NATION

PASSWORD

Why do people still think Columbus discovered America?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Why do people still think Columbus discovered America?

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Really and truly, why? For years now we have known Leif Erickson went to New Foundland before him, there are Norse settlements there, so please don't dispute that. In case you do, here is a credible link that states the settlement was occupied somewhere around 990-1030 AD. http://archaeology.about.com/cs/explorers/a/anseauxmeadows.htm

So again I ask, why do people still think Columbus discovered America? To push even harder, there is evidence that Zheng He, renound Chinese explorer, "discovered" America in 1421. http://www.1421.tv/

So for a third time I ask, why do people think Columbus discovered America? To add to this, if any of you know anything about the Polynesians, you will know they settled nearly every island in the Pacific from New Zealand to Hawaii, so please tell me why they wouldn't be able to find two massive continents? Plus, there is evidence of Polynesian Chickens in Chile, Polynesian Fish hooks off the coast of California, and much more. http://archaeology.about.com/b/2010/04/25/polynesian-seafaring-to-the-american-continents.htm

So really, why does the public still believe Columbus discovered America, it is just flat out false.

Oh, and almost all of this info was contained in a History Channel special which aired today, but that is not where I got this, it merely refreshed my mind on these things, I had previously known at least something about all of these.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Because he was the one who brought it to the attention of the European powers of the day.
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't think anyone still does, really. They teach about the Viking expeditions to Vinland all the way back in 6th grade here in Canada, and as far as I know, and the Zheng He expedition is still largely theoretical, as far as I know. The reason why Columbus' expeditions are considered so important is that Columbus directly brought about the Age of Colonization, whereas the Chinese only visited the coasts of the Pacific and the Vikings left before long.

Berzerkirs
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Berzerkirs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:21 pm

No source, which I'll get flak for, but I've read that many Basque fishing expeditions have been to Newfoundland before the Vikings themselves. :)

Maybe not the first, but still pretty good in my book.
We RP as Kiojin.
Quotes and Such
"If you're under 30 and not a liberal, you have no heart.
If you're over 30 and not a conservative, you have no brain."

Manahakatouki wrote:
Berzerkirs wrote:The Incan god of the moon jizzed on the earth, and so sprouted the grass and various other plants.
True story. ;)

I was there...I told him to freakin' clean it up...He refused, peeing thus on some of his jizz...These my friends are dandelions...

^That was for you WWIIHG! <3

Member of CoD [Council of Dictators]

"You laughed, therefore I'm right."-Berz

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Avenio wrote:I don't think anyone still does, really. They teach about the Viking expeditions to Vinland all the way back in 6th grade here in Canada, and as far as I know, and the Zheng He expedition is still largely theoretical, as far as I know. The reason why Columbus' expeditions are considered so important is that Columbus directly brought about the Age of Colonization, whereas the Chinese only visited the coasts of the Pacific and the Vikings left before long.

Well you have not gone to School in America. I live in New York, which has a very good public education program, but it still almost solely teaches Columbus discovered America.

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

embassy program

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 pm

The thing that pisses me off the most about the History Channel thing today was that some guy was like "A lot of people in Columbus's fleet were terrified because they thought they were going to fall off the edge of the Earth."

Literally none of them did because they knew the goddamn world was round. The year of Columbus's voyage was the year the goddamn GLOBE was invented. I don't understand why something called the History Channel airs such shit. Most of the stuff in the show today is widely believed to be a hoax by the academic community, to boot. The History Channel is a joke.
Last edited by Caelapes on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Because it's a nice story. And to be fair he was the first one who actually did something with it. And those who came after of course. Of course the part about the nice story is Blatant Lies.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Berzerkirs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Berzerkirs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Avenio wrote:I don't think anyone still does, really. They teach about the Viking expeditions to Vinland all the way back in 6th grade here in Canada, and as far as I know, and the Zheng He expedition is still largely theoretical, as far as I know. The reason why Columbus' expeditions are considered so important is that Columbus directly brought about the Age of Colonization, whereas the Chinese only visited the coasts of the Pacific and the Vikings left before long.

Well you have not gone to School in America. I live in New York, which has a very good public education program, but it still almost solely teaches Columbus discovered America.

They teach about the Vikings here in Iowa.

You know, if the Natives aren't considered as "discoverers".
We RP as Kiojin.
Quotes and Such

Manahakatouki wrote:
Berzerkirs wrote:The Incan god of the moon jizzed on the earth, and so sprouted the grass and various other plants.
True story. ;)

I was there...I told him to freakin' clean it up...He refused, peeing thus on some of his jizz...These my friends are dandelions...

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

because ocean blue rhymes with 1492...
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Caelapes wrote:The thing that pisses me off the most about the History Channel thing today was that some guy was like "A lot of people in Columbus's fleet were terrified because they thought they were going to fall off the edge of the Earth."

Literally none of them did because they knew the goddamn world was round. The year of Columbus's voyage was the year the goddamn GLOBE was invented. I don't understand why something called the History Channel airs such shit. Most of the stuff in the show today is widely believed to be a hoax by the academic community, to boot. The History Channel is a joke.

Boats of the time period proved they didn't think the Earth was flat because they had a Crow's Nest.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Caelapes wrote:The thing that pisses me off the most about the History Channel thing today was that some guy was like "A lot of people in Columbus's fleet were terrified because they thought they were going to fall off the edge of the Earth."

No, I have read exerts from some sailors journals that show some of them planned to mutiny if they didn't stop soon. Even during Columbus's time, things like the Globe would only be privy to the upper class, not lowly sailors. The public scoffed at Columbus, but the Spanish royalty knew he was right and that's why they funded him.

embassy program

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Plus, if you think about it, Columbus was looking for a shortcut to China during his expeditions, not simply exploring.

Hegstoria wrote:

Well then, you have your answer, don't you? It's because the education system in the States is in the toilet.
Last edited by Avenio on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Berzerkirs wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:

It is completely ignored here, I only know a handful of people my age that know about Lief Erickson.

embassy program

Berzerkirs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Berzerkirs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Berzerkirs wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:

It is completely ignored here, I only know a handful of people my age that know about Lief Erickson.

What age, if I may ask?

Hegstoria wrote:

No, I have read exerts from some sailors journals that show some of them planned to mutiny if they didn't stop soon. Even during Columbus's time, things like the Globe would only be privy to the upper class, not lowly sailors. The public scoffed at Columbus, but the Spanish royalty knew he was right and that's why they funded him.

Also, remember many of the "sailors" were simply prisoners and ne'er-doers who were given a second chance. Not to mention the fact that the Spanish monarchy had everything to gain and nothing to lose should whatever happen.
We RP as Kiojin.
Quotes and Such

Manahakatouki wrote:
True story. ;)

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Everyone at the time knew the Earth was a sphere. Columbus' goof was that he'd got his math wrong and thought it was a lot smaller than it was. Many people at the Spanish court had better math and a measurement for the Earth's circumference more closely matching the real one. Obviously, since they didn't know about the Americas, the idea that someone could cross the width of the Atlantic and the width of the Americas and the Pacific to reach the Far East was dubious, given the naval technology of the time.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Because:

1) It's a cool story.

2) There are a lot of ignorant people in the world.

3) The previous "discoveries" of America by figures such as Erik the Red were relatively unknown to European society until the modern era. Columbus enlightened European leaders as to the presence of the "New World"...

I've met a few people who thought Christopher Columbus was the United States' founding father... 0.0
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

The Weegies
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weegies » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 pm

The only conclusive visitation by pre-Columbian non-Native Americans is the Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows (although in terms of the other theories, I find the Polynesian one appealing and most probable, though still with little in the way of concrete evidence.)

The Zheng He hypothesis is widely considered by most historians to be highly unlikely and based on the most tenuous of suppositions.
The Weegies is aware of all internet traditions.

Dare you face the awesome and terrible fury of The Invigilator?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Hegstoria wrote:

Odd. Not in my school.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, up to a certain point, people believed he discovered India, but that isn't true either...

We mainly believe because American's don't care who discovered our nation. All we care about are the current football scores.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Berzerkirs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Berzerkirs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Well, up to a certain point, people believed he discovered India, but that isn't true either...

We mainly believe because American's don't care who discovered our nation. All we care about are the current football scores.

Yeh, I'd say history isn't one of America's strong points...
We RP as Kiojin.
Quotes and Such

Manahakatouki wrote:
True story. ;)

New Cassel
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cassel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Hegstoria wrote:So really, why does the public still believe Columbus discovered America, it is just flat out false.

Tradition, mostly.
The Bleeding Roses wrote:because ocean blue rhymes with 1492...

^This, too.
Caelapes wrote:The year of Columbus's voyage was the year the goddamn GLOBE was invented.

I believe news travelled somewhat slowly in those days; what without TV and the internet.
Caelapes wrote:I don't understand why something called the History Channel airs such shit. Most of the stuff in the show today is widely believed to be a hoax by the academic community, to boot. The History Channel is a joke.

Yeah, THC is really hurting for decent programming these days. They often show movies that are loosely based on historical events. Sad.

Edit: Wrote without thinking. Wasn't the first time. Probably won't be the last. Do I get a cookie for at least admitting it?!
Last edited by New Cassel on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:

Odd. Not in my school.

I have never once spent time on the Vikings, let alone the fact that they discovered America. Now, I know it's in the Textbook, because I looked (Yes, I'm a global history nerd lol). None of my teachers really ever mentioned him. My Global History Teacher this year mentioned Zheng He, but he was telling someone about the book that some guy wrote about it(Although my Global History teacher is awesome, if he had the first half he would probably teach us about lief.)

Oh, and to answer someone's question about what age, 15-16-17, depends on who. I'm 15, but I'm a december birthday. I know some people in my grade that are 17. So to summarize, we're soon to be Juniors.

embassy program

The Weegies
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weegies » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Of course, to be entirely pedantic, technically Columbus never discovered America; he never landed on the North American continent. The first European to land on the continent of North America after the Vikings is generally considered to be John Cabot.
The Weegies is aware of all internet traditions.

Dare you face the awesome and terrible fury of The Invigilator?

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Because people remember what they were told when they were younger? Anyway, he opened up the Americas to Europe, which is what is taught in schools now.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:40 pm

New Cassel wrote:I believe news travelled somewhat slowly in those days; what without TV and the internet.

Well it's a good thing it was universally known anyway and the globe wasn't invented as soon as they realized that the earth was round.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General