NATION

PASSWORD

The Ukrainian War IV: "And von Moltke Laughed ..."

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24013
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:another one?

They let the Ukrainians capture a fully intact and working electronic warfare pod. This pod is the best the Russians have in their arsenal.


Yea, they did that last week too. Hence why I asked another one? or was it the same one?
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005 / 2022 NFL picks record: 18-13-1
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 39430
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Anyone know if there are enough Russians in the countryside to farm? Or will the mobilization cause a food shortage?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24013
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:44 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Anyone know if there are enough Russians in the countryside to farm? Or will the mobilization cause a food shortage?


In post Soviet Russia, farm eat you
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005 / 2022 NFL picks record: 18-13-1
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Fractalnavel
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 189
Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Fractalnavel » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:47 pm

New Baltenstein wrote:... a certain Russian je-ne-sais-quoi...


What would that actually be in idiomatic Russian?

edit:

Tarsonis wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Anyone know if there are enough Russians in the countryside to farm? Or will the mobilization cause a food shortage?


In post Soviet Russia, farm eat you


Not far from the truth. Russian farmers can go off to war, while the farmers of their remaining trading partners will fill the foodstuffs gap. Maybe? Which is indirectly throwing foreign nationals at the war too.
Last edited by Fractalnavel on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Free Algerstonia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1501
Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Free Algerstonia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm

New Baltenstein wrote:I had an eerie feeling that something was missing from Putin's mobilization announcement, a certain Russian je-ne-sais-quoi...

Putin Ally Dies After Falling Down Stairs on Day of Russia Mobilization

The former head of the Moscow Aviation Institute has died after falling down "several flights of stairs," the institute reported Wednesday.

Scientist Anatoly Gerashchenko, 72, "fell from a great height," according to the university, which described his death in the Russian capital as an accident.

The institute also said paramedics were called to the scene but pronounced Gerashchenko dead in the same location. The place where he reportedly fell to his death is still unknown.

source


...but it turns out I was mistaken. Good ol' Vladimir thought of everything.

this is the final straw, i am now convinced that this special military operation was a big mistake. russia could have saved this guy's life by spending the money to make stairs less prone to people falling down them instead of on this special military operation
Last edited by Free Algerstonia on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
build the wall, drain the swamp, trump 2024

User avatar
American Pere Housh
Senator
 
Posts: 4175
Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:58 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:They let the Ukrainians capture a fully intact and working electronic warfare pod. This pod is the best the Russians have in their arsenal.


Yea, they did that last week too. Hence why I asked another one? or was it the same one?

the T-90M is a MBT and is has their best tech in it. The Ukrainians have given both the pod and the tank to the Americans to see how each tick.
Government Type:Militaristic Absolute Monarchy
Leader:King Alexander
WA Ambassador: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Secretary of Defense:Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State:Alicia Cortez
Current Year:2750
I stand with the State of Israel.
2021 RPCountry:South Korea

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73826
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:08 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Rusozak wrote:When this first started, Putin's image was so heavily inflated I thought he had some evil mastermind plan and he must know something we don't because he'd never do something so stupid.

Now he's seen as a clown and I believe it's possible he may preside over the disintegration of the Russian Federation.


Predicting the collapse of the Russian Federation is a bit extreme at this point. I don't think even Putin could accomplish such a feat on his own, not without internal discord. All signs suggest he's still the alpha dog at home even if some are leaving the pack. His position has been weakened but not necessarily crippled. Unless someone more charismatic comes along and convinces enough important people to stage a coup he'll probably die in power.

Disintegration can still happen. Especially in the Caucasus and Siberia. A lot of the troops are coming from the minority ethnic areas so it’s entirely possible that we could see some rumblings about independence or refusal to enforce recruitment
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73826
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Laka Strolistandiler wrote:Yes, please- if they’ll do that then I’ll early travel there, grab my green card and begin serving uncle sam’s misguided sons.


No offense but I don't think joining the marines sounds like your bag.

USMC= Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Err
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24013
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:14 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
Yea, they did that last week too. Hence why I asked another one? or was it the same one?

the T-90M is a MBT and is has their best tech in it. The Ukrainians have given both the pod and the tank to the Americans to see how each tick.

....okay this bot is stuck on repeat....
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005 / 2022 NFL picks record: 18-13-1
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
El Lazaro
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1474
Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:14 pm

New Baltenstein wrote:I had an eerie feeling that something was missing from Putin's mobilization announcement, a certain Russian je-ne-sais-quoi...

Putin Ally Dies After Falling Down Stairs on Day of Russia Mobilization

The former head of the Moscow Aviation Institute has died after falling down "several flights of stairs," the institute reported Wednesday.

Scientist Anatoly Gerashchenko, 72, "fell from a great height," according to the university, which described his death in the Russian capital as an accident.

The institute also said paramedics were called to the scene but pronounced Gerashchenko dead in the same location. The place where he reportedly fell to his death is still unknown.

source


...but it turns out I was mistaken. Good ol' Vladimir thought of everything.

I mean, that guy may have been important, but why would the Kremlin kill him? Unless he was a spy, it would be pretty odd to go from energy and finance bigwigs to someone who’s helping the Defense Ministry with R&D. I don’t take Putin as Stalin enough to just kill him because the war is going badly.

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21613
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:17 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:Not far from the truth. Russian farmers can go off to war, while the farmers of their remaining trading partners will fill the foodstuffs gap. Maybe? Which is indirectly throwing foreign nationals at the war too.


We should try to peel Russia's trading partners off from wanting to trade with them. They could perhaps get paid more if in exchange, they'll join into a complete embargo and blockade against Russia. We need to see Russia brought to its knees to push them into unconditional surrender if this can be acheived. Ideally, we could manage to coerce them into giving up their nuclear arsenal given how irresponsible they are with threatening to use it.

It is an unlikely outcome, but I feel it is worth pursuing to see how much can be gotten if Russia indeed loses this. If Russia wants relief from internal unrest, their choice should be a regime change at minimum, United Russia party being banned and all of Putin and ultranationalists ousted, along with a full and permanent withdrawal from all of Ukraine.

Failure to meet those conditions, should mean us pushing for an unconditional surrender on Russia's part. We won't need to invade them, we just need to ensure that their economy is ruined and that they won't be able to import anything.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All life is a battle, even to the last breath.
Showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction.
Sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool.

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2994
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sordhau » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Sordhau wrote:
Predicting the collapse of the Russian Federation is a bit extreme at this point. I don't think even Putin could accomplish such a feat on his own, not without internal discord. All signs suggest he's still the alpha dog at home even if some are leaving the pack. His position has been weakened but not necessarily crippled. Unless someone more charismatic comes along and convinces enough important people to stage a coup he'll probably die in power.

Disintegration can still happen. Especially in the Caucasus and Siberia. A lot of the troops are coming from the minority ethnic areas so it’s entirely possible that we could see some rumblings about independence or refusal to enforce recruitment


IIRC the majority of recruits were coming from ethnic republics where support for Russia was high (North Ossetia-Alania) or the population was predominantly Russian (Buryatia) whereas the one exception was Tuva (I think) and the ethnicity of the conscripts wasn't clarified.
| ☆ | ☭ | In Solidarity with the Peoples of Taiwan, Ukraine, and Armenia | In Opposition of the Imperialists in Beijing, Moscow, and Baku | ☭ | ☆ |

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73826
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:59 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Disintegration can still happen. Especially in the Caucasus and Siberia. A lot of the troops are coming from the minority ethnic areas so it’s entirely possible that we could see some rumblings about independence or refusal to enforce recruitment


IIRC the majority of recruits were coming from ethnic republics where support for Russia was high (North Ossetia-Alania) or the population was predominantly Russian (Buryatia) whereas the one exception was Tuva (I think) and the ethnicity of the conscripts wasn't clarified.

I heard somewhere that Yakuts people where being disproportionately sent to frontlines
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Port Caverton
Minister
 
Posts: 2769
Founded: Oct 01, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Port Caverton » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 pm

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24013
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:16 pm



Ans he's gonna procure that money via magic
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005 / 2022 NFL picks record: 18-13-1
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Shrillland
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19954
Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Shrillland » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Tarsonis wrote:


Ans he's gonna procure that money via magic


Let him do it, we'll get to see a first-hand experiment of how MMT works in the real world, if it can work.
How America Came to This, by Kowani: Racialised Politics, Ideological Media Gaslighting, and What It All Means For The Future
Plebiscite Plaza 2022
Confused by the names I use for House districts? Here's a primer!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

User avatar
Ethikia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 16
Founded: Sep 19, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ethikia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Fractalnavel wrote:Not far from the truth. Russian farmers can go off to war, while the farmers of their remaining trading partners will fill the foodstuffs gap. Maybe? Which is indirectly throwing foreign nationals at the war too.


We should try to peel Russia's trading partners off from wanting to trade with them. They could perhaps get paid more if in exchange, they'll join into a complete embargo and blockade against Russia. We need to see Russia brought to its knees to push them into unconditional surrender if this can be acheived. Ideally, we could manage to coerce them into giving up their nuclear arsenal given how irresponsible they are with threatening to use it.

It is an unlikely outcome, but I feel it is worth pursuing to see how much can be gotten if Russia indeed loses this. If Russia wants relief from internal unrest, their choice should be a regime change at minimum, United Russia party being banned and all of Putin and ultranationalists ousted, along with a full and permanent withdrawal from all of Ukraine.

Failure to meet those conditions, should mean us pushing for an unconditional surrender on Russia's part. We won't need to invade them, we just need to ensure that their economy is ruined and that they won't be able to import anything.


How do you convince Brazil, most of Africa and Middle East, India and China + a lot of other small countries like Vietnam, basically the entire SCO+expanded BRICS, aka the entire world besides NATO (not even all of that) and Japan?
How do you ban a normal centre-right party that is simply very corrupt but not ideologically totalitarian, I'd say not even definite?

User avatar
Uraine
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Sep 23, 2022
Father Knows Best State

go ukraine

Postby Uraine » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Wooo

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 39430
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:27 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:
New Baltenstein wrote:... a certain Russian je-ne-sais-quoi...


What would that actually be in idiomatic Russian?

edit:

Tarsonis wrote:
In post Soviet Russia, farm eat you


Not far from the truth. Russian farmers can go off to war, while the farmers of their remaining trading partners will fill the foodstuffs gap. Maybe? Which is indirectly throwing foreign nationals at the war too.

But which trading partners would be willing to do this right now? Food prices are already going up around the world.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Erablegensstan
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 58
Founded: Sep 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Erablegensstan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Fractalnavel wrote:Not far from the truth. Russian farmers can go off to war, while the farmers of their remaining trading partners will fill the foodstuffs gap. Maybe? Which is indirectly throwing foreign nationals at the war too.


We should try to peel Russia's trading partners off from wanting to trade with them. They could perhaps get paid more if in exchange, they'll join into a complete embargo and blockade against Russia. We need to see Russia brought to its knees to push them into unconditional surrender if this can be acheived. Ideally, we could manage to coerce them into giving up their nuclear arsenal given how irresponsible they are with threatening to use it.

It is an unlikely outcome, but I feel it is worth pursuing to see how much can be gotten if Russia indeed loses this. If Russia wants relief from internal unrest, their choice should be a regime change at minimum, United Russia party being banned and all of Putin and ultranationalists ousted, along with a full and permanent withdrawal from all of Ukraine.

Failure to meet those conditions, should mean us pushing for an unconditional surrender on Russia's part. We won't need to invade them, we just need to ensure that their economy is ruined and that they won't be able to import anything.


After what the West has done to Russian trading partners like India and African countries when they wanted cheap oil (not to mention the past 70 years), do you really think they are gonna trust the West? Very Naive
Don't like em, simple as.

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21613
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:06 pm

Ethikia wrote:How do you convince Brazil, most of Africa and Middle East, India and China + a lot of other small countries like Vietnam, basically the entire SCO+expanded BRICS, aka the entire world besides NATO (not even all of that) and Japan?
How do you ban a normal centre-right party that is simply very corrupt but not ideologically totalitarian, I'd say not even definite?


The "you're with us or against us" approach should work fine. If everything negative that is being applied to Russia is applied to any countries helping Russia as well in any material way, it means those countries will have to choose between allegiance to Russia or allegiance to the international side arrayed against Russia in this Ukraine conflict.
All life is a battle, even to the last breath.
Showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction.
Sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool.

User avatar
Picairn
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6833
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Shrillland wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
Ans he's gonna procure that money via magic


Let him do it, we'll get to see a first-hand experiment of how MMT works in the real world, if it can work.

Not quite, the ruble isn't the world's reserve currency, so the Russian government will have to keep the debt-to-GDP ratio low. I imagine that a lot of expenditures in other departments will continue to be cut to partially finance the war.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Albrenia wrote:With great power comes great mockability.

Proctopeo wrote:I'm completely right and you know it.

Moralityland wrote:big corporations allied with the communist elite
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
Listen here Jack, we're going to destroy malarkey.
♔ The Empire of Picairn ♔
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
We'll speak softly and carry a large Javelin.

User avatar
Picairn
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6833
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:33 pm

Last edited by Picairn on Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Albrenia wrote:With great power comes great mockability.

Proctopeo wrote:I'm completely right and you know it.

Moralityland wrote:big corporations allied with the communist elite
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
Listen here Jack, we're going to destroy malarkey.
♔ The Empire of Picairn ♔
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
We'll speak softly and carry a large Javelin.

User avatar
Greater Guantanamo
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 59
Founded: Aug 27, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Greater Guantanamo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:36 pm


Most democratic Russian election

User avatar
Perikuresu
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1229
Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Perikuresu » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:37 pm


Omg, are those Russians running a fair and free election?
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities
I comment on F7 way too much
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!

NS Stats not canon

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Duvniask, Ifreann, Kohr, San Lumen, Senkaku, The Holy Therns, Valentine Z

Advertisement

Remove ads