NATION

PASSWORD

How to catch a queen Ant?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Austria-russia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Austria-russia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Kreigan wrote:Im trying to catch a queen ant for my ant farm Ive made. I ffound a ants nest but I cant seem to find the queen no matter how far I dig and its near a tree so one of the roots is down below in the nest and I had to give up digging after a while and the next morning the little buggers had already began covering up where Ive been digging. so does anyone know how to lure the queen ant out of the nest?

your not going to want to catch one when you see it...

Kreigan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Kreigan wrote:Do you know by chance how long they mate for like 1 whole day or like a certain amount of hours? And yeah I ddint really wanna dig it up I like ants but I thought that was the only way.
Usually at least two days in a row - on odd occasions (Depends on the climate), they may do so more than once a year.

Arivada wrote:But how can it be that hard to find(I sound ignorant don't I?) From what I have learned over time is that any ant queen is down there, you just got to keep looking.
Well, I'd have to guess here - I have never dug for one myself, the times I saw one was when the sidewalks were covered in them :-p But typically, if the nest's endangered, the queen tends to flee - so, that'd be a pretty obvious issue, nevermind the general complexity of a nest.

Flooding, perhaps? Run a garden hose into the next for a couple of days, long enough for the water to penetrate to sanctum sanctorum and I bet the workers start hauling the larvae and queen out of there.

I still say, get a puppy.

I live in an apartmant complex and the nest is across the parkinglot in font of my apartment. I know both of the neighbors and both dont care but I dont have a long enough hose and that would block people from pulling into the parking lot.
Kreigan Imperial Armed Forces Official Weapons supplier: Schwerpunkt

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Austria-russia wrote:
Kreigan wrote:Im trying to catch a queen ant for my ant farm Ive made. I ffound a ants nest but I cant seem to find the queen no matter how far I dig and its near a tree so one of the roots is down below in the nest and I had to give up digging after a while and the next morning the little buggers had already began covering up where Ive been digging. so does anyone know how to lure the queen ant out of the nest?

your not going to want to catch one when you see it...

Well I know their ugly but I mean sieroiusly how bad can it be their ants.

Austria-russia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria-russia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:46 pm

wait I just googled imaged them and they don't look like what i thought they did go right ahead I was thinking of asomething else

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Anyway - ideally, pay attention when going outside in the late summer. At some point, there'll be swarmin' ants. Once this occurs, you best look for a sunny, stony place - a parking lot serves very well. Not one made wholly from asphalt, but with little stones over a normal ground covering, and a bit of vegetation around -, and wait. In the early evening, during late swarming/ the first few hours afterwards, you should be able to find shittons of queens on the ground, post-mating. Just collect 'em.

Okay, so this is a rather optimistic outlook. In some places this works, while other places appear almost antless - it happens. But if there's significant swarming in your area, such a place makes it very easy to collect. No grass or bushes for the queens to hide.

Just make sure you do it the very evening the swarming occurs. The next say, the queens will be either dug in, or eaten by a wide variety of predators.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Kreigan wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Kreigan wrote:Do you know by chance how long they mate for like 1 whole day or like a certain amount of hours? And yeah I ddint really wanna dig it up I like ants but I thought that was the only way.
Usually at least two days in a row - on odd occasions (Depends on the climate), they may do so more than once a year.

Arivada wrote:But how can it be that hard to find(I sound ignorant don't I?) From what I have learned over time is that any ant queen is down there, you just got to keep looking.
Well, I'd have to guess here - I have never dug for one myself, the times I saw one was when the sidewalks were covered in them :-p But typically, if the nest's endangered, the queen tends to flee - so, that'd be a pretty obvious issue, nevermind the general complexity of a nest.

Flooding, perhaps? Run a garden hose into the next for a couple of days, long enough for the water to penetrate to sanctum sanctorum and I bet the workers start hauling the larvae and queen out of there.

I live in an apartmant complex and the nest is across the parkinglot in font of my apartment. I know both of the neighbors and both dont care but I dont have a long enough hose and that would block people from pulling into the parking lot.

That's a problem. Have you tried live-ants.com? I didn't see any mention of queens, really, but they have an 800 number you could call.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Austria-russia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Austria-russia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 pm

I still say get a puppy as well

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Dogs are dirty, filthy, and evil animals.

At least make it a kitten. Kittens are cute.

Ants are awesome, though.

This said, the most awesome of all are spiders. Spiders are <3
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Geniasis wrote:Ant colonies are a lot like trenches. So adopt WW1 strategies to counter it.

^This. Lots of artillery, saps and mustard gas should do the trick. Maybe the occasional overpowered landmine.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Ant colonies are a lot like trenches. So adopt WW1 strategies to counter it.

^This. Lots of artillery, saps and mustard gas should do the trick. Maybe the occasional overpowered landmine.

Poppycock!

What you need is a good ol' fashioned cavalry charge!
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm

North Suran wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:

Poppycock!

What you need is a good ol' fashioned cavalry charge!

Aye, that could work too. He just needs the right kind of élan.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:Dogs are dirty, filthy, and evil animals.

At least make it a kitten. Kittens are cute.

Ants are awesome, though.

This said, the most awesome of all are spiders. Spiders are <3

Spiders are creepy I hate how they walk and ehh how they just look creeps me out

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Kreigan wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:

That's a problem. Have you tried live-ants.com? I didn't see any mention of queens, really, but they have an 800 number you could call.

Yeah see its illegal to buy a queen ant in the US, dont know why since I think its ridiculos but yea beleive me I would have bougth a queen if it was legal rather than try and dig up or catch one during mating season.

Jalkil
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalkil » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:Dogs are dirty, filthy, and evil animals.

Say that again and I will name you my eternal enemy! My dog is the most cutest, little dog I have ever seen... Ofcourse she IS a little fat but then she was the one who wanted to have my bread...
Can noone help me gain my own country?
Sell me some land!

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Why are you trying to catch a queen ant?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Why are you trying to catch a queen ant?

Ostensibly to start a colony from scratch in a farm. It's very interesting to watch them work.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Kreigan wrote:

Oh ok ill just go pull out the mustard gas and and atillery then bomb and gas them out, thanks.

It would solve that specific problem. Of course I assume that problems and solutions exist in a void and don't have any other effects on the rest of the world. That would be silly.

No, no. Tanks. You have to invent tanks, then you can roll over their little myrmydon trenches and capture the queen. Fabulous.

Don't be daft, the survivors can always rebuild. We have to irradiate the soil with nukes.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Glorious Homeland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Homeland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm

La Habana wrote:

Ants have a breeding season, where all the queens from all the nests sprout wings and fly off to make a new nest......a perfect opportunity to catch one.

This, have patience and check on the colony every day around a certain month, forget when it is; but it'll be quite obvious given the amount of winged males and females about the ground.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Don't they sell them specifically for ant farms?

[edit]Ah I see -- they don't. How big a farm are you talking? Seems like with her laying hundreds of eggs a day your farm will die pretty quickly.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 0ccbc1a062
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Do ants migrate away from a nest that's been smoked out? I know when the bloody pocket gophers cause mischief in my garden it's best to go out there with some little smoke-bombs and smoke them out - they get out and stay out long enough to close in the holes, and then they don't really want to come back. I don't know if ants work the same way, but you might be able to smoke out the queen.

Pandarchy
Envoy

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandarchy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Enadail wrote:
La Habana wrote:

Ants have a breeding season, where all the queens from all the nests sprout wings and fly off to make a new nest......a perfect opportunity to catch one.

Not exactly true... its when all newly born queens take flight. They already have wings when they come out of their cocoons. Once they are impregnated and land, they lose their wings. The issue is also the male ants are flying around at that time... and its difficult to tell which ones are male and female without experience.

You don't just get a magnifying glass and look for little wee-wees then? :blink:

Communist Balkania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Balkania » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Mustard Gas?

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Communist Balkania wrote:

Mustard Gas?

No, bayonet charges.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Communist Balkania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Balkania » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 pm

I could see that happening to, like the neighbors look over and see you spraying yellow gas over a large portion of your yard and then firing a cannon at it.
Last edited by Communist Balkania on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General