NATION

PASSWORD

America's Ammo Addictions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should lethal ammunition be restricted in favor of non-lethal ammunition?

Yes, and all ammunition in general should be highly restricted.
12%
Yes, and lethal ammunition should be banned from sale entirely.
4%
Yes, it may reduce the number of deaths.
1%
Yes, but there should be exceptions for legitimate purposes like hunting.
18%
Yes, but it should be left up to the states.
4%
No, but people should receive training in non-lethal self-defence.
8%
No, but non-lethal ammunition sales should be incentivised and promoted.
4%
No, it's infringing on the rights of firearms users.
47%
Other (state your position below).
3%

Total votes : 137

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:02 pm

Osmauri wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:The National Firearms Agreement.

That seems self evident.

Not to them and frankly not to me either. What I'm suggesting is influenced by the impossibility of disarming the entire country. If it was even doable, I'd advocate for a total ban on civilian firearm ownership.

What's not to them? That a civilian with a gun cannot, by definition, be a civilian without a gun?

Osmauri
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2023
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:03 pm

American Legionaries wrote:
Osmauri wrote:Not to them and frankly not to me either. What I'm suggesting is influenced by the impossibility of disarming the entire country. If it was even doable, I'd advocate for a total ban on civilian firearm ownership.

What's not to them? That a civilian with a gun cannot, by definition, be a civilian without a gun?

Wat?
Your post made... no sense whatsoever. Can you elaborate?
·they··them· | extended sig
Le leftist shenanigans | Factbooks.
CMN|4:7:2040 - Man arrested after harassing passersby with a toy mouse | Severe blizzard in Sorelles kills 5 | Merger between Paskavaa Electric and Ardentee Aeronautics
The Apollonian Systems wrote:Well that’s obviously because homosexuality is stronger than heterosexuality, meaning it makes you immune to heterosexual influence, but straights can still be turned gay.

Obviously.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:04 pm

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:The National Firearms Agreement.

That seems self evident.

...that's not how logic works. If the idea is that guns are there to deter tyranny, you can't just say "you're tyrannical because you don't let us have guns!" What actual forms of tyranny do you need to "use" the guns to deter?

Gun confiscation.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:05 pm

Osmauri wrote:

Wat?
Your post made... no sense whatsoever. Can you elaborate?

The problem solved by people having guns is people who do not have guns. It's self evident that a person with a gun is not without a gun, since these conditions are mutually exclusive.

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 pm

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:...that's not how logic works. If the idea is that guns are there to deter tyranny, you can't just say "you're tyrannical because you don't let us have guns!" What actual forms of tyranny do you need to "use" the guns to deter?

Gun confiscation.

Y'know, breaking new laws isn't what I quite wanted.
The whole reason I suggested rubber bullets was that confiscation couldn't happen because we mainly use live ammo right now. It... still really wouldn't happen with rubber bullets either, but ultimately confiscation and/or relinquishment requires cultural sea change, which isn't in the cards yet.
CMN|4:7:2040 - Man arrested after harassing passersby with a toy mouse | Severe blizzard in Sorelles kills 5 | Merger between Paskavaa Electric and Ardentee Aeronautics
The Apollonian Systems wrote:Well that’s obviously because homosexuality is stronger than heterosexuality, meaning it makes you immune to heterosexual influence, but straights can still be turned gay.

Obviously.

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:08 pm

Osmauri wrote:Now, I obviously haven't been shot with rubber bullets, but from what I can tell they hurt like hell. The entire point of defending yourself is just to stop the other guy from shooting, and if he's rolling around in pain on the floor you've achieved this aim as well as if he was bleeding out instead.
Whether someone is in pain, alive, bleeding out, or even dead doesn't matter. What matters is whether they are still a threat. When defending yourself, you want to neutralise that threat by whatever means is necessary. Of course, you have a duty to only use deadly force if necessary, but deadly force often is necessary.

There is a reason that cops, soldiers, and self-defense experts still use lethal ammo in their guns - it's because less lethal options(rubber bullets, beanbag shotguns, tasers, pepper spray, etc.) isn't as effective at neutralising threats. When defending yourself from a deadly assailant, you want to protect yourself effectively, not to compromise in the assailant's favor.

Also, the use of less-lethal ammunition in a firearm still legally counts as deadly force(if you're a civilian), and self-defense with deadly force requires that deadly force be necessary. When you use less-lethal ammunition, it still legally counts as deadly force, but your choice of ammunition shows that you believe that killing is unnecessary in that scenario, therefore proving that your use of deadly force was excessive.

You should add "no, less-lethal solutions aren't effective enough to rely on" to the poll.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Paberia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 16, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Paberia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:08 pm

I like this idea.
Paberia is a medium sized country in Western Africa founded by freed American slaves after the end of the American civil war, Paberia values freedom and justice to all and maintains a stable government, with a strong economy and military, and low levels of corruption.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:09 pm

Osmauri wrote:What I thought was this: "What if we looked at what the gun shoots?"
My solution to this would be to heavily restrict lethal ammunition sales and marketing. In its place, non-lethal ammunition like rubber bullets and other such things would be sold instead, in addition to tightening background checks on buyers and users. This wouldn't be relegated to states, ideally, but a federal law.
Now, I obviously haven't been shot with rubber bullets, but from what I can tell they hurt like hell. The entire point of defending yourself is just to stop the other guy from shooting, and if he's rolling around in pain on the floor you've achieved this aim as well as if he was bleeding out instead.
People in that case get to keep their guns, defend themselves from assailants, but wouldn't be able to kill people in the process. If you did and you could've avoided a death, then charges for stuff like gross negligence.

Theoretically this would also reduce the murder rate. If all you can find for your gun easily is some puny rubber pellets you're not exactly going to do a whole lot of permanent damage. And for that case, we have assault charges.

Vote in the poll above on what you think of this, and maybe also say what you think too.

Great. Like lots of low income working folks in the South and Southwest I hunt for the pot. How am I supposed to hunt with rubber bullets?
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Also Not FNU
Attaché

Founded: Dec 31, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Also Not FNU » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:10 pm

A lot of non-lethal projectiles can still do substantial harm or still kill a human being, and to assume that there wouldn't be resistance to the restriction of ammunition sales is just fantastical. Additionally, this still wouldn't stop at home reloaders from continuing their legally protected right to manufacture ammo. On a more person to person note, I'd rather a bullet do it's job then a piece of rubber maim.

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Osmauri wrote:Now, I obviously haven't been shot with rubber bullets, but from what I can tell they hurt like hell. The entire point of defending yourself is just to stop the other guy from shooting, and if he's rolling around in pain on the floor you've achieved this aim as well as if he was bleeding out instead.
Whether someone is in pain, alive, bleeding out, or even dead doesn't matter. What matters is whether they are still a threat. When defending yourself, you want to neutralise that threat by whatever means is necessary. Of course, you have a duty to only use deadly force if necessary, but deadly force often is necessary.

There is a reason that cops, soldiers, and self-defense experts still use lethal ammo in their guns - it's because less lethal options(rubber bullets, beanbag shotguns, tasers, pepper spray, etc.) isn't as effective at neutralising threats. When defending yourself from a deadly assailant, you want to protect yourself effectively, not to compromise in the assailant's favor.

Also, the use of less-lethal ammunition in a firearm still legally counts as deadly force(if you're a civilian), and self-defense with deadly force requires that deadly force be necessary. When you use less-lethal ammunition, it still legally counts as deadly force, but your choice of ammunition shows that you believe that killing is unnecessary in that scenario, therefore proving that your use of deadly force was excessive.

You should add "no, less-lethal solutions aren't effective enough to rely on" to the poll.

Except for the fact that it's now much harder to acquire live ammo, even as a criminal. And there'd still be live ammo available, you just need background checks and the like for it. This just discourages people from using deadly force unnecessarily, which is more common than you seem to think it is. And, additionally, the laws would require a change then. Non-deadly and deadly force would need updated definitions.
But the idea isn't to just be discarded, nor would I intend it as just only itself for a solution.

Also, that falls under infringing gun user rights. I'll need more convincing evidence to add another poll option, because as it stands I could only add one more before the limit.

Obviously.

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:15 pm

Also Not FNU wrote:A lot of non-lethal projectiles can still do substantial harm or still kill a human being, and to assume that there wouldn't be resistance to the restriction of ammunition sales is just fantastical. Additionally, this still wouldn't stop at home reloaders from continuing their legally protected right to manufacture ammo. On a more person to person note, I'd rather a bullet do it's job then a piece of rubber maim.

I know. But the other radical solution is to just ban guns completely, and we already know that wouldn't fly here.

And at-home reloaders should probably get a license and training, because they might end up killing themselves if they fuck up a bullet and it (say) shatters the barrel instead of firing.
San Marlindo wrote:
Osmauri wrote:What I thought was this: "What if we looked at what the gun shoots?"
My solution to this would be to heavily restrict lethal ammunition sales and marketing. In its place, non-lethal ammunition like rubber bullets and other such things would be sold instead, in addition to tightening background checks on buyers and users. This wouldn't be relegated to states, ideally, but a federal law.
Now, I obviously haven't been shot with rubber bullets, but from what I can tell they hurt like hell. The entire point of defending yourself is just to stop the other guy from shooting, and if he's rolling around in pain on the floor you've achieved this aim as well as if he was bleeding out instead.
People in that case get to keep their guns, defend themselves from assailants, but wouldn't be able to kill people in the process. If you did and you could've avoided a death, then charges for stuff like gross negligence.

Theoretically this would also reduce the murder rate. If all you can find for your gun easily is some puny rubber pellets you're not exactly going to do a whole lot of permanent damage. And for that case, we have assault charges.

Vote in the poll above on what you think of this, and maybe also say what you think too.

Great. Like lots of low income working folks in the South and Southwest I hunt for the pot. How am I supposed to hunt with rubber bullets?

That's why I put an option in the polls for legitimate reasons to use it, an option I've voted for as well.
Last edited by Osmauri on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obviously.

Juansonia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:32 pm

Osmauri wrote:
Juansonia wrote:Whether someone is in pain, alive, bleeding out, or even dead doesn't matter. What matters is whether they are still a threat. When defending yourself, you want to neutralise that threat by whatever means is necessary. Of course, you have a duty to only use deadly force if necessary, but deadly force often is necessary.

Except for the fact that it's now much harder to acquire live ammo, even as a criminal.
Stockpiling, loading your own ammo, theft, smuggling, black market
And there'd still be live ammo available, you just need background checks and the like for it.
People already need a gun license to buy ammo(at least in most states that have gun licensing), and California mandates a background check anyways.
This just discourages people from using deadly force unnecessarily, which is more common than you seem to think it is.
If you want everyone to use less-lethal options for self-defense, just distribute tasers and pepper spray.
If you want people to understand the difference between what does and doesn't justify deadly force, add a competency requirement to licensing.
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

Also Not FNU
Attaché

Founded: Dec 31, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Also Not FNU » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:41 pm

Osmauri wrote:
Also Not FNU wrote:A lot of non-lethal projectiles can still do substantial harm or still kill a human being, and to assume that there wouldn't be resistance to the restriction of ammunition sales is just fantastical. Additionally, this still wouldn't stop at home reloaders from continuing their legally protected right to manufacture ammo. On a more person to person note, I'd rather a bullet do it's job then a piece of rubber maim.

I know. But the other radical solution is to just ban guns completely, and we already know that wouldn't fly here.

And at-home reloaders should probably get a license and training, because they might end up killing themselves if they fuck up a bullet and it (say) shatters the barrel instead of firing.

So you're implying that at home reloaders are too stupid to read a chart on powder to shot ratio? The solution isn't banning live ammo, nor is it banning guns, the solution is providing the basic care to those who are unwell before they ever get to the point of a terribly irrational action.

Juansonia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:44 pm

Also Not FNU wrote:
Osmauri wrote:I know. But the other radical solution is to just ban guns completely, and we already know that wouldn't fly here.

So you're implying that at home reloaders are too stupid to read a chart on powder to shot ratio? The solution isn't banning live ammo, nor is it banning guns, the solution is providing the basic care to those who are unwell before they ever get to the point of a terribly irrational action.
That and teaching more people how not to fuck themselves up accidentally. I know that at-home reloaders are competent enough to be safe, but many gun owners aren't. Maybe offering free training to everyone at (specific age point) would be a good idea?

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:44 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Osmauri wrote:Except for the fact that it's now much harder to acquire live ammo, even as a criminal.
Stockpiling, loading your own ammo, theft, smuggling, black market
And there'd still be live ammo available, you just need background checks and the like for it.
People already need a gun license to buy ammo(at least in most states that have gun licensing), and California mandates a background check anyways.
This just discourages people from using deadly force unnecessarily, which is more common than you seem to think it is.
If you want everyone to use less-lethal options for self-defense, just distribute tasers and pepper spray.
If you want people to understand the difference between what does and doesn't justify deadly force, add a competency requirement to licensing.

The issue is that people still have guns, and there's still quite a few people who'd default to using a gun anyways. Competency requirements are definitely a good idea, but they (like my idea) don't solve the whole issue. And that would like end up a state-by-state quagmire, where the effectiveness is weakened by just crossing state lines.
And smuggling would require better-funded, stronger and more adequately-trained border security. No giant walls, unlike a certain orange wig, but competent and effective border security. That one, I don't think gun nuts would complain about.

Now, trying to convince any of my fellow liberals to support this is a different story...

Obviously.

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm

Also Not FNU wrote:
Osmauri wrote:I know. But the other radical solution is to just ban guns completely, and we already know that wouldn't fly here.

Exactly. I won't dispute that mental health care is needed, but as said before, some people might not get to it in time no matter what we do.
This is trying to somewhat minimize the fallout of such cases. And again, it'd be very hard to pull off and isn't the whole solution.

Obviously.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:47 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Also Not FNU wrote:So you're implying that at home reloaders are too stupid to read a chart on powder to shot ratio? The solution isn't banning live ammo, nor is it banning guns, the solution is providing the basic care to those who are unwell before they ever get to the point of a terribly irrational action.
That and teaching more people how not to fuck themselves up accidentally. I know that at-home reloaders are competent enough to be safe, but many gun owners aren't. Maybe offering free training to everyone at (specific age point) would be a good idea?

HEH, TIL that Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, Lee, etc., reloading manuals don't exist.
There isn't a whole lot of training needed to reload, it's pretty self explanatory and with advancements on modern reloading equipment a novice can turn out quality ammo.

North Jus Intius
Envoy

Founded: May 09, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North Jus Intius » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:50 pm

Food for thought:
White racists believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with young white boys shooting their fellow students. This is because they are defending the white ethnostate.
Liberal, Social Progressive Democrat.
Hardline anti-conservative, anti-fascist, anti-Nazi, anti-republican.
In favor of the greater of two evils.

Juansonia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:51 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Juansonia wrote:That and teaching more people how not to fuck themselves up accidentally. I know that at-home reloaders are competent enough to be safe, but many gun owners aren't. Maybe offering free training to everyone at (specific age point) would be a good idea?

HEH, TIL that Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, Lee, etc., reloading manuals don't exist.
There isn't a whole lot of training needed to reload, it's pretty self explanatory and with advancements on modern reloading equipment a novice can turn out quality ammo.
I meant teaching gun safety and the like to the general population (most of whom wouldn't home-reload anyways), not treating home-reloading as more dangerous than it is.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:HEH, TIL that Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, Lee, etc., reloading manuals don't exist.
I meant teaching gun safety and the like to the general population (most of whom wouldn't home-reload anyways), not treating home-reloading as more dangerous than it is.

Easy solution to that as well. Bring back firearm safety courses in schools starting at the elementary level.

Cuba 2022 RP
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cuba 2022 RP » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm

Wow, where’s the catch? Seems too good to be true
Puppet of Wallowis
GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Spanish leader realises France wasn't at war for the past two months as he had previously thought | The United Socialist Provinces of Central America proclaimed after twelve-day war between the Central American Unification Community and El Salvador, Panama, and Costa Rica | American blockade begins to wane as they also start collapsing | Famine in Cuba as China collapses, America refuses to lift embargo | Israel changes vote in favour of Cuba, America officially condemned by every single country for blockade | Cuban protests real now, not just American colour revolution, says Putin

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:55 pm

North Jus Intius wrote:Food for thought:
White racists believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with young white boys shooting their fellow students. This is because they are defending the white ethnostate.

Dry, and a little over-heavy on the pepper. I liked the mashed potatoes more.

In all seriousness, though, it is not just young white boys doing the shooting. It also is not just about "defending an ethnostate". Far as we know, the shooting wasn't about racism, and that's a big ol' subject that might make for a threadsplit.
Definitely food for thought though.

Obviously.

Osmauri
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osmauri » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:57 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:HEH, TIL that Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, Lee, etc., reloading manuals don't exist.

I was unaware and I apologize for any conclusion jumping.
Yes, firearm safety courses. Honestly, the more reasons given that would make this drastic measure unnecessary the better.

Obviously.

Orcuo
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Orcuo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:59 pm

So enforce people to use rubber bullets and… then what?

First off, rubber bullets can be lethal, and while the death rate on rubber bullet is lower then regular bullets, it still really doesn’t solve the problem of reducing fatalities.

And honestly, the risk isn’t worth the reward in this case. If you heavily restrict/ban lethal ammo, all that’s gonna do is create a black market for real bullets. Then there’s the massive economic change in the arms industry, trying to convert metal bullet making machines into rubber would definitely be a hassle, and cost a lot. So more then likely some people would be getting laid off. Finally if we got past all that you’d still have to convince the politicians to actually support the law, more then likely a few of them are taking a couple checks from private arm manufacturers.

Overall, good intentions, bad results.
Funnyman: Putting the ‘Ions’ in NationStates since forever.
Proud Subsidiary of the NationStates Official* YouTube Channel
(*Due to a cease and desist letter from Maxcorp, I had to put this asterisk next to "Official")

ImperialRussia
Ambassador

Founded: May 16, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialRussia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:05 pm

America has always been natural born killers what difference does it make what race they are by natural selection they will always find way that follows their doctrine and remain supreme

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General