NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Café: Discussion, brainstorming & advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an opt-out of Gameplay (specifically R/D) for P2TM Regions?

Yes.
65%
Nah.
12%
I don't care.
22%

Total votes : 139

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Why not use mibbit?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Agritum wrote:

Why not use mibbit?

Just 'cus...

>.>

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Esternial wrote:
Agritum wrote:Why not use mibbit?

Just 'cus...

>.>

the client tou are using, quite sincerely, sucks. And yeah, it is based on Mibbit. So, why not use Mibbit in the first place?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Agritum wrote:
Esternial wrote:Just 'cus...

>.>

the client tou are using, quite sincerely, sucks. And yeah, it is based on Mibbit. So, why not use Mibbit in the first place?

Just. 'cus.

It's just for chatting, what's so bad about it?
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Esternial wrote:
Agritum wrote:the client tou are using, quite sincerely, sucks. And yeah, it is based on Mibbit. So, why not use Mibbit in the first place?

Just. 'cus.

It's just for chatting, what's so bad about it?

my iPad can't load it :(
It can load normal minbit instead.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 pm

:hug:

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Agritum wrote::hug:

And you don't even come in? :p C'mon, it's lonely in a two-man mibbit room.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Mac Bac
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mac Bac » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 pm

How about this. WW3 has happened, you are in a group of people that survived the fallout in a underground bunker must survive against groups of bandits and new nations. The goal would to be remaking America or just making some civilisation. This is my first idea of a rp so don't get to harsh on me

Ronationils
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ronationils » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Okay I haven't been on NS P2MV in a while so I may be a bit rusty.

The RP I have in mind is similar to an RP done by someone (who's name I forget I think Jon) called "We Don't Need No Education. There are also a few twists to this one I was thinking of incorporating some of the elements from "Kenichi Histories Strongest Disciple". The bases of this thread would be a school except in this school classes would almost be second priority. In fact most of the students spend most of their time fighting in the Guild Wars (not the book). The guild wars are a war between several factions of students. This would be almost like a gang war in "Kenichi Histories Strongest Disciple". RPers would play as leaders of separate factions as they try to recruit new members into their Guild and defeat other Guilds. Players would wan't to get players with different skill sets such as strategists from the mathletes and karate stars from the Karate club. RPers would build up their Guilds and fight off others with makeshift weapons and traps. All the meanwhile they would have to be secretive so that the teachers wouldn't find out about them and send them to detention. Also, you could RP as a teacher. Teachers would try to recruit goody goodies and get them to catch the Guild leaders. Guild leaders could also pay off goody goodies and get out of some punishments.

What do you guys think.
Can anyone help me flesh it out?
Last edited by Indecisive on any day of the week of any month on any day of any year at any minute in any hour, edited 1,000,000,000,000 times in total

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Guys, a nice question.

You see 6 ships arriving to your coast, enemy ones.

Are you more interested in the type of the ships, or how many people are on each ship? And I'm talking about modern warfare.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Firstaria wrote:Guys, a nice question.

Are you more interested in the type of the ships, or how many people are on each ship? And I'm talking about modern warfare.

Type, who cares about the people controlling it?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:32 pm

I'd be more concerned about their firepower than their crew, to be honest, given the high level of mechanisation possible on warships these days, but that's just me and I'm no expert.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Firstaria wrote:Guys, a nice question.

Ships? What ships? All I see is six clay pigeons for Exocet practice. Missiles first, questions later.
Last edited by Neo Arcad on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 am

Yeah, thanks for giving me a point.

By the way, you know what an RP needs in my opinion? DEATH.

People play the RP with non caring attitude, knowing that as long as they don't do epic errors or overplay, the OP is not gonna kill them. On the other side, the OP can't just go around slaying characters, or nobody will join.
But what if the mechanic of death is used like videogames, more like a retry? Then people will play knowing they could fail, but also knowing that as long that is a fair fail they will just laugh on it.
Perfect example could be a Demon's souls RP, the mechanic is that the character in the game IS ALREADY DEAD, and death brings him simply back to the nexus, the main hub, but doesn't give him penalties or problems, he just have to retry.
I know,the game is infamous for being hard...but the mechanic is EXTREMELY interesting, the idea of " You are gonna play and hard enemy, and regardless of how good is your plan you can always fail" makes the PG say "Ok, i'm not gonna do an epic attack here, I'm gonna play smart and be sure to protect myself", making the RP a lot more interesting and developed.
Also, you can roast one liners and don't feel bad for it.
Last edited by Firstaria on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am

Firstaria wrote:Yeah, thanks for giving me a point.

By the way, you know what an RP needs in my opinion? DEATH.

People play the RP with non caring attitude, knowing that as long as they don't do epic errors or overplay, the OP is not gonna kill them. On the other side, the OP can't just go around slaying characters, or nobody will join.
But what if the mechanic of death is used like videogames, more like a retry? Then people will play knowing they could fail, but also knowing that as long that is a fair fail they will just laugh on it.
Perfect example could be a Demon's souls RP, the mechanic is that the character in the game IS ALREADY DEAD, and death brings him simply back to the nexus, the main hub, but doesn't give him penalties or problems, he just have to retry.
I know,the game is infamous for being hard...but the mechanic is EXTREMELY interesting, the idea of " You are gonna play and hard enemy, and regardless of how good is your plan you can always fail" makes the PG say "Ok, i'm not gonna do an epic attack here, I'm gonna play smart and be sure to protect myself", making the RP a lot more interesting and developed.
Also, you can roast one liners and don't feel bad for it.

...and loses all his hard-earned armor and stuff.

Yeah, a death system might be a good idea. How this would work is another question.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 am

I think it should be up to the OP who dies or not. He should judge, by the course of someone's character's actions and situation, whether or not its likely he/she will survive and inform that player about it. The player then knows he isn't at liberty to pull off an epic lifesaver, but have reality kick in and have his character get killed and describe their demise at the best of their abilities.

The Demon Souls thing is okey, being "your character won't die permanently", but there should be a penalty nonetheless. A loss in magical power or something similar. Ignoring an OP's death note (I'm calling it that from now on) results in a forced death and tremendous loss of power.

On the other hand, an OP can also have the character revive with no penalty, but limit their amount of rebirths. That'd make someone whose character is down to his/her last life reluctant to die, tough.

Or maybe the OP can have each character that dies re-appear when the group enters Hell or something and reunite them in their fight against some demon overlord? Perhaps through some sort of ritual? *shrug*

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Nope, Demon's soul though of it too. During the campaign, you came across bosses that can restore you into full life and force by defeating them.
Usually, the player is in soul form, strongly nerfed especially in health, so reviving is important....and of course once revived you can always die and return into soul form.

So the player is actually encouraged to play good and not die to remain strong.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm going to start doing death, though this only works with pre-dictated plots. Basically, I keep track of the order in which players apply; this gives them each a number, and me the number 1. I then make a list of "slots" corresponding to the numbers which are not revealed, but which detail the circumstances in which someone will be able to die. Each person can only die when certain "qualifiers" are met- for example, they have to be injured first and be attempting to flee, or they must be in the company of their love interest and carrying something to indicate their affection. That way there are no "pointless" deaths, or killing people just to kill them. And finally, I roll some virtual dice and add the random number resulting from this to each player's number, with the higher ones looping around. For example, if there are 12 players and the number I get is 3, then 12 becomes 3, 1 becomes 4, 5 becomes 8, 10 becomes 1, etc. That way, even I am not immortal; though I can avoid dying better than others, I'll probably still kill my character eventually, whenever the conditions have an opportunity to be met. The only drawback of this system is that once you have X number of players... that's it, no one else can join. Which is honestly probably better anyway, but...
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

I decided I'm actually gonna launch the Interest thread. I hope you will come to help me.

Starkindler
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkindler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Hmmm... I have stumbled upon an idea.
From SySig (Signals and Systems, a subject I learn at Uni) you will know that if you want to investigate a system your best guesses are seeing how it responds to a change or how it responds to a constant state.

It's MT, so it's the real world. However, there is a twist. By some way or another, evolution/God/Aliens (choose your side) has selected towards hexapodal beings. Later, some had lost or fused their additional limbs, but primates retained them. It resulted in the evolution/creation of several humanoid species, all of them mythical... and biocompatible with each other (#include beanmeme.h) PC's play as mermaids, satyrs, centaurs, 'angels', 'devils', etc. And live in a world where they are common place. Society have built upon PC - Political Correctness As PCs have no magic or superpowers otherwise, I have intended it as a slice of life RP, however, should anyone have a better plot idea...

It's MT, so it's the real world. However, there is a twist. Your friendly neighborhood mad scientist, happening to be sponsored by the Government had enough of splicing genes of viruses, bacteria and corn. And also he had played an unhealthy amount of D&D. He believes his genius can create something bigger... With the help of Our Great Leader, he has an ample amount of innocent civilians, unwitting victims, evil Imperialist scum (PCs) to do science on. They will be turned to mythological creatures without powers. PCs could experience either a slice of life RP as they adapt to their new situation by themselves (optionally on the run from the dictatorship government running after their future super-soldiers), or an action RP where the characters have voluntarily signed up to become the next generation of soldier, and as they get used to their bodies and each other, battlefield conditions became more pressing, and they get deployed immediately.

Boriem
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Starkindler wrote:Hmmm... I have stumbled upon an idea.
From SySig (Signals and Systems, a subject I learn at Uni) you will know that if you want to investigate a system your best guesses are seeing how it responds to a change or how it responds to a constant state.

It's MT, so it's the real world. However, there is a twist. By some way or another, evolution/God/Aliens (choose your side) has selected towards hexapodal beings. Later, some had lost or fused their additional limbs, but primates retained them. It resulted in the evolution/creation of several humanoid species, all of them mythical... and biocompatible with each other (#include beanmeme.h) PC's play as mermaids, satyrs, centaurs, 'angels', 'devils', etc. And live in a world where they are common place. Society have built upon PC - Political Correctness As PCs have no magic or superpowers otherwise, I have intended it as a slice of life RP, however, should anyone have a better plot idea...

It's MT, so it's the real world. However, there is a twist. Your friendly neighborhood mad scientist, happening to be sponsored by the Government had enough of splicing genes of viruses, bacteria and corn. And also he had played an unhealthy amount of D&D. He believes his genius can create something bigger... With the help of Our Great Leader, he has an ample amount of innocent civilians, unwitting victims, evil Imperialist scum (PCs) to do science on. They will be turned to mythological creatures without powers. PCs could experience either a slice of life RP as they adapt to their new situation by themselves (optionally on the run from the dictatorship government running after their future super-soldiers), or an action RP where the characters have voluntarily signed up to become the next generation of soldier, and as they get used to their bodies and each other, battlefield conditions became more pressing, and they get deployed immediately.

Why two? I suppose I like the first one better, but still...

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:57 am

Slice of life doesn't usually go after page 10 without a plot...

It kinda reminds me of something I already seen, not X-Man but simil...oh, DARK ANGEL!

Starkindler
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkindler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 am

Could you please post a link to that topic? I haven't seen the explicit title in a search through the forums.
EDIT: Googled it on TVTropes. I haven't seen that series, so I thought it was an original idea as I thought about who would need non-humans on Earth? And for what cause...

And @Borem: Two because the more popular and easily developed of the two can make it to be an RP if anyone is interested. And that's where the SySig comes in. The first defines the stabilized condition in t to infinity, where the PCs (the system) are used to the fact of being supernatural creatures (the input signal), exemplified in the work of New Amerik, who created his nation on several compatible species.

The second presents the incoming signal condition in t to positive zero, where the PCs (the system) are suddenly presented with the fact of being supernatural creatures (the input signal - times Heaviside function(t)).

I have for long thought about exploring the idea of how a human would react to themselves being transformed into supernatural creatures (t->0+), primarily angel-like winged humanoids and centaurs, and what would they do with their bodies (t->oo).
Last edited by Starkindler on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boriem
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boriem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Firstaria wrote:

Slice of life doesn't usually go after page 10 without a plot...

Or unless you're Nightkill.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse