NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:I don't see what is so wrong about trying to buy the country of greenland.

Ethically? Nothing.
Logically? Fucking stupid as hell.

No logically Trump was following in the foot steps of past Presidents. Also USA numba 2!!!
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Eahland wrote:
Galloism wrote:Mostly I just was pointing out the example wasn't that great of an example.

Also, I still didn't get my personal 5G uplink, and I'm super pissed about it.

The problem is that flesh is opaque in 5G frequencies, so none of our vaccine nanobots can get any bars.

You know, this is the problem with the world. Devs release things without even so much a Ring 0 testing group and these problems suddenly crop up that no one could have predicted.
Last edited by Galloism on Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:49 pm

i had to get some blood drawn today and the fat black lady doing it was the most jolly person i've ever met. she said i should embrace being bougee
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Mostly I just was pointing out the example wasn't that great of an example.

Also, I still didn't get my personal 5G uplink, and I'm super pissed about it.

I heard only select people where allowed those. And they specifically excluded Florida residents

That's a 14th amendment violation, that's what this is.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:12 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Merrill wrote:
Okay, this is where the "lived experiences" of millions of people are conflicting, and setting up different expectations from the government. Some still view Covid with fear. Others look at what effect it had on them and their neighbors, and say "What's the big deal?"

So, for those of you who are still afraid, masks that work are now available, there is a vaccine that the government claims to work; why don't you guys protect yourselves, and let the rest of us reject the risk, if we choose? It's YOUR responsibility to protect yourself.

Because, Billy, there will always be people who can't get the vaccine for various medical reasons, or are all ready immunocompromised, and we're not particularly inclined to let them die just because you've decided that endangering others by being a petty spiteful asshole makes you the hero of your own deluded fairytale.

Not being petty. It's a pretty straightforward risk assessment. I've had bad reactions to vaccines in the past. The probability that this vaccine will harm me, vs the possibility of harm from the disease calculates out to: I'm not going to get a vaccine that's been in development for 18 months to minimize (not even prevent) a disease that has a less than 0.2% chance of killing me. Same reason that I haven't gotten a flu vaccine in 28.5 years.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
No, 'the point' is that Trump isn't just being criticized because he's a Republican. Because he isn't.

That's a fake argument made to rationalize why Trump was so ridiculously unpopular, even compared to previous dumpster-fire presidents like Bush - and it relies on everyone agreeing to forget things like the yield curve inverting all the way back in 2018, the economy having 5 of it's ALL-TIME biggest same-day collapses in the 3 years BETWEEN Trump being elected and the pandemic... and his horrible mismanagement of a pandemic.

Trump wasn't criticized for being a republican or a conservative - he isn't either. He was criticized for being an awful, awful president. Which is why his criticisms have been unusually bipartisan.

You know looking back it's really easy to forget alot of the Trump scandals because of just how fucking many there were.

As Clinton teaches us, the way is to have just the one big subsidiary scandal that distracts from the original scandal.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Galloism wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I heard only select people where allowed those. And they specifically excluded Florida residents

That's a 14th amendment violation, that's what this is.

In fairness we exclude Florida from anything cool.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Forsher wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You know looking back it's really easy to forget alot of the Trump scandals because of just how fucking many there were.

As Clinton teaches us, the way is to have just the one big subsidiary scandal that distracts from the original scandal.

Pretty sure Trump was more having so many individual scandals that it’s impossible to focus on one - otherwise we have to determine which was the original one :p

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Pretty sure Trump was more having so many individual scandals that it’s impossible to focus on one - otherwise we have to determine which was the original one :p

Didn't he try to play weatherman with a hurricane?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Ah, the DDOS school of PR.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:22 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Pretty sure Trump was more having so many individual scandals that it’s impossible to focus on one - otherwise we have to determine which was the original one :p

Didn't he try to play weatherman with a hurricane?

Absolutely, just a few years in
Forsher wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Pretty sure Trump was more having so many individual scandals that it’s impossible to focus on one - otherwise we have to determine which was the original one :p

Ah, the DDOS school of PR.

…that’s a pretty good term for it tbh

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That was Azar who said that. Even in your article it mentions it and Fauci directing people to the CDC. 45 was more interested in politics and the pandemic.

Directly from the article:

"Right now, in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, an immunologist and a public face of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, on CBS’ “60 Minutes” earlier this month. He, like the others, suggested that masks could put users at risk by causing them to touch their face more often.

Let’s not just randomly assert things contradicting the source article without evidence, shall we?

Notably, it links to a cbs news article as a Source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/preventing ... 020-03-08/

It’s entitled:

March 2020: Dr. Anthony Fauci talks with Dr Jon LaPook about COVID-19

And it says:

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask," infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci told 60 Minutes.

While masks may block some droplets, Fauci said, they do not provide the level of protection people think they do. Wearing a mask may also have unintended consequences: People who wear masks tend to touch their face more often to adjust them, which can spread germs from their hands.

So again, I’d like to ask people to stop reinventing history.

Ok I will admit I missed Fauci after reading Azar. I am curious why you are dumping blame on him when the other two guys basically said the same thing.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Masks were never official under 45.

No, but they were under the authoritarian governors and mayors! I still live under a public space mask mandate, and it's pissing me off!

So very many lies, starting with 2 weeks to flaten the curve...

Hah. You forgot the authoritarian business leaders and owners. The school leaders, etc., etc. It’s pissing you off? Oh Boohoo. I can guess how you would have handled WW2 with all the rationing. Ohhh the complaining.

You can have your “freedom” you just get the consequences of your choices.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:28 pm

San Lumen wrote:

What do we need them for? Why should someone who is unelected by anyone get to decide legislation?

Short answer: Because we are a nation of duly constituted Law and Order, not of "laws", nor (of the whims) of men (who think they can do whatever they want without any consequences for their actions). Two of many of the purposes of parliamentary procedure and the parliamentarians who rule of the issues deals with stopping Law (specifically the Institution of duly constituted law and the passage of general statutes in reflation of said Law) from becoming a mockery of justice, and a mere tool of power-stupid people. We have one of the most incredibly ethically challenged Congresses in parliamentarianism since the Civil War. The current Congress seems to either not care, or not understand the purpose and fitness of the Office to which they have been elected. The fact that Congress cannot read their own User's Manuals, or worse think they do not have to abide by it without lawful remedy, should send up warning flags.
Last edited by Narland on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok I will admit I missed Fauci after reading Azar. I am curious why you are dumping blame on him when the other two guys basically said the same thing.

You're curious why I would assign blame to an immunologist who serves as the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and who is the Chief Medical Advisor to the President of the United States for claiming that masks actually will cause disease to spread more (due to touching) during a pandemic?

Maybe you need to look at my original post and the post I responded to for your answer as to why I posted this information.

Galloism wrote:
Rusozak wrote:
The N-95 was singled out early on because the supply was low at the time and they were urging people to save the N-95 for hospital staff and first responders. Yes, there was like a month where Fauci and others were telling people not to mask up because healthcare workers needed them and the supply chain hadn't caught up yet. But for anyone who's looked at the news since May of last year, the supply chain has caught up and they quickly changed their stance now that they were readily accessible to everyone.

Let's not reinvent history.

Fauci recommended against masks because the average person fiddling with and touching them would likely have a greater risk of infection than if they weren't wearing masks at all. Now that's ridiculous, but it was what was said at the time.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:30 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:i had to get some blood drawn today and the fat black lady doing it was the most jolly person i've ever met. she said i should embrace being bougee

For covid? Otherwise uhm? Ok?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You're curious why I would assign blame to an immunologist who serves as the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and who is the Chief Medical Advisor to the President of the United States for claiming that masks actually will cause disease to spread more (due to touching) during a pandemic?

Maybe you need to look at my original post and the post I responded to for your answer as to why I posted this information.

Galloism wrote:Let's not reinvent history.

Fauci recommended against masks because the average person fiddling with and touching them would likely have a greater risk of infection than if they weren't wearing masks at all. Now that's ridiculous, but it was what was said at the time.

*shrugs* I don’t blame him for comments made in the early days of the pandemic. I blame 45 more. There was no real information channel and those that could do it had to make sure they didn’t hurt the fefes of 45.

Notice Fauci is saying much more now that he is free of 45 and his people?

Even then; he was right. The n95s did make people fidget with them.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:38 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Merrill wrote:
No, but they were under the authoritarian governors and mayors! I still live under a public space mask mandate, and it's pissing me off!

So very many lies, starting with 2 weeks to flaten the curve...

Hah. You forgot the authoritarian business leaders and owners. The school leaders, etc., etc. It’s pissing you off? Oh Boohoo. I can guess how you would have handled WW2 with all the rationing. Ohhh the complaining.

Japan and Germany were real threats to everyone. If Covid was a real threat to me, I wouldn't be bitching, now would I? Tell the people in the at risk groups to vaccinate and mask; and let the rest of us make our own choices. I would accept the consequences if I were allowed to.

FYI, the business leaders aren't the ones forcing compliance - they are under threat from government thugs also. Schools? School boards are also government. Got any better examples?
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:39 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* I don’t blame him for comments made in the early days of the pandemic.

I do. He had a duty, job, and responsibility to the American people, just like the other assholes you named. And he abdicated it, and got hundreds of thousands of people killed, just like the other assholes you named. "I am afraid of telling the truth to the American people because it might hurt the feelings of an orange asshole" is not an excuse for the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to lie to the American people, get hundreds of thousands killed, and be part of this whiplash that continues to lash back and forth to this very day.

Stop making excuses for powerful people to fucking gaslight the public because it might hurt somebody's feelings, even if that person is the President of the United States. He had a goddamn job.

No, he wasn't, and everybody knew it, and they know it now, given people are buying N95s now on recommendation.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Japan and Germany were real threats to everyone. If Covid was a real threat to me, I wouldn't be bitching, now would I? Tell the people in the at risk groups to vaccinate and mask; and let the rest of us make our own choices. I would accept the consequences if I were allowed to.

FYI, the business leaders aren't the ones forcing compliance - they are under threat from government thugs also. Schools? School boards are also government. Got any better examples?

You missed the issues of businesses going against the republican state rules of no masks. Anyway; your conspiracy theories are kind of boring. I am one who likes a good one……

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* I don’t blame him for comments made in the early days of the pandemic.

I do. He had a duty, job, and responsibility to the American people, just like the other assholes you named. And he abdicated it, and got hundreds of thousands of people killed, just like the other assholes you named. "I am afraid of telling the truth to the American people because it might hurt the feelings of an orange asshole" is not an excuse for the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to lie to the American people, get hundreds of thousands killed, and be part of this whiplash that continues to lash back and forth to this very day.

Stop making excuses for powerful people to fucking gaslight the public because it might hurt somebody's feelings, even if that person is the President of the United States. He had a goddamn job.

No, he wasn't, and everybody knew it, and they know it now, given people are buying N95s now on recommendation.

Ok. His end choice would be resigning for going against 45. You know that petty little fuck would have gone after him with a vengeance if he went against him. 45 can’t handle people who are respected more and challenge him.

So he had his morals and quit. We would have had some brown noser in there parroting the 45 messaging over covid and probably be heading towards a million. Though I don’t know what Fauci was thinking and we probably never will. He is not as petty as the politicals.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Ok. His end choice would be resigning for going against 45. You know that petty little fuck would have gone after him with a vengeance if he went against him. 45 can’t handle people who are respected more and challenge him.

And, even if true, he had a damn job. And he went against Trump multiple times and did not get fired for it anyway. Yeah Trump is a pansy ass crybaby, but you don't get to say "I was just following orders" when you tell the public masks will fucking get them killed.

It wasn't ok for Barr to be a shithead because Trump would can him. It's wasn't ok for Spicer, Scaramucci, Pompeo, Betsy DeVos, and all that crew to be shitheads because they were working for Trump. You do not get a pass on being a shithead because the President is a shithead. Period. You do not get a pass on getting hundreds of thousands of people killed because you were afraid of hurting his feelings.

Period.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Merrill wrote:

You missed the issues of businesses going against the republican state rules of no masks. Anyway; your conspiracy theories are kind of boring. I am one who likes a good one……

Easy to miss when the boot on your neck is Democrat...

If a business chooses to mandate masks, that's fine, it's their property. Someone else will be happy to take my money.

That's the difference, you see. My transactions with businesses are VOLUNTARY! The government gives only a shitty choice: Obey, or Die.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:51 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

And, even if true, he had a damn job. And he went against Trump multiple times and did not get fired for it anyway. Yeah Trump is a pansy ass crybaby, but you don't get to say "I was just following orders" when you tell the public masks will fucking get them killed.

It wasn't ok for Barr to be a shithead because Trump would can him. It's wasn't ok for Spicer, Scaramucci, Pompeo, Betsy DeVos, and all that crew to be shitheads because they were working for Trump. You do not get a pass on being a shithead because the President is a shithead. Period. You do not get a pass on getting hundreds of thousands of people killed because you were afraid of hurting his feelings.

Period.

Wow! We agree on something. The principle, that is. I disagree with your examples, but I'm happy to see Honor expressed in this thread.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Merrill wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Easy to miss when the boot on your neck is Democrat...

If a business chooses to mandate masks, that's fine, it's their property. Someone else will be happy to take my money.

That's the difference, you see. My transactions with businesses are VOLUNTARY! The government gives only a shitty choice: Obey, or Die.

Please direct me to where the government has indicated death is the punishment for not complying with mask or vaccine mandates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General