ GH. DO you wish to sign on to this opinion?
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:52 am

Bananaistan wrote:@ GH. DO you wish to sign on to this opinion?

I thought I did? If not, then, yes.

Not Ta'veren

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:@ GH. DO you wish to sign on to this opinion?

I thought I did? If not, then, yes.

Thanks just wanted to confirm that you agreed with the draft ruling.

Now published.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Secretariat Archives