NATION

PASSWORD

Should Students be Expelled for Religious/Sexual Beliefs?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should students be expelled for religious/sexual beliefs?

No to expulsion.
40%
Yes to expulsion
20%
Expulsion only if those beliefs promote criminal acts.
40%

Total votes : 366

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:
If they follow her advice then they're much less likely to get AIDS.

1) Condoms exist. They work well.

The HIV virus is small enough to get through the rubber of the condom plus condoms break.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Quelesh wrote:This is from World Net Daily, a "publication" to which I give no credence whatsoever. I don't believe a single thing they say.

If you don't believe the source, find an alternate source.
I chose this as the supporting article because I first saw the story on the O'Rielly Factor, which I imagine that you hold in the same regard as WND
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Gordonopia wrote:Just another example of the double-standard of "tolerance". Christians have to sit down and shut up about there beliefs or they are "intolerant" and "bigoted" while homosexuals can shove their immoral lifestyle choices down everyone's throat and they are "inclusive" and "celebrating diversity". HA!

1) There's no double standard because there's no equivalence between homosexuality and Christianity. One is clearly an idea that you choose to accept by choosing to neglect epistemology. The other is related in a very involuntary manner to brain wiring and chemistry. In other words, unlike being involuntary sexual attraction, Christianity really is a choice.

2) How are homosexuals "shoving" their lifestyle upon you? Are they trying to force you to be gay? Are they trying to outlaw straight marriage? Are the Texas Republicans considering passing laws against heterosexual intercourse? Oh wait no, that's all shit many heterosexuals are trying to do to gays. Projection much?

3) Blanket tolerance is stupid. Only certain things should be tolerated, and the tolerance for each can be justified rationally.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 pm

the right to freedom of speech and religion as defined by the US constiution will end this rather quickly.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Bramborska
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:
Bramborska wrote:What if she gets attacked by terrorists?

Er, what if an asteroid hits the Earth and destroys all her potential clientele?

Yeah, because those have a very similar probability to counseling Christians with repressed homosexual desires.

Not all Christians are as fervent about spreading and converting others to their faith as atheists are.

I imagine that there's a far cry between saying "I'd rather not interact with homosexuals in my professional/personal life" and "I think I'm going to a re-education camp and start psychologically destroying homosexuals." Equally, there's a far cry between talking about what could happen, and what has happened.
Last edited by Bramborska on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 pm

This is just like when I was told I could not get my driving license when I turned up for the test drunk citing my belief that I drive better after a drink or two.

What a travesty!
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Referring to the story linked by the OP specifically, I don't think school administrators have any right to expel students for being ignorant.

More generally, I suppose what the student says/does matters far more than what they believe. If they are spouting anti-gay rhetoric or harassing homosexual students, then maybe some sort of discipline would be called for...
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:
Gordonopia wrote:Just another example of the double-standard of "tolerance". Christians have to sit down and shut up about there beliefs or they are "intolerant" and "bigoted" while homosexuals can shove their immoral lifestyle choices down everyone's throat and they are "inclusive" and "celebrating diversity". HA!

1) There's no double standard because there's no equivalence between homosexuality and Christianity. One is clearly an idea that you choose to accept by choosing to neglect epistemology. The other is related in a very involuntary manner to brain wiring and chemistry. In other words, unlike being involuntary sexual attraction, Christianity really is a choice.

2) How are homosexuals "shoving" their lifestyle upon you? Are they trying to force you to be gay? Are they trying to outlaw straight marriage? Are the Texas Republicans considering passing laws against heterosexual intercourse? Oh wait no, that's all shit many heterosexuals are trying to do to gays. Projection much?

3) Blanket tolerance is stupid. Only certain things should be tolerated, and the tolerance for each can be justified rationally.

So then if I believe that Christianity is the only way to achieve eternal salvation I shouldn't be tolerated because I believe that homosexuality is an abomination? But if I think that being gay is a good way to get attention I should be tolerated? That's not a double standard at all.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:The HIV virus is small enough to get through the rubber of the condom plus condoms break.

"Laboratory studies have shown that latex condoms provide an effective barrier against even the smallest STD pathogens."

http://www.thebody.com/content/art51354.html

"Condoms hardly ever break if they are stored and used correctly. Studies show that latex condoms break only about 0.4% (4 out of 1000) of the time during the first five uses, and "

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/maleco ... ives1.html

Yes both are cited. Yes, both were attained in under 10 seconds each with a Google search.

Of course condoms don't work 100% of the time. However, they are very effective. Like I said, if you're that worried, just don't have sex at all. If you choose to have sex, don't think you're off Scot free because you're heterosexual.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Jimanistan wrote:Referring to the story linked by the OP specifically, I don't think school administrators have any right to expel students for being ignorant.

They didn't, they're not allowing her to complete a course in counseling where she does not accept homosexuality as anything but a sinful choice nor will she provide unbiased advice on abortions.

Essentially, those disqualify her from being a counsellor, and rightly so.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Jimanistan wrote:Referring to the story linked by the OP specifically, I don't think school administrators have any right to expel students for being ignorant.

More generally, I suppose what the student says/does matters far more than what they believe. If they are spouting anti-gay rhetoric or harassing homosexual students, then maybe some sort of discipline would be called for...

Is there room for an academic discussion? Can the disagreements, if put forth politely, be admitted into civil discussion or is the mere difference in point of view offensive?
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm not apart of any college admissions panel, much less Augusta University's admissions team, but I suspect that if there was a history of anti-gay rhetoric, not to mention gay harassment, then the individual in question wouldn't have made it through the front door.
Last edited by Bramborska on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Hmm, hard to say. If there really are such things as xtain counselors with similar views (whatever the fuck a counselor is) and they are recognized & licensed in Georgia by the "Georgia Counselor Licensing Thingy" then the school should probably STFU, since its a state institution and has to respect everyone's lunacy.

But if this is just some purely academic degree type thingy, then I guess the school can decide whatever it wants as the criteria for the degree, as long as that particular brand of lunacy is consistent.

I'm globally externally skeptical about the whole thing though.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:04 pm

But she wasn't. She was just saying, and I agree, that homosexuality is a choice instead of a problem with neuro-chemical connections. That's a far cry from beating gays don't you think?
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Barringtonia wrote:They didn't, they're not allowing her to complete a course in counseling where she does not accept homosexuality as anything but a sinful choice nor will she provide unbiased advice on abortions.

I'd imagine that the majority of people would have a hard time with that.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:I'd imagine that the majority of people would have a hard time with that.

The majority of people would also have trouble with getting into Harvard. :meh:
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Gordonopia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonopia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:

1) Really? I'm sorry to burst your little PC bubble, but homosexuality really is a choice. Individuals choose the behavior that they are going to engage in and with whom. I know that this is a common liberal talking point, but it really is not valid.

2) Gays are pushing there agenda in all areas of public life, especially in public schools and in the political arena. There are numerous examples of schools celebrating the homosexual lifestyle and attempting to indoctrinate kids into believing that homosexuality is just as normal and fulfilling as heterosexuality. In American culture today, Christianity is being scrubbed from the public sector because of bogus Establishment Clause claims and is being replaced with the not so values neutral teachings of Secular Humanism and Postmodernism. If you don't support homosexuality, you are labeled as "bigoted" and "ignorant". That is how homosexuals are forcing their lifestlye down everyone's throat.

3) True. But it doesn't make it right.
President of the World Assembly Conservative Union. Founder and WA Delegate of Moralistic Autocracies .

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:But she wasn't. She was just saying, and I agree, that homosexuality is a choice instead of a problem with neuro-chemical connections. That's a far cry from beating gays don't you think?

Which was why I said I wasn't so sure expulsion in this case was warranted.
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Bramborska wrote:Not all Christians are as fervent about spreading and converting others to their faith as atheists are.

Why don't you look at the number of billboards for Christianity vs. the number of Christians, the same for atheists, look at the number of proposed bills to encourage or enforce atheism vs. the number to encourage or enforce Christianity, and some other stats and then we can talk about who's trying harder to convert whom, and who's just trying to assert their legitimacy in a society that considers them subhuman.

I imagine that there's a far cry between saying "I'd rather not interact with homosexuals in my professional/personal life" and "I think I'm going to a re-education camp and start psychologically destroying homosexuals."

Look at those strawmen burn! I never said she would try to start a re-education camp. Let me use your own stupid line against you. There's a far cry between starting a re-education camp and giving bad psychological advise.

Equally, there's a far cry between talking about what could happen, and what has happened.

But not so much with what will very likely happen. There are Christians with closet homosexual desires. They aren't a hypothetical kind of person. They are real. They also have psychological problems just like everyone else. In fact, the repressed sexuality often causes them to have MORE problems, and thus they would be more likely to seek counseling than average. They also often seek counseling RELATED to "correcting" their gayness. These people exist. They are not a fantasy. This is not some wild-eyed shit here.

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:I'd imagine that the majority of people would have a hard time with that.

The majority of people don't go to local community colleges.
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Gordonopia wrote:1) Really? I'm sorry to burst your little PC bubble, but homosexuality really is a choice. Individuals choose the behavior that they are going to engage in and with whom. I know that this is a common liberal talking point, but it really is not valid.

Inform yourself.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

They didn't, they're not allowing her to complete a course in counseling where she does not accept homosexuality as anything but a sinful choice nor will she provide unbiased advice on abortions.

You come to counselors for advice- if you know she feels that way, then don't go to them. It she thinks it's a choice, then she can think that.

A rather extreme example of something similar would be asking a racist friend for advice. If you didn't want racist advice, don't go to the racist friend. With all this said, I don't really see what she did that was so bad.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Gordonopia wrote:1) Really? I'm sorry to burst your little PC bubble, but homosexuality really is a choice. Individuals choose the behavior that they are going to engage in and with whom. I know that this is a common liberal talking point, but it really is not valid.

2) Gays are pushing there agenda in all areas of public life, especially in public schools and in the political arena. There are numerous examples of schools celebrating the homosexual lifestyle and attempting to indoctrinate kids into believing that homosexuality is just as normal and fulfilling as heterosexuality. In American culture today, Christianity is being scrubbed from the public sector because of bogus Establishment Clause claims and is being replaced with the not so values neutral teachings of Secular Humanism and Postmodernism. If you don't support homosexuality, you are labeled as "bigoted" and "ignorant". That is how homosexuals are forcing their lifestlye down everyone's throat.

3) True. But it doesn't make it right.

Oh thank God! Someone who isn't a radical lefty!
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Bramborska wrote:The majority of people don't go to local community colleges.

So we're in agreement that 'The majority has trouble with/does not' is not a valid argument, right?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Bramborska wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:

The majority of people don't go to local community colleges.

So what?

Despite the terrible journalism on the part of the OP, which paints this as some anti-Christian crusade, the simple fact is that if you don't meet the criteria for a particular course then you don't meet it.

I, as a student, don't get to define the terms on which I pass or do not pass a course.

Jennifer Keeton wants to be a school counselor. But she doesn't want to work with gay people unless she can convert them.

And now she's suing for the right to be let loose into the world as a renegade social worker rescuing those gays.

I'm sorry, but you can't just choose how you engage with these things, she can become a bishop if she wants to rescue gay people on behalf of the church, oh wait, she can't, yet another friendly piece of exclusion brought to you by the church.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General