NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Liberate Haven

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Crysuko wrote:support withdrawn. if you're going to be so aggressive and animalistic about it.

> says the person who wanted to forcefully remove a RP region's PW so raiders could have at it
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:Mall, I must admit, you do make a good case. The reactions to the proposal in the thread, especially those who are already getting warned for just their initial comments, are amusing. I'll Abstain, I guess. I'm in no way a fan of weaponizing the Security Council for something like this, but I've got no love for Haven and am frankly tired of those who choose to play our R/D Game and then claim they should be protected from it themselves.

Tell me, which of the 8 nations currently residing in Haven were involved in any point in gameplay.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Crysuko wrote:You have our support for this, regions should not be allowed to stagnate in such a slow heat-death-of-the-universe sort of manner. We will provide any support should it be deemed needed for us to do so.

R/D's ideas of "stagnating" are different from those of RPers.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Questers wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I'm not familiar with exactly when Haven passworded itself, so if that four year figure needs adjusting one way or the other that information would be appreciated.
The date is 2004 by the way.

So the OP is complaining about something that's been in place for a decade.
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Crysuko wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Why shouldn't regions be allowed to just quietly sit there if that's what the residents want to do?

If they want to sit around and do nothing then don't bother joing a region which are meant for actual action. adding a password to enforce the sloth compounds this issue.

Your definition of "action" might be different from theirs.

And you can't be in NS without being in a region.

The best you can do is opt-out of the R/D shenanigans with a password.

Who made you the arbiter of what regions were "meant" for? Theirs clearly isn't meant for what you want yours to be.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Crysuko wrote:support withdrawn. if you're going to be so aggressive and animalistic about it.

And don't for one second imply I don't know how things work. I dip my toe in this pond and have it bitten off, way to make an impression.

Maybe you should question your own stances, if that's how people reacted to them.

Lots of RPers use regions mainly as places to coordinate RPs, or just have quick access to their RP co-writers. They don't use them at all in the same way that raiders do.

RPer regions appear inactive to raiders sometimes when really the members are still actually fairly active, while raider regions appear inactive to RPers because they don't have any RPs.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:Mall, I must admit, you do make a good case. The reactions to the proposal in the thread, especially those who are already getting warned for just their initial comments, are amusing. I'll Abstain, I guess. I'm in no way a fan of weaponizing the Security Council for something like this, but I've got no love for Haven and am frankly tired of those who choose to play our R/D Game and then claim they should be protected from it themselves.

"But officer, it can't be rape. She consented once, over a year ago...."

I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you mention it, a lot of this rhetoric sounds eerily like "she was asking for it!"

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey Batorys, there's an edit button for a reason. Quintuple posting is a bit much.

Central Prestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Prestonia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Look, I haven't been around in two years and it's highly likely that none of you will give a damn about what I have to say in any case but I just brought my nation out of retirement to address this point when it was brought to my attention.

Haven is, as much as any place on the internet can be, my home. I don't mean that lightly. I've known a lot of the old Havenites longer than most of my IRL friends, from awkward teenage years through college and into adulthood. Haven represents much more than I can put into words. At some of the worst points in my teenage life, it was my escape hatch. The writing I learned how to do there has become a hobby that I keep up to this day, the one talent I'm immensely proud of having. Now, we've all adjusted and grown up, we don't see each other as much on IRC anymore or have as much time to write, but Haven remains. It's not just a region, not just a target for people who played a part of the game we never had any interest in beyond defending our own. It's a symbol, to me at least, of a specific time in my life and some of my great friends I've made throughout that time. And now people who have no idea what it means or what it stands for want to destroy it, because it's there.

Raiders raid. That's what you all do, and I have no objection to it. But this isn't raiding. This is destroying, for the sake of destroying. And Haven may not be active as a region, but if I can bring my nation back after two years just to make a point to defend a piece of my history, I'm sure others will as well. We mean no harm to anyone, we take no part in your game, and we ask only that our region, our history, be allowed its natural and dignified end. And if you will not allow it, we will fight for it, as we have once before.
Puzikas wrote:Machine Cult of the V8
Steel Cult of the Murdercube³
Organic Cult of the Undying Axolotl

nomine ferri, machinam, et Sanguinem
Ave.

[23:35:03] ‹feepbot› Trans|Work: I do not understand preston!

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Its nice to see a WA forum moderator using the WA to troll the natives of this game into flaming. Classy as always.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:Its nice to see a WA forum moderator using the WA to troll the natives of this game into flaming. Classy as always.

I know.

It's so nice to see how fair and unbiased our moderation staff really is.
Ave Nex Alea

Oseato
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oseato » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:Its nice to see a WA forum moderator using the WA to troll the natives of this game into flaming. Classy as always.

Ah, there is "nothing wrong" with this according to moderation so apparently its not trolling. Hopefully he will reconsider his motion but I think that's unlikely at this juncture. In any event, the fact of the matter is that this resolution is based on a falsehood that Haven is somehow responsible for the coup in the South Pacific in which the original poster was himself involved in and would know very well that Haven never once conspired or involved itself in The South Pacific's politics.

The fact that a moderator has decided to 1) troll and 2) lie is simply amazing. Really goes to show where NS stands in terms of supporting its users.
Last edited by Oseato on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
République morivaine
La Resistance

"If world opinion is too feeble or egoistical to do justice to a martyred people, and if our voices also are too weak, I hope that Hungary’s resistance will endure until the counter-revolutionary State collapses everywhere in the East under the weight of its lies and contradictions."

Albert Camus, The Blood of The Hungarians, 1957

Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I mean... This WAS funny, and I'm PRETTY sure it was a joke. I think it sets a bad precedent for holding a region's not wanting to be involved in R/D against them, just in case this is a serious resolution. It's like punching someone in the face for not wanting to box with you and then saying, "Well you not wanting to box made you a Goddamn coward, so clearly you should lose the boxing match." If it's a serious proposition it's just a sort of cancer AIDS hepatitis genocide gangrenous phallus sort of thing to say.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

Renor Xukuth
Envoy

Founded: Oct 03, 2007
Father Knows Best State

Postby Renor Xukuth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Delmonte wrote:I mean... This WAS funny, and I'm PRETTY sure it was a joke. I think it sets a bad precedent for holding a region's not wanting to be involved in R/D against them, just in case this is a serious resolution. It's like punching someone in the face for not wanting to box with you and then saying, "Well you not wanting to box made you a Goddamn coward, so clearly you should lose the boxing match." If it's a serious proposition it's just a sort of cancer AIDS hepatitis genocide gangrenous phallus sort of thing to say.

We concur. It will destabilize the regions, and it could lead to the end of many aspects that are positive to this gaming experience.

It's not that we do not love you as a people, we love how your people taste, how they bleed. It's just that you are not our equals and never will be.

Oseato
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oseato » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Delmonte wrote:I mean... This WAS funny, and I'm PRETTY sure it was a joke. I think it sets a bad precedent for holding a region's not wanting to be involved in R/D against them, just in case this is a serious resolution. It's like punching someone in the face for not wanting to box with you and then saying, "Well you not wanting to box made you a Goddamn coward, so clearly you should lose the boxing match." If it's a serious proposition it's just a sort of cancer AIDS hepatitis genocide gangrenous phallus sort of thing to say.

What's great is this happened before and Haven was forced to play the game to get its region back. Once was apparently not enough.
République morivaine
La Resistance

"If world opinion is too feeble or egoistical to do justice to a martyred people, and if our voices also are too weak, I hope that Hungary’s resistance will endure until the counter-revolutionary State collapses everywhere in the East under the weight of its lies and contradictions."

Albert Camus, The Blood of The Hungarians, 1957

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Renor Xukuth wrote:

We concur. It will destabilize the regions, and it could lead to the end of many aspects that are positive to this gaming experience.

Yes. I can say that if Haven is liberated I and everyone in RP I'm associated with in Gameplay will move our accounts to Haven and endorse the native there. Unequivocally, that is what I will do.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

Vetok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vetok » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Speaking for myself, I'll happily dance with the devils of Delmonte and his followers if it helps prevent the spiteful usurpation of what is a historic roleplay region. You might not like Haven, and you might be willing to lie just to fuck it over, but not all of us are willing to let that happen.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Vetok wrote:Speaking for myself, I'll happily dance with the devils of Delmonte and his followers if it helps prevent the spiteful usurpation of what is a historic roleplay region. You might not like Haven, and you might be willing to lie just to fuck it over, but not all of us are willing to let that happen.

I'm getting up an in character role play on the International Incidents forums regarding the story of the defense of Haven. I wonder if you'd like to join?

EDIT: Also the Green-Black Concordat has been disbanded because the regions it protected went inactive.
Last edited by Delmonte on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Y'all remember to use the "N" when discussing R/N/D. Natives make up the vast majority of this game, even if they did not opt into Gameplay as we see it.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm going to respond to the general sentiments of the posts above rather than specific posts because there are so many and they tend to be incredibly repetitive. If anyone believes that I've missed a point then they can feel free to let me know.

1. Haven wasn't involved in TSP!
  2. Even if it was that doesn't justify this!
  3. You secretly want to raid Haven and that is all this is about!
  4. Raiding is evil!

So let's go down that list and see where everything falls.

1) Haven was involved in TSP. They had the embassy, embassies which were given in exchange for support. How many of you roleplayers who have flooded this thread were there too? More than a few, fun fact. You can play the victim all you want and feign ignorance of what happened, but to argue that Haven was uninvolved is simply lying. Getting that embassy with haven and concessions in the WFE to various RP regions were critical to gaining the support that allowed the 2013 coup to last ten days instead of only three. For those who complain that I was involved in the Coup of TSP: wouldn't that make me the resident expert on who was and was not involved?

2) This is where I see a lot of confusion. The line regarding TSP is not a justification for the proposal. That line exists to serve as a rebuttal to a potential counterargument, it is not by itself a justification but rather seeks to undermine the justification for voting against. The other clauses justify the Liberation: namely that the activity generated by raiding it outweighs the "rights" of the natives to continue rotting behind the password. People keep touting the amazing history of Haven, but I'm the only one who is attempting to give it a future.

3) There is nothing sneaky about this proposal. I say in the text that I want this to result in a raid of Haven. So the various people who are accusing me of lying or trying to be sneaky probably haven't actually read the text of the proposal.

4) Hey you can think whatever you want about raiding. If you disagree, then vote against. The SC Liberation feature exists to strip regions of their autonomy as the voters see fit. If the voters see fit in this case then that will happen to Haven.

Lastly please keep in mind that accusations of rulebreaking such as flaming, trolling, moderator abuse, etc, do not belong in this thread. They belong in the moderation forum. Obviously I will not be moderating any aspect of this thread, so posting the claims here won't do anything other than rile people up, so as a player I'd appreciate it if that was kept in mind.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:36 pm

New Tsavon wrote:

I know.

It's so nice to see how fair and unbiased our moderation staff really is.

Just because they are mods doesn't mean they have to give up on playing the game. Mall is a raider. There are numerous defender mods as well. They are fair and unbiased when making rulings, but that doesn't prohibit them from actually playing the game as well. To say otherwise would be completly unfair and quite frankly a shitty idea.
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:1) Haven was involved in TSP. They had the embassy, embassies which were given in exchange for support. How many of you roleplayers who have flooded this thread were there too?

Kylarnatia wrote:
Dismissing the argument that peaceful regions such as Haven should not be attacked by noting that such "peaceful regions" were heavily involved in the 2013 coup of The South Pacific.

...and, from what I can gather from reading this thread, your only piece of evidence to support that claim is the fact that Haven had a brief embassy with The South Pacific during that time? Do you not perhaps think that, to roleplay regions, embassies embody a completely different meaning then what they do to the R/D game?

As far as I've always seen it, embassies were a friendly gesture, and that was that. Seeing as Milograd - a prominent member of the roleplaying community long before his supposedly infamous streak in the gameplay community - was in charge of The South Pacific at the time, do you not think it is plausible that regions like Haven accepted the embassies merely as a friendly gesture, and nothing else? I certainly know this to be the reason for why Gholgoth's embassy was established.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Mall, this is a base attempt to chase role players away from NationStates. And that's stupid. Because what Role Players do on NS is all that anyone from outside NS can really relate to.

"Oh, you write things for other people to see, wow that's really neat."

"Wait, you mean... at twelve am you... switch regions then... click a button and... that does what?"

See the difference?

Vetok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vetok » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I'm going to respond to the general sentiments of the posts above rather than specific posts because there are so many and they tend to be incredibly repetitive. If anyone believes that I've missed a point then they can feel free to let me know.

1. Haven wasn't involved in TSP!
  2. Even if it was that doesn't justify this!
  3. You secretly want to raid Haven and that is all this is about!
  4. Raiding is evil!

So let's go down that list and see where everything falls.

1) Haven was involved in TSP. They had the embassy, embassies which were given in exchange for support. How many of you roleplayers who have flooded this thread were there too? More than a few, fun fact. You can play the victim all you want and feign ignorance of what happened, but to argue that Haven was uninvolved is simply lying. Getting that embassy with haven and concessions in the WFE to various RP regions were critical to gaining the support that allowed the 2013 coup to last ten days instead of only three. For those who complain that I was involved in the Coup of TSP: wouldn't that make me the resident expert on who was and was not involved?

You're arguing an embassy is a reward, please explain how. And if you're going to play the game of 'Oh most of you here are guilty', name and shame those responsible. It'll be fascinating to see if any are still in Haven. What Milograd did was his problem entirely, and to be honest if you mentioned it to most people he associates with in RP channels they'd simply say 'TS what?'

Mallorea and Riva wrote:2) This is where I see a lot of confusion. The line regarding TSP is not a justification for the proposal. That line exists to serve as a rebuttal to a potential counterargument, it is not by itself a justification but rather seeks to undermine the justification for voting against. The other clauses justify the Liberation: namely that the activity generated by raiding it outweighs the "rights" of the natives to continue rotting behind the password. People keep touting the amazing history of Haven, but I'm the only one who is attempting to give it a future.

I think the actual 'natives' of Haven as you call them have more of a right to decide what to do with their region than you.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:3) There is nothing sneaky about this proposal. I say in the text that I want this to result in a raid of Haven. So the various people who are accusing me of lying or trying to be sneaky probably haven't actually read the text of the proposal.

Not accusing you of being sneaky. You're being incredibly baldfaced about it all.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:4) Hey you can think whatever you want about raiding. If you disagree, then vote against. The SC Liberation feature exists to strip regions of their autonomy as the voters see fit. If the voters see fit in this case then that will happen to Haven.

And in this case, it's a damned silly idea to do it just for your personal playpit to get a little bigger.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Delmonte wrote:Mall, this is a base attempt to chase role players away from NationStates. And that's stupid. Because what Role Players do on NS is all that anyone from outside NS can really relate to.

"Oh, you write things for other people to see, wow that's really neat."

"Wait, you mean... at twelve am you... switch regions then... click a button and... that does what?"

See the difference?

Yeeeaaaah...debates about which form of playing the game is more legitimate never end well. Let's please not go there :P
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council