NATION

PASSWORD

The Madhouse [Role Play Group - Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

27 Jan: Should OP hold players to a standard for their personal conduct outside that game/group?

Yes - because their actions reflect negatively on my RP/group, even if those actions are done in other places
22%
Yes - because I can't trust them to not do the same in my own group/RP
16%
Maybe - it depends on if Mods were involved
14%
Maybe - it depends on what my group wants to do
14%
No - because people make mistakes, and this player's mistake didn't happen in my group
22%
No - because it's none of my business
12%

Total votes : 50

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm

I honestly don't really remember anything, but I believe here we were let out of school to be with family for that day. It was pretty scary, I do remember that much, but I didn't understand the full scope of it for years, really. I don't have really many memories of what things were like before that though. Wasn't old enough, and really only focused on what directly affected me.

Though personally the idea gio mentioned, that the world was more innocent and happy seems mostly true for the US than anything else. Its not like the places America kept intervening were in very good states before that compared to after.

I do kind of agree with Gio on the last point. I wished it wasn't as big of a thorn in america's consciousness as it was. It was horrific as hell, but we've also used it to excuse so many bad things and occupations that by now have cost more human lives and suffering than the event itself.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Though personally the idea gio mentioned, that the world was more innocent and happy seems mostly true for the US than anything else. Its not like the places America kept intervening were in very good states before that compared to after.

Never said they were.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Holy Lykos wrote:Though personally the idea gio mentioned, that the world was more innocent and happy seems mostly true for the US than anything else. Its not like the places America kept intervening were in very good states before that compared to after.

Never said they were.

Yeah, I know, I just felt the need to clarify that for some reason. Sorry bout that :P
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 pm

I was in 1st grade. Since we were an hour behind the east coast, I was still in before-care (I guess that's the best term for it) when it happened. None of the staff or teachers gave us any indication that something had happened (though, a few years later, in 5th grade, I heard that the 4th and 5th graders did watch coverage of it on TV), and so as far as I was concerned, it was a completely normal day, until my mom picked me up, and asked me if I knew what a terrorist was. I said yes, but gave her the definition of tourist, instead. That's when she told me what happened (at least, very simplified). I, not fully grasping the gravity of the situation, thought it was cool.

I honestly don't remember what the school's response was the next day, but I remember watching the news coverage each afternoon after I got home from school.

I knew something very odd was going on 2 days after, since my mom still hadn't punished me for getting 'bad' (i.e., less than a B) behavior grades (I never did anything super bad, it was just the result of undiagnosed ADHD) since the day it happened.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm

I think I'll take that Mentor dude's advice with the Region re-foundering then.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 pm

I heard about it when I was having breakfast. I got sent to school anyway.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 pm

I was 5 at the time, and despite the effects of the event at that time, Indonesia wasn't really quite in the mind. Mind you, it's been just 5 years after Reformation and the fall of New Order, and four changing presidents didn't help matters. We sent condolences, I believed, but that's probably it. Of course, I much more understood the problem and the incident when I was in junior high, tellingly also kind of feeling angry about the American repercussions with Iraq despite them probably have less reasons to associated themselves with 9/11. I began to felt strongly more on Islam and be a good Muslim in general (Generally speaking, being good Muslim in Indonesia itself is a controversial thing since there are organizations that based good Muslims on their own standards)

Giovenith wrote:My closest memories come more from the early aftermath. By the time I was kindergarten, they were sending in police officers and stuff to talk about the event and the things that would have to change now in society to prevent it from happening again (I basically got a heads up about the future TSA - silly baby me obediently cheered it on at the time). Adults around me started whispering "Osama" with each other like it was a bad word. My mom started spending more time on the early internet researching and and talking to people in other countries, since the event had served as a shocking revelation: she, and everyone she knew at time, had been under the quaint belief that America was the undisputed greatest country on Earth and that all other nations loved us and sought to imitate us. So when we were viciously attacked out of the blue, it threw her worldview for a loop and she sought to understand why anyone would be angry with us. Everyone talks about how 9/11 inspired a kind of hard-headed patriotism, but for a lot of others, it was the opposite: while there was of course still sympathy and a desire to protect the country, it also revealed to them the first time America's less than stellar tract record when it came to international affairs. They didn't hate the country or thought we deserved it or anything like that, but the golden myth of America being a utopia beloved by all that could do no wrong was gone forever.

This, basically. Perhaps the major reason why America turned out to be like now is that they deceived themselves and thinking that they are the best, the greatest, everyone loved them, no enemies whatsoever. 9/11 changed that perception, and it shows in shades (to me) that US is trying to restore that same image in the post-9/11 era. Perhaps by not trying to fix things and not invading everyone, they went for a worse result.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 pm

So reading through some old threads, I started thinking about a question that's always been in my mind but I've never really gotten the chance to fairly explore, mostly because of how messy it is.

But how exactly do you think one makes an emotionally fragile character without making, for lack of a better word, a crybaby? Characters that are broken and have gone through a lot of shit in their lives are among the most interesting to follow, but they're also so astoundingly easy to fuck up. It's easy to go in trying to make a character that people are supposed to feel sorry for and want to see regain their strength and wind up making one that comes across as melodramatic and emotionally manipulative.

This isn't meant to be a veiled excuse to complain about such characters. I've just thought about it a while and realized I really don't have many solid answers about what separates success and failure with these types of characters, it always just seems to either work or doesn't. I'm curious about what others think.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Giovenith wrote:So reading through some old threads, I started thinking about a question that's always been in my mind but I've never really gotten the chance to fairly explore, mostly because of how messy it is.

But how exactly do you think one makes an emotionally fragile character without making, for lack of a better word, a crybaby? Characters that are broken and have gone through a lot of shit in their lives are among the most interesting to follow, but they're also so astoundingly easy to fuck up. It's easy to go in trying to make a character that people are supposed to feel sorry for and want to see regain their strength and wind up making one that comes across as melodramatic and emotionally manipulative.

This isn't meant to be a veiled excuse to complain about such characters. I've just thought about it a while and realized I really don't have many solid answers about what separates success and failure with these types of characters, it always just seems to either work or doesn't. I'm curious about what others think.

Man it's been awhile since I've posted here.

But in my experience a good way to have them go about it would be for them to fake courage or what have you, and then silently slink off later to deal with it. As far as dealing with it goes, it could just be some crying, or it could be causing said character to force it down until he or she inevitably explodes. Show a scene or two of the character being scared, crying, or being very emotionally vulnerable. Either they wind up a broken mess who just wants to die or they manage to pull themselves back together and trudge onwards. Depends on the story you want to tell.

The Madhouse Role Play Group
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Madhouse Role Play Group » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:07 pm

New poll up. :lol:

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Also, tostitos.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Also, tostitos.

*crunches G-Tech*
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am

Got this in the works. Hopefully, it'll be a good spiritual successor to Post-Poc.

A Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure RP by Cylarn

The Skinny

"You can't be rolling in luck if you're here, fella. Talk to anyone, from the lowly derrick tech to the CEO of the Ægir Corporation, and they'll all say the same: Ullr-1 would be nothing without what's below its icy crust."

"What do you think of when you hear someone say, 'garden world?' Verdant green hills, vibrant flora and fauna, and flowing water as far as the eye can see, right? Ullr-1 is the only 'garden world' among the three planets orbiting the medium-sized Ullr star, but you'll be hard-pressed to find anything resembling a garden on this planet. For starters, most of the planet is covered in ice, thanks to what seems to be a never-ending winter that dominates the place. There's an ocean that they call 'Aurora,' which is partially covered and dotted by large sheets of packed ice. I've been here for some ten years, and I have yet to see a day or night without snow. One of the few benefits about this cold hell is that the atmosphere is mostly pure oxygen, and the water is pure H20."

"Amid the ice and wind and snow, there is life on this planet. I don't know how, but things live out here. Up above the ice, you've got big, white Caladrius birds that fly in flocks around the island. They dig out their own burrows in the snow and dive in through cracks in the ice to catch fish. There are also snow cats, which are basically self-explanatory. They prey on the four-legged, hairy Stroks that roam around up on the surface, not to mention anyone unlucky enough to be out in the tundra past dusk. There are other animals, but they're not as interesting - or dangerous - as what I'm about to introduce you to next."

"Beneath the icy waters live monsters. I shit you not; these creatures come straight out of nightmares. Large beasts with spines and sharp teeth, that can breach through the ice and swallow entire camps. Make enough noise on the surface, and at least one, if not more, will come out to play. The settlements and work sites have their own countermeasures to ward these 'Leviathans' off, but for the rest of us, it comes down to how fast you can run, or how much firepower you've got."

"I'm sure you're searching for a reason why anyone has chosen this place as a home. Well, look hard enough and you'll find ways to make money. The corporations have operations here on Ullr-1, from the water refineries owned by Deckhard & Sons to the mining derricks of Ægir, that's an honest living. Some folks don't want to live like that, so they take some treads or even an icebreaker out into the Aurora so that they can go plunder. As times goes on, these raiders have only grown in number and boldness. It's such a problem that the corporations have employed their own security forces to deal with the problem, garrisoning them in the two main settlements on the planet: New Archangel and New Telemark. If you're not mining water or minerals, then you're probably slumming it in one of those two places. Or, you're doing something else."

"That 'something else' is the line of work of what we like to call an 'Ice Rover.' Part-vagabond, part-mercenary, part-hunter, these guys and gals make their living out in the icy wastes. Aside from small bands of Rovers, the only thing that gives them at least a small taste of collective identity is what they hunt. You see, Leviathans are valuable creatures - for a short time after they're dead. Their lifeblood, organs,and everything else is worth a fortune - if you can find a buyer. It takes a real maniac to take off after a Leviathan, but Rovers are maniacs when it comes down to it.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Cylarn wrote:Got this in the works. Hopefully, it'll be a good spiritual successor to Post-Poc.

Liking it so far!

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Cylarn wrote:Got this in the works. Hopefully, it'll be a good spiritual successor to Post-Poc.

(Image)
A Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure RP by Cylarn

The Skinny

"You can't be rolling in luck if you're here, fella. Talk to anyone, from the lowly derrick tech to the CEO of the Ægir Corporation, and they'll all say the same: Ullr-1 would be nothing without what's below its icy crust."

"What do you think of when you hear someone say, 'garden world?' Verdant green hills, vibrant flora and fauna, and flowing water as far as the eye can see, right? Ullr-1 is the only 'garden world' among the three planets orbiting the medium-sized Ullr star, but you'll be hard-pressed to find anything resembling a garden on this planet. For starters, most of the planet is covered in ice, thanks to what seems to be a never-ending winter that dominates the place. There's an ocean that they call 'Aurora,' which is partially covered and dotted by large sheets of packed ice. I've been here for some ten years, and I have yet to see a day or night without snow. One of the few benefits about this cold hell is that the atmosphere is mostly pure oxygen, and the water is pure H20."

"Amid the ice and wind and snow, there is life on this planet. I don't know how, but things live out here. Up above the ice, you've got big, white Caladrius birds that fly in flocks around the island. They dig out their own burrows in the snow and dive in through cracks in the ice to catch fish. There are also snow cats, which are basically self-explanatory. They prey on the four-legged, hairy Stroks that roam around up on the surface, not to mention anyone unlucky enough to be out in the tundra past dusk. There are other animals, but they're not as interesting - or dangerous - as what I'm about to introduce you to next."

"Beneath the icy waters live monsters. I shit you not; these creatures come straight out of nightmares. Large beasts with spines and sharp teeth, that can breach through the ice and swallow entire camps. Make enough noise on the surface, and at least one, if not more, will come out to play. The settlements and work sites have their own countermeasures to ward these 'Leviathans' off, but for the rest of us, it comes down to how fast you can run, or how much firepower you've got."

"I'm sure you're searching for a reason why anyone has chosen this place as a home. Well, look hard enough and you'll find ways to make money. The corporations have operations here on Ullr-1, from the water refineries owned by Deckhard & Sons to the mining derricks of Ægir, that's an honest living. Some folks don't want to live like that, so they take some treads or even an icebreaker out into the Aurora so that they can go plunder. As times goes on, these raiders have only grown in number and boldness. It's such a problem that the corporations have employed their own security forces to deal with the problem, garrisoning them in the two main settlements on the planet: New Archangel and New Telemark. If you're not mining water or minerals, then you're probably slumming it in one of those two places. Or, you're doing something else."

"That 'something else' is the line of work of what we like to call an 'Ice Rover.' Part-vagabond, part-mercenary, part-hunter, these guys and gals make their living out in the icy wastes. Aside from small bands of Rovers, the only thing that gives them at least a small taste of collective identity is what they hunt. You see, Leviathans are valuable creatures - for a short time after they're dead. Their lifeblood, organs,and everything else is worth a fortune - if you can find a buyer. It takes a real maniac to take off after a Leviathan, but Rovers are maniacs when it comes down to it.

Lookin' good.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Yay, Fish Tale in Spaaaaaace!
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The Madhouse Role Play Group
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Madhouse Role Play Group » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:57 am

In answer to the poll - Yes, we have an AV club: http://madhouseproductions.boards.net/thread/121/movie-night

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am

Today might not be good for people! I wasn't even aware we had decided on a night, much less that it was today and I made the thread!
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Today might not be good for people! I wasn't even aware we had decided on a night, much less that it was today and I made the thread!

I didn't think it was today (yesterday). We'll need to sort a good time for people. Can use the OSF thread for that.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Cerillium wrote:
Holy Lykos wrote:Today might not be good for people! I wasn't even aware we had decided on a night, much less that it was today and I made the thread!

I didn't think it was today (yesterday). We'll need to sort a good time for people. Can use the OSF thread for that.

We should, but no one is :P
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 pm

And thus, the 30-days not logging in using the main account that I used for the last 5 years started.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 pm

*finally swaps out the old sig tag*
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 am

We're still looking for some good officers and crew for the King Solomon, if anyone is interested.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Swith Witherward
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swith Witherward » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 am

A quick update:

With Cer on a business trip, it's been just me at home to make a stand against The Sewer of Nonsense. (Long story short, minor flooding knocked out power, which meant the city couldn't pump. Excess water filled things up and, as we're at the very bottom of the slope right near the river's edge, all the debris and other things backed up. I've spend the weekend armed with waders and a shop vac, purging waste from my basement. We can't flush or shower, either.) Anyway, I haven't been on NS or even had a chance to RP IRL. I'll do my best to get more active again once Cer gets back (Wednesday night). Until then, I'm on catnaps when not driving home from my cousin's (in order to suck up filth... which is pretty much every 2 hours).
★ Senior P2TM RP Mentor ★
How may I help you today?
TG Swith Witherward
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
P2TM Mentor & Personal Bio: Gentlemen, Behold!
Raider Account Bio: The Eternal Bugblatter Fennec of Traal!
Madhouse
Role Play
& Writers Group
Anti-intellectual elitism: the dismissal of science, the arts,
and humanities and their replacement by entertainment,
self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility. - sauce

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse