NATION

PASSWORD

Security Council Guide and Q&A Thread

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Kshemarashtram
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 414
Founded: Mar 30, 2026
Autocratic Socialists

Regarding the Condemnation of raiders

Postby Kshemarashtram » Wed Sep 30, 2026 6:08 am

The Ambis wrote:
Kshemarashtram wrote:-snip-
snip

Thank you, by the way :bow:
Sorry I forgot to acknowledge it :(


I've read on quite a few occasions that raiders can be Condemned, but on any of the drafts I see on Condemning some raider nation/region, they seem to be met with an avalanche of opposition and the comments seem to mostly boil down to "we don't give badges to raiders" without much reasoning or arguments as to why (while of course 'reasoning' is something most SC feedback finds itself deficient in, in most cases I concede the drafts don't do themselves any favour).

Condemnations are awarded for playing the IC villain, and raiders are playing the IC villain, so why aren't they Condemned if they do their job well? To be honest, while going through the Condemnations, I did see a few awarded for what seemed to be successful raiding operations, but I also recall reading in quite a few places that the Council is making efforts to repeal raider Condemnations as it doesn't want raiders to have badges. In addition, I see people express absolute and uncompromising opposition to any WA proposal, no matter how well-written, if the author is from a "raider region". The question is: why?

Though I know I've earlier been vehemently censured for calling R/D a waste of time, I admit that it's quite fun to observe from an outsider perspective. It's a game after all, and C/Cs seem to me quite like the aftermath of this game, offering recognition to players who did their job well. So why can't raiders be Condemned for playing the IC villain and doing a good job at that? Is there any reason other than base resentment for them destroying regions?

Compare it to a cricket match, where on the field, everyone is fiercely competitive and trying to win, but after the game, the blokes who get all cranky upon defeat earn the sobriquet of a "bad sport". But much more well-regarded are the blokes who, even after defeat, have grace enough to laugh and say "well played lads" and then go on to have dinner together.

I of course am very much a foolish newbie to this site and there might very well be some additional nuances I'm missing, so I'm asking this question.
Last edited by Kshemarashtram on Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Note: This nation is not socialist. Read about this misleading nation classification.
AtaHana wrote:Adults are just kids who think they've grown up
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Call the doctor - sense of humour transplant required.

User avatar
Heavens Reach
Minister
 
Posts: 3219
Founded: May 08, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Heavens Reach » Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:14 pm

Kshemarashtram wrote:
The Ambis wrote:snip

Thank you, by the way :bow:
Sorry I forgot to acknowledge it :(


I've read on quite a few occasions that raiders can be Condemned, but on any of the drafts I see on Condemning some raider nation/region, they seem to be met with an avalanche of opposition and the comments seem to mostly boil down to "we don't give badges to raiders" without much reasoning or arguments as to why (while of course 'reasoning' is something most SC feedback finds itself deficient in, in most cases I concede the drafts don't do themselves any favour).

Condemnations are awarded for playing the IC villain, and raiders are playing the IC villain, so why aren't they Condemned if they do their job well? To be honest, while going through the Condemnations, I did see a few awarded for what seemed to be successful raiding operations, but I also recall reading in quite a few places that the Council is making efforts to repeal raider Condemnations as it doesn't want raiders to have badges. In addition, I see people express absolute and uncompromising opposition to any WA proposal, no matter how well-written, if the author is from a "raider region". The question is: why?

Though I know I've earlier been vehemently censured for calling R/D a waste of time, I admit that it's quite fun to observe from an outsider perspective. It's a game after all, and C/Cs seem to me quite like the aftermath of this game, offering recognition to players who did their job well. So why can't raiders be Condemned for playing the IC villain and doing a good job at that? Is there any reason other than base resentment for them destroying regions?

Compare it to a cricket match, where on the field, everyone is fiercely competitive and trying to win, but after the game, the blokes who get all cranky upon defeat earn the sobriquet of a "bad sport". But much more well-regarded are the blokes who, even after defeat, have grace enough to laugh and say "well played lads" and then go on to have dinner together.

I of course am very much a foolish newbie to this site and there might very well be some additional nuances I'm missing, so I'm asking this question.

It is not actually the case that raiders have been historically excluded from receiving condemnations. However, you are seeing IC as exclusively being about RP, when it's also still a PolSim, and you don't reward your IC enemies with recognition. Damnatio memoriae and all that.
Lux perditionis absolutio derelictorum est.
Chancellor | Lightbringer | Silver Spear | Champion
⧫ ⧫ Kentarche ⧫ ⧫
Compassion, unless it is consistently applied, is nothing but window dressing for self-interest.
♪♫ A hope of stardust left in time ♪♫

User avatar
Rhaza
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1330
Founded: Oct 26, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rhaza » Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:50 am

R/D is not a sport within the game. It’s warfare within the game. These people would wipe out any of our regions if they had the chance, it’s completely irrational to give them rewards that they want (which they in turn use as recruitment tools to bolster their numbers).

In an in-game sense, raiders are not "well regarded blokes" playing the other side of a baseball game. They are terrorist organizations whose sole purpose is to inflict as much distress on communities they are actively destroying, usually via taunting or etc, on top of the actual destruction. They don’t deserve anything other than being crushed and pushed to the fringes of the game’s politics.

Congrats on being their latest mouthpiece, likely unwittingly.
Last edited by Rhaza on Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kshemarashtram
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 414
Founded: Mar 30, 2026
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Kshemarashtram » Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:26 am

Thanks for answering, Heavens Reach and Rhaza :bow:

Rhaza wrote:Congrats on being their latest mouthpiece, likely unwittingly.

Unwittingly indeed; how am I to know? I mostly just answer issues and comment on GA drafts and talk to some people when I come to this site, and when I read the R/D sections in the FAQ and the guide in the Gameplay forum, it seemed like just another competitive minigame to me.
Last edited by Kshemarashtram on Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: This nation is not socialist. Read about this misleading nation classification.
AtaHana wrote:Adults are just kids who think they've grown up
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Call the doctor - sense of humour transplant required.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16213
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:06 am

To add that the 2017-19 period was transformational for SC community norms:
  • Condemnations went from being genuine denounciations of the target's actions to "dark Commendations" (following both the 2017 wave of raider Condemnations and the 2019 wave of general Condemnations). Today, all Condemnations are seen as "badges of honour."
  • Nominee consent became a foundational bedrock of C&Cs, not just Liberations (following the controversy of Commend Frattastan II, where the nominee let his nation CTE because he did not want a Commendation).
  • Liberations stopped acknowledging raider groups by name (this started when Lenlyvit declined to name fascist regions and unsavoury raider groups in Liberate The Monarchist Entente and Liberate Boston, but became standard practice for all invasions requiring Liberations in the 2020s).
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Lydia Anderson, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, LGA#484, LGA#491, LGA#533, LGA#540, LGA#549, SC#356, LGA#559, LGA#562, LGA#567, LGA#578, SC#374, LGA#582, SC#375, LGA#589, LGA#590, SC#382, SC#385, LGA#597, LGA#607, SC#415, LGA#647, LGA#656, LGA#664, LGA#671, LGA#674, LGA#675, LGA#677, LGA#680, Issue #1580, LGA#682, LGA#683, LGA#684, LGA#692, LGA#693, LGA#715, LGA#757, SC#526, LGA#763, LGA#788, LGA#791, LGA#792, LGA#798, LGA#799, LGA#800, LGA#807, LGA#814, LGA#817
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Torchbearer of Aeternum; fourth-most-prolific WA author of all time; proclaimer of WZTC's move to Palmetto
Tinhampton the player: 50yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading nothing (I'm too busy)

User avatar
Kshemarashtram
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 414
Founded: Mar 30, 2026
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Kshemarashtram » Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:54 pm

Tinhampton wrote:snip

:bow:

Nominee consent became a foundational bedrock of C&Cs, not just Liberations (following the controversy of Commend Frattastan II, where the nominee let his nation CTE because he did not want a Commendation).

I'm curious though, why would someone be so vehemently opposed to a badge of honour? Even going so far as to CTE just to avoid one?

And I assume repeals of C/Cs do not require consent?

Condemnations went from being genuine denounciations of the target's actions to "dark Commendations" (following both the 2017 wave of raider Condemnations and the 2019 wave of general Condemnations). Today, all Condemnations are seen as "badges of honour."

Ah, so were earlier Condemnations seen as badges of shame?

And to clarify, I saw that Condemnations have been awarded for playing the IC villain in the aspect of stats and roleplay, but in the aspect of gameplay, what kind of acts would even warrant a Condemn nowadays? I don't think I can rely on the earlier ones to get an understanding, since the norms were different then. Looking at the draft of "Condemn Gagium", Gagium seems to have played the IC good guy, and Rhaza said that they initially intended to go for a Commend, but went for a Condemn just because Gagium quipped that it would be funnier. And the people playing the actual IC villain are boycotted from the WA because we shouldn't give recognition to them. So what kind of players would actually deserve a Condemn nowadays from a gameplay perspective?

Edit: Well, I reckon I should take a look at post-2017 Condemnations.
Last edited by Kshemarashtram on Tue Oct 06, 2026 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: This nation is not socialist. Read about this misleading nation classification.
AtaHana wrote:Adults are just kids who think they've grown up
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Call the doctor - sense of humour transplant required.

User avatar
Islandwalk
WA Secretariat
 
Posts: 172
Founded: May 15, 2025
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Islandwalk » Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:54 am

Kshemarashtram wrote:And I assume repeals of C/Cs do not require consent?

That depends. There is such a concept as a repeal and replace, and those do require consent, although they are somewhat rare. I think most repeals tend not to be done with consent, mainly because the player is held in poor regard or the C/C is extremely substandard.

Kshemarashtram wrote:And to clarify, I saw that Condemnations have been awarded for playing the IC villain in the aspect of stats and roleplay, but in the aspect of gameplay, what kind of acts would even warrant a Condemn nowadays? I don't think I can rely on the earlier ones to get an understanding, since the norms were different then. Looking at the draft of "Condemn Gagium", Gagium seems to have played the IC good guy, and Rhaza said that they initially intended to go for a Commend, but went for a Condemn just because Gagium quipped that it would be funnier. And the people playing the actual IC villain are boycotted from the WA because we shouldn't give recognition to them. So what kind of players would actually deserve a Condemn nowadays from a gameplay perspective?

Part of consent is that the nominee needs to be okay with which type they're getting. The view generally tends to be that a player is either C/C-able or not, and that can earn them either type depending on what they want/which is more fitting. The challenge is just to spin their accomplishments in whichever way is needed.
World Assembly Secretariat / Chief of Staff in The North Pacific / Sometimes known as Voopmont

Authorship: (legacy) GA#804, GA#821, GA#842, GA#859, GA#860, (new) GA#2, GA#4

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Astrobolt, Gre Milotramia, Lenlyvit

Advertisement

Remove ads