NATION

PASSWORD

Disney Parks To Alter Iconic Jungle Cruise Attraction

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:As of a recent announcement, Disney has released a statement on their plans to refurbish their famous Jungle Cruise attraction to make it more culturally sensitive.
Tweet:
NSG, your thoughts?

Although this change may come sadly to some, I believe that this alteration may be necessary to revitalize the attraction and to preserve its reputation to further generations.

I don't think it's bad to remove cultural stereotypes. I DO think it was mishandled in Pirates of the Caribbean when the pirates chasing the women during the sacking of the town was changed to pirates chasing women CARRYING PLATES OF HAM.

I mean, come on. I first experienced that ride waaaaaay back in the 70s and never questioned that the pirates were chasing the women. I probably thought about it from the perspective of a first or second grader -- boys were gross and had cooties and wanted to steal a kiss from the girls, who did not want that.

But yes, if they are for altering the tribes depicted as savages and cannibals to something more realistic, then I say go ahead. Enjoying a ride should not be at the expense of others' dignity, and 'it's tradition!' is a piss-poor excuse to continue it.

Yeah, I can ageee with that
Ohioan, friend, and adept memer, Baloo has got it all.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Heloin wrote:
Senkaku wrote:that is a little bit weird, but I hope you enjoyed nonetheless

Imagine the teacups ride with the banner just married draped around one of them.

Get bombed and do star tours with pee wee Herman 3 times. GOD DAMM IT.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

It was great, we had a blast

It is a lot more common than apparently you think, there are millions of Disney freaks out there. If you have time Google Disney Park fans, or look on YouTube. Its a rat hole

And I’m one of them...heh heh heh

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Kermit T Frog wrote:
Atheris wrote:Because it would be another company pretending to be progressive and relatable so they can exploit their Chinese sweatshops even harder for that cold, hard cash. It's a scummy business practice.

Disney exploits slave labor regardless of what they do in the parks.

Kermit, wink if you are in trouble and need help....

;)

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

There is something wrong with that article, i thought they redid splash mountain like a decade ago? And Disney not tying it into a movie? Someone needs to get fired.

Last I heard, Splash Mountain was getting refurbished into a Princess and the Frog theme. That was back in May. Not much word since.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Disney Parks To Alter Iconic Jungle Cruise Attraction

Postby Deacarsia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Yet another victim on the list of unnecessary and stupid changes being made to iconic attractions and landmarks.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:The Pee-Wee Herman injustice? In reference to R3X?

Yes, he was genius.

I imagine that was after Paul Reubens was discovered breaking a law in Sarasota that people judged made him unsuitable as a kid's show host. Despite it having absolutely NOTHING to do with kids.

The irony is that the Pee-Wee Herman character was NOT a kid-friendly character to begin with. He was a persona for an adult comedy audience. They bowdlerized him to make a kiddie show.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Heloin wrote:Imagine the teacups ride with the banner just married draped around one of them.

Get bombed and do star tours with pee wee Herman 3 times. GOD DAMM IT.

I don't know what a pee wee Herman is and I don't think I want to know.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Disney needs to make their park more anomalous. They need things that don't make sense like Goofy and Donald Duck as the explorers on the Jungle ride. Also, they need flying cats and hairy rhinoceri. They are too stereotyplical and they rationalize things too much. They need to go a lot farther than proper multiculturalism to include true nonsense in a lot of things they do. Talking rabbits like Alice In Wonderland and other things. Mickey Mouse should be in there not people. Goofy should be in that tree not a bunch of white explorers and the rhino should have googly eyes. So many things which they try and make real are in bad taste. Think of the Phantom Tollbooth and Ewoks, not fairytale stereotypes. I like The Brave Little Toaster not Jane of the Jungle.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Romextly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Um. Well, now there goes the orignial stories.I understand why, but still, it's just a ride

Kermit T Frog
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kermit T Frog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kermit T Frog wrote:Disney exploits slave labor regardless of what they do in the parks.

Kermit, wink if you are in trouble and need help....

;)

They keep us locked up in the theater, and what they did to beaker, sweet, innocent, pure beaker.....

<shudder>
This nation does not represent the views of the Walt Disney company.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:44 pm

Kermit T Frog wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Kermit, wink if you are in trouble and need help....

;)

They keep us locked up in the theater, and what they did to beaker, sweet, innocent, pure beaker.....

<shudder>

You’re giving me memories of the SNL “Disney Vault” Sketch

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

It was great, we had a blast

It is a lot more common than apparently you think, there are millions of Disney freaks out there. If you have time Google Disney Park fans, or look on YouTube. Its a rat hole

They used to (maybe still do?) have weddings in which the couple arrived in Cinderella's Carriage.... and there are a LOT of adults who go in outfits INSPIRED BY the characters (like, color schemes and such, since adults are NOT allowed to be in costume unless they work there for reasons that should be very obvious).

There is a reason that there are nightclubs at the resorts, and of course the nearly legendary Club 33.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Yes, he was genius.

I imagine that was after Paul Reubens was discovered breaking a law in Sarasota that people judged made him unsuitable as a kid's show host. Despite it having absolutely NOTHING to do with kids.

The irony is that the Pee-Wee Herman character was NOT a kid-friendly character to begin with. He was a persona for an adult comedy audience. They bowdlerized him to make a kiddie show.

Hilarious on so many levels, in so many ways.

They were bright enough to see he should be on the air, but they had no idea what to do with him.

The shame was he was just so good at what he did, he is a very good character actor,.and it tanked his career. And he was great in star tours in English and French.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I imagine that was after Paul Reubens was discovered breaking a law in Sarasota that people judged made him unsuitable as a kid's show host. Despite it having absolutely NOTHING to do with kids.

The shame was he was just so good at what he did, he is a very good character actor,.and it tanked his career. And he was great in star tours in English and French.

It is a shame. Do you remember him in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie with Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland, and Rutger Hauer?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

It is a shame. Do you remember him in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie with Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland, and Rutger Hauer?

He really died in that movie.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

He really died in that movie.

:lol2:

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Cool. Who cares?
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:50 pm

Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:54 pm

Okay, whatever, now can they stop using slave labor and pay their employees a living wage?

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 pm

This from the people who brought us "Song of the South" and Jim Crow in "Dumbo." Better late than never I suppose.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:52 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:This from the people who brought us "Song of the South" and Jim Crow in "Dumbo." Better late than never I suppose.

I liked Jim Crow (the bird myself). Though it was in poor taste to name him “Jim Crow”.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 pm

Nejii wrote:
Postauthoritarian America wrote:This from the people who brought us "Song of the South" and Jim Crow in "Dumbo." Better late than never I suppose.

I liked Jim Crow (the bird myself). Though it was in poor taste to name him “Jim Crow”.

That...that is just not a good name. Ever.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm

How was it culturally insensitive?
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Nejii wrote:

That...that is just not a good name. Ever.

Oh I agree. But name aside I like the crow. He could sing and was funny.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General