NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (Congress)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:00 am

United States House of Representatives
Representative Maxine Caroline Durant [R-MS-3]

Durant hastily scribbles something on a piece of paper and quietly motions for some hapless congressional slave to "Make this shit the dictator's problem".

With a slight, if confused nod by the congressional aide, he takes what the Mississippian had scribbled on a piece of paper and delivers it to the House Republican Whip Earl Tenson.

Earl,

Sorry to bother y'all right now, but can I git my two cents in on this here bill, provided I don't raise hell or take the good lord's name in vain?

Thanks, your southern bae
- Max
Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:10 am

Senator Everitt Colbert
"Mr. President, I vote nay!"
Colbert then writes a note to all of his Democratic colleagues from the Mountain States.
This amendment is blatant pork and you know it. I urge you to vote no.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am

Representative Everson Lawrence Boyd (D-WI-3)

"I would like to simply echo the concerns of my friend from New York, and make it clear that we must all take public health seriously - I represent a great many deal of farmers in my district, and therefore the current debate is very much of interest to me and my constituents. But then, I suppose, we all represent people who eat food, and so this is of interest to all. We cannot, in good conscience, underestimate the threat that E. coli and other foodborne diseases bring to everyday Americans, and simply dismiss them in some haphazard attempt to pinch pennies. That being said, I fully hear out the concerns of farmers in this country, and I am here to tell those in my district that I will stand up for them and their interests.

With that being said, I now wish to yield my time to my good colleague Representative Maxine Durant, as to hear her opinions on the matter."
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:17 am

Representative Phillip Crawford (D-KY3)
Chair of the House Democratic Caucus

"Mr. Speaker, I rise in opposition to this bill for many of the same reasons my colleagues have stated. I remember in my state dozens of people were infected during an E. Coli outbreak in 2019. Things like that just shouldn't happen, and the only way we can ensure that these incidents don't rear their ugly heads and bring harm to families is to ensure accountability and safety in the processes of the meat industry. The simple fact is that an inconsistent and under-inspected protocol is a recipe for more outbreaks and more recalls that'll hurt the workers and farmers who produce meats and erode trust in businesses. This bill will not only put people at increased risk of getting sick, but it will most certainly lead to harm for agribusiness and the people who pay the bills and support their families through it. I urge my colleague to vote down this bill.

I yield my time."
Die nasty!!111

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am

Newne Carriebean7 wrote:United States House of Representatives
Representative Maxine Caroline Durant [R-MS-3]

Durant hastily scribbles something on a piece of paper and quietly motions for some hapless congressional slave to "Make this shit the dictator's problem".

With a slight, if confused nod by the congressional aide, he takes what the Mississippian had scribbled on a piece of paper and delivers it to the House Republican Whip Earl Tenson.

Earl,

Sorry to bother y'all right now, but can I git my two cents in on this here bill, provided I don't raise hell or take the good lord's name in vain?

Thanks, your southern bae
- Max

Earl replies:

Keep it short and it better be in support

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:40 am

Velahor wrote:
Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:“Seeing a second and no objections. The Chair invites members to give a 3-5 minute address in regards to the bill. “

Congresswoman Diane Paulson [R-ME-2]

"Mr. Speaker, I have a parliamentary inquiry. Would the rules of the House allow me to reserve the final speaking slot, after the other speakers have finished, to address any concerns my colleagues may pose about the bill?"

"The chair would grant that privilege to the gentlewoman from Maine."

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 am

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:United States House of Representatives
Representative Everson Lawrence Boyd (D-WI-3)

"I would like to simply echo the concerns of my friend from New York, and make it clear that we must all take public health seriously - I represent a great many deal of farmers in my district, and therefore the current debate is very much of interest to me and my constituents. But then, I suppose, we all represent people who eat food, and so this is of interest to all. We cannot, in good conscience, underestimate the threat that E. coli and other foodborne diseases bring to everyday Americans, and simply dismiss them in some haphazard attempt to pinch pennies. That being said, I fully hear out the concerns of farmers in this country, and I am here to tell those in my district that I will stand up for them and their interests.

With that being said, I now wish to yield my time to my good colleague Representative Maxine Durant, as to hear her opinions on the matter."

"The chair reminds the gentleman from Wisconsin that Rep Durant's comments have been ruled out of order this legislative day, and is not entitled to speak for the remainder of the legislative day. "

-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass

What have we done...

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:34 pm

Congressman Abrahms submitted the following bill to the docket.

Equality Act of 2021
A BILL
To prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Abrahms, Noam Joseph [NJ-12, Democratic]
Senate Sponsors: Hertzog, Benjamin Ryan [Michigan, Democratic]
House Sponsors: Miller, Oliver [KS-03, Democratic]; Boyd, Everson [WI-03, Democratic]; Ziegler, Daniel Aharon [CO-01, Democratic];
Lazare, Linda D. [TX-07, Democratic]; Crawford, Philip [KY-03, Democratic]; Fitzgerald, Hugo [TX-29, Democratic]

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "Equality Act of 2021".

SECTION 2: Public Accommodations
  1. Amends Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in public accommodations, in addition to the categories of self and perceived forms of identification already included in the amended legislation.
  2. Expands the definition of public accommodations, as previously outlined in the Civil Rights Act of 1964, to exhibitions, goods and services, and transportation.

SECTION 3: Public Facilities
    Amends Title III of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in public facilities, in addition to the categories of self- and perceived forms of identification already included in the amended legislation.

SECTION 4: Public Education
    Amends Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in public education, in addition to the categories of self- and perceived forms of identification already included in the amended legislation.

SECTION 5: Nondiscrimination in Federally Assisted Programs
    Amends Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in federally assisted programs, in addition to the categories of self- and perceived forms of identification already included in the amended legislation.

SECTION 6: Employment
  1. Amends Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, in addition to the categories of self- and perceived forms of identification already included in the amended legislation.
  2. Amends Title VI to prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of an individual's association with another individual of a particular sex, sexual orientation and gender identity.

SECTION 7: Title IX Amendment
    Amends Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in any school or other education program that receives federal money.

SECTION 8: Boyd v. Clayton County Supreme Court Decision Codification
    Defines sex discrimination in employment as
    treating someone (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of that person's sex, including the person's sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition of an individual, as well as because of sex-based stereotypes.
    in accordance with the Boyd v. Clayton County Supreme Court of the United States Decision.
Last edited by Alozia on Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Lavan Tiri wrote:Senator Max O'Halloran
Senate Minority Leader
Republican|Wyoming

Duncan carried a note to Rogers.

William,

I hope you can see how this amendment is blatant pork-barrelling on Hertzog's part.

-Max

United States Senate
Senator William S. Rogers III [D-MT]

Rogers liked that his vote was important enough that several people had asked him to vote against the bill.

So he voted "nay."
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Senator Eugene Obradovic
[Democratic - State of Illinois]
{President pro tempore of the United States Senate}

"With all votes carried, the amendment to the Endless Frontier Act is defeated. The floor is open for further motions or debate on the bill."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:26 pm

“Debate has now almost closed. The chair invites the gentlewoman from Maine to give the closing address”

-Aristotle
Political Compass

What have we done...

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Senator Eugene Obradovic
[Democratic - State of Illinois]
{President pro tempore of the United States Senate}

"If there is no further debate to be had, the Chair would look favorably on a motion to proceed to a vote on the Endless Frontier Act."

The elder statesman grumbles a little, coughing in a handkerchief.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:50 pm

A staffer from Congressman Miller's office, almost with a skip in their step, deposited the ALLIES Act to the House hopper.

Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021

A BILL
To amend the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 to expedite the special immigrant visa process for certain Afghan allies, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Representative Oliver Miller of Kansas (D)
Senate Sponsors: Senator Max O'Halloran of Wyoming (R), Senator Eugene Obradovic of Illinois (D), Senator Benjamin Hertzog of Michigan (D), and Senator Jack Vichter of Iowa (D)
House Sponsors: Representative Abigail Jekyll-Jones of Oregon (R), Representative Caroline Simone of New York (D), Representative John Mattox III of Massachusetts (D), and Representative Hugo Fitzgerald of Texas (D)

This Act may be cited as the "Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021" or as the "ALLIES Act of 2021".

SECTION 2: IMPROVING AFGHAN SPECIAL IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRAM.
    (a) Evidence of Serious Threat.—Section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended in subparagraph (A)(iv), by striking “has experienced or is experiencing” and inserting “has asserted a credible basis for concern about the possibility of”; by striking subparagraph (E); and by redesignating subparagraph (F) as subparagraph (E).

(b) Activities for United States military personnel stationed With International Security Assistance or Successor Force.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(II)(bb) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by striking “sensitive and trusted”.

(c) Afghans employed subject to a grant or cooperative agreement.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(I) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by inserting after “United States Government” the following “, including employment or other work in Afghanistan through a cooperative agreement or grant funded by the United States Government if the Secretary of State determines, based on a recommendation from the Federal agency or organization authorizing such funding, that such alien contributed to the United States mission in Afghanistan”.

(d) Eliminating duplicative processing requirements.—Section 602(b) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended—(1) in paragraph (1)—(A) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by striking “, notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of State in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security” and inserting “the Secretary of State”; and (B) in subparagraph (A), by striking “a petition for classification under section 203(b)(4) of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(b)(4))” and inserting “a request for such status in accordance with procedures established by the Secretary of Homeland Security and Secretary of State”; and (2) in paragraph (2)—(A) in subparagraph (A)(ii), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”; and (B) in subparagraph (D)(i), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”.

(e) Strengthening protections for surviving spouses and children.—Subparagraph (C) of section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended to read as follows: (C) SURVIVING SPOUSE OR CHILD.—An alien is described in this subparagraph if—(i) the alien was the spouse or child of a principal alien described in subparagraph (A) who had submitted a request for classification pursuant to this section or a petition pursuant to section 1059 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 which included the alien as an accompanying spouse or child; and (ii) such request or petition—(I) if approved, was revoked (or otherwise rendered null) due to the death of the principal alien; or (II) if pending, is otherwise approvable but for the death of the principal alien.”.

(f) Applicability.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to any requests for special immigration status, applications for special immigrant visas, or applications for adjustment of status under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 that are pending on the date of the enactment of this Act or filed on or after such date.

(g) Rule of construction.—The amendments made by this section shall not diminish, replace or override any vetting, verification of employment, approval by chief of mission, or any other screening process required for a special immigrant visa under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009.

SECTION 3: AFGHAN ALLIES PROTECTION ACT.
    Section 602(b)(3) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by adding at the end the following: “(G) SUBSEQUENT FISCAL YEARS.—Beginning on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph, in addition to any unused balance under this paragraph, 8,000 principal aliens may be granted special immigrant status under this subsection. For purposes of status provided under this subparagraph the authority to issue visas or adjust status shall commence on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph and shall terminate on the date such visa numbers are exhausted.”.

SECTION 4: AFGHAN REFUGEES OF SPECIAL HUMANITARIAN CONCERN.
    (a) Definitions—For the purpose of this act, the definition of "refugee" is governed by section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Afghan refugees are not applicants of the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) program as outlined by the Afghan Allies Protection Act.

(b) In general—The Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall designate as Priority 2 refugees of special humanitarian concern the following individuals:

(1) Individuals who—(A) are or were habitual residents of Afghanistan; (B) are nationals of Afghanistan or stateless persons; (C) have suffered persecution or have a well-founded fear of persecution; and (D) share common occupational characteristics that identify them as targets of persecution in Afghanistan on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, as determined by the Secretary of State, including the following:

(i) Civil servants.

(ii) Public officials and government personnel, including members of the peace negotiation team.

(iii) Human rights defenders.

(iv) Women's rights defenders.

(v) LGBTQ rights defenders.

(vi) Journalists and media personnel.

(vii) Legal professionals.

(2) Individuals who—(A) are or were habitual residents of Afghanistan; (B) are nationals of Afghanistan or stateless persons; and (C) were employed in Afghanistan for an aggregate period of not less than 1 year by—(i) a media or nongovernmental organization based in the United States; or (ii) an organization or entity that has received a grant from, or entered into a cooperative agreement or contract with, the United States Government.

(3) Individuals who—(A) are or were habitual residents of Afghanistan; (B) are nationals of Afghanistan or stateless persons; and (C) are beneficiaries of an approved I–130 Petition for Alien Relative.

(c) Processing of Afghan refugees.—The processing of individuals who are or were habitual residents of Afghanistan, are nationals of Afghanistan or stateless persons, and have suffered persecution, or have a well-founded fear of persecution, for classification as refugees may occur in Afghanistan or in a third country.

(d) Eligibility for admission as a refugee.—An alien may not be denied the opportunity to apply for admission as a refugee under this section solely because such alien qualifies as an immediate relative of a national of the United States or is eligible for admission to the United States under any other immigrant classification.

(e) Identification of other persecuted groups.—The Secretary of State, or the designee of the Secretary, is authorized to classify other groups of individuals who are or were nationals and residents of Afghanistan as Priority 2 refugees of special humanitarian concern.

(f) Satisfaction of other requirements.—Aliens designated as Priority 2 refugees of special humanitarian concern under this section shall be deemed to satisfy the requirements under section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act for admission to the United States.

(g) Timeline for processing applications.—

(1) In general.—The Secretary of State and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall ensure that all steps under the control of the United States Government incidental to the approval of such applications, including required screenings and background checks, are completed not later than 6 months after the date on which an eligible applicant submits an application under subsection (b).

(2) Exception.—Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the United States Refugee Admission Program may take additional time to process applications described in paragraph (1) if satisfaction of national security concerns requires such additional time, if the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the designee of the Secretary, has determined that the applicant meets the requirements for status as a refugee of special humanitarian concern under this section and has so notified the applicant.

(h) Additional forms of immigration relief.—The Secretary of State shall consider additional forms of immigration relief available to Afghans and coordinate with embassies, nongovernmental organizations, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to receive referrals for individuals who— (1)are or were habitual residents of Afghanistan; (2) are nationals of Afghanistan or stateless persons; and (3) are described in subsection (b) or otherwise face humanitarian concerns.

(i) Appropriations.—The Congress shall appropriate $10,000,000 each in additional funds to the Department of State, Department of Homeland Security, and the Office of Refugee Resettlement to fulfill the prioritized processing, vetting, admitting, and resettling of those refugees to whom this Act applies, as laid out in subparagraph (g)(1) of Section 4 of this Act. These additional appropriations shall apply for the duration of FY 2021 and FY 2022, until otherwise determined by the Congress.
Last edited by Yaruqo on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:“Debate has now almost closed. The chair invites the gentlewoman from Maine to give the closing address”

Paulson brought a wet rag to wipe up the remaining meat juice on the podium from her fellow Maine representative’s idiotic stunt.

“Thank you Mr. Speaker. I’d like a few minutes to address the concerns of my colleagues regarding food safety.”

“First of all, I don’t appreciate the stunts pulled by my colleague from Maine. Besides all the logical inconsistency of his statements, he also yet again left a mess for someone else to clean up.”

She finished wiping the podium.

“Not unlike the Congress’s enactment of the current regulatory scheme, which has created an oligarchic, bureaucratic mess that we must now clean up.”

“Secondly, I’d like to recognize Representative Simone’s points regarding the potential management of E Coli outbreaks under the proposed regulatory scheme. Currently, only 4 companies control 80% of the US beef market. That leads to a consolidated beef supply chain, causing outbreaks to be exacerbated in effect.”

“If there is a food safety failure in a gigantic Tyson plant, it affects thousands of people. MARKET’s proposed changes give Americans more opportunity to seek meat products from outside of the pseduo-monopoly of the big-4 meatpackers. Should an outbreak happen in one of those big-4 facilities, Americans would be left with no options for safe, local meat unless we enact these reforms."

“This bill gives Americans the opportunity to seek fully-inspected, safe, locally-sourced meat from farmers and butchers that they know and trust. America is a nation where we honor people’s freedom to choose, and I think it is very valuable for Americans to have to choice to seek food sourced locally.”

“The statistics don’t lie. State-run meat inspection programs are as safe or safer than USDA programs. Custom-slaughter plants nationwide have not had a food safety incident in years. It’s not necessary to have a USDA employee on site at all times every time meat is prepared in our country. Its absurd that we do that.”

“If you believe in liberty, you believe that Americans should have the liberty to choose where their food comes from. If you believe in community, you believe that food should come from the community that consumes it, and people should be able to know their farmer and butcher. And if you believe in family, you’ll open meat processing markets so more of the profits are passed on to local butchers and family farmers rather than big multinational corporations.”

“Some of my less rural Representatives might not be aware of this, but there’s a war going on in agricultural politics. That between small farmers and producers, and the big corporations who fund agricultural lobbying groups. When the little guy and big guys’ interests align, nobody even thinks about it. But when their interests diverge, like here in the MARKET Act, the conflict is open for the world to see.”

“By how you vote on MARKET, you’re declaring your side in this greater battle.”

“Democrats, do you really believe that big, predatory corporations are dangerous to society? Then take this opportunity to curb their power by voting yes on the MARKET Act.”

“Republicans, do you really stand with family farms and rural America? If so, take this opportunity to choose their side and vote yes on the MARKET Act.”

“Congress, do you really stand for bipartisan solutions to our problems that help regular Americans afford to eat, don’t pose any increased health risk or change in meat standards at all, and will create a healthier system of free enterprise? If so, vote yes on the MARKET Act.”
Last edited by Velahor on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Staff of Representative Caroline Simone [D-NY-12]

Representative Simone's staff submits the following bill to the hopper for the House.

National Forestation Act

A BILL
To establish and make appropriations for the National Forestation Corps, to improve the long-term health of the arboreal economy, to mitigate the risk and damage caused by floods and wildfires, and to improve the general climate and quality of the air.

Sponsor: Representative Caroline Simone of New York (D)
Senate Sponsors:Senator Eugene Obradovic of Illinois (D), Senator Jack Vichter of Iowa (D)
House Sponsors: Representative Everson Boyd of Wisconsin (D), Representative John Mattox of Massachusetts (D), Representative Daniel Ziegler of Colorado (D)

Total Expense: $80,000,000,000

This Act may be cited as the "National Forestation Act".

SECTION 2: FINDINGS
  1. Forestry is a major driver of employment, with the forest products industry accounting for around one million jobs, and an annual payroll in excess of $5 billion.
  2. The forest products industry is a top ten employer in 48 of the States.
  3. At approximately 6% of manufacturing GDP, the forest products industry accounts for about as large a share of US manufacturing GDP as the automotive and plastics industries.
  4. The forest products industry generates over $200 billion in annual sales.
  5. The use of forests for leisure also generates large economic activity, with the worldwide ecotourism market size valued at $181.1 billion in 2019, and expected to reach $333.8 billion by 2027.
  6. Forests maintained by the United States are used by a large number of public and private stakeholders for the common economic and social good.
  7. Afforestation has long been considered a cost-effective means of flood defense, at significantly lower cost than concrete flood defenses, and deforestation a driver of intensified flooding.
  8. Flood damage caused approximately $3.75 billion of damage in 2019.
  9. Invasive plant species, such as tumbleweed and eucalyptus, have been proven to exacerbate wildfires.
  10. Wildfire damage and containment cost approximately $24 billion in damages and containment in 2018.
  11. Afforestation and reforestation is considered a significant means to fight air pollution and improve air quality.

SECTION 3: ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NATIONAL FORESTATION CORPS
  1. Underneath the authority of the United States Department of Agriculture shall be created a new agency called the “National Forestation Corps”.
  2. The Director of the National Forestation Corps shall be a Senate-confirmed position.
  3. The National Forestation Corps shall be established for the purpose of undertaking the following activities:
    1. Undertaking afforestation projects on unforested Federal land, and on unforested State and privately-held land with the permission of the State and/or landholder..
    2. Undertaking reforestation projects on deforested Federal land, and on deforested State and privately-held land with the permission of the State and/or landholder.
    3. Undertaking projects to remove and replace invasive species (such as tumbleweed or eucalyptus) from forested Federal land, and from forested State and privately-held land with the permission of the State and/or landholder, where such invasive species present an increased risk of forest fire.
  4. All those employed by the National Forestation Corps shall be paid wages at rates not less than those prevailing on similar construction in the locality that they work, as determined by the Secretary of Labor in accordance with the Davis-Bacon Act, and no less than $15 per hour in any case.

SECTION 4: APPROPRIATIONS
  1. Out of funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, there is appropriated $20 billion for fiscal year 2022.
  2. Out of funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, there is appropriated $15 billion annually for each fiscal year 2023 through 2027.
Last edited by Gordano and Lysandus on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoliberal

Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Representative Gene Goper
(Republican- 4th Congressional District of Alabama)
Speaker pro Tempore of the United States House of Representatives

"Debate has now closed the chair will look favorably upon a motion to call the previous question"

Representative Thomas Volker
(Republican- 8th Congressional District of Missouri)
Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

"I motion to call the previous question."

-Aristotle
Political Compass

What have we done...

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:

"Debate has now closed the chair will look favorably upon a motion to call the previous question"

Representative Thomas Volker
(Republican- 8th Congressional District of Missouri)
Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

"I motion to call the previous question."

“I second the motion by the Congressman from Missouri.”

Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 pm

"Seeing a second and no objections, the house will now proceed to vote on the bill"

-Aristotle
Political Compass

What have we done...

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 pm

Diane stood up and proudly said “Aye!”

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 pm

Representative Maxine Caroline Durant (R-MS-3)

With equal vigor in Durant's voice, she stood up from her seat and cast her vote on the bill at hand.

"Nay!"
Last edited by Newne Carriebean7 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm

House Majority Whip Earl Tenson (R-MT-At-Large)

"Mr. Speaker, I vote Aye."

Meretica
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Meretica » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Congressman John A. Mattox III ([D-MA-8]
: "Aye."

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Hugo Fitzgerald [D-TX-29]

“Nay.”

Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:13 pm

Volker: “Aye”

-Aristotle
Political Compass

What have we done...

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Representative Phillip Crawford (D-KY3)
Chair of the House Democratic Caucus

"Nay."

Crawford sent a note to all House Democrats.

The whip on MARKET is NAY. All members of the caucus are expected to follow through on voting this down.

He sent a separate note to John Mattox.

The whip is NAY. Change your vote immediately.
Last edited by Jovuistan on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Die nasty!!111

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse