NATION

PASSWORD

Applications for Aurora! (Open, MT RPing Region, NO ALTS)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:23 am

Am I allowed to use a nation that is a territory of Astholm, but otherwise autonomous of it - yet it follows most of the home country's laws?
(same as St. Pierre and Miquelon is related to France IRL?).

Since Astholm is in its own region, are puppets permitted in this RP as a nation?
Last edited by Astholm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Songhia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Songhia » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 am

Namizia wrote:
Nation Name: The Republic of Namizia
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Moralistic dictatorship under the pretences of a democracy
National Leader(s): President Shaka Kigali
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): Namizia is the result of brutal colonisation followed by a bloody war for independence. The majority culture is the indigenous Bantu, black Africans who are mostly rural-dwelling villagers, or who live in the shanty towns near larger cities. The Bantu are religious, following the Reformed Christian faith, but maintain hangovers from their pre-colonial tribal and animalist past. This includes the existence of many tribal chiefs and a strong family and tribal connection. Though the majority, and with complete political power, they have no power in the armed forces, only wielding military power through various illegal and corrupt militias who run rampant in the north of the country.

The second main culture is the white Europeans, those who remained in the country when colonisation ended. Due to the in-fighting between the different Bantu tribes, the Europeans have been able to maintain their high standards of living and control over both the economy and the official military, which is almost exclusively white. They make up almost 20% of the population and tend to be extremely conservative and religious, though they are Protestant Christians rather than Reformed, as with the Bantu. They have a fierce history of military excellence and are renowned for their fighting spirit and ability, many having fought in the war of independence to break free from the ruling colonial power.

Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): Namizia is almost entirely Christian, the divide being between the Reformed Bantu, and the Protestant Europeans. There is a small number of Hindus, though there is no way for them to express their religion properly.

Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): The mainland is mostly savannah and grassland in the interior, with some mountainous terrain to the north-east, and an almost tropical forest climate to the east. There are a few small islands of the east coast which are tropical and covered in hilly jungles.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Namizia was formerly controlled by a European colonial power, having been fought over by other European powers for over a century beforehand. The colonists were largely a mix of Dutch, Belgian, French Huguenot, and Scottish and felt very little affinity to their 'homeland'. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, they largely lived in exclusion from the indigenous Bantu, who were treated with a sort of passive-aggressive respect, until the 1960s when the colonial power sought to create a more united political nation with a view to self-autonomy. It resulted in minority rule for the colonists and the loss of large tracts of land for the Bantu, but was seen very unfavourably by all. The one major result was the formation of the Namizian Security Forces which, due to their political control, was dominated by the Europeans. In 1967, an all-out Bantu rebellion erupted across the country, and the NSF chose to do nothing. Many Europeans actually joined the uprising, prompting the colonial power to fight a long drawn-out but ultimately doomed war of insurgency that lasted until 1983. Upon independence, the Republic was declared and President Shaka Kigali was elected in what was seen to be a heavily rigged election marked by violence and intimidation.

Since then, the country has been termed as 'ungovernable'. The north is home to multiple militias, pirate gangs and drug lords who are strong enough to resist any government attempts to remove them. This is made worse by the fact that the European-led NSF operates separately from the Bantu-dominated government. Poverty among the Bantu is high and corporations exploit a corrupt government, meaning that locals (other than the white elite) see none of the profits. The shaky government holds together the tribal leaders in the regions only through the strong and ruthless personality of the President, who is rumoured to be close to death. Though abundant in natural resources, Namizia has no way to exploit them, either technologically or operationally.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]: [Note: I made this nation after I gave up with a former nation. This RP example is from the former nation]

19:09, Thursday April 25
Over the Antonine Sea
Royal Air Force CV-22B Osprey
International Waters

There was something relaxing about the muffled noise of the rotors just inches away from your head, separated by the thick metal walls of the aircraft and a hefty dose of insulation. It drowned out most of the noise from inside the cabin, distancing you from even your neighbour. And before missions like this, all you wanted at this point was some time to mull things over in your head. That was what the team of six was doing right now. They were sat against the sides of the Osprey's cabin, some leaning right back against the wall, others hunched over, their heads almost in their knees. All of them were laden with gear and dressed like something you'd imagine to be in a computer game. They were suited up in some sort of wetsuit, padded with thermal layers beneath, and with webbing slung around them, packed full of weaponry and supplies. Neatly attached to everyone's right arm and on the front and centre of their webbing was a dark variant of the Anglican flag in blues and blacks, an identifier that would hopefully protect them if they got caught.

Their faces were emotionless, ready, deep in thought. Not that this could be seen. Dark camo paint was applied in thin layers, covering all easily-identifiable features and breaking up the natural lines of the face, making any expressions difficult to discern. Yet in the dim light of the cabin, this group of six men were just as helpless as any others, save for the rifles nestled between their legs. It was when they got off this aircraft that they became the dangerous men of the Special Air Service, renowned for their brutal efficiency and feared for their ability to go unnoticed. This was made twice as impressive by their preparedness. They had been training for infiltration and sabotage operations more often than usual in the past two months, and it hadn't escaped the minds of many that this was linked to the deterioration of events within Skako. The mock training centres, erected from wooden boards, had even begun to resemble more and more the Skakoan style of architecture, and the tropical training, well that had just confirmed it for the men of 61 Regiment SAS.

And now, after months of higher intensity than usual training, these six were flying fast and low over the Antonine Sea, leaving behind the relative safety of their barracks back in Regnum Albion, and willingly entering a warzone. It was their own choice. All men who had been selected for the SAS were career soldiers by choice, having already been a part of Her Majesty's Armed Forces for a minimum of six years, and having trained non-stop since they were recruited into the regiment. They all took the regimental motto to heart, and followed it wherever it took them. Feet First Unto Darkness.

The time for thought was now over though. The cabin's dim light had been swamped by the red glow from a bulb at the rear. All heads shot towards it and movement began in earnest. Radio sets were checked, as were rifles and sidearms, and the six men began to pair up near the rear of the aircraft where they grouped behind a large boat. The silence was broken by a louder-than-necessary announcement from the co-pilot, just as shift in the aircraft's vector caused the six men to lose their balance slightly.

"Arriving at co-ordinates in sixty seconds, I say again, sixty seconds. Ramp disengaged."

Immediately a crack of light began to appear at the rear of the aircraft, steadily growing larger until it revealed a brutal sea, lapping away beneath them. It took a few seconds to put the water into perspective, but once this was done it looked relatively calm, the darkness exacerbating the look of danger within it. Now there was nothing between the men within the aircraft and the sheer wall of noise that was hitting them. The sound of the rotors was mixed with that of the waves beneath them and the wind soaring at the aircraft. It was a miracle the pilots were keeping it so steady. They lowered the aircraft down as much as they could, tilting it backwards slightly until the sea was lapping at the end of the ramp. The light went green. Immediately all six men pushed the boat while leaping in, not dissimilar to a bobsleigh. Their efforts saw the vessel launched into the water, the engine rapidly being tilted down beneath the waves by the rear man, and the aircraft, that last blanket of security, departing into the night sky. Within seconds it could no longer be seen or heard. They were alone.

"We're facing the right direction. Get that engine going and we should make it to shore in the hour." The voice was quiet yet harsh, amplified in everyone's ears by their radio sets. It came from the man lying against the port-side, his eyes eagerly scanning the sea around him. He wasn't the most muscular of the men, but he was the type that garnered respect, and for good reason. Rather than the standard combat knife that the others had sheathed behind them, he carried a Khukuri, reflecting his preference for the up-close-and-personal touch. His order was followed immediately, but in silence, action being the only acknowledgement he needed. The six men in their boat made their way swiftly but surely to the Skakoan shore.

Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]: None

Yeah! Friends forever.

Astholm - yeah, no, I'm really sure that we're hard-and-fast on the 'no colonies' rule. You can't have a foreign power coming in to bail you out; what you have here is what you have at all.
Diplomatic Program of the Republic of Songhia - Factbook
Whenever you see a word ending in -e or -ey, it's supposed to end in é - ie the city of Yandé, Brg. Simon Touré, and so on.
I also control Aurinsula and sometimes post interchangeably with it.

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 am

OK, new application:
(not a colony of Astholm, but independent of it - in line with no colonies rule, changed per request).
Nation Name: Harlinnforth
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: The government's ideologies are to be determined; it would take too long to list their full position on things here.
National Leader(s): John Murray (Scottish-Canadian)
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): Culture is mainly a mixture of English, Scottish and Scandinavian peoples, with some Canadian immigrants as well - mainly of Swedish Canadian, Danish Canadian and German Canadian descent. Black British and Black Canadian are common, along with Indian people, mainly of Anglo-Indian descent.
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): The nation has no official religion, and is secular. Islam is uncommon as a religion. Religion is, on the whole, not that important to the populations' daily lives.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): British climate, equivalent to either what you'd get in Leeds or Hertfordshire (areas bordering London - e.g. Watford/Hemel Hempstead/St. Albans). At your discretion which.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): This nation was founded by immigrants from Astholm, which has its own laws, but has adapted Astholm [i.e. British] law for most other things.
TSRGD (Traffic Signs and General Regulations/Directions) same law as mainland Astholm [i.e. the United Kingdom, of which Astholm is based on] but has some regional variants and road signs unique to this nation.
In this nation, you will need a car to get around; also, football, food and drink, tourism, history and automobiles, are the main cultural things.
Main economies are production of food and drink, metals, automobiles, ICI-type industry and tourism - not necessarily in that order.
Harlinnforth is named from 'lost' Hertfordshire place-name meaning 'ford of Herela's people', from Old English (Anglo-Saxon) personal-name + ingas "people of" + ford "river crossing, ford", changed to -forth by folk etymology with Northern placenames that have -forth in instead of -ford, and folk etymology with the Scottish river River Forth.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=221880 is my RP.
However, since I participate in Global Economics and Trade more, this is a more likely one:
From Global Economics and Trade

RECIPIENT: Cristiano Marino, Director of Sales, VLT Automotive Group

RESPONSIBLE: Mark Saunders, VLT Astholm

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the two plants - with the first site there is a local workforce, well-educated, nearby towns are Redmarsh (39 mins away) and Woking (11 mins). There are no suppliers based there for raw materials, but there are suppliers down the other end of the M4 motorway, and suppliers/raw materials in Oxhamshire with its capital Oxham (1 hr 6 mins) and Dalkinham (1 hr 9 mins off the motorway).

For the second site, there is a nearby workforce - Birmingholme (54 mins), Newcastle-super-Lyne (10 mins), Wolfhampton (50 mins). The bordering counties/regions already produce vehicles anyway, with Rauwe, Opel, Rover, Land Rover and Celsan producing vehicles there. There is an educated workforce in the aforementioned towns but you would have to recruit locally since this area has no history of motor vehicle assembly; well, unless you count car modifications as a form of assembly. In the bordering counties/regions there are suppliers.

I can get you some pictures of this second site, based at 3 Centurions Street, Stoke-super-Trento, which I have taken.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Yours faithfully,
Mark Saunders,
VLT Astholm
Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]:
Last edited by Astholm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

The Steel Fraternity
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Fraternity » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Both Harlinnforth and Namizia look good to me.

In regards to Namizia, though, you'll probably end up having to swap out Auroran colonial powers for Europeans in your history. I believe the general rule here has been to prohibit interference by any RL nations in Aurora's history. Both Lydenburg and my nation have our initial settlers coming from RL nations, but in both cases there is an immediate break-off of outside interference within Aurora following that initial settlement.

Perhaps you might do something similar, with an initial wave of settlers from outside Aurora, followed by squabbling between Auroran colonial powers? Or just replace your European colonizers with white Auroran colonists?

Namizia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Namizia » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Regarding the RL nations, that's fair. I wasn't going to have any RL nations get involved anyway, just have them form the basis of Namizia's history (so basically the first round of colonists were Europeans). The only real use for referencing the RL nations was to show the culture of the white Namizians rather than for any political or foreign affairs reason.

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 am

As it were, does it matter that my nation's peoples are descended from English, Canadians etc. ?
On IIWiki

The Steel Fraternity
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Fraternity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 pm

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but it shouldn't matter too much as long as you avoid ties to RL nations beyond an initial source of immigrants, and more importantly tie your history in with the rest of the nations in Aurora.

Namizia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Namizia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 pm

I had a chat with Lydenburg and I agree with him that with the apparent abundance of apartheid-like states, I would just be a fairly dull addition. Even if I did make the white culture slightly different, it still involves the same mix of racial tension, civil strife and international condemnation that I probably couldn't twist into an original storyline.

Besides, I must have decided to make Namizia in a moment of madness when I felt a bit bored with my original nation, and I should have pushed through the day-long boredom and persevered. I'm sorry for causing an unnecessary fuss, but I'll withdraw my application for the sake of a more interesting and diverse region. That being said, I'd love to apply as my original nation at a later date not too far into the future (I'm sure you all figured out from the RP example who my original nation is!)

Thanks for taking the time over me and sorry for being an indecisive little bugger!

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 am

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Songhia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Songhia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 am

Regnum Albion wrote:So, I applied as Namizia, but that was a bit iffy with the whole history issue. So here's a (hopefully) much simpler application:

Nation Name: The Crown Commonwealth of Regnum Albion
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Parliamentary Democracy w/ Constitutional Monarchy
National Leader(s): His Majesty King William III (Head of State), Prime Minister Sir Arthur Templer (Head of Government)
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): Regnum Albion is almost the exact definition of a nation-state, with the ethnic Anglicans making up around 98% of the population. Culturally, Anglicans are known for their liberal views on society, government and the economy, with civil rights held close to heart and political freedoms seen as a central tenet of society. They seek diplomatic solutions and try to avoid war at all costs, but have been known to intervene on foreign soil when the international system has been threatened or when grave human rights abuses have occurred. Even then, deployments are small-scale and only with the support of the international community. Anglicans are strong believers in social democracy, with fairness being held dear in the creation of policies and in the dealings of companies. This has led to the creation of an economy based around the Nordic Model, providing for a universalist welfare state and a high degree of income redistribution. This goes hand-in-hand with the less individualistic and more community-oriented society of Regnum Albion.

Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): Anglicans are almost entirely Protestant Christians, most of whom follow the Episcopalian Church which is extremely liberal in its beliefs and promotes the individual's interpretation of religion. Though officially a state church, the Episcopalian Church holds no political, social, economic or other form of power, the position being simply an honourary one.

Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): Rolling hills and plains in the east rising to small mountains in the west. Generally temperate with cool summers and winters. Fairly rainy all year round, but a brief respite in the summer months. I've styled Regnum Albion as an island since I made the country, but I understand if that's not possible on your map.

Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Regnum Albion has been the metropole for a large overseas empire, consisting of 23 colonies. These colonies have had self-government and virtual autonomy for many years now, but the government passed an Act of Parliament providing for a gradual process of independence for all 23 colonies, to be completed by 2020. I'm just saying this as some extra info as to the context in which Regnum Albion operates (essentially a former imperial power, hence the high degrees of pride in the armed forces) but the overseas empire will NOT come into any of my RPs as a way to boost my own abilities. If it is mentioned, it will only be in reference to other foreign concerns and its historical significance.

Roleplaying Example: Here [Note that the OP retconned this RP due to a change in national history, hence the abrupt end]

Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]: Nothing really.

That seems wholly respectable.
Whenever you see a word ending in -e or -ey, it's supposed to end in é - ie the city of Yandé, Brg. Simon Touré, and so on.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 pm

@RA: Will your colonies appear on the map?

Furthermore, does this mean you're abandoning Serenia and its existing community? We do expect all members to move to Aurora if they're looking for a serious commitment.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 pm

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 am

Let's just post this and have done with it.

Nation Name: The Republic of Aurinsula / Jindao Minguo / 金岛民国
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Four-Branch Presidential Republic
National Leader(s): Zhao Yingtai, President; Wang Nongchang, Vice President. Zhao Yingtai is the country's first female president, a sign that many hail as a great step forward for sexual equality in Aurinsula. Both represent the center-right Democratic Party, or NDP.
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): The break-away province of Jindao was once part of the mighty celestial empire of Tinchalia, and is one of the main curators of 5,000 years of history, culture, and literature. There have been rocky fits and starts and the transition isn't perfect, but the Aurinsulans have managed to successfully meld an ancient way of life and system of government with the principles of modern, constitutional democracy. But we're essentially Chinese.
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): The Aurinsulans have no state ideology, and everyone is free to practice whatever religion they wish. Nevertheless, most Aurinsulans practice the same syncretic mixture of Mahayana Buddhism, ancestor worship, worship of a wide pantheon of deified sages, and generic Heaven-worship as the rest of the Tinchalian world. 84% consider themselves 'Buddhist,' but they dip between a variety of different temples and schools as circumstances or temperment dictate. 8% of the country officially practices no religion.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): A tropical nation that borders the sea; the Golden Island for which the country is named is a tiny one within hard swimming distance of the shore. Aurinsula claims the opposite side of the Skorzenian canal, on the Afrosian mainland.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Aurinsula boasts a highly-developed economy dominated by 29 Caihongmen, massive corporations, all vertically-integrated, that include both industrial companies and lending instutitions under the same roof. It is a world-leader in automation, ship-building, and heavy industry, and its products can hold their own the whole world over.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]: I consider myself somewhat beyond this, given my particular background.
Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]: You may know me better as Songhia. Aurinsula has a total population of 72 million and an economy of 1.84 trillion, 2.4 trillion at PPP. Its economic statistics are identical to South Korea, scaled up to a combined population of the whole peninsula.
Last edited by Aurinsula on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Steel Fraternity
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Fraternity » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 am

Aurinsula wrote:Let's just post this and have done with it.

National Leader(s): Zhao Yingtai, President; Wang Nongchang, Vice President. Zhao Yingtai is the country's first female president, a sign that many hail as a great step forward for sexual equality in Aurinsula. Both represent the center-right Democratic Party, or NDP.
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): The break-away province of Jindao was once part of the mighty celestial empire of Tinchalia, and is one of the main curators of 5,000 years of history, culture, and literature. There have been rocky fits and starts and the transition isn't perfect, but the Aurinsulans have managed to successfully meld an ancient way of life and system of government with the principles of modern, constitutional democracy. But we're essentially Chinese.
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): The Aurinsulans have no state ideology, and everyone is free to practice whatever religion they wish. Nevertheless, most Aurinsulans practice the same syncretic mixture of Mahayana Buddhism, ancestor worship, worship of a wide pantheon of deified sages, and generic Heaven-worship as the rest of the Tinchalian world. 84% consider themselves 'Buddhist,' but they dip between a variety of different temples and schools as circumstances or temperment dictate. 8% of the country officially practices no religion.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): A tropical nation that borders the sea; the Golden Island for which the country is named is a tiny one within hard swimming distance of the shore. Aurinsula claims the opposite side of the Skorzenian canal, on the Afrosian mainland.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Aurinsula boasts a highly-developed economy dominated by 29 Caihongmen, massive corporations, all vertically-integrated, that include both industrial companies and lending instutitions under the same roof. It is a world-leader in automation, ship-building, and heavy industry, and its products can hold their own the whole world over.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]: I consider myself somewhat beyond this, given my particular background.
Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]: You may know me better as Songhia. Aurinsula has a total population of 72 million and an economy of 1.84 trillion, 2.4 trillion at PPP. Its economic statistics are identical to South Korea, scaled up to a combined population of the whole peninsula.

Opposed, on the grounds that I would be required to add two whole lines to my factbook to explain that part of the Asian-Skorzenian population is Aurinsulan. :meh:

Seriously, though, are we saying that Tinchalia was in North Afrosia, or that Aurinsula was a colony of an extra-regional Tinchalia?

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:01 am

The Steel Fraternity wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Let's just post this and have done with it.

Opposed, on the grounds that I would be required to add two whole lines to my factbook to explain that part of the Asian-Skorzenian population is Aurinsulan. :meh:

Seriously, though, are we saying that Tinchalia was in North Afrosia, or that Aurinsula was a colony of an extra-regional Tinchalia?

The latter. Tinchalia's not on the map at all; it's well and proper far away. In any case, Tinchalia the state no longer exists; it's collapsed into regional feuding warlord regimes, of which Aurinsula is one. Tinchalia the nation no longer has the Son of Heaven to rule it, and is now many squabbling fiefdoms. Aurinsula is (would be) the only one of those to be located here in Aurora.
Last edited by Aurinsula on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalumba
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 am

No objection to Regnum Albion here.

I don't have any objection to Aurinsula other than it's location. Are we saying Afrosia is Asia and Africa combined? Seems a little strange to have two such different cultures so close to each other.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
The Colonial Crisis viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138755
-St George wrote:Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.

Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.

Baptism of Fire 43 Champions
A Luta Continua

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:31 am

Kalumba wrote:No objection to Regnum Albion here.

I don't have any objection to Aurinsula other than it's location. Are we saying Afrosia is Asia and Africa combined? Seems a little strange to have two such different cultures so close to each other.

Aurinsula is a straight-up colony; 98% of the people there trace their ancestors before the 1700s to a foreign country.

Tell y'all what; I'm going to hop into the IRC and we can discuss this directly as we need to.
Last edited by Aurinsula on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am

Aurinsula wrote:
Kalumba wrote:No objection to Regnum Albion here.

Aurinsula is a straight-up colony; 98% of the people there trace their ancestors before the 1700s to a foreign country.

Tell y'all what; I'm going to hop into the IRC and we can discuss this directly as we need to.

I would suggest, Songhia/Aurinsula, that you choose a different location other than Afrosia, in the interests of continuity - our Asian/African nations which don't seem to fit so precisely into Afrosia have normally been located somewhere on Aurora Major instead. Think Afrosia as being sub-Sahara, and Aurora Major being a much more vast and diverse continent where we've had everything that doesn't quite seem to fit anywhere else.

In any case, I'm not certain it's such a wise idea to locate two of your nations in such close proximity to each other. Having them lead entirely separate existences would be much better, for RP purposes.
Last edited by Lydenburg on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Aurinsula is a straight-up colony; 98% of the people there trace their ancestors before the 1700s to a foreign country.

I would suggest, Songhia/Aurinsula, that you choose a different location other than Afrosia, in the interests of continuity - our Asian/African nations which don't seem to fit so precisely into Afrosia have normally been located somewhere on Aurora Major instead. Think Afrosia as being sub-Sahara, and Aurora Major being a much more vast and diverse continent where we've had everything that doesn't quite seem to fit anywhere else.

In any case, I'm not certain it's such a wise idea to locate two of your nations in such close proximity to each other. Having them lead entirely separate existences would be much better, for RP purposes.

I will heed your advice, and request that my power-base be that sunflower-shaped peninsula on Afrosia Major, and hinterland. I am aware that Skorzenia had previously claimed it on their new-model map, but perhaps I can give you something in return to take it off your hands since it isn't yet official? (In fact, most of your claims for New Detroit seem like my kind of thing. Can we negotiate?)

EDIT:

After discussing things with Steelie at great length, we have come to the conclusion that Aurinsula can hold territories directly west of Skorzenia's updated borders, as well as that little sunflower peninsula as an exclave. (The Golden Isle itself is not present on the map, suggesting that it is too small and insignificant to bother making note of on a region-wide map; screw it). I will leave our cartographic authorities to decide how large the country should be, but it should border both Skorzenia and Yanitza.
Last edited by Aurinsula on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 am

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardkonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardkonia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

I have a question, may i re-apply again please?
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21
I'm actually an Ordoliberal.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=270920
Tsardom of Ardkonia factbook.

Songhia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Songhia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 am

Regnum Albion wrote:So, can I join Aurora, or are there any other parts of my application that need clarifying or just sorting out?

No dissent has been recorded thus far; let us simply get through the formality of an official quorom and then you're in.

Ardkonia wrote:I have a question, may i re-apply again please?

Have you fixed what got you rejected the first time?

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:49 am

Regnum Albion wrote:So, can I join Aurora, or are there any other parts of my application that need clarifying or just sorting out?

I would recommend informing the others from Serenia of your pending decision, so they can offer their input or make plans to move elsewhere in the meantime.

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 am

- Post Deleted -

Vassland
Secretary

Founded: Jul 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vassland » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi there, below you'll find my application ^^

Nation Name: The Theocracy of Vassland
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Clerical Theocratic Council
National Leader(s): His Holiness, Bishop of Vassland, Staphanus of Eregy

Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s):
Since the revolution, the nation has undergone far-reaching reforms brought about by a short period of terror known as the "Inquisition", carried out by the special force of Inquisitors led by the Council. Since then, anything seen as immoral has disappeared from the streets of Vassland leaving behind a "spotless" society guided by the Council.

Apart from these instances of immorality, the nation has a strong maritime, military and religious oriented culture dating back centuries.

Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s):
As a Theocracy, the only religion tolerated by the Council is Catholicism. Any exceptions are quickly crushed by the "Inquisitors".

Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be):
Temperate winters ans warm summer bless the theocracy. (Southern France-ish if possible, so "Mediterranean")

Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.):
Economics: The nations relies heavily on it's two largest economic sectors; primary industry (the extraction of resources and farming) and secondary industry (manufacturing), although tertiary industry is starting to bloom in the larger cities of the country with the emergence of large banks and investment companies.

Recent History: Revolution and Establishment of the Theocracy of the Vassland

The current state of Vassland draws it’s roots from the downfall of the last government, caused by the moral corrosion brought on by those who wished to see the end of the one true religion. The mounting unrest caused by the “reforms” imposed by the government of the time, and a string of natural disasters ignited in riots, and finally in a coup d’etat led by the conservative clergy within the country’s catholic community, and their relations in the nation’s military which quickly seized control and restored order to the nation after deposing the former government.

Once the public order was restored, the Theocracy reorganized the government, dismissing parliament and installing a theocratic council which would run the country based on religious morals. One of the first actions of the new government was to track down, arrest and depose of those responsible for causing the unrest in the first place. Of the hundreds of arrests made, many were of owners of nightclubs, those suspected of “moral” crimes, and religious leaders of the other major religious groups such as Islam, Protestantism and to a lesser extent the various eastern religions.

As the arrests reached their high point, a special unit was formed under the directive of the Council called the Inquisitors, whose job was to locate, track down and apprehend those wanted by the government. Unofficially, they became a highly efficient urban special warfare group tasked with eradicating opposition to the new government, and were given full reach over the country’s military and civil services. In effect, they became a separate military organization controlled only by the highest echelons of the Council, who operated in total secrecy from the police and military and were given total legal immunity.

The creation of this force led to a short period of terror for all those who opposed the government, which is referred to as “The Inquisition”. During the span of three weeks, over eighty-thousand members of the “opposition” were arrested and ‘deposed of’ according to government figures, although the true number is probably much higher in the range of three to five times that.

Since this time, the Council has reigned over Vassland with relative stability and peace.

Other: I just made the country, so I'll make it up as I go really. Major government characters will remain the same though, as well as several members of the military and so on. I'll also write up things one the military and population once I know how big the country is based on the map. :)

Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]:

Afta Village, Vassland

“Quick, hide!” the woman shouted to her children as the whining of jet engines filled their ears with a piercing pain. Grabbing the girl and boy by the back of their collar, she ran through the house guiding them to her bedroom. She let them go and ran over to her bed. “You need to take good care of your sister, do you understand me?!” she frantically told the boy as she pushed her bed aside, revealing a panel in the wall. The boy nodded as he grabbed the little girl’s hand. They were both crying. Pulling the panel out of the wall, the mother guided the children into the space behind the wall and kissed them both on the forehead. “You need to go to papa’s house. Follow this tunnel and it will lead to you to the riverside, do you understand me?” she told the boy, holding on to his shoulders. “Yes ma’ma” he replied. By now the little girl was crying even louder, and holding her arms out to her mother. The woman got on her knees and hugged the little girl. “Go with your big brother. You’re going to papa’s house now.” she told the little girl, trying to smile. The little girl sobbed, “Ma’ma, I’m scared!” The mother was crying too. “I know baby.” she replied. “Go now, I’ll be there soon.” She tried to hold back her tears as she pushed the children down the tunnel. As they went, she placed the panel back in it’s place and pushed the bed back too. Looking around the room, she took a seat on the edge of the bed and waited. From outside and down the hallway, she could hear the screaming and crying of women and children as they were rounded up. The men had already been taken days before by the inquisitors, so she had known that it would only be a matter of time before it was her turn. A tear rolled down her cheek as she grabbed a picture of her family and held it in her arms. She knew it would only be a matter of time now before they reached her.

There was a loud bang down the hallway of her apartment as the door was kicked down by the inquisitors. The sound of trampling boots seemed to slow time as they got closer. Finally the bedroom door opened and a soldier entered, clad from head to toe in white armor, and looked at her. Although she could not see through his visor, she knew he was looking at her. “Where are they?” he asked her, referring to the children. The woman stared at the soldier but said nothing. Another inquisitor came in, this time a woman, carrying her baton in one hand and a black sack in the other. “Where are the children?” the man asked a second time, without a trace of emotion in his voice. The woman said nothing. After a moment which seemed to last a lifetime, the man turned and walked away. “Bag her.” he told the second inquisitor, and she flicked out her baton. “Yes sir,” she replied and walked toward the woman. Beating her several times, she placed the sack over her head and tightened the strings around the woman’s neck. Beating her a few more times for good measure, she then dragged the woman out onto the street by her hair, then piled her into a truck with dozens of other families. After the building had been cleared, the inquisitors got back into their transports which flew off with a loud whine, and the trucks pulled away.

The woman didn’t know where she was going, but the taste of blood filled her mouth. She didn’t know what was more terrifying, the fact that she could feel her arm broken in two places, the sensation of suffocating under the sack over her head, or the taste of blood in her mouth. Either way, all she could think of was the tremendous amount of pain she was in. Suddenly, the truck stopped, and she felt herself being pushed out by the others in the back of the truck behind her. She felt herself go over the edge, and fall, but instead of hitting the ground with a thud, she felt herself fall on top of someone else with a loud crack, followed by a scream of pain. Afterwards, dozens more fell on top of her as well. She heard shouting telling them all to get up. “Stand up!” “Get up you filthy animals!” “Come on!” all rung out at her over and over again. She tried to get up, but there were people on top of her. She wasn’t sure if some people were dead or alive. The person she had fallen on was no longer screaming, instead only a gargling noise could be heard. She was terrified. When she finally got up, she was crowded against a wall together with dozens of other people. She could hear the sound ‘click-clack’ of a weapon, then a loud sound like the chirping of a thousand birds and a piercing pain in her stomach. She fell to her knees. She wanted to clutch her stomach, but her hands were fastened behind her back. She lay on the ground, writhing in pain amongst what she knew were the bodies of her neighbors, friends and family. The pain was even worse than before. She could hear the footsteps from before coming towards her. They stopped near her, and the sack was lifted from her head. The light was blinding, but the pain was still overwhelming. She looked around her, seeing the dead bodies of those she knew and screamed. Finally, she looked up at whoever had taken the sack from her head and saw it was the inquisitor from before. He removed his visor, and looked into her eyes. Just as she had felt before, she now saw that there was no emotion whatsoever in his face. He raised his side-arm and pointed it at her face.

There was a flash.

Then nothing.

OOC: I apologize for any mistakes. English is my second language, and it's 1:56 am here... You get the message ;)

Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information