NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] GA Rules

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:[*]Independence. Proposals cannot depend on prior legislation, as if that prior resolution is repealed, the centre of the proposal would be gutted. Proposals which cannot stand alone will be removed or discarded.

This metastasizes the House of Cards rule into something grotesque. According to this language, no proposal that utilizes a previously-existing committee for any reason can be legal. The current rule leaves that vital (to say nothing of more realistic!) legislative road open even while it bans the more serious misconstructions.

[*]Optionality. Because all resolutions apply to all nations, all proposals cannot be optional. Proposals which include optionality will be removed. All nations must heed all clauses of the resolution. For optional clauses, such as 'Urges' or 'Encourages' clauses, all nations must heed the World Assembly's recommendation, and therefore, these are not optional.

"Must heed" even "urge" clauses narrows authorial leeway to mention sidelong or tangential issues without imposing tyranny or micromanagement, unless by "heed" you just mean "listen to."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:[*]Independence. Proposals cannot depend on prior legislation, as if that prior resolution is repealed, the centre of the proposal would be gutted. Proposals which cannot stand alone will be removed or discarded.

This metastasizes the House of Cards rule into something grotesque. According to this language, no proposal that utilizes a previously-existing committee for any reason can be legal. The current rule leaves that vital (to say nothing of more realistic!) legislative road open even while it bans the more serious misconstructions.

Committees exist outside of the rules set. I considered the fact that the rules spoke of committees as additions to proposals. This takes that to an extreme. Naturally, the initial draft will be taken to an extreme — basically, building the edifice of elegance before filling in the holes that have to deal with the problems of reality. Committees exist outside of proposals, so they don't apply in HoC. I've changed the wording.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
[*]Optionality. Because all resolutions apply to all nations, all proposals cannot be optional. Proposals which include optionality will be removed. All nations must heed all clauses of the resolution. For optional clauses, such as 'Urges' or 'Encourages' clauses, all nations must heed the World Assembly's recommendation, and therefore, these are not optional.

"Must heed" even "urge" clauses narrows authorial leeway to mention sidelong or tangential issues without imposing tyranny or micromanagement, unless by "heed" you just mean "listen to."

Yes, I mean listen to. That is what heed means: 'pay attention to'. I've changed the wording.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I disagree with your premise that both sides have fairly equal access to the people's eyes and ears. Depending on the issue and the size/strength of your voting bloc you may not have the funds to reach out to the public in an equal manner. At least in NS scripts and stamps level the playing field in that regard. Hell you can even do things manually.

I'm not Bitely, but if I had as much money as he does, I would be able to pass anything.

Except A ban on boobytrapped aid it seems. Glad to know you subscribe to the pay to win side IA. You know what Mall, do whatever the hell you guys want. It really doesn't matter anymore. The WA is no longer about passing decent resolutions by working together anymore. It is now about petty vendettas, who can try and get the most authorship badges, and who stab who deeper in the back. Why even have a ruleset any longer?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Rather than discuss this proposal, can the moderators just post an updated draft of the rules they've been promising for months?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 am

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'm not Bitely, but if I had as much money as he does, I would be able to pass anything.

Except A ban on boobytrapped aid it seems. Glad to know you subscribe to the pay to win side IA. You know what Mall, do whatever the hell you guys want. It really doesn't matter anymore. The WA is no longer about passing decent resolutions by working together anymore. It is now about petty vendettas, who can try and get the most authorship badges, and who stab who deeper in the back. Why even have a ruleset any longer?

Yeah, he was joking.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Yeah, he was joking.

Whilst you're here, are there any proposals you'd like to submit that walk around the ruleset?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Bump.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:19 am

I like the format of your layout, IA. I'm going to use a variation of it in the current draft we're reviewing behind the scenes.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium