NATION

PASSWORD

Students forced to recite Pledge of Allegiance, VA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kurdazistan
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurdazistan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 pm

:eyebrow: I am from VIRGINIA.

We were NEVER EVER EVER BLOODY FORCED to recite anything you liars.

Sometimes I had books to read or was tired and I stayed down, it was allowed.

If you are complaining for your fellow plants and spies, well I thank you for making us aware of who to watch out for. :bow:
"My father was a JHU Mathematican Master. My mother was an S Librarian-Languages understudy." Me

Allied Governments
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Governments » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:19 pm

I find it pathetic that you're whining about something so trivial.

But hey, that's NSG for you.
Last edited by Allied Governments on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[SHOCKING] Woman dragged by coffee cup into the MANDRILL MAZE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdllAAHq-WA

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Kurdazistan wrote::eyebrow: I am from VIRGINIA.

If you are complaining for your fellow plants and spies, well I thank you for making us aware of who to watch out for. :bow:

Keep in mind that Viriginia is a large state, and we have many school districts. Also, that every school may try things differently.

A school in Fairfax County, for example, may be slightly more lenient than one in say Richmond.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

You say that you were, in the past, not required to recite the Pledge. The law may have been changed since you attended school. If not, you may just have had teachers who did not care enough about the issue.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Apparently, your past experience and the OP's present experience are different.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
Wait wait wait....WHAT?!!?!?

What did you find unclear?

People aren't dumb for not wanting their rights violated....This is madness! :rofl:
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Hitchensland
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:25 pm

There's a rule in my school that says "students may not wear head coverings, or hats of any kind at any time during the school day, unless it is for religious observance." So I'm wondering why someone doesn't just go make up their own religion and say that it requires them to wear a baseball cap.
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Dude, that says you can remain sitting if you want, so throw that out if they try to do anything to you. I don't think you SHOULD, but you have the right to remain seated while the pledge of allegiance is being recited. SO isn't that kind've completely oxymoronizing this whole argument?
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:So move. Why are you here if you hate the country?

I'm gonna address this one in particular, but this is a general statement to all those who say "if you don't like it get out."

He's 17. A teenager. There is almost no chance he has the resources, logistics, or even legal capability to leave the country on his own. I'm not even 100% certain you can obtain a passport or immigration forms to any western nation without the consent of your parent/guardian.

I'm 23 and I certainly don't have the resources or logistics in place for immigration. Even if he wanted to, the OP does not have the capability.

So please, PLEASE stop with this argument. It's so short-sighted it's pathetic.

Furthermore, if dissent were a detriment to society the democratic model would never have taken flight. Dissent is a necessity to a healthy, free society. The drive to peacefully change the nation is a cornerstone of American thinking. Peaceful disobediance was the modus operandi of some of the United States' biggest cultural and political heroes.

So while you're entitled to your view of "Don't like it get out", please keep what I have said in mind.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Vesintor wrote:I disagree with the wording in the pledge of allegiance (one nation, under god); I also refuse to pledge my allegiance to the United States government. I find the laws and actions of this country appalling and heinous (particularly prohibition). My parents have refused to sign an exemption because they don't agree with my views.
Agree with you on all points above. When I lived in VA, I just stood there, to the dismay of my teachers. I assume most of the rest of the south has similar laws, as I currently live in Florida. Another wording I disagree with is Indivisible. The nation has been and is divided. Does the American Civil War mean nothing? Politics divides our nation as well, to some extent. They're all conservative capitalists in the end. Liberty and Justice for all are other wordings I don't agree with, especially as a victim of unjust treatment.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Avalic
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Avalic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Hitchensland wrote:There's a rule in my school that says "students may not wear head coverings, or hats of any kind at any time during the school day, unless it is for religious observance." So I'm wondering why someone doesn't just go make up their own religion and say that it requires them to wear a baseball cap.

I believe the religion needs to be recognized as a religion by the United States government.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Hitchensland wrote:There's a rule in my school that says "students may not wear head coverings, or hats of any kind at any time during the school day, unless it is for religious observance." So I'm wondering why someone doesn't just go make up their own religion and say that it requires them to wear a baseball cap.

Whatever school administrations may be, they aren't that stupid.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Koffee
Civil Servant

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Koffee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 pm

The Canadian Pacific wrote:
Supreme Marshal Petan wrote:
Then, get the fuck out.

This is a valid, irrefutable argument that has not been brought up in threads prior to this.

I've often found this kind of jingoism creepy in a 1984 kind of way. Does anyone know of any other countries that have daily pledges of allegiance demanded of their citizens? Are any of them democracies?

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Vesintor wrote:In the state of Virginia, students are required to stand and say the pledge unless they have an exemption from their parents. I am 17 and I not only disagree with the wording in the pledge of allegiance (one nation, under god); I also refuse to pledge my allegiance to the United States government. I find the laws and actions of this country appalling and heinous (particularly prohibition). My parents have refused to sign an exemption because they don't agree with my views.

I will not just stand up, I have dignity and a right to practice civil disobedience. I don't have any respect for the flag or this country, and I won't stand up for it. I suggest students in a similar predicament to sit down, don't give in just because people tell you to. Now I may be facing some sort of disciplinary action from the school for refusing to recite a pledge; it's the land of the free and home of the brave I suppose.

Here's an excerpt from the Virginia Senate Bill 1331:
Pledge of Allegiance. Requires (i) all students to be required to learn the Pledge of Allegiance and to demonstrate such knowledge and (ii) each school board to require the daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in each classroom of the school division and to ensure that an American flag is in place in each classroom. Each school board must determine the appropriate time during the school day for the recitation of the Pledge. During the Pledge of Allegiance, students must either stand and recite the Pledge while facing the flag with their right hands over their hearts or in an appropriate salute if in uniform; however, no student can be compelled to recite the Pledge if he, his parent or legal guardian objects on religious, philosophical, or other grounds. Students who are thus exempt from reciting the Pledge must remain quietly standing or sitting at their desks while others recite the Pledge and must not make any display that disrupts or distracts others who are reciting the Pledge. School boards must provide appropriate accommodations for students who are unable to comply with these procedures due to disability. School board codes of conduct shall apply to disruptive behavior during the recitation of the Pledge in the same manner as provided for other circumstances of similar behavior. The Office of the Attorney General must intervene on behalf of local school boards and must provide legal defense of these provisions.

Here's a link to the full text.

I do apologize for the verbose nature of this post, but I felt that this community was the right place to share my plight.

I live in Virginia. At my school, the way it is interpreted is "fine, you don't HAVE to recite it, but you MUST stand up". I have a friend who is Russian who does not recite the PofA. He says he doesn't mind standing up. "I get a stretch", he says. :rofl:
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Allied Governments
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Governments » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Feazanthia wrote:
Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:So move. Why are you here if you hate the country?

I'm gonna address this one in particular, but this is a general statement to all those who say "if you don't like it get out."

He's 17. A teenager. There is almost no chance he has the resources, logistics, or even legal capability to leave the country on his own. I'm not even 100% certain you can obtain a passport or immigration forms to any western nation without the consent of your parent/guardian.

I'm 23 and I certainly don't have the resources or logistics in place for immigration. Even if he wanted to, the OP does not have the capability.

So please, PLEASE stop with this argument. It's so short-sighted it's pathetic.

Furthermore, if dissent were a detriment to society the democratic model would never have taken flight. Dissent is a necessity to a healthy, free society. The drive to peacefully change the nation is a cornerstone of American thinking. Peaceful disobediance was the modus operandi of some of the United States' biggest cultural and political heroes.

So while you're entitled to your view of "Don't like it get out", please keep what I have said in mind.

He's probably an angst ridden teenager who believes he's far more mature then others his age and has the world "figured out better then them." I think him hoping to aid the democratic model was far from his mind when he wrote this rant.
[SHOCKING] Woman dragged by coffee cup into the MANDRILL MAZE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdllAAHq-WA

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Koffee wrote:
The Canadian Pacific wrote:This is a valid, irrefutable argument that has not been brought up in threads prior to this.

I've often found this kind of jingoism creepy in a 1984 kind of way. Does anyone know of any other countries that have daily pledges of allegiance demanded of their citizens? Are any of them democracies?

USA is speshul. :lol:
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Hitchensland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:32 pm

But ultimately who has the right to say which religions are acceptable and which are not? If the school board were to force me to remove my hat even after me claiming that it was for my religion, they would be violating their own rule, which would be violating the equal protection clause. Ultimately, they have three options. They can keep the rule, and allow everyone to make up their own religious excuses so they can use the loophole to wear hats anyway. They can ban all hats for everyone and piss off the Muslims, which is the only reason they even implemented the stupid rule in the first place. Or they can eliminate the rule entirely.

-caotic chaos-
Civilian

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby -caotic chaos- » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Vesintor wrote:In the state of Virginia, students are required to stand and say the pledge unless they have an exemption from their parents. I am 17 and I not only disagree with the wording in the pledge of allegiance (one nation, under god); I also refuse to pledge my allegiance to the United States government. I find the laws and actions of this country appalling and heinous (particularly prohibition). My parents have refused to sign an exemption because they don't agree with my views.

I will not just stand up, I have dignity and a right to practice civil disobedience. I don't have any respect for the flag or this country, and I won't stand up for it. I suggest students in a similar predicament to sit down, don't give in just because people tell you to. Now I may be facing some sort of disciplinary action from the school for refusing to recite a pledge; it's the land of the free and home of the brave I suppose.

Here's an excerpt from the Virginia Senate Bill 1331:
Pledge of Allegiance. Requires (i) all students to be required to learn the Pledge of Allegiance and to demonstrate such knowledge and (ii) each school board to require the daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in each classroom of the school division and to ensure that an American flag is in place in each classroom. Each school board must determine the appropriate time during the school day for the recitation of the Pledge. During the Pledge of Allegiance, students must either stand and recite the Pledge while facing the flag with their right hands over their hearts or in an appropriate salute if in uniform; however, no student can be compelled to recite the Pledge if he, his parent or legal guardian objects on religious, philosophical, or other grounds. Students who are thus exempt from reciting the Pledge must remain quietly standing or sitting at their desks while others recite the Pledge and must not make any display that disrupts or distracts others who are reciting the Pledge. School boards must provide appropriate accommodations for students who are unable to comply with these procedures due to disability. School board codes of conduct shall apply to disruptive behavior during the recitation of the Pledge in the same manner as provided for other circumstances of similar behavior. The Office of the Attorney General must intervene on behalf of local school boards and must provide legal defense of these provisions.

Here's a link to the full text.

I do apologize for the verbose nature of this post, but I felt that this community was the right place to share my plight.

are you neo-confederate? in what ways? slavery-rascism or political ideas?

Hitchensland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:33 pm

It's not about being stupid, it's about the loophole. The school doesn't have the right to define which religions are acceptable and which are not if it's going to maintain that rule.

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Hitchensland wrote:It's not about being stupid, it's about the loophole. The school doesn't have the right to define which religions are acceptable and which are not if it's going to maintain that rule.

The school doesn't have the right to define anything in its own context.

Its a place of learning, not redefining.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Allied Governments wrote:He's probably an angst ridden teenager who believes he's far more mature then others his age and has the world "figured out better then them." I think him hoping to aid the democratic model was far from his mind when he wrote this rant.

I fail to see how this has any bearing on anything I've said. I was an angst-ridden teenager who felt I was more mature than others my age when I refused to say the pledge and, looking back, I'm rather proud of myself for standing up for my rights.

Also, bam stereotypes.

Rostovon
Envoy

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rostovon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

I definitely respect your right of civil disobedience and agree your dislike of the U.S. government and it's laws but do you really have to hate the flag and America itself? Those things are ideas, they are like an ideal that we as Americans should strive for. I know that the United States has never fully embodied those ideals and probably never will, but we should at least try to, rather than disowning the country.
This is a signature

Hitchensland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
Hitchensland wrote:It's not about being stupid, it's about the loophole. The school doesn't have the right to define which religions are acceptable and which are not if it's going to maintain that rule.

The school doesn't have the right to define anything in its own context.

Its a place of learning, not redefining.

Precisely. Therefore it shouldn't have the rule at all. Either everyone can wear hats, or nobody can.

Revoltaire
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revoltaire » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virgi ... ._Barnette

Whatever that law is, it is clearly unconstitutional. The Supreme Court ruled in 1943 that requiring students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools was a violation of the 1th amendment and freedom of speech. Bring a copy of that ruling to the next school board meeting, speak up and see what happens.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.36
"If you get confused, listen to the music play"
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - Put this in your signature if you agree.
"Revoltaire is a smart guy, and all you vulgar libertarians should listen to him when he talks about socialism & capitalism." - Meryuma

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Revoltaire wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_vs._Barnette

Whatever that law is, it is clearly unconstitutional. The Supreme Court ruled in 1943 that requiring students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools was a violation of the 1th amendment and freedom of speech. Bring a copy of that ruling to the next school board meeting, speak up and see what happens.

There IS NO REQUIREMENT!
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General