NATION

PASSWORD

A Tale of Fate and Serendipity (OOC; Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

A Tale of Fate and Serendipity (OOC; Open)

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 am

IC Thread



So, my original plan was to simply bring back A Tale of Luck and Chance. The problem with that, though, is that as I looked over the map I had made for it, I began punching myself in the face for being stupid. It's a good thing that RP ended when it did because otherwise I would have seriously pissed off a lot of people due to the incompetence of that map and some frankly annoying design flaws. Thus, I decided to make something entirely new. Well, mostly. It's the same concept as the original was, but done better. Instead of A Tale of Luck and Chance 2, it's A Tale of Luck and Chance 2.0, but I gave it a new name because that would have been stupid. Plus, I like the word "serendipity."

Olthar wrote:Specifics about the dice mechanic:
In each person's post, they say what action they are attempting to perform. I will then roll a six-sided die; the higher the result, the more successful the action. The actions will happen in the order of the posts, with the NPC(s) taking their turn(s) after all the players. So, if you want your action to happen first, then be the first to post each round.

The possible results are as follows:
1: Epic Failure. You failed so hard that you must be some sort of flipper-handed freak incapable of performing even the simplest of tasks. It's a wonder that you haven't accidentally killed yourself yet. (Your failure is so spectacular that you likely injure yourself in some way and/or suffer a penalty.)
2: Failure. Plain and simple; you tired, and you failed. You were completely and totally unproductive this round, and I hope you're ashamed of your uselessness. (You fail and do nothing.)
3: Successful, but only barely. You're the one who slacked in school, aren't you? Getting by with only the bare minimum? Well, it's come back to bite you in the ass as everything you do doesn't quite work the way you wanted. (You succeed, but your action isn't quite as effective as you would have hoped.)
4: Successful. Congratulations. You set out to do something and did it. You are competent enough to do something without immediately failing at it. Good job on being average. (You do exactly what you set out to do, no more, no less.)
5: Hugely Successful. Wow, now that's impressive! You are simply amazing! You not only succeeded, but you did better than you could have ever hoped. That takes skill. (You are so successful that your action is far more effective than intended and/or you receive a bonus.)
6: Godly Success. You must be some sort of deity because I could swear that wasn't even physically possible! I don't know how you did it, but you somehow managed to be so successful that you broke physics. Kudos. (You are dangerously successful, literally. It's quite possible that your action is so successful as to have unintended consequences.)

To help illustrate the above, I'll give an example. Player 1 wants to throw a fireball at a nearby goblin. The possible results could be:
1: The spell explodes in Player 1's hand burning him and setting his clothes on fire.
2: The spell fizzles and does nothing.
3: Player 1 successfully casts the fireball, but all it does is singe the goblin's eyebrows and make him feel somewhat uncomfortable.
4: Player 1 throws the fireball as intended, and the goblin catches on fire.
5: The fireball is far stronger than normal and, upon hitting the goblin, immediately causes him to explodes into tiny chunks.
6: The fireball is so unbelievably powerful that it causes a wave of destruction, hitting everyone and everything in the room.

The last thing to discuss is bonuses/penalties. These, quite simply, affect die rolls by adding a +/- number to a specific type of roll. So, for instance, someone finds a really nice sword and gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with that sword, or someone has their hand injured and, from that point on, suffers a -1 penalty on all rolls on actions involving that hand. Also, some actions that are just inherently harder to perform will have automatic penalties whenever you try them. For example, if you try and jump a two-foot gap, you will have a normal roll, but if you try and jump a five-foot gap, something much harder, then you'll have a -1 penalty on the roll. If you try to go even further and jump a seven-foot gap, then you'll have a -2, and so on.

If anyone has any questions about how this all works, then feel free to ask.


Also, due to the fact that I need everyone to post regularly for this to advance, if you don't make a post within 16 hours of my last post, I'll proceed without you, and your action will be to stand around picking your nose, or something to that effect. If you miss three updates in a row, your character will be killed off in some humorously embarrassing way. If you are expecting to be gone for an extended period of time, then inform me beforehand, and I'll take control of your character until you return, performing actions that I consider to make the most sense given the situation.



So, what's the same, and what's new?

Like I said before, the concept is the same. You're still a bunch of people randomly thrown into a chaotic and nonsensical world on a quest to find a slice of pie. I also blatantly cut out several areas directly from the original. The apartment and café should certainly look familiar to some people.

As for what's different, well there are a few things. First, unlike the original which had one large, connected map, this one has each location separated into its own, individual map. This not only allows me to make it bigger and more expansive but also prevents me from being restricted in the size and shape of the locations I'm building. Second, you won't be looking for eight rainbow colored MacGuffins anymore, mostly because I couldn't figure out a way to stick that many quest-related items into the maps. Third, where you go is significantly more random, but you'll see what I mean later.

Fourth, there's now a rock-paper-scissors element to the melee combat because I was playing Fire Emblem when I made this one. If you use a weapon that's effective against another, you'll get a +1 Bonus on the roll. If you use a weapon that's ineffective, you get a -1 Penalty on the roll. So, it's pretty simple.

Image

Swords: Any bladed weapon, includes daggers.
Axes: Any weapon with a sharp head.
Lances: Polearms and other long-range weapons.
Maces: Any weapon with a rounded, bludgeoning head.
Monk: The catch-all "other" category, including various Asian weapons that don't fit into any of the above categories.



Healing Addiction: You must get healed once every 10 rounds or suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
Lustful Hunger: You must have sexual relations with a living being once every 10 rounds or begin suffering from starvation.



Application:
Character Name:
Starting Attribute:

Last edited by Olthar on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 155 times in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44164
Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 am

Don't wanna sound silly buuuut... What's a starting attribute? Is it like the skills and stuff?
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Don't wanna sound silly buuuut... What's a starting attribute? Is it like the skills and stuff?

Yes.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am

Come on, Zark. You haven't finished the application yet? I mean, I know it's big and intimidating and probably the most complex app you've ever seen before, but you still should have completed it by now. Are you at least half done? :P
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44164
Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am

I shit you not, I had to go to Seventh Sanctum.

Character Name: Celeste
Starting Attribute: Acrobatics
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:I shit you not, I had to go to Seventh Sanctum.

Character Name: Celeste
Starting Attribute: Acrobatics

lol :lol:

Anyways, accepted.
Last edited by Olthar on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44164
Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 am

Olthar wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:I shit you not, I had to go to Seventh Sanctum.

Character Name: Celeste
Starting Attribute: Acrobatics

lol :lol:

Anyways, accepted.


Me: Hmm... This should be easy enough.
-Stares at name field for 5 minutes-
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
Olthar wrote:lol :lol:

Anyways, accepted.


Me: Hmm... This should be easy enough.
-Stares at name field for 5 minutes-

:lol2:
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20739
Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 am

IT BEGINS

Character name: Elisabeth Silverstein
Starting attribute: Magic lasers!

Also,, do we set our own equipment?
Last edited by Rupudska on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romagnan Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM | #HyperEarthBestEarth
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

User avatar
Altito Asmoro
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33367
Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 am

Character Name: Raka Wajengra
Starting Attribute: Pencak Silat Martial Arts
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

User avatar
Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25887
Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Constaniana » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 am

Character Name: Dr. Pirate Jenny
Starting Attribute: Healing magic
Last edited by Constaniana on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join Elementals 3, P2TM's longest-running high fantasy roleplay, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

User avatar
The Inritus Extraho
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6129
Founded: Dec 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Inritus Extraho » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 am

Application:
Character Name: Given Runner
Starting Attribute: Taunt (Pull Aggro)
Last edited by The Inritus Extraho on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
You can call me TIE. I'm not on much... so telegram me if you need something.
FanT Nation - FT w/o space.
I'm on CA time, so... pacific. UTC -8
I'm bi, not single, and really any pronoun works.
I'll check out RP's if you TG me about them.

User avatar
Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator
 
Posts: 3923
Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 am

Name: Rake Kalspar
Starting Attribute: Agility/climbing

User avatar
Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 88655
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 am

Damn, this is a tough app.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

User avatar
Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11229
Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Damn, this is a tough app.


I know, right? It's the toughest app I've ever filled out. Can't even figure out half the stuff on there.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

User avatar
The Magnified Union of Aligned Communes
Diplomat
 
Posts: 717
Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magnified Union of Aligned Communes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 am

Hm. Fascinating. And with the type of enigmatic app sheet you don't see very often. Should I try plopping Tiddles into this one?

User avatar
Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25887
Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Constaniana » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Damn, this is a tough app.

Creating Dr. Pirate Bobby Jim Frank is probably the hardest thing I've ever done.
Join Elementals 3, P2TM's longest-running high fantasy roleplay, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 am

Man, this is so hard.

Name: Abby Mikoto
Starting Attribute: morphing
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
The Magnified Union of Aligned Communes
Diplomat
 
Posts: 717
Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magnified Union of Aligned Communes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 am

Okay, the cat can wait. Everybody say hello! to the stereotypical dumb caveman! :D
Character name: Ogg Nug
Starting attribute: Poking

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 am

Rupudska wrote:IT BEGINS

Character name: Elisabeth
Starting attribute: Magic lasers!

Also,, do we set our own equipment?

Everyone starts out naked.
And accepted.

Altito Asmoro wrote:Character Name: Raka Wajengra
Starting Attribute: Pencak Silat Martial Arts

Accepted.

Constaniana wrote:Character Name: Dr. Pirate Bobby Jim Frank
Starting Attribute: Healing magic

Accepted.

The Inritus Extraho wrote:Application:
Character Name: Given Runner
Starting Attribute: Defense.

Pick a different attribute.

Individuality-ness wrote:Man, this is so hard.

Name: Abby Mikoto
Starting Attribute: morphing

Accepted.

The Magnified Union of Aligned Communes wrote:Okay, the cat can wait. Everybody say hello! to the stereotypical dumb caveman! :D
Character name: Ogg Nug
Starting attribute: Poking

Be more specific. What's "poking?"
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Konariona
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5515
Founded: Oct 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Konariona » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

Application:
Character Name: Orik
Starting Attribute: Street brawling (he really likes brass knuckles)
Greetings, traveler.

Ruled by a hereditary monarch, Emperor-General Helix Dominastad.


You want our arms? Molon labe, Xerxes.

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 am

Konariona wrote:Application:
Character Name: Orik
Starting Attribute: Street brawling (he really likes brass knuckles)

Accepted.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 88655
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 am

Character Name: Jessy
Starting Attribute: Charm

Fuck it, don't fix what isn't broken. :p
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

User avatar
Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11229
Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 am

Character Name: Artemisia
Starting Attribute: Kleptomancy, aka the art of stealing things and picking locks.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Character Name: Jessy
Starting Attribute: Charm

Fuck it, don't fix what isn't broken. :p

Accepted. :P

Neo Arcad wrote:Character Name: Artemisia
Starting Attribute: Kleptomancy, aka the art of stealing things and picking locks.

Attributes can only have one bonus.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eghoo, Tracian Empire

Advertisement

Remove ads