NATION

PASSWORD

A Flash of Light: 1760 [AH, OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:14 pm

How many days to players have before their reservation is up?
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:15 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:Reserve plz

Surprised you didn't reserve the Polynesians

kid

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Intermountain States wrote:How many days to players have before their reservation is up?

Dunno, but I don't think we're up to that point for anyone yet.

Btw, I would prefer if we didn't do rebels, mostly because I can't be assed to make another app. Maybe speak to the one who reserved China about it and you can come to a plan how it works.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Full name of state: Hapsburg-Byzantine Empire
Type of government: Absolutist Monarchy
Capital: Vienna
Head of state: Empress Maria Theresa
Head of government: Count Friedrich Wilhelm von Haugwitz, Lord Chancellor
General government description: The Emperor, or current Empress, is the sole source of all government policy and is required to approve all legislation. The Emperor/Empress will normally appoint subordinates responsible for running the day to day buisness of the state and suggesting legislation to the monarch.
Territory (map if needed): Unclaimed parts of Charles V's empire as per this: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-971be45c54dc50b384c07cfa1197848c?convert_to_webp=true including colonies
Colonies: Philippines
Population: 25 million (Europe), 450,000 (Asia)

Economic description: The Empire is a predomently agricultural country
Religious description (by class): The Empire is almost entirely Catholic over all class groups in Europe, although there are scattered groups of Jews across the Empire. Most Protestants fled or were killed during the 30 Years War. Outside of Europe only a few civil servants are Catholic with the majority of the population being Islamic, Buddhist or Hindu depending on the colony in question.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class):
Upper: Absolutism, Monarchism
Middle: Constitutionalism, Monarchism
Lower: None, most are illiterate and too busy to have ideology

Military description: The Imperial Army is 250,000 strong, split into three main units; the two 75,000-strong Imperial Armies of Spain and Austria-Hungary and the 45,000-strong Imperial Army of the Netherlands. In addition to these three main forces are the 5,000-man Imperial Marine Corps, the 35,000-man Army of Naples and the 15,000-man army of Corsica and Sardinia.

Colonial forces number 10,000, and are normally under the control of and are equipped/trained by local rulers. The Imperial Marine Corps are the only European force usually present in the colonies.

The Imperial Navy is a large, if not well-equipped force, due to the disparate nature of the Imperial possessions and the need to shuttle troops between them by sea due to the possible unreliability of other powers allowing military access.

Strengths and weaknesses of the military:
Although large, and well-equipped, the Imperial Armies are only coherent when operating by themselves, and even then coherence is doubtful. The vast array of languages spoken within the Empire makes issuing orders naturally chaotic and difficult, especially when the higher-ranking officers only speak their own native language and German or Spanish, never both unless they are Austrian or Spanish in which case they speak nothing else. The Empire compensates for this via training and discipline, but those can only get you so far past the language barrier.

The Navy, although large, is not well-equipped or trained, and once again suffers from the same issue of the language barrier. However, as most of the navy is Spanish, this is less of an issue than it is for the Army.

General aims: More colonies if possible, hold everything we currently hold.
Foreign Policy: Imperial foreign policy runs on simple logic; find who is the most powerful and who most wants to bring us down, and ally with their enemies, whomever they may be. The sole exception to this rule is if the most powerful state wishes to ally with the Empire, in which case that is standard policy.

History: The history of the Hapsburg-Byzantine Empire begins with the demise of the original Byzantine Empire and the sale of the title to Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella II of Castille despite their failure to conquer Granada. Events proceed as IRL, but the Hapsburgs place far less emphasis on the New World and instead focus on consolidating their power within Europe.

The Empire is on the losing side of both the 80 Years War, losing the Dutch Netherlands and the 30 Years War, ending with Bohemian independence and the Hapsburgs permanently excluded from holding the title of Holy Roman Emperor. The Hapsburgs, affronted, convince the Pope to begin crowning them as 'Emperors of the Byzantine Empire' to create a Catholic empire to balance out the HRE. Since then the Empire has remained static in Europe, preserving it's possessions within Europe whilst eyeing up Portugal and it's colonies.
Last edited by Lunas Legion on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

New Granadeseret
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

PLessur wrote:Kongo accepted.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Full Name of State: The Federal Dominion of North America
Government: Limited Oligarchic Republic
Capital: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Head of State: HM King George III
Head of Government: John Hanson
General government description: The political system of North America functions much like it does in the present day, save the formal acknowledgement of GB monarch as monarch of the Dominion. One major difference, however, is that voting must be earned either by paying over a certain amount in tax, or military or civil service.
Territory: 13 Colonies + Great Lakes/Canadian possessions of the time, French Louisiana, California, southern Florida, Cuba
Colonies: Nah
Population: ~3.5m

Economic description: The Dominion is mainly based around cottage industry and agriculture, with little in the way of heavy industry or finance. Though import substitution has to some extent allowed the colonies to manufacture goods necessary to the maintenance of their comparative sovereignty, like cannon and musketry, by and large the state is an agricultural one.
Religious description (by class): Though California, Louisiana, and Florida are predominantly of the Latin rite throughout their classes, the rest of the Dominion is predominantly Protestant. This has created some tensions as Protestant immigrants meld with entrenched Catholicism.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): The upper and merchant classes are predominantly concerned with ensuring the neutrality of the Dominion in European affairs, to maintain the trade ties established. To that extent they are fairly isolationistic and to some degree anti-monarchist, as the King is viewed as being an entangling influence on the Dominion's interests. The lower classes are more fond of the monarchy as a familiar presence ideologically, and more interested in expansion due to the wide migrant influx and desire for their own homesteads.

Military description: The Dominion has only a half dozen frigates of third and fourth rates, along with three river battleships on the Great Lakes. Her military has nearly no professional component, being largely composed of men serving four year tours of duty as volunteers. The Army is deployed primarily along the interior borders, protecting urban areas against Indian attack and pushing back the borders of the Frontier.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military: Not professional, though numerous the military would struggle against European forces. On its own terrain however the Americans have the advantage of easy supply lines compared to those powers which must deal with the logistics of the Atlantic. At sea her forces are well trained after the British naval tradition, but possess only older and less capable ships.

General aims (territorial, etc): Unite North America under the Dominion's flag, pacify the various native nations, maintain good trade ties
Foreign Policy: A dependent of the British Empire, the Dominion shares her enemies and allies.

History: Subjective to a hell of a lot of change based on what others write but, in essence, the French and Indian War resulted in the Dominion earning effective independence from the Empire for its contributions to the war, with the French being expelled from most of North America and their Indian allies being crushed. The War of Spanish Succession ended in Spain selling Florida, Alta California, and Cuba to the young nation to pay her war debts.

You're gonna have to change your claims, as they clash with France. You can speak to Liec about that. You might also want to speak to Kisinger, as he's reserved England, so he might want the 13 colonies. Sorry about this, I'll check.

New Granadeseret wrote:
PLessur, do you need a mapmaker? I quite enjoy making maps.

Sure thing, I'll be most grateful.

Wonderful; I'll get something preliminary set up within the next few hours.

Also, if you diden't check my apo yet, Italy is fine. Except for Sicily and Malta. I kind of need a strong central medditerranian lynchpin for my whole nations's set up make sense.
Stannis was robbed.

Trotza
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotza » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Full name of state: Gajapati Kingdom | Gajapati Saamraajy | ଗଜପତି ସାମ୍ରାଜ୍ୟ୍
Type of government: Monarchy
Capital: Cuttack | Katak | କଟକ
Head of state:
Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri (this mantra must be uttered 108 times in accordance with Hindu tradition, in this case, Sri Sri) Gajapati Gaudesvara Navakoti Karnata Utkala Kalavargeshvara (king) Ramanuja Deva (personal name)

Head of government: Also the above entity.
General government description: A centrally administrated imperial dynasty made up of mostly Hindus and ethnic Odias. But there's also a good deal of the Bengal aristocracy, including nobles and merchants, who have been forced out of their traditional areas by China. Order is maintained through the cast system ordered by birth, occupation, race, and heritage, including the zamindars who collect taxes.
Territory:

Colonies: None
Population: ~37,406,339

Economic description: Like other parts of India, the kingdom is a relatively urbanized and commercialized nation with a buoyant export trade, devoted largely to cotton textiles, but also including silk, spices, and rice. But with low wages making retaining an agricultural society fairly easily, there hasn't been much of a push for inventing new labor saving technologies. They feed off of the rich bounties of the Gangetic Plain, and the Bay of Bengal's thriving merchant community for both food and wealth. It has various types of organizational entities that can practice private enterprises and involve themselves in business ventures. The state has a fairly low burden on the economy.
Religious description: Class Pervasive - Hinduism (Sri Vaishnavism denomination of Vaishnavism tradition)
Small Minorities Varying in Class Presence - Jainism, Buddhism, Islam
Popular ideologies and political beliefs: Religious Figures and Royalty - Political Hinduism
Aristocrats and Commoners of the Eastern Plains Region - Bengali Nationalism
Traders and Businessmen - Mercantilism
Landowners - Conservatism, Agrarianism, Caste Society

Military description: Total Manpower - 190,000
Numerical Strength - 2,000
Named after an old southern castle, these veterans are both the empire's elite and the king's personal bodyguards. They defend the royal palace and the city surrounding it, making sure the capital is nothing if not stable and safe.
Numerical Strength - 57,000
Clad in western style fatigues, these men make up the core of the kingdom's army, providing a fairly reliable fighting force to be depended on in times of conflict.
Numerical Strength - 6,000
Pride of the army, these well trained and dressed cavalrymen enjoy their high social status and the continuation of India's long tradition with both the lance and horsemen in the military under their watch.
Numerical Strength - 95,000
war bands drawn up from villages, these locally formed men organize to protect their homes, and while they don't usually serve on the field, become more prevalent in areas wrecked by lawlessness or under attack from a foreign foe.
Numerical Strength - 2,450 (500 elephants)
A historical staple of many large Indian armies, while they can be hard to manage to say the least and become less effective as time goes on, there is still an honor guard of the old weapon maintained by the royal military. But who knows, maybe they'll make a difference in battle one of these days...
Numerical Strength - 9,500
Raised in times of war from the more feudalistic elements of society to serve as peasant soldiers, they perform in about the same conditions as militia, except that since they are commanded by imperial officers they can be moved to better support wider military objectives.
ImageImage
Numerical Strength - 7,600 (50 warships)
A mix of somewhat experienced Arab, Bengali, and Burmese troops along with other regional seafaring peoples, they help patrol the coast as a part of the navy. Those not aboard vessels are stationed in various ports.
ImageImageImage
Numerical Strength - 9,000
There are also less formal cavalry elements in the army besides the highly regarded lancers. Pindaris are irregular Muslim horsemen from the interior, used as raiders, scouts, and skirmishers. But most mounted troops are from the landed class who provide their own means, including the Silladar seen here (bottom).
ImageImage
Numerical Strength - 1,450 (400 pieces)
Artillery has historically been an important part of nations hoping to make their mark on India, and the kingdoms army makes sure not to leave that department untouched. Their stockpile includes typical equipment, like locally forged 9-pounders. But also more eccentric units, such as the light camel artillery, who have small bore cannons mounted to, yes, camels, who provide a surprisingly mobile platform for fire support.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military: The military can raise fairly large land armies in a hurry like many on the Indian subcontinent, making it unlikely for them to be caught without a force in a war. But this comes with several downsides. Technologically much of their forces are not up to snuff, sporting old rifles, cannon, and other weapons. They lack a navy comparable to any powers if a major conflict were to break out. And training when it comes to militia and conscripts (who would form the majority of their troops in a total war), would be little to none.

General aims: Maintain independence and the political status quo of Indian society, at least try to discourage further European incursion into the subcontinent, slow the advance of China into the region, and advance further into the hinterlands, expanding.
Foreign Policy: The kingdom, while the majority of the populace lives in a traditional Indian setting, coastal urban cities, the imperial government, and the organized military all contain westernized elements that they have adopted by surviving and being involved in the modern world through trade, diplomacy, and cultural diffusion. Their policy is a generally peaceful one, that hasn't been inclined to raise hostilities simply because a non-Indian nation steps on the region. In fact, they've shown far more worry over the Chinese presence as opposed to that of the French.

History:
It was traditionally a kingdom based out of Kalinga by Odia rulers from the 14th to 15th centuries at its founding. In that time the area reaches a high point of architecture, literature, and culture. There was a plot by the traitor Govinda Vidyadhara to kill the Emperor's sons and usurp the throne in 1541, but it failed, saving the kingdom's future. They continued to fight against the powerful southern Vijayanagara, advancing as far as the fort of Golkonda. Eventually though they were pushed out, and struggled against the Princes on that front until the French moved in, largely pacifying it. To the western border, the disorganized Gond Kingdoms and mountain ranges have kept that area from being a strategic worry for some time. The north, on the other hand, has switched hands several times, partly being because it a wide open and fertile plain. This has usually consisted of some Muslim dynasty from the west and Bengal from the east. But once China had defeated the Bengalis in battle and seized much of their former lands, it was less difficult for the kingdom to move into that theater themselves. Now they to have too play the dangerous game of trying to hold lands in that volatile area, which is the ideal place to gain a foothold int the region.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Full name of state: Ara Kalinago Wurari ("The fallen Carib people")
Type of government (absolutist monarchy, republic): Caciquedom (Caribbean chiefdom)
Capital: Topu Waitopo
Head of state: Kasika (queen) Yahima
Head of government: Yahima
General government description: Tribal federation. Does it need much description?
Territory (map if needed): Well looksie at that
Colonies: Technically, the outer edges of the empire are "Colonies". Realistically, there are none, just subjugated tribes.
Population (metropolitan and colonial separate if required): 600,00 total.

Economic description: Tribal-level economy is present. The economy survives mostly on trade of handcrafted objects and raw materials, although slaving and raiding also contribute.
Religious description (by class): Traditional Amazonian religion is followed by the populace in all walks of life, with minimal outside contact bearing minimal influence.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): Tribalism all the way

Military description: The Caribs are ambush warriors, known for their extensive guerrilla warfare in which the jungle and mountains are used heavily to their advantage. Weapons consist of flint and obsidian spears and arrows, as well as wooden darts and clubs. Curare poison is often utilized, causing death by asphyxiation due to paralysis if not treated through forced respiration or practices listed as CPR in modern times. Effects last averaging 30 minutes to an hour.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military:
STR:
-Massive numbers
-Guerrilla tactics
-Familiar with homeland
-Poisoned weapons
CON:
-Not modernized
-Disorganized

General aims (territorial, etc): Finish "Colonization" of the Caribbean and reclaim the Amazon Rainforest as a homeland
Foreign Policy: A little trading, a little raiding, and a whole lot of caution about all things foreign. Even the Mayans were viewed with distrust, and their new silence at the hands of palefaced foreigners who speak a tongue unknown has renewed the need for caution at every step.

History: Starting as a tribe in the jungles of Venezuela, the Caribs have had a long rivalry with Arawak peoples, and likewise a long history of migration. Many tribes in the past invaded Arawak islands in the Caribbean and Gulf regions, forming a distinct ethnic mix between Caribs (in the male line) and Taino Arawaks (in the female line). This particular tribe, though, remained in Venezuela. After some very grueling wars with the nearby Lokono tribes (or early colonists if the Great Spirits allow it), they were forced from their homeland. Taking after their kin, they escaped into the Caribbean and established a new life in Cuba, then known as Cobao.

In Cobao, they reestablished themselves. Reusing their mainland fighting tactics, they began to raid nearby Taino farming villages, which were largely peaceful in nature. The repeated ambushes, gains of slaves, and tribal adoptions led to increased power. The Caribs seized villages around them, and continued to do so until reaching a sizable domain (representing a single province on the map.) From this point, they began interaction with Mesoamerican states. Chief Eyeri formalized relations between the Caribs and Mesoamerican states, including extensive trade networks. It was under his guidance that the capital of the Carib Empire improved itself, no longer a pitiful village of reeds but instead a great city of stone. Permanent. From this, he acquired a Zapotec architect from Zaachila, and paid him handsomely for his improvements. In the end, a unique Carib city was crafted, and the empire established in stone.

As time went, their power grew and grew. Their large city allowed them to grow their population, and thus that of their warriors. Multiple tribes came under their influence from that point, either voluntarily or by force. The empire peaked in 1480, shortly before the arrival of the French to the new land. Surely enough, 12 years later, the first contact with Europeans occurred. The Kasike of the empire met with the conquistador, and something of a deal was established. France would continue to be the only major power that the Caribs had any positive contact with, whereas the colonies in Mexico and Central America would suffer somewhat frequent slave raids by the Caribs for use in both plantations and for sale internationally.

That brings us to about the modern day, with the new Kasika risen to power. The Carib state has remained as strong as it has ever been, but now has the occasional musket tossed their way by France. Although the rest of the world might consider them something of a tributary or a protectorate, the Caribs see the deal as a mutually beneficial trade agreement: sugar for European goods, as well as a permanent alliance.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:09 pm

WESTERN PACIFIC TERRITORIES wrote:
The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:Reserve plz

Surprised you didn't reserve the Polynesians

kid

To be honest, the Polynesians are definitely not going to get much action here. I made the Carib Empire in an rp a long time ago and just decided this would be a nice place to revive them.

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:12 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
WESTERN PACIFIC TERRITORIES wrote:Surprised you didn't reserve the Polynesians

kid

To be honest, the Polynesians are definitely not going to get much action here. I made the Carib Empire in an rp a long time ago and just decided this would be a nice place to revive them.

The French might disagree with you over their claims on Haiti.
Stannis was robbed.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:15 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

We worked it out on Discord, hence the paragraph in the history dedicated to establishing a protectorate type thing

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:29 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
WESTERN PACIFIC TERRITORIES wrote:Surprised you didn't reserve the Polynesians

kid

Then again you could have just done Ternate. Falling this or the Caribs, Zulus will be available.

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:43 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
New Granadeseret wrote:

We worked it out on Discord, hence the paragraph in the history dedicated to establishing a protectorate type thing

... Ok. Seems a bit odd, especially tribal raiders in war canoes still being viable, but that's not my place to judge. I'm just trying to avoid conflicts on the preliminary/reservations map.
Last edited by New Granadeseret on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stannis was robbed.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 pm

Hm, wouldn't Caribs have been decimated by las plagas? Also, wouldn't there be less of them? IIRC most of Haiti's population was imported slaves from Africa to work sugar plantations, and without that population influx the area wouldn't be at the ~half mil it was in this time period.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Marquette of Pacific
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2012

Postby Marquette of Pacific » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Full name of state: not a state but you can call us Brandenburg
Type of government: Absolute monarchy (albeit enlightened)
Capital: Berlin
Head of state: Frederick von Hohenzollern, V Prince-Elector and Margrave of Brandenburg, II Prince-Elector and Duke of Saxony, II Prince-Elector and Duke of Hanover, (III Duke of Prussia [if not claimed]), III Duke of Pomerania, III Duke of Holstein, (III Duke of Schleswig [idk, if not claimed and if I decide to take it]), III Duke of Mecklenburg, II Duke of Oldenburg, III Duke of Magdeburg, III Duke of Anhalt
Head of government: ditto
General government description: An absolute monarchy under the monarch, who technically rules as vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor, but y'know... a centralised and efficient bureaucracy runs the state for said monarch. Generally, not much oddity.
Territory: (Image)
Colonies: I'm not sure what's available; if possible, I'd like the Leeward Antilles, Trinidad & Tobago, the southern half of the Rio de la Plata watershed, Honduras-El Salvador-Costa Rica-Panama-Nicaragua, Venezuela, Australia; this is in order of desirability, strike off what doesn't work. For non-settler colonialism, a port in India, a port in Indonesia, a port in Africa, anywhere will do, I dunno. Colonies are a minor pursuit in general.
Population: 10 million?

Economic description: Largely agricultural interspersed with growing cities; medium to large landholders in most areas, with limited protections for peasants, and increasing consolidation of land. Cities filled with "burghers" are forming as a counterpoint, promoted by the monarchs who find that land-consolidating families can grow too powerful, and to alleviate peasant alienation. Generally prosperous, with introduction of the potato a big boon and increasingly various cash-crop-like enterprises springing up.
Religious description: Pretty uniformly Lutheran; dribs and drabs of Calvinists, Catholics and Anabaptists here and there.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs: Generally supportive of the monarchy project, and tend to share an identity as Low Germans or just Germans (not much nationalism yet), mixed views on having a state church but definitely not secular, overall normies?

Military description: Not as nobility-filled as IRL but still professional, well-funded and highly disciplined as IRL. Filled by conscription from an increasing surplus populace, armed with muskets, uses bayonets, dressed in Berliner Blue (given that Prussia isn't as much of a thing), infantry-based. 100,000 standing in peacetime, 100,000 and growing in reserves. Officer corps filled by merit, with standing army being a good argument against complaints about that. The navy is smol and shit, albeit professional as well.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military: Strengths: discipline, and all that comes with it (civilians like you more when you don't pillage them, prestige because apparently you don't pillage people, scaring the enemy because you're so disciplined, collapsing bridges when you march over them, resisting charges, being able to fire more effectively because you know what you're doing more, more coordinated manoeuvring because same)... that's probably it. I dunno. Weakness: the literal entire navy ayylmao (it's not horrible but it's so SMOL)

General aims: Find way to elevate self to kingdom, neuter nearby threats (Commonwealth probably), nab a few more profitable colonies, take over Germany/HRE/the world
Foreign Policy: depends on who apps around me but it'll probably be based around a kind of balance of power thing, like "hold x and x in check, ally y and y to do so, (eat z while nobody is looking)"

History:
Brandenburg-Prussia as RL history except a wild Brunswick-Luneburg>Hanover forms and we nom Saxony instead of Silesia and we nom Hanover instead of Poland and we fight some brutal burghy wars against Hansa area); this section is WIP unless you wanna accept :P

Hey! Long time no see!
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18

Marquette of Pacific
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2012

Postby Marquette of Pacific » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:11 pm

PLessur wrote:I'm back, will update the roster soon. I'll check the Ottoman app in a second, but Italy should be a safe bet. Somebody reserved Poland with me privately before, I'll check if they're still going with it though. I'll try start the IC sometime too.

If so, could I reserve Muscovy?
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Indians and Amerindians accepted. Now we need some European states. I'll try get the IC up sometime today.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

Trotza
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotza » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Marquette of Pacific wrote:
PLessur wrote:I'm back, will update the roster soon. I'll check the Ottoman app in a second, but Italy should be a safe bet. Somebody reserved Poland with me privately before, I'll check if they're still going with it though. I'll try start the IC sometime too.

If so, could I reserve Muscovy?

I think Elderowa's reservation covers most of that.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

... Ok. Seems a bit odd, especially tribal raiders in war canoes still being viable, but that's not my place to judge. I'm just trying to avoid conflicts on the preliminary/reservations map.

You'd be surprised

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hm, wouldn't Caribs have been decimated by las plagas? Also, wouldn't there be less of them? IIRC most of Haiti's population was imported slaves from Africa to work sugar plantations, and without that population influx the area wouldn't be at the ~half mil it was in this time period.

This is a bit of a different history. The plagues have likely already come and gone, and whatever mitigation could be taken had been. Having a friendly European power might've also helped, as there are records of natives surviving outbreaks when given access to Western doctors. Furthermore, this isn't just Haiti, but the entirety of Hispaniola as well as half of Cuba. This history also lacks the warfare and enslavement that further decimated native populations, and there is an African slave presence scattered throughout the territory helping to farm things like sugar for the French.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Hm, Plessur, I hadn't realized, but there's a conflict between Ik's app and mine- my history has the Brits taking Cuba off of Spain along with Alta California and Florida for pecuniary support in the War of Spanish Succession.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:30 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hm, Plessur, I hadn't realized, but there's a conflict between Ik's app and mine- my history has the Brits taking Cuba off of Spain along with Alta California and Florida for pecuniary support in the War of Spanish Succession.

Slight issue with that; namely, Spain goes to Leopold I rather than Louis XIV.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:33 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
New Granadeseret wrote:

You'd be surprised

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hm, wouldn't Caribs have been decimated by las plagas? Also, wouldn't there be less of them? IIRC most of Haiti's population was imported slaves from Africa to work sugar plantations, and without that population influx the area wouldn't be at the ~half mil it was in this time period.

This is a bit of a different history. The plagues have likely already come and gone, and whatever mitigation could be taken had been. Having a friendly European power might've also helped, as there are records of natives surviving outbreaks when given access to Western doctors. Furthermore, this isn't just Haiti, but the entirety of Hispaniola as well as half of Cuba. This history also lacks the warfare and enslavement that further decimated native populations, and there is an African slave presence scattered throughout the territory helping to farm things like sugar for the French.

Actually, given those are my colonies you've been raiding for the last few centuries, and the people there are well established and have seen all your best tricks, I don't think they'd be surprised at all. These aren't the isolated and undermanned outposts of the 16th and early 17th century Carribean here, but people with superior technology and numbers who've been dealing with you for centuries.
Stannis was robbed.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:35 pm

PLessur wrote:Kongo accepted.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Full Name of State: The Federal Dominion of North America
Government: Limited Oligarchic Republic
Capital: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Head of State: HM King George III
Head of Government: John Hanson
General government description: The political system of North America functions much like it does in the present day, save the formal acknowledgement of GB monarch as monarch of the Dominion. One major difference, however, is that voting must be earned either by paying over a certain amount in tax, or military or civil service.
Territory: 13 Colonies + Great Lakes/Canadian possessions of the time, French Louisiana, California, southern Florida, Cuba
Colonies: Nah
Population: ~3.5m

Economic description: The Dominion is mainly based around cottage industry and agriculture, with little in the way of heavy industry or finance. Though import substitution has to some extent allowed the colonies to manufacture goods necessary to the maintenance of their comparative sovereignty, like cannon and musketry, by and large the state is an agricultural one.
Religious description (by class): Though California, Louisiana, and Florida are predominantly of the Latin rite throughout their classes, the rest of the Dominion is predominantly Protestant. This has created some tensions as Protestant immigrants meld with entrenched Catholicism.
Popular ideologies and political beliefs (by class): The upper and merchant classes are predominantly concerned with ensuring the neutrality of the Dominion in European affairs, to maintain the trade ties established. To that extent they are fairly isolationistic and to some degree anti-monarchist, as the King is viewed as being an entangling influence on the Dominion's interests. The lower classes are more fond of the monarchy as a familiar presence ideologically, and more interested in expansion due to the wide migrant influx and desire for their own homesteads.

Military description: The Dominion has only a half dozen frigates of third and fourth rates, along with three river battleships on the Great Lakes. Her military has nearly no professional component, being largely composed of men serving four year tours of duty as volunteers. The Army is deployed primarily along the interior borders, protecting urban areas against Indian attack and pushing back the borders of the Frontier.
Strengths and weaknesses of the military: Not professional, though numerous the military would struggle against European forces. On its own terrain however the Americans have the advantage of easy supply lines compared to those powers which must deal with the logistics of the Atlantic. At sea her forces are well trained after the British naval tradition, but possess only older and less capable ships.

General aims (territorial, etc): Unite North America under the Dominion's flag, pacify the various native nations, maintain good trade ties
Foreign Policy: A dependent of the British Empire, the Dominion shares her enemies and allies.

History: Subjective to a hell of a lot of change based on what others write but, in essence, the French and Indian War resulted in the Dominion earning effective independence from the Empire for its contributions to the war, with the French being expelled from most of North America and their Indian allies being crushed. The War of Spanish Succession ended in Spain selling Florida, Alta California, and Cuba to the young nation to pay her war debts.

You're gonna have to change your claims, as they clash with France. You can speak to Liec about that. You might also want to speak to Kisinger, as he's reserved England, so he might want the 13 colonies. Sorry about this, I'll check.

New Granadeseret wrote:
PLessur, do you need a mapmaker? I quite enjoy making maps.

Sure thing, I'll be most grateful.

Sorry G, did you see this? There are a few problems with your app already. If you don't mind I would also appreciate a bit more history in your app, to explain how the American Revolution happened and all.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Geez, at this point it feels like I'd do better off just hopping over to Indonesia instead

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hm, Plessur, I hadn't realized, but there's a conflict between Ik's app and mine- my history has the Brits taking Cuba off of Spain along with Alta California and Florida for pecuniary support in the War of Spanish Succession.

Slight issue with that; namely, Spain goes to Leopold I rather than Louis XIV.

Hmm, okay. I don't really mind working around history as necessary. Cuba isn't a necessary part of the Dominion, just a cool part.

PLessur wrote:Sorry G, did you see this? There are a few problems with your app already. If you don't mind I would also appreciate a bit more history in your app, to explain how the American Revolution happened and all.

Ayup, I've TGed Liec and I'll wait for Kisinger's app to iron out that relationship. I'll be adding more history as the various colonial powers clarify their histories, honestly- there's not much point in me writing much currently with Britain's history up in the air.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:46 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

You'd be surprised

Actually, given those are my colonies you've been raiding for the last few centuries, and the people there are well established and have seen all your best tricks, I don't think they'd be surprised at all. These aren't the isolated and undermanned outposts of the 16th and early 17th century Carribean here, but people with superior technology and numbers who've been dealing with you for centuries.

sigh

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse