NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread VI: Are We Nearly There Yet? (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should your country require everyone who can receive a COVID-19 vaccine to actually receive it?

YES
53%
YES, BUT there should also be exceptions for philosophical and religious reasons
7%
NO, BUT EMPLOYERS SHOULD DO SO THEMSELVES
5%
NO, BUT people should be incentivised towards taking, and/or away from not taking, a COVID-19 vaccine (perhaps through lotteries, vaccine passports, etc.)
14%
NO
22%

Total votes : 302

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sun May 30, 2021 7:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Nice, just remember that it can take 2 weeks after the second vax for the body to be immunized.

Yeah, I took a work-from-home today (I have to go to office once a week for stuff) to take care of them, so there is that. I can already tell, to be honest. Only 60 mins or so in, and they are already feeling some soreness on their arms. AFAIK, they got through the first dose without the effects taking in that quickly.

Hope you have been doing well, too!

The Black Forrest wrote:Cool. Congrats!

Thanks! Hope you have been doing well, too!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun May 30, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Nice, just remember that it can take 2 weeks after the second vax for the body to be immunized.

Yeah, I took a work-from-home today (I have to go to office once a week for stuff) to take care of them, so there is that. I can already tell, to be honest. Only 60 mins or so in, and they are already feeling some soreness on their arms. AFAIK, they got through the first dose without the effects taking in that quickly.

The Black Forrest wrote:Cool. Congrats!

I also just got my second. The muscle they put the vaccine in is really sore but other than that I am good. Hurts to get my arm above a 90 degree angle.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Yeah, I took a work-from-home today (I have to go to office once a week for stuff) to take care of them, so there is that. I can already tell, to be honest. Only 60 mins or so in, and they are already feeling some soreness on their arms. AFAIK, they got through the first dose without the effects taking in that quickly.

I also just got my second. The muscle they put the vaccine in is really sore but other than that I am good. Hurts to get my arm above a 90 degree angle.

Oooh, good to know. I need to prepare myself when I get mine on July, or even June if I am super lucky / Singapore is super fast going down the age groups. Probably June-July first dose, then August or later for second.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 30, 2021 7:29 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I also just got my second. The muscle they put the vaccine in is really sore but other than that I am good. Hurts to get my arm above a 90 degree angle.

Oooh, good to know. I need to prepare myself when I get mine on July, or even June if I am super lucky / Singapore is super fast going down the age groups. Probably June-July first dose, then August or later for second.

Honestly, I am not sure if that is the vaccine itself or an issue with getting a shot. I felt it when the vaccine was pushed in. The arm by my side while typing is just a little sore, kinda like a muscle has been worked out. Will find out tomorrow if I get hit with anything worse.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun May 30, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun May 30, 2021 7:37 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Oooh, good to know. I need to prepare myself when I get mine on July, or even June if I am super lucky / Singapore is super fast going down the age groups. Probably June-July first dose, then August or later for second.

Honestly, I am not sure if that is the vaccine itself or an issue with getting a shot. I felt it when the vaccine was pushed in. The arm by my side while typing is just a little sore, kinda like a muscle has been worked out. Will find out tomorrow if I get hit with anything worse.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, the needle jab itself can be the thing in itself. I remembered getting a jab for a routine blood test and yup, it bruised up for a tad.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 30, 2021 9:05 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Couldn’t decide if this was politics or covid. So posting at both:

Remember the gal selling the yellow jewish stars with “not vaccinated” ? She owns a hat shop. Stetson said “yea you are done” and pulled all business from her.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ine-badges

Good.

Though, no doubt she will use it to make more offensive, false comparisons.

Neutraligon wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Until we start forcing unvaccinated people to give up their property and possessions and force them into ghettos by the boxcar load, I fail to believe that such people are facing any tyranny. And honestly, making a Star of David with the word "unvaccinated" in it is just incredibly disrespectful to the victims of the Holocaust.

Don't forget forcing them into actual death camps where we try to kill them by the hundreds of thousands.

I am convinced to within a reasonable margin of error that many of the people who make "Holocaust comparisons" to masking and vaccination and various other aspects of modern life than annoy them do not actually know that much about the Holocaust.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 30, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 30, 2021 9:33 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:Couldn’t decide if this was politics or covid. So posting at both:

Remember the gal selling the yellow jewish stars with “not vaccinated” ? She owns a hat shop. Stetson said “yea you are done” and pulled all business from her.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ine-badges

Good.

Neutraligon wrote:Don't forget forcing them into actual death camps where we try to kill them by the hundreds of thousands.

I am convinced to within a reasonable margin of error that many of the people who make "Holocaust comparisons" to masking and vaccination and various other aspects of modern life than annoy them do not actually know that much about the Holocaust.

Take them to the Holocaust museum in either Israel or DC...some of those images still traumatize me.
Just A Little though

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 10:57 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Wow.

Well I reached out to the Goorin PR people and forwarded that link.

-update-

Just got word from Goorin and they said they are severing all ties with that third party.

Did you seriously just contribute to an online mob trying to destroy a small business and then post happily about it on the internet?

Why would you do that?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 10:59 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
-update-

Just got word from Goorin and they said they are severing all ties with that third party.

Did you seriously just contribute to an online mob trying to destroy a small business and then post happily about it on the internet?

Why would you do that?

By 'online mob' you mean 'free enterprising business' and by 'small business' you mean 'embarrassing client who brings them into disrepute'.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:02 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Did you seriously just contribute to an online mob trying to destroy a small business and then post happily about it on the internet?

Why would you do that?

By 'online mob' you mean 'free enterprising business' and by 'small business' you mean 'embarrassing client who brings them into disrepute'.

The mob are the people who pressure larger businesses to cut ties with them.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:06 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

The mob are the people who pressure larger businesses to cut ties with them.

So you oppose customers giving feedback to businesses?

Why is it ok for people to boycott a company for supporting some causes, but not for spreading potentially lethal misinformation?

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:10 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:The mob are the people who pressure larger businesses to cut ties with them.

Why is it ok for people to boycott a company for supporting some causes, but not for spreading potentially lethal misinformation?

I'm perfectly fine with individulas boycotting a company. I'm not fine with large companies doing it.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:14 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with individulas boycotting a company. I'm not fine with large companies doing it.

So if a hat seller's customer base say 'stop selling your hats through venues supporting potentially lethal misinformation' you think the free, private business should be barred from doing so? At first it sounded like you disapproved of the 'mob' doing it, but now it sounds like you'd be fine with the mob doing it, but not the company responding to its customer base's wishes.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 30, 2021 11:15 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

The boards of companies are made up of individuals -- individuals who built up their company and have a right to not want it being tainted by association with someone who spreads misinformation and wants to make profit from Holocaust imagery.

Companies have the right to suspend associations based on anything that's not a protected class -- and anti-vaxxer who (per the review shared earlier) at least apparently discriminates based on race is not.

So good for them.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:16 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:I'm perfectly fine with individulas boycotting a company. I'm not fine with large companies doing it.

So if a hat seller's customer base say 'stop selling your hats through venues supporting potentially lethal misinformation' you think the free, private business should be barred from doing so? At first it sounded like you disapproved of the 'mob' doing it, but now it sounds like you'd be fine with the mob doing it, but not the company responding to its customer base's wishes.

The way I would handle this would be to make political beliefs a protected class in the same style as race, sex, disability etc in equality law.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

The way I would handle this would be to make political beliefs a protected class in the same style as race, sex, disability etc in equality law.

That's fair enough, although Covid misinformation is not a political belief any more than crystal healing is, although both strongly tend towards one side or the other.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 30, 2021 11:19 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:The way I would handle this would be to make political beliefs a protected class in the same style as race, sex, disability etc in equality law.

That's fair enough, although Covid misinformation is not a political belief any more than crystal healing is, although both strongly tend towards one side or the other.

And the review The Black Forrest forwarded to Goorin's PR pointed to racial discrimination by store's owner, which is also not a political belief.

So, whether for conspiracy theory or discriminatory practise, she still would not have been entitled to protection.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 30, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:20 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:The way I would handle this would be to make political beliefs a protected class in the same style as race, sex, disability etc in equality law.

Pretty much anything can be framed as a political belief honestly, it's not restricted to the beliefs of the mainstream parties. If I believed that we should bring back slavery, which for the avoidance of doubt I don't, that's a political belief despite how obviously disgusting it is.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Pretty much anything can be framed as a political belief honestly, it's not restricted to the beliefs of the mainstream parties. If I believed that we should bring back slavery, which for the avoidance of doubt I don't, that's a political belief despite how obviously disgusting it is.

That seems unworkable. Not only would you have Christian bakers being forced to make gay wedding cakes, you'd have shops forced to sell goods which don't sell simply because they're unable to refuse selling objects which promote any form of idea.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sun May 30, 2021 11:28 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Good.

Take them to the Holocaust museum in either Israel or DC...some of those images still traumatize me.

Or the camps that have been turned into museums. The sheer volume of documentation they had at Dachau was... a lot to take in.

There was also an account I read in a book that especially stuck out to me for some reason, even among all the horrible stories and images and things that are out there. A bunch of people had been crammed into a train for transport between camps, but then the train got delayed because it was late in the war and the rail network was collapsing. It wound up sitting stopped on the track for something like 10 days -- a really long time. Despite the delay, the Nazis never opened the train car to check on the prisoners or feed them or anything like that. They just left it sitting there. In the dead of winter. By the time they finally got to the other camp where they were supposed to be transporting the prisoners, everyone inside had died from some combination of dehydration and frostbite, and all the bodies were frozen together in one big mass. The Nazis got prisoners to clean out the train car because they didn't want to clean up their own mess, and the account I read was written by one of the people who had to clean it up.

I dunno why that particular story hit me harder than the other stuff I've read about the Holocaust, but it is really sad.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sun May 30, 2021 11:30 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
-update-

Why would you do that?

Why not?
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Pretty much anything can be framed as a political belief honestly, it's not restricted to the beliefs of the mainstream parties. If I believed that we should bring back slavery, which for the avoidance of doubt I don't, that's a political belief despite how obviously disgusting it is.

That seems unworkable. Not only would you have Christian bakers being forced to make gay wedding cakes, you'd have shops forced to sell goods which don't sell simply because they're unable to refuse selling objects which promote any form of idea.

Although in general there's something that rubs me the wrong way about the whole idea of forcing bakers to make gay wedding cakes, I accept that to gain something I find to be increasingly necessary (the removal of ideological purity tests) that unfortunately there are things that must be sacrificed for the sake of consistency. As for your second point, I'm sure you're aware that in making judgements judges are often able to take into account the point of the law if such a thing is blindingly obvious. The point of the law is obviously not to force people to keep things hogging space on shop shelves, it would be to prevent companies being pressured into deplatforming and punishing people for particular political viewpoints.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Although in general there's something that rubs me the wrong way about the whole idea of forcing bakers to make gay wedding cakes, I accept that to gain something I find to be increasingly necessary (the removal of ideological purity tests) that unfortunately there are things that must be sacrificed for the sake of consistency. As for your second point, I'm sure you're aware that in making judgements judges are often able to take into account the point of the law if such a thing is blindingly obvious. The point of the law is obviously not to force people to keep things hogging space on shop shelves, it would be to prevent companies being pressured into deplatforming and punishing people for particular political viewpoints.

I'm surprised you trust the legal system to accurately decide such variables, given how subjective they can be and how politically motivated individual judges can be.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 30, 2021 11:56 pm

Albrenia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Although in general there's something that rubs me the wrong way about the whole idea of forcing bakers to make gay wedding cakes, I accept that to gain something I find to be increasingly necessary (the removal of ideological purity tests) that unfortunately there are things that must be sacrificed for the sake of consistency. As for your second point, I'm sure you're aware that in making judgements judges are often able to take into account the point of the law if such a thing is blindingly obvious. The point of the law is obviously not to force people to keep things hogging space on shop shelves, it would be to prevent companies being pressured into deplatforming and punishing people for particular political viewpoints.

I'm surprised you trust the legal system to accurately decide such variables, given how subjective they can be and how politically motivated individual judges can be.

My faith in judges is probably too strong. It comes from studying law and being told how the independent judiciary is the greatest thing in the world and how they don't care about politics and just want to follow the law etc.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

My faith in judges is probably too strong. It comes from studying law and being told how the independent judiciary is the greatest thing in the world and how they don't care about politics and just want to follow the law etc.

ah yes, the Stephen Breyer school of thought, also called "bullshit"
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General