NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #2

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Dtn wrote:There are turbofan-powered seaplanes in service. Turboprop too.

Fighters are Mike Sparks silly, though - literally. Bombers a little less so. Patrol aircraft actually make sense.

jet powered sea gavin. Win.

I am so drawing this.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 am

I'm working on getting my military set up, and as a first time detailed NS war-rper (I've mostly done medieval nation rp and other general regional-forum things where your gun's caliber doesn't matter and so on) and I was wondering if people could look over a couple pages on my factbook and tell me how much I need to revise, what I need to add, and so on:

The Theocracy of the Holy Twig is a terrible person. (note that I'm not in the WA and everything on that page is a state secret anyway)
Page on general infantry things
The most inept invader in Nationstates!

Economic issues: +5.3 left
Social issues: +2.63 libertarian
Foreign policy: +7.28 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +7.23 liberal
New Freedomstan wrote:What is a little purging and gulag between friends?
They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:52 am

First things first - multi-calibre isn't a great idea.
It's a civilian market thing that makes weapons look more tactilol. I use it in one of my export rifles, because ICly my weapons are intended to be adaptable to whatever your native calibre is without requiring you to switch. Because it's export.

Secondly, whilst multi-calibre between 7.62x39, 5.56x45, 5.45x39, 6.5x38, 6.8x43 (though I have no idea what 6.8 ASG is) is indeed possible, having multi-calibre between these and also 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R Russian, is not. It's also just pointless. Pick a cartridge from the two lists and stick with it. Personal recommendation, either 5.56x45mm (in M855A1 variant) and 7.62x51 NATO, or 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x39

Your soldiers and logistics officers will learn to love you this way.

The battle rifle rounds (7.62 NATO, 7.62R Russian) are significantly larger than the other rounds, and also significantly more powerful, and cannot be put inside the same weapon without significant modification to the point you may as well field a different weapon. A weapon firing 7.62x51 or 7.62x54 or similarly-sized rounds is no longer referred to as an assault rifle by the way, it is now a battle rifle.

I would recommend ditching stats for muzzle velocity and muzzle energy - they're relatively unimportant waffle with regards to the weapon system.

With your handgun, gas-operated handguns are very very rare. The vast majority of handguns are operated by either short recoil or in some cases, blowback.

Gas operated, as a phrase, is incredibly vague and covers a myriad of very different systems. Type into wiki 'gas-operated reloading' for a rundown on most of these systems.

With the machine gun, I'd advise two utterly separate variants, one in your smaller calibre and one in the battle rifle cartridge. Since your pic is of the M249, you can handwave and use the M249 in your smaller calibre, and use the Mk48 in the battle rifle cartridge (Mk48 is just the 5.56mm M249 modified to accept 7.62x51 - it was originally designed with this variant in mind, but was never actually produced in the 7.62mm variant [also known as Minimi 7.62] until recently, when demand for lightweight 7.62mm machine guns was renewed in Afghanistan).
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
It's a civilian market thing that makes weapons look more tactilol. I use it in one of my export rifles, because ICly my weapons are intended to be adaptable to whatever your native calibre is without requiring you to switch. Because it's export.

Secondly, whilst multi-calibre between 7.62x39, 5.56x45, 5.45x39, 6.5x38, 6.8x43 (though I have no idea what 6.8 ASG is) is indeed possible, having multi-calibre between these and also 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R Russian, is not. It's also just pointless. Pick a cartridge from the two lists and stick with it. Personal recommendation, either 5.56x45mm (in M855A1 variant) and 7.62x51 NATO, or 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x39

The battle rifle rounds (7.62 NATO, 7.62R Russian) are significantly larger than the other rounds, and also significantly more powerful, and cannot be put inside the same weapon without significant modification to the point you may as well field a different weapon. A weapon firing 7.62x51 or 7.62x54 or similarly-sized rounds is no longer referred to as an assault rifle by the way, it is now a battle rifle.

I would recommend ditching stats for muzzle velocity and muzzle energy - they're relatively unimportant waffle with regards to the weapon system.

With your handgun, gas-operated handguns are very very rare. The vast majority of handguns are operated by either short recoil or in some cases, blowback.

Gas operated, as a phrase, is incredibly vague and covers a myriad of very different systems. Type into wiki 'gas-operated reloading' for a rundown on most of these systems.

With the machine gun, I'd advise two utterly separate variants, one in your smaller calibre and one in the battle rifle cartridge. Since your pic is of the M249, you can handwave and use the M249 in your smaller calibre, and use the Mk48 in the battle rifle cartridge (Mk48 is just the 5.56mm M249 modified to accept 7.62x51 - it was originally designed with this variant in mind, but was never actually produced in the 7.62mm variant [also known as Minimi 7.62] until recently, when demand for lightweight 7.62mm machine guns was renewed in Afghanistan).

Thanks for the help, I'm getting on it as we speak :p

If anyone else has any suggestions (Eg gaps in the info, other impossible things I overlooked/skimmed vaguely over) I'd be thankful to hear them.
Last edited by The Holy Twig on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm

The Holy Twig wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:

If anyone else has any suggestions (Eg gaps in the info, other impossible things I overlooked/skimmed vaguely over) I'd be thankful to hear them.

Is there a reason why your pistol uses a .50 cal/12.7 mm round? Generally speaking, the hilarious kick from such rounds makes them impractical to aim with. The current military trend in handguns is for smaller but higher-velocity rounds, with an armor piercing shape, allowing them to be used against troops with light body armor in an emergency. A fat but relatively short bullet with a flatter head like most .50 pistol cartridges will be very poor in this regard.

While standardizing on one round for your SMG, SAW, and main rifle may sound attractive, this is a bad idea for the SMG. Submachine guns are designed to be lightweight, low-recoil, high rate-of-fire weapons for close-quarter combat, and indeed are basically defined by the fact that they used pistol cartridges, rather than rifle cartridges. Hence, a 7.62 NATO submachine gun is just not going to work, and functionally wouldn't even be much different from your main rifle at that point. Which as mentioned would be a battle rifle, rather than assault rifle, at that point.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
The Holy Twig wrote:

Is there a reason why your pistol uses a .50 cal/12.7 mm round?

Rawr:

Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
The Holy Twig wrote:

Is there a reason why your pistol uses a .50 cal/12.7 mm round? Generally speaking, the hilarious kick from such rounds makes them impractical to aim with. The current military trend in handguns is for smaller but higher-velocity rounds, with an armor piercing shape, allowing them to be used against troops with light body armor in an emergency. A fat but relatively short bullet with a flatter head like most .50 pistol cartridges will be very poor in this regard.

While standardizing on one round for your SMG, SAW, and main rifle may sound attractive, this is a bad idea for the SMG. Submachine guns are designed to be lightweight, low-recoil, high rate-of-fire weapons for close-quarter combat, and indeed are basically defined by the fact that they used pistol cartridges, rather than rifle cartridges. Hence, a 7.62 NATO submachine gun is just not going to work, and functionally wouldn't even be much different from your main rifle at that point. Which as mentioned would be a battle rifle, rather than assault rifle, at that point.

Do you have any suggestions for the SMG and Handgun? I've been reading up on different calibers and so forth, but the numbers and statistics have been giving me a hell of a headache and I feel as though I haven't learned quite as much as I'd like to have. :?

Edit: And, yeah, .50 cal handgun was a blunder. My excuse is that I was running on ~4 hours of sleep when I wrote some of the specifications for the weapons down.
Last edited by The Holy Twig on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 pm

.50AE is a bad round, don't use it - it's very difficult to control.
The 'Magnum' cartridges are intended for revolvers, and are also very powerful, so I'd stay away from those.

Cartridges heavier than 9mm NATO but packing more punch include 10mm Auto, .40S&W and .357 Sig
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:.50AE is a bad round, don't use it - it's very difficult to control.
The 'Magnum' cartridges are intended for revolvers, and are also very powerful, so I'd stay away from those.

Cartridges heavier than 9mm NATO but packing more punch include 10mm Auto, .40S&W and .357 Sig

.357 Sig sounds attractive. I'm gonna look that one up~
(And the others.)

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

The Holy Twig wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for the SMG and Handgun? I've been reading up on different calibers and so forth, but the numbers and statistics have been giving me a hell of a headache and I feel as though I haven't learned quite as much as I'd like to have. :?

Edit: And, yeah, .50 cal handgun was a blunder. My excuse is that I was running on ~4 hours of sleep when I wrote some of the specifications for the weapons down.

If you want armor piercing rounds like the modern PDW rounds, then 5.7x28 mm and 4.6x30 mm are your options. Between the two, 5.7x28 mm has generally been shown to be superior, but H&K will never admit it.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey guys, what would be a good radar to mount on a modern battleship? The battleship would have 700-km-capable railguns and cruise missile capability. I'm thinking about an AN/SPY-1 look-alike but that's set up for air search.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm

.357 Sig is based on .40S&W, which is based on 10mm Auto.
It's all rather confusing.

10mm Auto was intended to replace 9mm and .38 Special in FBI issue, deemed too powerful, so they created .40S&W, which is just 10mm Auto, with a shortened case. .357 Sig is .40S&W but necked down to 9mm. .357 Sig is supposedly comparable to .357 Magnum (or even .44 Magnum, not sure).
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Felix Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix Terra » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm

What would be a realistic amount of troops for a nation of about 7 million people? That is, if they would even have a military yet.
why are you looking at a post from 2012 go home you're drunk

East Apikai is my main nation nowadays

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Strykla wrote:Hey guys, what would be a good radar to mount on a modern battleship? The battleship would have 700-km-capable railguns and cruise missile capability. I'm thinking about an AN/SPY-1 look-alike but that's set up for air search.

It's going to ideally be some sort of AESA radar, but you're not going to be able to take a peek at your targets 700 km away without an external, high-altitude independent platform anyway, like an aircraft. Curvature of the Earth gets in the way, and beyond-the-horizon radar is going to cause a major drop in resolution. Hence, the ship should basically have a radar suite similar if not identical to a modern guided-missile destroyer, since ground-looking radar is going to need a separate aircraft to deploy anyway.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Can you have teh Frangible rounds for a 35mm Cannon? I Am thinking they would be good for marking targets and Close combat support so your not using HE aor AP Rounds.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Strykla wrote:Hey guys, what would be a good radar to mount on a modern battleship? The battleship would have 700-km-capable railguns and cruise missile capability. I'm thinking about an AN/SPY-1 look-alike but that's set up for air search.

Out of existing radar I would go with SAMPSON as your primary multi fucntion, or APAR if you want everything totally fixed.

Going next gen in development gives you the whole AN/SPY-3 system.

all these systems will get you out to your 400km horizon against aircraft.

onbaord gun fire control will be horizon limited to about 40-50km so your 700km guns will need off board sensors and spotting i.e. you need an aircraft. The same issue is already well known with mdoern anti shipping missiles which need an aircraft to provide a target location to make use of the missile's full range.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Fixed the ammunition to my liking (Thanks for the help, guys ;) ) Are there any other glaring issues in there? In particular I'd like feedback on the chemical weapons bit (linked it earlier under "Twig is a terrible person"), and any other possible advice would be great :P

Edit: And any other glaring errors on there.
Last edited by The Holy Twig on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:Can you have teh Frangible rounds for a 35mm Cannon? I Am thinking they would be good for marking targets and Close combat support so your not using HE aor AP Rounds.

You can, but it's a terrible idea not worth the effort to develop. Just use AP if you don't want collateral damage, since the time it takes to switch your ammunition feed is going to make the whole thing pointless. Modern guns can accept dual feeds of HE and AP, but adding more than that makes them much more complex, and takes up even more space with special-purpose rounds that you'll only use in a tiny handful of situations.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:Can you have teh Frangible rounds for a 35mm Cannon? I Am thinking they would be good for marking targets and Close combat support so your not using HE aor AP Rounds.

You can, but it's a terrible idea not worth the effort to develop. Just use AP if you don't want collateral damage, since the time it takes to switch your ammunition feed is going to make the whole thing pointless. Modern guns can accept dual feeds of HE and AP, but adding more than that makes them much more complex, and takes up even more space with special-purpose rounds that you'll only use in a tiny handful of situations.

Ok Noted. Combat uses BAD. But would they be cheaper for training of the gun?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 pm

already exists, look up FAPDS (frangivle amour Peircing discardign sabot).

IIRC its the standard ammo for the 35mm guns on the gepard SPAAG.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Crookfur wrote:

Really? Cool. I just thought it was a Pistol round used for steel targets
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

just use exisitng 35x228mm training ammo
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

I see. Thank you. Now onto the Guns.

What Kind of ammo could a 15x 110mm Round use?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

Really? Cool. I just thought it was a Pistol round used for steel targets

FAPDS is a specialist round mainly used in anti aircraft roles to combine the high muzzle velcotiy of sabot ammo with a fragmentary effect to hurt softish targets
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

I see. Thank you. Now onto the Guns.

What Kind of ammo could a 15x 110mm Round use?

AP, API, MK211 style SAPHEI and tracer versions of each.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information