NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Menelmacar
Retired Moderator

Founded: Dec 18, 2002
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Menelmacar » Wed May 30, 2012 4:47 am

Fair enough! Thank you.
"The elves will do what is right, not what is on paper." ~Sunset
"We can't go around supporting The Good Of All Things. People might mistake us for Menelmacar." ~Education Minister Lobon of Kn-Yan
"Do you realize you're trying to sell resources to Menelmafuckingcar? Their resource base is larger than Melkor's ego." ~Advisor Julius Razak, Foot-to-Ass Section, Scolopendra
"I started on NS at a time when elf genocides were daily occurrences from week old nations wanting to get ortilleried by Menelmacar." ~Resurgent Dream
"Nothing here but rich-ass elves. Just...running the world. And shopping." ~Officer Daryl Ward, LAPD

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sskiss » Wed May 30, 2012 8:07 am

The link that Rethan posted is still a reasonably good one as for as the placement of the quadrants are concerned. My only problem with the map (and those that are similar) was the "crowding" that inevitably occurred when individual star-systems where named and placed on the map. The original interactive map created by The Mindset, had solved this problem to a large degree.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Wed May 30, 2012 8:36 am

How's the updated interactive map project coming, by the way? Anyone know?
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 am

Feazanthia wrote:How's the updated interactive map project coming, by the way? Anyone know?

From the thread, it seems that it is struggling for funding as well as to optimise the script, since the current one is a resource hoarder.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Independent Colonial Union
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Colonial Union » Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 am

Tuthina wrote:
Feazanthia wrote:How's the updated interactive map project coming, by the way? Anyone know?

From the thread, it seems that it is struggling for funding as well as to optimise the script, since the current one is a resource hoarder.

Pretty much this... mindset said he was going to look at the source and see if he could optimize it. Until I hear from him one way or another I'm really loathe to start looking for funding since 1) It'd be super expensive for highCPU hosting, and 2) I'm not really comfortable with holding on to peoples cash to fund something like this. The ideal option would be if mindset optimized the map enough where we could host it on a free (or even cheap, like $4/mo) host. But until I hear back from him... :/
The Independent Colonial Union
“Human history can be viewed as a slowly dawning awareness that we are members of a larger group.” -Carl Sagan

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004

Postby Sskiss » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 am

Neo-Mekata, Balrogga, I don't know what else to say, except thanks.

However, regarding the concept of 'cosmic horrors' it would be interesting (for myself anyway) to lay out the criteria of such.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

The Mindset Reborn
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mindset Reborn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Don't go crazy trying to host the old map, it's probably not worth it.

My workload is absolutely insane at the moment so I've not had a chance to look at it. I suspect a near complete rewrite would be necessary to significantly improve server load.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 pm

*sigh* Fine. I'll learn photoshop and try and resurrect the Galactic Cartographers static map.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Feazanthia wrote:*sigh* Fine. I'll learn photoshop and try and resurrect the Galactic Cartographers static map.

I know Photoshop (or rather GIMP) to a certain degree. Should, hopefully, be enough to give you a hand if so desired. The more people we have working on it the shorter the update gaps. And the less likely it'll die again. <.<
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Who was previously handling it? Since I would assume they'd have had a file in their chosen image editor with the dots and text in one or more separate layers. Without that file removing old claims would be a bit of a nuisance.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Colonial Union » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 pm

The Mindset Reborn wrote:Don't go crazy trying to host the old map, it's probably not worth it.

My workload is absolutely insane at the moment so I've not had a chance to look at it. I suspect a near complete rewrite would be necessary to significantly improve server load.

Did anything at all remain of the v2.0? It could be at least a place to start if anyone has the bits and pieces still.
“Human history can be viewed as a slowly dawning awareness that we are members of a larger group.” -Carl Sagan

The Mindset Reborn
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mindset Reborn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Independent Colonial Union wrote:
The Mindset Reborn wrote:Don't go crazy trying to host the old map, it's probably not worth it.

Did anything at all remain of the v2.0? It could be at least a place to start if anyone has the bits and pieces still.

Nothing particularly salvagable. It used a templating engine that is no longer maintained and no longer works on modern PHP installations.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of me working on a new interactive map, but I can't give any timescale at the moment. It'll depend on my level of interest and my workload. If I find a way of implementing something quickly and efficiently I'll seriously consider it.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Colonial Union » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Would there be a way to harness a google maps style API for the main drawing setup? I have no idea how complicated that is, I'm just looking for quick ideas that might cut out a bunch of work :/

On topic, what kind of medical technology do people use? I'm thinking the simplest would be something like self-adhering bandages, hypojet injections, and spray-on skin for battlefield wounds. Obviously off-field facilities would be miles better.
Last edited by Independent Colonial Union on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mindset Reborn
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mindset Reborn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 pm

When I made the map, I investigated that, and the google maps API was in its infancy and largely reverse engineered and not officially supported. So, maybe. I dunno. The other problem I had with it is that it uses a fuckload of bandwidth if you're serving up images.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 am

Independent Colonial Union wrote:On topic, what kind of medical technology do people use? I'm thinking the simplest would be something like self-adhering bandages, hypojet injections, and spray-on skin for battlefield wounds. Obviously off-field facilities would be miles better.
It's an area I haven't thought much about, since I'm no biologist. I'll rule out nanobots, I'm just not a fan of them OOCly. We probably have some very sophisticated diagnostic scanners and tests, then most things will be treated by chemical drugs or by surgery.

Injuries and poisonings in the field can of course often be healed by Pokemon abilities, which make a very good "quick fix", but they don't give as good long-term results as proper medical attention.

Having to divide our medical research efforts over several hundred species has resulted in standards of care that aren't as good as states with similar general technological advancement but only one or two sentient species.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:35 am

SquareDisc City wrote:Injuries and poisonings in the field can of course often be healed by Pokemon abilities, which make a very good "quick fix", but they don't give as good long-term results as proper medical attention.

ಠ_ಠ

More helpful...

Given the state of cybernetics in the military, field triage is more engineering than medicine. Injured savaseeda can and have simply torn off damaged limbs in combat and had them replaced from spares. The only biological part of them is the head, and any serious injury to that is likely to be beyond the care of field medicine.

Civilian medicine is more conventional. Implants that interface with the nervous system from a young age can provide invaluable diagnostic tools to medical practitioners, and a yearly mapping of every patient's brain (for implant as well as medical purposes) helps doctors identify and prevent neurological problems before symptoms begin. Lacerations and abrasions can be treated with over-the-counter spray-on synthetic skin that acts as a catalyst for accelerated natural skin growth, while fractures and breaks can be repaired at-home with minor surgical robots and artificial marrow injections. Internal medicine is completely turned over to medical nanites; while they can't do such things as repairing wounds or altering features before one's eyes (such things are the work of Science Fiction, after all), medical nanites have shown to be 99.99% effective at eliminating harmful pathogens and chemicals from the patient's body. A patient will receive injections shortly after birth, and with regular injections the nano-immune system completely suppresses the natural immune system and takes over by around age 5. They can quickly identify and break down harmful compounds and life-forms, and have even been shown to be effective against many known parasites. All of these advancements are relatively simple and inexpensive technologies in the modern Kiith Federation.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Colonial Union » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am

Feazanthia wrote: A patient will receive injections shortly after birth, and with regular injections the nano-immune system completely suppresses the natural immune system and takes over by around age 5.

What happens if your citizens are exposed to some kind of EMP that destroys the nanobots? Wouldn't they then have zero immune system?

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

I think most things in the future will be EMP resistant (to an extent)
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Colonial Union » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 pm

To an extent is the key, I guess. I can't possibly believe that in the future while things will be EMP resistant compared to today's tech, nobody would have figured out a way to make a warhead that puts out 10, 50, 1000 times the electromagnetic radiation that current weapons do, and overwhelm any EMP hardening that might exist.

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Independent Colonial Union wrote:To an extent is the key, I guess. I can't possibly believe that in the future while things will be EMP resistant compared to today's tech, nobody would have figured out a way to make a warhead that puts out 10, 50, 1000 times the electromagnetic radiation that current weapons do, and overwhelm any EMP hardening that might exist.

You are overlooking one thing, the "Code of Bro" where even if something makes logical sense, you cant always use it. (hence why I don't like it)

EG: "Im just going to jump my fleet into close proximity of his planet (<10km), drop a metric arse tonne of anti matter and then warp out before his defences have time to react"
Its a good tactic, but bad for story telling. Your "EMP them so they have no immune system and all die" is similar.
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Well, except that EMPing the artificial immune system won't result in instant death, merely susceptibility to diseases (including bioweapons). They aren't an instant death either.

Also, most things have drawbacks as well as advantages. To claim all the advantages and none of the drawbacks is, I feel, not a good thing.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Frankly if something's putting out that much EMP at relatively close range, people are going to be worried about the human nervous system overloading more than their nanobots getting knocked out.

Of course, the very idea of vulnerability to EMP relies on them utilizing conventional integrated circuitry. I personally see no reason why a cellular-scale robot would be precluded form utilizing a cellular-style metabolism to generate energy.

Then again, all this is fluff; and quite frankly the idea of someone detonating an EMP for the sole purpose of disabling an immune system (since, as we've been over, nearly any macro-scale piece of technology can be rendered effectively immune) is ludicrous.

SquareDisc City wrote:Also, most things have drawbacks as well as advantages. To claim all the advantages and none of the drawbacks is, I feel, not a good thing.

That is true purely as a gameplay mechanic. My Goretex jacket has no disadvantages against the bear skins my ancestors used when huddling in caves, other than the fact that it is more expensive to produce (and with the price of fur these days, that's debatable).

A synthetic immune system is more expensive to produce than a natural immune system (since the latter is, of course, free for most people). There's your disadvantage. Jesus.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm

If a combat cyborg's onboard repair systems (which span the full range from nanoscale to macroscale) and hypermodular reconfigurable architecture cannot fix it, you have been mission-killed and will require a new body from a dedicated nanoforge. Or you're just dead, and there's no fixing that.

Non-military people tend to have hybrid systems which blur the line between the mechanical and biological. This may range from having relatively simple nanobots and minor genetic mods to having entire emergency genetic systems which activate when they detect bodily harm, spawning repair "agents" (nanobots? virii? bacteria?) and coordinating bodily sytems to preserve and repair the body. In cases of extreme trauma such systems are generally aimed more at keeping you alive than in repairing damage, since external medical will be necessary for full healing. It's worth noting that the most capable systems are able to keep you going after losing large fractions of your bodily mass and can even reattach severed limbs, should someone be nice enough to press them up against the appropriate stump.

Independent Colonial Union wrote:
Feazanthia wrote: A patient will receive injections shortly after birth, and with regular injections the nano-immune system completely suppresses the natural immune system and takes over by around age 5.

What happens if your citizens are exposed to some kind of EMP that destroys the nanobots? Wouldn't they then have zero immune system?

light-based architecture lol

Alternatively, give your nanobot a mechanical computer. EMP that.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Space Russia's hats are superior to all other hats. This is a confirmed, scientific, fact. They're not even that expensive to produce.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Space Russia's hats are superior to all other hats. This is a confirmed, scientific, fact. They're not even that expensive to produce.

And since this is a fact all Space Russian's wear suitably impressive hats, as there are no drawbacks when said hats are compared to the naked scalp. *nods sagely*
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives