NATION

PASSWORD

Is the world terrified of phone calls?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:11 am

I will admit that I have phone anxiety. Takes me a while to get the courage to actually call someone for whatever reason, and well, if I don't recognize the number, I will not answer. Given I have no voice machine, that means any calls I get from unknown numbers just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 am

Luziyca wrote:I will admit that I have phone anxiety. Takes me a while to get the courage to actually call someone for whatever reason, and well, if I don't recognize the number, I will not answer. Given I have no voice machine, that means any calls I get from unknown numbers just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.

Im definitely the minority in this thread as I’ll answer pretty much any number that calls.

I don’t know what that says about me
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:I will admit that I have phone anxiety. Takes me a while to get the courage to actually call someone for whatever reason, and well, if I don't recognize the number, I will not answer. Given I have no voice machine, that means any calls I get from unknown numbers just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.

Im definitely the minority in this thread as I’ll answer pretty much any number that calls.

That you're on every telemarketers list now
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am

Jesus, is it really that bad? 81 percent?

Now I feel great about my social skills. I can pick up the phone no matter who it is.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Im definitely the minority in this thread as I’ll answer pretty much any number that calls.

Just because I answer doesn’t mean I listen for long
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kasa Tkoth Sphere
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kasa Tkoth Sphere » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:29 am

As someone with anxiety, I'm actually really surprised people are citing it as the reason they avoid phone calls. To me, phone calls are pretty easy, because I only need to know enough to phrase the first few sentences correctly, and from then on the other person can help walk me through things. There's a high tolerance for error, because everyone knows people make mistakes in a conversation, and I really appreciate that.

In an email, on the other hand, I have to get everything perfectly right the first time, down to exact word choice and phrasing. I have to come across with exactly the correct level of formality, and split my paragraphs at the right place to avoid coming across as tacky or, at the other extreme, creating walls of text. (This post, for example, has an unacceptable degree of syntactical sloppiness that I would pore over correcting for a good half-hour or so when writing an email.)

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:21 am

I'm not too bad with getting calls (of course, I only answer if I know the number or at least expect a call), but I'm terrified of making them. I've actually been putting off setting up a much-needed dentist appointment for over a week because of this. Years ago, I lived where I had a dentist two blocks away, and I never called them. I would just walk in if I unexpectedly needed an appointment. Same went for the next dentist, which was two miles away, and still an easy drive. But now, everything's 15-20 miles away (sometimes more), making that a bit impractical.

I still might drive to the new one to set up my first appointment instead. Fuck calls.

ETA: Gen X
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:32 am

Kasa Tkoth Sphere wrote:As someone with anxiety, I'm actually really surprised people are citing it as the reason they avoid phone calls. To me, phone calls are pretty easy, because I only need to know enough to phrase the first few sentences correctly, and from then on the other person can help walk me through things. There's a high tolerance for error, because everyone knows people make mistakes in a conversation, and I really appreciate that.

In an email, on the other hand, I have to get everything perfectly right the first time, down to exact word choice and phrasing. I have to come across with exactly the correct level of formality, and split my paragraphs at the right place to avoid coming across as tacky or, at the other extreme, creating walls of text. (This post, for example, has an unacceptable degree of syntactical sloppiness that I would pore over correcting for a good half-hour or so when writing an email.)

But people are only going to judge you a tiny little bit if you use the wrong there/their/they're in an email. They're going to judge you a lot if your phone conversation is full of "like" and "um" and timidly spoken sentences.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:12 am

I typically answer phone calls, but if I miss them I don't bother calling back. When I need to contact someone I typically prefer not to have a phone call - mostly because it feels like a drag and I am more structured in passing on information through writing.

At work phone calls are incredibly disruptive, so I prefer colleagues don't call me if it's not urgent to avoid having to make costly context switches. Furthermore, email and chat leave a log that I can consult later if I need to revisit important information.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:48 am

Esternial wrote:I typically answer phone calls, but if I miss them I don't bother calling back. When I need to contact someone I typically prefer not to have a phone call - mostly because it feels like a drag and I am more structured in passing on information through writing.

At work phone calls are incredibly disruptive, so I prefer colleagues don't call me if it's not urgent to avoid having to make costly context switches. Furthermore, email and chat leave a log that I can consult later if I need to revisit important information.

Your right about what you say the issue is text or email is a lot more time consuming than a phone call.

If I am issuing direction to someone, even if I do it via voice I will always follow up with an email that states the direction I am giving.

But for a preliminary or general conversation about a subject voice is both quicker and more fluid.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:06 am

https://youtu.be/Sd8uJswc2Tc?t=14s

Generation Z problems :p

So, I have no problem with phone calls, but they lack proper archiving and search functions.

At least, for the end user, the CIA probably has something in place, but we don't have access :(
The Blaatschapen should resign

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 am

Kasa Tkoth Sphere wrote:As someone with anxiety, I'm actually really surprised people are citing it as the reason they avoid phone calls. To me, phone calls are pretty easy, because I only need to know enough to phrase the first few sentences correctly, and from then on the other person can help walk me through things. There's a high tolerance for error, because everyone knows people make mistakes in a conversation, and I really appreciate that.

Anxiety has different manifestations, as varied as those who have anxiety conditions. Yours just doesn’t manifest in having phone anxiety.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016

Postby Jerzylvania » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:40 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Im definitely the minority in this thread as I’ll answer pretty much any number that calls.

Unless he answers in another language. That drives them nuts. I love doing that.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 am

Thermodolia wrote:Well I’m definitely in the minority. I prefer phone calls as I can’t type fast enough nor can I spell. So talking is easier for me

No, we get it. You're a marine. :p
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:35 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Anxiety has different manifestations, as varied as those who have anxiety conditions. Yours just doesn’t manifest in having phone anxiety.

Yup. My anxiety tends to flare up in high stress situations like car wrecks or gunshots (or anything that sounds close to them) or occasionally stores and a night for some weird reasons
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Yup. My anxiety tends to flare up in high stress situations like car wrecks or gunshots (or anything that sounds close to them) or occasionally stores and a night for some weird reasons

No shade on this person, but I do wish some people (particularly those who do not have an anxiety condition) understood that anxiety manifests in different ways because we’re all different.

Trying to call a doctor’s office, for example, can be excruciatingly difficult to some anxiety sufferers. Causing sweating, palpitations, fear, trembling… you make it.

Personally, I have to write down and rehearse what I’ll say before calling, say, my bank or a restaurant, or anyplace really. I prefer texting, all the way. It sucks, but that’s my account on why I’m incredibly scared of phone calls.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 pm

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Jinggangshan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinggangshan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:13 pm

That's what number displays and an answering machine are for: I set mine to 4 rings, and if it's an unknown number I let them tell who they are before deciding about picking up. "Oh, so sorry, I was occupied and didn't make it before the answering maching started, now... Mr. Dude, how can I help you?" Anyone worth my time is either known by number or calls my work phone anyway.

Mobile I have a little modded app that allows me to be unreachable to numbers I can safe as profiles: when I'm in my free time certain people will have to make do with "the number you have called is currently..."
中国共产党万岁!
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:05 pm

Lady Victory wrote:Zoomer here.

If I don't know the number, I don't answer. Leave a message and I'll call you back if I care enough. Otherwise, I prefer texting. It's more convenient. Also I hate small talk with a passion.

I prefer phone, but only if I know you. Political bullshit calls, notification that the warranty on my 15yr old car is about to expire, robocalls of any kind can go die in a fire.

If I know your number I pick up or call back immediately.
If it's a doctor's office or someone I do business with, I call back.

All others: My home is my sanctuary from the outside world. Don't intrude.

I text, but usually for brief messages 1) someplace where making a call would be inappropriate 2) if I know the other person is very busy and I just need a quick answer or to give them a quick heads up 3)if I know they are sick - a quick check in and offer to pick up whatever, or to remind them to call/text if they need help with anything.
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 am

I treat the cell phone as my convenience not others. I pick up a call when I want too

Same at home.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:I treat the cell phone as my convenience not others. I pick up a call when I want too

Same at home.

Damn straight, Ace.

The owner of the phone pays for the device and service provider. Incoming calls are screened as he sees fit.

It's good to be King ...or Queen. Spam callers are Jokers that don't know Jack. They get deleted.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:58 pm

I typically answer my phone when I get a call, but I do never call back if I get a missed call. If it's important they'll either call me back, leave a voicemail or use an alternative method of communication.

At work I'm not too big a fan of calling my colleagues. If I had to pick between calling them on the phone and talking to them in-person, I would prefer the latter. Phone calls just have something more aggressive to it. If you go up to someone's desk and you see they're busy, you can wait. You call someone out of the blue, they're immediately pulled off-focus by that annoying jingle/noise of <insert corporate chat/phone client>. If you want to talk about things via the phone, ping them first to see if they're actually available for a call and not in the middle of e.g. a live deployment or detailed code review. It's usually good to keep people on your good side so they can grease the gears in the future when you really need it.

Countesia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:06 pm

I don't like phone calls but i will answer it if I know the number. I don't answer unknown numbers as a rule. Too many shady mfs around.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:16 pm

I just received a phone call 20 minutes ago, it was a scam call masquerading as Medicaid.

Jinggangshan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinggangshan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:24 pm

Genivaria wrote:I just received a phone call 20 minutes ago, it was a scam call masquerading as Medicaid.

LOL @ nations that haven't outlawed cold calling.
中国共产党万岁!
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General