NATION

PASSWORD

What Are the Main Reasons People are Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Canadai wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
Carls-land wrote:
Georgism wrote:
Kayliea wrote:cos they're fucking stupid /endthread.

Assuming you're not just trolling, why does being a Christian make a person less intelligent than average? :)

because believeing things without evidence is stupid.

So I guess that means all religious people are stupid, right?

Yup. But at least we can be stupid together, Wil.

Oh oh oh, can I be stupid too?

Why not?

*pulls out clipboard*
Now... what's the nature of your stupidity...? We already have a Catholic and a Pagan....
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Katganistan wrote:Catholics believe that hell is not the fiery torment-filled lake so much as the soul's self exclusion from God's presence (either through unrepentant sin or disbelief) so really, is it a punishment for non-believers?

Exactly; I've read enough of the bible that if it was somehow true (which, for the record, I find EXTREMELY unlikely) I'd rather be away from him than with him.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Canadai wrote:Top Five IMO
    Indoctrination
    Fear
    Filling In Gaps
    Unusual/Paranormal Experiances
    Having Their Life Saved (Ironically, mostly by Science)

Reminds me of a story I heard in Texas.

When a woman was dying of cardiac arrest, she apparantly prayed to Jesus as they used the defibbulator... Saved her life, but to this day she still claims it was Jesus that saved her, not the good doctors.

Jesus saves.... the rest of you get half damage. ;)

And Budda helped with the recovery process *nods*.
Last edited by Seperates on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Right-Wing-Extremists
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Right-Wing-Extremists » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Because they are brainwashed to think they are going to burn in hell if they dont....

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Right-Wing-Extremists wrote:Because they are brainwashed to think they are going to burn in hell if they dont....

I know for a fact that I have a VERY dirty mind. :lol2:

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Right-Wing-Extremists wrote:Because they are brainwashed to think they are going to burn in hell if they dont....

Sinner! Sinner! Kill the Sinner! Horrah! Get out the torchs and pitchforks, we get to burn the Sinner!
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Seperates wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Sinner! Sinner! Kill the Sinner! Horrah! Get out the torchs and pitchforks, we get to burn the Sinner!

Oh, quiet you. Traditionally, sinners get stoned.

RepentNowOrPayLater
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby RepentNowOrPayLater » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

**ssssffffftttt**** Plauuuuuhoooooo....ugh...okay, so man...like...I feel....wrathful or something...wrathful...raffle...hahahahahahaha....*sssssfffftttt*

Yethtu
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yethtu » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Why is this even here to start with?

Far an answer, becuse religon is like opium; calming and highly addictive.

And like for being hooked on phonics, there isen't really rehab
Proud owners of the State of Contonara, colonial posetion.
After a massive months long RL cival debate (and just plain refusal to post on my part) Yethtu's First Citizen Party has returned to power. Hazza and what not.
-If there ever was a God, he gave up a LONG time ago-

-Anti-Regulationists have obviously never read The Jungle. Would you like some samonilla-laced eggs with your copy?-

-Just becuse I find it distasteful, does not mean I can find it illegal-
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

What, but why would we want them to enjoy it?

EDIT: Shit... Ninja'd

Rolling Dead
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling Dead » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Burning is better though.

It allows them to feel, and prepare for the pains to come.

RepentNowOrPayLater
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby RepentNowOrPayLater » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Seperates wrote:
EDIT: Shit... Ninja'd

I dont know what it means to be "shit ninja'd", but it sounds sinful.

And maybe expensive.

Unless your partner really likes you. Or is just in to that. Maybe they just like that kind of thing.

No accounting for taste.

Kayliea
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kayliea » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:15 am

Gaypeoples
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaypeoples » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:22 am

Shia Majority wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:What are the main reasons any people are any religion? Because they're raised as such.

Not necessarily. I was raised Christian, but no longer am.

Many people do stay, or atleast say they are Christian due to family. Others actually believe though, and some even convert to Christianity.

yes, but there are also determinations like other indoctrination... its always a kind of manipulation and brain damage.

DeltaDawgLand
Secretary

Founded: May 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby DeltaDawgLand » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 am

because man always searches for a purpose. even athiest people belive in a kind of creation even if it gives no hope it makes them feel better since it gives them a sense of understanding. i was athiest for a while but i decieded all current theroys on the subject were based to much on a hope for no God then real facts. im christian because A its the only relgion that isnt totaly retarded B they dont bomb the shit out of people get bombed the shit out of. or cant eat pork. C it makes the most sense overall and has the most lined up to historic dates overall comparitvly. giving the best chances that God is the real by statisitics alone. not to mention the hole i feel really freaking safe when i go in a church.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:28 am

the main reason people call themselves "christian" in christo-themic dominated cultures,
is exactly the same reason they call themselves islamists in islamo-themic dominated cultures,
or buddhists, in buddo-themic dominated cultures:
(or anything else in anything else dominated cultures)
to avoid social and economic discrimination,
or in other words, to get paid and get laid.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:47 am

South Lorenya wrote:While there are many reasons, I would be very surprised if "because my parents are christian." was below 80%.

I definitely would, especially among younger churches and church-goers.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:48 am

Xelforin wrote:In general terms.

Tradition.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 am

Gaypeoples wrote:
Shia Majority wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:What are the main reasons any people are any religion? Because they're raised as such.

Not necessarily. I was raised Christian, but no longer am.

Many people do stay, or atleast say they are Christian due to family. Others actually believe though, and some even convert to Christianity.

yes, but there are also determinations like other indoctrination... its always a kind of manipulation and brain damage.

Indoctrination? Maybe if you find some very obscure sects of Christianity. But I'm afraid you'll be hard pushed to find many other cases of indoctrination. If you'll stop being so obnoxious towards a religion which you clearly know very little about, I would thank you.

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality

Also, bonobos zygons.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 am

Cabra West wrote:

Tradition.

the western hemisphere had at least ten thousand years of its own traditions before 'christian' europeans ever set foot in it, nor eyes on it. so i would hardly think that applies.

in israel, or europe maybe it might be though.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

New Immortallia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 18, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Immortallia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:56 am

Many people believe that they are attracted by God, or by Nature, when they are only repelled by man. ~William Ralph Inge

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:19 am

Johz wrote:Indoctrination? Maybe if you find some very obscure sects of Christianity. But I'm afraid you'll be hard pushed to find many other cases of indoctrination. If you'll stop being so obnoxious towards a religion which you clearly know very little about, I would thank you.

Anyone who in modern liberal society can be indoctrinated into the Christian religion such that they are "mentally damaged" and cannot leave it, is mentally weak anyway and would be so, regardless of whatever religion they're in.

After all, the people making these "brainwashing" accusations seem to have managed to leave their religion, so if they can…
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:28 am

Cameroi wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Tradition.

the western hemisphere had at least ten thousand years of its own traditions before 'christian' europeans ever set foot in it, nor eyes on it. so i would hardly think that applies.

To be honest, I wasn't really talking in terms of centuries, or even milllenia.
Tradition for most people boils down to "My parents did/do it, my grandparents did/do it, nearly everyone I know does/did it, so why should I do any different?"
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 am

Cabra West wrote:
Cameroi wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Tradition.

To be honest, I wasn't really talking in terms of centuries, or even milllenia.
Tradition for most people boils down to "My parents did/do it, my grandparents did/do it, nearly everyone I know does/did it, so why should I do any different?"

Actually, in my own experience at least, fewer and fewer people become Christians because of reasons like these.

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman

Also, bonobos zygons.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 am

Johz wrote:
Actually, in my own experience at least, fewer and fewer people become Christians because of reasons like these.

Really? That's funny, cause in my experience, people tend not to get asked before being baptised and raised that way... :blink:

Lord Vetinari

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General