NATION

PASSWORD

Your opinion on a interesting fact about the AN (II)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am

That's... not as bad as it might be. I'm more worried about the age difference itself than I am with an arbitrary ageline. A 50 year old man marrying a 16 year old girl is as bad as it would be if she were 9, 13, or 18.

(posting this again, I'll work on a new fact next time, luck be willing)
Cyprus was formally granted its independence by the British Commonwealth in late 1963. Within seven weeks, the Republic of Turkey, following the example of the Federation of South Africa a decade earlier, declared war on Cyprus, arguing that the island being part of the Ottoman Empire was justification enough for an annexation. The invasion was doomed from the start. Israel immediately dispatched its fleet to the island to aid in its defense, Persia, Hashemite Arabia, Greece, and Bulgaria immediately began a land invasion of Turkey from four sides, while the Commonwealth of Nations (at that point made of nine states including the British Commonwealth Itself) similarly mobilized for war. While the Turkish invasion force was crushed within seven days of the declaration of war, the true end of the war did not end until an army of 80,000 Turkish Cypriots, collaborating with Turkey to establish a Turkish state on the island, were crushed in Rizokarpaso on 13 January 1964. The Treaty that solidified the peace between the two powers (legally, the Commonwealth of Nations and the Republic of Turkey) formally returned a population of 500,000 Turkish Cypriots back to Turkey. The annual celebration of the Battle of Rizokarpaso has been a point of feud between Cyprus and Turkey ever since.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

The Empire of Occitania
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Occitania » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 am

Given how the world reacted to Turkey's invasion, the Turkish government and military were either stupid beyond comprehension to even consider an invasion of Cyprus given the current political climate, or they suffered a catastrophic military intelligence failure and made huge strategic miscalculations.

Empress Azalaïs I transformed Occitania from its old feudal system into a new, modern empire. For many, the memories of imperial Rome were for a third time, after Julius Caesar and Charlemagne, used to modify the historical evolution of Occitania. Widespread military reforms and the adoption of the regimental Imperial Eagle standards, coupled with a society-wide re-emergence of classical themes and architecture, and the glorification of their Latin roots, led Occitania to be hailed as the "Third Rome". These new Imperial Roman themes where not discouraged by Azalaïs I. Indeed, it could be interpreted that she even embraced this image, as during her coronation, her new Imperial Crown - which is still used to this day - featured a golden wreath at its base.
THE EMPIRE OF OCCITANIAL'EMPÈRI D'OCCITÀNIA
O Freedom, how beautiful you areÒ Libertat, coma siás bela
Factbooks of Occitania
HomeGeneral Information IGeneral Information IIThe EmpressThe Prime MinisterThe Federal GovernmentThe Armed ForcesForeign AffairsVisit OccitaniaOccitan News

I hope you have enjoyed reading the factbooks for Occitania! As you can see, most are still very much works in progress, and so if you run into any errors or inconsistencies, or simply have any questions, please do let me know!
This nation does not use NS stats

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:01 am

The Empire of Occitania wrote:Given how the world reacted to Turkey's invasion, the Turkish government and military were either stupid beyond comprehension to even consider an invasion of Cyprus given the current political climate, or they suffered a catastrophic military intelligence failure and made huge strategic miscalculations.

Empress Azalaïs I transformed Occitania from its old feudal system into a new, modern empire. For many, the memories of imperial Rome were for a third time, after Julius Caesar and Charlemagne, used to modify the historical evolution of Occitania. Widespread military reforms and the adoption of the regimental Imperial Eagle standards, coupled with a society-wide re-emergence of classical themes and architecture, and the glorification of their Latin roots, led Occitania to be hailed as the "Third Rome". These new Imperial Roman themes where not discouraged by Azalaïs I. Indeed, it could be interpreted that she even embraced this image, as during her coronation, her new Imperial Crown - which is still used to this day - featured a golden wreath at its base.

(Turkey being too dumb to live is a hallmark of the world of NGR. They've invaded the Free City of Constantinople, and had their capital bombed to the point of absurdity, seven times between 1940 and 1993 (the last invasion thus far). In this particular case, they just genuinely didn't expect such a large, violent response. Especially from Bulgaria, Greece, and Iran. At that point, literally nobody did, given two of the three had a better relations with Turkey than they did with the British Commonwealth, and the other (Greece) actually was drafting plans for invading British Cyprus when it was granted its independence. /skip
Last edited by North German Realm on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:15 am

The Empire of Occitania wrote:Given how the world reacted to Turkey's invasion, the Turkish government and military were either stupid beyond comprehension to even consider an invasion of Cyprus given the current political climate, or they suffered a catastrophic military intelligence failure and made huge strategic miscalculations.

The Roman Empire is back, you say? Excellent! Classical themes and architecture are much better than their modern equivalents, and uniting a society under common values has an array of benefits. I do hope Occitania isn't going to attempt to take the land the Roman Empire held, however... that might cause some geopolitical headaches in today's world, especially seeing as WW2 wasn't too long ago!

New immigrants to the Federation - an everyday occurrence given the allure of its powerful economy and stable, strong society - are provided with a package of "barf bags" to keep on their person at all times. This isn't technically required, but anyone with a stomach weaker than solid iron gladly takes them the second they get off the shuttle. These bags are necessary because Federation stations generate the illusion of Earth gravity by spinning and exploiting the resulting centripetal force. That spin has a byproduct, however - the Coriolis effect, which exerts a slight but noticeable force on all objects within the station. Humans adapt to it quickly, but for the first week or so, it wreaks havoc on the inner ear, often resulting in sudden unexpected bouts of nausea and vomiting.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Tundra Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Tundra Terra » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 am

Well how thoughtful of you to make the transition as painless as possible for newcomers. We hold the opposite view except for certain conditions as the issue of immigration is a more...violent solution.

Tundra Terra is interesting from a governmental perspective that it requires all government departments, armies, and even property or territories to be simultaneously self-sufficient and also to be running at a budget surplus. The self-sufficiency is a standard requirement due to the military nature of the government and as such are under expected to be under threat of being cutoff from the rest of the nation in times of war. This solves many issues and allows the fight to be continued for as long as possible under such conditions and if it also helps prevent civillians suffering from from potentially fatal shortages even in times of natural disaster then so much the better. The budget surplus plan was entirely designed to make the government official inclined to be more frugal rather than to give into the temptation of corruption or constant cost overruns that plague many more modern governments and thus lead to financial instability or unpaid loans. Part of it includes a rollover program that adds the savings to the next years and keeps the money within the department. This has allowed the government on multiple fronts to constantly whip up the necessary funding from reserves for big projects, advancements, efficiency drives, and solving emergency situations with utmost speed. The end result is a government that is great with money and uses it to blow out its competition.
Current Status: Tundra is rocking with the Krieg...
We are a PMT Military and no We don't use NS stats.Why?
because..."WAR IS ETERNAL!!!"
"If bloodlust vikings, dorve tanks to school, had PMT-FT tech with Chaos -like fanaticism, this would be it."
-------------------------The Posthuman Coalition

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Borgevia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Borgevia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:43 pm

While the surplus part sounds good in combating corruption, that also means politicians can still spend on things that doesn't benefit the people so long as it's a surplus. Sounds like more stringent measures need to be in place as a surplus law won't be any different than no-surplus at all, a corrupt politician will spend on themselves first.

Borgovians are the biggest wasters of food in Latin America. They waste more than Mexico and Cuba combined. It's due to how Borgovia's dominant ethnicities are Chinese, Spanish, and Italian who combined make up the majority of the population's ancestral descent. In Italian and Chinese culture especially, they both love to feed people and find it 'dishonourable' if they don't provide enough for their guests. Due to this, if you don't leave leftovers on the table, you're telling your host you're still hungry and they are obligated to provide to you lest they be seen as cheap or poor; that isn't good for their 'reputation' among the community.

That's why restaurants tend to give free appetisers in the form of Olive Oil with Bread or Hummus with Vegetables (Atlantic coast) or Rice with boiled/steamed vegetables (Pacific coast) or plain salad with bread (Inland). Desserts are often free as well: Douhua or Che on the Pacific coast, Yogurt and/or Sholeh Zard Inland and Atlantic Coast. All of this to avoid being seen as "cheap" or "poor" because restaurants that appear to be in the red usually scare away customers. This results in a dining culture where you have to have leftovers or else the restaurant or host are obligated to keep feeding you into satisfaction to 'save face'. However, discarded foods, including coffee grounds and tea leaves, are composted per Federal Law regarding waste.
Was once a ruthless capitalist Corporate State in South America (1800s - 1950s), but has since reformed into a Social Democratic, Federal, Parliamentary Republic whose politics is 90% of my irl views. We're Italo-Spanish-Chinese influenced and thus there's a lot of Chinese and Greco-Roman cultural references.

The world in this nation is changing for the better, current year is 2042.

Call us "Borgovia".

Vulgaro-Graznavian Commonwealth
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulgaro-Graznavian Commonwealth » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 pm

I think feeding the people is weird. Unless if it's a homeless or hungry etc.

Some of people believes in that Graznavians are a fictional nation. They mean it's a mix of Vulgarians and Drakans. And that's true. Graznavians are posterity of vary criminals, peasents avoiding the taxes or servants victimized by their own lords. They settled down in Ural Mountains, in 5th century BC.
Last edited by Vulgaro-Graznavian Commonwealth on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A slavic union of two technologically medieval nations: Vulgaria and Graznavia living in the other dimension called Bermudinia. One more thing. Don't call me lazy! I just have more important things than NS. And I'm not a furry!
Current year: 7536 (Slavic), 2027 (Christian)
HAPPY NEW SLAVIC YEAR!!!
News: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1334463

Palmyrion
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Palmyrion » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Vulgaro-Graznavian Commonwealth wrote:I think feeding the people is weird. Unless if it's a homeless or hungry etc.

Some of people believes in that Graznavians are a fictional nation. They mean it's a mix of Vulgarians and Drakans. And that's true. Graznavians are posterity of vary criminals, peasents avoiding the taxes or servants victimized by their own lords. They settled down in Ural Mountains, in 5th century BC.

At least the present day is bright compared to the past. More power to them - they made their ancestors proud.

In Palmyrion, you can make a sentence - even an entire conversation - using the syllable ba and the national lingua franca, Palmyrian.

"Ba? Baba? Bababa ba? Baba!" (Really? Down? Is it going down? Get down!)
__PALMYRION: INTO THE PALMYRO-VERSE__
Greater Dienstad (NSMT) | Kali Yuga (Hard MT) | Dark Lightshow (2100s PMT) | Niteo (AD 5000 FT) | Screwed Reality
Diplomatic Outreach Programme | The Dozen Giants | Storefront | Discord Server
A 15.83 civilization, according to this index.

NS stats have been [REDACTED] into a [DATA EXPUNGED].
Ostroeuropa refuses to answer this question: do women deserve equal rights in your opinion?

Ostsee Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostsee Empire » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 pm

That's actually kinda cool. I've heard of situations where words sound the same in some accents, but not something this extreme. I'm assuming "Baba" means 'down', because there is nothing else in this that I understand.

Despite having a relatively small colonial empire (five small islands in the Caribbean Sea and around 25% of what is now Gambia), Terra Mariana capitalized on trade during the 17th and 18th centuries. The slave trade alone made 10% of the country's annual income,while general trade coming from the colonies made a staggering 45%. That said, neither the trade nor the annual income was anywhere as high as what trading powerhouses like Venice, the Netherlands, and (to a certain point after the 18th century) Great Britain made.
--------------
--------------
--------------
The Baltic Empire || Terra Mariana
Overview | King | Minister-President | The World
In a timeline not very much unlike ours, Grunwald ended very differently.

Baltische Tageblatt: Purposefully refusing to wear masks in public made equal to attempted murder, new emergency executive order decides. | Narwa strikers open negotiations with state government, Estland Energie officials as workers' strike continue into their 11th week. | Jerusalem 'still neutral' in Jewish War for Independence. Haifa liberated by Jews with help from German and Polish soldiers, appointed temporary capital of the State of Judea. | Riots show no sign of 'blowing over' in Ottoman Balkans. Belgrade, Athens, Skopie, Saravejo completely out of state control.

Gylthas
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gylthas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 am

I hope you did well in your colonial trading endeavours.

The Arnorian Guard unit of the Imperial Guard has a sub-unit that uses javelins and chariots, albeit only for ceremonial purposes. In regular combat, they are a mechanised cavalry unit, and would use IFVs and standard-issue firearms.
Last edited by Gylthas on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
A 16 civilisation, according to this index.

Embassy programme here.

NEWS

GYLTHAN INTERVENTION OF THE ZAHARD WAR: Gylthan forces lay siege to Medaka.
GYLTHAN INTERVENTION OF THE ZAHARD WAR: Gylthan forces assault Siron.

Borgevia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Borgevia » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 am

That's nice, great for performances and art which is essential for a culture to develop instead of mindless worker drones.

Borgovia does have its own unique holidays, but it's actually not as big as foreign holidays it adopted. For starters, the 15th of August (Ferragosto) and April 21st (Rome's founding) are Federal holidays so it's expected that no one works, not even retail workers though some restaurants stay open for gatherings. Other foreign days are Fiesta Nacional de Espana (Spanish), Lunar New Year (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tibetan, Mongolian), Songkran (Thai), and Nowruz (Persian).

Lunar New Year, Fiesta Nacional de Espana, and 'Roma Day' are week-long holidays where it's expected that all government employees, students, and most unnecessary work are to take a break for the week to prepare for feasts and major community events. Songkran and Nowruz are days off often packed with grand events lasting throughout the week. Public transportation is mostly automated so there are people traveling from small areas that isn't hosting feasts to nearby places that does often creating holiday pedestrian traffic. Feasts would involve mock Gladiator sports by trained professionals, chariot racing, street food, dragon dancing, rodeo shows, cook-offs, competitive eating, Greco-Roman/Sinic stage performances, street performances, and others. The city of Santiago, which hosts the largest Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Malaysian population in Latin America, used to send every household red envelopes with an equivalent of 5 USD before the 1990s when the city exploded to over 7 million people.

The reason why Carnevale and Eid didn't get this kind of treatment is because of Borgovia's secularism. Anyone working during Ferragosto are to be paid double their hourly wages as it's a day of rest.
Last edited by Borgevia on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Was once a ruthless capitalist Corporate State in South America (1800s - 1950s), but has since reformed into a Social Democratic, Federal, Parliamentary Republic whose politics is 90% of my irl views. We're Italo-Spanish-Chinese influenced and thus there's a lot of Chinese and Greco-Roman cultural references.

Call us "Borgovia".

Ostsee Empire
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ostsee Empire » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 am

I naturally oppose the glorification of Rome as a civilization in any capacity, so I'm not sure if this is a travesty to me or not, but as a general rule of law, this level of multicultural holiday celebrating is generally something to be applauded.

Despite having a relatively small colonial empire (five small islands in the Caribbean Sea and around 25% of what is now Gambia), Terra Mariana capitalized on trade during the 17th and 18th centuries. The slave trade alone made 10% of the country's annual income,while general trade coming from the colonies made a staggering 45%. That said, neither the trade nor the annual income was anywhere as high as what trading powerhouses like Venice, the Netherlands, and (to a certain point after the 18th century) Great Britain made.
--------------
--------------
--------------

Baltische Tageblatt: Purposefully refusing to wear masks in public made equal to attempted murder, new emergency executive order decides. | Narwa strikers open negotiations with state government, Estland Energie officials as workers' strike continue into their 11th week. | Jerusalem 'still neutral' in Jewish War for Independence. Haifa liberated by Jews with help from German and Polish soldiers, appointed temporary capital of the State of Judea. | Riots show no sign of 'blowing over' in Ottoman Balkans. Belgrade, Athens, Skopie, Saravejo completely out of state control.

The Zravvisk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zravvisk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 am

Great Britain shutting down the slave trade must've hurt if it was 10% of your income. At least your colonies were profitable, glances at Scotland and the other European nations not in Western Europe.

After losing their home-planet, the Zravvisk did not plan to become nomads for the rest of their days. They tired colonizing many planets but they are failed. Many failed simply because they were a bronze age civilization trying to use space age tech they didn't understand out from the supervision of their ships' AI. Others failed because other nearby nations chased them off. Back then in the early days of the Armada the zravvisk were unusually hyper aggressive to anyone near them for reasons lost to history. Most of the galaxy saw them as a nuisance and if the zravvisk tried capturing an established colony or starting one near a civilization nation's boarders, a fleet would quickly arrive to drive them off. With all the failed colonies the zravvisk were remarkably stubborn in trying to make one work with them only giving up on finding a new home planet after centuries of failed colonies. Now the zravvisk see the stars as their true home and still have no habitual planets under their direct rule.
Zravvisk is the name of our species, but other people commonly call us "Space Dragons".
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and tolerable with condiments.
A day in the Armada isn't too different from a Star Trek episode if almost eveyone in the Federation was a dragon and spiritual.
Trying to collect every NS pokemon card. Almost 630 collected.

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:They believe the stars are full of wonder, when they are, in fact, GIANT, BURNING DEMON-SPHERES OF SIGHT-BLINDING, GRAVITY-CREATING, LIFE-ENDING, OVERALL DEADLINESS.

Qachuynia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Qachuynia » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 pm

I suppose that if you are driven off or otherwise fail every time you try to settle somewhere, you'll quickly adapt to the nomadic lifestyle. I do wonder what made them so aggressive back then though.

The Demarchist Commonwealth of Qachuynia disdains the political system of election by ballot, holding it to simply be way for the oligarchs to offer the masses the illusion of choice between various plutocrats. Instead, it relies on a system of sortition and direct democracy, referred to as Demarchy. This means that local leaders are selected much as one would be selected for jury duty; randomly chosen from a selection of candidates that meet the necessary criteria. This is considered by the Commonwealth to be far more in tune with the principles of Democracy than the oligarchical electoral system.
PMT Socialist-Demarchist Commonwealth located in a fictional solar system.

The Empire of Occitania
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Occitania » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:35 pm

That seems like a poor system that doesn't really seem to solve the problems it is intended to. Firstly, who is it that is determining the "necessary criteria", and how exactly is direct democracy actually being combined with sortition? How does one gain the consent of the governed when those in government are selected at random? How does one guarantee that a government elected through sortition actually represents the views of the people they govern? And from where does a government elected through sortition derive its legitimacy without a popular mandate? This seems more undemocratic than democratic. Combining aspects of representative democracy with direct democracy, similar to Switzerland's political system, seems like a much better solution in my opinion.

Empress Azalaïs I, who ruled from 1792-1858 and who is remembered in Occitania and abroad as the "Mother of the Constitution (Occitan: la Maire de la Constitucion)" and the "Daughter of Liberty (Occitan: la Filha de la Libertat)", was once referred to by an emissary from the Tsar of Bulgaria as "Azalaïs Augusta" and as "Empress of the Romans". Whilst the emissary was corrected, this highlights how post-1792 Occitania was believed to be the "Third Rome" by much of Europe, as well as the general belief that Azalaïs I had resurrected the spirit of Rome and imbued it into the Occitan national identity.
Last edited by The Empire of Occitania on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE EMPIRE OF OCCITANIAL'EMPÈRI D'OCCITÀNIA
O Freedom, how beautiful you areÒ Libertat, coma siás bela
Factbooks of Occitania
HomeGeneral Information IGeneral Information IIThe EmpressThe Prime MinisterThe Federal GovernmentThe Armed ForcesForeign AffairsVisit OccitaniaOccitan News

I hope you have enjoyed reading the factbooks for Occitania! As you can see, most are still very much works in progress, and so if you run into any errors or inconsistencies, or simply have any questions, please do let me know!
This nation does not use NS stats

Qachuynia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Qachuynia » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:52 pm

The Empire of Occitania wrote:That seems like a poor system that doesn't really seem to solve the problems it is intended to. Firstly, who is it that is determining the "necessary criteria", and how exactly is direct democracy actually being combined with sortition? How does one gain the consent of the governed when those in government are selected at random? How does one guarantee that a government elected through sortition actually represents the views of the people they govern? And from where does a government elected through sortition derive its legitimacy without a popular mandate? This seems more undemocratic than democratic. Combining aspects of representative democracy with direct democracy, similar to Switzerland's political system, seems like a much better solution in my opinion.

The system is largely based on the ideas of Athenian Democracy (although with significantly laxer criteria around participation) and Bookchin's communalism, so if you want a better idea of how it works those are a good place to start. Issues around legitimacy and accountability are common criticisms of the system, although with regards to accountability delegates can be recalled via a petition from the population that they represent. The idea is that by sampling from random selections of the population everyone's views will be represented, as opposed to representative systems where the representatives tend to overwhelmingly represent the dominant social group rather than society as a whole. It obviously isn't a perfect system, but there isn't really such thing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to TG me.

/skip
PMT Socialist-Demarchist Commonwealth located in a fictional solar system.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 pm

The Empire of Occitania wrote:That seems like a poor system that doesn't really seem to solve the problems it is intended to. Firstly, who is it that is determining the "necessary criteria", and how exactly is direct democracy actually being combined with sortition? How does one gain the consent of the governed when those in government are selected at random? How does one guarantee that a government elected through sortition actually represents the views of the people they govern? And from where does a government elected through sortition derive its legitimacy without a popular mandate? This seems more undemocratic than democratic. Combining aspects of representative democracy with direct democracy, similar to Switzerland's political system, seems like a much better solution in my opinion.

Empress Azalaïs I, who ruled from 1792-1858 and who is remembered in Occitania and abroad as the "Mother of the Constitution (Occitan: la Maire de la Constitucion)" and the "Daughter of Liberty (Occitan: la Filha de la Libertat)", was once referred to by an emissary from the Tsar of Bulgaria as "Azalaïs Augusta" and as "Empress of the Romans". Whilst the emissary was corrected, this highlights how post-1792 Occitania was believed to be the "Third Rome" by much of Europe, as well as the general belief that Azalaïs I had resurrected the spirit of Rome and imbued it into the Occitan national identity.

Ah, so Third Rome does exist. Thought so.
"The Church of Montreal (French: Église du Montréal), is also a financial agency situated in Montreal that conducts worldwide religious financial activities. It has multilingual ATMs with instructions in Latin, the only ATM in the world apart from the Vatican City with this feature."
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Mageek
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mageek » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Entrepreneurs never fail to disappoint. I suppose that if it is a theocracy, though, this might be a valuable function that the government serves.

Despite being commies, our government is considering a popular armament program to give the populace weapons and teach them how to use them, so that they could fight back in the event of an invasion.
Last edited by Mageek on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Better make sure you keep those citizens happy, then.

The Ascension uses retrofitted Chaos Raiders as their primary means of space combat and orbital assault, these vessels have been SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded from their original technological setup while retaining a similar aesthetic feel, though in truth the exterior hull of such vessels are a patchwork of scraps taken from a field of debris left behind from the one and only time that Godulan space was ever directly invaded.

These vessels now possess an eerie green glow burning from within, and despite their (relatively) small size of three kilometers in length are easily the match for most any vessel many times their size.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Borgevia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Borgevia » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 am

I sincerely hope you put more effort into efficiency than aesthetics given how difficult space travel is and the need to ensure all resources required for optimal combat is allocated to survival and sufficiency in its field.

The official anthem of the USA in this timeline is the Battle Cry of Freedom which became official after the Civil War ended. Though not exactly like IRL timeline since Borgovian volunteers did join the Union troops albeit most of those volunteers are private arms of Corpus Members, the other volunteers are Afro-Latinos from all over feeling a sense of solidarity after Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, attacking the southern coast of Alabama and built the modern day City of Costa Azul which is called a Spanish New Orleans. Due to the argument of state's rights, the United States went through a huge reform and began its ever-evolving project of Federal Parliamentary Democracy but with a very American characteristic: Every state has their own Parliament to pass state laws, but they still have senators and governors like IRL. Congress has been replaced with Parliament consisting of representatives of a party that was voted in by county. Federal wise, it's also parliamentary where seats are taken up based on percentage of votes but are by all means Legislative with President/Vice President/Senators playing a more Executive role. The President/Vice President are not associated with Parliament and so hold separate elections. The Judicial Branch still exists to keep Parliament in check.

It kept the South kinda happy, it preserved the Union, albeit Lincoln was sadly still assassinated. Jim Crow did still happen but to a lesser intensity due to Afro-Borgovian's connection to both DC and Montevideo as well as being wealthier/more educated than the average White & Black Southerner. Most Afro-Borgovians who later became Americans are of Ethiopian descent and are the faces of Black Universities, Literature, and Businesses in the United States. This doesn't mean Afro-Latinos are a merciful bunch. They forced Alabamans of all shades into either grueling factory/urban work or die of joblessness due to rapidly industrialising the state, often violently breaking down (or have the US Government do it for them) dissent to Alabama's Industrial Revolution. Because of this history, some Alabamans, the 3rd wealthiest state in the South, who sympathised with the Confederacy refuse to stand up for the anthem which did cause Republicans to scream at them. Literally a Right vs Right flame war instead of a football player kneeling.

Call us "Borgovia".

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:09 am

Borgevia wrote:I sincerely hope you put more effort into efficiency than aesthetics given how difficult space travel is and the need to ensure all resources required for optimal combat is allocated to survival and sufficiency in its field.

The official anthem of the USA in this timeline is the Battle Cry of Freedom which became official after the Civil War ended. Though not exactly like IRL timeline since Borgovian volunteers did join the Union troops albeit most of those volunteers are private arms of Corpus Members, the other volunteers are Afro-Latinos from all over feeling a sense of solidarity after Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, attacking the southern coast of Alabama and built the modern day City of Costa Azul which is called a Spanish New Orleans. Due to the argument of state's rights, the United States went through a huge reform and began its ever-evolving project of Federal Parliamentary Democracy but with a very American characteristic: Every state has their own Parliament to pass state laws, but they still have senators and governors like IRL. Congress has been replaced with Parliament consisting of representatives of a party that was voted in by county. Federal wise, it's also parliamentary where seats are taken up based on percentage of votes but are by all means Legislative with President/Vice President/Senators playing a more Executive role. The President/Vice President are not associated with Parliament and so hold separate elections. The Judicial Branch still exists to keep Parliament in check.

It kept the South kinda happy, it preserved the Union, albeit Lincoln was sadly still assassinated. Jim Crow did still happen but to a lesser intensity due to Afro-Borgovian's connection to both DC and Montevideo as well as being wealthier/more educated than the average White & Black Southerner. Most Afro-Borgovians who later became Americans are of Ethiopian descent and are the faces of Black Universities, Literature, and Businesses in the United States. This doesn't mean Afro-Latinos are a merciful bunch. They forced Alabamans of all shades into either grueling factory/urban work or die of joblessness due to rapidly industrialising the state, often violently breaking down (or have the US Government do it for them) dissent to Alabama's Industrial Revolution. Because of this history, some Alabamans, the 3rd wealthiest state in the South, who sympathised with the Confederacy refuse to stand up for the anthem which did cause Republicans to scream at them. Literally a Right vs Right flame war instead of a football player kneeling.

Interestingly.
They should let the south be independent on condition they abolish slavery.

In Sharifistan, the Air Cavalry has a system where it is quite common to raise through the ranks;
Because of this ambitious peasants often join the Air Cavalry rather than the Army, Navy or Naval Ghazi(Marines).
Once they become an officer they are entitled to an official coat of arms and even enlistees have some privileges.
Last edited by Champagne Socialist Sharifistan on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A nation which partly represents my views.
Founder of the Traditionalist Military Alliance:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=493756
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change

Black Lives Matter!

Ostsee Empire
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ostsee Empire » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:53 am

Wait, why would an officer be entitled to a coal of arms that would be respected in a governmental capacity? Like, no seriously what would even be the point?

In a bout of creativity totally out of character for Germans, there are two rivers in Terra Mariana with the same name: Aa. Of course, these rivers are differentiated from each other as so: Curonian Aa (known by some locals as Lielupe) and Livonian Aa (Gauja). Of course, this still doesn't beat the record held by the six distinct rivers with the same name that are located in the German province of Westphalia.
Last edited by Ostsee Empire on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------
--------------
--------------

Ostsee Empire
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ostsee Empire » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 am

/bump
--------------
--------------
--------------

The Burke Islands
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Burke Islands » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 am

That’s a strangely charming piece of info, would help people remember your nation as “that one with two rivers with the same name” I think.

Burkes tend to possess a libertarian outlook influenced by a multicultural ethos that is of Nordic, French, and Native American origin. However, Burkes are like the Icelanders in that they place a premium on independence and self-sufficiency. Over 95% of Burkes reportedly value independence as "very important". In addition, Burkish culture places great value on personal quests for honor and glory, leading many to travel and take part in missions abroad. Thousands of Burkes currently serve with foreign militias such as the YPG in Syria, and humanitarian service movements such as the Free Burma Rangers in Myanmar. While the Burkes generally oppose interventionist policies, they are proud that thousands of their own volunteer to fight for human rights all over the globe. Because of this individualist empowerment, most Burkes are capable warriors in their own right. Older generations often pass down training in martial arts, marksmanship, trauma care, etc. to their descendants, and the public education system mandates gun safety and first aid courses.

However, it would be inaccurate to think of Burkes as war-mongering brutes obsessed with fighting and warfare; glory and honor mean something different to them. It can be gained from any worthy challenge, regardless of whether one succeeds or fails. It does not matter if a child places last in a middle school spelling bee, or if a renowned war hero defeats a hundred enemies with his bare hands, as long as they fought to overcome their challenges with all their strength, then honor is gained. The only times failure is looked down upon is when one does not fight with honor and with all their strength; laziness, dishonesty, cheating, and cowardice are reviled among Burkes, and can lead to social isolation until one proves themselves worthy again.
❤️~Remember, no one will ever be able to hate you more than you already hate yourself~❤️

Tarchuna and Ravenna
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarchuna and Ravenna » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 am

WHY IS PRESIDENT YLVA A WILDLING?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives