NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons II IC- CN Sponsored- Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 am

Qian

Chapter II: "In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan decree..."

Chang'an, Qian

Nidali gave a heavy sigh and clicked his fingers twice in rapid succession. He shook his head furiously, and the strings that hung from his mianguan shook violently as he did so. At his click the two guardsmen who stood at the doors to this section of the palace in Chang'an quickly slung their rifles over their backs and pried open the door they so dutifully guarded. It was heavy and wooden, with ornate carvings of a time before Qian even came to these lands.

He strode in with power and grace, his robes picking up behind him as the faint traces of light that crept through the window that faced the door that had just been open failed to meet his speed and tenacity. His shoes patted against the tiled floor forcefully, clattering echoes and sound across the chamber indiscriminately. He continued to shake his head in immense disapproval, now clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

There she lay, her hair a mess, her clothes loose and free. In front of her, laying there motionless in front of her mound of floor cushions and pillows that she had once elaborately set out for 'maximum comfort', was her discarded opium pipe. He bent over, picked it up and placed it on a small table off to the side of the cushions.

"Haiya?" he called, hands behind his back.

She stirred but gave no response.

He sighed, his shoulders shrugging immensely before he knelt down and prodded her on the the shoulder with an hesitant tap. "Haiya?" he repeated, more forcefully.

Slowly but surely her eyes opened and with a few blinks and a low pitched grumble of annoyance she rolled over to look at him. "Nidali." she simply said, stretching out her legs upon the cushions she was lain on.

"My Empress." he began. "Have you been... smoking, again?"

She snuffed at him and pushed the hair out of her eyes. "Was the first clue the opium pipe?"

"Humorous, my Empress, indeed." he nodded slowly and stood up once again. "We have visi-"

"I saw things." She nonchalantly interrupted, slowly getting up from her sprawled pose. "In the opium dream. I wish to discuss them, with you, Nidali."

The State-Steward sighed immensely once more and wrung his hands together. He turned to his Empress; "I implore you, your Imperial Highness-"

"Khagan." she interrupted, once again.

"- we have visitors in the Hall of Eternal Tranquility."

She stared him down, placing her hands dominantly on her hips as she raised her eyebrows. "Yes, and they can wait. I have dreams I need to discuss; for whatever reason they might need."

Giving up his resistance, Nidali turned on the spot and held his hands at his side. "Proceed, Khagan."

She shut her eyes and slowly opened them. "I saw before me a man, whose face was clouded by the mist. I could see his visage, his shadow, imprinted in my mind. He sung a song of storms and with a mighty shout, burst open the sky. The horses about him scattered in all directions; to Europe, to India, to Persia, to the Kazakhstani lands and south, south to the lands of Yuan. And then, from the sky that had been burst open by force, I saw the stars. And the stars showed to me a horror I have not seen, ever. Two spiders, in each other's embrace, locked in eternal combat."

"It sounds... the horses, and the singing, Genghis and his legacy?"

"Perhaps, but it does not end there."

"And the spiders... what symbolism could be behind that...?" the State-Steward questioned.

"Once the spiders cleared - they disappeared as their fangs were bared for combat - I saw the most confusing thing of all. Betwixt the clouds that remained, staring down at me, was a great green giant. His teeth were spears, his skin the colour of the marsh, and he flew across the sky. His tunic, white as the snow, formed the clouds themselves. And he flew off, into the distance, to lands I could not see. His arms were his wings and above he could see all."

"Your God of the Eternal Sky?"

"Nay, it cannot be - for he is blue, and this giant was green." Xayaa gave a disappointed stare, her eyes wide from her opium trip. "I think, I think it was a sign. From the Eternal Sky; that this 'Commonwealth', will block out our place in sun. In time."

Nidali shook his head and beckoned her forward. "We must proceed with caution, then. Now, you must dress yourself properly. Ambassadors from Korea are here; and they wish to speak to you."

Puyang, North Zhou

The cellars were damp and dark, with but the flicker of the flames from the oil lamp casting hues of orange and yellow onto the plastered walls. He stood there, waiting, amidst the barrels and bottles of huangjiu. A faint pitter from the ceiling indicated water seeping through cracks in the building. A building as decadent and fractured as the once united state of Zhou.

"Hello?" he called out, eventually, in his Jin accented Chinese. He shook the oil lamp in front of him, the light it cast shaking with it.

Someone emerged in front of him, the light throwing their shadow onto the cellar walls behind him. "Yes, its me, Chen."

He smiled, almost unwittingly. "About time, Liu; its freezing down here. And we have work to do." He gestured upwards, to the ceiling.

"You have work to do, Chen. I'm just here to make sure you can get away in one piece." Liu replied, looking behind his compatriot. "The cellar guards, dealt with?" Just as he said that, Chen waved his lantern in the direction behind both of them. The light now revealed two bodies, one profusely bleeding from the neck, the other lacking noticeable trauma but his body seemed distorted and misshapen. Both were nude, stricken of their clothes.

"Ah, of course, Chen. Ever efficient. I'll clean this mess up, you proceed with the mission. And change somewhere else, would you? I don't want to have to see you naked. This night is already shit enough; doing Haiya's work here is not how I planned to spend the last few moments of my life."

"Charming as ever, Liu." Chen replied, beginning to adorn the clothing of the palatial guardsman. "I do love your sarcasm, especially since now you drench your words in it rather than sprinkle."

Liu looked over at Chen as the latter man tried to move forth upwards towards the cellar door. "Did you get the bottle of huangjiu?" Chen turned on the post, showing the bottle he cradled in his arms. Liu merely nodded, tightly wrapping a piece of cloth over the slit throat of the dead guardsman. It turned crimson incredibly quickly, but Liu merely dragged it away, behind the barrels.

Chen pushed forward, emerging from the cellar in his new disguise. He clutched the bottle tightly holding it against him as one would a rifle. Stepping forth into the palatial grounds, a large central garden - flanked on all sides by looming walls and balconies - he stuck to the shadows. As if on patrol, he would circle stoically, only giving a brief nod to a fellow guardsman if they opened pleasantries first.

He continued on, the palace a maze. He climbed up staircases. He walked down corridors.

Eventually, however, he could almost smell his prey. Luxurious perfumes had lingered across the palace, but here it was concentrated. A washroom, he assumed. With fine perfumes and soaps and scented oils and all.

He tucked his helm down slightly and approached, tensed, robotic in motion.

'Easy, Chen, easy. This'll be quick. Hand the liquor to the guardsman at the door. He'll understand that the Emperor wanted some, he'll take it in - and in a few moments the Emperor will clench at his throat, gargle for help, but he'll die. The court physician in Chang'an assured me this was gu. Inhaling sharply, Chen gave a quick prayer to his ancestors.

He held out his hands without a word and the guardsman at the door took the bottle from him. He smiled and nodded and before Chen could even register what he was doing. The brute of a man opened the bottle and without even the delicacy of pouring himself a glass, pressed the top of the bottle to his lips and begin drinking.

'Fuck.'

Without a second to react, the man's grip loosened, the bottle slammed on the floor and shattered into a thousand pieces. The poisoned liquor pooled across the floor and the guardsman groaned, clutching his throat and stomach as he curled along the floor.

'I hope it didn't have to come to this.' Chen thought, giving a quick glance to the dagger at his hip. 'But it has.'

The would-be assassin pressed his hands against the door to the washroom and pushed them open. Before him was elegancy in its finest. Large racks of fine towels, the smell of incense and its braziers, lamps galore, fine rugs and soaps and a large cauldron of hot water.

There was a splash of water as the Emperor before him began to stand up in his bath. "What is the meaning of this!?"

Chen continued to run forward. "My Emperor." he pointed outside, to the shattered glass and slump body. "Someone has tried to poison you, but this guardsman - in his hubris of tasting the wine - was felled instead. Quick, quick, we must move - for the assailant might be here within the grounds, still." Chen held his hands forward, to help the Emperor out of the tub.

Their hands met. For the first time.

For the last time.

And as the man clambered out of the bath with the assistance of his 'guard', Chen drew his blade from his waist and stabbed the man in his throat. A sharp intake of air, a failed cry for help.

And a splash, as the body fell into the bath, turning the water thick and red. Embedded in his neck was that knife, engraved with a place of manufacture; Kaifeng - in the South Zhou.

The Yan Court, Beijing

Khünbish gave a heavy sigh. From his ambassadorial quarters he had come to discuss matters of 'stately importance' in the Yan court, as many of the ambassadors did. It was some sort of great game. Prod at the Yan court and watch for a reaction, watch to see what would happen in a portion of the state. And Qian had made friends in that court. Most notably of all was Xi Meilai, Minister of Statistics in the Yan Court. A stout man, with a thin moustache, and ambition beyond doubt.

Yet Khünbish thought he was a bit spineless; so far at least. He flaunted his control of the state police in words, but never actions. Hopefully, if the time arose, he'd prove himself worthy.

The other two were more men of the Mongolian's calibre; Zhao Tielang and Yang Fu - Generals, important military men who often frequented court as lobbyists. Indeed, they were to be Qian's bridge to the Minister of War, Ti Roulou. Roulou was the strong-man of the Yan court, holding the weight of the army in his hands.

"Ah, Kunbixu!" called Xi, beckoning him over with an outstretched hand. Behind him stood one of the Empresses; for some reason there were two, but he could not discern which one was which. "Come now, come. We've much to discuss, indeed."

How he hated the Chinese and their snake tongues.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

WIP

Postby Elepis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Chapter Two: King of Kings

"Their sons are carefully instructed in three things alone - to ride, to draw the bow, and to speak the truth."-Herodotus

To the Right Honourable Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Your letter, my lord, was welcomed warmly by the Shahanshah here in Tehran and by all advisers to the Great King. It is unfortunate but true that the once might House of Osman has been brought to it's frail knees and is now a threat to the health of all peoples in the region. While of course the Sublime Porte has long been an enemy of the Aryan people, we understand the danger their fragmentation poses to your as well as our interests in the region and of course any peaceful transition of power to successor states would be desirable, or at least as preferable as possible.

Thus to that end, while his Imperial Majesty does not have an ambassador resident in Naples, the ambassador resident in Athens, the honourable Mr Mohammad Reza Noori, shall depart for Naples post haste to attend this conference. As the King of Kings does not have property in Naples, the Shahanshah hopes that the ambassador will be given temporary residence in the British embassy in that city.

Grand Vizier to His Imperial Majesty the Shahanshah of Iran, Manouchehr Razavian
Last edited by Elepis on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Il Dùppio Rréno
Da Voi vorrei saper, vile carogna,
con quale ardire e come avete osato
di farvi seppellir, per mia vergogna,
accanto a me che sono blasonato!

February 21st, 1848
Reggia 'e Caserta

Inside the twisting labyrinth that was the Versailles of Naples dwelt a German, of unremarkable appearance or age, sitting at a fine oaken desk. He, however, was no ordinary German, and his desk was no ordinary desk. Both were imports, he from his ancestral, and now lost, lands of Leiningen, and his desk from the United Kingdom, a gift from his beloved half-sister, Queen Victoria. Many such luxuries as this abounded him in his office, yet to give them thought now was a luxury he did not have.

The door opened, in stepped a Neapolitan of diminutive stature, though one with a career as impressive as his moustache. Niballo Bacca was the personal secretary to Charles, and therefore a man of great influence. Only a royalist by necessity, it was an odd friendship between two who had come from greatly different stations. Yet he noble-born foreign prince and the low-born local politicker were united by their passion for liberalism, something regarded as a dreadful disease by most of the European Old Guard, which Charles technically belonged to.

"I was not expecting you until this evening Bacca." Spoke Charles in fluent Neapolitan. The King had mastered many languages in his childhood,
something his friend had failed to do in the years serving under Charles.

Bacca closed the door and took the liberty of taking a seat. He took a moment to catch his breath, evidently he had been running through the 1200 room palace, interrogating all he came across, to locate the king. Perhaps it was urgent news? "The Grand Duke is content with his lodgings at Capodimonte, but he presses as to when you intend to act against the Milanese revolutionaries?"

Charles sighed, he had had no choice in the matter of giving asylum to the Grand Duke and his family, but such an act put him against the revolutionaries. Their leader was a fierce liberal, and veteran of war, someone who Charles had hoped would have turned up at his court offering his services. It was no matter, and regardless Charles' liberal credentials had been sullied by his failure to reform his autocratic regime and absolute rule over his territories.

"Just, hmm, just do the usual with courtiers. Offer him everything and give him nothing, for now. Make sure he doesn't leave, or want to leave. Fill his schedule with hunts, painting, feasts, make him desire to stay for some months, or a year." Charles replied, returning to his letter.

"I'll certainly try my best. A letter from the revolutionaries?" Asked Bacca.

Charles shook his head, "From one of my sister's creatures, an alliance against the Turks. I had no idea Britain's silence around Hellas' desire dismemberment of the Turkish empire would turn into open endorsement. This may very well be the opportunity we need, reply to them positively Bacca."

"Very good, and have you formulated a response to the current Milanese situation?" Bacca replied.

Charles grunted, motioning towards a crudely made pamphlet. Bacca picked it up, gave a short bow, and exited the room. The German returned to his writing, Victoria had not informed him of Palmerston's intents and he was worried her creatures in parliament were limiting her influence too much. "Too much liberty, and one makes their own chains." He said, speaking while writing.

A RESPONSE TO THE EMINENT GARIBALDI

While we do so entertain the idea of a removal of all tyrants and despots, as is the Christian way espoused by our Bishops and Patriarchs, we cannot completely condone the removal of those termed 'False Kings'. We make it known that any tyrant can be removed for imperilling his people, and failing in his Christian charity to safeguard his people, to be sword, sceptre, and scales all, but we urge caution in labelling all kings tyrants. Was it not Romulus, a king, who founded Rome, and therefore Italia? Was it not Augustus, an emperor, who showed Italia's splendour to all the world? Was it not Christopher Columbus, a servant of the good Catholic Monarchs, who brought the light of Christianity, and of Europe made upon Italia, to the New World? Was it not the Kings and Nobles, foreign and Italian alike, who safeguarded Italia from the ravaging Turk hordes, in Mahomets time and that of the Ottomans?

Liberty requires protection, for a man cannot be free while chained by himself. Indeed, too much liberty, and one will make their own chains, and their enemies shall see this and enslave the man before he can free himself from his folly. An alliance then, between one educated to rule and raised to defend, and those good citizens who make the country, but perhaps lack full knowledge of how to rule wisely or effectively. An alliance then, from which true liberty and prosperity can grow. An alliance then, which shall bring Italia closer together and restore the light of Rome which has faded, but is not beyond rekindling.

We most wholeheartedly agree that a nation for Italia is needed, we feel it in our own heart as do our citizens. Yet we urge caution at attempting to create it by your radical means, we remind you, out of fear for your safety, that the French Revolution gave rise to terrific brutality, and ended up with the French people chained to a dictator of their own making, for fear of their enemies saw them create their own chains. We ask you to look further afield, to the United Kingdom, in which you can see the alliance strong enough to create a nation for many peoples, yet all feel at home and know it is theirs.

Good Garibaldi, and good Comrades of your Movement, we ask that you hear us out with keen ears, for Italia resides in us as in you. Together Italia can be forged, alone only tyranny in the north shall prevail, and sadness in the south. Seize this moment, and come talk with one you would label tyrant, and see in us only an Italian.

Signed, Carlo R.
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:39 pm

The Redshirt Republic

Chapter 2 - The Pisa Party

Theme: "Marzo Degli Spaghetti"

Milan, Grand Duchy of Milan
February 27th, 1848

KA-BOOM. The ear-shattering canon-fire screeched. KA-BOOM. The sound echoed throughout the valleys surrounding the great and ancient city of Pisa, as the canons besieging the city fired relentlessly against the defender's positions. The attack against the city had taken the defending Pisans by surprise; they had not expected an attack so soon. The army of redshirts marching under Garibaldi had made haste; following their victory in Milan, they quickly reorganised their forces; incorporating the more talented and zealous of the citizen militia into their nascent army. With training from the redshirt veterans, the volunteer commoners were fast improving in quality; though, of course, they were not yet soldiers. Currently they were held in the reserve; with the redshirts commanding the siege of the city.

It was a stroke of luck that the Grand Duke fled the city so quickly; he left behind most of his army's military apparatus. The equipment of the local garrison was enough to equip roughly half of the newly-assembled army of 10,000; the other half were equipped by the personal stores of the redshirts and from the soon-liberated garrisons of the surrounding settlements. Together with the veteran redshirts and the volunteers flocking from across Italia, the Milanese volunteers formed the bulk of the nascent Grand Army of the Italian Republic; and what they lacked in experience and training, they made up for in zeal and numbers.

As the canons bombarded the city, Garibaldi sat atop his white steed, overlooking the entire city from a hill with some of his advisors and subordinates. Among them was Giuseppe Mazzini; the rising civic face of the Republic. For while it was Garibaldi who won the battles in the field, it was Mazzini that won the battles on the home front. The two Giuseppe's were a force to be reckoned with, most thought; though most were not aware of the deep conflict between them. Garibaldi felt that Mazzini sought to attack him at every opportunity, while Mazzini felt that Garibaldi overlooked his pragmatic program. Both felt that the other was less important, and both felt that the other did not understand their own field of expertise. It was an alliance of convenience; that is certain.

"When will the infantry make their glorious charge?" Mazzini moaned. "We have been shelling the city since noon; let us end it!" he added, staring straight at a scowling Garibaldi.

"Leave the military matters to me, my friend. We both know that it is not your strong point." Garibaldi muttered under his breath, as he motioned for one of his subordinates to follow out an order. "The city will falls when it is ready to fall; it is an apple, it will fall when it is ripe."

Mazzini mumbled something in response, before the unmistakable white banners flew atop the city walls. Mazzini's jaw dropped, while Garibaldi smirked.

"And, see, the apple has fallen." Garibaldi said smugly, motioning to his subordinates to move the troops into the city. "Remind them not to sack it, please?" he told them. "We are all Italians, after all."

As the army moved into the city, they were met with mixed reactions; some cheered on their entry - clearly these were the patriots - while others scowled, spat and retreated to their homes. As they marched through the city streets, hoisting the Republican Tricolor as they went, Garibaldi noticed an oddity.

"Has the Tower of Pisa always been that straight?" he asked his officer, as they marched. The officer shrugged, and they continued their march.

When they reached the Palazzo della Carovana, Garibaldi was notified of the state of the world, and began to draft letters.

TO THE SOUTHERNER KING, CHARLES

When one has lived on the side of wall; they cannot oft grasp that the other is differing. Let me begin by reminding you, German King, that the ilk of Romulus brought Rome near to ruin; that the kin of Augustus saw themselves not as Kings, but as extensions of the people will; and that Columbus disregarded common logic. You claim that it is Kings and nobles whom have defended Italia; and yet in all these cases, the greatness has been in the people serving under those Kings and Nobles. Rome was not built in a day; but it was built by common people.

Liberty without freedom and freedom without liberty are states of being which cannot coexist; man desires liberty as he desires air, food, and water, and this desire cannot be quenched. Security comes from freedom; not from the boot of a foreign-born King. And yet, freedom may yet learn to coexist with a new kind of security; with a new kind of freedom. And, indeed, one may soon learn that an Italian can be made; not just born.

If our Roman ancestors have taught us anything, it is that disunity breeds chaos, and that chaos breeds the end of good things. Caeser and Augustus sought unity, and they found peace and prosperity. Our movement is not comprised of foreign barbarians. We are willing to talk with a fellow Italian soul; yet it must be the soul of an Italian. Not of a German; not of a King; not of a Sicilian; but of an Italian.

~Signed
Giuseppe Garibaldi, Interim President of the Provisional Italian Republic

TO HIS HOLINESS, THE POPE IN ROMA

Faith unites all true Italians; this is fact. We are all good, Catholic souls. One cannot be an Italian without being a Catholic; this is known.

We understand that His Holiness will have viewed the events in Milano with great caution; but allow me to alleviate His Holiness' fears; we are not heretics, we are not heathens, we are not enemies of Roma. We are good, Catholic, Italian souls; and we seek to act as such. We wish for all Catholic Italian brothers and sisters to share a home; and to share in charity and faith.

Our dream of Italia is not alien. It is not in opposition to the Papal dream of the Kingdom of God. We are not enemies, but allies-in-waiting. Let us unite, in the name of all Catholic Roman Italians?

~Signed
Giuseppe Garibaldi, Interim President of the Provisional Italian Republic
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

Greater Redosia
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Redosia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm

The Papal States
Chapter 1: In the name of the Father...
February 29th, 1848

It was a cold day in Rome though much warmer than the days that came before, soon February would end and March will roll in. Bringing the warmth of Spring behind it and the sunshine that was given to warm God's most precious creation, Pius crossed himself and strolled around the Papal Palace greeting the servants who cleaned the place, the Swiss Guard who defended it, and the Cardinals that knew his routines of when he went around the Palace. But much was on the Pope's mind while he greeted the others, the liberals in the secular government, the liberals in the clergy, the Italian Nationalists,the stagnant economy, and the demand for change from the populace. Pius knew he would had to make changes, he even agreed on some of the changes that needed to be done, he had many plans to enact including agricultural reforms, education reforms, and even releasing political prisoners so appease the rival factions. But before he could continue with his thoughts, a messenger ran up to him shoving the paper in his hand in haste whilst also apologizing for running into him.

"Your Holiness, a letter has arrived from Garibaldi. It was quickly given to me, so I rushed here as fast as I could." The messenger managed to speak out, panting heavily as he leaned against the wall catching his breath. The Pope began to read the message, nodding as he occasionally glanced upward at the messenger, he knew of the Nationalist Garibaldi. He was known as the enemy, the one who would destroy the Papal States, bring the end of the independent rule from the Holy Church in Italia. Yet here it was, a treaty of friendship, an alliance of Italians and the Church against all possible occupation of the Holy Church. Turning an enemy into a friend, turning the nationalists into holy warriors that would defend the Papal States, restoring the power to the Church.

"So your Holiness, what are we to d-" Before the messenger could finish his sentence, Pius moved on, the air slowly warmed but was still cold to the touch and the Pope needed the warmth for the task he has sent himself to do. He made it to his personal quarters and began writing letters back, with this he knew would change the fate of the Holy See.

To the Honorable and Pious Giuseppe Garibaldi

Yes, you truly are; for you wish to unite the people not only under their nationalities but also the faith that I have been given the responsibility to lead. Your path is one that is wanted by many, but do not forget the ones who will be harmed by such actions of which you are taking may completely change the world as we know it, such as there are many who wish to join you and overthrow my rule even though I plan on giving much needed reforms.

What I wish to suggest to you that we not only sign a treaty between the two of us, but you also come to Roma and calm the people down, for I do not fear anything from you. But the people in which I rule over myself is who I fear, such is the reason I wish for you to come to Roma so that we may speak in person.
For I agree that together we may achieve our goals, together will be a new dawn for Italia and Christianity.

May you be blessed and I pray that we can find an agreement when the time comes, for I believe God has given both of us a holy task that is intertwined.

-Signed
Pope Pius IX

Roma, Papal States, near the Colosseum

Outside the Roman Colosseum was a Swiss Guard who was leaning on his halberd, sleeping while standing up in full view of pedestrians. Several have already stood next to him, even a painter coming out and painting the sleeping Swiss Guard as the day continued on, slowly moving from early morning to late morning. After a few hours a small patrol of four Swiss Guards marched down the street and quickly took notice of the sleeping Swiss Guard, in which the lead Guard quickly marched forward and shoved the Guard over with a loud CLANG, tink tink as he hit the ground along with his halberd. The fallen Guard quickly stood at attention.

"Sorry sir, I was simply resting my eyes. That is all I was doing I swear." The Guard with the patrol held his halberd close to the other guard's neck. "What is your name, I wish to know so I make sure to know who I am disciplining." The Guard sighed and once again stood up at attention. "My name is Caflisch, I was born in Zurich" the Guard moved his halberd away, he marched on ordering the other three behind him as they continued going around the Eternal City.

Back to Caflisch he grabbed his halberd and once again standing at attention, the painter having fled when the other guards arrived leaving the painting behind in front of Caflisch. He walked around and sighed as he stared at the painting of him sleeping with his weapon and armor, he grabbed the painting with the stand and placed it on the ground next to him. Leaving the painting face up so it can dry, he wasn't going to let someone's hard work go to waste, for now he just needed to get through until the next Guard comes in to replace him. But he had to continue holding out, just a little bit longer and everything will be fine, nothing bad will happen in Roma.

Ancona, Papal States

Inside a house within the city several men surrounded a table, with several more men and women in the large room. One man was walking back and forth in front of the gathered crowd, he turned to them and nodded. He knew what he had to do, what they all had to do to gain the freedom they rightfully deserved.

"The Papal States cannot keep the people pressed down, we must do something to bring more equality, more representation of the Italian People. We must make sure that Giuseppe succeeds, so that we all may be free, so that Italia is united once more! The Romans have sadly gone, yet we prevail, the Ostrogoths are gone, yet we prevail, the Lombards are gone, yet we prevail, the Franks and the Karlings are gone, and yet we prevail! The people of Italia have always and will always prevail!" He stopped to catch his breath, the people he now noticed are agreeing and even a few cheering.

"Then my fellow Italians, one day we shall get that freedom. We shall rise up and bring the land together under the government of the people, for it is the people of Italia who should rule Italia. Not the Austrians, not the French, not the Germans or any other foreigners! Only the Italians should rule Italia! This is our goal! We will restore the rightful rule of our people and unite with Garibaldi!" The people agreed with a loud cry of approval, soon they would rise to put in place a government by the people of Italia, but for now they continued to plan and plan they did.
Member of the Cobalt Network
Want to join? Click here!

RPs I'm currently in:

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm

February 19th, 1848
Chang'an, Qian

The marvelous city of Chang'an once served as the capital city for many imperial dynasties in China including the Western Zhou, Qin, Western Han, Sui, and Tang. Now it serves as the capital of the emerging Qian Dynasty. For Kang Sang-cheon, it's a simple power move for the Mongols to reclaim itself as a Chinese dynasty. While the two officials and their party of seven soldiers waited for the servants to let them meet with their Queen, Bong-chul turned to Sang-cheon.

"Here we are about to meet the Queen of the Qians," Bong-chul stated. "I know you're with the Anti-Qian factions but let's try not get our heads delivered to the Emperor."

"Of course, we are in a fact-finding mission," Sang-cheon responded. "But we do need to let them know that the Emperor wants stability in the continent and what the Mongols are doing are not doing any good for the continent."

"I can only tame what you're saying to their queen but I hope that our attempt at diplomacy won't fail and bring the countries to war," Bong-chul said. Soon, the diplomatic party was invited into meet with the Queen. Sang-cheon turned to the soldiers, beckoning them to follow the ambassadors.

"Let's hope not," he said, worringly.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 am

Kingdom of Hellas, 20th February

It was a good day for painting, Toumazos Cochrane reflected. The sky was mostly clear, a brilliant shade of blue nearly matching the ocean below it, but just different enough so that it would contrast nicely.

He sighed as he sat down; he'd had his servants bring up a chair and an canvas along with a stand for it earlier in the day. Then he'd spent a good half an hour having them fuss around, moving the canvas and chair until everything was just right. The pillars of the ruins of the Acropolis were at the right angles and positions, the sun was at the right angle, casting the shadows just so. The sky was a perfect colour, with just the right amount of cloud, and he could see the Piraeus in the distance, where it would just make it into the painting.

He'd had to yell at the Sacred Band to get out of the painting; they were good men, loyal men, but they had little taste for art. But one did not expect soldiers to appreciate art.

And so he had whiled away much of the morning and early afternoon, the late afternoon caught him finishing his painting, and footsteps behind him.

"Lord Byron." He didn't turn around, continuing to focus on his painting.

"Your Majesty."

He sighed. Byron only disturbed him if it was important news.

"What have you come to disturb me with this time?"

"A letter, Your Majesty. The old homeland requests that we attend a conference on the matter of the Sublime Porte's instability."

"Ah. And our Parliament has approved?"

"Indeed." Byron nodded. "If they had not approved our attendance, then I would not be here."

"Of course." Toumazos smiled. One final, great war against the old enemy of Greece to see off an old war dog. It would be fitting. "They understand I am too old to attend? A journey to Naples would not be good for these old bones."

"Nor mine." Byron admitted. "Spyridon Trikoupis should suffice in our stead, should he not? I consider him a trustworthy friend."

"If you believe he will suffice, then I trust your judgement." Toumazos turned back to his painting as Byron departed to make his way down from the Acropolis.

To the Right Honourable Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on behalf of Toumazos Cochrane, King of the Hellenes, 10th Earl of Dundonald, 1st Marquess of Atacama, Lord High Admiral of the Royal Hellenic Navy, Vice Admiral of the Chilean Navy,

It is well known that there is no love lost between our nation and dynasty and that of the House Osman; however, your wish to discuss the matter of the impending demise of their ramshackle state, which much to our dismay still holds many Hellenes under its unrightful domain, is most welcomed.

Although His Majesty is sadly unable to travel to Naples to attend in person due to reasons of ill health, and for similar reasons I cannot attend, Spyridon Trikoupis, a man I personally trust and consider to be a friend, shall be attending on our behalf.

George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron, His Majesty Toumazos Cochrane's Most Loyal Foreign Secretary
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

Qian

Chapter III: Xayaa's Gambit

19th February, 1848
The Hall of Tranquility, Chang'an, Qian

"My Empress, may I introduce to this session of court the ambassadors from the Empire of Joseon."

At that, the doors to the Hall of Tranquility opened and the two Korean diplomats and their soldiery walked through. They were watched, extensively, by the gathered court of Qian. Ranging from local nobility and wealthy merchants, to generals and warlords from far off lands in the Uyghuristan. Nidali, the State Steward, was the one who had announced their arrival. He stood at the foot of his Empress' throne, at the feet of the dais, his hands entwined as he watched them curiously.

The Hall was well lit, with lamps aplenty, and natural light piercing through ornate columns at the far corners of the room. Faint scents of incense filled the air, with braziers burning through the afternoon. They were strangers in a strange land, these Koreans. Alien. Almost as foreign to the court as were the Uyghur men, clad in their uniforms and symbolic armour of lamellar around the room. They clutched their rifles with determination, unflinching, unmoving. Stoic statues of the Khagan, a symbol of her foreign-ness to the Chinese and Koreans. A conqueror from a world away.

Nidali went to speak, to introduce the two Koreans to the court, but he was quickly interrupted by his under-secretary. Under-Secretary of the State Steward Ping Pong, a Zhongyuan man with an ambition as prevalent as his long, thin fingers and rather space-consuming nose. With an outstretched hand he came before the dais, like a mantis stalking over its prey, and faced the two Koreans.

"Friends from Joseon, kowtow before the Empress of Qian. Khagan," he cough, clearing his throat, butchering the pronunciation of the word. "Khagan of the Steppes. The Black Dragon, Hanrde Haiya."

One tried to kowtow, getting to the position of kneeling on the floor, but his companion stopped him once he realised what was happening. None of the soldiery performed any movement betraying what could be claimed to be a kowtow. Some had tried to begin to kneel, but the clearly... disgruntled ambassador shook his head. There was silence and the hesitance within the court slowly unraveled.

Nidali coughed, and Xayaa looked unimpressed.

"Move to the side, Pingu." Nidali barked and the man strode off across the foot of the dais, behind the crowds along its flanks. "Ambassadors, let us forget that. Now, why do you come before the Court of Qian, before the Black Dragon?"

"The Emperor is willing to make diplomatic contact with the the Khagan," Bong-chul replied. "He sends us to represent Joseon to your court. He wants peace and trade in the continent to not be interrupted by pointless conflicts."

"Then welcome to my court." Xayaa replied. "We all wish for peace upon the continent, truly, believe me. Yet Qian's borders are large, expansive, and trouble on my borders means that peace cannot always be held." She smiled, briefly, stepping off the dais and beckoned a servant over. He held a bottle of baijiu, and he handed it to the ambassadors.

"Welcome to Qian, my friends. Drink, to your health. And let it be known that Qian has no ill well against the Sons of Joseon."

February 28th, 1848
Northern North Zhou, near Xingtai.

North Zhou burned, as from beyond the yellow river came the forces of the South. Caught in a conflict not of their own creation, the states were brought to their boiling blood feud once more. Despite the fact that it was the North Zhou who declared war upon the South first, it was the South who pressed the advantage, seizing the confusion of the apparent assassination they themselves carried out and struck northwards and upwards, to bring down and absorb the North once and for all.

Xuan Hanying could only shake his head in disappointment as he sat atop his horse. Banners of the black dragon marched before him, his elevated position watching his columns of men proceed forth into the land.

They were an army of speed. They were a hammer here to strike down upon the land, to strike against the anvil of Zhou's distracted forces, currently battling along the Puyang area against the southern invaders.

Here at his command were some 40,000 infantrymen, and some 20,000 horse, with an untold number of quick and light guns. Their goal was to conquer, and to conquer they came. Xingtai was their goal, then a decisive push southwardly to catch the forces at Puyang in the rear.

And Xuan gave the order, raising a banner on his right flank that signaled to begin. A cacophony of light guns firing, quickly reloaded, and firing again. Nay, they did not have the hard-hitting power of Wu's heavy guns, but these had speed, an unrepenting strike of the drum. For of course, not of all of Zhou's men were in the south - they had their garrisons and mobilising soldiery, but Xuan was not to let them rally. Bombard their centres, bombard their supplies, strike them wherever and whenever possible.

He had taken land already, villages behind him, some burned as a show of force. Their livestock rounded, kept as rations and stock.

The guns fired once more, pounding into redoubts and palisades. Into formations of infantry. And shells landed back, striking down onto the make-shit emplacements that Xuan had crafted in the early morn.

His infantrymen, predominantly Chinese, formed at his front. And with the beating of drums to set their tempo, did they march, in their uniforms of white.

One of his senior officers blew into his trumpet, proudly, and waved his sabre into the sky. The horsemen followed his lead, some holding their carbines, others their pistols. And he led the charge.

Swift. Decisive. Deadly.

And besides, Xuan was not to be the true conqueror. Xuan was the veil, Xuan was the screen.

March 2nd, 1848
Sanmenxia Gorge, nearing Jiyuan, the borders of Qian and the North and South Zhou.

She tightened her grip on the reigns of her horse and peered forth, almost standing in the saddle, as she inspected before her. An endless trail, men marching with their rifles pressed against their shoulders. Horses neighing every so often, as they dragged cannon through the valley. At their front and rear, a vanguard and rearguard of heavy and light horse, ranging from the lands of Genghis to the further east, Xinjiang and the land of the Kazakhs. Some 120,000 men, all.

Several of the Chang'an Guard, her elite infantrymen, marched before her without even a turn of acknowledgement. Save from the officer, who, as per protocol, stepped from the line, kowtowed on the dirt before him, and ran to catch up with the rest of his unit.

Above Xayaa, a banner fluttered in the breeze. She clutched it in her hands and it took to the skies in a mighty triumphant white plain with the Black Dragon rampant upon it. She gave a small smile as she looked upwards. Power. Ever consuming. Her train of thought was broken as her horse shook in annoyance. She looked down, pet it ever so slightly and noted one of her officers approach. Like him, she too was clad in the armour of a lamellar style, with her helmet of the Mongolian style -- with a horsehair plume and all.

"You have something to report, Medekhgüi?" She queried, staring at the taller, darker skinned and swarthy man.

He raised a fist triumphantly about his face level, then gave a salute to his Empress, to his Khagan. She had placed Medekhgüi with the outriders of the vanguard; for he was a trusty compatriot and a skilled shot upon the horse -- and an even better rider. His temperament was calm and collected. He was the epitome of how she viewed her officers to be, loyal to a fault of their own ambition, skilled and utterly competent. Yet ruthless when the time came. She had had Medekhgüi run down brigands before, and he would often return with their severed heads as proof of purchase.

"There is little resistance in the valley." Medekhgüi announced. "Our vanguard has dealt with most, running down faint redoubts and undermanned forts."

Xayaa looked at him with determination in her eyes and she let the banner raise slightly higher. "Then it seems the plan has succeeded. Zhou fights itself to the bitter end; a dead emperor brings chaos and the armies and soldiers mobilised are called to fight for their glorious state against the Southern invaders. General Xuan must be having quite the fun time in the north, especially with his surprise."

Medekhgüi nodded in agreement, steadying his horse. "And we have him to thank for a recalling of horses."

"The gambit has worked then." The Empress smiled, but her eyes remained emotionless. She held out her right arm, even as she spoke, and her falcon descended down from the sky and perched itself on her arm. She stroked its head endearingly and it squawked.

"Something the matter, Kaygal?" She held a hand to its beak, feeding it seed and crop from a sachet on her belt. The falcon cooed in happiness, beginning to peck at her hand and the food within.

Another rider approached and Medekhgüi recognised him as one of his out-rider scouts.

"You have something to report, scout?" He inquired, glaring at the man. Xayaa looked up from feeding her bird, which remained perched on her right hand, staring intently, cocking its head and the new comer.

"Commander, my Empress -- there is something you should see. We've uncovered it near Jiyuan."

They rode for a good ten minutes whilst the army trudged along behind, snaking along through the valley on their path for war. Xayaa had claimed it to them on their rallying point, describing that this would be the march that brought Zhou to heel. It was a swift, devastating strike into the Zhou lands that from which they could never recover. When she had raised her banner upon the high and galloped into the valley before them, they could not be but compelled to follow the Black Dragon into the depths of the that land.

And there it was before them, new-fangled and imposing. A station, with a great train. Upon its side was the detailed engraving of a fish, a catfish, probably symbolic of the company who constructed it. It had its coal cart, stocked and full with a great variety of cargo-cabooses stretching far beyond downwards. Xayaa inspected it, running a hand along some of the writing at the front of the train.

"Tangmashi." she said under he breath. She pondered if that was the company, or if they had indeed given the construction a name.

"This train," she began. "Its a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one at that. Do we know where it goes?"

"Well, one of the signs within says its a Jiyuan to 'Zhengzhou North'." The same scout that had brought them here declared.

"Ride back to the army, tell them to double time it here. I want all the cannon and all the infantry that can possibly fit into this to do so. Let us cut off the head before the body raises its arms."

March 3rd, 1848
'Northern Zhengzhou Station', North Bank of the Yellow River, North/South Zhou Border.

They had formed up upon the banks of the yellow river. It was a season of low tide, perfect for their offensive. Units under the command of a dismounted vanguard had taken a large quantity of river craft from the surrounding area, including what Xayaa's camp aides and staff assumed where the very same boats that the southern Zhou army had used to cross over in the first offensives of their re-ignited conflict with the North.

"The plan, and I reiterate again for my generals who are DEAF!" the Khagan snapped, slamming her two hands into the table before them. "Is to ferry our army -- with the boats we found -- across the Yellow River. We will land east, well enough east, of Zhengzhou, to begin a bombardment and to capture the city. We need to do this with time, General Xuan's messenger revealed that he's been trying his best to pepper the retreating Southern Zhou army with his forces of cavalry, but they are on the descent southwardly ever since his location and Qian's ambition was revealed."

The staff looked on, without a word, and contemplated rebuking her plan of attack as whimsical. But they did not.

"We shall have to do this quickly, so once our first forces land on the southern bank they should entrench themselves and prepare for any potential threats from Luoyang. We don't know if they've mobilised yet, but I doubt it, but it could alwa-"

"You would send our force to die on the southern bank of the Yellow River!" one of the members of her general-staff retorted, anger in his eyes. "Khagan, I truly understand your plan -- but it will not work."

"I appreciate your commentary, Dai. And for it you shall be placed on the first boat across the yellow river. If my plan fails, you will die for the men you are so considerate about." She smiled. "Unless of course you would prefer to stay here, with me, where Kaygal can have an interesting time with pecking out your EYES!"

"Medekhgüi?" She asked, once the silence had gone on for long enough.

"Yes, Khagan?"

"Take your outriders, burn and pillage the land, salt the fields and bring back supplies, produce, anything, I really don't care." She pointed towards the entrance to the tent. "Oh... and send men further north, ready to assist in harassing the Southern Zhou forces if they come south. Let them see what happens when they try to fight with the Black Dragon."

She strode out of the encampment tent, helmet in the crook of her arm and several of her staff followed her out, curious and concerned.

"Empress Haiya..." one of her clearly Chinese officers began. "What is it you plan on doing?"

She turned, determination in her eyes, and put her helmet on. "I plan to conquer."

Turning back, she began walking down the small hill and towards the river. "DAI! You're with me. And come on don't look so glum, if we die I'll buy you a bottle of baijiu when we see each other in Diyu."
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 am

弋 | 今 | 高 | 美 | 得 | 矯 | 巢 | 側 | 池 | 孤
者 | 我 | 明 | 服 | 無 | 矯 | 在 | 見 | 潢 | 鴻
何 | 游 | 逼 | 患 | 金 | 珍 | 三 | 雙 | 不 | 海
所 | 冥 | 神 | 人 | 丸 | 木 | 珠 | 翠 | 敢 | 上
慕 | 冥 | 惡 | 指 | 懼 | 巔 | 樹 | 鳥 | 顧 | 來

A lone wild swan comes up from the sea,
Not deigning to consider ponds or lakes.
To the side, it sees a pair of kingfishers,
Nesting on a three pearl tree.
So brave on the crown of a precious wood,
Have they no fear of bullets?
The beautifully dressed suffer people pointing,
The high and mighty must face divine wrath.
Now I swim deep and dark,
What can hunters admire?

- Thoughts I of IV, Zhang Jiuling

Monglung Field, Jyutdou Zau, Yue

The fibres of the brush frayed as he pushed it inelegantly onto the paper, the ink scratching out its own path. He was too annoyed for calligraphy. Wasn't it supposed to relax you? Wasn't working. Just wasn't in the mood. Also, he needed to get his windows fixed. Someone had smashed through the flimsy things a few days ago. City was rowdy these days. So was he.

He dropped the brush to the table and stood up, hooking a cup of cooling, bitter oolong as he did. He took a sip and put it down, stood there and stretched. Buggering up his attempts at calligraphy hadn't exactly improved his mood, though there wasn't much else to do that day, so at least he could go relax. Oh, well, there was still... the Korean to come? Foreigners came from time to time to take tours and arrange deals and such, usually not too taxing. Ehm, no pun intended.

His uncle had spent a while in Joseon, actually, on government business. Ties, commercial and political, went back a while. He himself had little contact, but anyway, it was something.

An errand boy poked his head in the doorway to inform him that they had arrived. This testing range was a little way southwest of the city, so he'd dispatched a horse-carriage to speed the delegation over here from the docks, to avoid the indecorum and confusion of the horse-trams. In his uncle's day, the manager reflected, it would have been a sedan, but these days the roads were much better.

Anyway, Silla Arsenal, apparently. He couldn't recall if they were officially affiliated with the government. Quite possibly. He'd find out in just a second in any case, as he walked downstairs, greetings prepared.

1848-02-26

Monglung Arsenal, Jyutdou Zau, Yue

The smart snap of the gun from two halves into a whole again was punctuated by an ellipsis of footsteps trailing after it. The master's assistant stopped just to the side of the doorway in the sepia-dark room.

"So, it sounds like the Koreans are updating too now. Not Qian yet, thankfully, but Wu, Ch-"

"Alright! Alright, I know, okay? It doesn't help to rush me. Deadlines and so forth. The government is on our backs and up our assholes. Yeah."

"You're the boss, I just wanted to let you know-"

"FINE!"

"...uh, sorry."

Apparently having intruded, he turned and left again.

Master Jiu watched browning motes of sawdust float by, sighed deeply and stood up. He avoided looking through the doorway; he walked over to a pile of prototype rifles. He swung a foot listlessly at them; they clattered as they were wont to do.

Only then did he walk through the doorway to the other room, noticeably brighter. Maa Pin sat at a little central table, pouring a tiny cup of rice wine. Seeing him emerge from the workshop, Maa procured another little item of china and poured him a cup too, standing up to bring it round to Jiu, who still stood awkwardly behind a chair.

"Sorry."

"It's okay, sit down, have a drink with me."

Jiu Japtou took a seat, and looked up at his assistant when he didn't sit back down, standing over him.

"Nin, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine, could do with lunch..."

"No, I mean, really, are you okay?"

Nin was the little-known affectionate nickname of this master gunsmith, who thereupon left out another deep sigh.

"Maa, I..."

The assistant placed his hands on his master's shoulders, moving them in circles gently. Maybe a minute of pregnant silence passed.

"I, you know, the other day... you remember the disorders?"

An image of a neat little grey-rimmed hole in pigflesh came into his mind, from gun tests, but then morphing into a ragged, reddened one, a pock in a soaking shirt, wreathed in smoke and screams...

"I saw someone die. You know the oil shop, the one with the big blue sign, on the little courtyard near the street corner... there was a man there, I was just walking past, and he was just lying there. It sounded like there was a rock in his chest, or something, just rattling away..."

Broken oil pots flashed, and a fading, jittery, only slightly wet sound, like a pebble in a bronze bell. The eyelids opened, profoundly, and then in a second closed.

Nin swallowed his alcohol. Maa Pin graduated to rubbing, and then stopped.

"And I've seen death before, you know, but..."

He sounded smaller than he ever had before, almost imperceptible, at least to Maa.

"Did I do that?"

His assistant, or at least that was the story, started rubbing again, while the master stared at his hands, clasped in a fist on the table.

1848-2-29

Correspondence

To the King of Sikkim,
From the Great Assembly of Yue,

It is our pleasure to establish more formal diplomatic relations with your state. We will find a suitable location in our embassy district, Gwaikeoi, for your ambassador, and in turn we will dispatch an ambassador to your country, to reside where you see fit. We hope these arrangements are agreeable to you and expect to have an excellent relationship henceforth.

1848-02-24

To the Interim President of the Provisional Italian Republic,
From the Great Assembly of Yue,

It is with interest and investment that we have noticed the struggle of the ancient and illustrious Italian people towards independence and freedom. Yue similarly promotes the statehood of peoples, as a just foundation for stable societies, and therefore declares official diplomatic support for the Italian cause. Of course, words are of no consequence by their own, and therefore Yue will also be sending weapons and funds to aid the cause. The Yue people salute the Italian people, a fellow nation standing up in tumultuous world.

1848-03-09
Last edited by Alleniana on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Chapter Four: The Vermilion Pencil

March 5
Cabinet Chamber
Hall of Earthly Tranquility
Daming Palace
Hangzhou
Capital Viceroyalty

"Your Radiance, eminent colleagues of the Cabinet and of His Radiance's Government, we are now faced with a very grave threat indeed," the Secretary Without Portfolio said, resisting the urge to rub his eyes as the gray morning light slumped halfheartedly through the oppressive low clouds and the smog that presently choked the city and filtered through the enormous sea-facing windows. The gas lamps in their wall sconces were like blinding stars, especially compared to the shredded filaments of fog that still lounged like sleeping serpents outside over the silver mirror of the harbor.

"I am sure that over the last several days, you have been hearing all manner of rumors and piecemeal bits of intelligence regarding events to the west, involving the Northern and Southern courts of Zhou and the Tuvan entity. Whatever you have heard, I suspect it is not nearly as serious as the truth." He looked around the room, at the dozens of assembled dignitaries and notables, ranging from the chiefs of the Imperial General Staff and the Chancellor to low-level attaches, functionaries, and magistrates he had never seen in Hangzhou before this morning. Despite the early hour, all were clad in their most extravagant formal silks, with bejeweled badges of rank seeming to glitter everywhere in the gaslight.

And in the middle of it all- His Radiance the Anfu Emperor, wrapped in state robes woven from gold thread, seated on an extravagant gilded ivory and porcelain throne so covered in sparkling diamonds and precious gems that it could hardly be looked at.

The Secretary Without Portfolio rustled some of the papers he held in his clenched right hands, clearing his throat. “Zhengzhou, it appears, has been invested, or will soon be, by a Tuvan force estimated by our sources to be between 150,000 and 200,000 men. Something like another 100,000 Tuvans have been attacking towards Xingtai as well, while Northern and Southern armies remain at each other’s throats around Puyang- still fighting over the assassination of the Northern emperor, which we now suspect may not in fact have been perpetrated by the South.”

Commander Sun rose, bowing towards the Emperor, and continued where Biming had left off. “In the estimation of the Imperial General Staff, it is unlikely that either the North or the South can emerge victorious over the Tuvan entity, and we have come to the conclusion that without some sort of outside intervention, it may only be a matter of months before the Black Dragon flies over all of Zhou. The Hubeinese have thus far not come under attack or come to the aid of their fellow Chinese, but against the power of the Tuvan entity, we doubt any display of resistance on their part could be long sustained, and could only lead to Chang’an making even greater territorial gains.”

Foreign Minister Chuan was the next to rise to speak. “The states of Ming, Shu, Yan, and Qi can no doubt be equally alarmed by this display of naked aggression- already reports have come to us from Chongqing of the Shu emperor’s personal concern and commitment to action against this brazen assault. The Ming court has also-”

The Emperor sighed, and the Foreign Minister was immediately silent as the sovereign yawned for a moment and then spoke. “Chancellor Cao- rise and provide us with the Cabinet’s recommendation on the Tuvan matter, please.”

Caihou hurriedly rose, bowing deeply before speaking, his mouth fumbling for the words as he felt the eyes of the room suddenly zero in on him. “Radiance, in light of Tuvan aggression, the imminent threat to Zhou, and Shu and Ming support, we recommend an immediate communique to the barbarian queen in Chang’an instructing her to withdraw all Tuvan troops immediately or face the full might of the Imperial Army. The Mobilization Bureau has already been activating all inactive reserves and an initial force of 120,000 men, both reservists and standing troops, will be ready to march by the end of the week, with naval riverine support, to face the barbarians if they fail to comply with this demand- we are confident that Shu and Ming armies will march with us. By the time the Mobilization Bureau’s efforts are completed over the next ten weeks, I believe Commander Sun and the Imperial General Staff plan to commit as many as 400,000-”

The Emperor waved a hand, cutting Caihou off. “Yes, yes, that will be fine, Chancellor. The Cabinet is authorized to take whatever steps are needed to put the barbarians in their place- we declare this council adjourned.”

Biming frowned slightly as the room quieted while the Emperor exited, glancing between Chang and the torn banners of fog shrouding the forest of masts sticking up from and reflected across the mirror-smooth harbor. He doesn't appreciate the gravity of the situation.

Yet.

OFFICIAL PROCLAMATION OF HIS RADIANCE THE SON OF HEAVEN, THE ANFU EMPEROR OF WU

· · ·
ALL UNDER HEAVEN SHALL TREMBLE AND STUDIOUSLY OBEY BEFORE THE EDICT OF HIS RADIANCE THE SON OF HEAVEN
· · ·

·

His Radiance, the Anfu Emperor, commands the Tuvan barbarians resident within the city of Chang'an and the Northwestern Steppes and the whole of China and Tuva, presently engaged in vicious, aggressive, uncouth, and disastrous actions in the Middle Kingdom, to immediately make haste and move to expedite a speedy departure from all lands in the State of Zhou and any other provinces or regions which they may undertake to invade outside of the areas already encompassed by the Tuvan entity sanctioned by Heaven.

·

Should the Tuvan barbarians resident within the city of Chang'an and the Northwestern Steppes and the whole of China and Tuva, presently engaged in avaricious, foolish, wicked, and demonic actions in the Middle Kingdom, particularly within the lands of the State of Zhou, but also within any other areas which they have undertaken or may undertake to invade, fail to immediately vacate these lands and studiously obey His Radiance, the Anfu Emperor, and his edict ordering compliance in this regard, let it henceforth be known that the great power of His Radiance's armies shall fall upon them and drive them forcibly out of these sacred lands, inflicting great suffering and loss upon them.

·

If the Tuvan barbarians resident within the city of Chang'an and the Northwestern Steppes and the whole of China and Tuva, presently engaged in brutal, disgusting, violent, and destructive actions in the Middle Kingdom, especially within the lands of the State of Zhou, but also within any other provinces, countries, regions, or prefectures which they have undertaken or may yet undertake to invade, do not wish to see their women left weeping and without husbands, their armies shattered upon the field of war before the might of the Son of Heaven, and their cities reduced to rubble, they will wisely heed this imperial edict and proclamation of His Radiance, the Anfu Emperor, and lay down their arms and withdraw to their own rightful lands.

[more to be added, current summary: "REEE QIAN GET OUT"]
Last edited by Senkaku on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 pm

1st March, 1848

REVOLUTION IN FRANCE!
Revolutionaries have taken control of France, with a provisional government proclaiming a “Second Republic” following King Louis-Phillipe's abdication on the 26th of February. The former French ruler is reported to have found asylum in London, and while is uncertain at this time the international response to the new French government, the world watches with bated breath.

TUSCAN FEARS
COFFEE BOOM
ZHOUS GO TO WAR
In response to Milanese aggression, Tuscan
Plantations in Brazil are reporting
Following the assasination of North Zhou's
officials have readied their forces for combat.
record profits from coffee trade.
leader, the Zhous are at war.

THE BIRDS
PLAINS RAIDERS
USCA RELATIONS
Several farms in South Hungjoeng have
Kolumbian settlers on the Western frontier
The USCA has recently
been ruined by large flightless birds
have been attacked by tribal warriors.
requested closer relations with Wu

HANSEATIC TRADERS
BOSNIAN PROTESTS
PRISON BREAK
Representatives from the Hansa have
Bosnians have begun protests
Political prisoners in Cairo
opened trading with Taungoo.
over representation in Mostar
have escaped Egyptian custody.
Last edited by The Industrial States of Columbia on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Intermountain States
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:09 pm

February 19th, 1848
Chang'an, Qian

"We'll be getting a company sized force to serve as security for this embassy," Sang-cheon announced as he read from a telegram.

"You know what you just did at the palace could get us killed?" Bong-chul asked. Sang-cheon merely shrugged.

"To bow our knees to these Mongol upstarts would be acknowledging their Queen as superior to our Emperor," he replied. "We're here on a fact-finding mission to give news to the Imperial Court, not to grovel at the Mongols' feet."

"It's common courtesy to recognize a ruler's authority in their own palace," Bong-chul said. "We're in their lands under their customs. If that court official wasn't as generous as he were a while back, do you think we would leave the palace with our heads attached to our bodies? The least you could do is to act friendly enough and to show respect."

"Being friendly is your department," Sang-cheon retorted. "That's why the Emperor assigned you to be the moderate in this mission. You'd expect him to pick me, a military official working for Defense Minister Wang Jun-min, to be the voice of Joseon in Qian?"

"No I guess not," Bong-chul said. "But could you please refrain from doing things that could make our mission more difficult than it should be?"

"I can try but no promises," Sang-cheon answered.

February 26th, 1848
Jyutdou Zau, Yue

Hwang Young-chul considered the carriage ride provided by Monglung Arsenal to be quite generous. Least it means that he wouldn't have to worry about getting hold up and the way to the destination was quite beautiful.

While Young-chul was quite proud of his accomplishment of getting the Defense Minister to adopt Yue revolvers for their officers and for Silla Arsenal to manufacture licensed copy of, he didn't consider himself to be enough of a sales genius to get his superiors to send him to Yue to procure another deal with Monglung Arsenal. Of course, better that Silla Arsenal gets their hands on new rifles to get contracted with the Imperial government rather than one of their competitors getting the money. Despite that SA got the contract with officer weapons, they're simply not enough for the company to make a lot of profits, especially with costs added to pay for some of the workplace injuries.

The carriage stopped at the destination with an interpretor announcing their arrival.

Regardless, Young-chul thought as he stepped out of the carriage. He did managed to get the Yue revolvers to be a standard issue weapon for officer. If he keep his cool and continue to do things he did, he could get the deal ready. He smiled at the manager of Munglong.

"Thank you for meeting me at this hour, I am Hwang Young-chul, the representative of Silla Arsenal," he greeted as the interpretor translates his words. "Let's talk some business."
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

The American Union
Unión Americana
União Americana

Chapter 1: The Iron Snake

February 18th, 1848
Espiritu Santo

"Bothersome rain," muttered Joaquim Moleiro de Lima as he reached forward to shut the french windows, which had been dripping rainwater onto the polished oak floors of Pioneer Hall, the expansive residence of the Chancellor. Some absentminded servant had forgotten to shut it as the stormclouds rolled in suddenly over the American capital. de Lima would have to chastise the staff for that later.

The portly man who stood just behind him looked positively scandalized that such a blemish would be allowed to occur in the home of the Chancellor. This was Jose Gallego, the Minister of Industry, who nonetheless sought to steer the conversation back to the matter at hand.

"The original plan calls for the railroad to terminate at Veracruz," he said. "If Your Excellency wishes to extend the line down to Mexico City, it would incur significant additional costs. I understand and appreciate your concerns for the farmers of Southern Mexico. It would be a great economic boon to them. But it would stretch our budget to the limit . . . "

"Quintana," de Lima said. "We contract out to Esteban Quintana."

Gallego's eyes went wide. "The rail baron?" He chewed on that possibility. "That could be viable. It would be financially helpful, given that we would merely pay him upon completion rather than purchase materials and labor during the entire length of the project. But he is already so fantastically wealthy . . . are we sure we want to make him even more powerful still?"

"I do not see how we have much of a choice, Minister," the Chancellor replied. "Budgetary concerns insist that the government not bear the brunt of the cost of the railroad's construction. We must keep funds free for the military; our naval expansions beckon, and we cannot be sure if or when Fusang will become aggressive towards us.
You can go ahead and contact Quintana and get the ball rolling on gathering materials and labor for him. It's time to bring industry to Mexico."

Alvalade Herald - February 23nd, 1848
Construction on the Sierra Madre Oriental Railroad Begins

With great fanfare, workmen of magnate Esteban Quintana's North Star Rail Company broke ground today in the village of Capilla de Guadalupe, just west of Alvalade. When completed, the planned Sierra Madre Oriental will be the longest single rail line in the Union, stretching from the capital in the north down to Mexico City in the south. In order to speed up construction, a southern work crew will begin the project from Mexico City in the coming weeks. It is the hope of the de Lima administration that, when completed, the railroad will allow farmers and artisans in Mexico to sell their goods and produce northwards and hopefully stimulate the growth of manufacturing in the southern provinces.

February 24th
Fort Estremoz
Rio Rojo - Northern Frontier

The corporal on guard duty squinted hard to make out the approaching figures through the swirling fog. It had rained the night before, leaving dripping puddles that soaked through his boots as he stood atop the wooden palisade.

There were nine of them, approaching hurriedly. Unintelligible shouts drifted up to him, but they were too far away to make out clearly. A flash of crimson drew his eyes, which struggled to make sense of the mid-morning murk that had drifted over the plains. Odd that they would all be wearing crimson, he thought.

But then there was the girl. She stood atop a small hillock, where the fog was not quite so thick. A young, tiny thing, not eight years old, her nightshirt torn and ragged, discolored with . . . Red?

It took a mere second for the corporal to understand what he was seeing. Picking up his rifle and slinging it over his shoulder, he took the stairs down three at a time and hollered into the fort. "Colonel! COLONEL! There's been an attack!"

-an hour later-

Nine had walked into the fort. A few minutes later, an old man with a grievous tomahawk wound in the head bled out. The garrison buried him behind the eastern wall along with the victims of the past winter's spate of pneumonia. The fort doctor took a young woman with a gunshot wound to the hand aside so that he could treat her.

The remaining survivors were offered water, which they accepted eagerly, and food, which they were mostly too shocked to eat. After a moment, the fort's commander, a Colonel with a rough, graying beard and wizened brown eyes emerged from the mess hall. For a moment, he merely stood before the seven of them in the spongy mud of the drill yard. There was no sound but that of anguished sobbing.

Then, in one deft movement, he went to his knees and scooped up the little girl in his arms. "What happened?" The words came out in a hiss, the furious question directed to none of the survivors in particular.

A middle-aged man with a shaved pate threw up his arms helplessly and struggled to speak through his tears. "They came at midday yesterday. Osage probably, maybe Kaw. They killed my wife, my daughters, a son . . ." he shook his head, placing a trembling hand on a young boy to his left. "Donato is all I have now. They torched the farm . . everything else is gone. Everything is gone."

A younger woman spoke up and pointed at the man who had just spoken. "My name is Amelia Dos Santos. You have my daughter Noela in your arms now. That is Sergio Paiva there. The Texeiras are the only family with a homestead north of them - no one has seen or heard of them since the attack. My husband saw the smoke from their farm and rode to see what was amiss. That was when they came." She held her head high, in such a way that made it clear she knew her husband was dead too.

The Colonel went around and collected separate accounts from all the survivors. Other than father and son Paiva, most were the Dos Santos children. One man had been a surveyor camped dangerously far into Indian territory. The woman with the gunshot wound had come from the Zambrano homestead, and apparently was the only survivor.

All told, the garrison had an accounting of seventeen deaths and twenty-two missing persons. That number fell to twenty-one when a Jesuit missionary with an arrow through his leg rode through on a foaming, sputtering horse.

As the sun set and day turned to night, the Colonel and his officers gathered in the armory, where an ad hoc meeting was being thrown together. A messenger had already been dispatched south to inform provincial and national authorities, but for now it fell to the cavalrymen of Fort Estremoz to decide what to do.

An earnest lieutenant couldn't keep from piping up. "Well sir, we only have a week's rations stored behind these walls. Given the time it will take for reinforcements to reach us, perhaps we should withdraw south-."

"Withdraw?" The Colonel leveled an icy gaze at his subordinate. "We will do no such thing. I want both companies turned out and saddled up in the morning. Tomorrow we ride."
Last edited by Rodez on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Saunrea
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Saunrea » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm

To: the State of Yue

For the respected recipient of this letter,

With this communication most cordial and reverent salutations are delivered by the people and sovereign of Tibet. But shaped by the harsh environment our nation has sprouted and grown in, the Tibetan state would certainly prefer to be more straightforward in delivering the real content of this message. However again the dignities as needed between sovereign states is to be acutely expressed with this.

Tibet currently holds both an important and dangerous position: it is at the intersection of four major cultural spheres, and offers a viable and safe alternative trade path to the west for various nations of the Cathay and even those of the west experiencing odds with the Qian, which our state has continuously attempted to reinforce. However, the mountainous terrain our nation is in has limited significantly potential of economic development and despite best efforts there is still a long way to go for Tibet to substantially modernize. Should this be unable to be accomplished, you may face this safe passage being crushed by hordes from the north, or indeed any other direction.

The sovereign of Tibet hereby proposes that stronger cooperation be cultivated between our esteemed states. We would like to formalize an alliance between our entities, with this contained will be cooperation in economic and political matters, such as assistance of modernization of Tibetan economy and military, in exchange for special privileges for Yue commerce on Tibetan channels as well as material exports where feasible. With expansionist tendencies in Qian gradually emerging, this would also help to consolidate our nations and interests against potential Northern aggression and perhaps function in barricading their hordes.

This partnership would certainly yield plenty for both our nations and peoples.

The Throne of Tibet
Saunrea: Fascist pseudo-China/DPRK. Under comprehensive national renovation.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 am

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

Alles Erdreich ist Österreich untertan!

Gottes Sonne strahl' in Frieden, Auf ein glücklich Österreich!

Vienna, meeting of the Secret State Conference
Wien, Sitzung der Geheimes Staatskonferenz

"This is unacceptable. France, and now Italy? We can not allow these revolutions to survive. We can not allow these so called revolutionaries to do whatever they desire. Their actions are in a clear violation of the protocols of the Congress, their states are threatening our empire and the very order that we have established. We can not allow these liberals and anarchists to drag Europe back into an age of terror and bloodshed, where even the last peasant will be able to behead a monarch! Not even God will be able to help us if we don't act now. We have to mobilize the army, we have to summon the Confederation and the Holy Alliance, and we need to invade both Italy and France. That pathetic coward of a French King has to be brought back on his throne, and Grand Duke Francis has to take the power again in Milan. We have no time to waste."

The old and angry man who was walking around the room in circles was none other than Louis Joseph Anton Johann of Habsburg-Lorraine, Archduke of Austria and Prince-Royal of Bavaria, the uncle of Emperor Ferdinand and the chairman of the de facto ruling cabinet of the Austrian Empire, the Secret State Conference. The members of this secret organization were meeting inside of the Schönbrunn Palace, trying to decide the future of the Austrian Empire in these precarious times. Not much time had passed ever since Vienna was shocked by news of yet another French Revolution, as rumors about a new bloody age of terror had started to spread.. and messengers had just brought forth the news that Milan and Pisa had fallen to the Italian revolutionaries. Combine that with all sorts of rumors and reports about agitations throughout the German realm, and the anger and frustration of the Archduke could now be more easily understood. Archduke Louis, or well, Ludwig, as his German name was, was a strong and rigid supporter of the old order and of absolutism, a friend and strong ally of one of the other men who were present in the room - Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein. The State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of Austria, the mind behind the Congress of Vienna, the diplomat and genius behind the Concert of Europe. These two men were the ones controlling Austria with an iron fist, in the name of absolutism, and in the name of the divine right to rule of their master, Emperor Ferdinand.

On the other side of the room were the two men fighting for a more liberal Austria, for the rights of the people, for a compromise between the monarchy and its subjects. Franz Karl Joseph of Habsburg-Lorraine, Archduke of Austria and younger brother of Emperor Ferdinand. Sitting on a chair next to the younger Archduke was Franz Anton von Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky the descendant of a Bohemian noble family which had remain loyal to the Habsburgs, being forced to go into exile in Austria. Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky was the great rival of Metternich, a liberal politician who wasn't shy about his political views, a declared enemy of the Congress, believing that it had weakened Austria, and a great supporter of the notion of a constitutional monarchy. Most of the meetings of the State Conference was at least a little heated, but each of these four men wanted the best for Austria - in their own ways.

"Your Highness, with all due respect, Austria does not have the necessary military forces to fight such a war on two fronts against two other powers. Even if we summon the Confederation and the Holy Alliance, it will take time for reinforcements to arrive. We can not risk the existence of our empire for the thrones of Louis-Philippe and Francis. I suggest we keep our forces in defensive positions along the borders with France and the Italian states. We should also guarantee the borders of Venice and of the Papal States and try to bring them under our protection if we wish to keep our current influence in the Italian peninsula.", Count Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky calmly explained. Unsure about how to respond, Archduke Louis looked at Metternich, and the Chancellor hesitated. "I have to agree with Count Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky in this matter. We need to be careful. We should use the revolution in France and the aggressive conquests of the Italian revolutionaries as an excuse to mobilize our forces. Double the pay of the members of the Imperial Guard and bring their forces in Vienna. Recent reports about the activity of subversive movements have been.. concerning. We shall reinforce the armies in Elsaß-Lothringen and on the border with the Italian peninsula. We should contact the new French and Milanese governments and offer them the possibility to negotiate, but we should declare our support and protection for Venice and the Papal States in order to protect our interests. In the meanwhile, we should call for a meeting of the Bundesversammlung in Frankfurt, and contact our allies in Saxony and in the Commonwealth. May God help us all.."

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

Austria est imperio optime unita!

To signore Giuseppe Garibaldi

The Austrian Empire is extremely concerned about the events that are currently unfolding in Italy. The revolt against Francis II of Este, Grand Duke of Milan, and the subsequent attack of the so called Provisional Italian Republic on the Most Serene Republic of Pisa are both direct violations of the terms of the Acts of the Congress of Vienna. His Imperial and Royal Highness, Ferdinand of Habsburg-Lorraine can not tolerate these attacks against the just and right order of Europe, these attacks and the rightful monarchs and rulers of Milan, Pisa, and the entire Italian peninsula. However, his Imperial and Royal Highness knows that the terms of the Acts of the Congress of Vienna were not completely fair towards the people of the nations of Italy. As such, the Austrian Empire is willing to meet with delegates of the provisional government of the Grand Duchy of Milan in order to discuss the current situation and to negotiate a possible solution. The duty of a monarch is not to oppress his subjects, but to bless them and to protect them under the light of his scepter. Even if the monarchs of Milan might not have acted in the full interest of their people, we are sure that an agreement can be reached, one that will respect both the people and the just order imposed by God.

Signed by,

Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein, State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of the Austrian Empire, in the name of:

His Imperial Majesty, Ferdinand the First, By the Grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Bavaria, Slavonia, and Croatia; King of Jerusalem etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia and Carniola; Duke of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Friuli and Guastalla; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; etc., etc.

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To whom it may concern in the new government of France

The government of His Imperial and Royal Majesty, Ferdinand I of Habsburg-Lorraine has watched the events that have been unfolding in France with a lot of concern. We believe that the creation of this so called Second French Republic is a threat to the order and peace established by the Congress of Vienna, but we can also not ignore the abdication of King Louis-Phillipe I. Because of that, we have to ask the so called provisional government of France to clarify its position on the Acts of the Congress of Vienna, on the situation of the monarchy in France, and on the situation of Elsaß-Lothringen. Our legate in Paris, Richard Fürst von Metternich-Winneburg will be waiting for an answer.

Signed by,

Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein, State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of the Austrian Empire, in the name of:

His Imperial Majesty, Ferdinand the First, By the Grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Bavaria, Slavonia, and Croatia; King of Jerusalem etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia and Carniola; Duke of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Friuli and Guastalla; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; etc., etc.

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To His Holiness, Pope Pius IX

Your Holiness, I write this message in the name of my Emperor, Ferdinand I. His Imperial Majesty wishes to assure you that the Austrian Empire will protect the full independence and sovereignty of the State of the Church by any means necessary. We will not allow those Italian revolutionaries to defile the Ecclesiastical States and the Catholic Church. His Imperial Majesty is ready to send troops to Rome in order to help the forces of the Church against any external or internal threats. Before that however, his Imperial Majesty would like to enquire about the position of your Holiness and of the Church in regards to these Italian revolutionaries.

May God help us all.

Signed by,

His Imperial Majesty, Ferdinand the First, By the Grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Bavaria,Slavonia, and Croatia; King of Jerusalem etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia and Carniola; Duke of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Friuli and Guastalla; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; etc., etc.

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To Her Royal Highness, Queen Vesa Tzavaras of the Kingdom of Albania,

Your Royal Highness, the Empire of Austria and the Kingdom of Albania share a common enemy, Hungary, and a common goal, the destruction of the Hungarian state. In the name of my Emperor and King, I have been authorized to open negotiations with your government for a possible cooperation between our nations in the very near future. For that, the Austrian Empire would like to send Gabriel, Freiherr Herbert von Rathkeal to Durres in order to represent His Imperial and Royal Majesty's government and interests in Albania, with a diplomatic mission with the rank of a legation. The Austrian Empire would be honored to host a diplomatic mission of Albania in Vienna if your Majesty wishes so. We hope that this cooperation will be highly beneficial to both nations.

Signed by,

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To the governments of the Kingdom of Saxony and of the Commonwealth of Four Nations

In the light of the recent events in France and Italy, and with concerns about possible revolts throughout the German Confederation against the order established by the Congress of Vienna, the Austrian Empire has decided to mobilize its armed forces. In virtue of the agreements of the Holy Alliance, the Austrian Empire would like to ask for a partial mobilization of the military forces of the Kingdom of Saxony and of the Commonwealth of Four Nations and for a full military support against the so called Second French Republic and against the so called Provisional Italian Republic if necessary, in order to protect the order established by the Concert of Europe and in order to maintain peace in Europe.

Signed by,

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To the nations of Italy

In the light of the recent events in the Italian peninsula, the Austrian Empire officially declares its support for the Most Serene Republic of Venice and for the State of the Church. Through this declaration,
the Austrian Empire wishes to guarantee the current borders, the independence, and the sovereignty of Venice and the Papal States against any revolutionary threats.

Signed by,

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To His Royal Highness, Toumazos Cochrane, King of the Hellenes, 10th Earl of Dundonald, 1st Marquess of Atacama, Lord High Admiral of the Royal Hellenic Navy, Vice Admiral of the Chilean Navy

The recent revolutionary events in Italy have forced the Austrian Empire to declare its protection for the Most Serene Republic of Venice in face of any revolutionary threats, but the government of His Imperial and Royal Highness, Ferdinand I, fully realizes that the current existence of the Most Serene Republic of Venice is a problem that will bring conflict and tensions throughout the region. In the light of these events,
the Imperial Austrian Army will try to protect the mainland territories of Venice from the Italian revolutionary forces, and will try to negotiate a possible restructuring of the Most Serene Republic with its government.
As such, the Austrian Empire would like to negotiate with the Venetian government the possibility of Greece taking temporary control over the Venetian islands in the Eastern Mediterranean in order to protect them from actions of the Italian revolutionaries, if the Hellenic government wishes so.

Signed by,

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

To the governments of the member states of the German Confederation

Due to the recent developments in France and Italy, His Imperial and Royal Highness, Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria, King of Bavaria and so on, Head of the Präsidialmacht of the German Confederation wishes to call for an emergency meeting of the Federal Convention of the German Confederation in the city of Frankfurt, on the 4th of March 1848.

Signed by,

I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Jaslandia
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jaslandia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Kingdom of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia
Prague Castle, Prague, Bohemia
March 1st, 1848

With the Brussels conference having concluded with only vague promises and declarations being exchanged, King Louis and Foreign Minister Marcel Falkenrath had returned to Prague. But by now, the protest situation in the capital had reached a boiling point. In Louis’s absence, Crown Prince Maximilian had promised political reforms that would reduce the power of the King, and as public anger had recently turned toward Louis’s extensive use of government funds to support his lavish building and restoration projects, Maximilian promised that those would be much reduced. However, while King Louis agreed to those terms, the public would not.

Finally, in desperation, Maximilian sent a delegation to protest leader Matouš Hruška to figure out what they wanted. Hruška replied that he and his group felt they couldn’t negotiate in good faith with Louis and his government; they didn’t trust Louis to keep his word (especially on reducing government expenditures on palaces and castles), and that they didn’t think the mostly German top officials had the interests of the majority of Bohemia - meaning the Czechs - in mind. Thus, Hruška made two demands (on top of what Maximilian had already promised): King Louis would abdicate in favor of Prince Maximilian (as Maximilian was seen as both friendly to the Czechs, and frugal enough to end Louis’s rampant spending), and that Czech nobleman Ferdinand Joseph z Lobkowicz be appointed Chancellor (the Lobkowicz were one of the oldest Czech-Bohemian noble families, and Ferdinand Joseph was known to be a patron of the protests and of Czech nationalism). The delegation carried word of these demands to the royal court, and with Louis and Falkenrath back in Prague, the time had come to decide.

“Your Majesty,” Chancellor Franz von Streissburg said, “I am willing to do what must be done to protest Bohemia and your dynasty. If this is what is needed, I would like to resign as Chancellor.”

“Nonsense!” Louis replied. “You’ve done good work, Franz, and some silly Czech rabble-rousers shouldn’t be able to demand your removal like that. Perhaps if they’re being so intransigent, a show of force is necessary?”

“Your Majesty, I have to caution against that,” Falkenrath said. “Violence would just make things worse. As it is, we have the upper hand here: the protesters are still amenable to your dynasty and the monarchy, and they’re willing to resolve the situation peacefully. Should we escalate by sending in the troops, the protesters will become more radical: they may demand the removal of the Wittelsbach dynasty, or maybe demand the end of the monarchy altogether, and they may be willing to use force to get what they want. We can work with them, but first we must agree to the terms.”

“And get me to abdicate? Not a chance in hell, Marcel! I shudder to think what would become of me. Where would I go? Could I ever be safe since these protesters seem to hate me so much? And as I said before, the notion of some radical nationalists dictating terms to a King is just absurd! We already agreed I would not abdicate under any circumstances, did we not?”

“I know this isn’t an easy decision,” Interior Minister Jakub Vlasák interrupted, “and yes, we did agree that you would not abdicate. But things have changed. I talked to my inside man among the protesters, and he says that they’re in talks with other revolutionary groups, particularly the Italians, and with foreign weapons manufacturers; they haven’t made any deals yet, but they’re ready to move forward with the talks should you refuse to abdicate.”

Louis put his head down and put his hand on his forehead in despair. “I just don’t understand,” he bemoaned. “These protesters seemed like nuisances, but not violent revolutionaries. What changed?”

“It’s the other revolutions in Europe,” Falkenrath said. “First Milan, then France, and now it's our turn. It’s emboldened the protesters, and they will stop at nothing to get what they want. Please, Your Majesty, for the good of the Kingdom, you must—“ the Foreign Minister was interrupted by a messenger walking in.

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything,” the young courier said.

“Well, it’s too late now,” the King said. “What is it?”

“Message from Austria, Your Majesty.”

King Louis grunted. “Leave it on the table, boy. Other issues demand our attention.” The messenger did so and then left the room.

“For the good of the Kingdom,” Falkenrath finished, “you must abdicate.”

“But where will I go?” Louis wondered “I don’t want to be a wandering vagabond, condemned to the poverty of an ex-monarch.” Falkenrath knew that the King was exaggerating the situation, but nevertheless, the Foreign Minister comforted him.

“We already talked to the protesters about that. Right now, they will allow you to stay in Bohemia and retire to Olomouc Castle, perhaps even with a small court and staff. But they said if we hesitate too long, they will ask for your exile. Please, Louis, leave now while you can.”

The King knew by the first-name address that his Foreign Minister was serious in his advocacy. Louis sighed. “Get me pen and paper,” he said. “I have an announcement I need to make.”

Official Abdication of Louis III; King of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia

My dear citizens,

I have sat on the Kingdom’s throne for nearly 23 years now, and I have been proud to serve my nation and home. I always strove to do right by the Bohemian people, and to enact their will with benevolence and fairness. I am still proud of my accomplishments as a monarch.

Nevertheless, it is apparent that I have lost of the confidence of the people, and that my people wish to see a change in leadership. Therefore, effective noon tomorrow, March 2nd, 1848, I hereby abdicate as King of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia. My eldest son, Crown Prince Maximilian, will ascend to the throne immediately after, with a coronation date to be decided later. In agreement with my government and the relevant stakeholders, upon my abdication, I shall depart to Olomouc Castle for retirement, where I shall spend my days as a patron of the arts, a philanthropist, a community leader, and if called upon, an advisor to the Bohemian government.

Furthermore, as my last act as King, I have accepted the resignation of Franz Wilhelm von Streissburg as Chancellor, with Ferdinand Joseph z Lobkowicz to succeed him as Chancellor. I commend Franz for his many years of work for this government, and I believe Ferdinand will be just as able a leader.

I thank God for the opportunity to lead the people of Bohemia, and I hope that He will also bless my successor, and the whole Bohemian nation. May God save Bohemia, and may God save King Maximilian!

Signed, Louis III

To: Klemens von Metternich, State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of Austria

Greetings to you, honorable Chancellor,

I have received your message calling a meeting of the Federal Convention of the German Confederation. Though we are currently facing a domestic issue regarding a transfer of power, we will be able to attend this convention. I shall attend this meeting in Frankfurt on behalf of Bohemia, though by the time I arrive, I shall no longer be Foreign Minister; rather, I will be Bohemia’s Ambassador to the German Confederation. Accompanying me will be my successor as Foreign Minister, Prince František z Colloredo-Mansfeldové. In light of recent events in Bohemia, we think we can offer a unique perspective on the issues facing the German states, and we look forward to this conference.

Signed, Marcel Falkenrath

Prague Central Station, Prague, Bohemia
March 2nd, 1848

At Prague’s first and (so far) only railway station, a large crowd had gathered. Just 45 minutes ago, King Louis III had officially signed his Instrument of Abdication, and was now on his way to Prague Central Station, from which he would start his journey into retirement at Olomouc Castle (the railway only went to Brno at the moment, so Louis would go as far as Brno by train before transferring to horse-and-carriage the rest of the way). The crowd was mostly jubilant: a few were traditionalists, who adored Louis and were sad to see him go, but most were tired of his extravagant ways and were looking forward to having the simple and frugal Crown Prince Maximilian on the throne.

Finally, two horses pulling a luxurious carriage pulled up to the road in front of the station, and out stepped the now-former King Louis, dressed in the simple suit of a local politician rather than the elaborate regalia of a monarch. Much to Louis’s surprise, the crowd cheered when they saw him. However, the King’s surprise soon dissipated; while there were less boos and hisses than he expected, the former monarch still understood that most of those who were cheering were cheering for his departure, not cheering for him personally. As soldiers of the 1st Royal Household Guards Regiment (one of the regiments tasked with protecting the King and the royal family) cleared a path for Louis to walk into the station, the King looked at the faces of the crowd: some were happy, some were sad, some were angry, but most had a look that could only be described as pure relief.

On the station's Platform 1, Louis met his now-former Chancellor, Franz von Streissburg: Franz had arrived at the station earlier with much less fanfare, and was now waiting for a different train to take him to the Streissburg ancestral estate in Silesia, the running of Franz intended to take up now that his career in politics was effectively ended.

Franz smiled at his former superior. “So, this is it, huh? We were once at the top of the world, or at least the top of Bohemia,” Louis chuckled at this, “but now we’ve both been forced from power by the mob.”

“Been a crazy year, hasn’t it?” Louis replied.

“1848 hasn’t been a good year to be an elite, I’ll tell you that,” Franz agreed.

“Still, there will always be elites, Franz,” Louis reassured. “These revolutions are only exchanging one set of elites for another. I just hope the new elites know what they’re doing.”

“Yes, indeed.”

A few minutes later, as a crowd behind the former king looked on, the 1:55 train to Brno pulled into the station, and as the crowd roared, the abdicated Louis III stepped into a first-class carriage, ready to begin his retirement. As the train pulled out of the station, one of the men in the crowd shouted “The King is dead! Long live the King!” The cry was soon picked up by others, and soon the whole assembly was shouting “The King is dead! Long live the King!” Louis wasn’t actually dead, of course, but the old Bohemian political order was, and as the former monarch’s train vanished from view, a new order ushered over the Kingdom of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia.
Last edited by Jaslandia on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Call me Jaslandia or Jas, either one works
This nation (mostly) represents my political views.
Factbook
Puppets: Partrica, New Jaslandia, Kasbahan
Pro: Regulated Capitalism, Two-state solution, nice people, Nerdfighteria, democracy, science, public education, rationalism, reason, logic, politeness, LGBT rights, feminism, UN, Democratic Party

Anti: Religious extremism/fundamentalism, terrorism, dictatorship, oppression, hatred, bigotry, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, conspiracy theories, Stalinism, theocracy, social conservatism, corruption, Nazism, Vladimir Putin, Republican Party

In-between: Religion, socialism, Barack Obama

RP Population: 675,000,000

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

CHAPTER 1
Section I: Princess of the Black Eagle

"The Skipetarë are intact people who conserve the traditions of their ancestors, proud and tidy people of freedom "
-Peter Tassini, 1455

The land of Albania, the Principality of Arbanon, the Kingdom of Illyria, many names circulated for this country, but all shared a common value- the spirit of the Black Eagle. It mattered not whatever names the land was granted, for names were fickle, temporary, and constantly shifting. What mattered was that the spirit of the land had been upheld for two thousand years, and would be upheld for two thousand more. The fierce warriors of the land had beaten back the Eastern Romans, and when the Turks came they too were beaten back. With each new threat faced by the land of the Black Eagle, there was a powerful rebound. For each war, the nation grew stronger. For each success, the Albanians prospered.

The Princess, or Queen as some called her, overlooked the view from the window of her medieval castle. One one side, to the east, could be seen the mountains that had made the country infamous in history. On the west could be seen the ancient city of Dyrrhachium, known to its inhabitants as Durres. It was a city as proud as it was ancient, and one of the few major urban centers of the land that unified the Albanians into one people. Tribal and traditional as they were, they could respect the authority of the Crown of the Black Eagle, of the one who sat on the throne in the ancient city to lead them in unison against their common foes and towards their common interests.

With a great sigh, Vesa felt a contentment that the dawning of a new day alone could offer. She saw before her a country with limitless potential, the stories of her ancestors echoing through the shadows of the past into a brave new world of possibilities. She could recall many, but none could surpass the epic poems of the folk musicians, able to sing out for hours without pause the ancient stories of the Albanian heroes, and the Illyrian gods. Quite impressive, the whole show, but it was simply to be expected- Albania was a land of tradition, and where other parts of Europe had failed the land of the Black Eagle had succeeded marvelously in preserving its deep roots.

Vesa turned away from her window and looked at the two costumes prepared for her. One was the ancient costume of the land, an ensemble of white and black and red, of dress and bodice and apron and shawl, with a scarf for the head that, unlike those of the Turks and their Middle Eastern subjects, bore no real functionality in covering the hair so much as in simple accessory. The other costume was that of the West, a fanciful and frilly gown with corset, with gloves and lace and crinoline. Looking over her two options, it took but a brief time for her to settle with the more comfortable, and more traditional, Albanian costume- quickly changing from her night clothes to the full attire. Donning several pieces of traditional jewelry to accompany, she bore the perfect resemblance to the Albanian maiden, one personification that grew out of the recent trend of such things, one based on the ancient queen Teuta and often named such, or granted with the name Illyria. Simply said, it was an easy choice- and it was not as if she needed to impress anyone foreign particularly.

Now properly dressed, Vesa went to the throne room to sit for a while. The throne had been used by Skanderbeg himself, although the throne of the rebellion was still at its original location elsewhere. It was a comfortable seat, to be sure. Upon resting her hind, she assumed a powerful stance, her head resting on her fist, her elbow on the arm rest, leaning to that side, and legs crossed. It was at this point that she was approached, after a few minutes of simple sitting, by an Austrian messenger bearing word from his homeland. He read out the letter, the princess nodding along- her German was decent, but by no means fluent or even particularly good. It was a formal diplomatic education of the language, and the Austrian local peculiarities made it further difficult. Once the messenger finished, she sat for a while in silence- not contemplating the path forward but instead simply trying to process what she had heard. Once all the connections in her mind had been made, she spoke again, with a simple "danke", and called out to her scribe.

Jugno, a Dalmatian plutocrat's son, responded to her call. Well educated in the formal diplomatic languages, and particularly those important to trade in the Adriatic, she did recite her response to him that he may translate, transcribe, and send it away to the Austrians. She spoke word by word, deliberate and careful, but still clearly in a flow from her mind and unwilling to embrace utmost and peculiar formality to displace what she felt came naturally to her in response. Once the letter had finished its transcription, she had Jugno seal it and send it away immediately. That would be that.

With the letter finished, and the message sent, she considered the implications for her people. Long had the land of Albania felt irredentist pride, a sense that much territory lost to the ages need be reclaimed under the benevolent rule of the Black Eagle. What had once been any other nationalism turned to revanchism, and many calls were made to reclaim the rest of what the Romans dubbed Illyricum, all lost territory according to the national epics and folk heroes of the land. A great struggle had been constantly waged with surrounding peoples, but now with Austrian support, the dream came ever closer to a reality.

This seemed satisfactory. Although more allies might be sought in the near future, the immediate concern was Austrian appeasement and friendship. The influence of their dynasty over Europe historically had been so strong that extending such an offer to the Albanian people felt quite lopsided- but perhaps there was indeed a glory in the Albanians, a fighting spirit famed across Europe, that made them valuable allies even in their limited numbers. Albania was the land that could never be subdued, even when conquered it would fight and war and win, retaining autonomy and independence under any occupation.

So it would be. It had been quite some time since the Albanian marines last tasted war, but the soldiers were far from inexperienced. Tribal conflict and single combat kept them all well within the warrior spirit, as well as practiced in the arts of war, but led to scarce few casualties in the process. The decentralized nature of the government was its own best friend, as the warriors of the land would indeed remain quite ready and able to war when called upon, and if left to their own affairs would suffer not widespread casualties. Such it was, and so it goes.

Vesa watched as the messenger walked out, closing the door behind him. She smiled, for the future of the Albanians was bright as the sun. She gave a gentle sigh, watching the beaming light of such a future on the very horizon. She felt a quiet contentedness, a contentment that the dawning of a new day alone could offer.

To His Imperial Majesty, Ferdinand of Austria,

The people of Albania weep. They weep because their brethren suffer under the hands of the Hungarians. They weep because the ancient land of Illyria remains under foreign occupation and oppression. They weep because they have been displaced, first by Slavs, then by Turks, then by Magyars, but they shall weep no more. I, under authority of the unified tribes of Albania, accept your proposal for cooperation against the Hungarian menace. Your delegate will be received warmly, and we will send one Bashkim Dushku to your empire in response. We are eager to open further negotiations about the future of our cooperation, the benefits we shall entreat to one another, and the mutual glory that is yet to come.

Signed, Jugno di Cataro
on behalf of
Vesa of Tzavaras
Princess of Arbanon, Queen of Albania, heir to Skanderbeg,
heir to Illyria, possessor of the Crown of the Black Eagle, binder of the tribes,
inheritor of Teuta, affiliate of the Romans, daughter of Erjon, etc.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Qian

Chapter IV: The Dragon Awakes

Chang'an, Qian
March 6th, 1848.

Her visage was tiny and quaint, wrapped like a cocooned caterpillar in fabrics and silks galore. Her cheeks sagged downwards, stretching out her visage. Her hair, kept upwards in a tidy and tied fashion, was graying, with streaks of white that marked the shocks she had received in life. She gave little to no shadow. Her steps were careful and tiny, with two dutiful soldiers at either of her sides, holding her by her slender, tiny hands to guide her steps.

Nidali gave a bow as she entered the Hall of Tranquility. In his hands he held several documents and sprawled across his face were emotions of confusion and doubt, a furrowed brow and tired eyes.

"Mother Empress." the aged statesman and State Steward declared.

She turned to face him, seemingly perking up at the sound of his voice. Slapping the gauntlet-ed hands that guided her, she flailed aggressively. "Take me forward!" she yelled, "Take me forward!"

The mother of the Black Dragon. A scornful woman, draped in the finest clothing - much more Chinese than her native Tuvan. Nidali frowned slightly as she approached as the not-so-fond memories of her story filled his mind. She was hunched over, her fingers ever clenching. Twitching. As if they were clutching reigns upon a horse that did not exist.

Belek-Maa, the wife of Khüzhüget, Khagan, Emperor, whatever he wished to be called.

Nidali remembered the day well. It was a painting in his mind, an event he'd never forget. A royal hunt on the steppe, running down leopard and tiger from the north. And Khüzhüget fell from his horse by accident, his foot caught in the stirrup, where he was trampled to death by his steed. Belek-Maa had seen it. She had witnessed his death as she rode along side him, painful screaming doing naught to halt the horse.

Her hair had gone white after that; Nidali could only assume from the shock. Then she lost her sight in her elder years, becoming a frail, unable-to-fend-for-herself, former ruler.

"Where is Xayaa?" she asked once both her attendants assured her she was just before the State-Steward.

Nidali flared his nostrils momentarily, pursing his lips together in thought. "She's out."

"Out? Out where?"

If the State-Steward had something in ample reserve, it was an untapped mine of dry-wit buried somewhere deep within his brain. "On tour, I am told. She's paying the Zhou a visit."

The woman scoffed heartily. "A visit? Yes, of course. The spineless lickspittle of the Zhou would never do that to us, we... foreigners." She spat out the word, distastefully. "We invaders." Her two attendants gave an uneasy stare, but Nidali just beckoned them away.

"Where do you send them, State-Steward?" Maa asked, tilting her head.

"You do not need them here, to talk. I know you despise them so."

"Yes, you can see it in my eyes you overgrown bureaucrat." She stamped, angrily. The Black Dragon's temperament, indeed. "Now where is she?"

Nidali paused, exasperated. He exhaled, rather loudly, from his nostrils as he walked around the woman. "She's invading; of course." Maa did not react, nor did Nidali think she was shocked. "Of course you know that. She's probably already told you."

"Yes; and I was perfectly clear to her that she is not to undergo such actions."

"You do not control the Empress."

"You forget your place, Steward -- she prefers Khagan, by the way." The old woman chortled, her silks wobbling as she shook ferociously.

"And you forget yours, Belek-Maa." Nidali retorted. "You were once my superior; yet no longer. The Black Dragon is my sole superior and I shall do as she asks. She took this course of action on her own volition, with the advice of the General Staff a-"

"Those sniveling horses?! Bah!" she paced about, feeling around her to make sure she didn't stumble. "They couldn't stand up for themselves if they had sticks strapped to their legs."

Nidali sighed again. "There are more pressing matters of our concern." He raised his hand, as if showing what he was referring to. "A telegram arrived at court today, from Wu."

Kaifeng
March 15th, 1848

The Black Dragon had aggressively swallowed the land.

An unstoppable force that had risen over the Taihano Mountains and descended down, spreading forth death and fire in the wake of its ever present majesty.

The lands of south Zhou were now its treasure trove. Its serpentine body, with its innumerable claws, circled around the ancient, majestic and imperial city of Kaifeng. The heart of Old China, now within the possession of the invader. The foreign. The 'Tuvan Entity', as the pompous perfumed man in Wu called them.

Xayaa could only help but ponder as she sat on her new seat. The hall was brimmed with her general staff, her officers. Filling the ranks, as if they wished to be there, the old-elite of the city, the captured prisoners from the capital of Zhengzhou and a further entourage of her own nobility that had followed her but weren't necessarily warriors.

At the very least, she was amused.

'Tuvan Entity', the rider dispatched from Chang'an had informed her. A telegram from Wu, straight to the capital, demanding a withdrawal. A withdrawal from land rightly conquered. None in China would have objected had anyone else 'intervened'.

Yet here she was, with the north soon capitulating before her very forces.

All was going according to plan. Soon, all the land of the Zhou would have succumbed to Qian. She would become a dagger into the heart of every Chinese state. The unstoppable beast of a time they'd long to see gone.

Music began to plow, loud and bombastic - yet also harmonious and tranquil. Regal, almost.

And here she was - not in her regular attire, no. She would have preferred the garb of battle, her lamellar armour she wore out of tradition rather than practicality. Her 'mongol helm', upon the saddle of her horse, charging through the battlefield as shot whizzed around her.

But no. This was a personal matter, now that Wu had snuffed its nose into matters that did not belong.

With all of China watching, she stood upon the dais now in Kaifeng. The former halls of Emperors.

With all the ancestors of China watching, she stepped forward as she donned antique jewellery and regalia found within.

With all of the spirits that roamed that hall, with all the tapestries and paintings staring down at them, the room kowtowed. The nobles and the generals, the captives and the captors.

They kowtowed before Dañ-Xayaa Khertek, Khagan.

They kowtowed before Hanrde Haiya, descendant of Genghis, heiress of Kublai, Empress of China.

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Military Lands of the Scottish People
Senator

Founded: Jul 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Military Lands of the Scottish People » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

France. A nation once again enraptured with the romance of a Republic, of a free nation, of a great nation. Napoleon III, the Nephew of the late Napoleon the First, had seized this moment, his movement. He believed that he was one of a series of great men, created for a purpose, a purpose to make France rise to the Empire it deserved. This, this sole belief, drove him to return to France. Embracing the Republican belief, he became extraordinarily popular. He was even arrested for a day, and released in less then twenty four hours. Being put into the Nationale Assembly, he became one of the most powerful, successful, and arguably best smooth talker within the Assembly. This put him into the light with the proposal of the "Emergency Act of 1848", where he went against Adolphe Thiers and Victor Hugo. He won, by a slim majority, proving himself more then capable of running the Assembly. He considered himself unstoppable.

In control of the Army had organized the placement of the French Army along the North East, 75% of it actually beginning to focus there. As well, he was given even more men as a "Nationale Armee" was being created, consisting of another one hundred thousand men. He, and many others, stated that the Revolution is only protected by the musket and saber; that they had learned not to let their Guard down. Styling himself in a military uniform as well as going on inspections weekly, he became a subject of scrutiny by his enemies, claiming him as another Bonapartist Pretender. His relatives, such as Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, Lucien Murat, and Pierre Napoleon Bonaparte had supported him, being elected into the Nationale Assembly.

France was divided, between the love for the Bonapartes an the Radicals who saw them simply as offenders to the Republic. Whether the first is true, what is for certain was that they were not going anywhere.

A close associate of Louis-Napoleon was Claude-Marius Vaisse, a former lawyer who was the Prefect of Pyrénées-Orientales during the time of the July Monarchy, had began helping Louis-Napoleon prepare a list of enemies and those who may be in the future. Finding laws, loopholes, and preparing legal documents, the process was planned to last a year. The two knew the Republic was damned from the beginning, however they were planned to ensure it lasted till their deaths. They knew the popularity of Louis-Napoleon, and hoped to exploit it in the months coming.

The Nationale Assembly had wrote to the ambassadors in Paris of various nations, including that of Austria and the United Kingdom, that they were permitted to speak to the assembly regarding the new Republic.

French Naval Operations were focused primarily on the Mediterranean, hunting down the small amount of Algerian and Libyan pirates who roamed the coast. However, Louis-Napoleon was preparing a plan to begin production of a new fleet, hoping to bring people into the Lumber and ship-building business while also supplying him the fleet he required for his Empire. The plan itself started secretly, with only several people knowing including some lumber business men. It was planned to be proposed in the next convention of the Nationale Assembly.
If you need to contact me, the best way is through either joining the Cobalt Network Discord or adding me on it. My username is Hollywood #6420. I get on NS once or twice a week on average.

I have been on here for a while and I have came and went but this Region, Cobalt Network, its full of great people. I recommend you try to join it.
Proud Cobaltian Citizen, November 13, 2017 - Present

Minister of Internal Affairs, March 23rd, 2018 - October 13th, 2018 (two terms)
Vice President, January 16th, 2019 - May 8th, 2019 (One Term)
Recipient of the Cobalt Iron Cross during 2018s N Day.
I do not put a lot of effort here, in regards to my signature, I hope that does not make you think any less of me <3

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Chapter Five: Off To Battle

18th March, 1848

CHINA GOES TO WAR!

After the rejection of the Hangchow Ultimatum of March 5th in spectacular fashion, with an imperial coronation of the Kian empress in the ancient Sung dynasty imperial capital of Kaifeng, China is now erupting in war! The ultimatum came after Kian armies invaded the divided State of Chou, arousing the hostility of the States of Wu, Shu, and Ming. With Chou forces, previously engaged in a civil war, having lost their major cities of Cheng-chou and Kaifeng, it seems as if the only hope for China's heartland not to fall under Kian domination now lies in the armies of the coalition.

Soldiers of the Wu and Ming armies are presently advancing west across their respective states' borders with Chou, spearheaded by the fearsome Wu Imperial Guard, while a vast Shu army is reported to have marched north from Chungking, possibly jeopardizing the safety of the Kian capital city of Hsi-an. Outnumbered and with threats both before and behind them, it seems that the tables have been turned on the Black Dragon, but it remains to be seen whether the Kian warrior empress (reportedly at the head of her army in Chou and responsible for their triumphant victory at Cheng-chou) can escape the trap.

Whatever the case may be, the world will wait with bated breath as the situation unfolds, perhaps forever altering the balance of power in China.

22 March
Western Expeditionary Force Field Headquarters
Bozhou
Coalition-occupied Southern Zhou

Commander Peng Jian sighed deeply, looking down from the window at the thousands of campfires that gleamed like fireflies all around Bozhou. Two Ming armies had marched west from Bengbu and Xuzhou, around 60,000 men in total, to converge on Bozhou, while the 120,000 men of the Wu army had hurried north from Lu'an by way of Fuyang. Not all of them had arrived yet, and parts of each army were stationed in the surrounding area as well, in case the Qian had approached without their knowledge and were preparing for an attack. Between those stationed further from the city and those who were still marching north, that left just short of 100,000 men camped in the fields or billeted with local farmers, villagers, or townfolk. Bozhou was not a large city, and its citizens now found themselves outnumbered by the coalition soldiers. They'd also begun to encounter Zhou soldiers- from both the north and the south- retreating or fleeing aimlessly, confused, just trying to escape each other or the advancing Qian armies to the west that had apparently already enveloped Kaifeng and Zhengzhou.

Some had fought, at Fuyang- but not for long. Jian ground his teeth at the memory as he stared at the darkened fields, studded with golden stars. Stupid boys. Kaifeng in flames, what did they even have left to fight for?

I suppose better to ask what they had to lose- the answer is the same.
His artillery batteries had acquitted themselves well, where the organization of their enemies had been sufficient to even merit their deployment- he could see, in his mind's eye, the beautiful, tragic view through his telescope of green Zhou boys, nervously waving muskets and banners, being blown to pieces and enveloped in the dust clouds of the avalanche of shells.

Jian turned around, remaining quiet as Commander Sun nodded politely to one of the Ming generals and spoke in response. "I agree. Securing Shangqiu and the route to Xuzhou will be important to keeping our supplies adequate and moving more soldiers up from the south. I'm sure we're all also in agreement that the Tuvans will try to meet us in the field before we reach Kaifeng- if we're forced to invest Shangqiu, then that will complicate matters, no matter how well Commander Peng here directs our artillery and how swiftly we batter down their defenses."
The chief Ming commander nodded. "Reports from our scouts and spies suggest that the city had been besieged by Northern forces, but that Southern troops broke their hold- both sides have sent most of their forces to defend their respective capitals, but by the time we advance it's possible that more will have drifted into the Shangqiu area. We'll just have to wait and see as we prepare to march."
Jian walked over to the table, frowning down at the enormous maps sprawled across it with figurines scattered across them and notes scrawled here and there. "Being able to bring ammunition from Xuzhou via Shangqiu would certainly help- if we have to besiege Zhengzhou or Kaifeng, I anticipate we'll need quite a lot of it, so..."

POST SUMMARY:
-Wu troops march north from Lu'an to Bozhou via Fuyang, Ming troops converge on Bozhou along a broad front; Triple Coalition eastern army assembling there in preparation for a march on Shangqiu and Kaifeng.
-Large Shu army (Coalition western army) reported to be marching or preparing to march north through the mountains to attack Chang'an.
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Greater Redosia
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Redosia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm

The Papal States
Chapter 2: ...And of the Son.....

March 19th, 1848, Roma Papal States

Pope Pius IX was outside the walls of the Vatican and in a small cafe in the streets of Roma, Swiss Guards standing at attention nearby with their halberds at the ready if a threat were to arrive. Pope Pius looked across the small table at two business owners and other members of society who have some sway, he picked up the small cup and drank from it, setting it down gently. "I wish to discuss about cooperation in expansion of domestic manufacturing and expansion of agricultural production, also possibly expanding the roads and bridges across the nation so that the people may travel and transportation of goods is easier." The first business owner pulled a pipe out of his mouth, "We would love to do such things, but as you know times are not easy and money is not easy to come by. So we have to be...convinced." Pius sighed and pulled out a small envelope and handed it to the group, they opened it and read what was on the paper, "As you can see my friends, the Holy Church is willing to give you benefits involving less taxes and monetary support in expansions of manufacturing, agriculture and infrastructure. But do not take my generosity and kindness as weakness, I am doing this for the Lord and for the State of the Church." A courier arrived and sets down a satchel, inside are several more envelopes and they are handed to the other members at the table. "Well your Holiness, I believe that we may get along just fine." Pius smiled and get up from the table, a carriage arrived just in time and the Pope was escorted into it. The coachman urged the horse forward with the reigns and they were off back to the Vatican.

A few hours later, Pope's study

Pope Pius was looking out the window of the Holy City of Roma, almost like he was in another place he could see it burning as mercenaries plundered the city, the Swiss Guards fighting to the last man while the other 42 Swiss Guards urged him out of the Vatican. He shook his head and saw the pleasant sun fall upon the ancient city. He turned away from it and slowly made his way to his desk, setting a dip pen, paper, and an ink well. He began to write several messages, especially a reply to the Austrian Empire.

To the Honorable Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of the Austrian Empire

Dear Honorable Chancellor Lothar, I write this message in reply to yours and we thank you for guaranteeing our independence from the external and internal threats of the Holy Church and God's Kingdom on Earth. As for your inquiry on my stance of the Italian Revolutionaries I believe they are working for their own cause that is a direct threat to the State of Affairs to the Holy Church. I plan on possibly establishing a coalition of the fellow Italian States against the Revolutionaries so that we may be safe, so we hope that you will keep your word when the time comes and that your Emperor's rule shall continue unhindered and that their work for the Holy Church shall not be forgotten.

We thank you for your devotion to the Church and may your rule be blessed by the holy Lord.
Written and Signed by, Pope Pius IX.

To the Leaders of Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Most Serene Republic of Pisa, Duchy of Ferrara, Most Serene Republic of Venice

I write this letter to you in a request to form a coalition against the rising power of the Provisional Italian Republic, for this new nation born on the aspects of peoples' rule over others. This could not only threaten the rule of the Holy Church but it will most likely threaten your rules as well, so we see that a defensive coalition and mutual support between our nations to prevent further revolutionary activities and an expansion by the Italian Republic.

We await your response
Written and Signed by Pope Pius IX

The Pope put the pen down and left the letters to dry, the sun was still in the sky but it was already starting to set. He raised himself off his chair and left the room to walk the halls of the Vatican, the Pope's mind was concerned with the change in the political landscape in Europe. Such as the rise of the French Republic to the Northwest, a problem that could cause Republican sentiment in the lands of Italia and the French Republic could give support to the Italian Republic militarily. The only hope the Pope had was if the royalists were to bring a victory and reinstate the King. For if this were to continue who knows what could happen to the balance of power in Europe.

March 23rd, Civitavecchia, Papal States

The port in Civitavecchia was bustling with activity as traders offloaded or loaded up cargo off and on the ships, hoping to sell their goods at the port or at far away lands. But there were many who stood out of place, such as five catholic missionaries who were hand chosen by the Pope to prepare their voyage to foreign lands of Sokoto, Zulu Kingdom, Merina, Joseon, and Japan. As well as fifty Swiss Guards and the five hundred strong Aragonian Regiment. The five split off towards their respective ships, the Swiss Guards splitting off into five groups of ten, and the five hundred strong regiment of Aragonians going with one of the missionaries. The regiment spoke to each other as they marched to their ships, "So why did they decide to send us with this one missionary?" asked one of the volunteers to his higher up, "Well I've been told that we are heading to the Kingdom of Merina, which has been known to prosecute Catholics and other Christians alike. So we are leaving with this missionary and the Swiss Guards to ensure his safety." The volunteer looked back ahead and quickly turned his head back, "Are we going to be okay?" his higher up stayed silent for a while then finally responded, "I do not know, I mean we might, they will only have sharpened sticks while we are bringing guns and the Swiss Guards are in full plate armor with their halberds and their own guns. I believe we should be fine, especially if the Lord's hand will be with us to protect us. We shall be fine". The two finished talking and started to board the ships, who knows what may lay beyond the lands of Italy in the far beyond in Africa and Asia.
Member of the Cobalt Network
Want to join? Click here!

RPs I'm currently in:

Intermountain States
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 am

March 24th, 1848
Hanseong, Joseon

Defense Minister Wang Jun-min looked over the design of the ships that are currently in service in the Joseon Navy. The Panokseons and the Turtleships were developed during the reign of Emperor Seongjo to replace the aging Gwiseon. The Turtleship was a technological marvels of its time, having developed by General Yi Sun-sin as a floating fortress and an upgrade to the already potent Panokseon. 11 cannon holes on each side with two cannon holes on the front and the back of the ship. The head of the dragon at the front of the ship was also large enough to house a cannon. In addition, the Turtleships also have a large cover with spikes all around the top to deter enemy boarding. Despite its protection, the Turtleship was a maneuverable and fast vessel, making it a powerful tool of Joseon.

Perhaps during the reign of Seongjo and Injo, the Turtleships and the Panokseons would be ferocious machines of war. However, it's been centuries since the reign of Seongjo with Hyomyeong being the current Emperor. Technological marvels of yesterday are now outdated junks of today. There were efforts by the Imperial Court to revitalize the Imperial Navy but concerns of Qian had placed greater emphasis on improving the ground forces. Because the Tuvans lack a powerful navy, there weren't many concerns in developing the Imperial Navy with some officials talked of scrapping the fleets all together.

Of course, this was opposed by some officials and as a compromise, the navy was allowed to stay at its current strength, in service to protect trading routes around Joseon. So the outdated fleets are ordered to patrol the seas to look out for pirates and invading ships. The Emperor, however, wants some serious revitalization to be done to the navy, not wanting to neglect the Imperial Fleet in case the Tuvans by a stroke of luck, got their hands on more modern warships.

Now, Jun-min sits in his office, sipping a warm cup of tea while looking over potential reforms into its current warships. So far it's been a difficult task and Jun-min understood why previous defense ministers abandoned revitalization projects with its current navy. The greatest threat to Joseon in the sea would be Wokou pirates and the outdated ships are more than abled in defeating them. It just feels like too much effort for too little gains.

After thanking a low level bureaucrat, the Defense Minister looked over an encyclopedia of modern maritime powers. "Perhaps this book will give me answers," he said to himself as he flipped over to an entry.

"The British Empire has to be one of the powerful nations in the civilized world," Jun-min thought as he read a work on the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland. "With holdings all over the globe that could rival even Yue and Wu and their appreciaton of trade, maybe they can help out." The Britons did established relations with the Imperial Court during the later reign of Sunjong, having sent a lord by the name of Orson Craddock (the inhabitants of Europe have an interesting naming custom, Jun-min thought, their personal name is written in front of their family name) to represent their consulate. He remembered the Rites Minister Yi Geol marveling over their advanced ships and an idea struck him.

"I need you to head over to the British consulate and to hand this letter to Lord Orson Craddock," Jun-min said to a bureaucrat.

"You can count on me to accomplish the task, my lord," the bureaucrat bowed before leaving the office. Jun-min sat down on his chair and poured more hot tea into his cup. Now it's time to wait.
Last edited by Intermountain States on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 pm

March 26th, 1848, Hanseong, Joseon

Lord Orson Craddock

Lord Orson Craddock strode into the office of Defense Minister Wang Junmin with all of the confidence of a man born to influence and authority. A sharp man with silver hair and startlingly blue eyes, his family had prominence stretching back centuries. Though he had initially found his way into the offices of politics by the maneuvering of his father, his current position owed entirely to his own merit.

While he had a sharp mind, as well as an apt understanding of the machinations of foreign politics, his true talent lay in recruiting and directing other talent. This in part had been why he had been assigned to the east. Craddock was far better able to appreciate the customs and innovations of the easterners than most of his countrymen. As translators dutifully hustled to take up positions by the Defense Minister's desk, the rather stern looking man smiled at Lord Orson.

“Greetings Honourable Lord Craddock, I hope your travels were not trying. Will you take refreshments?”, he said, gesturing to a plate of what appeared to be cakes and flower scented tea.

“Certainly, thank you”, Craddock said, happily taking a steaming cup of tea, but avoiding the cakes, “I have been informed that you wish to discuss efforts that may require British assistance?”

“That is correct ambassador. Joseon long ago maintained a powerful and effective navy, and though we have accomplished many great things to build our prestige and influence, our fleet has not held to this. Our ships are old, and no longer serve as the deterrence that they once did. Raiders have taken advantage of this, and Joseon merchants can no longer count on our protection at sea, and thus have been forced to rely on land routes for trade. This coupled with the threat of the, Tuvan Entity, to the west have made us very keen to rectify this state with some speed.”

“And you would seek our aid in modernizing your navy from Britain, no?”

“That is once again correct.”

“Excellent. I shall contact my engineers, and Captain Walsh of the Amphion. It has a newer form of propulsion, screw power, which is much less vulnerable to disabling by enemy fire, and I would very much like to use it as a reference for our own improvements. I would also ask you to contact anyone of talent in your nation for naval engineering. Joseon may have an outdated fleet, but the concepts behind many of the ships are solid, and with my government's assistance, these concepts can and will be transformed into a formidible force.”

Wang Junmin nodded, “I am pleased to hear that Britain is so keen to aid in our naval revitalization, but I must ask, why are you so willing to help us?”

“Britain is faithful to her allies in their times of need, we do not shy away from problems we are more than capable of rectifying.”

Smiling darkly, Craddock continued, “And once you see the 'power' of the vessels which we will construct, I am certain that you and your government will find creative and productive tasks for them to undertake. Britain may even be happy to assist in these endeavours. After all, as friends we are obligate to help one another, no?”

Orson reached for the pot of tea on the desk, refilling his glass before continuing, “These pirates, these vermin that attack your shores, they are just a symptom of a larger illness in your neighbour, one that cannot be stopped just by a few ships patrolling your coasts. More... decisive action needs to be taken.”

“What are you proposing?”

Lord Craddock raised his hands defensively, “Oh, I'm not proposing anything, yet. Neither is the British government at this time, at any official capacity that is. However, I do expect for your government to do that when the time is right.”

Confusion crept onto the Defense Minister's face for a moment, and then he turned to his translator, “I am afraid that I do not understand your meaning.”

Craddock shrugged, “The only way to cure a sickness fully is to eradicate it at its source. Yamato has been a primitive, backwater nation for far too long. In keeping to its antiquated customs and shunning progress, it has allowed desperation to drive its people to violate the sovereignty of your own.”

Lord Orson paused to sip his tea, “The simplest solution, and the correct solution in the eyes of my government, would be to eliminate the offices and institutions that allow for these pirates to operate with impunity.”

“You are suggesting the overthrow of the government of Yamato?”

“I am suggesting that it may be time for the peoples of Yamato to have governance that values progress and the prosperity of its citizens rather than dogged adherence to an outmoded system of tradition and hierarchy.”

Craddock leaned forward, once again smiling, “Such as ours.”

The Defense Minister pondered for a moment, before replying, “This is an interesting proposal, however, I will first have to consult my government of course, before making any firm decision.”

“Of course, Britain will assist with your naval restructuring no matter your decision on this course of action. I would implore you, however, to consider the possibilities that this would bring, and the protection that it would guarantee the people of both Joseon and Yamato. In any case”, Lord Orson raised his glass to the defense minister, “To the friendship between Joseon and Britain, and our future enterprises.”

Missives

Addressed to the Leaders of the Provisional Government of France

The British government greets you, though wish it was under better circumstances. Though the nation will endeavour to work with the current government of France, it will not condone the unraveling of the peace established three and a half decades ago. In the spirit of hopeful cooperation in the pursuance of prosperity and stability on the continent, we send a message in the open form of warning.

Let no mistake be made. It is of the utmost importance that France does not return to the horrors of the earlier chapters of this century. Britain will defend her friends and allies on the continent, and any aggression undertaken by France against these states will be treated as a direct assault on Britannia. We hope you will heed our words.

Signed by the Right Honourable Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Addressed to His Majesty Maximilian, King of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia

The British government sends warm greetings to you, and we look forward to a continued productive relationship with your Kingdom. Britain will reaffirm its commitment and friendship to Bohemia, and hope for further cooperation in the pursuit of prosperity for both our peoples.

Some degree of concern however, has been raised at the circumstances of your ascension to prestigious office. The British Government wishes to send an additional official to observe and analyze the unrest currently building in Europe, as well as to ascertain its effect on your own. While our continued friendship with Bohemia is not conditional to this arrangement, it is preferred.

Signed by the Right Honourable Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Addressed to the Leaders of the Honourable States of Persia, Hellas, and the Dual Kingdom

We are pleased to receive your favorable responses towards this endeavour. With our nations working together, a prompt return to prosperity and stability will be able to be seen through in the darkened lands of the Ottoman State.

British representatives will be sent to Naples for the prior discussed meeting, which we recommend to be held on the 14th of April. We look forward to your replies,

Addressed to Secretary of State John Fremont

Greetings to you Secretary Fremont. I in the spirit of felicitation hope that this missive finds you well. I also write to you with the details of an arrangement that promises to be most lucrative to Brazil.

The Plymouth-Atlantic Steam Company has already established several profitable ventures in the territories of the United Kingdom, and we seek to further build up our assets in a country of kin and shared heritage. This considered, I would ask you on the behalf of the Company to consider allocating funds towards production of railroads to be initially constructed from Jamestown to nearby cities and towns, with further expansion to more northern territories in the future.

The interests of Brazil are those of the Company, and thus, I hope you will consider with earnest this proposal.

Signed by Lord Henry Darcy, Chief Executive of the Plymouth-Atlantic Steam Company
Last edited by The Industrial States of Columbia on Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am

-:Saxony:-

The two gardekorps standing outside the King’s quarters were professionals. They can withstand the withering blows of the enemy fire and then respond with their own fury. They were veterans of several small border skirmishes in the patchwork of German states. Lastly, they know what it truly meant to guard the king, what things to not hear and how to shield their charge from any harm, physical or otherwise.

There was no sound coming from the chamber. Their gazes was focussed ever forward and maintained their vigil.They did not hear the barely muffled thrashing inside, nor did they hear the barely muffled shouts of anger of the king. If there was a sound coming from the chambers they had been oblivious to it and are dissuading any servants from eavesdropping from something that is not there. They did however, her the shuffling of feet and after five minutes the door opened. When the king walked past them they fell into step immediately, follow the king with his every step.

To anyone not used to guarding the royal family they might think that the king muttered something, but he did not. And if they did hear something, which the gardekorp did not, he might have said something along the lines of “useless coward.” Nevertheless they were not here to eavesdrop upon the king, a beat passed and the two broke their facade of professionalism and looked at each other. Another beat passed and both of them nodded at each other, both agreeing that this isn’t the time to bother the king with their ailments.

-:Saxony:-

“The French are having another revolution! We cannot let another Napoleon rise up and threaten the confederation once more! I am determined to defend German lives! In our doorstep, the foolish Bohemians have revolted against their betters! We must ensure that the debauchery of liberalism does not spread towards our country. Right as we speak, the liberals at Berlin dare to spread their lies and filth towards the masses. I am determined for this liberalism to be crushed by all means necessary whether the rest of the world see its necessity or not.”

King Frederick reached inside his coat’s pockets. “This right here is a missive from our Austrian allies asking us to help them to curb liberalism! I myself, would want to help them, but we have more pressing matters at hand. Before we go out cleaning our neighbour’s yards we must ensure that ours isn’t riddled with garbage.”
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Grab your gun, point it at bad guy, pull trigger.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 pm

To the Right Honourable Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Your letter, my lord, was welcomed warmly by the Shahanshah here in Tehran and by all advisers to the Great King. It is with great honor that we will send our representatives to Naples, as per the date of 14th of April. Mr Mohammad Reza Noori of Athens, as per of what we have the closest to Naples.

Grand Vizier to His Imperial Majesty the Shahanshah of Iran, Manouchehr Razavian
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse