NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.V

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Next OP for the MGVoYN[NM] Thread

The Kievan People
9%
Questers
7%
Rich and Corporations
1%
Yes Im Biop
7%
Anemos Major
47%
Dragomere
23%
Mod Controlled
5%

Total votes : 81

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Of course it's burning oil. It's a two-stroke engine.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Val Nube
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Re: Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.V

Postby Val Nube » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:Of course it's burning oil. It's a two-stroke engine.

Uh, it's a 5TDF diesel...

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah that shouldn't happen if the engine is in good shape. I personally think its Antifreeze being burnt from a blown headgasket, but a gasket failure could also theoretically provide low enough combustion that some fuel escapes the cylinder unburnt, which would also cause low power.

Of course it's burning oil. It's a two-stroke engine.

I doubt that. Source?

Uh, it's a 5TDF diesel...

To be fair, there are two stroke Diesels out there (Detroit is the only brand i know of offhand to make major use of them however)
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Val Nube wrote:Thanks, guys. I'll have to maintain mine better I guess. I just didn't want a giant pillar of smoke declaring my AFV's positions.

with diesels that's inevitable.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Val Nube
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Nube » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 pm

United States of PA wrote:To be fair, there are two stroke Diesels out there (Detroit is the only brand i know of offhand to make major use of them however)

I suppose. In this case though, it's the same engine as the T-64, although I think only having five cylinders is weird.

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Val Nube wrote:
United States of PA wrote:To be fair, there are two stroke Diesels out there (Detroit is the only brand i know of offhand to make major use of them however)

I suppose. In this case though, it's the same engine as the T-64, although I think only having five cylinders is weird.

Yeah 5 cylinders in Opposed Piston Fashion is weird in my eyes too.
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:49 pm

Thats supposed to be the 5TDF. Anyone smarter than me wanna explain how that is suppossed to work while being Opposed Piston as everything i have seen has said? Looks to me more like a Inline 5 cyl. turned on its side

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks, that explains why it looks so fucking funny to me.

EDIT: Though, the whole "Of course it burns oil" argument i think is farce. I really do not think that was blue smoke. It would take a insidious amount of oil to generate THAT MUCH smoke if it was oil being burnt. Considering the lack of a head gasket, its probably unburnt fuel, which could be a issue of timing, bad injectors etc.
Last edited by United States of PA on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:
Val Nube wrote:Thanks, guys. I'll have to maintain mine better I guess. I just didn't want a giant pillar of smoke declaring my AFV's positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Val Nube
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Nube » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:01 am

Somehow, I doubt that.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:with diesels that's inevitable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

http://youtu.be/huEQIlxlIo4?t=39s
rich and corporations is rite???
diesels take too long to start and are a bit smokey
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Val Nube
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Nube » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 am

Triplebaconation wrote:http://btvt.narod.ru/4/5td/5tdf.htm

Huh. Well, I guess if this is right, it is a two-stroke engine.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 am

http://youtu.be/huEQIlxlIo4?t=39s

1 youtube video = point proven :roll:
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 am

Diesels take too long to start. 1 second of cranking = 1 second too long. Ban diesels.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Diesels take too long to start. 1 second of cranking = 1 second too long. Ban diesels.

you forgot the turbocharger to spool up.
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:http://youtu.be/huEQIlxlIo4?t=39s

1 youtube video = point proven :roll:

u give irrevalent youtube video and then complain I only give one?y
it's clear who's winning this argument, but since I'm on a roll, I might as well add a second youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8jh1wruac
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:13 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Diesels take too long to start. 1 second of cranking = 1 second too long. Ban diesels.

you forgot the turbocharger to spool up.

lel

Vitaphone Racing wrote:1 youtube video = point proven :roll:

u give irrevalent youtube video and then complain I only give one?y
it's clear who's winning this argument, but since I'm on a roll, I might as well add a second youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8jh1wruac

Stop posting.

ITT: Two videos of old tanks starting up proves all diesels emit giant pillars of smoke. Also diesels take too long to start because the turbocharger needs to spool up.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 am

Last edited by Lemanrussland on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:19 am

Rich and Corporations wrote:http://youtu.be/huEQIlxlIo4?t=39s

Hardly a given. And thats not really the smoke cloud present in the video Val Nube posted now is it?

The only time you will "inevitably" get a smoke cloud like in Val Nubes video from a diesel is when something is seriously wrong, or the engine/temperature is damn cold. A little bit of smoke on start up is to be expected because of how much energy it takes to fully combust diesel, which is not attained immediately.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 am

Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-12T8rjC8

Nah this is.

Rolling coal and blowing heads all the way to 1800hp Yee Haw!!

EDIT: Honestly, this needs to stop though, getting offtopic.

Diesel engines are hardly a Coal Rolling Smoke Generator. Most start up with a miniscule amount of smoke overall unless its cold out (Which is a issue with both diesel and gas) and engines that are newer designs than that leopards have sensors that eliminate any smoke on start up via variable timing from the ECM.
Last edited by United States of PA on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:44 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote: Two videos of old tanks starting up proves all diesels emit giant pillars of smoke.

:lol: the leopard 2 is old?
but it's australia's main battle tank?
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:45 am

United States of PA wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-12T8rjC8

Nah this is.

Rolling coal and blowing heads all the way to 1800hp Yee Haw!!

EDIT: Honestly, this needs to stop though, getting offtopic.

Diesel engines are hardly a Coal Rolling Smoke Generator. Most start up with a miniscule amount of smoke overall unless its cold out (Which is a issue with both diesel and gas) and engines that are newer designs than that leopards have sensors that eliminate any smoke on start up via variable timing from the ECM.

turbines
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

United States of PA
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 am

Rich and Corporations wrote:turbines

Fair point, but diesels are still better at least in my opinion for reasons such as the fact they they have closed the power density scale, are almost as multifuel, cheaper iirc etc.

At this point its just arguing semantics. No engine is going to smoke like that BMPV-64 unless something is seriously wrong, you cannot argue that.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:52 am

United States of PA wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:turbines

Fair point, but diesels are still better at least in my opinion for reasons such as the fact they they have closed the power density scale, are almost as multifuel, cheaper iirc etc.

At this point its just arguing semantics. No engine is going to smoke like that BMPV-64 unless something is seriously wrong, you cannot argue that.

Actually with every new generation of turbines and diesels, turbines become fairly close to the fuel efficiency of previous generation diesels, and diesels become fairly close to the power density of the previous generation of turbines. But I'm certain a gap still exists.

And diesels need special equipment to be fueled with natural gas, while my tanks only need different fuel tanks.

I didn't even see the BMPV-64 video and I wasn't really factoring that into my arguments.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information