NATION

PASSWORD

Ways to save money/things not to scrimp on

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Ways to save money/things not to scrimp on

Postby Smunkeeville » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:05 pm

What are some ways you save money? What are some things you don't think are worth the effort?

Do you always try to save money or only in rough economic times?
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Ways to save money/things not to scrimp on

Postby NERVUN » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Mainly cutting out the snacks (Which I should do anyway) and trying to, when going somewhere, not buy food at the rest areas but pack along the bento and other snacks.

The best way for me (which sadly won't work for anyone else but one other person on this board) is that I stop atempting to eat my American style meals on the weekends and cook more Japanese.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I think I do it accidentally. I just buy cheap stuff from shops and I don't have a particularly big appetite/eat much anyway. I'd be doing well to spend more than a few quid a day on food, so I have a pretty cheap existence that way.

Then any money I have left I spend on cigarettes and alcohol. Not the song, though; buying it over and over again would be pointless.

If I wanted to save money I probably wouldn't have too much trouble doing so.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

JarVik
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby JarVik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Smunkeeville wrote:What are some ways you save money? What are some things you don't think are worth the effort?

I've spent along time as a student so I'm very good at going cheap.

Don't buy food out, pack a lunch. Same goes for coffee, I need it, but theres a coffee pot in my lab to make my fix for about 10 cents a cup. Pre-pared meals cost way more than if you did it yourself in most cases so learn to cook from scratch. Namebrand is for suckers in most cases. Side note, I once worked in a Dempsters bread factory, we made ~30 other 'brands' of bread to, most were the same white bread recipe.

I also buy a fair amount of my clothes used from Value village and I bike to work.

Entertainment wise I download anime and I make my own booze. Most of my entertainment budget goes to cheese and sushi for anime night.

Most of all draw up a budget of what you do spend and see if thats ok with your goals. If not work on one my suggestions and give yourself an allowance; ie. what cash you can spend per week no strings attached. This is my entertainment/fun money budget.
Last edited by JarVik on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like pancakes!
In search of SpellCheck
Swims with Leaches!

Anti-Social Darwinism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Social Darwinism » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm

For the first time in my life, I'm in a position where I don't have to be as careful of my money as before - and I'm retired. The funny thing is, the old habits won't go away.

Today, for instance, I saw chicken tenders on sale two packs for the price of one, so I bought two, a chuck roast was marked down from $6.00 to $3.00 (because it was a day old). So I have a freezer full of meat that I've bought in large quantities when the price was low and then repackaged in single serving sizes.

I always stock up on sale items, even produce. Then I make soups and stews out of things. If I buy frozen dinners, it's when they're marked down. I buy all nonperishable items in bulk (toilet paper, cleaning supplies) and when they're on sale.

I watch the ads. I love fresh orange juice, for example, so when Sunflower Market has Valencias on sale for $.50/lb, I'll buy 10 pounds - oranges keep pretty well if you refrigerate them (don't choose really soft ones as they'll mold faster).

I shop at Wal-Mart, Big Lots, Dollar Tree. I plan my shopping along a specified route so I use less gas. I'm only one person, so I wash my dishes by hand most days (I save on dishwasher soap and electricity). I use the library when I'm curious about a writer so I don't end up wasting money on books I won't read. I always look for freebies - like the Borders free drink Fridays - buy a pound of coffee beans get a free medium beverage.

I've decided that CostCo and Sam's club are jokes - unless you have an extremely large group for whom you're shopping. I really don't save enough money shopping at those places to make up for the amount spent on the membership.

I've found a vet who gives a senior's discount and who has discounted pre-paid programs for animals over a certain age.

But, the most telling savings come from my daughter, she no longer lives with me. Two cannot live as cheaply as one. And the fact that she's in the Air Force gives me an added bonus - If I want something specific, say a bread machine or a crock pot - she can get it at the base exchange for 10-20% off what I pay at Wal-Mart and, when I offer to pay her back, she says it's my (Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day) gift.

But, the biggest savings come from 1. Not buying on credit (except for big things like houses and cars). 2. Paying all your bills on time and paying off any credit balances before they're due. 3. Paying cash. 4. Making a budget and sticking to it - if you budget $600.00 a month for food for a family of 4 (it can be done) - don't go over - if you run out of something before the month ends, do without. Then plan your purchases (or your usage) for the next month based on the previous month. But, Smunkee, you know this already.

I try to put at least $200-$250 a month in savings.

I do not scrimp on - wine (either buy good wine or don't buy it at all), beds (you're spending 8 hours a day in it, buy the best you can afford), cat food (they're old and need the best nutrition I can get them, besides, it costs less than my food), coffee (I drink one cup a day, I'll use the best available), car maintenance (a $30 dollar oil change now prevents replacing a whole engine later and driving on shoddy tires anywhere is just stupid).
Last edited by Anti-Social Darwinism on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSG's resident curmudgeon.

Add 6,771 posts from the old NSG.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Smunkeeville wrote:What are some ways you save money?

Eat more chickpeas and lentils and less meat from time to time.
What are some things you don't think are worth the effort?

Vintage champagne.

Dunno, it just generally happens.
End the Modigarchy now.

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 pm

I save money by driving less, buying food on sale, buying slightly less food each time, buying exactly what I need and nothing more

Things not to scrimp on: toilet paper. As my dad said, there's nothing worse than a sore butthole.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm

-Learn to like drinking water. Especially at restaurants, where drinking anything else tends to be expensive. Not being dehydrated is a plus.

-Walk/bike everywhere you can. Driving is expensive. As an added benefit, you'll be in better health.

-Less prepared foods are usually less expensive at the grocery store. Notable exception in my area: Mozzarella sticks, when on sale, cost substantially less than plain bulk mozzarella cheese at the grocery store - enough less that you get more cheese that way. :blink:

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm

I bought 4 new york strip steaks and cooked them on my own rather than going to a restaurant. Cost: $10
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 pm

not using credit cards nor owning an automobile nor subscribing to cable television.
pretty much the only things i spend on that aren't survival o and m,
are things i enjoy creating and exploring with.
only things it makes sense to me to spend on besides food, shelter, and utilities.
clothing only to avoid offending anyone with nakedness, not to try and impress anyone.
for that matter shelter only because the law all but forbids homelessness and at the same time living in such shelter as i otherwise could and would construct from found, discarded and natural objects.
even food could be hunted, grown, and gathered much more readily were it not for private ownership of the land.
(naturally i do my own cooking and have no monetarily expensive addictions. i have one or two hobbies i save as much as i can on everything else to spend on. that's about it.)
Last edited by Cameroi on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Brake repair.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 pm

I don't really scrimp or save. I work hard, earn my pay and spend it on whatever I want. It is only shear good fortune that what I want is a place to live, food, clothing etc. Of course it is also good fortune that I am not much of a consumerist, so my paychecks go a little farther than most, and I don't have the "keep up with the Jones" envy problem. I guess you could say I end up saving by default.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pure Metal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:56 am

food is one of the things i don't cut back on that much. i love eating out, going to restaurants and getting takeaways. i'm currently sacrificing other things in order to continue to do that (such as holding off on replacing broken Xbox 360, not getting DVDs, cancelling accounts with things, no booze, no new gadgets or other large expenses that i usually do, etc)
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:01 am

I am a firm believer in saving/investing 10% of what you earn before sorting out other expenses regardless of what I am earning. The Richest Man in Babylon is a damn fine book.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:03 am

SOOOUUUP!
It's pretty cheap to make (i prefer lentil soup even if it does look like vomit it tastes really nice), and it's got lots of things your body needs...avoid rice because that's expensive, potatoes aren't too bad price wise...never go out drinking to pubs drink in with mates far cheaper (unless they say they'l pay for your drinks)....
but what you really need is the mindset of the cheapskate, knock off nigel and ratlike ability to scavenge...and it's quite nice to eat pretty cheap food for a while, then get a nice treat of going out for a meal once in a while (say once a month if you must?).

That and slow cookers are your friend make stew/casserole/soup/mince or whatever.
And if you can nab the free sugar and such from coffee/restraunts, if there's food going and it's not nailed down nab it, if it is nailed down maybe you shouldn't eat it anyway.

Remember there is more to the scrounger than meets the eye, for starters if you're looking at their eyes they've probably already pocketed your wallet, car keys and any spare change lying around...
(although i personally draw the line at stealing from strangers cos if they find out you could be in deep cacky.)

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 am

I learn my saving habits from my mom: if its' not a sale, don't buy it, always look for coupons, buy generics, use coupons, compare compare compare, always look through the papers for a deal. I shop at Wal-Mart, ALDIs, Marc's and Save-A-Lot.

Not to scrimp on: When buying replacements for important items.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:49 am

Pack a lunch - this has saved me a lot in the past few months and made me more healthy. If sandwiches don't appeal (they really don't for me as I get on poorly with lots of wheat), cold meat and salads I've always found to be a great way forward. Even if you already eat salads for lunch, making your own is going to be much cheaper than buying it.

Not spending lots of money on books/cds/dvds. Set aside a certain amount each month which you can afford for your book/dvd/music buying and stick to it. I'm not going to say avoid buying them altogether, because I know I couldn't go without regular books, but make sure you stick to a budget. Also don't necessarily buy them new - second hand book shops, especially charity ones (Oxfam springs to mind) are a great source of literature. And you will often find books you wouldn't otherwise buy - bonus!

Not to scrimp on - quality of food. I try and get all my meat from our local butchers and I get fruit and veg from the local greengrocers. The quality of food is significantly better than what I get in the supermarket and the price isn['t that much more. On the other hand people often use a lot more meat in food than needed, try using less meat and more veg when cooking - it's cheaper and healthier and tastes just as good (if not better). Also avoid pre-made meals for similar reasons - also cooking is fun :D
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 am

Everyone who's not on board of a Fortune 500 company doesn't deserve to get their children educated. *nods*
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 am

Never scrimp on shoes that you will wear daily, or a good winter coat. You'll be miserable and have to replace them far too often.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 am

The best way to save money I guess is to give up on modern luxuries we take for granted and live off of bare essentials. No more internet, television, or phone service. (get a TracFone© if you need to be contacted every now and then) Give up all luxuries and wants and pay for only what you need such as food, gas, and bills. Become a miser.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:09 am

Get books that you can reread; if it's a murder mystery than knowing the plot ruins it, but if it's a fantasy book then even knowing the ending doesn't really tarnish it.

Get video games with lots of replay value. if I spend 200 hours on Disgaea while you spend 20 each on ten games, then even if your games were half-off you're still paying five times as much for 200 hours of entertainment.

Drink water, lots of water; it's cheap, and many places have free water.

Stick with tap water. Yes, I'm seen drinking from water bottle a lot, but for every bottle I buy there's a good 500+ refills from the kitchen sink.

Don't get credit cards if you can. If you have to, then never ever ever keep a balance on them.

Learn to enjoy pizzas. A pizza from a *good* local pizza place can easily be <$10 yet as tasty as a trip to a fancy-shmancy five-star restaurant costing ten times as much.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:14 am

Don't buy lottery tickets.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:29 am

Eat liver it is incredibly good value.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

JarVik
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby JarVik » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:26 am

Katganistan wrote:Never scrimp on shoes that you will wear daily, or a good winter coat. You'll be miserable and have to replace them far too often.

I would add don't scrimp on a good mattress either, bad sleep and aching muscles aren't worth it.
I like pancakes!
In search of SpellCheck
Swims with Leaches!

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 am

I spent a year dead for tax purposes.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General